United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Susan Gibson    (Canada)

Calgary Airport to Houston (George Bush) on 31st July 2014. Connecting flight from Houston (George Bush) Airport to Orlando. Returned on 11th August. Orlando to Houston, Houston to Calgary. What can I say but after reading such dreadful reviews before our trip I should have listened and gone with another airline! We experienced the worst service ever. Delayed flights, once they told us that the wrong plane had been sent. How do you send the wrong plane. 100 people too small. Miserable gum chewing flight attendants, that looked like they'd just crawled out of bed. Nearly bumped off one flight altogether and the staff couldn't care less. We even had to pay for inflight entertainment. I seriously don't think they even care if no one wants to fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Eddy    (USA)

UA 511, SEA-IAD. I am United 1 K, but increasingly moving my travel to Delta and other carriers. UA has tanked since its merger. Bad experience started at check-in, who incorrectly told me I could not through-check bags to KBL (eventually she did), and then berated me. Plane was tired, no internet, minimal entertainment. Also minimal food in first class, but I'll give a pass on that.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C Kay    (UK)

Houston - Indianapolis - Houston. Both sectors on an Embraer 145 aircraft that had some of the hardest seat cushions I've ever experienced. Not much in the way of service considering it was a two hour flight, but then again there is not much room in these aircraft. Overall, basic but on time.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Eric Stombaugh    (USA)

United Airlines needs serious work on maintenance, pilots and air crew. I fly (or used to up till now) about 6 times a month for the last 6 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of flights that actually left or arrived on time. There were crew issues (I sat at the gate with the plane present for over 1.5 hrs waiting on a crew from another flight to show up). There were maintenance issues (we are on the plane which was late showing up in the first place, supposed to leave at 8.50 plane shows up 9.20. Load the plane by 9.40, sit at the gate because main door would not indicate sealed until 10.15 then cancelled flight. Wait over 12 hours for a new flight). Pilot issues (plane late arriving again, after 2 hour delay pilots get on load plane, plane pulls out of gate, then returns to gate. Pilots leave flight their hours are up. Time used while sitting at gate on phones not flying). If I'm late by 1 minute the door shuts can't get on the plane, ok my fault. I sit waiting for over 12 hours because the plane has issues, suck it up not even a sorry.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Krishnamoorthi    (USA)

We sent our son, 11 years old, from San Francisco to Austin, TX for a trip on his own. When we were booking his flight on united.com, it said that there was a mandatory $300 airline service fee for unaccompanied minors, if a child is under 12. The $300 was supposed to pay for a mandatory "unaccompanied minor service". According to them, the fee will give the child a United representative to be of help at all times. When we got to the airport, though, we learned that the "service" was a scam, and that they weren't going to do anything for my son. We thought they were going to help him through security and onto the gate, but no. They told us that we could have gate passes and go through the security line and help him onto his flight. We were expecting them to help my son for anything he needed, but it seemed that they were treating him like he was an adult, and didn't care that he was going on a flight all by himself. Today, he is supposed to come back from Austin, but his flight is delayed due to technical difficulties for 5 hours, and instead of taking care of my son, as I have paid them to do so, I they instead have called my son's aunt, whom my son was living with in Austin, and asked her to come and wait with my son for the duration of the time. We are wondering why we have paid this fee and what it even includes. When his aunt went to tell the the airline service that my son has the unaccompanied minor service, they told her that they don't care and that she must wait in the line like everyone else. This is horrible service, and is terrible compared to other airlines. I will not be flying with United Airlines after this experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Grundy Vanessa    (Canada)

We flew home from Germany to Alberta, Canada, we had a stop over in Chicago IL. United Airlines had the worst service we have ever had from an airline company. The people were very unhelpful. Here is what happened, an explanation of why we are so disappointed. The customer service was the worst we have had. It was our honeymoon, we boarded our initial flight in Barcelona Spain with a different airline, they flew us to Germany at which point we were to get on our UA flight. The first thing that annoyed us was that the UA airline baggage people didn't even make an effort to get our luggage on our first UA flight (this is something we didn't find out until we were already in Chicago). The lady we spoke to in Chicago simply said "you had a short layover and in cases like that we don't get the luggage because its too difficult." Once we were in Chicago and realized our baggage hadn't made it onto our plane, we were told that it would be very easy to give the UA baggage office our address and they would ship them to us the next day. So we landed in Calgary (an hour late) and went to the UA baggage office to report our missing bags and give our address to them. We waited at their office for 1.5 hrs. This was a very frustrating experience in regards to the baggage and customer service. On a final note, I would not recommend traveling with United Airlines (Lufthansa)!

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Filsone Tony    (USA)

United Airlines business or first class to Aruba is very bad. Misleading advertising, service and claimed equipment is false. No inflight entertainment as advertised. No video or music in First Class. Seats, tray and pockets all dirty with food and garbage from last passenger. This was a brand new plane and in first class the seats were so close I could not get out of my seat without disturbing the passenger in front of me or to my side. Food was spoiled with rancid oil used. Staff could care less. Not even power for my laptop to get work done. Wi-Fi, entertainment, power all advertised and paid for but got none of it. All bait and switch. This was a blatant rip-off of a consumer. Make you pay for services and then you don't get them.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by De Stefani    (France)

I flew 3 times with UA during our July 2014 vacations: a round trip Houston-Managua and Houston-Munich. 1) Houston-Managua-Houston: a 3 hour trip and neither a packet of peanuts nor a coke to offer. All was chargeable but water. Never experienced it before with a major airline. 2) Houston-Munich: Firstly our initial flight was cancelled after a 4 hours wait. Ground staff overwhelmed. We waited 2 hours more for rebooking on next day flight, they lodged us for overnight in a poor hotel. When finally we took the next days flight, crew on board were unpleasant, neither a smile nor a "thank you" especially for the offloaded passenger of the previous day. Lunch and breakfast were unacceptable except for pets. Frankly I'm not a demanding guy nor a pain but I will never take this airline anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Alexa Barry    (USA)

After taking a red-eye from San Francisco, I was bumped from my flight. It happens, the planes were switched but the very blatant tension selection of those who got left behind was very frustrating. The customers left behind had booked their flight well in advance and there seemed to be a consistent trait, we were connectors from SF. The question of whether I was in for an adventure aka a delayed flight to a completely different location was condescending. No apology until I dealt with a woman at the end of the process. She treated the situation with sensitivity and realized that as a traveler and customer this could possibly be stressful and frustrating. As their customer it seemed like my Sunday was worth less than everyone on the plane. Perhaps they should under board planes, not over board them to make more money.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Bryan    (USA)

I have had several problems with UA over the years and tend to avoid them, but recently, I had no good option other than to travel with them from SFO to Dulles, round-trip in economy class. The return flight, on a 757-300, was horrific, with turbulence for hours. The pilot never really commented on it other than a brief, "It's bumpy so I've turned on the seat belt sign". I am only 5' 2" and 105 lbs. and I was unable to sit without my knees hitting the seat in front of me. There was no in-flight entertainment at all. I will continue to avoid flying UA at all costs even though they have a hub near us in SFO. My past grievance with them concerned their small seats, rude flight staff, and last-minute flight cancellations, back-to-back with other, overbooked flights. While turbulence is turbulence, it was handled very poorly.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Teresa Wall    (USA)

Flight from Cancun to Houston 8/5/14, arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs prior's to flight time of 3.02pm. It took the entire 2.5 hours to get through the check in line. Ended up having to run to catch the plane. Don't know why they didn't open more lanes, the line never got any shorter. When we finally got to the front the line was just as long if not longer than we got there 2.5 hours earlier. Stewardess's were not friendly. Only good thing was flight was on time.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Trumpold    (China)

The in-flight service and cabin cleanliness was terrible. I have flown this flight before it has been fine. This time around the flight staff were rude or off-handish. One flight attendant abruptly placed the food tray stating 'only chicken' when another flight attendant actually had pasta. When questioned we were spoken to rudely. The toilets were not cleaned, on other airlines they clean as you go. My wife mentioned to the flight attendants and their reply was 'you should see the rest of China' - we actually live in Beijing. They also said that she should wait until Beijing when it will be cleaned. Also, in years past (18 years I have been flying with UAL) United had been much better. Flight attendants didn't know when to turn lights on or off or when they were suppose to start the food/beverage services. Where has the United I once knew gone?

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Hector Lopez    (USA)

I have flown with United Airlines multiple times, so this is no "one time" incident. To have a something go wrong is almost unavoidable. My last experience, for example, was the last flight of a series of flights from Prague to New Orleans, if only it were that easy. The final flight, from Washington to New Orleans, was supposed to leave at 6:50. There was a "late inbound aircraft arrival" which kept us all in the airport for 3 hours constantly being reassured that the flight would be there shortly. I wish I could say that this incident was the only time it has happened, but unfortunately this is a feeling quite familiar to a United Aircraft flyer.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by V Brown    (USA)

July 23rd, GRR-ORD-LAX-LAS and on July 29th, LAS-DEN-GRR. The staff at United were so friendly and helpful! The flights were easy, quick and problem free. Even with an hour delay between connections we made it into our destination on time! We needed to change our seats so we could sit together and the attendants at both gates were quick and friendly about helping us!

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by K Kuprowski    (USA)

8am flight from Winnipeg to Chicago cancelled 12 hours early due to weather. How the airline knew there would be weather issues that far in advance is beyond me. The earlier flight and the later flight taking the same route went as scheduled. Was re-booked, unknown to me, with an overnight in Denver (final destination was Tampa). After much difficulty finding a number for the airline was able to get a different flight however leaving Aug 6th instead of 5th. Then asked to be refunded the checked baggage fee and was told I have to do that myself online. Checked the weather this morning and the skies between Winnipeg and Chicago all clear. Will stay clear of United from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by David Liebskind    (USA)

United has become a terrible airline since the merger with Continental. The service, customer focus and experience have all declined in the past few years. United no longer values loyal customers and it is evident by their service and how they treat their loyal members. I have been a loyal member for 20 years and have decided it is time to find another airline who will treat their passengers better and create a better flight and service experience. The delays also have been horrendous lately with waiting for flight crews to arrive.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by James Gerwin    (USA)

Flew Houston-Denver in Economy Plus. UAL charges you extra for deplorable seats. So narrow that the normal sized guy next to me was half in my seat. And the so called extra leg room is a scant 3 inches more for $50. The guy in front reclined his seat all the way, ans I thought I was in a tiny cage. UAL charges for AV service. The snack pack for $8 was just OK. The flight staff was friendly - the only positive about this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Agustin Xandrew    (Canada)

YWG-ORD, BUF-ORD. My flight was supposed to be at 6am but they had us waiting for 2 hours before they cancelled it, they rebooked me on a flight that was 11 hours later. On the same trip going back from Buffalo, the flight was 3 hours late, worst flight experience ever. I know flying United is sometimes cheaper, but its not even worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Analise Fagan    (USA)

