United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Alan Evans    (Canada)

Just arrived at my hotel after a horrendous 24-hour trip from Montreal to Honolulu. The missed connection and re- routing through LAX was bad enough but I guess winter weather is a reality. What is not acceptable is this new DirecTV-United deal for in-flight "entertainment". Now, in addition to having to pay extra for a poor sandwich wrap, they've got the gall to make you cough up extra to watch a movie. I object to paying for what is standard on other airlines. They take your money, $1000-2000 and then expect you to pay for a movie - or even a flight map. Of course, they'll say it's only $6-8 for DirecTV and provides access to many TV channels as well.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Richard Birnbaum    (USA)

EWR-ZRH onboard 767-400. Rolled away from gate right on time, landed in Zurich one hour early. 2-1-2 business class configuration great if traveling alone. Had center single seat which was comfortable and private. Classic movies on IFE was wonderful. Food was decent. Service was efficient but indifferent. Definitely no smiles.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by M Bergner    (USA)

My wife and 22 month old son are about to board a 14 hour flight. United is only offering one meal service over that 14 hour period, and they won't give any food to my son, because he's on his mothers lap and doesn't have his own individual ticket. Some milk, maybe some yoghurt, a ham sandwich costs them, what, maybe $2? It's apparent that that extra $2 is worth more than the comfort of their lowly economy customers. Flying isn't what it used to be.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by P Kim    (USA)

Terrible service unless you are some sort of elite status traveler. This airline wouldn't let me pick my seats during on-line check in. Assigned me and my 9 year old son Exit row seats because the flight was completely oversold. When I advised gate attendant that a 9 year old would be in the exit row, they stated that I "shouldn't have agreed to the terms and conditions of those seats". Told to leave my boarding passes and they would fix it. After 40 minutes, everyone else gets on plane, I go up to find out what's going on and I'm then given back my original boarding passes and told to get on the plane and they would fix it there. Onboard, told to see the 2nd attendant. The 2nd attendant tells me I can't sit in the exit row with a child. An attendant moved 2 people out of their seats into the exit row and then snidely says to me "See. that wasn't so bad, was it?". I've taken 4 United round trips in the last 5 years and pretty much determined that this kind of attitude is common.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by D Finden    (USA)

LHR-ORD on 25 Feb. Flight departed on time and arrived 40 min early. 2 of 3 FA's good with prompt service. Third was trying, but seemed befuddled at multi-tasking, thus often a step or two behind. Nice touch that rather than leave the mid flight option at the galley, they did a more formalized service. Food on primary meal was so-so, for example my tilapia and shrimp had no tilapia. The per-arrival burrito was actually quite good. Seats were comfortable, though a bit narrow and limited space to neighbor.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by H Lee    (USA)

EWR (NJ) direct to POS (Trinidad). The United Club was unfortunate and so was the outdated 737-800 (UA1505) that took us to our Christmas vacation. Save your money folks, and fly coach. This class of service is not worth the extra cost. I would say the worst part about flying United is the unenthusiastic and unhelpful service. No big surprise to anyone who flies United regularly. I also bought the Premier Accelerator and Reward Accelerator erroneously, thinking that I would maintain my Status Match level with this flight. The "fine print" here, is that the Accelerator is not permitted in achieving status if you're doing a Match, but their web site will continually advertise it to you, like it is. You will also be allowed to buy this product which I now have deep regret doing.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by J Anderson    (UK)

Our last series of flights (from the UK to the USA, and also within the USA) were quite simply the worst travel experience we have had in over 30 years of being regular international and national travellers. Staff in the business class lounge were unhelpful, badly informed and unfriendly. Flight was delayed and we were initially held sitting on board for several hours. Then had to de-board, and a few hours later the flight was cancelled. We had to exit through the baggage hall. Despite having a lot of baggage and having already been assured we could leave our checked baggage with United staff, one member of staff told us "we won't look after this, anybody can take it and it's not our responsibility and then decided to insist we take our bags out immediately. The hotel United put us in was dreadful. Put on a fight the following day. We used air miles to upgrade to business class: United's configuration of the new, extra-slim business class seats is awful. 2x4x2. Paying business class and being stuck in the middle with no dividers between two people you don't know? Hardly classy treatment! Seats are so thin that anyone with broad shoulders will be very uncomfortable. One of the internal flights in the USA was so cold that everyone sat shivering in their overcoats. At every airport in the USA staff were at best ungracious and unfriendly. Everything was too much trouble for them. United has also downgraded its Silver status so that now you only get one free bag, not two. It is very sad to see the appalling way that United Airlines' service has plummeted.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Sheikh Hassan    (Canada)

FLL to EWR to SFO. UA1024 for the EWR leg firstly the pilot taxied too close to the corner and got stuck in snow. Solved that with a pull out and then the fun started. Pilot came on and said we are rerouted and he doesn't have enough fuel but that he is protesting with the tower. Over an hour later we are at a gate being fuelled. The gate agent refused to assist me in finding another route home since 2 hours had passed and I was certain I'd missed my connection in SFO. No hotel because they said the delay was due to weather not incompetence. The new customer focus they speak of is a facade. Flight was Feb 21. SFO has comfortable chairs but not to sleep on.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by A Paris    (USA)

I'm currently sitting at the gate for my United flight at LAX. A gentleman came out of the gate off of a flight, obviously in a hurry and quickly asked where the connecting flight for Newark was. The staff here looked at him like it was the most inconvenient question in the world. They closed the doors for the tarmac before all passengers were inside which left them outside knocking on the door. Not one member of the staff let them in, so an airline customer opened the door which set off an alarm. Again the staff did nothing and let the alarm go off for minutes. Definitely not impressed, not to mention every time the gal came over the loud speaker she sounded like se had no clue what was going on. She kept getting flights confused and putting out wrong information. I will make sure I don't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Lowie Starr    (USA)

2 flights Feb 14 and Feb 17, LAX-SFO, both last about 1 hour. Check in was a breeze though, the process within LAX domestic wing can be a bit testy. Full flight on both ways with only drinks service given on economy. No entertainment system just some random loop of Olympic commercial. Flight attendants are organized and accommodating. Storage was a bit tricky and always a pain since all pax are not checking luggage so it gets full, leg room is quite cramped even though I'm only 5'8''. Landing was good and was out the airport within 10 minutes. first leg was delayed 1 hour due to late turn around of the plane, pilots were very informative throughout. Flights used ancient 737 and 757 on this leg so it can get stuffy. It wasn't bad but wasn't spectacular either, just something that will get you from point a to b without much fuss.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by J Barnett    (USA)

0 for 3! United Airlines failed to depart all of my flights this week on time by greater than an hour. Two of which were in excess of 2 hours. This resulted in my decision to cancel my last leg (which I was going to miss anyway) with them and drive 5 hours in the middle of the night to get to my destination. I didn't want to take the risk of staying overnight and not getting home. Apparently they don't have any concern for their customers and their timelines. Probably won't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by P Williams    (Canada)

PSP-Houston-Washington-Ottawa. Arrived 1 hour and 45 mins prior to departure. In PSP they had 3 flights (Denver, San Fran and Houston) all leaving within 30 mins. They had 3 attendants, each flight left without people who were left in line because of the counter delays. Staff were less than helpful. No organization, no communication. We got to the gate with 5 mins to spare. On the Houston - Washington segment, they arrived with time left on the inflight movie - so no one saw the ending. I will not use United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by N Hieu    (USA)

Really simple flight from Los Angeles, CA to Newark, NJ at 11.30pm, then a connecting flight from Newark, NJ to Boston, MA (1.5 hrs buffer). Total time should have been 6-7 hours. Problems started in Los Angeles when the gate person told us that there was a mechanical problem on the plane. Many people had connecting flights and so a long line formed. One person was at the desk creating new boarding passes. For some reason, it took him about 10,000 keystrokes to issue each pass. Two hours, he issued a total of two boarding passes. The line became exceedingly long, and then he called in a manager who whispered in his ear, then left. Another associate came in, talked to the associate at the counter and walked away. Flight arrives late and then I have to wait 7 hours for another flight to Boston. Total travel time ended up being over 17 hours. Horrible experience, inept customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Juraj Kovac    (Czech Republic)

Flew FRA-EWR and IAD-FRA last week and I have to confess: flying United is like blind tasting every-flavor beans. Their website and mobile app are an atrocity, then again the flights were absolutely fine. The 15+ years old B777s with refurbished 3-3-3 cabins are way more spacious than many of the newer planes, though 31" seat pitch in coach feels borderline cramped. IFE screens are tiny, but the AVOD selection is downright impressive. Unlike previous trips, the staff were courteous, attentive and efficient. Even the meals were rather delicious, as far as airline food goes. There was plenty of drinks throughout the flight, frequent updates from the crew and we even cut down a 40min delay to an on-time arrival to FRA - altogether an enjoyable travel experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by D Glesby    (Canada)

YWG-ORD-FLL-ORD-YWG. Check seemed more complicated than other carriers, but did manage to figure it out. Left YWG on-time. Arrived into ORD more or less on time. Had 50 minutes to get to next gate which was miles away. Got to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare. 4/7 of my group members got seats. Three were put up in a hotel for the afternoon and the closest United could get them to FLL the same day was to fly to MEM. They arrived in MEM only having to drive 13 hours to get to FLL. They were fairly compensated, that was the only good part of the outbound trip. On the way back, check in was a breeze as it was deserted. Ended up getting to the gate with about 2 hours to spare. Plane was delayed about 25 minutes, aggravating but didn't lose any sleep over it. Got into ORD a couple minutes late. My connection to YWG was supposed to be 40 minutes but our plane which was coming in from SAV was 4.5 hours late leaving thus delaying us 4.5 hours. I was insulted as we only received a $7 voucher. The only shop that was open was a McDonald's which was in the American Airlines terminal which was miles away. Winnipeggers don't have much choice in air travel, but I will do my best to avoid United in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by J Harris    (Australia)

LAX-JFK, EWR-LAX. Pros: two helpful ground agents and warm, friendly lounge staff at LAX. Decent IFE and comfortable seat for the 5 hour flight. Cons: Too many to mention but mainly staff attitude about everything. Even the simplest task is completed with a sigh and a roll of the eyes. I've never experienced boarding a flight before while the crew talked amongst themselves and literally ignored passengers boarding - not even a request to show boarding passes. I've honestly never been tested with such consistent disdain by employees of a company to which I'm paying a considerable chunk of money. It got to the point where I just smiled to myself with amusement at their unprofessional and frankly useless and unhelpful manner. I only flew UA as a code share with AirNZ but can honestly say I will never ever waste my time or money again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by A Davidson    (Canada)

This review relates to a 5 flight itinerary booked with United. Other than flight segment 3 which was with Lufthansa from Barcelona (BCN) to Munich (MUC) the other 4 flights were with United Airlines. The problem started when United had a schedule change which did not allow us a legal connection in Newark (EWR) on the outbound flight to Barcelona (BCN). We received an e-mail from United informing us of a change in time to an earlier flight from Phoenix (PHX) to Newark (EWR) allowing us a legal connection for our flight. This in itself was a bit annoying since we went from an original connection time of one hour to a four hour connection. Unfortunately, we "accepted" the change on-line which was the first error on our part. The day prior to departing from Phoenix, we received the usual message telling us we could print our boarding passes. This worked fine until we checked the boarding passes only to find out there was no longer the priority boarding we had booked and paid for. This resulted in spending over an hour on the phone to United. As it turned out, with every segment flown with United, it was necessary to go through the whole process of having them reprint boarding passes which showed the priority boarding and then only after we had provided them with proof this had been purchased. As for the flights themselves? The usual experience of dealing with disinterested flight attendants, barely edible food and the fact, as I was told, "United no longer offers special meals (eg: low cholesterol or diabetic) but does provide a kosher meal for its Jewish and Muslim passengers and a beef free meal for its Sikh passengers. So, all in all, the poor service of United Airlines appears to be the norm more and more these days rather than the exception which really is a problem for the UA's promise that we are "flying the friendly skies".

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Martin Cohen    (UK)

My sister, wife and I travelled Heathrow to Chicago, to Denver and onto Minot, ND. Booked meals asked for veggie for me on the first flight. Lousy onboard service, Chicago chaotic. Flight on small jet to Minot was excellent. return was via Washington. Lousy flight, uncomfortable seats on United, tight for me at 6'3", on board attendants no patience. Food again on return was unplanned.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by E Waxman    (USA)

Planned a vacation to Australia and New Zealand over a year ago! Left EWR on Jan 22 for SFO, flight was delayed almost 2 hours (waited about 40 mins to take off), most of the delay was caused by a mechanical problem. Pilot apologized for problem, saw mechanic going back and forth down aisle. Had a connecting flight to Sydney, with 1.5 hr layover. Notified flight attendant about connection and pilot contacted United to let them know that there were a number of people on the flight connecting to Sydney. Was told plane was taking off "on time", Got into SFO in enough time to make connection, but sat on tarmac for 20 mins. waiting for gate. No gate agent, no transportation - just run. Got to gate at 10.42, doors closed at 10.40. United's response - tough. One flight a day to Sydney. Customer service said EWR flight was delayed due to weather (untrue), therefore no compensation. Was upgraded to First class for following days flight. One hour before departure, United takes away our first class tickets, and gives seats to United employees (saw the badge) - unbelievable! Don't want to bore you with the return flights, but suffice it to say had to spend two nights in SFO, of course no compensation.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax