United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Harvey    (USA)

United's poor handling of airline operations and poor customer service led to two cancelled flights and nine hour in the airport on June 30 (ending on July 1 at 3.30am) for my originally scheduled flight #518 from Chicago ORD to Portland, OR (PDX). After arriving 3 hours late into ORD on a flight from Munich because of an unscheduled stop in Boston to change pilots, I arrived to find flight #518 from ORD to PDX delayed because of a maintenance issue. After three delays, two gate changes and three hours, the flight was cancelled. I was reassigned to Flight #627 scheduled to depart at 8.25pm. If my original flight had left on time, I would have missed the weather delay that started at about 7pm and lasted for an hour or so. The weather delay did mess things up and flights were diverted to wait for the weather to pass. Our incoming plane was diverted to Rockford, IL for a ground stop and then never made it to Chicago. We had 7 official delays, several noted only after the original delay deadline had passed and then the delay was only another 30 to 45 minutes, so not much time to go get food etc. We had 3 gate changes during the process, the last of which brought us back to the gate where our plane for Flight #518 was still sitting, still with its mechanical problems. Our inbound aircraft never made it, no alternative aircraft could be brought to the gate, even though there was an alternate aircraft available and the flight crew timed out at just before 2am when they cancelled the flight. They offered a hotel voucher, but the closest hotel was 20 miles away. After 26 hours travelling, the last nine being at ORD, I left for a hotel I had to pay for an hour away in downtown Chicago. Very poor customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Perera    (Canada)

Worst travel experience ever. Travelling with two young kids, not given seats together on flights from YVR to IAH and IAH to Tampa even after calling Customer Service before the flight. Flight to IAH was late resulting in missing connection to Tampa. Had to stay in IAH for 6 hours with two kids and Customer Service did not appear to care or want to help. UA has the worst customer service and do not listen to their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by L Hollaway    (USA)

I flew UA Spokane WA to Denver, CO and flight staff were late for work so slight delay. Plane was crowded but staff pleasant. Got to Denver, landed at Gate B1 and had to run to Gate B95 because I had 5 mins to catch my next flight, also UA. Finally got to my gate to find it was changed, and there was a delay for half an hour. This turned into a two hour delay as they kept extending it. Plane was very crowded and tiny seats, staff were friendly enough, served cold coffee. I was lucky as everyone I sat with had a UA flying horror story. All in all it could have been worse. I thought staff being late was rather tacky. I think I will fly Delta next time.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Toni Pozo    (Catalonia)

Our United flight DCA-ORD (direct) was cancelled and finally we arrived to Chicago 12 hours later, flying via New York. Very bad information from staff. Only 4 days later another United flight, from Chicago to Frankfurt, was delayed more than 2 hours and we lose our flight connection to Barcelona. Entertainment and service on board was very poor. We've flown with many airlines from five continents and United is the worst in service. We cannot recommend this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Bang Anne    (Norway)

UA 39 from OSL to EWR, 23 June and UA 38 from EWR to OSL, 29 June 2014. The plane was on route both directions (OSL-NYC return). The cabin staff made our flight very pleasant. Of course there is not much space in economy seat, but it turned out to be manageable.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Larner    (UK)

We flew from Birmingham, UK to Newark, USA (Washington to Las Vegas, San Francisco/Newark and then back to Birmingham, middle of May and United were brilliant. Seats reserved as requested on all flights so no stress there. A bit more legroom would be good especially when passengers recline their seats usually not necessary. No delays, all staff, especially those on board very pleasant and most helpful on all flights. Food served was pretty good, water offered throughout the various flights. All baggage looked after, nothing lost or delayed. A good airline, keep it up. [Unfortunately, some passengers tend to disregard the comfort of passengers behind them, backs of their seats reclined fully from the start and throughout the journey even though not sleeping, but watching a movie or playing games].

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Walter Martin    (USA)

Premuim Economy

Flight 63, July 4 2014. We had a full coach with no functioning bathrooms! I found out from one of the FA's that the flight came to Madrid from Washington with the forward bathroom already broken and the service crew didn't bother to fix it. Mid flight the second bathroom got irreparably jammed because of over use and lack of water. Of the last one soon followed. What sort of management runs a company like that. United will soon have the reputation that Aeroflot had back in the eighties. We will never travel with United again and that after twenty years of loyalty.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by E Oddo    (USA)

I am a Premier Silver member on United. I am on the verge of switching airlines for future travel due to the horrible experience I'm having. I used miles to book a ticket from Sao Paulo to Chicago. They cancelled the flight (UAL 844) on July 1 (apparently weather in Chicago), again (UAL 844) on July 2 and automatically rebooked me on a flight on July 4 with a connection through Washington D.C. There has been zero communication from United except for an automatic rebooking email. Hundreds of travelers are now stranded at a Holiday Inn on the outskirts of Sao Paulo, Brazil. I will be stranded in Sao Paulo for four extra days! I consistently attain Premier Silver status and always defend United when other customers complain of how bad an airline it is. Since I fly out of Chicago O'Hare, I know I have other options in terms of airlines. I do not even know if I will make it out on July 4. The hotel we are at has provided no information to any of the customers in terms of what is the next step. As United increases capacity to try to build revenue, they need to not forget about what matters the most: the customer. If this is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will be taking my business to American Airlines (or elsewhere).

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T White    (Australia)

United Flight San Fran to Sydney due to depart at 10.20pm, July 1st. Late away from the gates. Over 2 hours on the runway - a disruptive passenger means we have to return to the gate so that she can be removed by police. We are then told that we are not allowed to depart at all that evening and have to get off the plane. Went to customer service with all 350 other people. Queue to get a hotel voucher and new tickets for 25 hours later. Queue to get the shuttle. Finally in a hotel in the middle of nowhere at 3am. 25 hours of my life gone - disgraceful communication from United. Passenger was already behaving badly in the airport bar before departure.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T White    (Australia)

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Rose Daniel    (USA)

I have been flying UAL for nearly 30 years now, but I increasingly find them to be worse and worse. I have written to them twice now to protest their terrible baggage policies that encourage people to game the system and bring large, heavy luggage to the gate so that they can get it on for free rather than paying for checking. This means long delays and dangerous conditions on board as people try to lift bags that are too heavy for them over the heads of other passengers, putting them in danger. Indeed, this last flight I took a direct hit on my head from a passenger's backpack that was too heavy for her. No attendant came to see if I was safe and uninjured. Attendants told me they could not announce that passengers should be careful of other passengers when loading luggage because it would be a "deviation from the script" and get them in trouble. This is no longer an airline that I can say puts the client first.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by S McAvoy    (USA)

My family and I flew United from Austin, TX to Portland, ME on June 30th. Or at least we tried to fly into Portland. We boarded our flight in Austin and arrived to Chicago with no problems. In Chicago, we boarded our connecting flight, but were told we were going to have to sit on the runway for a while because of the thunderstorms going on. About 30 minutes later, we had to deplane for our safety. When we got off the plane, we discovered numerous flights had been canceled due to weather. About 15 minutes later, they got us back on the plane and told us we just had to fuel up and that they were going to get us to Portland that night. So then, we waited out the weather for 6 hours and finally it was clear enough to take off at midnight. However, one of the flight attendants timed out right when we were about to push back from the gate at midnight, so they canceled it and told us to go wait in the customer service line to rebook. The line stretched over 10 gates and wasn't really helping any customers. Called customer service instead and was told there were no flights from Chicago to Portland until 3 days later and the best they could do for us was fly us to Hartford, Connecticut - a 4 hour drive from Portland. Told our luggage would be sent to our destination, Portland, and would be waiting for us once we drove there. When we finally arrived in Portland at 6pm, 24 hours after we were supposed to, 3/4 bags hadn't even arrived. They have lost my family as customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by C Caldwell    (USA)

I switched from Southwest airlines 5-6 years ago. Logged around 180K miles since joining Continental/United. A while back I used most of my balance of miles to reward myself with a trip to Vegas for me and my wife. First Class there and coach back. Purchased at least a month in advance, checked in the day before, received tickets with our seat assignments while checking our bags. So far so good. At the gate they informed us that United overbooked First Class-still plenty of seats on plane-just overbooked First Class-not sure how you do that-since the odds of "no shows" happening with FC seats has to be rare. I understand overbooking the plane, but not a section. We were told since we did not purchase the tickets with money, we were the lucky losers. Someone gave up their seat which put my wife in first class and me in the back. Five years of loyalty resulted in a final reward of getting split up to start our vacation. The image of my wife crying at the gate will forever remind me of how United rewards their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Richard Bundrick    (USA)

In the last month I and my family have flown United four times. Three of the four flights were unmitigated disasters causing terrible disruptions in our plans and incredible inconvenience. To make matters worse, it seems as if United is totally focused on the passenger bearing all the downside to their poor execution. We got off a cancelled flight in Chicago ay 12.30 am and were greeted with nothing more than a toll free number to call for help. Not only the most pathetic customer service I've seen for an airline, but the worst service I can recall for any business I've been associated with. I will fly United from now on only as a last resort.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by K Christianson    (USA)

Flew UA1453 on June 29, 2014 from Dulles to Seattle. Worst experience ever. Took 90 minutes to check bags. Flight left 3 hours late. Had to board twice. They had to reassign seats for four different families with little kids because they didn't get seated together when issued tickets. Had to unload because they had a flat tyre. Apparently, they don't check things like that before loading planes. Watched Laurel and Hardy change the tyres. Missed my connecting flight in Seattle (of course).

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Lauri Stephens    (USA)

Flight from New Orleans, LA to Houston Texas delayed multiple times due to weather. Frequent gate changes, plus delays required interaction with agents required to arrange connecting flights. 3 times waited in line for over an hour. One agent actually yelled at us about "why didn't we all just call the reservations line?" Which of course we were all trying to do, but could not get through. I ended up spending the night at the Houston airport. I asked United personnel if I could get a blanket and pillow and was told they did not have any. However, the next morning on another Untied concourse there were at least a dozen people on cots - with pillows and blankets! I also was unable to get anything to eat or drink as all of the businesses in the airport seemed to close at 10pm and we arrived at ~ 10.03. I am diabetic and have MS (had not eaten since 9am) and was unable to get any United personnel to help me out with this matter. I remain appalled at the lack of customer service and professionalism of United's staff.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Espinosa    (USA)

June 25 2014 - flight delayed in Norfolk, Virginia due to high winds at our destination. Not enough personnel to assist travelers at the counter. Computers were not operable. Attendant repeatedly assured us we were next in line but continued to help other people. After a 45 min wait another attendant arrived and made every effort to help but it was too late. Spent night at airport, since local hotels were booked. Passengers were given a blanket and told to look for a place to sleep. Airport was extremely cold and loud music played all night. Witnessed the treatment from a United Supervisor towards a passenger at the Customer service counter - rude! Prior to this ordeal, we attempted to change flight one day earlier but refused to pay the $200 - $300 per ticket. This was our second experience with United and were told that since they were purchased/merged with Continental, the customer service has declined. Will try to avoid flying with them until this is corrected.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Cathy Boyd    (USA)

The trip from Little Rock to Moline was fairly uneventful, except for a delay due to weather in Chicago. That is understandable. However, the return trip from Moline to Little Rock was a complete disaster! Our flight from Moline to Chicago was delayed for crew time-out. Really? Our flight had been scheduled for over 2 months. Surely that is enough time to prepare for an available crew. Naturally, even though we ran as fast as we could, not easy for 60+ year old people, we missed our connecting flight. Then we spent another 2 hours waiting in line to find another airline. Not allowed to mention lost luggage. Horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Andres Montoya    (USA)

I flew San Francisco to Hong Kong, and the old 747-400 didn't even have a good entertainment system. The audio outlets on the seats did not work, the food was horrible! Alcoholic drinks are not free. On top of the $2000 USD fare that I am paying to fly economy, I still have to pay $6 dollars for a beer. On top of that, since I was coming from Bogota via Houston, then to San Francisco, when I arrived into Hong Kong, my bag was not there! On my way back from Hong Kong, to Newark, and then to Bogota, I happened to have the last row and the seats do not recline. On top of that, I get to Bogota, and my luggage was not there again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by J Howard    (USA)

June 27th 2014 - I usually avoid United because I have very rarely had a flight that wasn't delayed or cancelled outright with little to no notice. Today was no exception with a delay causing over a 90 minute delay. Nearly 25% of the other passengers on this flight were unable to get to connecting flights with this delay and were summarily told to pound salt when asked what United could/would do for them. Myself being only minorly inconvenienced could only hang my head in sympathy for passengers who would inevitably be left in Chicago O'Hare (also with it's share of issues) but when other passengers began comparing experiences on United they all agreed that this was relatively common regardless of destination. I cannot recommend United to anyone and suggest they actively avoid using this airline unless they absolutely don't need to get to their destination on time. Avoid using United Airlines unless you don't care about being on time or even arriving the same scheduled day. The fares are a poor bait and switch tactic and I would be surprised if the FAA does not step in soon.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew IAH-DFW on June 11 as first leg to onward travel to Frankfurt on United Ticket but second leg operated on Lufthansa (business). Flight was delayed, plane change and gate change. Had no access to United Club even with International Business Ticket in Houston. Reason was that my flights would have to be business all the way through final destination, but E145 has no business. Barely made my connection in DFW. Reasons above are easy to fix but I guess not intended to. Why not make your customers happy. Work hard Fly right? Staff were nice and friendly and tried to make up for the delay and no access policy. Summary, nice Staff but more and more 'unfriendly' policies.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

A very old 737-700 was used on this 5-hour flight from Washington, D.C. To Vancouver. The first class seat, although spacious, is very drab. The whole cabin has a very utilitarian design with nothing that says flying with United is an exciting experience. I have to say though that elements of the experience have improved over the last few years. A cloth hot towel has been re-introduced, and even though they ran our of food items in the first class cabin the breakfast selection was good. Besides a scrambled eggs option, they had a healthy oat bran choice as well, that I really enjoyed. Moreover, they also came by during the flight with a fruit basket. Great to see healthy food options being provided. Reminder: don't sit in the last row of the cabin, like I did, as the seat doesn't fully recline back.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by N Reich    (USA)

Flew PEK-ORD (flight 850) and ORD-MSP (flight 597) on Monday, June 23. United often gets a bad reputation, but overall I was very happy with my flights. Flight 850 left on time and arrived early in Chicago. The plane was clean, the in-flight entertainment had a great selection of movies and TV shows, and the crew were very friendly and helpful. The only problem I have with United's international flights is the lack of free beer and wine in Economy Class. Flight 597 to MSP boarded on time, but then we sat on the tarmac for 50 minutes before we were given clearance to leave. Once we did finally take off, the rest of the flight was fine. I'm a very happy United customer and would recommend this airline to anyone. While United's CEO is trying to cut costs and is devaluing the airline, the flight crew and gate agents still work hard to give customers a great flying experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Ted Chigaros    (USA)

Flew UA 319, Global First last night connecting from Austrian Airlines and was looking forward to experiencing UA's Global First on their three class 777 as I rarely ever fly UA. Horrible experience. Started with denying us access to the Global First Lounge as we were on Aeroplan miles, even though their website says flying in Global First grants access to the lounge. They sent us three rail stops away to the Lufthansa Business Lounge so we could shower after the 10 hour+ flight from Vienna. The Gate Area was a mess with over 300 people crammed into a small area, lining up like cattle in divided rows for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lanes - worse then Southwest. The plane came in late. We had to move to another Gate Area from C12 to D3 for another aircraft. The second Gate Area was larger. After a 1 hour and 38 minute delay, we took off. Despite only 8 seats in Global First, they don't get to board first. You must wait in Lane 1. Seems like an odd policy. The seats and cabin are very nice, no complaints. The video/audio choices extensive except the screen is a little small compared to other carriers. For a transcon, the drink/meal service stunk. The flight attendants were pleasant but UA offers no menus, no champagne, a tiny nut dish of peanuts and almonds, limited food choices (chicken or pasta), all served at once on a plastic tray. The quality of food was poor. The sundae was very nice. Now I understand why United is having such a difficult time. They need to check out what other US carriers are doing.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by C Lin    (USA)

In a recent long-haul flight (UA871) SFO-TPE, business class again ran out of the Asian meal option. This occurred in 4 out of my 5 recent transpacific flights. The purser came and apologized. She said United loaded only four such meals into a business class that seats 44 passengers! With a destination that is Taipei, it's astounding that United didn't bother to prepare more Asian food options. It seems to never happen when I fly Asiana, Cathay, Singapore or Lufthansa. It happens only on United. Is United hedging on meals to save money? And what is this 2-4-2 business class configuration? It's pretty bad given that for the same fare, one can fly in a much more spacious environment on competing airlines. I wish United would dismantle these terrible seats.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by A Welling    (Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran, and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight), terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is), multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. I am not sure who employed these folk or why on earth they decided to work in the service industry but they were not only dismissive, cold, and patronising towards guests, they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary, I don't understand UA's play. They act like a low’ cost airline. I say 'low low' because the majority of low cost airlines play in the mid tier now. As a national carrier, I don't understand this. They can't beat Southwest, so you'd think service would be a priority. Manners are free last time I checked. Once again, it takes more effort to be that terrible then it would to provide a half decent service. They are too many alternatives to put yourself through a UA experience. The most interesting part of this is all they have to do is look at Qantas and others who behaved like this in the late 90s and ended up losing half of their market share, and have been struggling since. Your people are your business.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by A Ehmen Carlotta    (USA)

We have flown with a number of other airlines both internationally and domestic and flying United was a nightmare. Weather is out of everyone's control but management of the overall system is a disaster and not equipped on the front line to deal with flight problems. We normally fly in and out of MSP but United ORD on the surface offered better options for connections to and from Toronto. The problems in Chicago, from what information we managed to get (mostly from other passengers both on our flight and other flights), were they did not know where aircraft crews were, where the planes were coming and going, or what gate (we were moved 3 times-one of which was on the opposite end of the terminal). We have had less delays and problems flying out of MSP in brutal winter weather. They make no announcements and changes are not posted timely, and if you can't get an audience with very limited counter agents, you find out your flight has been cancelled when the boarding time has come and gone. We witnessed that time and again. We were rebooked on the same flight 24 hours later-and as expected no luggage when we arrived-the tracking showed the time and place it was checked in more than 24 hours earlier at ORD-no progress up the chain in over 24 hours. I honestly feel for the counter people who have to deal with the chaos and irate passengers with little information and resources to fix problems-no wonder they may be less than friendly at times. I do believe there are huge and unnecessary internal problems with this airline (or airport) because we have flown from coast to coast, foreign countries and very bad weather with other airlines (and airports) that managed to deal with flight problems in a more efficient and passenger friendly manner. Who cares about the free soda with no ice - it would appear United-ORD has much, much bigger problems.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by B Scott    (USA)

DEN to ORD on a new (or with a new interior) A-320 and was very disappointed. UA has removed the entertainment system on this new plane, both audio and video, so if you like listening to "From the Cockpit" you are out of luck. Not everyone is always traveling with a laptop, so on long flights, the absence of entertainment will be very noticeable. The top of the slimline seat in front of me felt like it was right in front of my face and the new skinny armrests were very short and uncomfortable. The A-320 used to be my favorite plane on UA, but if this is a sign of things to come, it won't be any longer.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Aija Hughes    (USA)

My flight out from SFO was overbooked by 4 and there were some "hold your breath" moments until 4 people decided to give up their tickets and take an alternate flight. I had a connecting flight in Denver to Lincoln, Nebraska. Fortunately, I had a 3 hour layover in Denver which gave me plenty of time to walk from one end of the airport to the other for a connecting flight and believe me when I say it is a long haul. If anyone has a short time span to get to a connecting flight, I suggest they arrange for a cart. Passenger space on United is cramped. I sat beside a big guy and had to lean well over into the aisle in order for both of us to be able to sit in the side by side seats. My return from Lincoln to SFO was a nightmare. I arrived in Lincoln, got my boarding pass and when I looked at the pass and compared the time on it to the departure time listed on the board, I noticed that departure was at least one hour later - which meant that I would miss my connecting flight in Denver. When I pointed this out to someone in the airport departure gate area, they told me to get on the red phone to see if an alternate connection could be arranged. Once the plane finally arrived and I boarded, there was still a good possibility that I would miss my revised connecting flight in Denver. I got on one of the cars that transport passengers from one gate to another arrived 15 minutes before the connecting flight was scheduled to depart and found that it also had arrived late and was just disembarking. This, of course, delayed the scheduled departure time of that flight. Finally, to my relief, I boarded the flight from Denver to SFO only to sit on tarmac for over an hour due to lightning, thunder and rain. You pay for selecting seats, you pay for luggage, you pay for snacks and for the flight but you are packed into an exceptionally small seating space in which you cannot even fully put your tray down comfortably. Passengers should be treated better even if they fly economy.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by John Kneijber    (Australia)

We flew LGA-DEN-LAX in United First. Were able to use the United Clubs in both La Guardia and Denver as we were continuing on an international flight from LAX on a Star Alliance Carrier. Pleasant check-in agent checked our bags direct through to Brisbane which saved us having to collect luggage in Los Angeles. First leg on A319 with only 8 in the first cabin was fantastic. One of the best FAs we have ever encountered. Food was very good and drinks flowed freely. Only gripe on this sector was lack of in flight entertainment. The aircraft was equipped with Wi-Fi but you had to pay to use it, even in the first class cabin. Not much positive to write about the second leg on B737-900. One food option offered. If you didn't want it, too bad. Not even offered a snack from the buy on board menu. Once service was over the FAs sat in the galley and proceeded to talk extremely loudly for the rest of the flight. You could hear them even with headphones on. This aircraft had free TV options. Overall score is largely based on first leg of this trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Gary Hogate    (USA)

20 June 2014. Was booked on flight KOD72G Denver to Chicago for business. Like all my previous experiences flying on United, not only does the flight board beyond the stated time, we pull out of the gate 40 minutes late only to be told while sitting on the runway that we are going to be held 30 minutes in our position. It's bad enough that the seats are extremely small now we're delayed over 1 hour total which causes issues with our connections. These constant delays and poor service from the airline is unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by D Sin    (USA)

Frequent traveler with United and other airlines. United has declining service, reduced food, reduced beverages at United Club, frequent delays Service is mixed. Seems like constant crisis at the gates. Avoid them. Latest trip was DCA to ORD. Flight was delayed.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Welling    (Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran, and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight), terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is), multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. They were not only dismissive, cold, and patronising towards guests, they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary, I don't understand UA's play. They act like a‘low cost airline. Your people are your business.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

I recently completed 3 trips on United DEN-LGA and EWR-DEN with 5 out of 6 segments in First. Overall the product is decent for domestic first class. Crew on all 6 legs were generally very friendly and chatty with the passengers (all were DEN or SFO based). They worked the whole 4 hour flight and were constantly refilling glasses. Food was a little bland but was served well along with fresh baked cookies. Problem is inconsistency in on-board products with old CO aircraft having in seat TV and UA aircraft with old overhead monitors. Some aircraft's with WI-Fi and some without which makes it difficult to work. Of the 6 flights 3 were right on time with early arrivals and 3 were delayed 45 minutes mainly because of ATC issues in NYC area.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Caitlyn Malcynsky    (USA)

I travel all the time for business and booked on United for cost reasons, I was flying last-minute from LGA to MSP. I was scheduled to depart at 6pm from NY, change planes in Chicago with an hour layover time, and land in Minneapolis by 9.30pm. Departing flight was listed "on time". 5.45 boarding still had not begun - asked the gate attendant when we would be boarding, since I had a connector. He informed me that they were about to delay the flight indefinitely. After advice from customer service that my original flight is unlikely to take off in time for me to make any connection in Chicago, I am rebooked on a flight scheduled to depart an hour later - 7pm. However, this means I will miss my O'Hare connection, so that is also rebooked to a 10pm CDT flight. 7pm flight boards on time. Around the time of boarding, the originally-scheduled 6pm flight also starts the boarding process. Chaos at the 7pm flight's gate as multiple irate businessmen who had changed out of their 6pm first- class seats for a time-saving economy seat on the 7pm scramble to articulate their outrage and get rebooked on the now-departing earlier flight. At 7.10pm the 7pm flight is finally loaded - and completely full. It's sweltering hot and ripe with body odor, and very very dimly lit. 7.20pm: still hot, still smelly, still dark. Flight attendants are trying their best to be accommodating. The plane finally acquires a couple of pilots 45 minutes after scheduled departure. At this point, I am getting nervous that I may miss my re-booked connector as well, in which case I will either have to overnight in Chicago or drive the 6.5 hours to St. Paul. The plane touches down in Chicago only a little bit late despite the delay in take-off. Stopped on the runway in the middle of taxi - stops for at least 20 minutes. Flight attendant makes an attempt to ask passengers to remain seated so those with tight connectors can deplane first. His plea is denied immediately by the scores of tired and angry people who flood the corridor before the plane has even reached the gate. Fighting through 35 rows of people, I manage to deplane with 10 minutes to spare before boarding call for the connection. Arrive, sweaty and out of breath, at the gate just as my phone brings up a text from United: flight is delayed until 10.30 because the plane hasn't arrived. The gate attendant changes the sign to read 10.45 instead. Once 1035 hits, she updates it once more - to 10.51. In short, she assures there is no possible way I will arrive before midnight (CDT). I will never be taking United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Linda Bunting-Blake    (USA)

Our trip from Quito, Ecuador to Lincoln, Nebraska was supposed to take 12 hours, but included a four hour delay in Houston and a 9.5 hour delay in Denver. Weather was not the problem. United should have re-booked us when their mechanical failure and four hour delay was apparent in Houston. Ours was a 26 hour ordeal, with many of those hours standing in line waiting for service and that was completely avoidable. What did they offer? A $7 food voucher.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S McMillan    (USA)

SFO-CDG-SFO. Over the past couple of years, I have had the opportunity to travel internationally on both United and several foreign carriers. United's First Class or Business First Class service and amenities are no better than those in economy on the foreign carriers. Outbound we didn't get drinks prior to take off as the flight attendants were spending way too much time chatting with the other passengers. The meals were satisfactory, though I am getting a bit bored with the ice cream sundae. The inflight entertainment worked well, though it would have been nice to have different choices on the return flight. The only thing United's front cabin had going for it was more comfortable seats than in the back of the plane, however, even that comes with a "but". On the 767, the pods next to the window have very limited room for your feet when in the flat position. The aisle seats do seem to have more room. I travel weekly for work, so I will continue to fly United, but if I were a leisure traveler without frequent flyer status, I would choose another airline. (United treats it leisure passengers very poorly - they board last, often have no bin space, and are generally treated shabbily.) United barely lives up to its three star rating.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Nick Roberts    (Australia)

Flew from Los Angeles to London. All alcoholic drinks are charged. This is a first for me on an international flight that isn't a budget airline. The drinks service took twice as long as normal due to the charging process. Staff were clearly embarrassed by the policy and apologized for it. Will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by E Ramesh    (USA)

I have flown this airline (on the way to Ukraine) twice in the past. This time I flew to Frankfurt, Germany. Each time has been progressively worse. Every flight was delayed, beginning with my flight out of Huntsville, and on each connecting flight. One time they said it was some latch was broken or something to do with the luggage conveyor belt to load the suitcases into the airplane. Another time someone forgot to turn the AC on in the airplane and it was 90 degrees inside (it was a hot day). Each delay was at least an hour. The flight attendants were rude, and quick tempered. They snapped at myself and other passengers I observed on more than one occasion. They seemed to always be in a rush, and as I was sitting in an aisle seat I was rudely bumped into by one of them as they flew by. No apologies were made. Oh, and the service was usually late and the food was of questionable quality as well. In short, it was such a miserable experience it almost made my trip to Germany not worth it. The seats on the 747 were so jam packed together I always felt squashed into the neighboring passenger. Their computers were broken at the airport and so there was another half hour delay, getting through customs was horrible enough on my return trip but dealing with United's mess was just reprehensible.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Maria Gonzalez    (USA)

Sheer incompetence to deal with cancellations. First, they do not communicate them. Secondly, the staff are rude and never apologizes for the inconvenience caused. Thirdly, they are unable to get you onto other flights in a timely manner. How is my experience? I haven't been able to start my trip yet. A 48 hour delay so far. Two trips to the airport. Two hours on the phone. And six hours waiting in line to get a new flight, plus two more to get the luggage that had already been checked in. I am trying to go on a vacation of seven days that has already been reduced to five, after having paid over $3,000. I am a seasoned air traveler, and have had many flights cancelled in my life. But I have never come across such incompetence and rudeness. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by J Young    (UK)

Travelled with United on 6 flights from 23/05/2014-08/06/2014, Heathrow to Las Vegas to Hawaii and back. On the 6 flights we were only fed two meals from Heathrow to Houston and Washington to Heathrow. We queried this with the customer services and were told in Washington that they do supply food on interior (domestic) flights, shame we were not informed of this before we flew with them. We changed our flight from Newark, New York when we arrived at Heathrow at the start of our holiday because they asked us if we would, obviously New York was overbooked which resulted in us missing our connection to Las Vegas. They were unhelpful at Houston and put us on Standby. We thought the cabin crew were scruffy, unhelpful and lazy. I asked for a small bottle of water to be told that they did not have enough so could not give me one. They did serve enough drinks on the flights so what were they doing. I will never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Cleeren Patrice    (Belgium)

We flew from IAD to BRU with United. (Boeing 777). Very nice cabin crew, normal catering, good flight. Flight was delayed but we got good information from the flight deck.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by A Reynolds    (UK)

We took a business class flight from London Heathrow to Houston Bush, round trip. On the flight to Houston, the video screen at my seat, my wife's seat and several other seats did not work at all. The flight crew tried to fix it but couldn't. They promised to have someone contact us for some credit. Never heard from them. On the return flight, the seat would not recline, the movies continuously skipped, there was no music available, and the food was awful. Flight crew tried to fix it. No luck. Flying BA from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Doldon Mark    (Canada)

Very poor quality service. Lack of in seat entertainment on 5 hour flights, even in Business class, is simply unacceptable in this day and age. I was also refused access to a lounge, on an international business class seat, because my son, in a wheelchair, was flying economy on a school trip. Basic customer service would have seen the airline allow us to enter the lounge.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Latimer    (USA)

Why is it that United is the only airline that cancelled a flight from Denver to Omaha due to weather but all the other airlines going to and from Denver only delayed? Of course, because we are having poor weather they can blame it on the weather which means as a customer we cannot recoup anything from them and we have to then wait until a pm flight when we are scheduled on the first flight out of OMA. I wonder how many times this airplane has been cancelled in the last couple of weeks, it sounds as if this airlines has an issue with mechanical problems and only wants to bandaid the problem. I am all for a company making money but not at the expense of the customers who are paying their bills!

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Firman Hadi    (Indonesia)

Flying EWR-NRT with Flight UA 79. Boeing 777. Punishing 14-hr flight in cramped seating condition. Everything about this plane is run down, from seating to carpeting. Food is terrible and served in plastic tray covered with ripped aluminium foils. Breads are served out of bundles of plastic bags instead of bread baskets. What are we in jail? Ridiculous!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by W Shandera    (USA)

IAH-PTY and reverse. Pleasant staff, decent food, plane rather small for business class, no musical options in entertainment system.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Robert Redfern    (USA)

We flew from SFO to FRA and returned from OSL to SFO on UA. The service for these international flights was good, the cabin staff helpful and professional, and the flights on time. The seats in cheap economy were extremely cramped and offer little hope of rest. The flight over had a large contingent of passengers from the Indian subcontinent who did not take the hint to settle down and rest when the crew turned down the lights, and yakked the night away, oblivious to requests to quiet down. Not UA's fault, but they could have been a bit more pro- active to settle these people back into their seats for the long flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by J McCormick    (Taiwan)

TPE-SFO-TPE. Economy Plus. B-777 aircraft. United has become a very average airline. Economy"plus" seats are really not much better than normal economy, especially if you can get regular economy seats near exits or bulkheads. Food was mediocre. Flight attendants were considerably older than other airlines and seemed to be worn out, as evidenced by their indifferent and even sarcastic attitudes. Compare them to All Nippon, for example, where the attendants are super friendly and bend over backwards for passengers. The return leg was late out of SFO by about 90 minutes. The one saving grace for this United flight was the price which was significantly lower than other TPE-SFO non stops. So I guess you get what you pay for. Recommended for price, but if you can afford it, any of the Asian airlines offer better service.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by L Veal    (USA)

I recently flew in the first class section of a United Airlines 757 from Orlando to Dulles (about a 2 hour flight). The only things to like is that I arrived promptly on schedule, and my seat was larger than a coach seat. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to fly first class on United domestically. I asked for a blanket, and was told after some time that "the supervisor said we don't stock blankets on flights from Florida". Then, less than 1 minute later, a different flight attendant brought a large clear plastic bag full of blankets onto the plane and put them into a closet in first class! I'd just left Disney World and the contrast of the Disney quality of service versus United's was stark. I began to wonder if the safety and evacuation training for United employees is better than their customer service training, otherwise you better hope you never need them!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by John Tegel    (Canada)

YYC-IAH-MUC in Y. As an Aeroplan Elite, I got premier access check in and boarding which was greatly appreciated. I also like that United seems to be making an effort to control oversized carry-ons. As a result, both flights, even the full flight to Munich, left with all bags in the cabin. Planes were comfortable and clean (A320 and 764), with adequate room for my 5'8" self. Crews were generally fantastic, a real surprise given United's reputation. I like United's boarding structure, as it prevents a mad dash to board and worked very well, making boarding easy and comfortable. Only gripe is food on 10 hour IAH-MUC flight- small dinner and then before landing, a mini croissant and small fruit cup- This is what I usually get on YYZ-MUC, but that is a 7 hour flight. I expected more on this longer route, and can imagine that some larger passengers were quite hungry! Connection in IAH was also very easy, no security screening required, no bus or train either, even though I had to change terminals. Very impressed!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Annette Nyst    (Australia)

What a shame a wonderful Airline like Air New Zealand code shares with United Airlines. After a wonderful flight with Air New Zealand from Australia we then flew business with United within the United States. The 6 hour flight between New York and Los Angeles was a nightmare. From the small old plane to the noise from where the stewards were working( they couldn't help the noise as the work area is so small). Not to mention the very small unclean toilet. None of United earphones seem to work (I now know why most people on the flight had their own). The whole flight was a nightmare. I will never fly United again or recommend them.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by G Howell    (USA)

Our connection in San Francisco got cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. This was in the very early morning so there were no additional flights available for 5+ hours. After some research of the flight number that got cancelled, this flight had been cancelled 2 additional times in the previous 3 weeks. That's one cancellation per week for this one aircraft. After we made it from San Francisco to LA for our re-route, the LA flight was delayed an hour due to late aircraft arrival. Once we boarded, we waited on the plane for 1 hour after everyone was boarded and settled in. Pilot originally said it was due to weather and admitted it was due to "paper-work" before takeoff. Unbelievable. We landed 8 hours after the original time we were told. United uses primarily outdated planes with no on-demand in-flight entertainment. When they do offer their on-demand entertainment like Live DirecTV, it costs money. Long flights (7+) could offer good personal TVs but that is rare. Wifi is unheard of, my flight months ago was promised wifi but once boarded they claimed the original plane had to be switched so no wifi. Customer service is atrocious also. We were offered $7 each for food at the airport we had to wait at, but that's it. I know a friend who had two flights cancelled in the same night due to airline problems. As a MileagePlus cardholder, much more is expected. When we tried to get upgraded on our re-routed flights, the guy said "Oh, this is a mileage flight". This is the worst American airline aside from Spirit Airlines. Fly JetBlue or Virgin America if possible.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by A Hanafi    (Canada)

I'm satisfied with my first couple of flights with United, May-June 2014. I flew transatlantic, EWR-Zurich and LHR T2-EWR, I tried outbound on a premium plus seat for 125$ add on, pretty comfortable. I'm only disappointed because I did not receive my special meal as requested, the air hostess asked me to confirm with United's customer service centre next time. Otherwise arrived on time, clean, comfortable although too cold cabin. Good entertainment. I'm giving United also a good satisfaction rate because of 100% mileage earned on my loyalty program of another Star Alliance member.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by M Ferguson    (UK)

I was surprised at such a pleasant experience. We flew two US internal flights. The first was on time, the second twenty mins late due to a minor technical fault. We were impressed with the monitors in the gate area showing available seating on the aircraft and probable departure time. We had no problem with carry on baggage. On the first flight people who had not checked in bigger bags were given labels, and picked up their bags when they got off the plane. Plane was clean, staff friendly, coffee OK, and the seat comfort was OK. No complaints - and I have to say I have suffered a lot worse.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by D Finden    (USA)

AMS-ORD, 11 Jul. I had a most wonderful flight on United from Amsterdam to Chicago. The flight attendants were warm and made the experience one to remember. The flight departed and arrived on time. The new business class seats are great, though I did not try the lie-flat option. I was in the pair next to the galley - fair warning, the freezer compartment is next to the aisle seat and does make noise - need to wear your headphones. Food was great - had Thai chicken for main. However, to repeat, it was the flight attendants that made this flight one of the best I have experienced.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by T Halsey    (USA)

This has been the worst travel experience I have had. My original flight was cancelled, I was not informed of this until I arrived at the airport. This should be standard protocol to notify passengers that the flight is cancelled. On top of that the customer service is atrocious. As I was reasonably upset and asking customer service to find me another flight she tells me that the next flight to my destination is boarding now, but you cannot get on it. They put me on a connecting flight to Chicago, 4 hours later. 4 hours later all Chicago flights were delayed another 2 hours. Meanwhile flights are boarding all around me. I strongly advise you to stay as far away as possible from United.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by W Joseph    (USA)

Leaving Newark yesterday, the gate agent announced that "all overhead bin room was full" as boarding group 4 (out of 5) was beginning to board. They forced gate check of all carry-on bags for all the remaining passengers. On boarding, there were tons of open overhead bins with room remaining, including one right at my seat! Many people complained - the kind cabin steward explained that "sometimes they just start gate checking toward the end because the bins are usually full at that point". My bag was taken right outside the airplane door - the agent could have actually asked the first class cabin steward ten feet away, if their walkie-talkies don't work. They added 30 minutes delay at the destination waiting for luggage unnecessarily for all those people? Why are advertising that we are allowed "one carry-on bag and one personal item", and flying planes that do not have enough space for them? On my last United flight, they made me check my carry-on bag because it didn't easily slide into their sizer, though it would have with a push, and would easily fit overhead. United has adopted a new policy and attitude about baggage that is Draconian - they should be ashamed. I will not fly United even though they have the only non-stop flights to my most frequent destination.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by James Wallace    (USA)

Quebec City to Newark on a regional jet. When I checked in at the airport, I was told the flight was delayed 2.5 hours due to Newark traffic problems. There is no Star Alliance lounge at the airport. Listening to podcasts on my computer, I heard a boarding call after only a one hour delay. After boarding the plane, the captain said he was expected a smooth flight. The fasten seatbelt sign was never turned off during the smooth flight which makes one wonder if they ever turn off the fasten seatbelt sign on this flight. Customs and Immigration were done in Newark, unlike other Canadian airports.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Charles Kennedy    (UK)

TXL-EWR-LAX in Y. Had wanted to take the 757 flight from Berlin to Newark since the route was opened up by Continental. Since the merger between the two airlines is far from complete, I knew the crew would all be Continental and knowing how poorly the new United is perceived not just by customers but staff too, the old- fashioned Continental Airlines flight bag I hauled out of the back of my closet scored me a glass of champagne as I passed through the forward galley en route to my economy seat. Left on time, catering was decent (one area the new United hasn't yet cut to the bone) although movie choices were limited to new releases, so I read my book and did some work. Immigration at Newark was relatively painless due to the early scheduled arrival time of 1200, beating the afternoon rush. Short visit to the United Club which is comfortable although the snack options are awful. For the second leg to Los Angeles found myself back at the gate I'd arrived at. Some infrequent fliers consider narrowbody hardware unsuitable for long haul as it is “cramped” or “claustrophic, take it from someone who flew on the same 757 all the way from Berlin to LA, the size of the seat is the same as the biggest planes (except 10-abreast 777s, where it is considerably narrower) and the smaller numbers at boarding, baggage claim and immigration mean small is beautiful. The second leg to California was quite decent, enjoyed a chicken-and-blue- cheese wrap for sale and the view of the North American continent unfolding beneath our wing. Arrival into LAX was on-time and baggage delivery was prompt. No complaints – this time.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by M Ferguson    (UK)

I read the reviews of this airline and was terrified. However, we flew San Antonio to Dulles and Dulles to Boston and we were impressed. OK so the leg room is not fantastic, but its better than many. The plane was reasonably clean, the staff friendly, and the coffee drinkable. Furthermore the flight to Dulles was on time. The Boston one left about 20 mins late due to an error light re the toilet showing in the cockpit, but again the plane was clean and the staff friendly and efficient. No complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Raymond Miller    (USA)

My family and I flew United to Mexico for a wedding. We were scheduled to return to the United States on Monday 5/9/2014. Our scheduled flight was delayed 3.5 hours due to weather in Texas. This was understandable. The rest of this journey was not. In Mexico we were switched from our connecting flight due to the scheduled departure time. The flight we were switched to departed prior to our arrival at the Houston Airport. My family, along with several others in our same situation then attempted to obtain another flight. The United personnel at the Houston Airport were very rude and not at all helpful. We spent over 16 hours in the airport with no blankets, pillows or cots. I will never again fly United. The delays were one thing, but the attitude of the employees was completely unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

F class, KOA-LAX. A warm crew was the bright spot in an extremely inferior product. Small tray with all courses at the same time followed by a cookie in a paper bag. For a 5 hour flight this is ridiculous. Hawaii routes are served with the oldest run down aircraft. Leg room is adequate but entertainment option is pathetic. For first class Hawaiian is the only way to go. United is just sad.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Steve Rabin    (USA)

UA1284, EWR-SFO, 14 May 2014. No IFE or WiFi on a transcon? That's what I found when flying on brand new 737-900.  I've flown UA's older -900s and they have DirecTV-okay, you have to pay for it, but it's still better than nothing. The flight itself was pleasant, the new seats reasonably comfortable. One thing I've always liked about UA is that at least one flight attendant comes out every 30 minutes or so and has cups of water or the beverage cart coming around. But no entertainment? I could have flown Southwest, they don't claim to have IFE on their flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by S Wahl    (USA)

The relatively short commute between Durango, CO and Cleveland, OH was the worst trip I have experienced. I have never had any trip, since the inception of Denver International Airport, that has gone without an aircraft maintenance problem. This recent trip held me hostage on a small aircraft and at the airport for 8 hours. I have never seen such an appalling record of mechanical breakdowns as I've seen with aircraft at Denver's airport. Both the departure and return trips were plagued with mechanical problems. The return trip was on board an aircraft meant for short duration flights of less than 1 hour, and was used for a trip spanning over 3 hours. When we were supposed to circle the airport for a short period of time, we had to divert to Cheyenne, WY to refuel. The plane was too small to carry the necessary amount of fuel. As a result, I missed my connection and waited 7 hours before taking off to my final destination. On the outbound trip, we had to return to DIA due to a mechanical failure of an engine. We had already flown 45 minutes, and instead of landing in an airport we were close to, we had to fly back 45 minutes, wait for another plane, and take off in the middle of the night. We landed at 12.45 am. I have flown from different cities (Manhattan, KS and Albuquerque, NM) to Alaska three times, and not once did I experience any problems with aircraft. The main difference was that none of these trips included United Airlines and Denver International Airport.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Pipitone Nicolo    (Italy)

Washington Dulles to San Diego Intl Airport. Flight UA1512. October 25th 2013. The worst experience I have had with ground staff - unhelpful, difficult to reach. Flight OK but I would not recommend this airline to anyone and I certainly will not fly UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by D Prentice    (UK)

LHR-IAH-CUN-IAH-LHR. Flew United Airlines, they upgraded me to Economy Plus for free due to my disability. I enjoyed my flight. Staff really helpful. Food was alright.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Hammer    (USA)

First flight was cancelled, never got any notification that our flight was rescheduled for the following day. Got to the airport they representatives re re-routing the flights were not nice at all. I couldn't believe that there was no discount or free bag check offered. I will never fly united again, worst customer service. We were suppose to be in Vegas by 3pm that day. We did not arrive until 3am the next day.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Khawla Amin    (Qatar)

This was my first and hopefully last time on a US airline. The short 45 minute flight from Dubai to Doha was an ordeal. Draconian security for this flight only, terrible old plane, unkempt rude flight staff, a 2 hour delay with no apologies. Some Americans might rate United Airlines highly maybe because they are used to the generally low quality of most if not all airlines in the United States, but for someone used to the superior services of Qatar, Emirates, Etihad etc, this proved to be a really bad experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

ORD-DCA, and BWI-ORD. Overall the experience was very good. All flights departed and arrived on time, and all employees were friendly. The trip was through a tour, so the price or value cannot be determined. Security on Monday at O'Hare was very crowded, so be sure to allot enough time. Boarding was organized, and most bags were checked at the gate because the overhead bins would have been to crowded. The seats on board were very comfortable, and recline was decent. The plane was an A319 that has not been reconfigured with the slimline seating. Crew was very nice and efficient, and Inwas given an entire can of apple juice. We arrived at National Airport on time, and the bags were very fast to come off of the carousel. The airport is very convenient to access downtown DC. Return was at BWI, which is only 20 miles outside DC, however traffic was a nightmare and it took almost an hour to get there. Gate agents at the airport were very friendly and efficient. Security is very smooth here, and the airport is overall pleasant. Boarding was quick, and the flight was operated by a 737-900ER. The seats were comfortable, and no one bought the direct TV. Recline wasn't much which made sleeping difficult, but I was not in economy plus. The crew on board were nice, but not as good as others. The flight arrived on time, and bags were quick to come out of the carousel. United seems like they are beginning to overcome merger issues now.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

April 26, FLL-CLE. My friend flew with miles, and I flew for $400. Not bad considering that it was booked 3 weeks in advance, and during a popular travel time. Check in crew and gate agents at FLL are outstanding. So friendly and willing to help out. The check in crew were smiling and friendly, and helped out with checked bag issue. The gate agent was the best I've seen. She was so helpful to the passengers in wheelchairs, and kept everyone fully informed. The crew onboard were friendly, and very attentive. Always asking customers if everything was ok, and picked up trash frequently. Somehow the flight departed 40 minutes late, due to there being only one operational runway in FLL. We didn't hear the captain inform us about it, or speak once during the flight. The flight was completely full. The flight was on a A320 with the new slimline seats. The legroom was adequate for my height of 5' 10" however the seat was very hard, and didn't recline very far. I purchased the wifi, and for $5 was a great deal. No music or overhead screens on this plane. Connection through Cleveland was very easy, and the airport was very easy to connect through. Flight from CLE to ORD was 60% full and had another great crew. They were very enthusiastic. The flight was operated by a 737-700 with very comfortable seats. Not one person on board purchased the over priced direct TV. Flight arrived on time, bags quickly arrived at carousel. Overall, United was decent. A bit overpriced, but was on time with friendly service.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Findlay    (UK)

LHR-EWR and back. You do get what you pay for with this airline, but they really should do something to improve on the overall quality of their planes and service. The 757s look extremely dated now - once white plastic fascias now looking grey/brown. Curtain divider between Economy and Business a tatty net curtain that doesn't cover the width of the doorway. On both flights the toilet illumination signs were flickering constantly and added to the air of shabbyness. The only long haul airline I have flown in the last 5 years where in Economy, you do not get any inflight entertainment system. All you get is films on a loop. I had to wait 20mins for the loop to start again. Flew LHR-SFO last October and on the EWR-LHR route this time, the same film selection was playing as in October. Particularly galling as I paid a cheaper price for a trip to Thailand on Thai Airways last year and the IFE was excellent. Staff whilst pleasant are genuinely uninterested, took 10 mins to answer my call to ask them to get my bag out of the overhead locker as the passengers either side of me were asleep. You have to pay for the alcoholic beverages - $7 for a 125ml bottle of red wine is an unbelievable rip off. The seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have sat in with the exception of Ryanair, where you expect an uncomfortable ride. On the plus side, there is an extremely good availability of economy plus seats and the legroom really is superb in these seats, but this does not make up for the overall comfort of the seat. The price to upgrade to Economy plus is the same as paying for an extra legroom seat on Virgin Atlantic and is less than half as good.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by John Leitch    (UK)

Newark to London Heathrow, 4 June. Found them ok in all areas. Plane very clean, drinks brought around regularly. Seat comfortable with plenty of legroom.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Brian Levy    (Ireland)

Horrible experience. I made the mistake of booking United for the short 40 minute trip from Doha to Dubai (United has a daily Washington DC-Doha-Dubai flight). Security at Doha airport for this particular flight was exhausting with United staff fingerprinting passengers, taking off shoes, etc as if we were going to the US instead of just Dubai. The plane was a tired creaky old B-777. Flight attendants whose average age was nearly 60 were grumpy and rude. Only a stale bagel was served. Definitely one of the worst flight experiences I had ever to endure.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by L Southworth    (USA)

BOS and MCI and again from BOS to YYT. Overall, a below average - average airline. Gate staff and flight attendants can be surly, but occasionally a helpful and attentive one can be found. I generally will not fly United unless they are significantly cheaper or have markedly better connections/flight times than everyone else.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Barbara Webb    (USA)

LAX to Quebec City, Canada. May 22 and 28, 2014: What a nightmare full of delays and lack of updated information, so I, a 77 year old grandmother, had to run from one end of an airport to the other to catch a plane, sat in airports for many wasted, precious travel hours. The movies on board were horrible choices. I hope to never need to fly United again in my life. And I have done a LOT of traveling.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Commander Anna    (UK)

We travelled to NY, 28/5/14 with United Airlines and from the minute we went to check in desk we where treated with courtesy. The staff were both friendly and helpful. Once on the plane we again had the same experience. The food was ok and served hot. The choice of films etc was great and to have the chance to charge your devices was very handy. On our return we were due to fly with a different airline but we missed our flights. The other airline couldn't care less and said we would need to pay $1300 each to get home. We decided to go over to the United desk to see if they could offer any help. They went above and beyond to help us get on another flight with a different company for no charge.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by John A Cunningham    (USA)

May 21, Denver to Los Angeles: The A320 was having mechanical problems which delayed departure by over an hour. Meantime a violent thunderstorm/tornado warning further delayed departure until we were 2.5 hours late leaving. Needless to say our connection to Hilo HI was way gone before we arrived. We were bumped from one customer service desk to another. The line at Gate 71 never moved for an hour. Children were tired and screaming while the customer service reps mumbled useless statements, waited for phone returns and after an hour declared we had no hotel or meal compensation because DIA coded the departure as late due to "weather". If the plane had been ready at departure time there would have been no delay. The rude and helpless reception at Los Angeles resulted in several of us sleeping in the airport all night, missing a full day of reserved vacation time, a change in destination from Hilo to Kona, a change in car rental arrangements and a long drive around the island instead of 30 miles as originally planned. The scene at the customer service desk was hellish and I was prepared to see any one of the passengers leap across the counter at the inept and uncaring, mumbling representatives. I will never travel on United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Altman Nathaniel    (USA)

June 3, EWR-SFO, Economy, on a new 737-900. We departed two hours late due to a storm and flight crew distributed water and was generally helpful and good humored. These planes offer standard economy seating, not as comfortable as other planes United flies. Bathrooms are extremely tiny and cramped. As opposed to a wide variety of seatback entertainment on UA's 757s from JFK to California, this new 737-900 offer no entertainment options at all, a major disappointment on such a long flight. These planes may be perfect for a 1-2 hour trip, but not for a transcontinental journey.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by M Studzinski    (Poland)

London LHR - Newark EWR. Boeing 757-200, quite old and it was visible everywhere as cabin looked shabby. Cabin crew ok, but limited their service to distributing food, collecting trays and that's it. Small portions, paid alcoholic drinks, torn inflight magazine. Nothing special, there are much better options on this route.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Wong Tai Wei    (Russia)

We flew UA893 SFO to ICN on B747 on 29th May 2014. Flight was delayed 2 times - captain rejected the first plane due to technical issue, and the replaced plane returned to gate after found technical glitch while taxiing. Overall, almost 5 hours delay. The captain tried his best to kept us updated on the delays. Instruction of allowing passengers to leave the plane during the delay was not clear, resulted in passenger wandering around the bridge area. Cabin crew changed after the 2nd delay, which turned out to be a plus point to us. Original crew serving the upper deck was grumpy, the replacement crew (original crew gone probably due to extended hour) was fantastic, provided one of the better quality service to a almost fully filled business class cabin. The plane was old, and there was sign of dirt especially around the edges of the window frame. Seat itself was comfortable. It is weird to see UA cramping 2-4-2 seat in business class. Food was delicious. Inflight entertainment was average. For the price paid, UA has exceeded our expectation.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by MacMillan David    (UK)

ORD to LHR in a fully refurbished 767-300ER. Efficient and helpful check in. Nice lounge, was very busy but had nice atmosphere and nice bar tenders. Boarding efficient. Very good seating notwithstanding 6 abreast and good cabin ambience. Some pairs of seats are backwards facing but not a big issue. Professional and helpful crew who were well organised, attentive and efficient - a real surprise. Very good choice of wines and OK food but nice desert and very good cheese plate. Seat in sleeping position was good and nice large pillow. Big screen, noise reduction earphones and OK programming with mostly American content. Many language options. Luggage return quick. Overall very impressed and would consider better than transatlantic AC and LH flights taken in previous 3 weeks.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Todd Townsend    (USA)

Six hour delay from San Antonio to Houston. I could have driven there and back. The flight crew and gate staff were so rude! No recompense whatsoever. Not even an apology to the over two hundred passengers. My first time to fly with United and my last.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by M Goodfriend    (USA)

1st class, UA 926, LHR-EWR in 3 cabin 767. Check in with Biz class pax, long line. Indifferent contract staff were clueless regarding arrival facilities at EWR. Ditto for gate agents. Flight attendant told me to check with transfer desk at EWR after clearing customs. Transfer agent told me that there were no arrival facilities unless continuing on with UA. Huh, at a UA hub for 1st class? I noticed that meal served in 1st was the same as in Biz, albeit with better china. Altogether, a thoroughly mediocre experience for a huge premium price. There are many better ways to cross the pond - especially those of us needing to freshen up for post arrival meetings.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by L Snelleman    (Netherlands)

ORD-AMS on a clapped out Boeing 767 which showed its age. The worst experience on this flight were the cabin crew. The most unfriendly, lazy, rude and uninterested crew I have ever flown with. Shouting at passengers to close the overhead lockers, refusing to close these themselves. This is one of their safety duties! The service was slow, no peanuts/snacks with the drinks. Dinner was awful, cold by the time I was served and totally inadequate for a 7 hr flight. Beer/wine are for sale only and when I asked for a soft drink they offered water only! A second request for a soft drink was rudely refused. Inflight entertainment was terrible, small screens and all channels started without any announcement so by the time you wanted to watch anything, films were already running for 30 mins. I am a Star alliance Gold member and have flown more than most people but this flight was by far the worst I have ever experienced. No more United for me!

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Bettie Descartes    (USA)

I booked a 5 day weekend from Thursday to Tuesday. My flight was cancelled while I was on my way to the Airport. I had to pay for a taxi to and from the airport and return the next day at 4am for a 6am flight. My original flight was a 2 hour direct flight from Newark to Atlanta but the rescheduled flight had a layover in Chicago. I arrived in Atlanta at 12pm. I could have leave with that but I could not believe that my return flight was cancelled and this time, without a notice. I only found out because I couldn't print my boarding pass. I was rescheduled on a flight to LaGuardia and because the agent did not completed the booking, I missed the flight and had to be put on another flight 3 hours later. I got to the airport at 5.45pm and did not take off until 10.53pm for a 2 hour flight. I am still waiting for an explanation for cancelling both flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by L Pulliam    (USA)

Louisville - Houston - Denver - Reno. All flights on time. Plenty of drink runs on all flights. Snack boxes for purchase but I did not try any. All the staff were friendly except for a grumpy check-in clerk at Louisville. My check-in bag was 54.5 lbs so was asked to remove an item. I pulled out one slipper and that dropped the weight down to 54 lbs and that was acceptable according to the clerk. I asked her if she was serious and she said yes. So I put one slipper in my carry on and went on my way. Flew on an EMB175 from Louisville to Houston which was way to small of a plane for that distance, but I pretty much slept the whole flight. Then was on a 787 Dreamliner from Houston to Denver. Thought that was kind of a big plane for that flight, but what a brilliant aircraft. New, quiet and very comfortable. The plane was heading to Tokyo from Denver hence the need for the large craft. Then an A320 on to Reno. Everything went like clockwork so no complaints and my luggage arrived safely minus the slipper I had to take out in Louisville.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Sophia Dong    (Canada)

May 17th from Toronto to Cancun with a connection in Houston. The plane had a mechanical problem half way to Houston and had to land in Memphis. More than 100 people were asked to stay at Memphis airport and wait for another plane to come. We waited for 7 hours from 1.30 to 8.30. The airport staff first said that the plane would come at 7.30 and later announced that it would be one hour late. All stores in Memphis airport closed around 6.30 and we were all starving. United did at least bring some food for us in this situation. We missed our connecting flight and had to call our hotel and pick-up shuttle to explain the situation. We eventually arrived at Houston around 11pm. There were only 2 people at Houston to help the customers arrange hotels and airport shuttles, and they worked extremely inefficiently since they didn't seem to know what to do. In the end it took them 3 hours to get everyone arranged. Up to this point I am totally disappointed with United Airline. I'd rather pay a little more to get a better service. This is my first time flying with United and shall be the last.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Tina Smith    (USA)

Long story short, they kept finding reasons to delay and cancel my flights and those of the people around me. It was chaos and passengers all around were complaining of their own horror stories with United. I spent the night in a Chicago airport (admittedly a large part of my nightmare was O'Hare airport) and no one who worked there for United seemed to care that I needed a flight out because they were so overwhelmed with the number of flights that were canceled and people that needed to be rebooked. They didn't give me a hotel room because the problem was due to "weather," but that was simply not true. They told us on the plane that we boarded that we needed to go back to the airport because the crew had overworked their permitted number of hours and they had no other crew to replace them with. I told them I would literally take any flight that would get me out of that city and the flight I did get was canceled within a few hours of booking it. I went back to customer service and I felt like I was a bother to them for simply needing a way out of there to avoid sleeping on their floors again. It was like it was normal for them to have upset customers, and the people like me who didn't give them a hard time were more likely to messed about.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Ivan Dzhur    (USA)

IAH to YYC on Boeing 737-800. Smooth check-in. Organized boarding. Clean aircraft, decent seat and legroom. Pro-active crew and multiple offerings of beverages. Bags on baggage belt by the time I arrived there.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Rane Ravindra    (USA)

BOS-IAH. I was traveling with my family for holiday from BOS-LAX via IAH. My son is severely allergic to nuts and we always carry Epipen with us. We informed United customer service agent in advance about the allergy, they made a note in system and advised us to inform the crew on board. When we informed about the allergy to crew on board flight 488, they told us they can't make announcement about nut allergy due to change in policy and could not able to help us. Finally some of the passengers around us helped to request everyone about the allergy. The second leg of Journey (Flight 1121) crew told us they will make a courtesy announcement. After take off they did announce in so low volume that no one really could hear anything. More than 3 million people in the United States report being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts or both. I would like to warn those people in advance about the United Nut Policy.