United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Eric Stombaugh    (USA)

United Airlines needs serious work on maintenance, pilots and air crew. I fly (or used to up till now) about 6 times a month for the last 6 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of flights that actually left or arrived on time. There were crew issues (I sat at the gate with the plane present for over 1.5 hrs waiting on a crew from another flight to show up). There were maintenance issues (we are on the plane which was late showing up in the first place, supposed to leave at 8.50 plane shows up 9.20. Load the plane by 9.40, sit at the gate because main door would not indicate sealed until 10.15 then cancelled flight. Wait over 12 hours for a new flight). Pilot issues (plane late arriving again, after 2 hour delay pilots get on load plane, plane pulls out of gate, then returns to gate. Pilots leave flight their hours are up. Time used while sitting at gate on phones not flying). If I'm late by 1 minute the door shuts can't get on the plane, ok my fault. I sit waiting for over 12 hours because the plane has issues, suck it up not even a sorry.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Krishnamoorthi    (USA)

We sent our son, 11 years old, from San Francisco to Austin, TX for a trip on his own. When we were booking his flight on united.com, it said that there was a mandatory $300 airline service fee for unaccompanied minors, if a child is under 12. The $300 was supposed to pay for a mandatory "unaccompanied minor service". According to them, the fee will give the child a United representative to be of help at all times. When we got to the airport, though, we learned that the "service" was a scam, and that they weren't going to do anything for my son. We thought they were going to help him through security and onto the gate, but no. They told us that we could have gate passes and go through the security line and help him onto his flight. We were expecting them to help my son for anything he needed, but it seemed that they were treating him like he was an adult, and didn't care that he was going on a flight all by himself. Today, he is supposed to come back from Austin, but his flight is delayed due to technical difficulties for 5 hours, and instead of taking care of my son, as I have paid them to do so, I they instead have called my son's aunt, whom my son was living with in Austin, and asked her to come and wait with my son for the duration of the time. We are wondering why we have paid this fee and what it even includes. When his aunt went to tell the the airline service that my son has the unaccompanied minor service, they told her that they don't care and that she must wait in the line like everyone else. This is horrible service, and is terrible compared to other airlines. I will not be flying with United Airlines after this experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Grundy Vanessa    (Canada)

We flew home from Germany to Alberta, Canada, we had a stop over in Chicago IL. United Airlines had the worst service we have ever had from an airline company. The people were very unhelpful. Here is what happened, an explanation of why we are so disappointed. The customer service was the worst we have had. It was our honeymoon, we boarded our initial flight in Barcelona Spain with a different airline, they flew us to Germany at which point we were to get on our UA flight. The first thing that annoyed us was that the UA airline baggage people didn't even make an effort to get our luggage on our first UA flight (this is something we didn't find out until we were already in Chicago). The lady we spoke to in Chicago simply said "you had a short layover and in cases like that we don't get the luggage because its too difficult." Once we were in Chicago and realized our baggage hadn't made it onto our plane, we were told that it would be very easy to give the UA baggage office our address and they would ship them to us the next day. So we landed in Calgary (an hour late) and went to the UA baggage office to report our missing bags and give our address to them. We waited at their office for 1.5 hrs. This was a very frustrating experience in regards to the baggage and customer service. On a final note, I would not recommend traveling with United Airlines (Lufthansa)!

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Filsone Tony    (USA)

United Airlines business or first class to Aruba is very bad. Misleading advertising, service and claimed equipment is false. No inflight entertainment as advertised. No video or music in First Class. Seats, tray and pockets all dirty with food and garbage from last passenger. This was a brand new plane and in first class the seats were so close I could not get out of my seat without disturbing the passenger in front of me or to my side. Food was spoiled with rancid oil used. Staff could care less. Not even power for my laptop to get work done. Wi-Fi, entertainment, power all advertised and paid for but got none of it. All bait and switch. This was a blatant rip-off of a consumer. Make you pay for services and then you don't get them.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by De Stefani    (France)

I flew 3 times with UA during our July 2014 vacations: a round trip Houston-Managua and Houston-Munich. 1) Houston-Managua-Houston: a 3 hour trip and neither a packet of peanuts nor a coke to offer. All was chargeable but water. Never experienced it before with a major airline. 2) Houston-Munich: Firstly our initial flight was cancelled after a 4 hours wait. Ground staff overwhelmed. We waited 2 hours more for rebooking on next day flight, they lodged us for overnight in a poor hotel. When finally we took the next days flight, crew on board were unpleasant, neither a smile nor a "thank you" especially for the offloaded passenger of the previous day. Lunch and breakfast were unacceptable except for pets. Frankly I'm not a demanding guy nor a pain but I will never take this airline anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Alexa Barry    (USA)

After taking a red-eye from San Francisco, I was bumped from my flight. It happens, the planes were switched but the very blatant tension selection of those who got left behind was very frustrating. The customers left behind had booked their flight well in advance and there seemed to be a consistent trait, we were connectors from SF. The question of whether I was in for an adventure aka a delayed flight to a completely different location was condescending. No apology until I dealt with a woman at the end of the process. She treated the situation with sensitivity and realized that as a traveler and customer this could possibly be stressful and frustrating. As their customer it seemed like my Sunday was worth less than everyone on the plane. Perhaps they should under board planes, not over board them to make more money.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Bryan    (USA)

I have had several problems with UA over the years and tend to avoid them, but recently, I had no good option other than to travel with them from SFO to Dulles, round-trip in economy class. The return flight, on a 757-300, was horrific, with turbulence for hours. The pilot never really commented on it other than a brief, "It's bumpy so I've turned on the seat belt sign". I am only 5' 2" and 105 lbs. and I was unable to sit without my knees hitting the seat in front of me. There was no in-flight entertainment at all. I will continue to avoid flying UA at all costs even though they have a hub near us in SFO. My past grievance with them concerned their small seats, rude flight staff, and last-minute flight cancellations, back-to-back with other, overbooked flights. While turbulence is turbulence, it was handled very poorly.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Teresa Wall    (USA)

Flight from Cancun to Houston 8/5/14, arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs prior's to flight time of 3.02pm. It took the entire 2.5 hours to get through the check in line. Ended up having to run to catch the plane. Don't know why they didn't open more lanes, the line never got any shorter. When we finally got to the front the line was just as long if not longer than we got there 2.5 hours earlier. Stewardess's were not friendly. Only good thing was flight was on time.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Trumpold    (China)

The in-flight service and cabin cleanliness was terrible. I have flown this flight before it has been fine. This time around the flight staff were rude or off-handish. One flight attendant abruptly placed the food tray stating 'only chicken' when another flight attendant actually had pasta. When questioned we were spoken to rudely. The toilets were not cleaned, on other airlines they clean as you go. My wife mentioned to the flight attendants and their reply was 'you should see the rest of China' - we actually live in Beijing. They also said that she should wait until Beijing when it will be cleaned. Also, in years past (18 years I have been flying with UAL) United had been much better. Flight attendants didn't know when to turn lights on or off or when they were suppose to start the food/beverage services. Where has the United I once knew gone?

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Hector Lopez    (USA)

I have flown with United Airlines multiple times, so this is no "one time" incident. To have a something go wrong is almost unavoidable. My last experience, for example, was the last flight of a series of flights from Prague to New Orleans, if only it were that easy. The final flight, from Washington to New Orleans, was supposed to leave at 6:50. There was a "late inbound aircraft arrival" which kept us all in the airport for 3 hours constantly being reassured that the flight would be there shortly. I wish I could say that this incident was the only time it has happened, but unfortunately this is a feeling quite familiar to a United Aircraft flyer.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by V Brown    (USA)

July 23rd, GRR-ORD-LAX-LAS and on July 29th, LAS-DEN-GRR. The staff at United were so friendly and helpful! The flights were easy, quick and problem free. Even with an hour delay between connections we made it into our destination on time! We needed to change our seats so we could sit together and the attendants at both gates were quick and friendly about helping us!

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by K Kuprowski    (USA)

8am flight from Winnipeg to Chicago cancelled 12 hours early due to weather. How the airline knew there would be weather issues that far in advance is beyond me. The earlier flight and the later flight taking the same route went as scheduled. Was re-booked, unknown to me, with an overnight in Denver (final destination was Tampa). After much difficulty finding a number for the airline was able to get a different flight however leaving Aug 6th instead of 5th. Then asked to be refunded the checked baggage fee and was told I have to do that myself online. Checked the weather this morning and the skies between Winnipeg and Chicago all clear. Will stay clear of United from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by David Liebskind    (USA)

United has become a terrible airline since the merger with Continental. The service, customer focus and experience have all declined in the past few years. United no longer values loyal customers and it is evident by their service and how they treat their loyal members. I have been a loyal member for 20 years and have decided it is time to find another airline who will treat their passengers better and create a better flight and service experience. The delays also have been horrendous lately with waiting for flight crews to arrive.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by James Gerwin    (USA)