I booked a straight flight from Washington Dulles to Toronto, CA. Keep in mind that this was a weekend trip and I was supposed to return Monday afternoon. My departing flight was scheduled for 3.20pm and we boarded around 4pm. The pilot announced that the door could not close completely so we had to wait for an Engineer to fix it. We waited on the plane for an hour. The Engineer came and it took an additional 30 minutes. We got on the runway then the pilot announced that Toronto had issued a no-fly restriction due to severe thunderstorms. We waited on the runway for an hour. They took us back to the terminal and after about 2 0minutes, it was time to take off, again. We got back on the runway, went to the same spot to prepare for take-off when the pilot announced that Toronto Intl. issued another no-fly restriction and we had to wait 30 more minutes. So we did. Then later, they called the plane off the runway and cancelled the flight. It took 2 hours to get to customer service so they could help me get on another flight. The Agents were so rude and barely attempted to help me find something that would take me to Toronto that night! Ended up booking me on a 5.45am flight Saturday morning. I left Washington Airport at 11pm. Saturday morning I got on a connecting flight through Texas. What was supposed to be a straight flight to Toronto took 6 hours! To make matters worse, my new booking was out of Reagan Airport so I had to adjust my return flight. They gave me a flight back on Air Canada (the Toronto to Chicago leg). I stood in line to check in and learned from the agent at Air Canada that United never officially reserved the seat for me. I had to run to United, get them to reserve the flight, give me a print out so that I could return to Air Canada. I connected in Chicago. The United flight from Chicago to DC was hour late. I lost time, money and sleep. United had no compassion and was unapologetic.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Pietrantuono    (Canada)

Completely disorganized, unfriendly and the least bit helpful. The customer service from the second I came into the airport in Toronto were so unwelcoming. After printing out my boarding passes at the kiosk with no help, (Sunwing kiosks had assistants walking around assisting people) struggled with a kiosk, and then headed to the line to check bags in. The girl at the desk just seemed so unimpressed and was very cold towards my family and I. Upon going through customs it was very disorganized and very little help was offered while at the receipt kiosks. While going through baggage check the man checking our carry ons was telling everyone that passed that our flight was cancelled. Mind you, the smartphone app said the flight was on time, early actually. We then got into the waiting area, there was just a sense of panic going on and nobody knew what was going on. A flight attendant came and confirmed it was cancelled. Maybe 10 minutes went by and another flight attendant came by and said it was in fact running on time and not to worry. All in all very disorganized and unwelcoming. I've always flown with Sunwing and I guess next time I won't be travelling with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Almedal So    (Sweden)

Flight from Detroit to New York was 3 hours late, which meant we arrived so late that there was nothing left of the day despite only a 1 hr 50 min flight. On the flight from NY to Stockholm we never experienced such unprofessional and unpleasant behaviour from the cabin crew. Overall grumpy except one younger female flight attendant. The older female was very harsh and unfriendly. We will never fly United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by R Williams    (USA)

HNL/LAX: The return flight from Honolulu to LAX was cancelled. Even though UA had our contact information, we were never notified that our flight had been cancelled. It wasn't until we went online to do our check-in that we found out about the cancelled flight. The first reservationist we spoke to was not very helpful. She had us booked to return home the next day in economy and not first class as was paid for, stating this was all that was available. We weren't satisfied with her "solution" so we called UA back and spoke with another reservationist who was more helpful. Not only did she offer us another first class flight, but it was also on the same day as originally planned (not the next day). Dealing with the first reservationist was very frustrating.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Freeman    (Australia)

MEL-SYD-LAX-IAH-GIG. Paid an economy ticket and was upgraded on all flights to Business using one global credit. Service out of Melbourne was superb - attentive crew and a light load. Out of Sydney the flight was full but again the crew were attentive and service was fairly good. The flight LAX/IAH was particularly good - the crew were amazing. The last flight IAH-GIG was superior - the 772 was much newer than the one used on the SYD-LAX route and crew did not disappear for hours in the middle of the flight. The dinners were good but the breakfasts average. Considering the price paid for the ticket I was pleasantly impressed. All flights left on time and arrived on schedule or ahead of schedule. After 39 hours of travel time I was left feeling not too bad!

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J Lamont    (USA)

HNL-ORD. Overnight in a B777-200. United is refurbishing these aircrafts-and we wished they would hurry it up! No sound, A/V, Wi-Fi. No entertainment whatsoever (but at least no one had worked the Sudoku in my "Hemispheres" mag.). My seat worked ok, but my wife had to manually lift the leg support on hers, and couldn't unhinge the foot rest. Then in addition, the reading light for her seat wouldn't turn off. On-board staff were great: sincerely apologetic for the lack of amenities, profusely sympathetic about the seat problems. Service was excellent. Dinner was very good, breakfast less so but still appreciated. This could be a very good trip once the planes are fixed up.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-ORD-FRA-EWR-LAX last month. All flights arrived on time with no major issues. ORD-FRA on 747 and FRA-EWR on 777. Had upper deck on the 747 and it's the best place on the plane. Less people in a much more secluded environment. On both directions, the crew was congenial and the service was top notch. I appreciated being thanked for my business and for flying UA. The United Club in EWR was a bit crowded for my liking but overall a great experience on all 4 legs. I fly almost every week and they tend to get me where I need to go on-time.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by W Campbell    (USA)

I boarded UAL 771, July 25th, SFO to LAX. I had an International flight to catch on another airline. While I have had my share of grumpy UAL flight attendants I immediately noticed a different energy in the FC cabin when I entered (I bought FC - it was not a complimentary upgrade). There were two male flight attendants being warm and welcoming. They were constantly seeing what passengers needed (it was a 24 seat 757). They knew how to handle every request and not just with a sterile perfunctory smile. The mood among all of the passengers was noticeably different. I'm not sure that many of UAL's FA's know how significant they are in creating an energy on the plane among the people by the way they welcome and serve the passengers. Most FA's know how to serve a cup of water. That does not take much skill. However, to serve the water and give the sense that it is done graciously is something else.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by W Bickmore    (UK)

Flight from ORD to Edinburgh was first delayed and then cancelled at 7pm due to "aircraft maintenance". We were told to stay at the gate where a 'recover' team would rebook us onto other flights. It took each agent about 15 minutes to deal with each customer and then after standing in line for an hour we were told that we had to leave the gate as it was needed for another flight. We were told to go and join the back of the long queue at the Customer Services desk across the hall. After standing in line for almost another hour we were told that the best that could be done would be to put us on the flight the next day. Luckily, I checked and found an American Airlines flight to London Heathrow leaving at 9.40pm that night with an onward connection to Edinburgh with British Airways. The American and BA staff were courteous and helpful, unlike the United staff who didn't seem to give a damn.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Krebs    (USA)

UA982, 12/23/2013. United provided me with the worst traveling experience of my life. I spent 24 hours in Kuwait City airport after a cancelled flight. United gave me the run-around, promising flight after flight, which were all already overbooked. The only compensation I received was a complimentary hotel room. I got to the hotel at 1.30am and they took me back to the airport at 4am to catch a flight that was, of course, overbooked. I finally got a flight (on a different airline) 12 hours later. I understand that some circumstances simply cannot be helped. That is the gamble that goes along with travel. It is the being lied to and treated so poorly which made my experience so terrible.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Dwight Darrow    (USA)

I write this review sitting in the Milwaukee Wisconsin airport. My flight from Milwaukee to Chicago has been first cancelled then delayed twice. I should have driven to Chicago. Missed two connecting flights. Should have bee in Hartford, CT at 10am then 2pm now 4pm. What an absolute joke. When an airline can't provide adequate service from Milwaukee to Chicago they should just fold up their tent and go home. Don't pretend to be a transportation service when you can't transport people as promised. Scheduled this trip specifically to attend a theatre production produced by a friend. Attending that event, despite my best planning, is being placed in jeopardy by this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Ramona Dvorak    (USA)

The worst airlines I have flown in years! Kiosks were confusing and not enough help to use them. Both round trip flights from Boston to San Francisco were packed to the gills. Seats were terrible and cramped and it felt like you were sardines. Absolutely no snacks at all! Food offerings looked so bad even the staff said not to buy most of them. They have the audacity on the flight back to charge passengers for direct TV with no free channels at all! No cool circulating air so it felt suffocating! Seats terrible and uncomfortable. Staff agreed with our complaints. Flight was one hour late getting into Boston.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax