United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Findlay    (UK)

LHR-EWR and back. You do get what you pay for with this airline, but they really should do something to improve on the overall quality of their planes and service. The 757s look extremely dated now - once white plastic fascias now looking grey/brown. Curtain divider between Economy and Business a tatty net curtain that doesn't cover the width of the doorway. On both flights the toilet illumination signs were flickering constantly and added to the air of shabbyness. The only long haul airline I have flown in the last 5 years where in Economy, you do not get any inflight entertainment system. All you get is films on a loop. I had to wait 20mins for the loop to start again. Flew LHR-SFO last October and on the EWR-LHR route this time, the same film selection was playing as in October. Particularly galling as I paid a cheaper price for a trip to Thailand on Thai Airways last year and the IFE was excellent. Staff whilst pleasant are genuinely uninterested, took 10 mins to answer my call to ask them to get my bag out of the overhead locker as the passengers either side of me were asleep. You have to pay for the alcoholic beverages - $7 for a 125ml bottle of red wine is an unbelievable rip off. The seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have sat in with the exception of Ryanair, where you expect an uncomfortable ride. On the plus side, there is an extremely good availability of economy plus seats and the legroom really is superb in these seats, but this does not make up for the overall comfort of the seat. The price to upgrade to Economy plus is the same as paying for an extra legroom seat on Virgin Atlantic and is less than half as good.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by John Leitch    (UK)

Newark to London Heathrow, 4 June. Found them ok in all areas. Plane very clean, drinks brought around regularly. Seat comfortable with plenty of legroom.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Brian Levy    (Ireland)

Horrible experience. I made the mistake of booking United for the short 40 minute trip from Doha to Dubai (United has a daily Washington DC-Doha-Dubai flight). Security at Doha airport for this particular flight was exhausting with United staff fingerprinting passengers, taking off shoes, etc as if we were going to the US instead of just Dubai. The plane was a tired creaky old B-777. Flight attendants whose average age was nearly 60 were grumpy and rude. Only a stale bagel was served. Definitely one of the worst flight experiences I had ever to endure.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by L Southworth    (USA)

BOS and MCI and again from BOS to YYT. Overall, a below average - average airline. Gate staff and flight attendants can be surly, but occasionally a helpful and attentive one can be found. I generally will not fly United unless they are significantly cheaper or have markedly better connections/flight times than everyone else.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Barbara Webb    (USA)

LAX to Quebec City, Canada. May 22 and 28, 2014: What a nightmare full of delays and lack of updated information, so I, a 77 year old grandmother, had to run from one end of an airport to the other to catch a plane, sat in airports for many wasted, precious travel hours. The movies on board were horrible choices. I hope to never need to fly United again in my life. And I have done a LOT of traveling.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Commander Anna    (UK)

We travelled to NY, 28/5/14 with United Airlines and from the minute we went to check in desk we where treated with courtesy. The staff were both friendly and helpful. Once on the plane we again had the same experience. The food was ok and served hot. The choice of films etc was great and to have the chance to charge your devices was very handy. On our return we were due to fly with a different airline but we missed our flights. The other airline couldn't care less and said we would need to pay $1300 each to get home. We decided to go over to the United desk to see if they could offer any help. They went above and beyond to help us get on another flight with a different company for no charge.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by John A Cunningham    (USA)

May 21, Denver to Los Angeles: The A320 was having mechanical problems which delayed departure by over an hour. Meantime a violent thunderstorm/tornado warning further delayed departure until we were 2.5 hours late leaving. Needless to say our connection to Hilo HI was way gone before we arrived. We were bumped from one customer service desk to another. The line at Gate 71 never moved for an hour. Children were tired and screaming while the customer service reps mumbled useless statements, waited for phone returns and after an hour declared we had no hotel or meal compensation because DIA coded the departure as late due to "weather". If the plane had been ready at departure time there would have been no delay. The rude and helpless reception at Los Angeles resulted in several of us sleeping in the airport all night, missing a full day of reserved vacation time, a change in destination from Hilo to Kona, a change in car rental arrangements and a long drive around the island instead of 30 miles as originally planned. The scene at the customer service desk was hellish and I was prepared to see any one of the passengers leap across the counter at the inept and uncaring, mumbling representatives. I will never travel on United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Altman Nathaniel    (USA)

June 3, EWR-SFO, Economy, on a new 737-900. We departed two hours late due to a storm and flight crew distributed water and was generally helpful and good humored. These planes offer standard economy seating, not as comfortable as other planes United flies. Bathrooms are extremely tiny and cramped. As opposed to a wide variety of seatback entertainment on UA's 757s from JFK to California, this new 737-900 offer no entertainment options at all, a major disappointment on such a long flight. These planes may be perfect for a 1-2 hour trip, but not for a transcontinental journey.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by M Studzinski    (Poland)

London LHR - Newark EWR. Boeing 757-200, quite old and it was visible everywhere as cabin looked shabby. Cabin crew ok, but limited their service to distributing food, collecting trays and that's it. Small portions, paid alcoholic drinks, torn inflight magazine. Nothing special, there are much better options on this route.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Wong Tai Wei    (Russia)

We flew UA893 SFO to ICN on B747 on 29th May 2014. Flight was delayed 2 times - captain rejected the first plane due to technical issue, and the replaced plane returned to gate after found technical glitch while taxiing. Overall, almost 5 hours delay. The captain tried his best to kept us updated on the delays. Instruction of allowing passengers to leave the plane during the delay was not clear, resulted in passenger wandering around the bridge area. Cabin crew changed after the 2nd delay, which turned out to be a plus point to us. Original crew serving the upper deck was grumpy, the replacement crew (original crew gone probably due to extended hour) was fantastic, provided one of the better quality service to a almost fully filled business class cabin. The plane was old, and there was sign of dirt especially around the edges of the window frame. Seat itself was comfortable. It is weird to see UA cramping 2-4-2 seat in business class. Food was delicious. Inflight entertainment was average. For the price paid, UA has exceeded our expectation.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by MacMillan David    (UK)

ORD to LHR in a fully refurbished 767-300ER. Efficient and helpful check in. Nice lounge, was very busy but had nice atmosphere and nice bar tenders. Boarding efficient. Very good seating notwithstanding 6 abreast and good cabin ambience. Some pairs of seats are backwards facing but not a big issue. Professional and helpful crew who were well organised, attentive and efficient - a real surprise. Very good choice of wines and OK food but nice desert and very good cheese plate. Seat in sleeping position was good and nice large pillow. Big screen, noise reduction earphones and OK programming with mostly American content. Many language options. Luggage return quick. Overall very impressed and would consider better than transatlantic AC and LH flights taken in previous 3 weeks.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Todd Townsend    (USA)

Six hour delay from San Antonio to Houston. I could have driven there and back. The flight crew and gate staff were so rude! No recompense whatsoever. Not even an apology to the over two hundred passengers. My first time to fly with United and my last.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by M Goodfriend    (USA)

1st class, UA 926, LHR-EWR in 3 cabin 767. Check in with Biz class pax, long line. Indifferent contract staff were clueless regarding arrival facilities at EWR. Ditto for gate agents. Flight attendant told me to check with transfer desk at EWR after clearing customs. Transfer agent told me that there were no arrival facilities unless continuing on with UA. Huh, at a UA hub for 1st class? I noticed that meal served in 1st was the same as in Biz, albeit with better china. Altogether, a thoroughly mediocre experience for a huge premium price. There are many better ways to cross the pond - especially those of us needing to freshen up for post arrival meetings.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by L Snelleman    (Netherlands)

ORD-AMS on a clapped out Boeing 767 which showed its age. The worst experience on this flight were the cabin crew. The most unfriendly, lazy, rude and uninterested crew I have ever flown with. Shouting at passengers to close the overhead lockers, refusing to close these themselves. This is one of their safety duties! The service was slow, no peanuts/snacks with the drinks. Dinner was awful, cold by the time I was served and totally inadequate for a 7 hr flight. Beer/wine are for sale only and when I asked for a soft drink they offered water only! A second request for a soft drink was rudely refused. Inflight entertainment was terrible, small screens and all channels started without any announcement so by the time you wanted to watch anything, films were already running for 30 mins. I am a Star alliance Gold member and have flown more than most people but this flight was by far the worst I have ever experienced. No more United for me!

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Bettie Descartes    (USA)

I booked a 5 day weekend from Thursday to Tuesday. My flight was cancelled while I was on my way to the Airport. I had to pay for a taxi to and from the airport and return the next day at 4am for a 6am flight. My original flight was a 2 hour direct flight from Newark to Atlanta but the rescheduled flight had a layover in Chicago. I arrived in Atlanta at 12pm. I could have leave with that but I could not believe that my return flight was cancelled and this time, without a notice. I only found out because I couldn't print my boarding pass. I was rescheduled on a flight to LaGuardia and because the agent did not completed the booking, I missed the flight and had to be put on another flight 3 hours later. I got to the airport at 5.45pm and did not take off until 10.53pm for a 2 hour flight. I am still waiting for an explanation for cancelling both flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by L Pulliam    (USA)

Louisville - Houston - Denver - Reno. All flights on time. Plenty of drink runs on all flights. Snack boxes for purchase but I did not try any. All the staff were friendly except for a grumpy check-in clerk at Louisville. My check-in bag was 54.5 lbs so was asked to remove an item. I pulled out one slipper and that dropped the weight down to 54 lbs and that was acceptable according to the clerk. I asked her if she was serious and she said yes. So I put one slipper in my carry on and went on my way. Flew on an EMB175 from Louisville to Houston which was way to small of a plane for that distance, but I pretty much slept the whole flight. Then was on a 787 Dreamliner from Houston to Denver. Thought that was kind of a big plane for that flight, but what a brilliant aircraft. New, quiet and very comfortable. The plane was heading to Tokyo from Denver hence the need for the large craft. Then an A320 on to Reno. Everything went like clockwork so no complaints and my luggage arrived safely minus the slipper I had to take out in Louisville.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Sophia Dong    (Canada)

May 17th from Toronto to Cancun with a connection in Houston. The plane had a mechanical problem half way to Houston and had to land in Memphis. More than 100 people were asked to stay at Memphis airport and wait for another plane to come. We waited for 7 hours from 1.30 to 8.30. The airport staff first said that the plane would come at 7.30 and later announced that it would be one hour late. All stores in Memphis airport closed around 6.30 and we were all starving. United did at least bring some food for us in this situation. We missed our connecting flight and had to call our hotel and pick-up shuttle to explain the situation. We eventually arrived at Houston around 11pm. There were only 2 people at Houston to help the customers arrange hotels and airport shuttles, and they worked extremely inefficiently since they didn't seem to know what to do. In the end it took them 3 hours to get everyone arranged. Up to this point I am totally disappointed with United Airline. I'd rather pay a little more to get a better service. This is my first time flying with United and shall be the last.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Tina Smith    (USA)

Long story short, they kept finding reasons to delay and cancel my flights and those of the people around me. It was chaos and passengers all around were complaining of their own horror stories with United. I spent the night in a Chicago airport (admittedly a large part of my nightmare was O'Hare airport) and no one who worked there for United seemed to care that I needed a flight out because they were so overwhelmed with the number of flights that were canceled and people that needed to be rebooked. They didn't give me a hotel room because the problem was due to "weather," but that was simply not true. They told us on the plane that we boarded that we needed to go back to the airport because the crew had overworked their permitted number of hours and they had no other crew to replace them with. I told them I would literally take any flight that would get me out of that city and the flight I did get was canceled within a few hours of booking it. I went back to customer service and I felt like I was a bother to them for simply needing a way out of there to avoid sleeping on their floors again. It was like it was normal for them to have upset customers, and the people like me who didn't give them a hard time were more likely to messed about.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Ivan Dzhur    (USA)

IAH to YYC on Boeing 737-800. Smooth check-in. Organized boarding. Clean aircraft, decent seat and legroom. Pro-active crew and multiple offerings of beverages. Bags on baggage belt by the time I arrived there.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Rane Ravindra    (USA)

BOS-IAH. I was traveling with my family for holiday from BOS-LAX via IAH. My son is severely allergic to nuts and we always carry Epipen with us. We informed United customer service agent in advance about the allergy, they made a note in system and advised us to inform the crew on board. When we informed about the allergy to crew on board flight 488, they told us they can't make announcement about nut allergy due to change in policy and could not able to help us. Finally some of the passengers around us helped to request everyone about the allergy. The second leg of Journey (Flight 1121) crew told us they will make a courtesy announcement. After take off they did announce in so low volume that no one really could hear anything. More than 3 million people in the United States report being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts or both. I would like to warn those people in advance about the United Nut Policy.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax