United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by T Patrick    (USA)

Flight 1570 to Tampa 3/2/15. It is absolutely unacceptable to make everyone board and say final boarding call almost half an hour early and then not have the plane prepared with food and beverages and make us sit on the plane waiting for food. Still sitting here when we should have left an hour ago. Why would you not have what is always needed on the plane? It's not a surprise. Why do we need food and beverage when the flight is 2 hours and everyone wants to leave without it? This is poor service, poor planning, and poor management. We will not be flying United anymore. I have never had this issue with such a short domestic flight. Unfortunately we had to fly United because we had to travel for a funeral and these were the only flights. Now we just want to get home, but now we can't because we need stale pretzels that someone may want to purchase and no one can prepare or tell time. Never fly United, the Unfriendly Sky's.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by James Wallace    (USA)

Houston to Tokyo in Business Class. Five hours before landing in Tokyo when most people are sleeping, the fasten seatbelt sign came on and the following recorded announcement was made very loudly. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please return to your seat and fasten your seatbelt." I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep through the announcement. I was never able to fall asleep again during the flight. Can't United find a better way to alert passengers to the fasten seatbelt sign like a message on the television screen? Many United pilots turn on the fasten seatbelt sign when they need to use the toilet so it does come on a lot. Otherwise, the food, wine and entertainment were excellent and the seat made a very comfortable bed.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by S Pereira    (USA)

Economy FLL-IAH-GRU-IAH-SFO - typical USA airline, nothing special, space between chairs is minimum, service is the bare minimum. SFO-ICN, paid 500 dollars for an upgrade, plus some miles, and it was worth it. Sat on the business class on the upper deck (B747), really needed for such a long flight. Service was good. Scores would be much higher just for this part of the trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by J Hilinski    (USA)

We traveled from the United States to a resort in Punta Cana. On the return trip, our flight was delayed out of Punta Cana by an hour. This created a very short window of time to catch our connecting flight in Philadelphia. A plane was too close to the baggage area which delayed our bags and caused us to miss our connecting flight. We were then told there were no other flights that evening. (It was 8.30pm). The next available flight was at 9.45 the next morning. We were then informed that since the delay was because of "airport traffic," United was not responsible for paying for a hotel room for us-she did provide us with a pink card that would allegedly provide a cheap rate for us. After calling the number on the card that this upstanding United Airlines representative had so generously given us we learned that the nearest hotel we could stay at was 50 miles away. We were fortunate to find a "Parking Spot" driver who took us to a nearby hotel where many other stranded United Airlines customers ended up that evening. I hope to never have to give another dime to United Airlines and have told the travel agent to avoid them if at all possible.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by B Goldman    (USA)

I flew from Puerto Vallarta (PVR) to DC with a connection in Houston. There were literally thousands of people waiting to check in to United flights in PVR, with lines stretching the length of the entire terminal. Only four check in desks were open, one was even closed. There were no announcements, and a United rep went through the lines asking for passengers on the next flight only once. Flights out of PVR were delayed by as much as 2 hours or more. There was no help in Houston for people who would miss their connections. I arrived at my gate just before the door closed, and the sullen attendant at the desk refused to ask permission for me to board. A few minutes later, the door even opened to let out a passenger who had been checked into the wrong flight, and the (now two) attendants refused to try to get me on board. This was the last flight out to DC, and as a result I had to stay overnight in Houston. All told, it took me 26 hours to travel from PVR to DC, entirely due to United's incompetence and non-existent communications. A true nightmare.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by M Hux    (USA)

R/T Portland to London Heathrow via Chicago. The outbound leg on antique 757 and 767s made me long for the good old days of air travel circa 1995. Far more comfortable than the return leg on brand new 777 and A320s. The older aircraft had wider seats and the flight from Chicago to London was less than half full so I had a full row to myself. The newer aircraft were, by comparison, more cramped, had uncomfortable seats and were completed packed, per the norm. The seat back entertainment systems were non-functional. Food was ok. Nothing special but edible. Flights were on time. Overall a satisfactory experience given that the airfare was a bargain.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by B Toone    (USA)

Just got hosed by United's new international luggage policy. Flew from US to Grand Cayman Island last week. No longer do they allow the usual 1 checked bag free which is the standard on international travel. $25 for my wife's bag and $25, not overweight, not oversized, just a regular bag. Seems now any checked bag now is charged for shorter international flights. Plus to make matters worse, for some bizarre reason Grand Cayman will not let you go through security with a fly rod despite having flown all around the world with one and no problem from any other security. So now this has to be checked which becomes a 2nd checked bag at $40. $40 for a couple 30" long by 1 1.2" diameter tubes taped together! At least that one was only on the return leg. I travel a lot and while I cant say I will never fly United again since there are limited options anymore but it will flat out have to be my only option to a place I really want to go to. They even require you to pay if you wanted to watch the flight information screen which is just a GPS screen with a plane drawn on it showing where you are on a map! They have always been bad, now they are abusive.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by K Smith    (USA)

July 21st 2014 on UAL Flight 111. As a general fact, I like United Airlines. I liked Continental a lot, so United, when acting under the Continental side, is wonderful. However, I got a bit more "tulip" and less "globe" on my flight from Miami to Newark. The check-in and gate agents were wonderful as usual, but the flight was delayed two hours before taking off from Miami. I completely understand this, but I feel that more could have been done to get on the plane sooner. I cannot complain about the seats, they were comfortable and made of leather (or a similar material). However, I was appaled by the lack of entertainment. To a completely literal extent the options consisted of SkyMall, United's horrifically boring magazine, and the one radio station I could hear, which seemed to be an 80's synth station. There was no Wifi, no plugs, and no TVs, not even one. I believe this is a remnant of United. I flew the same route on Continental in 2010 and I received sufficient television programming. If I'm flying in and out of Newark, a former Continental hub, I deserve Continental service. Let Chicagoans keep their United, I'll keep my Continental.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Taynton Stephen    (China)

I flew from Sky Harbour to San Francisco for a connecting flight to China. As per other American Airlines, United really is a cattle truck delivery. On both flights with United you had to check any items larger than a backpack at the gate, often by a grumpy employee. The flight was okay but the cabin attendant look like she was going out shopping for the day, United really lacks class on all level.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by O Hazan    (USA)

FRA to IAD in economy on February 27, 2015. This was a very smooth flight all around. Boarding was clear and orderly. Dinner was very good, as was the pre-landing snack, while the screens were not the biggest, the choice of entertainment was huge. The main differences between this flight and the tip-top level of service were the absence of warm towels, and the lack of juice service during the in-between hours. Those are trivial. United offers an excellent product, and the 777 is well maintained.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Gersten Zvia    (Canada)

2 weeks ago my husband and I went to New Zealand. For years we travelled with Air Canada or Air New Zealand and this last time we made a big mistake and decided to fly with United. We prolonged our arrival to Auckland by a few good hours but we would have co-oped with these extra hours had it not been for the awful time on the flight to and from Auckland. There is no room for peoples legs. This is a very long flight and airlines need to consider peoples health. The food was awful. Cold and not edible. The flight attendants beyond rude. I was shocked when 2 of them who could not decide if the liquid in the pots was tea or coffee simply removed the lids and put their noses in. When we got to Sydney Australia we embarked on an Air New Zealand flight to Auckland. What a huge difference. All of the sudden we could stretch our legs. The food was edible and the flight attendants were courteous. Going back home to Canada the experience repeated itself. We flew Air New Zealand to Sydney and everything was good and then hell repeated itself when we had to embark Untied from Sydney to Canada. My husband and I decided that never again will we fly United.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Celebon Charles Tarragano    (USA)

February 27th flight UA 836 from Shanghai to Chicago was delayed 1.5 hours, we got on the plane and were told that one of the radios was not working. After 2 hours the captain said that the flight was cancelled. I was sitting on the upper deck. When the flight crew were walking out of the flight deck they saw us all sitting and asked why were we still in our seats and did they not tell us that the flight was cancelled? We told them that no one made the announcement! Half an hour later the gate agent came in and told everyone in Chinese that the flight was cancelled, they repeated in English that we should get off take our bags and proceed to door number 24 near Burger King where there would be a bus to take us to the hotel. They did not say which hotel or which bus. Everyone was confused which way to go. After much shouting by the mob of passengers they lead us to passport control. We went through but could not find out how to get out of immigration. Together with another passenger, found gate number 24 but there were no people or buses. I found a United staff member who told us that the door had been changed to #23. We went out and there were 4 buses. No one knew what we were saying as they did not speak English. Luckily a Chinese woman came and we found the bus to learn that they were taking us to Sheraton 1 hour away. I decided to go to the Airport hotel which is in the terminal instead and pay out of pocket. They have arranged for the same plane to fly tomorrow at noon. This is an unscheduled flight. United really dropped the ball everyone was stranded with no direction or help.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by J Smith    (USA)

Terrible experience flying UA from SFO to IAD. Very poor customer service all along the continuum. First, my return seat assignment was changed from an aisle to middle seat without my knowledge (no one would correct the error by phone), then there was a 5 hour delay leaving SFO. Upon arrival at IAD we found our luggage had been loaded on a different plane that would not arrive at Dulles for another hour. Because of the 5-hour delay it was almost midnight at this point. The next day we had to go in search of our own luggage at the "lost luggage" distribution center. United Customer service staff was of no help. Talk about the unfriendly skies.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by F Thomas    (USA)

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Golly, how expensive would it be to let people watch the TV news on an all-day plane ride, or allow 'free' Wi-Fi which is free everywhere else in the western world? A few snacks, anything? Had a lovely cheerful flight attendant between San Francisco to Newark, but all the airline nickel-and-diming takes all the fun out of what used to be half the fun: getting there-or back. It's as though they hate their passengers and make the trips as miserable as possible, seats too narrow for a normal rear end, aisles two skeletons could not pass in, no place to put your legs if you have two, seats that recline an inch and a half, charges for even a small bag, everything. Back to cars and trains or staying home, I think, it is just too exhausting and annoying and expensive to fly anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Stevens    (USA)

My wife and I flew business/first class on United Airlines from Maui to Denver with a plane change in LAX. Our flight on 2/5/2015 from Maui to LAX was UA417, an ancient 757-200. We paid a total of $4,924.40 for two round trip tickets. Flight 417 was more like riding an old, dusty city bus. Keeping in mind that we were in first class, we were offered only a small bag of potato chips. That was it. We were told that there were no more snacks and we could have only one bag of chips. The flight attendants mainly sat in their jump seats the whole time just chatting or snoozing. The purser was pretty snotty when asked any questions. We had the old style seats that didn't recline much. And, beyond our belief, on the ongoing flight from LAX to DEN we had lay-flat beds. For a flight lasting less than two hours. We sure could have used those lay-flat beds for the over-ocean portion. We've avoided United for several years now, and from now on will continue to avoid them.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Formston    (Australia)

Recently flew from Sydney to the US on United and a bunch of internal flights within US and returning home on United. Read a lot of negative reviews about United before I travelled so was a bit sceptical about the whole experience. I'm an average meat and three veg type of guy, if I pay a beer price I don't expect to get Champagne service. Who does? I was more than happy with the service provided given the fares I paid. I recall only once one of the internal flights was delayed and it really wasn't a big deal. I would definitely fly with United again. I really think some people need to get a grip, they want silver service for bargain basement prices. You get what you pay for and I was more than happy with United. No hesitation to fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by B Doshi    (USA)

Travel from Newark to BOM direct and back Delhi to Newark direct. Paid for extra leg room but didn't feel much different. Food leaving Newark was good. On way back from India it was terrible. The veg breakfast was not edible. On return at Newark, they could not unload checked bags for over two hours. Those with connections missed them. No apologies were made or compensation provided. In the future, will prefer any other airline to United and are considering canceling our United credit card. Worst airline in business today.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Johnson    (Japan)

Flying UA in F (oxymoron alert) from ORD to NRT. Our 13-hour flight was delayed for three hours after we had boarded because of radio issues. About 30 minutes into the wait they opened up the main door, and with temps outside around zero the F cabin quickly became a freezer. I could actually see the breath of the pax in 4A. The cabin itself was tired and dirty, with tissues stuck between my seat and the wall. The toilet rubbish bin overflowed about halfway through the flight and was never emptied. The toilet seat was filthy by the end of the flight. WiFi was broken. On the bright side, the amenity kit comes with a United-branded ballpoint pen and comb. The food, apart from a cold but well-cooked tenderloin steak, was largely inedible. The “sausage” that came with the dry, crusty omelette was a hard brown puck of mystery meat. Food in ANA Y is far better. There was no wine list, because there were only four mediocre wines and some cheap sparkling in 375ml bottles. Service was not rude for the most part, but below economy standards on any Asian carrier. I had to wait 10 minutes to get a cup of dishwater coffee. When the woman seated next to me asked what the squid sushi was, the FA replied (with a smile, to be fair), “Don't ask me, I don't make it.”The shoulder harness that F pax are required to wear on takeoff and landing was extremely uncomfortable. When I remarked on this (politely and with a smile) to the FA while putting mine on, she patronizingly replied, “We can endure anything for a few minutes, Mr. Johnson.”Will never, ever fly United long-haul again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Mews Tom    (USA)

I have flown United my whole life. It had been ten years since I had flown. This last week we flew from the mid west to the pacific coast using nothing but United. It's natural to have delays from weather related issues, but We didn't have any to worry about. What has completely destroyed my desire to fly anywhere again is the complete lack of planning, customer service and treatment from all the personnel we had contact with. Our delays, service, and vacation was substandard because we chose this airline. I will not recommend this airline to anyone.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by A Malman    (USA)

Overall based on a round-trip flight between IAD and SFO I would give United 0 stars. On the outbound leg, there was a medical emergency on-board and the United flight crew was totally unprepared to handle the situation. If a medical kit was on-board, it wasn't made available to the medical personnel who tried to provide assistance and it took 15 minutes for the Flight attendant to bring a wet towel to help cool the patient down. Our return flight was delayed by almost 5 hours with not even "we apologize" for the delay from United. Then our bags were placed on a different flight that didn't arrive until 1 hours after our flight and the bags didn't show up at the airport until 4 hours after we landed. Again no apologies from United. then we got numerous texts from United about the status of our bags. One even claimed the bags arrived at IAD 2 hours before we did. Most of the customer support folks at the Baggage Claim customer support were surly and not the kind of people who should be working in customer support.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

SFO-HND/NRT-SFO in First. The outbound flight was so not First Class. The crew never addressed anyone by name-I think there were 6 of us and when my aisle mate had trouble finding the chest belt, the FA motioned and pointed rather than walking to the seat to assist. The dinner was OK but there was no style in its presentation-or of any of the meal. The crew was present when necessary but had no real interaction with any passengers that I observed. The breakfast was insipid. Again poorly presented, eggs lukewarm and the potato patty was soggy and blah as was the some-kind-of sausage patty. All in all, it was a simply so far off the "First Class" moniker that I arrived feeling nothing but annoyance. The return from Narita was much better. United still lacks any sense of presentation or style but the crew was friendly, present and engaged. The meals were both better than those on the inbound, more tasty and hot, but still far off the mark that is achieved by other airlines, not only in First but even in Business. I used miles but had I paid the full freight, I would have been furious at what was delivered. I will give UA credit for its hard product. The seat is comfortable and has plenty of storage area and the IFE is good.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by C Geurts    (Canada)

From the moment we tried to check in at the Spokane Airport until our return from Costa Rica a week later, we felt like we were just a major inconvenience to the entire Airline. At check in the staff member rolled her eyes while informing us we were in the wrong line and it went downhill from there. No smiles, no greetings, no nothing - flight crew were grumpy, and detached. When I asked what was on their food menu for purchase, another roll of the eyes and was informed it was in the book in front of me. Leaving the plane you could almost hear the flight crew heave a sigh of relief the flight was over and they were rid of us, the entire plane load. We were pried into our seats with a shoe horn and never in all my travels have I felt so claustrophobic - the 3 hour leg of the trip was almost unbearable to sit through. No leg room, small seating and the person ahead of me nearly had his head in my lap when reclining. Given a choice, this would be an airline choice of last resort.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Sarah Kiarie    (USA)

I recently flew from Indiana to Kansas City with a connection in Chicago. My flight from IN to Chicago was delayed by two hours causing me to miss my connection and stay another night. The staff at the ticket counter were very rude and not helpful at all. The next day my flight from Chicago to KS was delayed again because of another plane coming late. Two and a half hours later we finally take off. All the staff can say is sorry for the delay. Needless to say, I will never fly with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by A Clark    (USA)

Chicago to St. Louis round-trip. All flights were on time with friendly service. Midday in Chicago, I cleared security in 10 minutes. Mobile boarding pass is very helpful. Boarding was quick and easy. Flight operated by Shuttle America E-170. The plane was very comfortable with lots of legroom in standard economy. I am 6' and had no problem. Return was equally as easy. St. Louis security very quick. This flight was operated by Trans State ERJ- 145. It was fine for the hour flight, but anything longer would have been unpleasant. Narrow seats and aisle, less legroom, low ceiling, seats falling apart, very loud engines and lots of turbulence. Flight attendant very nice. Arrived 20 minutes early. The cost was definitely worth it over driving or amtrak given the punctuality. No inflight entertainment was offered on either flight, which is fine for such short flights. I arrived an hour be fore both flights, but could have got there much later. I recommend United, and usually don't have issues with them, and plan to fly them, again in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Paterson    (USA)

AUS-IAH-LGA in F. First segment on a new E175 in Economy Plus. Actually really surprised at the comfort of the seat despite all the negative press about the new Slimline product. Of course this flight was only about 30 minutes but for a regional hop not bad at all. Continuing segment was on A319 in F. Seat was moderately comfortable but pitch was lacking and by the end of this 3 hour flight I was definitely eager to deplane. Service was attentive and professional however and drinks were consistently refilled. Food could have been better but what else is new. Overall, I was pleased with this journey and despite being loyal to AA would consider UA again if traveling to one of their hub cities.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Vitalij Zabelo    (Lithuania)

I have no idea why they call travelling United "flying the friendly skies". I have not seen even one friendly FA during my two flights. During SJU-EWR leg we weren't even greeted while boarding the plane. It felt like a sarcastic joke when they showed a safety video at the beginning of the flight with smiling crew greeting you, since all you see on board is sad, tired, unprofessional crew. The flight was 90 minutes late due to an electronic glitch in one of the plane's systems. Even though many were going to miss their connections in FRA there were no apologies given - just a statement of facts. Pilot announcements consisted of mumbling something intelligible into a PA system couple of times and when it was brought to the attention of a FA she responded "Oh yes, I know, I could not understand him either". Thirdly, it is a meal service. Food itself was inedible, but this is a common trend of many airlines, so I did not have any expectation in regards. The main issue was what they call service on board United, or total lack of it. There were no smiles, no "enjoy your meal", no "what would you like", just appalling "what do you want" and throwing it at your table - truly "the friendly sky"! There was a row and a half of passengers forgotten during the beverage service and FA had to be reminded to serve us some drinks. I understand mistakes and miscommunication may happen, but a little "sorry" would be the right word to say. There were none! And lastly is the seat comfort. I understood that new United modus operandi of the economy class is to squeeze you towards the back of the plane into old uncomfortable seats with no leg room (in which no one should be allowed legally to seat for more than 2 hours) so you would spend a hundred or so bucks for the Economy Extra next time you fly with them. I also, however, do believe that even the most affordable on-board service class should include some basics of travel and hospitality: decent amount of leg room (not extra, but just sufficient), acceptable service and a friendly crew. Anything beyond that should be considered extra and come for a price, of course, that customer will chose to pay or not. Since United has obviously different point of view in this regard, I will avoid flying them next time.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Bankston    (USA)

Houston to Narita and Narita to Houston - dirty plane, restrooms not cleaned during the flight, and staff could learn how to serve with a smile from almost every Asian airline. Only positive was the flights were on time. We should not be treated like cattle and rude attendants who complained about the merger of two airlines rather than even attempting to serve the passengers. Oh and the meals were 1/2 the quality of ANA, Delta, Air France or KLM.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Robert Mroz    (USA)

Up at 3 am for a 6 am flight from Buffalo to Miami with stop in Newark. Buffalo to Newark bathrooms on plane out of order. They were to tell us before we boarded but did not. Arrive Newark 8 minutes late. First ones off aircraft, onto shuttle at terminal "A" to terminal "C". Race through airport no time for bathroom stop, arrive gate to be told they sold our seats. They had to know we were on the flight because they had our luggage. Very angry workers directed me to service desk where they booked us on a flight 12 hours later to Miami where we had to pay for another hotel for a night because the car rental company that we booked through was closed. The plane was still at the gate while we were making other arrangements. I am a frequent flyer and will now utilize another airline.

SJU-EWR-FRA. First leg in the Economy Plus seat located next to a toilet with a broken door that would not close by itself - very annoying. Inhospitable, apathetic crew. No greetings, no smiles, robotic service. EWR departure 2 hours late. No apologies, just stating the fact. Old cramped seats, filthy toilets, nasty food, no complimentary alcoholic beverages, unfriendly, incompetent, under-trained crew with same "we do not care" attitude on EWR-FRA leg. Why they call themselves "flying the friendly skies" is still a mystery to me! In general, if United domestic service is bad, its transatlantic one is just appalling. I wonder how they manage to compete with other airlines and still sell their tickets, since there are so many choices now. I would never recommend this airline to anyone!

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by R Shankar    (Australia)

Recently flew from Boston to San Francisco on a 757. First at the check in where Star Alliance Gold Passengers have to pay for an extra bag. Then to the lounge - dirty and too full. Then onboard - crew so grumpy and super senior rude crew. Very limited service and no smiles at all. Crew just wanted to get their job done so they could chat amongst themselves at the back of the Y class cabin. Honestly I dread flying this airline - UA has to be the worst airline in the Star Alliance. SQ, TG, NH, TK please teach them how to serve their customers better!

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew IAH-DEN-IAH on A320 last week and we had the Personal Entertainment Option (Beta). I guess after Beta unfortunately we have to pay for that too. Both flights on time and nothing to complain about.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Erich Struzyk    (USA)

I have been a loyal UA Mileage Plus customer since 1984. On my last flight from FLL to SFO (Flight 1645 on 2/1/2015) I was not admitted into the FLL Lounge - despite me having presented a very valid UA Club Pass, which I received last week in relation to my new Chase MP Explorer Visa Card. Even the remark that I travel on First Class did nothing. The lady in the lounge claimed that the United Passes I got from Chase were falsified! They were not as UA customer service later confirmed. The flight itself was a horrible experience: None of very old blue leather seats in First Class reclined. There were no foot-rest (which is standard even in many Economy Classes around the world - for example on Turkish Airlines). The United First Class Seat was at least 30 years old, with a sealed armrest ashtray. The food was horrible and cold and a stewardess did not know the difference between white wine and champagne. The Video system on my seat had no audio. The much touted "Wi-Fi” did not work - I could not connect. I conveyed to UAL that they should not use such equipment on long-haul flights. The flight in First (which really was not a First Class experience at all) cost me 50.000 Miles. I will frequent other airlines from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Downing Rupert    (Canada)

FRA-ORD-LAX-OGG. All flights were in clean planes with enough legroom (I've 183cm of height). IFE on international SEA-IAH-LIM return. This was a good trip outbound in business class. The lie flat seats in the B767s on the Lima leg were excellent, crews were attentive. My wife broke her leg in Peru so we had a medically assisted evacuation back and the service was excellent, wheelchairs, attendants, etc. all good.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by S Jansen    (Germany)

FRA-ORD-LAX-OGG. All flights were in clean planes with enough legroom (I've 183cm of height). IFE on international flights depends on the aircraft, but on B777 and B767-400 its working well with a good choice of movies. Staff friendly (with one exception), food compared to other airlines (e. g. Lufthansa) much better. We missed our flight in ORD due to a 45min-delay in FRA for which United was not responsible. We could Hotel vouchers in Chicago, flew to LAX and OGG the following day and arrived in Maui about 20hrs late. OK, we missed one day in Maui, but we got compensation (350USD for each passenger).

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Mohammad Afsar    (USA)

Frequent flyer here. Worst flight experience I have had. Flight was supposed to be 53 minutes long. Got 44 minutes delayed due to late arrival of the plane. After boarding, 15 minutes delay due to "technical difficulties". Smallest plane I've been in. Even though I wasn't planning on checking in my backpack, the plane was so small that most passengers had to give their carry on luggage to the flight attendants to pick up from the luggage claim later. After landing (59 minutes after we were supposed to), the baggage claim carousel wasn't turned on until 35 minutes later! 2 other flights' passengers have landed after us, collected their luggage from the carousel next to ours, and left. Finally, 40 minutes after landing (which is unusual for a domestic flight at a small airport), they started providing our luggage. The only good part about the whole flight was the behaviour of the pilot and the attendant. My ride was waiting outside for an hour and a half and I was extremely embarrassed. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by P Kerins    (Canada)

Recently travelled from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver on 2 different United Airline flights. I have never complained to an airline before about leg room until now and have been travelling since 1976. If you tried to seat your pet into an area as small, I think you would be answering to a higher authority. That's how bad it is folks! They actually allow passengers to recline their seats during the flights so you know the rest of the story!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2015 by Tom Wooge    (USA)

In-flight service is long out the window, video entertainment is endless infomercials and the last scraps of legroom have vanished into thin air. On a recent full flight from Newark to Los Angeles a new super skinny seating was encountered that climbs to a whole new altitude of pain and suffering. When reputable airlines change to slim seats, the airline gets more seats on the plane and passengers get a bit more legroom, but at United, this would never fly. United, now using Continentals short-haul 737-900s on long-haul routes, has extra extra seats that don’ t quite fit. To make passable exit row clearance, seats behind are compacted to even less than their typical 30-inch seat pitch on this aircraft - less than the 31-inches specified for many other flights - and much less than the 32-inches United advertises when selling economy seats. My seat had only 2-feet clear butt-to-shin with perhaps an additional 4-inch knee-high seatback thickness - probably a 28-inch pinch - or less! When the passenger in front tried repeatedly to recline - there being no extra room, it was impossible. The passenger drew a cabin attendant to complain that I would not allow the seat to recline. The attendant seriously explained to me that the passenger had purchased a ticket entitling them to my leg space and may fully recline the seat. Unfazed, the attendant told me that if I wanted extra legroom, I should have purchased an“Economy-Plus” seat. I asked how much it would cost, but there were no free seats - at any price. I explained that I did not need extra legroom, just sufficient room - which they were not providing. Not reconciled to the laws of physics, the attendant continued insisting that this was all my fault - that I was taking up space that I was not entitled to - and had me turn sideways, putting my knees in the aisle so the seat could recline. My shoulder was now in the way of the seat. I could not turn back either, and complained that the vending carts would hurt my legs even more than the seatback. Only then did the attendant finally suggest that the other passenger switch seats with their adjacent small child. For $25 a luggage bag had more space than me - and was treated much better!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2015 by C Copeland    (USA)

My family and I flew United for the last time over the holidays. We bought tickets the previous March in order to get direct flights to the west coast and seats together. We chose to fly out of Logan - very inconvenient for us, but the only airport offering a direct flight. A few weeks before our trip, we received an email telling us that our flights had all been changed. Now, we were leaving hours earlier, getting in hours later, with stopovers both ways. These flights were on Christmas day and New Year's Eve - clearly, a few hours made a huge difference. Also, our seats were no longer together. I will never fly United again. Customer service is terrible.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by L Singleton    (USA)

Never again will my family and I fly with United Airlines! We flew in from Sacramento to San Fran and we missed the connecting flight to Hawaii because of their delays. We had to wait 2 hours then fly up to Seattle and then to Hawaii which made a 5 hour flight over 6 hours! On the way back from Hawaii we had a flight connecting us from LAX to Sacramento but missed it once more because we were sitting on the Tarmac for 40 minutes doing nothing. There were no more flights to SAC so we had to spend the night in LA. My husband, 2 sons and I are now missing work, and my 2 other children are missing school. Missing the flight once was bad enough but a second one is totally unacceptable. Both times the planes we needed to get on were sitting there and we were only late by minutes and they wouldn't let us on. We missed a whole day in Hawaii because of it. Also on the flight with UN from Hawaii to LA there was no complimentary food.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by I Williams    (Switzerland)

London to Costa Rica via Newark. Check in was quick and efficient. flight to Newark left on time and we landed 20 minutes early. The 777 was clean, well equipped and comfortable. In Flight service excellent and food and drinks plentiful and good, including the ice cream and caramel that was very impressive. Transit through Newark was somewhat long but that is nothing to do with the airline. Flight Newark to Costa Rica was on time. Aircraft was a 737 of some age but the seat was fine and the crew excellent again. Food and drinks again good for a short haul flight. So my experience of United was a good experience and well worth trying as the tickets are good value and extremely competitive against other carriers.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J Clifford    (USA)

MDT-IAD-LAS-ORD-MDT. Other than the leg from Dulles to Vegas the trip was largely a non-event. Even that leg the only real complaints I have is that it (B-737) was fully booked, and the WiFi system on the plane was spotty. I do not recommend paying for the on-board WiFi systems until you've spent some time in the 'complimentary' area to make sure the system is working properly. The MDT-Dulles leg was a 25-minute trip not especially worth discussing. The Embraer 145 is a nice little plane, the single-seat arrangement on the one side of the cabin does make a nice opportunity to get both a window and aisle seat. LAS-ORD was aboard an older 757. Seats were more comfortable than the 737, but in-flight entertainment was limited to basically an old Discovery Channel program on overhead CRTs. On the other hand, it was free, so I guess you get what you pay for. This plane was also fully booked, but got lucky with a smaller woman in the center seat. ORD-MDT was aboard an A-319. Seats were comfortable. Inflight entertainment was available over a wi-fi connection to my tablet. Worked like a charm. Large selection of programming. Plane was about 80% booked, and I got lucky with an empty center seat. On all 4 legs, cabin crew was attentive and reasonably pleasant. Flights were on time, or at least close enough that I had no trouble making connections. Notes: Bring a tablet or something to occupy yourself with. When the in-flight entertainment is right, it works well. When it's not, you'll be twiddling your thumbs without some way of entertaining yourself for hours. Do use the United app. Having the boarding pass on the smart phone - and getting all the necessary updates through the app - made things easier. It worked reasonably well. When traveling within the US (on any airline), don't go non-stop coast to coast. 5 hours on a fully-loaded plane is miserable (and, lets face it, they're all close to fully loaded today). An hour layover in some place in the middle is now a welcome respite, and no longer a nuisance. Be prepared for delays. Stuff happens on every airline - mechanical and weather. My reading of the other reviews complaining about United strike me as largely problems that every airline is guilty of in some way, shape or form. It is simply the reality of airline flight in 2014. Airline travel just isn't what it was 20 years ago, when the planes were half full, so there was more room, and the cabin crew was not so rushed.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Epstein Dominique    (France)

Flight 914 from CDG to MCI with connection at Washington Dulles, on Jan 14, in Economy class. The product featured by United is sub-standard. Of course, ageing aircraft in the main leg (767) is clean and well maintained, and this is the minimum you can expect from one of the largest airlines in the world. Check-in, boarding operations, baggage, everything ok. Seats are standard. VOD is poor, with very limited options, and not user friendly. The music program was out of order for this flight, and films not plenty. Besides, on individual screens, maps are not detailed, and this system is less advanced than 20 years ago (I am not joking) in Asian companies. Also, flight information is given exclusively in feet, inches, miles, just if the metric system does not exist in the rest of the world! Regarding meals, they are almost edible. We had chicken with some sauce (more sweet than sour), a large salad with a too smallish cup of dressing (good), and a kind of sponge cake pompously christened crumble – wrapped in a cello paper, printed European quality, but made in Alabama. All in a very small slippy tray, complimented with picnic cutlery (100% plastic). And, of course, passengers have to pay 7.99 $ for one beer. Ridiculous. By the way, a sandwich (not bad) was served before landing, but do not expect more than water between meal and snack. Fruit juices, ice creams and other open bar is a dream out of reach at United. Attitude of cabin crew very professional (attendants have apparently about 20/25 years experience), working efficiently but not cheerful (friendly skies, really?), in very bland uniforms which could be copied from Railways of the 70’ Being familiar with Asian and Middle East airlines, I find United well below what you may expect from such a large corporation.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by R Cahill    (USA)

United Premium Economy is a gamble, it seems to be directly dependent on the type of aircraft you are flying. On a 777 the seats are nice and spacious, the services (seatback entertainment) are premium and you can really feel the extra legroom making the extra charge totally worthwhile. On a 747 the opposite is true, I had more room in Economy on an Airbus than I did in Premium Economy on a 747. On the 747 I couldn't even fit my very small backpack under the seat in front of me and what little legroom I had was obstructed by a large piece of plastic. The aisles were noticeably narrower as well, which made every beverage service an exercise in getting smacked with a cart (not fun on a 13 hour flight). I did notice there was an extra seat in every row on the 747, which is probably were all that extra room went. Also relying on the old school movie screens meant that even if you were trying to sleep a bright light was shining in your face. On the bright side as always the crew were nice, courteous and professional. Long story short though? If you're going to spring for the Economy Plus make sure you're on the right type of plane, it makes a big difference.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by L Lloyd    (USA)

I flew to London on the so called "Dreamliner". United is so bad, they have now changed out the seats in coach to the same tiny seats for short commuter flights. United plus is not a better seat or service, just more leg room which is the least of the issues unless your over 6 feet tall. Beer and Wine are now $7 each! They are free on European airlines with more comfortable seats. I used to be bothered when they cancelled direct flights from Houston to Paris. Now I don't have to chose between United and Air France!

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Alison Pockat    (USA)

We had truly horrible service from the first flight out to the last flight of the return trip. United booked us to fly into Newark to connect with a flight out of JFK - we got the joy of finding this out when we checked in. On the return flight from Zurich, the cabin crew announced that they were short staffed due to management cut- backs. Translation, in our case where we were seated near the rear of the plane, is that we got one small sandwich six hours into the flight. I would have killed for a glass of water and maybe some food. Then our connecting flight to Raleigh was cancelled due to 'weather' and therefore we were responsible for our own sleeping arrangements. The 'weather' in Raleigh was drizzle. Our bags went American and arrived on time. A complaint to United was not even met with an apology. Instead they offered of a $100 voucher for future travel with them!

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Alex Ross    (Uzbekistan)

I try to avoid flying United when I can but as I was with Continental I sort of inherited their frequent flyer program. So my review is of a recent flight this last summer but also of their frequent flyer plan which unless you are a Business flyer, I would avoid. It's almost impossible to move up to Gold with them. I flew 50K miles, flew on them 4 times but failed to spend 5000 dollars on their tickets because I live overseas and usually fly Turkish and claim the miles because I thought they were in the same alliance which it turns out isn't really true - at least not for United. The flight we took was from London to Houston. Cancelled because it's United and we were placed on a flight to NYC in an effort to get us to a flight that connected to Texas which we missed so then they put us on a flight to Chicago so that they wouldn't have to pay for a Hotel etc ad nauseam. Funnily enough our flight back to London from Texas had one leg cancelled because it's United and they told us to drive from Austin to Houston but that's another story altogether. The plane we were on from London to NYC was just about clean enough, my gluten free meal was gone because it's United (My flight had been cancelled and my meal with it) and the entertainment system was down because, it's United. Needless to say I am now with the FF program of Turkish Airlines and will never fly United again unless it's impossible due to US monopolistic practices. Don't fly United.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2015 by A Chung    (USA)

LAX-MEL - B787-8 - Overall a good flight. Equipment changed from a B787-9 to a B787-8. Not too disappointed since it was still a Dreamliner, but the change to the smaller aircraft had the consequence that a baby was moved from the forward business class to the 3 Business rows in the mid-section. A baby on 16 hrs flight - not recommended. Flight departed from LAX 1.5 hr late. Basically waited on board for 1.5 hrs. Everyone had already boarded so we were in this plane for at least 17 hrs. Flight uneventful, new Dreamliner is a really great airplane, large windows, very airy cabin. Seat is good except that not every seat has direct aisle access. Inflight Entertainment great, good selection of movies, TV shows. Service was attentive (above usual United average), Food was decent. Unfortunately United does not supply their Business customers with Fast passes for Melbourne Airport Immigration, so waited almost 1 hr to get through on top of the 1.5 hr delay. All in all a great plane and can recommend if you are traveling to Melbourne.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by S Isom    (USA)

I am currently sitting on the flight that was supposed to depart at 6.05 am from NY to Dayton. It is 6.40 am and we have not taken off. We have been sitting on the plane for almost an hour due to "maintenance issues." I am not going to make my connection and this is after the exact same issue on the flight I took to NY. I was sceptical to book a flight with United based on anecdotal experience with friends and family, but now I am experiencing it first hand on both legs of the trip. The first flight of the day and it is delayed? It is evident how United does business. By the way, no word on when we are leaving.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by T Mastomaki    (USA)

UA163, GUM-ICN, 1/5/2015. We sat in the airplane 1.5 hours before departure, due to a missing logbook. Add 5.5 hours to destination, makes 7 hours total time in ac. Breakfast was served, it was small and below standard. Flight attendants were hard to find for any extra drinks. 2.5 hours prior to destination, captain turned on fasten seat belts sign due to turbulence, hence terminating inflight service. There was no turbulence, we were on top of the cloud layer. There was no turbulence during descent as well. I feel the seat belt sign was turned on to avoid further service to passengers. Inflight entertainment was poor quality. The small movie screen had continuous static, making it impossible to watch.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Andrew Gibson    (USA)

MAN to EWR RT BusinessFirst. I have been a loyal CO customer for about 20 years and have tried so hard to like the new United but my patience has definitely worn out. The service inboard is simply too hit or miss and, increasingly, miss. The FA's treat passengers like a necessary evil to be served minimally and with zero smiles or grace. The service is functional at best and once completed the FAs hide behind the curtain. Worst still their planes are already showing signs of ageing - on the outbound flight my moms seat reclined minimally and then jammed so she had to spend the rest of the flight bolt upright (she refused to switch with me). Notably the same seat was still broken 10 days later when she took the same flight home on, clearly, the same plane. Crew were indifferent to the seat problem. BA and Delta both have far more dependably good service and UA has simply stopped trying. I did a DL Gold status match for 2015 so will ditch UA after all these years. Shame but they just don't deserve my business anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Michel Perrin    (Brazil)

IAH-GIG-B767/400. In the morning, on United Airlines on-line check-in I could see that Aircraft would not be a 777 but a 767. At night , on departure, mess was absolute. Seats had been re-marked separating couples, etc.. Departure was delayed 2 hours due to Cargo issues resulting of Aircraft change (which was NOT unexpected). Late 1h45 mn at arrival in Rio. No Amenities pouch (why?). Unacceptable food for International Business class: Ugly and dry. Overcooked. IFE was the same as 2 months before. How ? Seat remains flat and comfortable. FA's tried their best, but passengers were upset.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Marcus Nyberg    (Sweden)

Dallas - New York - Stockholm. I have previously promised to never fly United again after a couple of extremely poor flight and customer care experiences. Now I end up on two United flights once again because that seemed to be the only option. This time the experience was slightly better. The staff is still a bit grumpy, the entertainment system is below average, the food is among the worst I have had in the air, and the check-in processes are a bit strange. Nevertheless, I ended up coming home on time without being too frustrated!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Knut Lind    (Norway)

Flying now United Airlines round the world starting from Europe. Never again on a UA flight unless it is the last choice. They started me on a feeder flight from Oslo to Frankfurt only to tell me that they pushed me 24 hours on their flight to Chicago, because they simply cancelled the flight that day. I did not accept and got across with Air Canada, but ended in Toronto rather than USA. Had 5 internal flights in the US, scheduled time seems an approximate time, not a target for UA. I boarded in Washington on UA803 via Japan with same flight number going to Singapore. After boarding we sat excess 1,5 hours in the plane awaiting for UA to finish their maintenance. Arrived Tokyo only about 40 minutes late, but was told too late to board the 803 flight to Singapore. On arrival I had a good 30 minutes and only hand luggage. Tough luck, same flight number means 2 different airplanes on the two legs, and no margin to be late crossing the Pacific. 6 hours waiting with shifting to Haneda. Business class and Star Alliance Gold card means nothing to UA's level of service. Never UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Reynold Bryan    (USA)

I flew from San Francisco to Managua and the overall value and service was typical for United. United has the worst food and in-flight entertainment in the industry. The flight attendants want to serve you food immediately after the flight begins so they can chatter in the forward and rear galleys of the airplane. Low fat potato chips and cookies are not a snack they are the lowest cost food options that you can offer your customers. United Airlines overall is of the worst carriers for inflight services in the airline industry. I was in Business/First and they wanted me to pay for both the internet and DirectTV, why don't you just consider me a customer that hates your airlines and that will avoid you at all costs.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Daniel W MacDonald    (UK)

Newark to Fort Lauderdale on 13th January 2015. Flight on time and aircraft clean. Decent seats with good legroom in premium economy. What lets them down in the complete disinterest and discourtesy of their staff, from check in and throughout the journey. No smiles, no interaction, no welcome on boarding, just generally no customer interaction at all. I am a silver member and frequent flier with BA and their staff are far far superior in terms of customer interaction at all points in the journey. Overall not a bad airline at all, they just don't live up to their logo "Fly the friendly skies".

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-SEA-SFO. A320 + B737/900. Late on departure in both cases. On time at arrival in both cases. No frills. Check- in smooth and as an alliance gold no baggage cost.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by R Muldowney    (USA)

Every flight I was booked on today was late or canceled. I am sure the airlines would say not our fault, but it was late planes. Mechanical failures that blocked gates. First officers that don't show up and scratches on the bottoms of wings that mysteriously grow while the FO can't be located. Two guys booked on the flight decided to drive to Indy because it would be faster than flying. Not a ringing endorsement.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Erez Hartal    (USA)

TLV-ORD via EWR business first. Comfortable seat and was able to sleep for 7 hours. Dinner OK, good entree, nice service. Seats flat and convenient. Breakfast OK. Catering could be better, but reasonable. Staff constantly in cabin during dinner and breakfast. Liked catering on Austrian and Turkish better. EWR United club, nice showers and service from club staff, but mediocre offering of snacks.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by John Doig    (UK)

EDI-EWR, UA37 on B757-200 aircraft on the last day of 2014. (Part of a ‘P’fare booking EDI/EWR/PBI and return). Checked-in at the dedicated business class desk, and was advised that UAL use the ‘Aspire’ lounge at EDI. The lounge was fine with a reasonable selection of food items for a snack breakfast. Flights are not called from the lounge. Boarding appeared to be well managed, a number of supplementary security / travel questions were asked by an agent at the gate. Once onboard a welcome drink of champagne juice or water was offered. There is a 2-2 flatbed seat configuration in Business Class. The seat was comfortable with plenty of space and easy-to-use chair and In Flight Entertainment controls. The plane Departed on time at 09.05. On board service began roughly 45 minutes after departure. The main meal was lunch followed by a snack prior to arrival at EWR. In my opinion this is where UAL need to put more thought into what is offered. In view of the time of day, prior to 10.00, a full breakfast or brunch rather than a lunch might have been a better catering option? The service from flight attendants was efficient although some of them appeared to be a bit tired looking. Small touches such as addressing passengers by name were absent on this flight. This was done on the inbound UA36, EWR-EDI, 8 Jan 15 in comparison. The flight arrived at EWR around 35minutes ahead of schedule, this was partly due to an on board medical emergency situation. Overall, the flight was a pleasant and efficient experience. I would use UAL again in Business Class subject to obtaining a fare at a suitable price!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-IAH, B767-300. Seat broken, not inclining. No advise at check-in, that would allow a change before upgrade list to be activated. Lounge as a nice view but nothing to eat, and bar is paid. Went to Singapore Airlines one. Much better.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by E Maassen    (USA)

This was my first and last time flying with United. I am a frequent Delta and Southwest traveler and was beyond disappointed with my experience on United. Our second flight was cancelled and it took someone over 15 minutes to inform us of this cancellation-additionally, I was not notified via their app about this cancellation. It was 10am and they claimed they had no way to get us home that day, unless we spent $80 to take a shuttle to another airport and then took two more flights from there. They then charged us three times for our bags. Overall (not including the two extra bag charges), this cost us an additional $180 and they refused to pay for a cent. I will never fly this airline again. Also, as a side note, as we spent the entire day in the airport, we noticed that they overbooked every single flight, some flights were overbooked by more than 10 people! Terrible airline-poor customer service and extra fees for everything (snacks, bags, television, etc.)

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Aliza Panjwani    (USA)

On our way back from Cancun, we had a stopover in Houston. The flight from Cancun was delayed 1.5 hrs, leaving us under 40 minutes to go through customs, re-check our bags, and get to a different gate in another terminal. We did not make our connecting flight. Along the way, there were no helpful attendants and no actions taken to give us even a fighting chance to get to our gate. They attendants on the plane had no information about gates, connecting flights, or any other helpful info. We missed our connecting flight to New York. We kept getting sporadic, ever- changing alert texts from United. Sometimes the flight was delayed by 2 hours and then reverted back to half an hour. We did not received a comped hotel and had to spend additional money staying the night at Houston. We were re-booked onto a flight the next day at 10.21 am. We arrived at the airport approximately two hours before the flight. Tthe flight was delayed 54 minutes and would now be departing at 11.15am. Shortly after, we were told that the flight was delayed for 2.5 hours, departing at 12.45pm. Having been up and at the airport since early morning, we were famished. We decided to use the restrooms and grab a quick bite to eat as we had a 4-5 hour flight ahead of us. In that extremely brief time, the flight time was reverted to 11 am. We received the notification at 10.30. After the flight was delayed 2.5 hours, we made the rational decision to eat something in the meanwhile. Does United expect that it's customers not get up from their seats to relieve themselves, get a drink of water, or a quick bite to eat after having waited at the airport for so long? We missed our connecting flight again due to incompetence and poor customer service. We immediately went to an agent where we again received attitude and condescending lectures. I travel back and forth from the United States just to Canada alone at least 7x (round trip) a year. We recommend you stay away from this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by S Politis    (UK)

I was astonished that 3 out of 4 flights of my honeymoon were delayed. In fact 2 of the delayed flights were more than 2 hours delayed. We flew 28th May 2014, LHR-SFO which was on time where we were supposed to catch a flight to HNL. The HNL flight was over an hour late in departure. On our return trip on 18th June 2014 the HNL-IAD flight was more than 2 hours late, and the connecting flight to LHR on 19th June was boarded, then disembarked as the plane was faulty - and we ended up with a 3 hour delay. No one at the airline seemed particularly bothered or apologetic.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Johnson Tammy    (USA)

Flew from San Diego to Mobile. On all 4 flights they didn't have my husband and I sitting together. We talked to customer service at both airports and they refused to make any changes unless we paid $59 to upgrade to an extra leg room seat. To add insult to injury you have to pay for your luggage, pay for the direct TV, pay for any snacks - not even a peanut for free.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Jonas Hutter    (Germany)

FRA-EWR-PHX-EWR-ZRH. FRA-EWR on old 767-300 with a tiny little screen in front of you that shows some movies on channels. Own earphones did not work. Plane very loud. However, seat quite comfortable, very nice cabin crew and good and tasty food. Legroom officially at 31in. but feels bigger than on transatlantic BA or AF. Brought my own entertainment, so I had an excellent flight (should have brought earplugs though). EWR-PHX on newly refurbished A319 with slimline seats. Again lots of legroom even for me (6'6" / 2m) and again no IFE but wifi available. But again a nice crew with two full drink runs (alcohol for purchase) and some walk throughs with water. PHX-EWR on 737-700 also with new interior and AVOD. However, this is provided by DirecTV, cost is $5.99 for flight of two hours or less and $7.99 for flight of more than 2 hours. Sadly, even the flight information part is enclosed here, so you don't see it unless you pay for it. Again two drink runs and good service by nice flight crew. Of the four planes on this trip this one had the worst legroom but still OK. EWR-ZRH on 767-400. Old plane with brand new interior - and a good one at that. Slimline seats with a big screen in front of you, a large choice of new movies, games and shows. Legroom again very good, the 31in. at United appear to be bigger inches than those on other airlines. Tasty dinner and small breakfast (with fresh fruit!). After reading many bad reviews, I had mixed feelings about stepping into a United plane. I even considered doling out the (quite big amount of) $$ for Premium Economy. But I got corrected. All planes were clean and well maintained, nothing rattled or fell of. The crews were all nice and helpful. Legroom was never an issue, even with pax in front of me reclining. After this experience I highly recommend United. Before you fly - find out if you have to bring your own entertainment (or pay for it)!

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Amber Peck    (Canada)

I have had more then one bad experience with United Airlines. Used United to fly at least 10 times in the last 10 months, and almost 8 of those times something has gone wrong - cancelled flights, ridiculous charges for flight changes if necessary, recently my boyfriend couldn't make his first flight so United was going to cancel his round trip ticket home which meant he had to buy new flights. These are just a few examples.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by A Snelling    (USA)

DAY-HAM round trip in Dec 2014/Jan 2015. All I can say is, "the absolute bare minimum" from United. When you buy a ticket these days, the airline only agrees to get you from point A to point B. They do not agree to feed you, entertain you, create a realistic schedule, get you or your luggage to your destination within any realistic time frame, or to help you find said luggage once they lose it. This is what you may expect from United - nothing more.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by A Cornelius    (USA)

Stuck in Belize for 7 hours because the plane did not leave Houston. No further explanation on the matter except that the plane never left. The United staff that rescheduled our connecting flights was extremely rude and not helpful at all. It almost seemed as if she was taking joy in the fact that we were all stranded there. Then, every passenger was forced to stay the night in Houston. My flight was supposed to be the first flight out of Houston, leaving at 7am, so I get to the airport at 5.30 am to find out that now it doesn't leave until 9:00. Every single staff me member I've encountered or asked for help from is miserable and rude. This was a one time thing, but I will never, ever fly United again. It's been the worst airline experience of my entire life, and I've flown hundreds of times.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by L Glenat    (Canada)

My husband and I traveled using ANA from Winnipeg - Bangkok then Toronto - Chicago and the Chicago-Toyko Narita flights were on United. We upgrade to Premium Economy for the 13 hour flight for comfort. Immediately we were grounded for 2.5 hours because the plane wouldn't accept the fuel. So all passengers including us who had to transfer in Narita were going to be late. Once finally in the air all audio wouldn't work. To add insult - the stove and cooking equipment wouldn't work either! For this 13 hour flight, the attendants served us frozen turkey sandwiches with ice cream. United staff did announce to everyone that they were sorry for the poor service. They did pay for our hotel, we were checked in at 3am and had to been on the next flight at 8am. The good news was the flight from Singapore to Bangkok was on Singapore Airlines. They are always in the top 5 airlines in the world for a good reason. On this 2.5 hour flight, we had much better service. United needs to completely overhaul their policies from top to bottom.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Tony Laverghetta    (Canada)

LAS-SFO, B737-900 and SFO-SYD, B777-200. First leg was a short flight on a new plane, soft drinks served, courteous crew, seats were just average but still too short flight to complaint. Second leg, killer flight to Australia almost 15 hrs, upgraded to Economy plus which was disappointing because basically is the same as economy with just a wider seat pitch that gave me more leg room and a comfortable sleep. Food just fine, the trays are getting smaller and smaller, crew was nice and attentive, plane a bit old, IFE average, small screens with a good selection. I have no problems flying UA again, but it has to be a really good deal as it is oceans apart compared to Qantas or Air New Zealand on the same routes down under.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Giovanna Dorset    (Australia)

The flight attendants on the flight from MEL to LAX couldn't have been more attentive, efficient and professional. Same on the LAX to NY and LAX to MEL. Food was reasonable, drinks were served regularly, cups of water offered often and service was second to none. I had heard all manner of criticism about United beforehand, however decided that given the effort by United to revamp the airline putting the 'Dreamliner' into service non-stop between MEL and LA it was only fair to give United a fair chance. United Airlines staff were nothing short of fantastic having arranged assistance for me on arrival at the various locations - in general over and above their call of duty.