United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T White    (Australia)

United Flight San Fran to Sydney due to depart at 10.20pm, July 1st. Late away from the gates. Over 2 hours on the runway - a disruptive passenger means we have to return to the gate so that she can be removed by police. We are then told that we are not allowed to depart at all that evening and have to get off the plane. Went to customer service with all 350 other people. Queue to get a hotel voucher and new tickets for 25 hours later. Queue to get the shuttle. Finally in a hotel in the middle of nowhere at 3am. 25 hours of my life gone - disgraceful communication from United. Passenger was already behaving badly in the airport bar before departure.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T White    (Australia)

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Rose Daniel    (USA)

I have been flying UAL for nearly 30 years now, but I increasingly find them to be worse and worse. I have written to them twice now to protest their terrible baggage policies that encourage people to game the system and bring large, heavy luggage to the gate so that they can get it on for free rather than paying for checking. This means long delays and dangerous conditions on board as people try to lift bags that are too heavy for them over the heads of other passengers, putting them in danger. Indeed, this last flight I took a direct hit on my head from a passenger's backpack that was too heavy for her. No attendant came to see if I was safe and uninjured. Attendants told me they could not announce that passengers should be careful of other passengers when loading luggage because it would be a "deviation from the script" and get them in trouble. This is no longer an airline that I can say puts the client first.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by S McAvoy    (USA)

My family and I flew United from Austin, TX to Portland, ME on June 30th. Or at least we tried to fly into Portland. We boarded our flight in Austin and arrived to Chicago with no problems. In Chicago, we boarded our connecting flight, but were told we were going to have to sit on the runway for a while because of the thunderstorms going on. About 30 minutes later, we had to deplane for our safety. When we got off the plane, we discovered numerous flights had been canceled due to weather. About 15 minutes later, they got us back on the plane and told us we just had to fuel up and that they were going to get us to Portland that night. So then, we waited out the weather for 6 hours and finally it was clear enough to take off at midnight. However, one of the flight attendants timed out right when we were about to push back from the gate at midnight, so they canceled it and told us to go wait in the customer service line to rebook. The line stretched over 10 gates and wasn't really helping any customers. Called customer service instead and was told there were no flights from Chicago to Portland until 3 days later and the best they could do for us was fly us to Hartford, Connecticut - a 4 hour drive from Portland. Told our luggage would be sent to our destination, Portland, and would be waiting for us once we drove there. When we finally arrived in Portland at 6pm, 24 hours after we were supposed to, 3/4 bags hadn't even arrived. They have lost my family as customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by C Caldwell    (USA)

I switched from Southwest airlines 5-6 years ago. Logged around 180K miles since joining Continental/United. A while back I used most of my balance of miles to reward myself with a trip to Vegas for me and my wife. First Class there and coach back. Purchased at least a month in advance, checked in the day before, received tickets with our seat assignments while checking our bags. So far so good. At the gate they informed us that United overbooked First Class-still plenty of seats on plane-just overbooked First Class-not sure how you do that-since the odds of "no shows" happening with FC seats has to be rare. I understand overbooking the plane, but not a section. We were told since we did not purchase the tickets with money, we were the lucky losers. Someone gave up their seat which put my wife in first class and me in the back. Five years of loyalty resulted in a final reward of getting split up to start our vacation. The image of my wife crying at the gate will forever remind me of how United rewards their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Richard Bundrick    (USA)

In the last month I and my family have flown United four times. Three of the four flights were unmitigated disasters causing terrible disruptions in our plans and incredible inconvenience. To make matters worse, it seems as if United is totally focused on the passenger bearing all the downside to their poor execution. We got off a cancelled flight in Chicago ay 12.30 am and were greeted with nothing more than a toll free number to call for help. Not only the most pathetic customer service I've seen for an airline, but the worst service I can recall for any business I've been associated with. I will fly United from now on only as a last resort.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by K Christianson    (USA)

Flew UA1453 on June 29, 2014 from Dulles to Seattle. Worst experience ever. Took 90 minutes to check bags. Flight left 3 hours late. Had to board twice. They had to reassign seats for four different families with little kids because they didn't get seated together when issued tickets. Had to unload because they had a flat tyre. Apparently, they don't check things like that before loading planes. Watched Laurel and Hardy change the tyres. Missed my connecting flight in Seattle (of course).

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Lauri Stephens    (USA)

Flight from New Orleans, LA to Houston Texas delayed multiple times due to weather. Frequent gate changes, plus delays required interaction with agents required to arrange connecting flights. 3 times waited in line for over an hour. One agent actually yelled at us about "why didn't we all just call the reservations line?" Which of course we were all trying to do, but could not get through. I ended up spending the night at the Houston airport. I asked United personnel if I could get a blanket and pillow and was told they did not have any. However, the next morning on another Untied concourse there were at least a dozen people on cots - with pillows and blankets! I also was unable to get anything to eat or drink as all of the businesses in the airport seemed to close at 10pm and we arrived at ~ 10.03. I am diabetic and have MS (had not eaten since 9am) and was unable to get any United personnel to help me out with this matter. I remain appalled at the lack of customer service and professionalism of United's staff.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Espinosa    (USA)

June 25 2014 - flight delayed in Norfolk, Virginia due to high winds at our destination. Not enough personnel to assist travelers at the counter. Computers were not operable. Attendant repeatedly assured us we were next in line but continued to help other people. After a 45 min wait another attendant arrived and made every effort to help but it was too late. Spent night at airport, since local hotels were booked. Passengers were given a blanket and told to look for a place to sleep. Airport was extremely cold and loud music played all night. Witnessed the treatment from a United Supervisor towards a passenger at the Customer service counter - rude! Prior to this ordeal, we attempted to change flight one day earlier but refused to pay the $200 - $300 per ticket. This was our second experience with United and were told that since they were purchased/merged with Continental, the customer service has declined. Will try to avoid flying with them until this is corrected.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Cathy Boyd    (USA)

The trip from Little Rock to Moline was fairly uneventful, except for a delay due to weather in Chicago. That is understandable. However, the return trip from Moline to Little Rock was a complete disaster! Our flight from Moline to Chicago was delayed for crew time-out. Really? Our flight had been scheduled for over 2 months. Surely that is enough time to prepare for an available crew. Naturally, even though we ran as fast as we could, not easy for 60+ year old people, we missed our connecting flight. Then we spent another 2 hours waiting in line to find another airline. Not allowed to mention lost luggage. Horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Andres Montoya    (USA)

I flew San Francisco to Hong Kong, and the old 747-400 didn't even have a good entertainment system. The audio outlets on the seats did not work, the food was horrible! Alcoholic drinks are not free. On top of the $2000 USD fare that I am paying to fly economy, I still have to pay $6 dollars for a beer. On top of that, since I was coming from Bogota via Houston, then to San Francisco, when I arrived into Hong Kong, my bag was not there! On my way back from Hong Kong, to Newark, and then to Bogota, I happened to have the last row and the seats do not recline. On top of that, I get to Bogota, and my luggage was not there again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by J Howard    (USA)

June 27th 2014 - I usually avoid United because I have very rarely had a flight that wasn't delayed or cancelled outright with little to no notice. Today was no exception with a delay causing over a 90 minute delay. Nearly 25% of the other passengers on this flight were unable to get to connecting flights with this delay and were summarily told to pound salt when asked what United could/would do for them. Myself being only minorly inconvenienced could only hang my head in sympathy for passengers who would inevitably be left in Chicago O'Hare (also with it's share of issues) but when other passengers began comparing experiences on United they all agreed that this was relatively common regardless of destination. I cannot recommend United to anyone and suggest they actively avoid using this airline unless they absolutely don't need to get to their destination on time. Avoid using United Airlines unless you don't care about being on time or even arriving the same scheduled day. The fares are a poor bait and switch tactic and I would be surprised if the FAA does not step in soon.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew IAH-DFW on June 11 as first leg to onward travel to Frankfurt on United Ticket but second leg operated on Lufthansa (business). Flight was delayed, plane change and gate change. Had no access to United Club even with International Business Ticket in Houston. Reason was that my flights would have to be business all the way through final destination, but E145 has no business. Barely made my connection in DFW. Reasons above are easy to fix but I guess not intended to. Why not make your customers happy. Work hard Fly right? Staff were nice and friendly and tried to make up for the delay and no access policy. Summary, nice Staff but more and more 'unfriendly' policies.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

A very old 737-700 was used on this 5-hour flight from Washington, D.C. To Vancouver. The first class seat, although spacious, is very drab. The whole cabin has a very utilitarian design with nothing that says flying with United is an exciting experience. I have to say though that elements of the experience have improved over the last few years. A cloth hot towel has been re-introduced, and even though they ran our of food items in the first class cabin the breakfast selection was good. Besides a scrambled eggs option, they had a healthy oat bran choice as well, that I really enjoyed. Moreover, they also came by during the flight with a fruit basket. Great to see healthy food options being provided. Reminder: don't sit in the last row of the cabin, like I did, as the seat doesn't fully recline back.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by N Reich    (USA)

Flew PEK-ORD (flight 850) and ORD-MSP (flight 597) on Monday, June 23. United often gets a bad reputation, but overall I was very happy with my flights. Flight 850 left on time and arrived early in Chicago. The plane was clean, the in-flight entertainment had a great selection of movies and TV shows, and the crew were very friendly and helpful. The only problem I have with United's international flights is the lack of free beer and wine in Economy Class. Flight 597 to MSP boarded on time, but then we sat on the tarmac for 50 minutes before we were given clearance to leave. Once we did finally take off, the rest of the flight was fine. I'm a very happy United customer and would recommend this airline to anyone. While United's CEO is trying to cut costs and is devaluing the airline, the flight crew and gate agents still work hard to give customers a great flying experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Ted Chigaros    (USA)

Flew UA 319, Global First last night connecting from Austrian Airlines and was looking forward to experiencing UA's Global First on their three class 777 as I rarely ever fly UA. Horrible experience. Started with denying us access to the Global First Lounge as we were on Aeroplan miles, even though their website says flying in Global First grants access to the lounge. They sent us three rail stops away to the Lufthansa Business Lounge so we could shower after the 10 hour+ flight from Vienna. The Gate Area was a mess with over 300 people crammed into a small area, lining up like cattle in divided rows for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lanes - worse then Southwest. The plane came in late. We had to move to another Gate Area from C12 to D3 for another aircraft. The second Gate Area was larger. After a 1 hour and 38 minute delay, we took off. Despite only 8 seats in Global First, they don't get to board first. You must wait in Lane 1. Seems like an odd policy. The seats and cabin are very nice, no complaints. The video/audio choices extensive except the screen is a little small compared to other carriers. For a transcon, the drink/meal service stunk. The flight attendants were pleasant but UA offers no menus, no champagne, a tiny nut dish of peanuts and almonds, limited food choices (chicken or pasta), all served at once on a plastic tray. The quality of food was poor. The sundae was very nice. Now I understand why United is having such a difficult time. They need to check out what other US carriers are doing.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by C Lin    (USA)

In a recent long-haul flight (UA871) SFO-TPE, business class again ran out of the Asian meal option. This occurred in 4 out of my 5 recent transpacific flights. The purser came and apologized. She said United loaded only four such meals into a business class that seats 44 passengers! With a destination that is Taipei, it's astounding that United didn't bother to prepare more Asian food options. It seems to never happen when I fly Asiana, Cathay, Singapore or Lufthansa. It happens only on United. Is United hedging on meals to save money? And what is this 2-4-2 business class configuration? It's pretty bad given that for the same fare, one can fly in a much more spacious environment on competing airlines. I wish United would dismantle these terrible seats.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by A Welling    (Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran, and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight), terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is), multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. I am not sure who employed these folk or why on earth they decided to work in the service industry but they were not only dismissive, cold, and patronising towards guests, they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary, I don't understand UA's play. They act like a low’ cost airline. I say 'low low' because the majority of low cost airlines play in the mid tier now. As a national carrier, I don't understand this. They can't beat Southwest, so you'd think service would be a priority. Manners are free last time I checked. Once again, it takes more effort to be that terrible then it would to provide a half decent service. They are too many alternatives to put yourself through a UA experience. The most interesting part of this is all they have to do is look at Qantas and others who behaved like this in the late 90s and ended up losing half of their market share, and have been struggling since. Your people are your business.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by A Ehmen Carlotta    (USA)

We have flown with a number of other airlines both internationally and domestic and flying United was a nightmare. Weather is out of everyone's control but management of the overall system is a disaster and not equipped on the front line to deal with flight problems. We normally fly in and out of MSP but United ORD on the surface offered better options for connections to and from Toronto. The problems in Chicago, from what information we managed to get (mostly from other passengers both on our flight and other flights), were they did not know where aircraft crews were, where the planes were coming and going, or what gate (we were moved 3 times-one of which was on the opposite end of the terminal). We have had less delays and problems flying out of MSP in brutal winter weather. They make no announcements and changes are not posted timely, and if you can't get an audience with very limited counter agents, you find out your flight has been cancelled when the boarding time has come and gone. We witnessed that time and again. We were rebooked on the same flight 24 hours later-and as expected no luggage when we arrived-the tracking showed the time and place it was checked in more than 24 hours earlier at ORD-no progress up the chain in over 24 hours. I honestly feel for the counter people who have to deal with the chaos and irate passengers with little information and resources to fix problems-no wonder they may be less than friendly at times. I do believe there are huge and unnecessary internal problems with this airline (or airport) because we have flown from coast to coast, foreign countries and very bad weather with other airlines (and airports) that managed to deal with flight problems in a more efficient and passenger friendly manner. Who cares about the free soda with no ice - it would appear United-ORD has much, much bigger problems.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by B Scott    (USA)

DEN to ORD on a new (or with a new interior) A-320 and was very disappointed. UA has removed the entertainment system on this new plane, both audio and video, so if you like listening to "From the Cockpit" you are out of luck. Not everyone is always traveling with a laptop, so on long flights, the absence of entertainment will be very noticeable. The top of the slimline seat in front of me felt like it was right in front of my face and the new skinny armrests were very short and uncomfortable. The A-320 used to be my favorite plane on UA, but if this is a sign of things to come, it won't be any longer.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Aija Hughes    (USA)

My flight out from SFO was overbooked by 4 and there were some "hold your breath" moments until 4 people decided to give up their tickets and take an alternate flight. I had a connecting flight in Denver to Lincoln, Nebraska. Fortunately, I had a 3 hour layover in Denver which gave me plenty of time to walk from one end of the airport to the other for a connecting flight and believe me when I say it is a long haul. If anyone has a short time span to get to a connecting flight, I suggest they arrange for a cart. Passenger space on United is cramped. I sat beside a big guy and had to lean well over into the aisle in order for both of us to be able to sit in the side by side seats. My return from Lincoln to SFO was a nightmare. I arrived in Lincoln, got my boarding pass and when I looked at the pass and compared the time on it to the departure time listed on the board, I noticed that departure was at least one hour later - which meant that I would miss my connecting flight in Denver. When I pointed this out to someone in the airport departure gate area, they told me to get on the red phone to see if an alternate connection could be arranged. Once the plane finally arrived and I boarded, there was still a good possibility that I would miss my revised connecting flight in Denver. I got on one of the cars that transport passengers from one gate to another arrived 15 minutes before the connecting flight was scheduled to depart and found that it also had arrived late and was just disembarking. This, of course, delayed the scheduled departure time of that flight. Finally, to my relief, I boarded the flight from Denver to SFO only to sit on tarmac for over an hour due to lightning, thunder and rain. You pay for selecting seats, you pay for luggage, you pay for snacks and for the flight but you are packed into an exceptionally small seating space in which you cannot even fully put your tray down comfortably. Passengers should be treated better even if they fly economy.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by John Kneijber    (Australia)

We flew LGA-DEN-LAX in United First. Were able to use the United Clubs in both La Guardia and Denver as we were continuing on an international flight from LAX on a Star Alliance Carrier. Pleasant check-in agent checked our bags direct through to Brisbane which saved us having to collect luggage in Los Angeles. First leg on A319 with only 8 in the first cabin was fantastic. One of the best FAs we have ever encountered. Food was very good and drinks flowed freely. Only gripe on this sector was lack of in flight entertainment. The aircraft was equipped with Wi-Fi but you had to pay to use it, even in the first class cabin. Not much positive to write about the second leg on B737-900. One food option offered. If you didn't want it, too bad. Not even offered a snack from the buy on board menu. Once service was over the FAs sat in the galley and proceeded to talk extremely loudly for the rest of the flight. You could hear them even with headphones on. This aircraft had free TV options. Overall score is largely based on first leg of this trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Gary Hogate    (USA)

20 June 2014. Was booked on flight KOD72G Denver to Chicago for business. Like all my previous experiences flying on United, not only does the flight board beyond the stated time, we pull out of the gate 40 minutes late only to be told while sitting on the runway that we are going to be held 30 minutes in our position. It's bad enough that the seats are extremely small now we're delayed over 1 hour total which causes issues with our connections. These constant delays and poor service from the airline is unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by D Sin    (USA)

Frequent traveler with United and other airlines. United has declining service, reduced food, reduced beverages at United Club, frequent delays Service is mixed. Seems like constant crisis at the gates. Avoid them. Latest trip was DCA to ORD. Flight was delayed.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Welling    (Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran, and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight), terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is), multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. They were not only dismissive, cold, and patronising towards guests, they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary, I don't understand UA's play. They act like a‘low cost airline. Your people are your business.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

I recently completed 3 trips on United DEN-LGA and EWR-DEN with 5 out of 6 segments in First. Overall the product is decent for domestic first class. Crew on all 6 legs were generally very friendly and chatty with the passengers (all were DEN or SFO based). They worked the whole 4 hour flight and were constantly refilling glasses. Food was a little bland but was served well along with fresh baked cookies. Problem is inconsistency in on-board products with old CO aircraft having in seat TV and UA aircraft with old overhead monitors. Some aircraft's with WI-Fi and some without which makes it difficult to work. Of the 6 flights 3 were right on time with early arrivals and 3 were delayed 45 minutes mainly because of ATC issues in NYC area.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Caitlyn Malcynsky    (USA)

I travel all the time for business and booked on United for cost reasons, I was flying last-minute from LGA to MSP. I was scheduled to depart at 6pm from NY, change planes in Chicago with an hour layover time, and land in Minneapolis by 9.30pm. Departing flight was listed "on time". 5.45 boarding still had not begun - asked the gate attendant when we would be boarding, since I had a connector. He informed me that they were about to delay the flight indefinitely. After advice from customer service that my original flight is unlikely to take off in time for me to make any connection in Chicago, I am rebooked on a flight scheduled to depart an hour later - 7pm. However, this means I will miss my O'Hare connection, so that is also rebooked to a 10pm CDT flight. 7pm flight boards on time. Around the time of boarding, the originally-scheduled 6pm flight also starts the boarding process. Chaos at the 7pm flight's gate as multiple irate businessmen who had changed out of their 6pm first- class seats for a time-saving economy seat on the 7pm scramble to articulate their outrage and get rebooked on the now-departing earlier flight. At 7.10pm the 7pm flight is finally loaded - and completely full. It's sweltering hot and ripe with body odor, and very very dimly lit. 7.20pm: still hot, still smelly, still dark. Flight attendants are trying their best to be accommodating. The plane finally acquires a couple of pilots 45 minutes after scheduled departure. At this point, I am getting nervous that I may miss my re-booked connector as well, in which case I will either have to overnight in Chicago or drive the 6.5 hours to St. Paul. The plane touches down in Chicago only a little bit late despite the delay in take-off. Stopped on the runway in the middle of taxi - stops for at least 20 minutes. Flight attendant makes an attempt to ask passengers to remain seated so those with tight connectors can deplane first. His plea is denied immediately by the scores of tired and angry people who flood the corridor before the plane has even reached the gate. Fighting through 35 rows of people, I manage to deplane with 10 minutes to spare before boarding call for the connection. Arrive, sweaty and out of breath, at the gate just as my phone brings up a text from United: flight is delayed until 10.30 because the plane hasn't arrived. The gate attendant changes the sign to read 10.45 instead. Once 1035 hits, she updates it once more - to 10.51. In short, she assures there is no possible way I will arrive before midnight (CDT). I will never be taking United again.