United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Michael Rooney    (USA)

Friday 26 Sep 2014, my wife and I went to BTV for what we thought were two legs of a flight on United Airlines that would get us into SFO at 12.40 PT. We actually arrived at approximately 02.30 PT on Saturday, about 14 hours late. Part of the delay was caused by someone starting a fire in the FAA control tower at ORD. I have no complaints with United about that. My complaint with United is its total lack of communication on that Friday and on the return the following Friday. On the first leg from BTV to ORD, United kept telling us we had to wait an hour. We could not leave, we had to sit there, with no information, hour by hour, from 07.00 to 16.00. The only thing we were told was our connections would be okay because they could not fly either. United even put us on the plane and pulled away from the gate at about 12.30. Then they brought us back to the gate and had us deplane and wait some more. Finally, we left at about 16.00 and got to ORD expecting to get on the flight to SFO we were told was waiting. Imagine our surprise and anger to find the flight had left hours before. We were told we would have to stay the night in Chicago at our expense and leave in the morning! When I asked what about getting on the SFO flight the customer service person said it was fully booked and had a wait list. When I pushed the agent did put us on the wait list. One piece of luck, we got on the plane. It was late enough that other people did not show. We spent the week in SFO and went to the airport in plenty of time. We had checked in for the return flight when we checked in for the outbound flight online. We went to the kiosk to check-in and there was no reservation. The agent at SFO was able to get us on the plane somehow, so we relaxed again, almost as much as we were when we went to the airport. Then she hit us with an unwarranted baggage charge. It was unwarranted because we used a United MileagePlus card for the flight. Despite realizing we had not been charged for the bags on the way out to SFO she would not believe us they should not be charged for. When we got to ORD, we discovered our flight to BTV was not our originally scheduled 3 hour layover but an 8 hour layover. Again, there was no communication from the SFO agent to us about changing our second leg, it was just done. After a lot of talking we got onto our originally scheduled flight and got home on schedule.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by H Kleiven    (Australia)

I travelled with United alone with a 16 month old and 4 yr old twins from Australia to Los Angeles, to Memphis, Orlando and back to Australia. We got the cheapest fare available with anyone and my expectations were low. United were great! Good and helpful staff, good entertainment for twins, when we missed a flight we were promptly rebooked and paid no fees, food was not excellent but fine. This was a very welcome surprise - well done United!

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Bell Julie    (UK)

I flew from Manchester Airport and was flying to Newark, then had a connection flight to Rochester. As soon as I checked in I was told they had overbooked and asked us to fly to London first. I explained that we had a connection flight to Rochester and we were attending my nephews wedding so couldn't have any delays. We were then told there was no seats on the Rochester flight. After a lot of arguing they got us on the 1st flight to Newark and then found us flights on the Rochester flight but the 4 of us would not be seated together. I had 2 children with us and was not happy but just pleased to get the flights. Coming home we were delayed 3 times from Rochester. Our connection flight from Newark was boarding at 6.30pm, we got off our flight from Rochester at 7.05pm and had to run for 10 minutes to catch the flight, my daughter has asthma and struggled, however we just made the flight. I wouldn't book with United again as they did not make either of my journeys relaxed and enjoyable.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Lake Sruart    (UK)

Travelled LHR to SFO - flight fairly full, food good and seat plus fine. SFO to EWR - ordinary seat ok, snack tasty, no problems. Later EWR to LHR, again food fine and snack quite acceptable. We had no problems on 3 flights - only thing to complain about having to pay for t.v from SFO to EWR.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by L Ormerod    (UK)

Manchester to New York before flying to Las Vegas - all flights with United. Staff were terrible. They were completely uninterested in any one of the passengers and we we're treated as a huge inconvenience. The food was horrendous. When we flew from New York to Vegas things got even worse - we had a 5-hour flight with no entertainment. If we wanted something to eat or drink they wanted paying for it and the prices were ridiculous - the free tea, coffee or juice were disgusting so we stayed away from them for the entire flight. Again the crew were abysmal to say the least. We will never fly with United again. We have travelled a lot of long haul in the last ten years and I have never experienced anything as shoddy as United - what a start to the holiday you spend forever saving up for.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by N Burkoski    (Canada)

Travelled on a connecting flight from Toronto to Houston TX en route to Rio de Janeiro. Flight from Toronto was inexplicably delayed. Upon arrival in Houston, taxied to the gate only to find another plane at the assigned gate. Had to re-taxi to another gate arriving 5 minutes before scheduled departure to Rio de Janeiro. In spite of pleas from more than half the passengers regarding connecting flights, flight attendants stated it was out of their control to deal with. Upon deplanning, the Customer Service representative appeared over-whelmed with the situation and was of no assistance other than to direct all connecting passengers to the Customer Service Desk in Concourse C. The representative at the desk was of little assistance other than booking us on the next evening flight with non-adjacent seat assignments. Was not provided with the Premier Boarding package that I had booked and paid for in advance. We were told that we would not have access to our luggage and we were offered accommodations at a sub-par hotel chain which we declined. Also offered two $7 meal vouchers for a 24 hour period (which I also declined). Upon arrival the next evening, gate staff were less than courteous. Certainly such delays occur when flying however, the issue of not holding connecting flights when some 40 passengers are affected is not acceptable. This is especially true when arriving at or very near the scheduled departure time of the connecting flights and considering that such connection times are offered by the airline. Enhanced public relations by United staff would also go a long way in appeasing disgruntled passengers. That being said, the regional jet from Toronto to Houston was new and very roomy. The premium economy seats on the B777 was also comfortable.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by J Joseph    (Canada)

We had a great experience with United Airlines on our return flight from Ottawa (Canada) to Phoenix connecting through Chicago O'Hare. Our flight to Phoenix was smooth and on time. The only thing missing was inflight entertainment. Our return flight was complicated by the fact that a disgruntled employee set a fire to a centre governing the flights through both Chicago airports on the Friday before our Sunday departure. We called the United 1-800 number and got through to an agent quite quickly. She was extremely helpful and could not find us an alternate flight with United so arranged for us to take a flight from Phoenix to Philadelphia and Philadelphia to Ottawa with US airways. We departed and arrived at a very similar flight to our original flight with United. This was the best service that I have ever received in a difficult situation like this. We had a very tight connection on the way back and our baggage arrived on the flight with us. Good job United!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by D Fuluvaka    (USA)

Flew from Tucson AZ to Kona HI today. Horrible trip!. In Tucson the ticket agents argued and snapped at each other in front of the customers. The Tucson-LAX portion was fine, the flight attendant was very professional and as I was traveling with a handicapped companion she was very helpful. The flight from LAX to Kona Hawaii however was awful. The flight attendants were rude, short tempered and often ignored passengers questions. This was a five and a half hour flight to not even provide peanuts as a snack is ridiculous considering the cost of the food available for purchase. I will say the ground crew in Tucson, LAX and Kona were fantastic and really went out of their way to help out. My issue is that the ground crew doesn't work for United and I didn't buy my ticket from them. United seriously need to work on their customer service relations!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by C Tasker    (New Zealand)

On a recent trip we flew 3 times with United. The first flight was on 9 September, and we flew from Vancouver to Denver with a stopover en route to Albuquerque. These seats were all booked by a travel agent, and confirmed 5 months prior to travel. On the first flight my husband and I were seated separately - I was seated behind my husband. We were given water and/or soft drink during the flight. The attendants were very brisk, and almost rude in the 'service' they offered. But, the flight did leave and arrive on time. The connecting flight, however was not such a straight forward experience. When we went to the check-in we were informed by the staff that the flight had been over booked, and that we, at that stage were the over booked people. They did not apologise, in fact they treated us very rudely. They spent the next hour and a half offering 2 passengers other flights, hotel accommodation and $500 flight vouchers each in an effort to allow us to board the flight. Eventually, and approximately 3 mins before the flight doors were to close after boarding, and after I stood at the counter for around 10 mins they informed me that we could board. Again, we were seated separately, with my husband at the back of the plane, and me sitting at the front. Never any apology. Our third flight was on the 13 September, and we flew from Albuquerque to LAX in readiness for our flight back to Auckland, NZ. The staff at the airport were, again, rude. Our flight left more or less on time, and the flight staff were great, bright, and friendly. They actually appeared to be enjoying their job, and treated the passengers with friendliness and courtesy. We actually managed to sit together on this flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by McCoy Mike    (USA)

I have the United app and I was checking on the situation in Chicago from the day before - was not told anything until I was stuck in the airport away from freedom when the agent told me the first leg into Chicago was delayed 2 hours and the 2nd leg from Chicago to San Diego had a connection I was not going to make because of the time I get in - it was the last flight out of Chicago for the night. The Agent was amazing and put me on another airline that would get me home to my family. Forever grateful! Once on the plane to Chicago the 1st class flight attendant was very attentive and extremely caring. When I asked if there were any snacks she said that the previous flight had depleted the stock. When I informed her about my birthday flights and the problems I was having she went all out. She offered me her own personal snack out of her purse with a smile. Selfless and sincere. She was a blessing to my day. As I left she handed me a "care package" of treats she was able to scrounge up on the plane for and offered me a happy birthday wish. She and the gate attendant both made my long hours and travel home to my family not just bearable but enjoyable.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Karl Moosbrugger    (Austria)

FRA-IAD, and next morning IAD-MIA in business. FRA-IAD flight had to return to gate to get some loose freight container fixed, so plane left with 2 hour delay. Otherwise flight was fine. Seats were reasonably comfortable, entertainment OK. The inflight service was excellent with a delicious menu and very attentive flight attendants who regularly walked around with drinks and snacks. Baggage delivery at IAD was very fast. Domestic connection next morning also fine. Friendly and efficient check-in. Seats were comfortable and flight left on time. On the domestic leg they served drinks and a warm cookie. Baggage delivery on arrival reasonably quick.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by H Cody    (USA)

I recently traveled from Arkansas where I was visiting my family, back to Honolulu, HI where I am currently stationed in the US Air Force. On the last flight, as I was boarding, I was informed that my seat had been moved. When booking the flight I paid extra to have an exit row aisle seat, because I have bad knees and needed the extra leg room. I was instead placed in the middle seat of a non exit row. The staff made no explanation regarding my seat change, did not offer their apologies, and did not seem to have any concern over the money I had lost paying for a seat that I did not end up having. I am extremely frustrated with this service and will encourage all of my friends to fly with a different airline. This kind of treatment is unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by R Foulkes    (USA)

First class sure isn't what it used to be. On a round trip from Dulles to Vegas, both times they ran out of cereal before they took my breakfast order, so all they had to offer were some nasty eggs, broccoli casserole and dried out croissants. Apparently they only stock enough cereal for 1/2 of first class? Really? For a $1378 ticket, I want my freaking cereal, not food poisoning. The clincher was that they charge first class passengers for wi-fi access. They should be ashamed. Only a half notch above economy, if that much.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by K Kenneth    (Singapore)

SYD-SFO-SYD: Flew in late September. I got the same plane for both legs of the journey, which looks rather old. There appears to be more Economy Plus seats than Economy seats. Plane had a dodgy IFE for the entire section of seats I was seating. My own AVOD was jammed and could not be reset. Food was barely edible for dinner, but it got better for breakfast and drinks were forthcoming. Legroom was okay. From the US leg I had to use the kiosk to check in, but it refused to print my ticket and required a staff to assist me. I was disappointed with quality of the airline overall because I would have expected US-based airlines to have a superior standard. If you are flying on a budget, this may be for you but otherwise you might want to look elsewhere.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by J Kearns    (USA)

Our flight from Boston to Denver was delayed by an hour. We approached the service desk in Boston when notified about the delay because we had a very short layover on our way to Seattle. We were told all connecting flights would be fine, and that they would make up the time in the air. It wasn't until we were almost to Denver that they bothered to inform us of the added time to the flight, and we arrived just in time to see our next plane depart. They did put us up in a hotel for free, and got us on the next flight out the next morning, only to have that plane stop mid-takeoff due to a plane malfunction. If the staff had been gracious and accommodating during this nightmare, it might not have been so bad, but they had the nerve to tell us it was our fault for not having a longer layover (as if we had a choice). Never flying with United again, if we ever get back to Seattle.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by S Bramwell    (UK)

SFO-LAS, short flight on a 737 - flight departed about 25mins late, arrived a bit late, seats comfortable for a short flight. The flight did what it said on the tin. However, in my years of flying I've seen nothing like it! Onboard no crew at the door, sat down and noticed people across from me put three large bags by their feet and then put tray tables down to cover them. Crew failed to spot this on a few occasions but eventually did ask 'can you put your tray table up' walked away before they seeing the bags. Crew served drinks by just looking at you, no thank you, no hello, nothing! The flight had a free gift of cards given out - thrown at you of course. On leaving the flight the crew were at the front chatting. First time I've flown United is the last based on crew attitude - no smile, no communication.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Margaret Grace    (USA)

My initial flight from CA to Denver was delayed for 2 hours - no explanation. From this delay I missed the connecting United flight from Denver to Peoria. I was given tickets to flyig into Chicago - arriving 2 am with a ticket to Peoria the following morning. Of course no luggage as it was already re-routed and person at ticket counter at 2 am did not have access into the "holding" area. Traveling with my sister we were left in Chicago 2am - no hotel - no luggage- no vouchers- just be back in morning for 8 am flight to Peoria. United could do so much better with customer service - none of the United attendants seem to be concerned about a flight filled with unhappy customers - they just repeat their scripted message. The attendant at the end handing out flight information was rude to anyone who asked a question.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Jerks    (USA)

My husband and daughter had nothing but troubles with their recent flights. Part of their flight home (a 50 min flight from Chicago to Green Bay) was cancelled with no alternatives. They ended up having to rent a car to get home in time for the next day of work and school. United did not offer any compensation for the cancelled flight nor the car rental. Their customer service lacked immensely and the communication on the flight cancellation was obsolete. We will never fly with United again!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Wallace    (USA)

Tel Aviv to Newark in Business Class. Security was quick but the airline did check for beverages in the carry-on bags as I entered the 777-200 airplane don't purchase drinks for the flight. One hour forty-five minutes after a smooth take-off they turned off the fasten seatbelt sign but then turned it back on four minutes later. A recorded message said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please make sure your seatbelt is securely fastened". The flight attendants then repeated the message in English and Hebrew. This happened five more times during the 12 hour flight which made sleeping difficult. Breakfast was served one hour before landing and the flight attendants did a great job. It would be nice if they could turn down the volume of the recorded message as it made sleeping difficult.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by M Bonham    (USA)

I am currently sitting on a brand new United Airlines plane using their "United Airlines WiFi Beta". First off, I am sitting in front of an exit row. I was never notified that my chair will not recline. Why did United notify me when I was selecting my seat? Next question, why does United Airlines WiFi Beta not allow video streaming? GoGo WiFi works very well given the circumstances of being inflight when streaming videos. If you are going to force your passengers to use your WiFi, please offer a superior solution than what currently exists or just use GoGo or another service that already does a great job. Why was I not notified that this brand new plane would not have TVs? I expected to have TVs in a brand new plane. If these new planes must have so many hours to be certified before TVs can be installed, why do passengers not receive a discount on the flight and notified before purchasing the ticket? I feel like the staff, the plane, and the overall experience is geared to "securing" your safety which is great but every airline does that. Please don't use "my safety" as an excuse to give poor service. I can hop on a safe flight with any airline, I want an airline who thinks of the small things that I mentioned above. They have the capital, they have the people, how do they miss the small things I mentioned above?

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Wallace    (USA)

Newark to Munich in Business Class with a rude Continental crew. When I plugged in my headset which was located behind me, my tablecloth came off my tray and the flight attendant said, "your making a mess." When I got up to use the toilet in the back of the Business Class cabin, the toilet was occupied, so I waited in the aisle because I know flight United flight attendants don't like people waiting in their galley. With a hand motion the flight attendant told me to move back another few inches. Breakfast was served 1.5 hours before landing. The fasten seatbelt sign had been on for five hours straight and passengers were told to prepare for landing. The plane was still at 36,000 feet and there was still 40 minutes before landing. Within one minute, the flight attendant was moving my seat to the landing position and said, "your not paying attention." It doesn't take 40 minutes to prepare for a smooth landing. If you are looking for a pilot that says, I'll be turning the fasten seatbelt sign on soon for landing, so if you need to use the restroom, now would be a good time to do this, don't pick this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Gongora Angie    (Canada)

Took an economy class flight from Burlington to Bogota, with a stop in Newark. On the flight over from Newark to Bogota a 6 hour flight, the AC was on full blast, I was freezing so I asked the flight attendant for a blanket, told that they don't provide blankets or pillows. They don't provide food on the flight! A 6 hour international flight without food is unacceptable, they want you to pay 10$ for poor quality plane food. On top of all of the above mentioned you have to pay for inflight entertainment, 7.50$ for 4 hours! In summary, I had a 6 hour flight with no food, no entertainment and freezing up.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Mordey Stephen    (UK)

I've been a Mileage Plus member and a United frequent flyer since 1995. The programme can offer outstanding benefits if your travel needs match their network. I recently flew LHR to EZE via IAH. And this was fairly typical of my travels in recent years. I booked an itinerary in economy class and upgraded using miles and a cash fee. All flights were upgraded to business first, well in advance of my departure. All flights offer lie flat seating. Sleeping for several hours on long haul sectors comes easily. Service is most often generous, food is not luxurious, but is well presented, tasty and enjoyable. Particularly the fish dishes which are my first choice. Drinks are plentiful, I love the cheese course, rounded off with an ice cream sundae, served to order. Followed by a liqueur and coffee. During UA958 from ORD to LHR on the morning of Sept 18th, I awoke to discover that my passport had fallen from my pocket and was rested in an impossible to reach location beneath the structure of my seat. I requested some assistance from a flight attendant in the galley hoping that this might be offered after landing. The professional concerned simply picked up a flashlight and a large serving fork. The flight attendant lay flat on the floor and successfully retrieved my passport for me. All done with a smile and a great attitude. While criticisms often aired in forums such as this sometimes come with fair justification. On a good day, and certainly with increasing frequency, I find the level of service on board United Airlines to be improved, and sometimes outstanding. I am a 1K and million mile flyer. I am confident that I will continue to be. There are some lovely people in the friendly skies!

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by C Damato    (USA)

UA635, LAS to LA, 15 Sept 2014. UA 306, LAX to BWI, 15 Sept. The worst thing that has happened is United merging with Continental. Having been a million mile flyer on Continental, I find the flight schedules on United a total mess. Always a hub connection whether it's Chicago, Denver, Houston, Cleveland, LA or San Francisco always inconvenient and time consuming. Boarding process is archaic, Southwest can unload, reload and leave in the time it takes United Passengers to Board. Always delays and excuses. Give me Southwest any day, no Mickey Mouse seat charges, baggage charges, have a decent amount of non stop flights, plus at least you get peanuts more than I can say I get from United's unhappy flight attendants.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Roger Geisler    (USA)

Very dissatisfied! Today I had a flight from Charleston to Phoenix with a one hour lay over in Houston. Very little time to switch terminals but scheduled by United. While waiting I learned the Charleston flight was delayed by 30 minutes. Told by flight attendant that this is due to one crew member coming late to the flight causing the delay. Now I have 30 min to get to flight which will not happen and have to stay night in Houston. United has reserved flight at 07.30 next morning. Problem: Parking has been prepaid on my vehicle only until my arrival time. My luggage is already in Phoenix as it left on earlier flight. No reservations in Houston for stay. No meal arrangements. I will refuse to travel with United in the future. Just a note. United has offered meal vouchers and hotel.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Qadi Z Jalisi    (UK)

Travel agent persuaded me to buy economy plus seat tickets at 960 per person for travel on 22nd August 2014. The seats for outward journey LHR-Washington was 19G and E which was fine, but on return journey our seats were 27 G and H These seats are just like any normal cheap economy seats. As usual the leg room felt the same as cheap economy seat, the space between two aisle seats was the same. Trolley kept hitting passengers. The food was of poor quality on both legs. The seat were sold by their agent claiming that the Economy Plus class is just as good as Premium class of other airlines and few hundred pounds cheaper.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by J Trusky    (USA)

The first leg of my trip from Buffalo NY Washington D.C. (IAD-Dulles) was three hours late departing. Weather was fine. September 12, 2014. They didn't have a plane? Why sell tickets for "ghost flight". My return flight from Washington D.C. (IAD-Dulles) was Sept. 15, 2014. Supposed to depart 8.15 am, arrive in Buffalo NY 9.35 am. At 7.45 am they text me with a flight delay of 30 minutes. At 8 am they announce that the flight is cancelled because of no crew. Another ghost flight. Go to Customer service where they tell me they can get me home at 11 pm that night, which is 9 hours later. I say no. They can put me on US Aiways but I have to go to Reagan National airport. I have no way of getting there, so they put me on a shuttle. My checked luggage (which I had checked in at United) ends up in Norfolk VA. I fly on the 4 pm flight from Reagan airport on US Airways to Buffalo NY and get home at 5 pm. I will never fly United again. I have used them for over five years for my flights to D.C. where my son and grandchildren live. The plane was dirty and noisy. The US Airways plane was at least a jet and it was clean and staff were professional.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Hillar Brandt    (Spain)

CCS-IAH-MIA and back, Business class. Never have I flown another airline with this kind of awful service, small airplanes and old smelly seats, pretty uncomfortable for business class. Rude attendants was quite bossy, boarding is odd, you have a business boarding pass and start wondering how many people fit in that section of the plane before they allow you to board. I have a feeling they inherited the bad service from Continental. One thing is sure, no one in his right mind, after flying any European, Asian or Latin American airline like me, will surely never set foot on United's planes again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by C Arnesen    (Canada)

LAS-ORD-AMS. I try to like United, but the delays have become too much. Initially booked LAS-IAD and onward SN connection to BRU. Aircraft change on LAS-IAD led to being bumped onto LAS-ORD-IAD-BRU. Unworkable as ORD layover was only 50 minutes and my parents on separate ticket weren't bumped. Ultimately accepted change to LAS-ORD-AMS on UA metal, but with upgrade to E+ for trouble, which was appreciated. Tight layover of 75 minutes in ORD. Morning LAS-ORD flight delayed 60 minutes despite good weather across the country. UA agent offered next day's flight if we missed our connection, I had to push hard and literally read out each flight number on alternative LH, LX, and UA flights. Agent was in the end helpful in taking my instructions, protecting us on LH flight from ORD-FRA-AMS if flight was missed. Stress remained high; paid for Wifi on ORD to monitor situation. Arrival gate repeatedly changed, adding to stress of possible connection success. All the while, ORD-AMS flight delayed 40 minutes, yet never appeared on UA website or advised by crew throughout LAS-ORD flight. Frantic disembarkment of flight and did not learn of delay until arrived at gate. Set aside improving its operation, UA could avoid stress and hassle of employees and pax if it could at least learn how to communicate situations and update flight status's. Seatmate had experienced same mess the day before but unfortunately did have to wait 24 hours for the next UA flight to AMS. ORD-AMS an hour late, though ironically great news for us. The infamous and ancient B763 Ghetto Bird, window covered in sticky goo, but led to free apology wine from FA after I called attention to it and personally cleaned it. Announcements in Dutch noticed and appreciated. Crew notably pleasant. Baggage made connection, which was merciful. Food markedly worse than AC and European carriers. Delays are too routine, however, and with the watering down of MP program, I have already actively booked away from US carriers when flying to Europe on next two flights, both from the States and Canada. Return on AC B772 was on time and more comfortable all around - food, IFE, seat.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by J Voss    (USA)

As a Platinum customer I fly a lot with United and it is amazing how bad United has become over the last 5 years. Not only did they delay today's departure for a little bit of rain in DC and called it a thunderstorm, but they also let our connection leave without us for our honeymoon. I am less frustrated when it is a business trip as I always expect that United does not make its connections. Last year I did not have a single flight on time and missed 6 flights. The business class had very uncomfortable seats, the staff made the same announcement every 20 minutes for about 2 hours, that we would be a little bit late. Then they made another announcement that someone would be waiting with information for us in Munich. All we were told at Munich airport was to go to the Lufthansa Service Center. The service agent sen us immediately to the departure gate but did not let the airplane know that there were multiple customers coming. So the plane left 5 minutes before we arrived at the gate after a wild goose chase through Munich airport. After flying for years and being vegetarian, I usually bring my own food as I am over the monotonous and tasteless food they serve, but today I flew business and I wanted some champagne and a meal. It is always the same and the quality of the food has gone downhill and the dessert has also not changed in the last 5 years. The purser came and apologized in person, big deal, however she did not have any information for those that got stranded in Munich.What about their new security video, between images with kangaroos and people sitting in seats on the beach, you get completely lost in their new bizarre security video. As an educator I can guarantee that not 1/3 of people have afterwards a clue of what was said because this looks more like a reality TV series or a bad infomercial. I have been to Africa, Peru and Europe on three long flights and the movies between these directions do not change. In the last 6 weeks I have seen almost all of what is worth seeing so that's why I gave the Entertainment 1 star. All in all, stay away from United, flying with United is no fun anymore, the individual customer does not make any difference to United.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Carol Massey    (USA)

6012, IAH to LIT non-stop flight due to leave IAH at 12.50 pm cancelled. Reason given was bad weather in Little Rock area. No bad weather in area so that was a bogus excuse. Re-routed to Chicago into LIT. Missed connecting flight in Chicago. Finally caught flight to LIT at 8.30 pm. Upon arrival at LIT, could not get bags which had come in on an earlier flight. Terrible service and nobody involved seemed to care.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Katyare Reena    (India)

Had a very bad experience with United Airlines. While travelling from EWR to MSP, we boarded the aircraft and were kept sitting for 1 hour, then we were told that there were some technical issues so we changed aircraft. Second aircraft also made us wait for one and half hours due to a fuelling issue. Coming back from MSP to EWR, the flight was delayed an hour. I will never fly again with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Engels    (Netherlands)

ORD-AMS overnight on B767 in Biz Class, lousy service by uninterested cabin staff, food barely edible. Late departure, late arrival. Will try to avoid.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by E Moss    (USA)

I was supposed to fly direct from Indianapolis to Washington Dulles Sunday Sept 14 on UA3726. When I got to the airport I was advised the flight had been cancelled earlier that day. The ticketing agent said there were no available flights so I was stranded in Indianapolis until the next morning. She was unwilling to offer any hotel or any other compensation. The only available flights the next day had layovers instead of being direct. I took a United flight easily from IND to ORD the next morning. However, the flight from ORD to IAD on UA382 was horrible. We boarded the flight late because there were so many people on standby. Then we sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours because they said they needed to refuel. Supposed to land at 11:39am but arrived after 1.30 pm.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by S Andrews    (UK)

On 21st August this year, my wife and I were to fly United from Heathrow to Chicago and booked in early July. As soon as online check in opened, I found that only five seats were left which meant that we were to be separated during the flight. How were all the rest allocated before the 24hr opening time? The night before we were due to fly out, I received a text message to say that the flight was cancelled. Whilst on route to LHR, a text arrived telling us to check in as normal. At the United desk, we were told that we would be bussed to a hotel for the night. The best compensation they could offer was Economy Plus instead of our Economy seats. On the flight out, the food was appalling. Drinks were served from jugs carried down the gangways in a very unprofessional style by very unprofessional stewardesses. After arrival at Chicago, we thought our problems were over. Whilst in Washington, we went to Dulles Airport to see a United Supervisor to ensure that we could sit together on the return flight on 11th September. The system would not allow her to print boarding cards with seat allocations more than 24hrs before departure, but she printed some boarding cards and wrote the seat numbers on the cards. For the return journey, we arrived in good time at Chicago, checked in, and boarded the aircraft on time to find that we had been given Economy Plus seats. Start up time came and went and then an announcement was made that an electrical fault existed. We waited, eventually, after a delay of approx. 1.5 hours, we were off back to Blighty. The flight through the night was unpleasant due to the aircraft being very cold which made sleeping almost impossible. Altogether, not a very good experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Pat Jackson-Holley    (USA)

UA5260, IAH-LIT. Uncomfortable seats, unacceptable number of delays in Houston. Lack of concern for inconvenience caused to passengers is unacceptable. These tactics are a sign of pure greed. I will make it a point to never fly this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Patricia Knott    (USA)

PDX to MRY round trip Sept 3rd and 10th via San Francisco and via LA. They have consistently delayed flights to/from MRY because they cannot find a plane. On September 3rd, they changed gates twice, making it difficult for a senior to get to. Today, September 10th they are delaying again for the same reason. This means that I'll miss my LA connection because this flight will arrive after the plane leaves that airport. I'm going back to Alaska, they can schedule planes to flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Rabin    (USA)

LHR-SFO. Connecting to this flight from Brussels on Brussels Airlines, maybe 4 or 5 folks on this flight going to the SFO flight. Brussels flight late, connecting time tight for LHR (scheduled for 70 minutes, more like 25 with the late flight, and you have to go through security to get to US). Brussels Airlines has not transferred to Star Alliance Terminal 2 yet where United lives, so we had a mad dash across from Terminal 1. Got to gate after going through security-one of the agents said don't worry, they were holding the flight a few minutes for us. (That's good service). As usual, the flight attendants on UA were generally friendly and polite, but are not formal like the European or Asian airlines, which is fine with me. Food reasonably good; had a chicken dish for lunch that was quite tasty actually. Overall, a nice easy flight after working up a sweat running to the gate.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by K Hose    (UK)

I have to say I was extremely hesitant after reading the reviews on this site and due to fly with UA on 22nd August 2014. I had 5 flights covering a 3 week period and flew from Glasgow - Newark- Las Vegas - San Fran - San Diego back to Newark - Glasgow and was totally happy with the service provided to my family and I. We experienced no delays, the cabin crew couldn't have been nicer and the pilots seemed to go out their way to improve passenger comfort. The seating within the plane was large enough in economy and the in flight entertainment was excellent during the international flight to and from Glasgow. All in all I have no issues with any of the flights, delays happen and when they do you have to deal with them its a part of every day travel and I'm sure every airline experiences them. Will definitely be recommending UA to anyone who asks.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

Just returned from USA flying both ways with United. 3rd flight this year flying with United to SFO connecting to ACV (Eureka). United is the only commercial airline flying into ACV. Food is never that great, but that's pretty much the norm with most airlines I guess. Inflight entertainment is perfect with personal screens (777 aircraft, if flying 747 then just multi screen). I am a silver mileage plus member so currently gain access to economy plus free of charge which is a bonus, along with the extra benefits of being a silver mileage plus member. Outbound flight on time, three seats to stretch out across which was great. Returning from SFO to LHR all crew London based. The service from the Base crew was the worst I have experienced from any cabin crew. I've even flown US Airways a couple of times in the past and anyone who has flow US Airways will know how scratchy their service is, but even US Airways cabin crew offered better service than what I witnessed from the London base crew with United. Crew looked like they didn't want to be there, drinks service only twice for a 10 hour flight, food awful. Breakfast just a croissant and a couple of chunks of melon, why even bother. Maybe United should send out WYR surveys to passengers and that way they would get a broad idea of a customers experience. However I'm not flying with United for cheap smiles and attractive cabin crew and 1st class service, what I am flying with United for is airline miles, premier service with mileage plus and an airline that can get me to my final destination, the rest is just extra.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax