United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Colleen Knox    (USA)

Flight on April 22, 2014 was delayed and then, cancelled. After sitting and being told the takeoff was being delayed 3x, they finally cancelled the flight. Announcing, casually, that it was cancelled and everyone needed to go to Customer Service. No warning. No "We are really sorry." No approaching the customer to help us out.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by J McIvor    (Canada)

I've had an awful experience both times I've flown with United. The first time, all my flights were over booked and delayed. (Two flights there and back, due to connections.) They gave us very little information about why, and were extremely pushy when finally getting us to board the plane. We spent a long time sitting in the plane after being boarded with no explanation before we finally took off. They offered compensation to take a later flight, but I had already been delayed for 2+ hours! On the more recent flight, the flight was overbooked and I was unable to get on. There were no other flights out of YYC to SEA, and I ended up having to cancel my trip. They have not been helpful when I tried to contact them. They told me they were transferring me to International Customer Service, but I was just disconnected! I would not recommend United. Avoid them if you can!

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by G Bampfield    (UK)

I can honestly say this was the worst trip I have had in 20 years. Seat allocation is by far the worst especially if you are travelling with children. Chances of getting seats together are slim. My 11 year old wasn't even allocated a seat regardless how many times we tried online prior to flying and we booked last June. After a lot of stress got a seat but not together. They over book all flights and offer people compensation if they take another flight. Or offer you an upgrade to get all seats together as they tried with us for an extra££80 each. As someone said to us on the flight was that they are only after money. As regards to check in at Heathrow. What a mess. All electronic to get boarding passes. It was like a bun fight. United make a big thing about there new systems and app but have forgotten the most important thing. The customer. Luggage. Make sure each bag is under weight. As they don't take into account overall weight. Tried to charge us £150 for 1 bag over by 2 lbs. We transferred it to a lighter bag. As I said before only interested in the money. They could learn a thing or too from EasyJet as regards to seating. The food was good is the only positive experience. I would never use again.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Tompkins    (USA)

I am sitting in First, EWR-LHR so can't complain too much, but I'm shocked at how a global first customer is treated. First I had to argue with the gate agent at the entrance to the global first/global services lobby who said I was not allowed in. I pointed out that I was flying global first 3 times and then demanded that we ask the people inside, who said I was, of course, welcome. After heading into the lounge, which at EWR is only a United club, not first, I went to the gate which was chaotic. They called global services group 1 and I came in behind the one GS person in group 1. I was actually pulled out of line and held back because they said only global services. I asked about global first and group 1 which was being called and was promptly told first class is very different from global services. I know now why I usually just take Lufthansa and connect through Germany for their grace and ease. It is amply clear that we million miler 1k fliers just aren't worth much at united. Why bother being loyal.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by W Buddenbaum    (USA)

My flight out of Austin to San Francisco was delayed over an hour which caused me to miss my next flight. That flight was the last one out of SF for the night. The 3 people at the counter in Austin told me bluntly that there would be no compensation for the fact that I was going to stay the night sleeping in the terminal in SF. When I arrived in SF, I went to the counter in Terminal 1 looking to get my boarding pass for the next day. I was handed hotel and food vouchers. I use United because they're the only carrier out of my smallish town (Chico, CA) and before getting that voucher, I had promised myself never to use United and to drive the almost 2 hours to Sacramento to use another carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Bill Byers    (USA)

My first trip to Asia, IAD-SFO-ICN (Seoul Incheon) and back. A319 from IAD to SFO was small, first class seats were old and not great. FA's were good, food was OK, Flew global first on a 747 to Seoul. Toilets stopped working half way through the flight and we landed in Osaka for repairs. Delayed my trip by two hours but the crew handled it well. Return flights was upstairs in business first, seat was narrow but not bad, IFE was good, food was also good. SFO to IAD on a 757-200 that had to be 25 years old with CRT IFE from 1990. FA's were excellent but the plane needs to be retired. Overall, a good trip and I truly think once United modernizes its fleet, it needs to decide if it wants to compete with the foreign carriers. If so, maybe a few less seats in business class, get away from 2-4-2 configuration, and perhaps better first class seating in the domestic fleet.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Corina Del Valle    (USA)

I fly with United because it is one the few alternatives to fly directly to Bogota. They do not respect the seat assignments. On 2 occasions, they changed without explanation, even though I had paid for economy plus set, they sent me to the back, I had to really fight to get one in economy plus. On a 5 hour international flight they give you nothing, just a drink. No entertainment.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Chase Landreth    (USA)

I flew First Class on UA14, HNL-EWR. The plane was clean and the entertainment system was excellent. The food, however was inedible. What they called "chicken cacciatore" was really a piece of cardboard. I have had better food in Coach on other airlines. Service on the flight was de minimus. The flight crew seemed only interested in finishing the pitiful dinner service as quickly as possible. Nobody flies for the food, but United sets the bar for the worst food and catering in the industry. I thought Delta had poor food (which they do), but by comparison, they look pretty good.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by J Young    (USA)

As a long time Continental customer and I really am trying to like United but they sure make it difficult. This is supposed to be an American company but they outsource customer service to India and Philippines with poor service to us customers. My flight from Narita to Newark Liberty was on a 777 that needs repairs and a good cleaning. My seat controls weren't working properly and the lavatories were dirty. Absolutely no amenities in the lavatories. I asked the flight staff for some soap and she gave me her own bacteria spray! For the cost of a business class ticket on this international flight you would think that United would provide what is standard on other airlines. The food was mediocre and no longer worthy of a business first pricing. All my other flights to Asia and around Asia were with Asiana and Bangkok Air. Amazing trips and outstanding service, staff and amenities. Of the Star Alliance group, United seems to be the only airline in the group charging outrageous prices and giving the customers barely basic services. I know all our USA airlines are the same, lousy service, but it sure does embarrass us with the rest of the world and I envy their far superior airlines. I took several 45 minute flights on Bangkok Air and would you believe they provided box breakfast/lunch with soft drink on each flight at no extra charge. And served and cleaned up over 100 passengers within the 45 minutes. It takes that long to get one drink, sometimes, with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-NRT-LAX (en-route to BKK) BizFirst on UA's new 787. Service both directions was really top notch. The crew were professional and attentive and on both legs, the International Service Co-ordinator came to personally thank each passenger for their business and for choosing United (I thought that added a very nice touch). Meals were actually quite good and the wine parings worked well. Opted for the Japanese meal on the return and found it pleasantly delicious (including the array of sushi appetizers). The best thing about the trip was the aircraft. Arrived refreshed and didn't feel like I'd spent 12 hours in an airplane upon landing. Would recommend flying the a/c wherever possible. Overall, high marks for this flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Patrick Bellot    (USA)

Orange County-SFO, Round Trip - April 2014. Be aware: paying extra for an Economy Plus gives you the privilege to board last (group 5). On a full plane, it means that the overhead bins will be full when you embark and you will be deny boarding with your carry-ons. They will be checked at the gate of the aircraft. It happened to us on both legs of this trip even though our carry-ons were undersized and we had only one per person other than my wife's purse and my computer shoulder bag. But for our surcharge, we had a free half glass of water served by stern attendants. What a bargain! Too bad Virgin America no longer flies out of SNA. I really miss them. Their service is light years ahead of United. And when you pay a premium for a Virgin seat, you have real perks coming with it. Not bait and deceit.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by B Certain    (USA)

Most excruciating flight I have endured was the 757 UA flight from Newark to Oslo on 5 April. The seats in economy were sadistically cramped. The aisle was so narrow that the crew could not move their carts without repeatedly banging and bumping into passenger seats. United's utter contempt for its customers and its crews is all too evident in its creation of such a tortuous experience. United has finally jumped the shark in the cheap, cheesy, penny-pinching department. I can choose to fly another airline and, believe me, I will.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Shaukat Mahmood    (USA)

This was our worst experience. United Airlines had already been the airline with the most customer complaints and proved to be true when we took a trip to Florida. On the way back our flight for 3pm had been delayed for 5pm and then was cancelled due to "maintenance issues." We took another flight for 8pm and again was delayed to 9.30pm. We asked the lady at the counter and she said that the cabin crew wasn't prepared for travel so they delayed the flight. They are disorganized and I will never be flying United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by T Funk    (USA)

United Express: I flew from ORD to ASE in March and although they have us over a barrel as they are the only airline with non- stops, the flight wasn't bad. We had to cram into a little regional jet, definitely much smaller than United's traditional mainline aircraft, but it was a relatively new plane. The seats did seem smaller, but the service was jut about the same as its big brother. The fare was on the high side, though.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by K John    (USA)

I have flown from Newark to Delhi or Mumbai multiple times. The routing works well for me, as I can access EWR from Philadelphia easily with the Amtrak codeshare, although since they require more than a 3 hour layover in EWR on the way back, the codeshare is only useful outbound. I like the Economy Plus seating, which is a plus for the long trip. Despite being at the top Premier level, however, I find that I never get upgraded to business class despite supposedly having "System-wide upgrades" available. In practice these can never be used on these flights in my experience, and one has to pay extra to be "eligible" then does not get the upgrade anyway. I am trying to book a ticket now, and even though 38/40 business class seats are empty, they will not confirm the upgrade, and from what one reads on the internet, the only way to get it is to check again and again and again and perhaps you might get lucky when they have opened one. In general the "free upgrade" offer for international travel seems to be a scam. The economy plus seating is better than normal economy though, although I'm not sure it compares favorably with other airlines' economy.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by T Gugelyk    (USA)

HNL to BKK. Aborted take off in HNL. Plane back to ramp, sit inside plane for 5 hours. Problem could not be fixed, mechanical. Flight cancelled. Told to disembark, get out luggage at Arrivals, and go to Departure area to rebook. This on a 747 with 350 plus people on it - all pulling their luggage about 1/2 mile to Departure area. Line up at departure area United to re-book - wait 7 hours to get to counter. Only 2 staff members to rebook the entire airplane. I was put on Delta the next day to NRT. Gave me $10 voucher for meals, and over night free stay in Waikiki hotel. Cheapest meal at hotel was $18. Next AM, Delta took off on time got me to TKO, then transfer to United back to BKK. Never again with United!

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Jay Smith    (USA)

I flew from DCA-EWR on Monday April 14. It was a mess, United cancelled all of its flight out of DC without any reason. The weather was perfect, my flight was suppose to be at 11.30am, they cancelled it, then I was put on the 4.30pm, which was delayed, and finally at 6.30pm they decided to cancel. They don't think of their passengers, they don't respect their time, this airline is really the worst airline I've ever flown. Would not recommend.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by K Jenkins    (UK)

London Heathrow-Chicago O'Hare, UA0929. Chicago O’Hare Intl-Denver, UA1014, 29th May 2013. Denver-Rapid City, UA4914. Rapid City-Chicago O’Hare, UA4414. Chicago O’Hare-London Heathrow, UK. UA0938, 23rd June 2013. I cannot understand United are not upping their care for its customers. We flew with United on our last holiday and quite honestly never again. We have flown to many places around the world and United without any doubt are the worst airline I have used. The cabin crew are lazy and somewhat rude, doing as little as they can. They could not even ask for the window blinds to be raised when coming in to land at London Heathrow. They did a standard talk when we were on the plane (with a special welcome to our premium and military customers). So quite obviously the economy passengers do not matter remembering of course that it is economy passengers that are the bulk of their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by L Grand    (USA)

We flew from LAX to Dublin, Ireland. I will never fly United again. The plane looked old, it was also dirty. The drink service took forever! I realized it was because when you order a soda they don't give you a cup of ice and the can anymore. No. They now open a can a pour some into the cup for you and then use the same can for the next passenger. I've never had an airline do this. Very cheap. The worst part was the food. I am a vegetarian. When I booked the flight and went online to request a vegetarian option, the only option I saw was Indian food. I highly dislike Indian food so I thought this was odd. I called customer service to inquire about other vegetarian options. They have no satisfactory options for vegetarians. I told her I would stick with the regular meal instead, my plan was to eat the sides. When the meal service came around they brought me the Indian vegan plate! I told them that I did not request this and asked for a regular meal. They said they did not have enough and maybe once they served everyone if there was an extra I could have it. I didn't eat on the way to Ireland. On the way back I had to make sure to bring food for me to eat on the plane. Both flights, to and from, were delayed by 2+ hours.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by K OMalley    (USA)

I recently was on a United flight from DFW to ORD with my two small children (3 years and 10 months). After takeoff it became necessary for me to change my daughter's diaper. I pressed the flight attendant button and told the man that I needed to utilize the restroom with my daughter but since the lavatory was so small it was impossible to bring my 3 year old son with me. I asked if he could keep an eye on him just to ensure he stayed seated. I was told very tersely that this was not his job and he couldn't possibly do such a thing. I tried contacting United and got the following response "The flight attendants are not required to assist with these type of activities, it is strictly up to the flight attendants." If you offer no assistance for people traveling alone with multiple children, perhaps you should make your customers aware of your flight attendants utter uselessness before they board a plane assuming they will be treated as valued customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by Charles Kennedy    (UK)

SFO-LAX and LAX-LHR - in the recent past this airline has made my no-fly list for being unreliable to the point of fitting the description of "not fit for purpose" so I was reluctant to use them on this routing but had no choice as it was part of a Star Alliance mileage redemption. In fact both flights were easy to check in with no surprises, boarded in an orderly way, pushed early, the crew were friendly, the meal on the 777 from LA to London was tasty, the entertainment options on the 777 were diverse and well chosen (and no tedious pre-roll ads before the movies), and my bags were on the carousel promptly. Couldn't ask for more, so they're off my no-fly list and fingers crossed for a few more flights like this. All we need now is to get rid of the ghastly 90s photoshop globe with the wonky perspective and bring back the Saul Bass tulip.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Oswald Elphick    (Australia)

First time when we used united airlines, international connecting flight in San Francisco, we notice their system are very disorganised in their terminal, no one to help and most staff are not helpful. On another experience coming back from LAX going back to Sydney the staff at check were the same - all unhelpful. All they did was stand and talk among themselves.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by L Carpenter    (USA)

United Airlines was a disaster to travel through and not worth the amount of stress they cause all of their passengers. I was on a 7 hour flight, and they had all movies and shows on repeat. The staff were very unhelpful. My flight ended up getting cancelled and I got re-routed to a much longer flight pattern. There were others I could have taken, but United were SO unhelpful that I didn't find out until after the flight. The people there have no idea what they're doing. I was a day late for an important meeting. I received nothing in return for the inconvenience.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by H Castle    (USA)

SAN-IAH-AMS, LHR-LAX-SAN in economy plus. Planes were clean, service was professional and pleasant, food decent, IFE was very good, and my baggage arrived with me. One flight segment, IAH-AMS, was 40 minutes late departing but arrived on time thanks to strong tailwinds. No complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Larsen Troy    (USA)

We were on the last leg of our trip at Denver Airport when out flight had been delayed 5 times. After the fifth time they changed out gate assignment and again the flight was delayed twice. After waiting until almost all other flights from the airport were gone for the night our flight was canceled. We were sent to customer service where things were even worse. Told we would have to stay in Denver until late the next day or even until 2 days from then. I was able to find flights the next day on many other airlines but they would not allow. We then decided to driver home from Denver, Co to Madison WI (15 hours) with two young kids. The customer service lady gave us some vouchers for the food stores in the airport but the stores would not accept these vouchers. I will pay great amounts of money and drive hours to other airports to never use this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by A Dennis    (USA)

United overbooked my flight. They asked me to take a later flight to Hawaii, when I refused they changed my flight anyway which gave me a five hour wait at the SF airport. They offered nothing for this inconvenience and acted as if they were doing me a favor. This was my first and last trip on United.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Camirand Felix    (Canada)

Very disappointed with my experience with United on Feb 2014. Had a first flight that was oversold, we couldn't get on the plane. Had to be re-routed and got 3 flights instead of 2 originally, scheduled to arrive at 9 pm instead of 4.30 pm to destination. We found out prior to our last flight that we had not been properly booked into the flight, had to be changed to another flight again, after an hour of waiting at the understaffed customer service desk. At destination, now trying to confirm our seats for the return flight. It's been cancelled! We've tried to call customer service, after a 20 minutes wait, we're told that we need to be transferred to international flight dept. Another 20 minute wait. Another transfer. We ended up waiting 2hours. Very poor service.