Flew Houston-Denver in Economy Plus. UAL charges you extra for deplorable seats. So narrow that the normal sized guy next to me was half in my seat. And the so called extra leg room is a scant 3 inches more for $50. The guy in front reclined his seat all the way, ans I thought I was in a tiny cage. UAL charges for AV service. The snack pack for $8 was just OK. The flight staff was friendly - the only positive about this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Agustin Xandrew    (Canada)

YWG-ORD, BUF-ORD. My flight was supposed to be at 6am but they had us waiting for 2 hours before they cancelled it, they rebooked me on a flight that was 11 hours later. On the same trip going back from Buffalo, the flight was 3 hours late, worst flight experience ever. I know flying United is sometimes cheaper, but its not even worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Analise Fagan    (USA)

I booked a straight flight from Washington Dulles to Toronto, CA. Keep in mind that this was a weekend trip and I was supposed to return Monday afternoon. My departing flight was scheduled for 3.20pm and we boarded around 4pm. The pilot announced that the door could not close completely so we had to wait for an Engineer to fix it. We waited on the plane for an hour. The Engineer came and it took an additional 30 minutes. We got on the runway then the pilot announced that Toronto had issued a no-fly restriction due to severe thunderstorms. We waited on the runway for an hour. They took us back to the terminal and after about 2 0minutes, it was time to take off, again. We got back on the runway, went to the same spot to prepare for take-off when the pilot announced that Toronto Intl. issued another no-fly restriction and we had to wait 30 more minutes. So we did. Then later, they called the plane off the runway and cancelled the flight. It took 2 hours to get to customer service so they could help me get on another flight. The Agents were so rude and barely attempted to help me find something that would take me to Toronto that night! Ended up booking me on a 5.45am flight Saturday morning. I left Washington Airport at 11pm. Saturday morning I got on a connecting flight through Texas. What was supposed to be a straight flight to Toronto took 6 hours! To make matters worse, my new booking was out of Reagan Airport so I had to adjust my return flight. They gave me a flight back on Air Canada (the Toronto to Chicago leg). I stood in line to check in and learned from the agent at Air Canada that United never officially reserved the seat for me. I had to run to United, get them to reserve the flight, give me a print out so that I could return to Air Canada. I connected in Chicago. The United flight from Chicago to DC was hour late. I lost time, money and sleep. United had no compassion and was unapologetic.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Pietrantuono    (Canada)

Completely disorganized, unfriendly and the least bit helpful. The customer service from the second I came into the airport in Toronto were so unwelcoming. After printing out my boarding passes at the kiosk with no help, (Sunwing kiosks had assistants walking around assisting people) struggled with a kiosk, and then headed to the line to check bags in. The girl at the desk just seemed so unimpressed and was very cold towards my family and I. Upon going through customs it was very disorganized and very little help was offered while at the receipt kiosks. While going through baggage check the man checking our carry ons was telling everyone that passed that our flight was cancelled. Mind you, the smartphone app said the flight was on time, early actually. We then got into the waiting area, there was just a sense of panic going on and nobody knew what was going on. A flight attendant came and confirmed it was cancelled. Maybe 10 minutes went by and another flight attendant came by and said it was in fact running on time and not to worry. All in all very disorganized and unwelcoming. I've always flown with Sunwing and I guess next time I won't be travelling with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Almedal So    (Sweden)

Flight from Detroit to New York was 3 hours late, which meant we arrived so late that there was nothing left of the day despite only a 1 hr 50 min flight. On the flight from NY to Stockholm we never experienced such unprofessional and unpleasant behaviour from the cabin crew. Overall grumpy except one younger female flight attendant. The older female was very harsh and unfriendly. We will never fly United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by R Williams    (USA)

HNL/LAX: The return flight from Honolulu to LAX was cancelled. Even though UA had our contact information, we were never notified that our flight had been cancelled. It wasn't until we went online to do our check-in that we found out about the cancelled flight. The first reservationist we spoke to was not very helpful. She had us booked to return home the next day in economy and not first class as was paid for, stating this was all that was available. We weren't satisfied with her "solution" so we called UA back and spoke with another reservationist who was more helpful. Not only did she offer us another first class flight, but it was also on the same day as originally planned (not the next day). Dealing with the first reservationist was very frustrating.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Freeman    (Australia)

MEL-SYD-LAX-IAH-GIG. Paid an economy ticket and was upgraded on all flights to Business using one global credit. Service out of Melbourne was superb - attentive crew and a light load. Out of Sydney the flight was full but again the crew were attentive and service was fairly good. The flight LAX/IAH was particularly good - the crew were amazing. The last flight IAH-GIG was superior - the 772 was much newer than the one used on the SYD-LAX route and crew did not disappear for hours in the middle of the flight. The dinners were good but the breakfasts average. Considering the price paid for the ticket I was pleasantly impressed. All flights left on time and arrived on schedule or ahead of schedule. After 39 hours of travel time I was left feeling not too bad!

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J Lamont    (USA)

HNL-ORD. Overnight in a B777-200. United is refurbishing these aircrafts-and we wished they would hurry it up! No sound, A/V, Wi-Fi. No entertainment whatsoever (but at least no one had worked the Sudoku in my "Hemispheres" mag.). My seat worked ok, but my wife had to manually lift the leg support on hers, and couldn't unhinge the foot rest. Then in addition, the reading light for her seat wouldn't turn off. On-board staff were great: sincerely apologetic for the lack of amenities, profusely sympathetic about the seat problems. Service was excellent. Dinner was very good, breakfast less so but still appreciated. This could be a very good trip once the planes are fixed up.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-ORD-FRA-EWR-LAX last month. All flights arrived on time with no major issues. ORD-FRA on 747 and FRA-EWR on 777. Had upper deck on the 747 and it's the best place on the plane. Less people in a much more secluded environment. On both directions, the crew was congenial and the service was top notch. I appreciated being thanked for my business and for flying UA. The United Club in EWR was a bit crowded for my liking but overall a great experience on all 4 legs. I fly almost every week and they tend to get me where I need to go on-time.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by W Campbell    (USA)

I boarded UAL 771, July 25th, SFO to LAX. I had an International flight to catch on another airline. While I have had my share of grumpy UAL flight attendants I immediately noticed a different energy in the FC cabin when I entered (I bought FC - it was not a complimentary upgrade). There were two male flight attendants being warm and welcoming. They were constantly seeing what passengers needed (it was a 24 seat 757). They knew how to handle every request and not just with a sterile perfunctory smile. The mood among all of the passengers was noticeably different. I'm not sure that many of UAL's FA's know how significant they are in creating an energy on the plane among the people by the way they welcome and serve the passengers. Most FA's know how to serve a cup of water. That does not take much skill. However, to serve the water and give the sense that it is done graciously is something else.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by W Bickmore    (UK)

Flight from ORD to Edinburgh was first delayed and then cancelled at 7pm due to "aircraft maintenance". We were told to stay at the gate where a 'recover' team would rebook us onto other flights. It took each agent about 15 minutes to deal with each customer and then after standing in line for an hour we were told that we had to leave the gate as it was needed for another flight. We were told to go and join the back of the long queue at the Customer Services desk across the hall. After standing in line for almost another hour we were told that the best that could be done would be to put us on the flight the next day. Luckily, I checked and found an American Airlines flight to London Heathrow leaving at 9.40pm that night with an onward connection to Edinburgh with British Airways. The American and BA staff were courteous and helpful, unlike the United staff who didn't seem to give a damn.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Krebs    (USA)

UA982, 12/23/2013. United provided me with the worst traveling experience of my life. I spent 24 hours in Kuwait City airport after a cancelled flight. United gave me the run-around, promising flight after flight, which were all already overbooked. The only compensation I received was a complimentary hotel room. I got to the hotel at 1.30am and they took me back to the airport at 4am to catch a flight that was, of course, overbooked. I finally got a flight (on a different airline) 12 hours later. I understand that some circumstances simply cannot be helped. That is the gamble that goes along with travel. It is the being lied to and treated so poorly which made my experience so terrible.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Dwight Darrow    (USA)

I write this review sitting in the Milwaukee Wisconsin airport. My flight from Milwaukee to Chicago has been first cancelled then delayed twice. I should have driven to Chicago. Missed two connecting flights. Should have bee in Hartford, CT at 10am then 2pm now 4pm. What an absolute joke. When an airline can't provide adequate service from Milwaukee to Chicago they should just fold up their tent and go home. Don't pretend to be a transportation service when you can't transport people as promised. Scheduled this trip specifically to attend a theatre production produced by a friend. Attending that event, despite my best planning, is being placed in jeopardy by this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Ramona Dvorak    (USA)

The worst airlines I have flown in years! Kiosks were confusing and not enough help to use them. Both round trip flights from Boston to San Francisco were packed to the gills. Seats were terrible and cramped and it felt like you were sardines. Absolutely no snacks at all! Food offerings looked so bad even the staff said not to buy most of them. They have the audacity on the flight back to charge passengers for direct TV with no free channels at all! No cool circulating air so it felt suffocating! Seats terrible and uncomfortable. Staff agreed with our complaints. Flight was one hour late getting into Boston.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Dixon    (USA)

HKG-SFO, July 28 2014, Economy Plus. Quite simply, the worst over-pacific flight I've had (I've had about 70+). The United International Economy Plus product is quite simply one of the worst available when aboard a crusty old 747. The IFE was antiquated and the movies were b-movies at best. The plane is old and crusty and desperately in need of an update. Flight attendants were indifferent and nearly tossed meal trays onto your fold down tray. Seats were dilapidated. Flight took off and landed late. This United international product is sub-standard and should be an embarrassment to United Airlines. With Star Alliance partners ANA and Asiana both offering superior product at same price, why would anyone fly United? Quite simply, the other airlines do a better job on these routes.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by R Broadhead    (UK)

LHR-ORD-LHR. Initial impressions of United were not great as I attempted to check in online only to find that their website system 'could not check you in at this time' after going through the whole process! United now operate from the new terminal 2 at Heathrow which is a big improvement. However upon boarding it was noticeable that the 767 was quite old (pre Boeing 'signature interior', and my seat was uncomfortable. The IFE system is also outdated and was unreliable. However the flight was punctual. The check in system for my return flight ORD-LHR was poor. Initial check in at the airport required using an automated terminal, but I could not select a seat as these are allocated at the gate. It is then necessary to queue again to be allocated a seat. There is also not enough space in the departure area to accommodate everyone travelling on the flight. The onboard conditions were also similar on the return flight to the outbound (same aircraft type), except that I was bumped down into the standard economy section from the Economy Plus section. As someone who is 6ft plus this meant squeezing into a cramped seat with minimal legroom - totally unsuitable for a lengthy flight. In addition they ran out of meal choices so passengers had to 'get what they are given'. United also have a stingy policy of charging for alcoholic drinks at inflated prices. Once again the seat was not comfortable and the IFE system was not even working this time. Thankfully arrival was slightly early and the arrival process at Heathrow was most efficient. I will try to avoid flying with United again until they improve the quality of their product.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Connery Chas    (UK)

In May my flight from Newark to Toronto was cancelled due to bad weather - eventually, 3 hours after boarding and sitting on the tarmac. I was then left stranded, as an international passenger, trying to deal with a very surly United ground staff "customer service agent", who told me either to sleep overnight in the airport or find a hotel? No help or assistance. I complained to United officially on my return to the UK and in fact they "granted" me a voucher for $150 off my next booking. They added that they hoped that this did not give me a bad impression of United. Unfortunately I had already made my next booking to the US with United, travelling Belfast to Newark to Knoxville early July. Flights from Newark to Knoxville cancelled, two days in a row. As there are 3 of us this time I have to find hotels for 2 nights in a row. One positive that came of this was that United re-routed us to Knoxville via Atlanta using Delta. On the way back from Knoxville, via Washington to Newark the United flight was delayed by 2 hours. We are then re-routed from Washington to London then Belfast. It maybe incidental to note that no other airlines had delays at Knoxville that day? At least we get home, albeit some 4 hours later than expected. Due to delays in arriving we miss the connection London to Belfast. Luckily, this flight is on a British Airways plane so I go to BA and it is sorted - promptly and courteously by a nice customer service lady.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by J Graham    (USA)

First Class from LA to Dulles. When breakfast service came, they had cereal and fruit. That's the meal for a $3000 ticket. The attendant repeatedly told me, "That is all we currently have available". I offered to buy my own breakfast from the coach menu and was informed that I would indeed have to purchase my meal. On my return flight, scheduled at 2.30 pm from Dulles, the flight was delayed twice then cancelled at 6pm. Provided with a $100 coupon - certainly doesn't pay for a hotel room in DC. My original plan - flying back on the 10.10 pm flight indeed proved irrational. It was also delayed. I asked the customer service agent to put me on American 6.15 flight to LA. She refused, pointing out that I was on backup for 10.10 pm with United. She reissued my ticket on American at the coach rate. She also incorrectly copied down the gate to delay my progress. Thankfully, they were on the same concourse. When I made it to American, I indeed confirmed that there still was an open first class ticket. The lovely American agent called United and unfortunately did no better than I had for the past three hours finding someone who could reissue the ticket as first class. American, graciously, put me in the last seat without any help and much hindrance from United. I can honestly say that one should strongly consider their well being before booking a United flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Singletary    (USA)

Went ORD-DCA-ORD to visit family. On a regional jet, the flight was still somewhat comfortable. Coming back to Chicago, there was some confusion with passengers who needed to get seats together and while I didn't mind moving, I would hope they could try and resolve these things before the plane is full and it becomes hard to move around because of people in aisles, etc.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Pennestri Phillip    (USA)

This is usually a good airline - except when flying out of Santa Barbara, CA. They share with Skywest and this is a horrible partnership. The gate agents in SBA are horrific and could not care less about their customers. They canceled our flight and the next flight and the next flight on our anniversary weekend. Their only excuse was that skywest never responds and this always happens. If I offered that at my place of business I would be out of business.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Singletary    (USA)

Had a multi-city going ORD-PEK and NRT-LAX-ORD. First leg was okay with the in-flight entertainment being satisfactory. On the first leg service was acceptable with it seeming the best on my NRT-LAX part of the itinerary. However because I went on standby for an earlier LAX-ORD flight, the agent service *inside* the airport was actually quite poor as I was actually yelled at (along with a whole line of delayed passengers) by one of their agents. At this point I plan on only flying United for domestic flights because I'm a Star Alliance Gold member but otherwise there are much better airlines for any future international trips I may take in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Richard Birnbaum    (USA)

First class on 767-400 round trip Newark-Honolulu. Seat and entertainment couldn't be better. Meal service was an embarrassment in both directions. Departed Newark 9.15am, served an omelette an hour later, then not a morsel until an inedible cheeseburger an hour before landing. Departed Honolulu 8.10pm, served a snack of hummus, peppers, feta with a bag of chips, then not a morsel until an inedible breakfast sandwich 45 minutes before landing. I politely complained and was offered a chicken wrap from economy. I offered to pay but money refused. This is not a route with complimentary upgrades. Everyone paid to sit up front. I can't understand why UA continues to alienate customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by D Nebeta    (USA)

I checked in and went to gate and all was fine for our flight from SFO to Portland. Went to have lunch and came back 10 mins before boarding there was a cancellation of our flight. The next flight and all fights were full leaving from any airport Oakland, San Jose, etc. They could not accommodate us on any flight until the next morning. I ended up driving 12 hours. I am so disappointed that we were not notified ahead of time, even just a couple of hours and I could have made other arrangements. The worst part is the cancellation was due to them being understaffed! Ridiculous reason and poor planning on their part.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

I have flown UA 4 times from DEN-LGA over the last 2 months; As a Gold card holder I have been upgraded on 5/8 segments. Surprisingly all flights have been on time and even one landed 20 min early. In First, UA is decent, though they could learn from Delta about better food. All crew were friendly and actually smiled and were chatty with passengers. In Coach, most crew also seemed decent and I like their snack boxes. Main problem is lack of consistent product with some aircraft with Wi-Fi, some with PTVs and some with nothing. DEN and SFO based crews clearly nicer then EWR based ones.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Steve Edgett    (USA)

Because I wanted to try a 787, I flew LAX-Shanghai, then returned on a 747-400 Shanghai-SFO. While the seats are more-or-less simulated business class, and the entertainment selection is quite good, the service quality is the worst in my 35 year experience. The "flight attendants" apparently come to work only to qualify for free travel, as they most certainly do not go out of their way to provide anything approaching "service". The meals and drinks were delivered with all of the passion one expects when one of these veterans delivers the FAA pre-flight announcements. I despised making any contribution to wages these people did not earn. Given a choice between United and Aeroflot, I'll likely choose Aeroflot. I fly 10-12 times per year and make the Asia flight 406 times annually, this round trip is the worst I've had in 35 years of travel. My advice: fly anyone but United.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Nunez    (USA)

I was flying from Orlando to Vegas with connection in Houston. First flight was delayed about 4 hours (not due to weather so it was just because of United and their lack of or poor maintenance of planes). This made me miss my connecting flight, so I had to wait in the huge line to get a flight to Vegas. I finally made it to Vegas about 5 hours later. They didn't apologize or give me anything for the inconvenience. Then the day came for my flight back to Orlando, which I was dreading. My flight from Vegas to Houston wasn't too delayed so I figured it was a good day. Boy was I wrong. I arrive in Houston at around 2.30pm only to find out that my flight back home was cancelled and they put me on a flight to Orlando the next day at 9pm. I had to wait in the massive customer service line to see if I could get on an earlier flight. After about an hour I get to the front and they told me they can put me on a flight to Jersey with a connection to Orlando. It would get me home by 1am so I figured to do that. Well, surprise surprise the flight to Jersey was delayed, which made me miss the flight to Orlando which was the last flight. I had to stay the night in Jersey at the airport, because they wouldn't pay for any hotel. All in all, they had me hopping from state to state like if this was a game and never apologized. I'll never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Buenavista    (UK)

UA 922, 20 July: My name is one of three called out for last boarding due to delayed UA 1711 flight from Boston to Newark due to a mechanical problem as we were told. The delay did not augur well for my not-so-pleasant experience in the flight: no water in the loo, food was miserable (the sweet sour chicken meal was kind of soupy and was tasteless), and one particular stewardess was quite snappy. The good thing was the uneventful flight which was a relief considering the week's news. Another good thing was my "seatmate" was transferred next to family so I had two seats to myself. My "no" recommendation was specifically for this plane and crew.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Salemson Edith    (USA)

When boarding United flight 919 from LHR to IAD on July 22 2014, I was mortified to be humiliated by a flight attendant because I could not reach the overhead bin to stow my carry on bag. The plane is large and I am 5'1, not tall enough to reach the bin. At 69 I also do not have strength to lift a bag over my head. Berating this to me, she said if I could not put the bag in the bin myself then it would have to be checked. Other passengers were shocked at her response to my predicament and of course a kindly tall gentleman immediately put it in the bin for me. On departing the aircraft a tall woman who had heard the attendant earlier, came over to take down the bag. The attendant's attitude and manner was very rude. I was in seat 27D for which I had to pay an extra $125. I have been flying across the Atlantic for 53 years. This was my first and hopefully last trip I'll make on United.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by C MacKinnon    (New Zealand)

Being from New Zealand, I have to fly all the time, just to get anywhere! Hence am used to flying all round the world, multiple airlines. United Airlines are the worst airline I have flown and would not recommend them to any traveler. My Honolulu to Newark flight 2 days ago was cancelled. The reason? "The plane didn't arrive". No explanation. No food voucher (not that we were going to get fed on a 10 hr flight anyway). Grumpy ground staff who obviously had had no customer service training. Luckily got reconnected through Delta, who were obliging, helpful, and got us into NYC with no problem. United's aircraft are old, there staff are lazy and unhelpful, and they are years behind European, Asian and Pacific airlines in regards customer service. Star Alliance should dump them.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by James Vanoni    (USA)

My wife and I flew from San Diego to Paris, France. On the return trip, the video on the plane was inoperative and we flew 10 hours with no movies or sound. The second leg from Washington to San Diego had no video screens available on the plane, and the power plug under our seat did not charge our electronic device so we could not watch a movie we had downloaded as we used up our battery on the previous flight from Paris. To top it off, one of our bags didn't arrive with the rest of our luggage and hasn't turned up a day later. Needless to say, the airlines should have compensated us for the lack of video service during an international flight. The missing luggage might turn up, hopefully! The crew were excellent. Not their fault!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Buenavista    (UK)

United 941 flight taken 10 July 2014: If UA flights can clone the pilots, stewardesses and stewards in this flight and put them in each one in their fleet, UA will score 10/10. Leg room of the economy seats was quite a problem. I had cramps so I had to move to the backmost seat which was free. I spent the duration of the entire flight from Heathrow to Newark (connecting flight) catching up with my readings. Seeing that I was busy and not relaxing at all, the crew were nice and even gave me a box of chocolates! I must mention that the touchdown was the best I have experienced. My recommendation is based purely on this flight alone.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Michaud Veronique    (Canada)

This is the second time I have flown United. The first time was without incident. Great trip just lots of stops. This time however, the plane I was getting on in Albany was late arriving and thus we were late taking off. This resulted in our flight arriving in Newark too late to catch the connection flight. Not only was I now delayed a day but I was told by the airline that I would likely have to travel to LaGuardia by bus or taxi but they would not cover the cost. This is insane. Also the airline did not seem to have any thought of giving a discount. I purchased a service and the service was not provided. In any other industry, I would not pay for this. This will be the last time I travel with United. I will pay the extra money and take a more reliable airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew YYC-IAH yesterday on B737 and have to say, nice flight mainly because of the class of service and the nice crew on board. Plane interior had seen better times and looked a bit outdated. Delay almost made up during flight. The friendly skies are much more friendly in Business than in Economy and unfortunately the gap between the 2 classes are way too big. In the future I hope United will shine some friendly 'skylight' towards the back of the planes to really earn the friendly sky status for all classes.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Siauw Steve    (Indonesia)

LAX-SFO one-way on B757-200. Surprisingly, United has installed a good IFE system with updated blockbusters collection. Enjoyed my snacks and sweet apple juice on board. Speaker a bit too loud, but all in all, a surprisingly pleasant experience for such a short flight as 2 hours.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by M Friedberg    (USA)

Nice seats, smiling staff and cutting every corner in First Class on an ORD-FRA route. Four croutons on my salad and ordinary, less costly meal choices. 2 mid-priced white wines offered, and wasn't even offered a refill during the meal. Had to pay 16.95 USD for WiFi despite a 10,000+ USD ticket. Crew has rules about bags on the floor on take-off (even underneath the pod in First Class) and requests we wear shoulder plus lap belts - unlike other airlines. Even check-in was below par, no dedicated lines. Nice big seats and big meal portions, but equal or less than many other airlines' business class at double the price.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by N Matson    (China)

United has recently changed its airplane (routing from PVG-ORD) from a 777 with personalized on-board entertainment in economy, to a "new" 747 was shared projection screens. Also, they recently changed their US/Asia route to also require payment for alcoholic beverages for those not in business or first-class. Travelling from China to the US quite often, the 13+ hour flight seems even longer now that I have no control over what I can watch and no free drinks to "shorten" the travel time. In addition to these new changes, the United crew has always been less than pleasant. It seems that the passengers are an inconvenience, and I have heard the crew yell at each other on more than one occasion. Given the above, I have changed my frequent flier membership to another Star Alliance airline and avoid flying United at all costs. It's just not worth the pain when flying that far and that long.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by V Kim    (UK)

London - Newark, June 14 2014. I used my miles to purchase a ticket back to New York last month and was a bit nervous because I hadn't flown with United in a while and wasn't sure how the quality would be. Luckily, it was better than I expected! The entertainment was pretty old, and barely usable unless I wanted to go deaf by turning up the volume to its max. Since I wasn't using it, flight crew asked me to swap with a couple who had a broken machine which I did. The crew member then forgot to give me my drink, skipping my row completely until I reminded him. I was a bit annoyed but you know, staff get busy and flustered. I enjoyed my flight, smooth and got home safely, so cannot fault it. One thing that made me smile is that an older crew member, who witnessed me giving up my seat and then getting my drink forgotten, thanked me personally and talked about how the crew really wanted to encourage good experiences for everyone. Anyway, I quite liked the flight so well done United.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by N Perkins    (USA)

Ever since Continental merged with United it has been downhill. My flights are repeatedly delayed for various reasons but mainly due to technical issues because they have so many old planes still in service. On my most recent flight my flight was delayed for five hours. The plane did not show up for three hours due to 'weather grounding' which was totally false because the weather was fine in Houston, even if there were thunderstorms it would not have grounded for three hours. Then we were boarded and the pilot mentioned they had technical issues. I still do not understand why they would board an entire plane before knowing if/how long it would take to repair, everyone sat in the plane for two hours until they were finally able to fix and take off. We were told to contact United for 'compensation' due to the trouble and I was offered $50 (only because I have status otherwise it would have been $25) due to our inconvenience. Apparently a new policy just instituted to give you even less because in the past for something similar I received $100 and $150. They do not even care anymore about customer service so I am moving onto another airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Schultz    (Germany)

We booked a flight from SFO to LAX on United and a separate flight from LAX to Europe. Layover in LAX was supposed to be 5 hours - but rather safe than sorry is what I thought - and sorry we were to be: Upon entering the aircraft, doors closed, we were informed of a minor delay due to traffic restrictions. A while later a technical problem was added to the mix, and they promised to keep us informed. It kept going on like this for a while, until about two hours later we were released from the plane and tried to get on the next flight. After a total of three hours the ticketing agent kindly re-booked us on a Delta flight to LAX. We landed just in time to possibly make it on our next plane, but the surprise was that our baggage was still on the original plane. So we had to wait even longer in LAX, re-book the flight till next day, find a hotel and so on. I asked UA ground crew if they could offer assistance with any of it, hoping my star alliance gold card might come in handy. It certainly did not. The essence of this trip is: You are most welcome as a client as long as you pay and shut up!

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Stueart    (USA)

Economy-plus from EWR-HKG. Staff at the airport were very friendly and in-flight were pleasant. For a 16 hour flight I was dreading the experience as I am 6'6" tall. The seat was actually reasonably roomy, and thankfully the middle seat of three was vacant. The idea that United now charges for alcoholic beverages on even such a long haul flight really sets them apart from their competition in a bad way. The food was probably the worst I've ever had on an airline, and that's saying a lot. Entertainment options were fine but the remote control at y seat did not work and the touchscreen worked only badly. Watched one movie and then slept. Overall though I felt as though I was flying on a budget airline and I wasn't! United, step up your game!

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax