United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Jan Peacock    (Canada)

It seems to have become the norm for United Express to not announce any delays until everyone is checked in. Then the announcements come every half hour increasing the wait time. Our flight from Halifax to Newark was to depart at 1.10 pm and eventually left after 5pm. Our return flight was to leave at 8.38 pm and left after midnight. Never ever again.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Anna Beckelhimer    (USA)

My husband and I recently returned from a trip using United Airlines. We arrived at our international destination 12 hours later than the original arrival time. Since that was mainly due to weather, I can't blame United. On the way home though we had a terrible experience. Our final flight from Houston to Fayetteville was supposed to board at 6.45pm but they kept delaying it around every half hour until finally at midnight they canceled the flight entirely. There were no more flights going out that night and the next day's flights to our destination were completely booked. We were given vouchers for a hotel which we got to at 2.30am and vouchers for food for the next day at the airport. We had to book a flight to Tulsa where our family had to drive a long way to pick us up. This plane was also delayed for an hour for no apparent reason. Upon reaching Tulsa, we discovered our luggage had been separated and my bag was sent to our original destination while my husband's stayed back in Houston airport. We had to drive to Fayetteville airport to pick up my bag. The next day we had to drive back to Fayetteville to pick up my husband's bag. Definitely the last time we will ever fly with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by S Richard    (USA)

Flew to Chicago on Friday, flight was delayed 6 hours. When it came time to return home, I received an email that my flight was cancelled. I talked to a United rep, she told me an identical flight was leaving at the same time as my cancelled flight, so she would book me on that one. Turns out, she misinformed me, there was no such flight. I got to the airport, found out she had booked me for a flight the following day, so I had to rebook yet again. On my return flight, the plane was delayed 2 hours. We all get on the plane, and after taxi-ing for 45 minutes, we received an announcement that we were going back to the gate. I had to spend the night in the airport. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Pat Dalton    (USA)

My husband booked our flight out of Gulfport, MS to Las Vegas. The price was good, but we were not allowed enough time between connecting flights. My husband is in a wheelchair, and I appreciate the skycaps who managed to get us to the connecting flights, although it almost killed me, at 65, to have to get through the airport with our luggage. The biggest mishap was that when we arrived in Los Angeles from Las Vegas, we were told there was no room for our carry on luggage, so it was checked. My husband's bag went to Hawaii. After many days of talking to people on the phone, who obviously have a problem understanding English, we finally got his bag delivered. Flying United was very stressful for me, and I would be very hesitant to fly United again. I think they need to do a better job of informing their customers of what to expect.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Tom Wang    (USA)

Plane was supposed to take off at 1pm, delayed to 3pm then finally to 7pm with no guarantee of no further delay. Now I am stuck in LAX waiting. All I got for the trouble caused by United Airline is a sorry from the representative and a $7 meal voucher - very good customer care indeed. Request to adjust seat, told the plane is 100% full. Okay so I request to adjust seat in advance for my return flight, now this is where it gets interesting: I was told by the desk representative that their "system" will not let her do so and was advised to use United Airline website to adjust seat myself, the only problem is their website does not have the seat change option either. Overall, I would not recommend anyone to take United Airline for their poor system setup and bad customer care.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Lautwein Christof    (Germany)

EWR-IND, think United is canceling more flights than they are operating. If not canceled, flights are most of the time significantly delayed. Ground staff are unfriendly and not willing to help. This is not an experience just on this flight, it seems to be always like that. Comfort and service in the aircraft is lousy. Will try not to go with United in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by L Seagraves    (USA)

Traveled CLE-SFO-NRT-MNL, March 15th, returned May 7th. Business class. Booked this reluctantly, experience a year earlier was not so great on the SFO-NRT leg. In cabin service and food was terrible. This year was a world different. All flights on time or early, food was good, inflight service was very good, the inflight entertainment worked great, check in was very friendly and attentive. The final leg is serviced by ANA. Last year the difference between UA and ANA was dramatic. This year practically seamless. The only change this year was that we were on the upper deck this time. We were amazed at the transformation in a year's time. Younger attentive flight attendants, friendly service and all worked as planned. Great transformation!

United Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by D Duma    (Canada)

Do not pay the extra cost for the comfort seats. That is the biggest scam that this airline has going. I have paid for comfort seats on KLM and WestJet and they were so worth it. This airline - expensive, and the only thing you get is slightly more leg room. The same uncomfortable seat in all other ways. This airline has to have the worst service of all airlines in the G20 (sorry have not flown others). Terrible seats, extra cost for luggage, what food is available is awful and expensive, and now you have to pay for inflight entertainment. On a recent flight to Hawaii, at least they had the courtesy of telling us not to bother because the inflight entertainment did not work over the ocean anyway. I love to read, but 6 hours straight is quite a reading marathon. I will pay extra costs for a flight rather than fly United.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by Maurie Hill    (New Zealand)

As a seasoned traveler, I am constantly reminded what a disgrace United Airlines is to the Star Alliance. I've just completed a Star Alliance Round The World Business First trip on Thai, Lufthansa, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, and unfortunately one sector on United. Despite being Gold Elite status, and paying $US15,000 each for the fare, United refused me entry to their lounge in MCO at 0615h - when it was almost totally empty. They seated my wife and I in 3B and 5F for the six hour flight to SFO despite being booked on the one ticket, and pre- allocated 1A and 1B four months earlier! Are the traveling American public so accepting of sub-standard?

United Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by Fausto Orsatti    (Italy)

26 April 2014, Verona-Monaco.LH 434, 26 April 2014, Monaco-Chicago. UA 8838, 26 April 2014, Chicago-Madison. Superb Lufthansa service, than you land in the USA and there is a long line at Passport control and no way to have an express service. I missed my connecting flight and what a surprise it was my fault and I had to pay for the hotel, transport, food etc.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Lorraine Horgan    (Canada)

Nothing but delays right from the start. We flew Vancouver to Chicago then to Ireland. Everyone had to check in themselves and weren't given seat numbers until boarding so no sitting next to your family. Staff weren't friendly. Flight was an hour late departing. No organization at all at the airport. Would not use them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Brandon A Stauffer    (USA)

My father and I had a reservation to fly from Boston to Sacramento. We had a connecting flight in Denver. Our flight leaving Boston was delayed 50 minutes, our flight arrived in Denver at the exact time our connecting flight from Denver was leaving. United Airlines didn't hold the next plane just a few minutes and so 13 people on our plane missed the connecting flight. The next flight for Sacramento left the next morning so we went to customer service to have them reserve a hotel for us but they claimed that the error was not made by their airline and wouldn't pay for our hotel. Now we have to sit in an airport terminal all night. United Airlines is not a good airline and I won't be flying with them anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Galimidi Yves    (Belgium)

Nightmare with United last week. I had a 1st class ticket, Miami-Chicago on UA and Chicago-Zurich-Brussels on Swiss, 3 flights on one ticket. Connecting time in Chicago 3 hours and 25 minutes. Checked-in in Miami for my UA flight, and Y flight was delayed several times. Finally the plane landed. Ready for boarding and then technical failure was announced. Staff did not know if and when the plane would leave. I explained my situation and asked to be rebooked on another airline, any airline, in order to leave Miami since I was supposed to have a knee surgery upon my return in Brussels. UA staff refused and were not polite at all. Finally at 8pm announcement that our flight was cancelled. I had spent nearly 7 hours at that airport. I was granted a room at the Holiday Inn airport which was fine and then food vouchers at the same hotel. In total 21 USD for lunch/dinner/breakfast. One thing is for sure, never again United. I was rebooked on the day after Miami/Newark/Brussels on the day after first class domestic, business class long-haul. Ok but far from the Swiss service standards.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by D Gandhi    (UK)

Outwardjourney on 30/3/2014 on flight UA 941 and inbound journey on 25/4/2014 on flight UA 17. We had a double cancellation of flights to and from LHR-EWR. Flight to LHR was cancelled but the reason remained unclear and the flight from EWR was cancelled after we were told there was a technical problem with the aircraft. Luckily they gave us hotel accommodation and taxi fares, along with also breakfast and dinner vouchers. I would not recommend this airline to anyone. It caused lots of stress.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by N Miller    (USA)

FRA-SFO on 747-400 this might have been a 9 or 10 star review except for the very late (over 30 minutes) delivery of bags at SFO with priority bags not apparently given any priority - service onboard was impeccable - staff were attentive and professional and did everything they could to make the long flight as comfortable as possible - UA really does need to start handing out pyjamas in F, and could also make the bed softer as well as making the blankets thicker and wider if they really want passengers to get some good sleep. Food was OK nothing special - the mushroom soup in a very small cup was the best course, while the beef was tough.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Peter Wise    (Canada)

I really don't know how to express my dissatisfaction with United. I buy business class and get dumped into economy. No explanation, nothing. Trite meaningless apologies are given. That's it. On my return trip, the flight attendants were not very attentive in business. Once beverages were served at the beginning of the flight, they disappear for the rest of the flight. The dinner meal for a 5.5 hour flight in business is a joke. A small plate of antipasto? That's an appetizer. The customer care program definitely needs improvement. Non responsive and when they do respond, they ignore my complaint but do dwell on how great United is and they sincerely hope my next flight will be a good experience. United advertising is good, unfortunately they only talk the talk. United has yet to learn how to walk the talk. United just frustrates me to no end.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Malte von Lewinski    (Germany)

Horrible service, rude flight attendants, check in process rude. The woman told us it was not her job to do the check-in for us when we had questions and the machine would not print or accept my credit card. We were left to our own devices and were just rudely told to hurry up as we were not the only customers there. Since we booked with Lufthansa and paid regular prices and not with a cheap aircraft carrier this behaviour was outrageous! After we finally got our prints (just flight confirmations not boarding cards) we were told we would get the boarding passes at the gate. After asking a couple of times we got our boarding passes, just to be told during boarding, our daughter could not be seated with us because we were sitting in an emergency exit and she had to sit 7 rows behind us. The cabin attendants were not very helpful and finally we got a nice couple to swap places with us.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by R Itty    (Canada)

April 27 2014, OKC to YYZ, my connecting flight was in EWR. When I arrived at Newark I learned that my connecting flight was cancelled. The reason for cancellation - bad weather in Toronto. I asked the staff member to find me a different flight, the best he could come up with was a flight for the next day! I explained that this was unacceptable. I then asked if I did accept the flight for the next day would I be given a hotel room for the night, his response was no because if the flight is cancelled due to weather then the airline is not at fault and does not have to provide a room. To put the cherry on top, he would not look for other flights except for the one for the next day. His suggestion was that I researched possible routes home and come speak to him later when I found another flight that was more acceptable to me. I was at a loss. I managed to acquire a flight home that same afternoon to Toronto on Air Canada. What I want to know, is how is the weather in Toronto can be a problem for United airlines but not a problem for every other airline in North America. I fly several times a year, I will never fly with United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by H Robertson    (USA)

I flew from BTV-EWR-DFW a few months ago and it was by far the worst experience. Outbound flight to EWR was delayed 1 hour 15 minutes. The connection in EWR was missed by about 3 minutes. The customer service agent was useless and also put the blame on myself for missing the connection. I waited about 5.5 hours in what has to have been the dingiest terminal in the US (Newark's C2 concourse) for the next flight to DFW, which of course was delayed. Once boarded, we sat at the gate for an additional 40 minutes without any communication from the crew. The pilot then informed us that "it appears the people refuelling this thing put more in the right wing than they did in the left". We waited yet another 20 minutes for him to come back and say "to add insult to injury, it appears that the APU is broken and it wouldn't be a good idea to fly without it." An hour has passed since we boarded and we finally pushed back. The inflight service was sub-par and only one beverage service was offered during the 3.5 hour flight. Overall, an appalling experience on an airline that used to be enjoyable. Also, if you're not flying international or a hub to hub, expect a regional jet or prop plane.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by BJ Carter    (USA)

We flew out to San Francisco on Delta on April 27 2014 - a great flight even though we had a longer trip because of storms. The flight waited on us constantly during the long flight. On May 1, 2014, we flew home on United 1278. The two stewards and one stewardess were terrible! Went up and down twice during our flight back to Atlanta. I was in a window seat and hey never spoke to me! The pilot did a good job - but did not speak loud enough.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by McGuire Jack    (USA)

MSY-EWR-LIS, with an open-jaw return from LHR-EWR-MSY. I must confess I tempted fate here, as I didn't want to leave New Orleans too early on a Sunday, so I opted for the afternoon flight that would connect in Newark with the overnight flight to Lisbon. It was a short connection window (59 minutes), but I decided to risk it. Big mistake. Once we landed - wouldn't you know it - no available gate. So we waited an additional 40 minutes on the tarmac, and then another 10 at the gate waiting for someone to operate the jetway to dock with the plane. I sprint off the plane and we were the last two people on the Lisbon flight. As it turns out, that flight was delayed about 25 minutes. Our luggage wasn't so fortunate. When we initially inquired upon arrival in Lisbon, they said it had been sent to Frankfurt, and that it would be arriving on a TAP Air flight from Frankfurt at 3.25 that afternoon, after which it would be delivered to us at our hotel. We left Lisbon the next morning and checked at the airport to see where our luggage was. No idea, they said - the last reported location of the bags was Frankfurt. Off we flew to Paris - without luggage. Arriving at Paris-Orly (where there is no United presence), the only help we got was from a French ground services attendant, who was nice enough and took our information as to where we were staying (in Normandy), but could offer little else. We spent the next 3 nights in Normandy with no luggage, and no one attempted to contact us about it. Four days later, finally someone from United got a hold of us and told us our luggage had arrived at London Heathrow. Since that was our final night of the trip, we just opted to pick it up at the airport the next morning upon check-in, and change at the airport, lest we go through the hassle of yet another botched bag delivery. Only when we arrived at LHR, we were told that our bags were already sent ahead to Newark on an earlier BA flight. So here we were - at the conclusion of an 8-day trip with no luggage. At least we'd be able to collect our bags once we arrived back home in New Orleans. Our bags never made it from Newark that evening. They'd come the next day, they said. Finally, at 2 in the afternoon, almost nine days after I'd checked in the bag, I was reunited with it. In one generation, United has gone from industry standard to mediocre to absolute lowest common denominator.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Emerson Neil    (USA)

Do not take United flight from Honolulu to Guam. The plane and configuration used is for domestic flights, plus there is no inflight entertainment. I fly business first all the time with United. This flight was nearly 8 hours and it was like flying with a 3rd world airline. Food was terrible. An unbelievable experience for an airline that generally does very well.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Van der Meer    (Netherlands)

Business class AMS-ORD-YVR. Check in went very smooth, departure with 15 minutes delay due to air traffic control. I was seated in a window seat which was ok, but if you want to get out of it you have to bother your neighbor. Flight attendants were quite old, no youngsters like on flights with KLM. Food selection and service were good. Also the inflight entertainment was sufficient. With a small delay we landed at ORD. The flight to YVR was not special in business. Snack was below average and seat is medium. Overall satisfying and would do it again for the price.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Mike Erez    (Israel)

Flew TLV-EWR-SFO and back, flights were on time, boarding was smooth, crew were pleasant and friendly. Food standard airplane but served hot. Experience from flying with other airlines, we came equipped with movies, books on our tablets.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by T Templeman    (Canada)

Flight from Fort Lauderdale to St Johns with connecting flight in Newark. Left Fort Lauderdale late, ran to connecting flight with less than 15 mins to spare, flight ended up 4 hours delayed but was never updated online or any departure board. Connecting flight Eventually cancelled because of fog in Newfoundland all though other family members arrived home on Air Canada and Westjet without the fog being an issue. They did give us a toiletry bag to take back to hotel we paid for. No apology but was put on a 6 am flight following morning. Terrible service and flights with no entertainment or compensation.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Sean Terrell    (USA)

My wife, our 10 month old and myself flew from Columbus, Ohio to Richmond, VA with a stop in Cleveland. Our plane was late getting into Columbus which made us late for our connection in Cleveland. The next available flight wasn't until 8pm that evening, giving us a 9 hour layover in Cleveland and causing us to miss the wedding rehearsal dinner we had planned on attending that evening. However, when we reached our destination nearly 10hrs from our original arrival time we found that our luggage was lost. We received the same explanation from customer service while our bags flew from Cleveland, to Charlotte to who knows where. On our last evening in Richmond, a few short hrs from our next departure time and at 2am in the morning the doorbell rang and our luggage appeared, for which I then had to pay another $25 to get it back on the plane for our return trip to Columbus. Just when things couldn't get any worse, the ticket attendant at Richmond airport told me that my wife and infant's son were on the same ticket and my wife wouldn't need her own to get through security. We stopped and grabbed some coffee, said goodbye to our in laws and stood in line to get through security. Once we reached the front of the line the TSA agent told my wife she needed to return to the ticket counter in order to get her own boarding pass. Unbelievable. So we returned to the ticket counter where the attendant who originally issued us our boarding passes proceeded to tell me it was my fault and my wife's name was not showing up on the reservation. Then, mysteriously she found her name and printed the correct boarding pass. Once we got through security and to the gate, the gate attendant made a snide comment about being the last one's on the plane and charged us another $25 to gate check our carry on bag-the same bag we carried on for free 3 days earlier. I realize United might have slightly cheaper airline tickets, but please do yourself a favor and spend an extra few bucks to fly in peace, with all of your luggage. In the end, our lost bags cost us an extra 200-300 hundred dollars anyway and the service we received in Richmond was absolutely terrible.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by J Smith    (UK)

LHR-EWR: sat on tarmac at LHR for 3 hours before being informed the flight was cancelled due to a maintenance issue. United tried to re-book us on a flight 24 hours later and only after considerable effort did they find us seats on a (half empty) BA departure. EWR-HR: Flight was overbooked so without asking us we were "upgraded" to Ec. Plus. The net result of which was I lost my aisle seat for a middle. I would have preferred to stay in Ec but was not consulted before being moved. The check-in staff at both LHR and EWR are easily the rudest I have ever come across. Also United don't have on-demand entertainment (someone please tell them its 2014 not 2004) and the seats are uncomfortable and narrow. Unless there is a massive price premium please take my advice and fly with a different airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Randy Sederstrom    (USA)

I recently booked a flight to Denver from Kansas City, trip cost was $376, avoiding other airports I wanted a one way flight to and fro. Price went to $925. Then while boarding the flight we have a prop plane. The seats were so narrow and of course no air-conditioning. The flight took an exceptionally long time back and forth from Kansas to Denver. I don't understand, the United Airline Magazine says how their improving the flight for the customer. I think its time the execs take a flight cause your badly mistaken.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by J Sinclair    (Canada)

March flights. We were a party of 6 and it was the first time flying United. We flew from Toronto, connecting in Chicago and ending up in New Orleans. First, they were an hour late taking off. The pilot said they were contracting out the baggage handling so they were slowly putting one bag at a time on the conveyor. As a result, we missed the connection in Chicago. Then 3 (or 4 - I lost count) gate changes and delays. The we boarded then de-boarded. They didn't want to assign seats for 3 of our party, even though I had bought and paid for the flights 11 months before, they over-book and weren't sure 3 of us would make the flight. Finally arrived in New Orleans 6 hours later than scheduled. Of course we weren't seated together. Return flight - one of our party didn't get a seat at all. Had to take a later flight and all that entails.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Brad Weston    (Australia)

Just returned from USA. SYD-SFO-LV-NY-SFO-SYD. Overall very good experience - travelling with 3 others inc 2 Children. Upgraded both international legs to economy Plus - makes a world of difference. Staff on Board were very welcoming (not OTT but very professional). Only gripe was that after a late Arrival NY-SFO it was announced that for those connecting to Sydney Australia that plane was being held (there were about 10 of us) and that we needed to proceed to International Gate 102. We all arrived there as quick as possible only to be told the plane was not going to wait and never was. The delay ex NY was not a UA issue - ground staff at Newark. Anyway - proceeded back to Customer Service desk where a fantastic attendant was very helpful, provided us with a comp at the Crown Plaza near Airport and gave us some comfort packs. With 777 aircraft replacing 747 ex Sydney, United will get my business again (at the right price).

United Airlines Customer review :  26 April 2014 by M Kemmit    (USA)

After a 20 min delay during the first part of our trip we arrived in Charlotte only to be told we had to race across the entirety of the airport in less that 15 mins, (which would have been feasible if we had the full 35+ mins). We managed to reach the gate 6 mins prior to the 'last' boarding call but they had "closed the doors for an early departure" and refused to allow my wife and I onto the plane. They then directed us to go all the way back across the Airport to get lower quality, and separate seats on a much later flight. They attempted no form of compensation or even an apology and acted as if it were our fault, and that they were doing us a favor by 'allowing' us to get the terrible seats. The worst of it though is their claim to be both Military and Handicap friendly, but they fail in both.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by B De Groote    (Belgium)

Plane looked extremely old and worn. Food was poor even by airline standards. Inflight entertainment consistent of overhead screens with 80's image quality. Can't remember when I last sat in a plane with such prehistoric inflight entertainment. The worst were the stewardesses. Not all of them. But some of them were really unfriendly. The highest level of service that one older, grumpy stewardess could muster during a 10 hour flight was to tell me that I had been standing at the back of the plane for too long (I was reading a book standing up, couldn't bear sitting in the seat anymore) and I needed to sit down. Probably the least service-centred flight I ever experienced. United Airlines is an airline that I will use in the future only when I can't afford the alternatives.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by B Becker    (USA)

Flew from Okinawa, Japan with final destination at D.C. Dulles (IAD) with stops at Narita (NRT)-Tokyo and Chicago O'Hare-ORD. Flight from Okinawa to Tokyo is always through ANA since United contracts them out to and from Tokyo to Okinawa. I then flew a 747, Economy Plus from NRT to ORD. Waste of money to upgrade to Economy Plus. A little more leg room and width but that is it. Food and drink service was the same (not much) so can't recommend this. No personal entertainment (was all on the big screen). Food was not good and seems to be deteriorating, no longer do they give you any fruit or vegetables but just one course meal and that is it. I also noticed they now charge you for a beer or wine, I think they just changed this as of January 2014? I paid an embarrassing $6 for a Heineken which I thought used to be included for Economy Plus? Service was just ok and nothing special. I then flew from ORD to IAD and again Economy Plus but waste of money. Seats felt tight and cramped and I noticed absolutely no under the seat room for bags or stretching out? Onboard departure was chaotic as people couldn't store their luggage in overhead bins.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax