United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Frank Zhao    (USA)

EWR-PVG on a 777-200. Economy Plus exit window seat. Was able to get this seat without paying for it due to a bug in the online seat map (otherwise it would be an extra $192). Overall it was a satisfying flight, given I only paid a little above 600 dollars for this non-stop flight which would usually be over 900. The food was standard but not very adequate. There were friendly flight attendants but some were very rude and indifferent. Entertainment was ok but the system was sluggish. The headset did not work but I was able to use my own earphones. Lavatories were not very well maintained and I didn't see any flight attendant clean it during the entire flight. However all these negative aspects were overpowered by the price and the free exit window seat. Would definitely fly them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by B Coleman    (USA)

All week long flying with our three year old we have preboarded the planes. Well upon boarding a flight that need I say arrived two hours late with United we were told to get in the back of the line with her as they have voided the children board first policy as of this weekend. He was rude about telling us and made it embarrassing as if we were doing something so wrong, we were doing what we are used to doing, not to mention we didn't just try to be the very first we actually got in line up 2 just because we weren't in any hurry to board. After all, we all leave at the same time right? After waiting almost 4 hours at the airport with a toddler because of a delayed flight that's not how to really brighten someone's day and treat them. Maybe if you want to change a policy like that again and be butts about it at the gate, be sure everyone is aware of your new stupid rule!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by R Clarke    (USA)

After having a confirmed reservation to Buenos Aires in first class for three months before the flight for which I used miles - I'm a million mile plus flyer - I was bumped from first class and sent back to row 30 (on a 767) because United had oversold the flight and other passengers had paid more money for their tickets (not used miles). The seats in economy are among the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. The United staff - who were long time Continental employees - were very embarrassed and said it should never have happened. And, of course it should not have. A deal should be a deal, or the airline should warn people in advance that their accumulated miles which they tout as being very valuable are really not so valuable, and can become worthless if the airline chooses. When I complained after the flight, United's response was essentially "too bad".

United Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Alanna Finn    (USA)

This experience has been disgusting. I was flying from Newark, NJ to London to grab a connecting flight to get to Dublin. The original flight was delayed 3 hours, which wouldn't be so bad if someone would have properly advised us about the following connection. Due to the total lack of communication, I proceeded to miss my connecting flight because United failed to give me the information I needed to make it on time. I will never fly with this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by B Owen    (USA)

Flew out of SFO an hour and a half late. Got to Houston only to find out my flight to Huntsville had been cancelled. I go to the "customer service" desk to be put on another flight. The only one she says is available is the 4 o clock flight the next day but I can get on standby for the 10:30 am flight. I ask her if I'll get reimbursed for the hotel room I'll have to get. She says United doesn't reimburse for weather and then tells me I won't be able to find a hotel room because there is a conference in Houston and there are no hotel rooms available but I can sleep in the airport. She also complains to me that everyone is taking it out on them and it's not fair. I proceed to tell her it's also not fair that my flight was cancelled and that they won't reimburse me for a hotel room or food or taxi fare. When I went back through security, I was told I was not able to re-enter the airport because my flight wasn't until the next day. I ended up finding a hotel room and thanks to my mom calling travelocity, I got on the 1030am flight. I ended up cancelling my flight back to SFO on United and booked it with American.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by Alice Bertram    (USA)

I really was disappointed. Leaving Milwaukee, no flight crew. One and a half hours late leaving, stand in line for two hours to get connecting flight changed, airplane waiting for me to board. This was leaving Milwaukee for Houston. Coming home, leave Florida, great. Get to Chicago, no crew, finally board plane, wrong crew and asked us to get off the plane. Wait for right crew to get there, held up in Milwaukee. Get on plane 1.5 hours late, taxi, back to terminal plane over heating. Get this fixed so we have no air conditioning in plane, sweat and over heat to go to Milwaukee. What is the problem. Don't think I ever want to fly United again if this is the normal procedure.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by T Dowsett    (Australia)

Seattle-San Francisco/San Francisco-Sydney-Perth. The departure staff were some of the rudest, uncooperative staff we have had to deal with. Having stood in "row 5" to board and submitting our boarding passes we were told our hand luggage had to be put in the hold as the overhead lockers were full. This was very unsatisfactory as we were ticketed through to Perth. There was no checking of legal size of cabin bags. We saw many oversize bags go aboard including a musical instrument case at least 4 foot long. People putting their second piece in overheads instead of at their feet. If this was policed there would have been room for all legal sized bags. As we are aged 75 and 77 we had medicine required to be taken on the 27 hour journey. After removing medicine we allowed bags to be placed in hold. As the plane was about to leave gate we realized our passports were in our hand luggage. On approaching the head stewardess and the captain and explaining we would be unable to leave USA until passports were returned. Only through the captains orders our hand luggage was unloaded and brought up to the cabin. Full marks to the captain, he placed one bag in the cockpit and the head stewardess rearranged some other bags for the second one. This delayed departure by 15 minutes due to the incompetent staff at boarding gate not listening to where we were going. San Francisco to Sydney was poor service, poor food, no drinks unless you purchased them. Qantas flight Sydney to Perth, only a 4 hour flight and free drinks with meal and the offer of second one .

United Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by R Gibson    (USA)

Rome to Newark (EWR) in Business First, departing at 9:50 a.m. We were lucky that we could use the miles we had accrued with the United Mileage Plus card for this trip and were very happy with the flight. United uses Alitalia lounge for BusinessFirst customers, which is located in the basement of the terminal. It's very dated with white leather chairs and orange plexiglass dividers between seating sections. There is a bar just beyond the entrance which looked very poorly stocked with almost empty bottles of various liquor, and the surly server behind the counter begrudging made espressos on order. Food consisted of some bread, butter, jam, small croissants and cold cereal. Overall a real disappointing experience. The flight was announced in the lounge and we proceeded to board. We were in seats 3K and 3L. Others have commented that the person in the window seat has to climb over the person in the aisle seat, which is true. Once seated we were offered a choice of OJ, Champagne, Mimosa or water and handed our menus. Our flight attendants introduced themselves as did the flight customer service manager (not really sure what that means). After takeoff we were offered a beverage and warm nuts. Food service began and was very well done - in courses. Four options for entrees were given and wine was offered throughout the meal service. After lunch a cheese cart was offered followed by made-to-order sundaes. All in all very good. The new seats are fairly comfortable, although at 6'1" I found myself having to bend my legs a bit when lying down. Working the leg/foot and head rests took some getting used to. My biggest criticism would be that the "storage" shelf is over your shoulder and behind you. This includes the jack for the headset, which I kept pulling out when I turned in the seat. It was hard to get to and pretty unusable. The entertainment selection was excellent with great late run movies, television shows and music. An hour before landing we were offered a snack consisting of a chicken empanda, fruit salad, cucumber salad and chocolate. We landed 1/2 hour early and were the first off the plane. All in all a great flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by B Osborne    (USA)

Flew a 747-400 from Chicago to Hong Kong. The economy seats were horrible. They were extremely small. The seats were so bad I stood for over 5 hours during the flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by H Ryksen    (Canada)

Flew YEG to Amsterdam through Houston, return in business first. Flight crew on all flights were great, very professional and hard working. The one complaint was the food, Tasteless, overcook and very little variety. Also cabin could be kept a little tidier. Other than that, good flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

IAH-SFO on A319 and SFO-IAH on B787. Comparing the 2 legs with 2 different aircraft is hard. I would look forward to more planes look like the Dreamliner in regards to age and cleanness. I have no complaints but just general concerns. Economy Plus is just the more legroom nothing more nothing less. It's the small things that can add up, a pillow here and tiny bag of peanuts there and lets say a complementary cocktail on longer flights in Eco Plus to stand up to the "Premium Eco Class" and to be "Eco Plus friendly. I miss the work hard-fly right slogan.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Aaron Eisenberg    (Australia)

Boeing 777 SYD-LAX, LAX-SFO, SFO-SYD. Service was professional, Food surprisingly good. IFE very good. Boeing 777 legroom is good. I'm not crazy on these new economy seats on United when the seat recline the seat base moves forward. This is not good for the back and make sleeping less comfortable. Altogether very good experience, plus receiving 100% miles even though the ticket was discounted.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by H Wang    (USA)

Completely unreasonable and unwilling to help customers. Do not take United if you want any kind of decent customer service, friendliness of staff, or bearable trip. The woman behind the counter at check in seemed to feel a need to give me attitude for no apparent reason. Even at a small airport like in Ithaca, NY, United was unable to accommodate me.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by L Hamilton    (USA)

Had to fly United as it was the only one flying in at out at the times I needed. Flight from DEN-YXE was delayed twice on the way out. Then flying from YXE-DEN we sat in a small hot plane sweating for over an 1.5 hours after landing because Customs wasn't open for business yet and we weren't allowed off the plane. It is a daily flight so they should know when customs opens? Transfer from DEN-EUG had no gate until 2 hours prior, which changed 2 times, missed the flight because the last change was 20 minutes prior. Next flight out was 10 hours later. Unless you are person that likes sitting in Airports for days and enjoys wasting time and money this airline is an extreme last resort!

United Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by D Cutler    (UK)

Would never fly with United Airlines again, we boarded the plane back from Florida to Newark to fly on to the UK, to be greeted by miserable crew. This continued the whole of the flight. Anything asked of them seemed too much trouble, food was awful and was practically thrown at us. Seating was so uncomfortable, cramped together, but the worst part was as we were coming into land at Newark, the pilot overshot the runway, had to pull back up very fast and circle to try again, it all happened so fast - it was so scary, but not one of the crew checked on any of us passengers, one lady got up to be sick in the toilet - all we had was a female cabin crew shouting for her to get out of the toilet and sit down. A child around 9 yrs of age was beside himself, but still no one came to check on us. We got down safely the second time after being told they were moving to another runway. But even after the plane got down safely, not one of the crew came to see if anyone needed any help. The passengers are supposed to come first, but in this instance, none of us were. Wouldnt recommend this airline to anyone and will never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by M Tonelli    (USA)

MKE-ORD-SFO and back. The first flight was delayed so we missed connection. Our connection was supposed to be a nice 777 but we missed it. Thankfully they said our flight was delayed because of maintenance problems so they gave a hotel and food vouchers. Slept at a nice hotel at ORD. Because of the low price for they tried to put us on a non direct fight for Washington and then to SFO. We finally got scheduled for a flight at 8:30. the airplane was okay. It was an old 757-200 with no entertainment systems or stuff. When we arrived at SFO it was midday and we still had time to explore the city.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by B McAvoy    (USA)

San Diego to Moline via Chicago O'Hare. When we landed in Chicago I received a text message from United Airlines that our connecting flight was canceled. They rescheduled us for 14 hours later! We live 2 1/2 hours away so we rented a car and drove. Our reimbursement was 1/4 the cost, didn't even cover the car rental. No other mode of transportation was offered, neither was a compensation for food or hotel if we had chose to stay and wait the 14 hours. This apparently happens very often. No excuse, but they don't have a problem stealing your money and not giving anything in return. This company should not be allowed to run their business this way. I will never book a flight with United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Z Harris    (USA)

This was the worst travel experience I have had. I travel frequently for work and for leisure, but this time I am unable to do either. I was scheduled to take off from LAX, connect in ORD, and then push on to ROC. Halfway through my first flight, we were dropped down in Denver due to a closing at the ORD airport. They de-boarded, re-boarded, de-boarded, re-boarded, then de-boarded again. We were there for an excess of 4 hours, standing in excessive lines, awaiting information about connecting flights and possible re-bookings. It seemed like all the United agents were hiding! I was finally cleared to take off for Chicago, and put on standby for 2 later flights to ROC. We were stalled on the runway at ORD and arrived at the gate very late. When I went to find my next flight, it had been moved. No notification was sent to me, but the agent ensured that it was boarding at another gate. I arrived at the new gate, stood in line for 15 minutes to find out that all those flights were canceled. When I expressed my concern about missing work the next day, I was barrated by the agent as he walked away from the desk and left me standing there without an answer. Thankfully, I was automatically re booked for the next day, but not given any accommodation. I stood in a customer service line for 2.5 hours to discuss accommodations with an agent. When I finally got to the front of the line, I was told it was due to weather, and I would not be accommodated. I told the agent that it wasn't weather, that it was an excessively delayed flight that caused me to miss my connecting flights. He then handed me a bag of toiletries and suggested I find a hotel on my own, and ushered me aside. By the time I walked away from the line, it was 12:00 am and every hotel I called was booked. I am now sitting, awaiting my flight to ROC, and it too has been moved from gate to gate without proper notification. I was told to watch the monitors until my flight takes off. I also just found out that my flight will be delayed again. I now understand why United is suffering; their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. I don't recommend ever flying with this company. Rates are reasonable, but it is most certainly not worth the hassle.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by H Darwent    (UK)

Travelled from Manchester, UK to Newark then onwards to Las Vegas. Was very apprehensive after reading some dreadful reviews of UA. Became more apprehensive when attempting online check in 24hrs before the flight - our two seats were not together which for a long flight was a concern. After trying to finalise online check in I received an error message informing me online checkin hadn't worked. Arrived at Manchester and told that unlikely we'd get seats together, in fact the flight full so although we had seats, they were yet to be allocated & we'd need to wait for further instructions at the boarding gate. Luckily, somehow we went from having seats apart, to having no seats to somehow having an upgrade to Economy Plus! No idea how on a full flight we managed this but was great. Fantastic legroom (would pay extra on long haul now I know how much better the legroom. Food very good, eggplant lasagne was lovely. Inflight entertainment was very good. Flights ahead of time. Internal flight between Newark & Las Vegas fairly standard, neither good nor bad. Found direct comparison between Economy Plus & Economy legroom! No free food offered on the 5hr internal flight although available to purchase. Overall was very pleased with the flights however unsure I'd want a repeat of the apprehension again, wondering if we had seats, never mind sitting together! I'm scoring high for what we received but unsure I'd travel with them again as could so easily have turned out badly & also couldn't recommend to friends in case they have the nerves I had in advance and at the airport, caused by UA procedure FOR online checkin/not allocating seats/together.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by L Pulliam    (USA)

Reno-Denver-Chicago-Louisville. All flights on time. Late check-in at Reno (my fault) and the ground staff helped to rush me through and make the flight, all with a positive attitude, and was greeted upon boarding the plane. Each flight was about 85% full so not packed in. Leg room was just fine on the A320, B757, and EMB175. All attendants pleasant, with just enough drink runs on each flight. All beverages were free including spirits. This was in economy! Arrived on time in Louisville more than happy with my day flying across country on three different flights. Plus my luggage made it. Maybe I am just lucky but United always seems to work out great for me. Used my air miles so this round trip only cost me $10.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Benjamin Green    (USA)

United airline is a terrible airline for overseas travels. I flew Chicago to Frankfort. Crew were rude and unhelpful. Somebody was seating in my seat and crew didn't support me when I asked her to go back to her seat. I reserved a seat at the time of booking and they sold me the same seat for extra $100! In a 12 hr flight there is no free alcoholic beverage, no socks, toothbrush or toothpaste. I strongly recommend never fly with united, especially for overseas.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by N Jordan    (USA)

IAD-SFO and SFO-IAD Flew United non-stop in economy. Absolutely no complaints. The planes were clean, on time, and the flight attendants were very good - always working. We brought our own food on board so cannot comment on the food sold. On the SFO-IAD flight there was quite a bit of turbulence but the pilot handled it very well. All of the United employees we encountered, in the air and on the ground, were friendly, helpful, and seemed to be happy in their jobs.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Deb Miller    (USA)

I wish I would have read the reviews for United before letting the travel agency book me on one of their flights. Twice we took off from Denver and both times we were re-routed back. The only information we got was a two second message from the pilot that we were going back. We were completely on our own to find out what we were supposed to do. None of the United employees were at all helpful and are very disengaged at this airport and it seems like you are bothering them if you ask a question. After standing in the customer service line to re-book, I was told no flights for two days. The customer service lady did seem to care, and spent half an hour looking for alternatives. I heard all sorts of people complaining about this airline and our shuttle driver said she hears about them all the time.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by O Steven    (Canada)

Recently flew several long international flights with United, from Chicago to Tokyo and back. For a 12 hour flight, there was no inflight entertainment, no seatback TV and they not charge money for drinks. I would argue that United is well below the average. The flight attendants do the bare minimum, and nothing more. I will not fly on United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by K Papis    (Switzerland)

EWR-ZRH. Traveled with baby, staff very inattentive and almost ignored our requests, even as simple as asking for some water (to make baby food). When water was brought, this was done with no empathy, and not asking if there was something else they could do. Any question was first met by unfriendly looks. United's ground service at EWR was a catastrophe. There are electronic check-in counters, about 20, with max. 3 staff to put the luggage onto the conveyor belt or to help if something can't be done through the user's interface, the computer tells you to 'wait for staff to help you', we waited for more than 20 minutes.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Gerald Pinaha    (USA)

We flew to Puerto Vallarta and back with a connection in Houston. Believe it or not, flying United, we actually had a fairly decent experience. Yes, the seats in coach are tight and uncomfortable. But at least 2 of the 4 flights left on time. Both flights to PV were on time and landed a bit ahead of schedule. We weren't so lucky on our return flights. The flight out of PV was delayed about a half hour because our plane arrived late. The flight out of Houston was delayed about 90 minutes but wasn't United's fault. There were many storms in Texas that night especially in Austin where our plane was coming from. So again, the delay was not the fault of United. When we finally did leave, we hit a lot of turbulence, but that was expected due to the weather. All in all, United did OK. Other then a few of their complimentary drinks, that's all we had on the plane. We refuse to pay for airline food. Not once on any flight did either my wife or myself use the bathroom. So to some it up, even though I hate to fly, this experience wasn't that bad.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax