United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2014 by R Barton    (UK)

MAN-EWR-MAN. Premium economy out and regular back. First experience with United, and also first time transatlantic on a narrow body. Seats were fine, legroom in economy plus a bonus but other than that no benefits over standard economy. Staff pleasant, flights on time and seats reasonably comfortable. Food was very good as was seat back entertainment. Only minor issue was the need to keep carry on under seats due to overheads being full. Would recommend and certainly use again. Point to point beats wasting time in transit.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2014 by W Cooper    (USA)

Arrived at the airport an hour early as expected and the flight was oversold. The agent refused to check us in or check my bags, great reception for a family of 3 first class passengers as she said we weren't there 1.5 hours beforehand. Gate agent stalled until the flight departed and continued to say she was having trouble entering passports until all the connections had left and could only rebook the next day.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by I Annis    (Japan)

I make a round trip flight from the west coast to Japan every 3 months. Usually fly with Korean or Hawaiian. This time, because the price was a little less. I flew on United/ANA. The people staff were friendly, but the space in the cabin was by far tighter than any of the other carriers that we have used over the last year. When you are on a 12-15 hour flight it makes a big difference. Space - not acceptable, baggage allowance - not acceptable, food - barely acceptable. Total: chose a different carrier (unless you are 5'2" or less and saving $50 is the only consideration).

United Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by G Martynov    (USA)

San Francisco to Tokyo. The entertainment system did not work for first couple of hours. The distance between the seats is terrible (on the way back I used ANA, the distance is much-much bigger). All lavatories were dirty and smelt. For the broken entertainment system they told us to go to their site and apply for some kind of reward. A month later and nothing. No more United!

United Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2014 by Marcus Nyberg    (Sweden)

Stockholm - Newark - Las Vegas - Chicago - London. Like many others I got stuck in Newark due to the weather problems, which I guess is out of United's control. However, throughout the process of finding a new flight I felt like all ground staff just wanted to get rid of me. Never did they express any type of sympathy for my stressful situation. On the way back, United did not manage to check me in on a connecting flight with a Star Alliance partner (so much for the seamless experience). They did not offer any real help to solve the problem either and just referred me to my travel agency. Later, I learned that it was actually United themselves that had caused the problem when rebooking my outbound flight without updating the all legs of the journey! The actual flight experience was not that great, poor food, old planes, poor entertainment systems, grumpy ladies serving drinks, etc.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Eleuterio Fernandez    (USA)

UA 1065, EWR-MEX. I scored a last minute upgrade, which made the trip very enjoyable. The Business service was quite good. Only fault is catering doesn't match their printed menus. I would've preferred the pasta, but there are only two pasta entrees from catering, so I had the fish. It was decent. Flight crew extraordinarily friendly.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by H Park    (UK)

Flew on LHR-EWR route. On our way out to NY was just what you expected from an airline of this reputation, nothing special, average performance. However, on 6th Jan, from EWR to LHR on UA0044, I can only describe the whole experience as hell. Turned up at the airport at 6am, 3 hrs ahead of our flight, waited patiently in the long line. When we got to an agent she told me I may have a seat but my hubby has a standby ticket, because the flight is oversold. I tried to question the absurdity (we bought tickets a year ago, flew the week before, and turned up at the airport 3 hrs early for check-in). Puzzled and panicking we went through security believing that there was some sort of mistake. Proceeded to our gate hoping to speak to someone but there were already plenty of people like us lining up asking similar questions. We had to wait until everyone was on board. Until they closed the gate eventually around 11, I had never heard a single apology from the 3 ladies at the gate. Eventually told there were no seats left and told to go to customer service with some food vouchers and some check to clear. Still no apology, no explanation. We finally got on a plane that night, and only to find that our bags were missing when we got to LHR. Seats ok, food awful, crew needs some training on PA and would be really nice to see some smiley faces if possible.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by A Willi    (USA)

After boarding flight 1120 from San Diego to Chicago the steward announced that we would be deplaning because there was no pilot. 3 hours later the new pilot announced that the delay was caused by United who sent the scheduled crew to San Francisco the night before, putting them over the new regulations for rest time between flights. He said United knew this and failed to schedule a new crew or alert passengers timely. I missed my Connection in Chicago. The bad weather set in and I spent two nights in Chicago. Instead of a direct flight to Harrisburg on Monday, I had to connect at D.C I missed that connection because of a weight imbalance on the plane and ended up spending over $230 to rent a car to drive to Harrisburg. I understand weather delays but I would have been home before the storm set in if United hadn't screwed up big time.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by J Paker    (Japan)

My international flight from Seattle to Narita on Jan 6th was average in quality, and I was about as comfortable as one can be on a 14 hour flight. The connecting flight from KCI to Denver on Jan 5th was atrocious, and for no good reason at all. While a huge number of flights into and out of Denver were being canceled due to weather, this incidental connecting flight was delayed for hours because of poor planning. Boarding was delayed because the plane's heating system failed. When we did board, it was still freezing. The de-icing process also took longer than expected. When we finally arrived in Denver, we were told to wait in the longest customer service line I had ever seen. All of us were wasting our time. We waited 3 hours to be told we should have left on a flight that left about an hour after we landed. The customer service workers in Denver and Seattle were very helpful and very overworked, but I'm sorry to say they are the exception to the rule. Most were capable but unwilling to help. All of my other flights with United have been completely average, nothing to complain about, and most have been international. For the most part, United is a pretty average airline. But if you get in a pickle, the poor quality of the majority of United's staff is likely to snowball your problems and delays.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by John Smith    (Canada)

Booked with a family of 6 from Orlando to Houston to Vancouver. No notice that check-in line was 7 hrs because of storms in North East. Our flight was delayed to the point we could not connect in Houston. We were encouraged to go on standby. We were never placed on the standby list by the United Staff member. However our luggage left. We were also told that failing the standby flight we were booked on a flight 5 days later. When I called to confirm two days later there was a reported 12 hour hold queue. Finally got through to United to be told we were not booked on any flight to return. It appears the staff member only told us what we wanted to hear to get us out of the airport - nothing they said was true. Flew Westjet home. I understand that weather happens but deal with the resulting issues with some honesty and class. I will never deal with United again. 3 days home and still no luggage.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Casavantes Andrea    (USA)

I will never fly United ever again. Leaving from LAX-ELP United decided to do "maintenance" on the aircraft before it takes off which set us back 2 hours in departure which meant most everyone was going to miss their connecting flight in Denver. We were redirected to the customer service which took 1.5 hrs standing in line to finally be told that there were no flights until the next day that could take me home. Ridiculous. At least they had the decency to pay for the hotel. Next day fly out to Denver waiting for my connecting flight to ELP there is a 30 minute delay again because of "maintenance". Plane supposed to leave at 3, at 4 they tell us that we are changing gates and plane so more delays and we are still waiting to know what time they decide to leave since apparently we are running on their time schedule. I cannot believe how unorganized this airline is and how they make traveling so torturous.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Letina Jeranyama    (USA)

What a horrible experience and lack of customer service. I flew from Boston, MA with a connecting flight from Washington Dulles to Atlanta. I was scheduled to arrive at 2.45 but I did not arrive until 7.45pm. To top it all off our bags did not arrive either. We were shuffled from gate to gate then to another terminal. There were no weather delays whatsoever and no explanation was offered. When our airplane finally taxied off we still had to wait on the runway because the airplane had no fuel. Then I was told my luggage was arriving at 1 am. It is now 5 pm the next day and I have been given an eta but still no bag. Needless to say I will not be flying United again. The lack of customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by J Becker    (USA)

Flew United from Tokyo, Japan to Bangkok, Thailand. Pretty disappointing. Despite being a fairly long international flight, there was no real entertainment choices like on most other airlines. Service was friendly enough. We had a delay of four hours and United did not even let us know, which was also disappointing. Got us from point A to point B, but with no frills or exceeding of expectations.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Jonathan Griffiths    (Hong Kong)

San Francisco to Hong Kong with United was substandard in every regard. Firstly, boarding was a disorganized mess. Once on board the decrepit old plane was woefully short of enough storage space for customer's bags. Twice a stressed out crew member stood on my seat, without really excusing herself, to try and cram bags into the overhead storage. Next I was dismayed and shocked to discover we had shared TV screens on a 14.5 hour flight. Scheduling a plane for such a long flight that has shared TV screens is ridiculous. Thirdly, I was baffled by the fact that United now charges for alcohol on international flights - the only airline to do so. I do not expect to have to pay for a glass of wine with my dinner on a 14 hour plus flight. I suspect that United will lose a lot of international customers with this short sighted and stingy policy. Next problem was that my vegetarian meal that I had booked weeks before wasn't available. I had to make do with scraps that the crew could find. So, shared TV, charged for alcohol, my reserved meal unavailable and an old, uncomfortable and falling apart plane. Why would anyone choose to fly with an old fashioned and out of touch airline?

United Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by M Morgan    (USA)

I arrived in Chicago at 4.30pm and was supposed to be on a connecting flight to Mobile, AL at 6.30, arriving around 8.30. After being at the airport about 10 minutes, the flight was delayed until 9.30. 10 minutes later it was pushed up to 8.30. An hour later we got delayed until 9.30 and had a gate change. 30 minutes later we were delayed until 10.00 and another gate change. As soon as we got to that gate we were informed we had been delayed yet again until 10.30 and that we had another gate change in a completely different terminal building. By the time we got to that terminal the flight had been cancelled. They told us the next flight to mobile wasn't leaving for 24 hours. We eventually got to New Orleans and had to rent a car to drive home. United had no remorse and their response was "sorry".

United Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by F Jacobs    (USA)

We were a family of 4 with 2 children under 7 traveling from San Francisco to Mexico City. United has the only direct service between these 2 cities and we have flown the route perhaps 10 times in the past. The flight to Mexico used to be a morning one but now it is an inconvenient night flight. The legroom was very tight on the Boeing 737 but everything went to plan. Return flight was an early morning flight and we arrived at the airport at 4.30am and were informed that the flight had been cancelled due to "no crew". Waited in line over 5 hours to talk to a ticket agent and she put us on standby to Houston and to connect from there. Got called at the gate and told only two of us could go which was ridiculous. We spent 18 hours meeting flights at various gates and told to come back in the morning. We got hotel vouchers, but only after insisting. The following morning we were given a confirmed flight a full week from our scheduled flight so I booked a flight with American Airlines through Dallas to San Francisco. Check-in was electronic and we only had to stand in line for 30 minutes to check the baggage. This fiasco cost us an extra $2000.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax