United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Bruce Vangsness    (USA)

I booked a flight from Amarillo to Fargo with a connection in Denver. The flight was showing on time at the ticket counter. When I got to the gate the departure board showed the flight running 30 minutes late. I had a 3hr 45min. layover in Denver so I thought I was fine. The flight finally took off about 3 hrs late. When I got to Denver the board showed my flight to Fargo running 2 hrs late. After getting the run-around for 4 hrs from the United agents, we finally boarded the plane to Fargo. After sitting on the runway for 45 minutes, the pilot announced that they had to file a flight plan and it would be a few more minutes. 10 minutes later he announced that the crew was over their allowed hours for the day so they took us back to the gate and we went back into the terminal. There was no help from any of the agents. I had to be in Fargo the next morning so, at considerable expense, I booked a flight on Delta and got there the next day. Its a good thing I did because later that day I got a text message from United saying I was rebooked on a flight to Fargo for the next day, which would have made me 2 days late on a 4 day trip. Needless to say, this was my last trip on United.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by T Hall    (USA)

New United seats are horrible. Flew 4 flights in economy plus recently. All flights had the new seats which have relatively no padding at all. I am a small guy and average weight and I was so uncomfortable after 20 minutes. United is making the seats lighter at the expense of our comfort. Shame on them. Not to mention United's poor customer service. You can spot a former Continental employee immediately, as they are more friendly and competent.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by w Daren    (Canada)

I recently flew with United from YEG (Edmonton) to EWR (Newark) and back in first class. The service I received in Edmonton and on board was excellent yet once I arrived in Newark the level of service decreased dramatically. I would recommend United for travelers yet I would say take caution flying through EWR.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by Heather Delecki    (USA)

I am scheduled for a flight from Louisville, KY to Houston, TX, where I would then board my final plane to Las Vegas. After getting here early, I saw that my flight was delayed. So much so that I was going to miss my connecting flight. I found this out at around 5.30, and have been trying to find assistance on the issue since then. Only at 8pm, was I able to even speak with one of a staff member. I was informed that I had been moved to a separate flight on a separate airline, which of course had already departed. I was never informed of this change, so of course I did not board that new flight. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by Garone Remo    (Switzerland)

Two flights with UAL in June 2013. LHR to LAX and SEA to ANC. Both flights were perfect, good value for the money, friendly and very professional crew, long haul flight with B777 was very comfortable and the SEA-ANC trip with B757-200 was a real pleasure. I will certainly fly with UAL again in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by O Oluwaseun    (USA)

Excellent experience flying from EWR to PEK. I flew in Business Class, but the service from the FA's was exceptional. We arrived early in Beijing and despite leaving Beijing late, we managed to arrive early in Newark.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2013 by M Gephart    (USA)

Traveled twice last week LAX-ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD-SFO-LAX. Both trips during inclement weather in Chicago and completely full flights. All flights on-time (even most arriving early). The staff were great on all 5 legs with several drink and rubbish runs. Opted to purchase the Bistro on Board and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the warm sandwich. The WiFi and IFEs (on all legs) made the flights go by quickly. My main concern when I travel is a consistent, on-time inflight experience with positive customer touchpoints. Of the majors, United hits all of these points.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Tom Dahlke    (Germany)

Flight from MSP via ORD to FRA. Check in very inefficient, they were not able to issue all boarding passes for each flight. Flight was delayed, we missed the international flight. Customer Service poor, they were mostly focused entertaining themselves instead of sorting out what they messed up. Hotel and meal voucher after one hour of inefficient service attempts. Flight next day on Premium economy, at least the surcharge to upgrade was refunded. Service very average, food poor to average. Clearly never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Cea Cohen Elliott    (USA)

United canceled one of my flights two days before the reservation. I arrived in Denver 24 minutes late and ran to a gate to catch my connecting flight with Great Lakes. The agent said she had no idea where to get the flight, no phone or contact number. Ran to the gate at the end of Terminal B to discover that Great Lakes was in another terminal. Great Lakes wouldn't let me on my flight because "we close the doors 20 min before departure." I ran back to Terminal B; was rebooked on a flight to Omaha (which was 3 hrs. from my destination in Nebraska) to find out that United had lost my bag. Great Lakes canceled my flight on the day that I was supposed to fly home, drove to Omaha again where the connecting flight to O'Hare was 2 hrs late. Arrived at O'Hare, ran to an agent, "where is the Dayton flight "I don't know and I'm not logged onto my computer anymore." Ran to another agent, same response. Spoke to a supervisor who made a reservation for me for the next morning. Arrived at the airport the next morning at 5.30 even though my flight didn't leave until 8.10. As I was boarding with my boarding pass, in hand, the agent said that I couldn't board, I had no reservation and the computer said that I was a "no show" the previous night. I explained all of the circumstances and assured her that one of the United supervisors made my reservation. I was told to sit down and hope that the stand by passengers did not show up otherwise I had no seat. Thank goodness the stand by didn't show up and I was the last passenger to board the plane. I have never experienced such disrespectful agents.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by J Lindner    (USA)

I have to say, as a United Million Miler, I am very happy to now be flying Delta. Today one of the flights had a mechanical. They switched us to another gate, got a new aircraft, got it cleaned and catered and loaded and we arrived only 1 hour behind schedule. I made my connection. That would never ever happen on United. Delta has figured it out. On a flight from SFO to Vancouver, 2 hours departing at 7.45am you would think there would be breakfast in 1st class. We got a scone - in first. What ever happened to Gordon Betune "Meals at Mealtime"? I am done with United. I like pillows and blankets and clean planes - even if they are older, and an airline that does not act like everything is the first time they have done it. I'm done. Million miles or not - it just is not worth it anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Keith Knutsson    (USA)

Los Angeles - San Francisco. United Airlines consistently offers the poorest service levels from check-in to inflight. As a Star Alliance member for over a decade I find they treat their top tiered Gold Star members the worst of all star partners. You have no seat selection and are given some of the poorest caps eating-center seats more often than not. Employees bark at customers. Recently I was charged for a 2nd bag which is allowed by Star regulations. What's even more ironic their slogan is fly the friendly sky's - they are by far consistently the most unfriendly employees.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by W Cedric    (USA)

Flew from Upstate New York (Ithaca) to Newark, with a connecting flight to Kansas City. Flight out of Ithaca was delayed due to a crew issue in addition to air traffic control issues, missed connecting flight to Kansas City by 5 minutes! Next direct flight wasn't until 8am (12 hours after my original connecting flight) and requested that United provide me with hotel accommodations for my travel. They refused and insisted that they only provide hotels for mechanic or crew related flight delays. I will never fly with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 December 2013 by D Mohapatra    (USA)

I travelled with family/kids from Brussels to Chicago on UA973. My flight was booked through Swiss Air and Brussels Air, however the flight was operated by United. Several years back I did not have great experience with UA in international flights, as compared to Swiss/Lufthansa/Austrian airlines, due to which I was very sceptical. However, I was nicely surprised with this flight. The seats were comfortable, the crew were very welcoming, helpful, and the food and service were outstanding. I was very impressed with the timing too. Now on I'd prefer the UA for my future international travels.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 December 2013 by M Jest    (Denmark)

Premuim Economy

Flew JFK-Dulles (CRJ200), IAD-Cancun-IAD (737-800)-Heathrow (772). All flights quite comfortable, Cancun-departure delayed in Dulles, but arrived more or less on time due to strong backwinds. On the 777 to London I ended up in premium economy as my IFE was not working properly - by the way not the first time I experience this on a UA777. I complained politely and was moved to premium shortly after take off. Very nice flight from here, got the last row with just two seats by the window. Very attentive air hostess, she actually seemed like she was enjoying what she was doing! However, I still don't get why UA doesn't try to keep up with other Star carriers regarding inflight service. Food was decent but lousy that you have to pay for wine. The flight was extremely cheap, though.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 December 2013 by L Troman    (UK)

LH7975 from Belfast to Newark, 1st Dec 2013. UA0608 from Newark to Las Vegas, 1st Dec. UA1208 from Las Vegas to Newark, 8th Dec. UA77 from Newark to Belfast, 9th Dec. Booked a flight 6 months in advance to Las Vegas, had to change at Newark from Belfast Intl, so 4 Flights with United, and not once did I get to sit with my wife on these flights because United have a 10% over sale policy, meaning they sell more tickets than they have seats, hoping someone doesn't turn up. Well you can imagine the scene when they all do turn up, even when we get there 5 hours in advance of the flight, you still don't get any seat allocation, we were absolutely disgusted with United for ruining our holiday. Rest assure it wont happen again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 December 2013 by V Hallberg    (USA)

I have flown over one million miles on United and I am not impressed with their planes, no entertainment on most flights, many rude attendants and the worst customer service I have ever experienced from any company, ever. I was loyal because they fly into an airport close to my house but I am now willing to drive for a better quality carrier like Delta, American or Virgin.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 December 2013 by Neeraj Sachdeva    (USA)

Flew the former Continental B777-200LR from EWR-DEL. Smooth, swift boarding by boarding group. Left gate on time, arrived 1hr 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Extremely attentive, welcoming and friendly staff on board. Had Indian meals throughout the flight. Newark Kitchen chefs did an excellent job of preparing and presenting Indian meals. Great snack selection in between meal service. Plenty of water and juices between scheduled meal and snack service. Great comfortable lie flat seats with two charging stations and touch screen on demand IFE. Overall an excellent flight experience, the perfect start to the trip and landed into New Delhi well fed and rested.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 December 2013 by M Anderson    (UK)

LHR-IAD, Never again. BA was full so ended up flying United. The return flight was an old 757 single aisle cramped plane. Lots of peoples IFE did not work and even after rebooting still nothing. The poor passenger in front of me had a broken leg and crew were not interested in helping, we got delayed back to London due to snow! They did not communicate well at all, no information, long queues, staff not keen to help. Would not help with hotel, after the 20hr delay , arriving in LHR with no luggage, only to be told to wait 3 days for them to send it. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by U Pumphrey    (USA)

Airbus 320, BWI-LAX had a 5.55pm departure. I've flown United multiple times including international and this airline does not have good service for domestic flights. This flight was 5hr 45 min and had no inflight entertainment, no meal was served, they did not provide blankets. Considering it's winter you would think there would be blankets offered and they had no free snacks. The crew WERE friendly and the seats were comfortable. But with the price they make you pay for their tickets, the airline needs to get an upgrade with inflight service and entertainment.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by M Wo    (USA)

Mechanical problem grounded flight from Dulles to LAX. Then after 2 hours in the plane they finally told us to deplane and that the flight was cancelled. Poor updating of the status of the problem while we waited anxiously. After that we waited an hour in line for customer service, and we were nearly at the front of the line when we got there - there were about 50 or more people behind us. The customer service desk was understaffed and working very slowly. Constantly chatting among themselves and leaving their desk for no apparent reason. Also a few just put their coats on and left despite the severe staff shortage and huge number of people waiting. Finally we got to a customer service representative and he took 30 minutes to find us a flight to Denver and then Denver we would take another flight to San Francisco at 6am and then to Maui by 1230pm. I had to remind him to give me meal vouchers. Also despite arriving to Denver at midnight, no assurance of hotel reservation. To make matters worse our luggage went on another flight to LAX and would arrive separately to Maui 30 minutes after we land, also unsure if it will even make it. Keep in mind we paid over 2000 dollars for this flight. To make matters even worse the United Club staff was very rude. They admitted us to the Club (which was dirty and bare at best) and then the lady came yelling at me that she made a mistake and realized that my Club pass was expired by 5 days! They kicked us out, the regular waiting room was just the same. Hold time to customer service by phone to try and figure out hotel reservation for over an hour, never got through.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by S Gazze    (USA)

Original flight US-Canada-Italy. We were rebooked to US-UK-Italy. Not so bad, except that they left my 5 year old out of the re-booking and we ended up having to split the family in UK so someone would stay with her until there was another flight. We reunited 26 hours later. Our luggage arrived the day before we had to return to the US, when we also found out that our flight home had been canceled because we had not shown up for the original flight - never mind they had moved us to another flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by P Li    (Serbia)

I just completed my round trip from Minneapolis to Beijing. United Airlines was only my Minneapolis-Chicago portion of travel. Nevertheless, I have to give a big round of applause to United Airlines ground staff. On my way to Beijing, tornados around the Chicago area caused all planes to be grounded. Even though this was out of anybody's control, the gentleman at the United Airline counter offered great help and found me another airline that had flights out of Minneapolis to Beijing via Tokyo. I was very grateful and impressed. On my way home, my flight from Beijing to Chicago was delayed. After landing in Chicago O’Hare, I was too late to catch my connecting flight to Minneapolis, when I went up to the United Airlines counter, another gentleman greeted me with heart- warming service. He was able to put me on a later flight. I arrived home late, but it was only an hour and half late.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by B Alex    (USA)

At home, made sure that my seat assignment was at the window. At the airport, got bumped to the middle seat: apparently, this happens whenever the airline changes the aircraft. This wasn't a big issue: it made it easier to get out of the most inconvenient seat that I've ever had (and I fly regularly with European discount airlines). The seat arrangement was horrible: my knees were at my chest, and I'm still in pain, 12 hours after getting off the plane (I'm 6",190 lbs). The flight attendants were unfriendly. Red eye from SFO to EWR.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Maureen Way    (USA)

Was supposed to fly White Plains NY to Chicago then to Phoenix 12/4/13. Got a 4am call with following message. "your reservations are confirmed from NY to Chicago and then to Phoenix and then to Houston and then to Phoenix." Called the 800 # only to be told that we were going NY to Chicago to Houston to Phoenix , no reason for the change. At age 71 and 75 we had booked our flights so we could travel without stress. Our flight marathon dropped us in Phoenix at 8.30pm with a 2 hour drive to Tucson. Got to Tucson at 11.30pm - exhausted. Our original arrival was to be at 12.30pm. We will never fly United again. At least the flight attendants were professional.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Dean Pittman    (USA)

Left Rochester 15 minutes late arriving in Washington with only 15 minutes to my boarding to my connecting flight to Philadelphia, there was a last minute gate change and after running to the gate the plane was late. Then the plane had mechanical issues, then we had to wait for traffic control, 3 hours later still waiting. I will never fly United again. The first plane was overweight and people were offered other flights, the plane was so old and dirty.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 December 2013 by J Lowther    (Serbia)

Flew UA 903, San Francisco to Frankfurt, Economy class. Avoid this flight: old plane with cramped seating (Economy Plus better), and no individual videos - movies shown on a wall! On my flight the already bad United Economy food was cold. Flight attendants were fairly nice but understandably a bit grumpy, working in an environment that you would expect from an African airline. United modernized the business class so that class of service would be fine on this flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by R Garcia    (USA)

My 13 year old daughter had a flight out of Little Rock on 11/22/13. We arrived at the airport over an hour early. There were 2 ladies checking in passengers. 5 minutes later, one left the counter. Passengers were upset but the staff member assured everyone "the plane will not leave without everyone checked in". Unorganized! Instead of having just one line, she had 4 lines going. Needless to say, my daughter along with 30+ passengers missed their flight. 1.5 hrs later, a staff member reappeared and the line grew to about 45+ passengers all waiting to be checked-in. I waited and waited at the front of the line to have my daughters flight re-booked. After dealing with these problems and poor customer service I asked to have my daughters flight switched to American Airlines and they flat out told me no unless I was willing to pay $200. My daughters flight was re-booked for the following day so we drove another 2 hours back to Little Rock on Saturday only to find the same issue going on at the check-in counter. When my daughter got to her gate to board the plane we were told the flight was delayed because they were missing about 30 passengers. My daughters flight departed 45 minutes late! Coming back home we encountered more problems dealing with United Airlines. My daughter was given the wrong boarding pass. At the gate, she was turned away and had to go back to check-in to received new boarding passes, by the time she reached customer service the plane had departed so she had to be re-booked. United placed her on the 11pm flight! Had I not been aware a minor cannot fly on the last connecting flight, she would have been at the airport only to be turned away and re-booked again! United Airlines employees seem to not take their job serious when dealing with children. I spent almost $400 for my daughters plane ticket from LIT via Houston to LAX and another $300 for the unaccompanied minor fees to be treated likes this! United Airlines does not care about their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by G Michael    (USA)

There weren't any movie screens on my flight. With the lack of inflight entertainment, I attempted to use my computer, but there were no power outlet or USB outlets. I then attempted to use my iPhone to connect to WiFi, but it was unavailable for the majority of the flight. Additionally, there was fee to connect to the internet. I think it's a terrible idea to not have movies on a flight over 4 hours. If the idea is to replace free movies (I was in First Class) with terrible pay per use WiFi that doesn't work most of the flight, then I will take my business elsewhere. On my return flight there was no inflight entertainment to include WiFi. I will never fly Business or First Class with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Jay Mason    (Canada)

Booked my ticket return from Calgary to Melbourne with 1 stop in LA. They proceeded to change our flights afterwards on our return trip with a stop over in Sydney, then to San Francisco onto Denver and then Calgary with a delay at every airport. Food is terrible. Flight attendants are like sour milk and on a 15 hour flight a TV in the back of the seat would be nice. Fly Air Canada and Qantas if flying to Melbourne from Canada, never United.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by P Lindhout    (Netherlands)

Nov 9th, AMS-IAH, UA59. Nov 9th, IAH-MGA, UA1421. Nov 29th, MGA-IAH, UA1423. Nov 29th, IAH-AMS, UA58. United is all about service as they say but the last 4 flights we had uninterested staff. Besides this is the only airline I know off that lets you pay for alcoholic beverages on transatlantic flights. Breakfast was so small on the IAH-AMS flight leg that the crew actually told me it was indeed meant for children.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Derek Salter    (South Africa)

LHR to EWR economy. Full 777 on way out but felt comfortable. Quiet 757 coming back - plenty of space to stretch out. Not sure it would be comfortable if full. Food ok. Why the insistence of heated rolls or burgers - just simple cold healthy food would suffice. Cabin crew excellent - helpful and pleasant. Good check-in - especially at Newark. Well controlled boarding. Impressed.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Joerg Boese    (Germany)

Frankfurt-Washington, Economy. Check-in was done by Lufthansa, very friendly. Boarding on time, flight almost full. Food was edible. Equipment a 777, seats a little narrow, seat recline did not work properly (always came up again), in seat video was broken, touch screen did not work on one side. So only the movies on the first screen could be chosen. Attendants so-so, some friendly, some rude. On time arrival. After flying United a few times this year I will try to avoid them. Something is always broken on their flights, staff moral and attitude leaves lot to improve. Their slogan, "Flying the friendly skies" is simply ridiculous.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by C Adrian    (USA)

Hopped on a quick flight between Los Angeles to SFO for my onward flights to ICN on SQ. Check in took less than 5 minutes via the premier access terminal. Upon push back, flight sat on runway for 25 long minutes causing many with tight connections to miss their flights. Drinks were served shortly after take off and avod screens with direct tv available for use with purchase of a credit card. Seat pitch didn't offer much, but sufficed for the length of time of the flight. All in all, I felt that UA is strictly there to transport passengers from point A to B and nothing further.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by A Decker    (USA)

My son's flight was delayed several hours today from Sacramento to LAX (either by weather or plane problems - United was not forthcoming with the details). After a few hours at the airport, it was clear that the flight was so delayed that he could no longer make his bus connection to UCSB from LAX, if he ever even got to LAX. When he asked United gate employees if there was anything they could do to get him to LAX by another route or fly him directly to his destination, they made minimal attempts and then told him to "go buy a Greyhound ticket and take the bus." Of course, it was now 6.30 pm and 20 miles from the closest bus depot. Not very helpful. Then they cancelled his ticket and refunded his money, leaving him at the Sacramento airport without a way to get home. Long story short, they eventually put him back on his original flight after finding a later bus home, only to find the flight was overbooked. After racing back through security and running through the terminal, he arrived back at the gate to a full flight. Sorry is what they told him. My husband is now driving my son through holiday traffic to UCSB and they will arrive about 4 am. No help from United. We'll never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by T Proctor    (UK)

Flew Manchester UK (UA80) to Newark and return (UA81) in Premium Economy (Row 21 A,B,C Exit Row) December 2013. Price and punctuality good. Food poor to average. Seats had good leg room length but very uncomfortable. Hard seats; head rests dig into back when in lowest position and moving them up subjects passenger to hard fabric seams around upper mid back causing lots of discomfort if tall. Would not do a transatlantic flight again with this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Greg Zarelli    (USA)

I just flew United over the holiday weekend PDX-EWR-TPA out and TPA-IAH-PDX return. I was in first class out and coach return. I have nothing but praise for the operation, the staff, the service and the equipment. The entire trip was flawless. Had great service, tasty meals and drink, friendly crews and clean, well-equipped planes. United is getting its act together after the merger and it is for the best. They also have a great network and fly almost anywhere you need to go!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by C Stevenson    (UK)

LHR-EWR for a short 3 day trip to see my sister in New York. Flight out was in Economy and back in Business First. Check in at Heathrow was good, polite agent, and I purchased Premier Access for $12 online which from London means you can board in Group 2 and use the Business check in. Already chose my aisle seat online which is good because unlike BA, United allow you to choose a seat any time up to the flight day for free. Bit of a scrum at boarding because people insisted on congregating at the gate podium area even though they were not the boarding group which was boarding. Seat onboard was nice, didn't bother with Economy Plus but it was comfortable and AVOD on this 777 was excellent. Also the plane was really clean. Staff great with plenty of drink runs, alcohol charged for at $7 a go but that's OK, they were nice drinks. Only gripe was little overhead bin space due to people bringing on lots of carry on. Flight arrived on time, immigration at EWR takes ages though for Customs. Flight back, in Business First. Went to the United Club at EWR which was nice, onboard, seat 4L by the window, full flight. Firstly, no one came to take my coat for a long time. I stood up and asked a passing crew member who said someone would be a long in a minute, not acceptable. Drink offered from a tray of plastic glasses, took champagne which was OK. From then on I was attended to by a polite male flight attendant, but at every stage, everything was rushed. I was asked what I wanted for dinner from the menu, when the meal came, it all seemed as if I had to rush it, when the cheese came I was expected to finish it quickly in advance of the Ice Cream, nothing was rude, but I got the impression the crew wanted to get the meal service over with. Bed was comfortable and spacious, not the back to front beds but 2+2 configuration which was fine, except you have to be an athlete to step over the aisle seat if they are in the bed mode. Asked for a glass of Bordeaux near to landing, was given in a plastic cup, but again, was 'loomed' over before I had finished it to give it back prior to landing. All in all, UA staff are polite, but they need to slow down in the Business Cabin in the meal service. Would travel again if a good price.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by Donald Rallis    (USA)

I have traveled many times on United, in all classes if service, and it seems that every flight provides new evidence that this is a truly appalling airline. Aircraft's are often antiquated, service uniformly dismal, and prices on international routes often high by comparison with foreign carriers (many if which do not charge extra for baggage, food or drinks.) My latest flight (RIC-IAD-NRT-BKK) in Economy Plus was typical. An outright hostile check-in agent insisted that I could not check bags to a connecting flight on another Star Alliance carrier. Somehow her supervisor managed to do it, but gruffly informed me that "Your bags probably won't arrive". Every flight on my journey was delayed, all for technical reasons. Service in board was surly and unhelpful, food bad, seats (Economy Plus) uncomfortable, and video on demand unavailable. My experiences in First and Economy were only a little better: new seats are comfortable, but the quality of food, service, and airline lounges is far inferior to those of any Asian or European carrier I have flown.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by P McDonnell    (USA)

I usually try to avoid US carriers for transatlantic flights, but I ended up on United for a FRA-ORD flight, and was pleasantly surprised. Flight operated on a 777, I paid the extra $100 for an economy-plus seat, which was well worth it for a 10+ hour flight, seat had decent leg room and was comfortable enough for an economy seat. IFE was very good with a large selection of TV, music and movies. Food was standard economy fare - not great, but at least edible. Cabin staff was very friendly and efficient, coming around offering water/coffee/tea every hour or so. Only real complaint is that the immigration, baggage claim and process to connect onto a domestic flight at ORD is a nightmare, but that can't really be blamed on United. I'll continue to give United a try for long-haul flights if they can maintain this level of service.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Allison Jarrett    (Canada)

YVR-LAX. Flight was fine got the classic snack box the plane was an old skywest plane the flight attendants were very nice. Arrived in LAX 10 minutes early. Overall I would take United for a short haul flight but not a long haul flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Gina Sethman    (USA)

Departed Boston, Stop 1 Newark, New Jersey, Depart Newark, New Jersey to West Palm Beach, Florida. I ended up on 7.32 Connection from Newark, New Jersey to West Palm Beach, Florida. Everything was going smoothly including boarding on time to be told we have to sit on the plane for an hour while a cock pit crew change. This would cause me to miss my connecting flight so they announced back up flights quickly and just once. I had no idea which flight number or what time. Very unprofessional, uncomfortable, and unorganized. Then a passenger asked a question about her connecting flight that she couldn't answer and made her go find out herself. On top of it, it was extremely hot on the plane. I very much dislike flying United!

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by E Birman    (UK)

OSL-EWR on a fairly empty B757, so some room to stretch out. Flight departed early and arrived early and for once, customs/immigration in EWR was really a breeze! Service from UAL flight attendants was very poor, on the other hand. Food was okay and seats were reasonably comfortable (no doubt helped by the light load on the plane), but the unhelpful and unfriendly attitude of crew was a disappointment.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by E Birman    (UK)

IAD-LHR, the late-night B777 flight. E+ is definitely necessary to get any sort of rest on these flights; otherwise, staff were very considerate and did not wake passengers for the midnight meal(s). I saw many were making their rounds with water throughout the flight as well. Early arrival into LHR. Plane was clean and well- maintained. Generally, would recommend.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Peter Squire    (UK)

Our route was London Heathrow - Newark - Fort Myers - Newark - London Heathrow. Having read some of the reviews I was slightly apprehensive, but overall the experience with United was fairly good. With one exception, all four flights arrived ahead of schedule and on the way back from Fort Myers to Newark, we asked about getting an earlier flight than the one that we were booked on. This was duly arranged at the check-in desk without fuss, and at no additional cost. I would say the leg room on the US domestic flights left a little to be desired but overall for an economy ticket the plane was fairly comfortable, the service good and the facilities clean. We were delayed boarding on the return Newark - Heathrow leg for 40 minutes due to waiting for the cleaning crew to re-stock the plane with blankets and pillows. I thought this was poor. When I asked why can't the passengers get seated and then the blankets/pillows get handed out but was told this wasn't possible due to the numbers of people involved. Overall, a fairly positive experience at a good price and most importantly a safe round trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Richard Strutt    (UK)

Flight from Orlando to San Francisco via Denver, good cheap flights until check-in, $25 dollars for a bag added each way then an additional $7.99 for TV or movies on a 5.5 hour flight? Come on that's just money grabbing! I expected better service than this on a good length flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Millie Simpson    (Australia)

I was booked on a 1413 flight from Las Vegas to LA. Due to bad weather the flight was delayed but no one announced this. Instead, customers were forced to follow updates online. After the flight was pushed back to a departure after 1730, I spoke with a rep from United who confirmed there was no way the flight would be cancelled and that I did not need to be booked on another flight. I had an international flight that night and had allowed 8 hours should any issues arise. 20 minutes later the flight was cancelled. I was booked on another flight due to arrive in LA 90 minutes prior to my international departure and my bags were tagged through to my final flight. Unfortunately the United rep did not provide me with the baggage receipt and the flight was delayed. I landed in LA and had to sprint to make my next flight only to be told that without the baggage receipt from United I was unlikely to be able to board my international flight. Thanks to the quick work of a rep from another airline, my baggage receipt was located and I made my flight. United airlines flight attendants were incredibly rude to passengers aboard the flight from Vegas and basically told us they could not care less that our flight was delayed or that passengers may miss or had already missed international connecting flights. Delayed flights due to bad weather is no one fault and I have encountered this numerous times over the years with no significant drama. I appreciate that I was able to be booked on a later flight but the absence of communication by United staff both at the airport and during the flight by the pilot (who kept the plane on the tarmac for 40minutes without updating passengers) and attendants was a joke and I will not fly with this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by C Savoie    (Canada)

Took United from Lima to Houston a couple of days ago. We made it through security. Purchased our water for our flight and when we boarded they were searching people's bags and removed all liquids from them. We were not allowed to bring our water we purchased after security on the flight (6 hr flight). I spent the flight uncomfortably thirsty, they said they would make extra drink runs for everyone on the flight since they were removing their drinks but they only came around 2 times in six hours. This is not acceptable!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by K Dommer    (USA)

I had an early morning return flight that was delayed nearly four hours due to weather. Between the first airport (CWA) and the connecting airport (ORD) I was rebooked on six different flights before I finally got one that could get me home. Through all of this, the staff was very friendly, helpful, explained what was going on and personally made sure my luggage got on the correct flights. They made the delay and resulting chaos stress free and got me where I needed to be as quickly and smoothly as possible. Thank you, United Airlines!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by Ameya Chitre    (USA)

ORD-GSP return on ERJ 135 (United Express - Transaero). The flight out of ORD was delayed. First snow of the season just started coming down and original departure time of 2.52pm was shifted to 3.20, then 3.52 and then 4.10 because of late arriving aircraft. We finally boarded at 4.50. Its not the biggest of seats on the ERJ135 and we were kept waiting in the plane for almost an hour and 10 mins because we needed de-icing. The de-icer finally showed up after the crew said "5 minutes" for the 3rd time. When we finally took off, it was an incident free flight but GSP airport was closed by the time we landed! The flight back from GSP was no problems at all. On time departure from GSP and smooth flight. The only issue was, since UA has no flights that leave GSP between 9.30am and 6.00pm, I had to kill some time.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by K Bakor    (Hungary)

I was flying DAC to KTM. The service has met my expectations. The ground staff was most helpful, the service of flight attendants wasn't excellent but alright, and the snack was tasty. The plane was quite old, but not crowded in my case.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by N Cole    (Canada)

Just returned from a vacation to Maui from Vancouver via San Francisco all on UA. What a great experience! Flights were on time, aircraft clean and comfortable. Inflight entertainment somewhat lacking but the friendliness of the ground staff and cabin crews was outstanding. Something has changed at UA and it is all for the better. The friendly skies are back!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by C Crez    (USA)

I flew first from Newark to Orlando and it was not bad we had the Bucket bed seats, They were somewhat comfortable. But our flight back was on a 737-900, Worst plane ever! Is time to retire these, The seats in first were so uncomfortable that I developed cramps and neck pain. No food just cold salad and wine! It time for all of these airlines to give passengers what they pay for and not garbage in my opinion! Never again will I ever fly a 737-900!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by N Faltisco    (USA)

United Airlines is possibly the worst airlines I've ever flown. I flew to NC seamlessly on Friday and thought maybe United isn't all that bad. This perception changed quick. My thinking quickly went back to "it wouldn't be a flight with United unless there was a problem". Especially since I am still here at Newark. I'm on my way back and the flight still hasn't left the previous city. Now they are trying to find us a new plane. I was supposed to depart at 11 and it is now saying it will depart at 2.50. It has moved and hour every hour. I could have driven home 3 times by now. This is definitely not the only time I've had an issue with United. I've never had an easy round trip with them. On my way to California one time they boarded the plane in the dead of summer with out turning on the plane for air. After 30 minutes of sitting and sweating they told us they couldn't find the pilots. What? After another 10 minutes they said they found them and they were on their way from the hotel. Another time they told us we had an issue with our wing while we were in the air. Not the most comforting feeling in the world. Then 20 minutes later they told us it wasn't a huge issue and that we would just be landing a little faster than normal. I could go on and on and I don't know why I still fly them. Generally they have the cheapest flight and I guess I seem to forget how horrible they are every time I buy. The flight that was supposed to leave after us is now at this gate. And we are now departing another 2 hours later.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by R Shankar    (Japan)

BOS-SFO, UA503, November 10, 2013. A seven hour domestic flight - crew ran out of drinks, plane was old and dirty (stains on carpet), United charges for bags even with Star Alliance Gold status - unbelievable! Always so uncomfortable to fly this airline - I don't want to do it again. Also the crew were extremely rude especially the lady working at the bar at the United Club lounge in Boston. I have never met such a rude person like her. I never want to fly this airline again!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by R Fricke    (Belgium)

I flew with United on a Washington - Brussels flight. I was very disappointed and would almost compare it with a low cost company! Alcohol to buy, staff stressed and running in the aisle, poor food. Would not recommend at all!

United Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

Round-trip SFO-SJU, via EWR EB and CHI WB. United has really come through on improving crew attitudes. Each flight had crews that were very accommodating and generally present. The last leg was on an international 777 and the inflight IFE was much better than the domestic aircraft. All flights were on time and I have no complaints at all.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Ian Hosken    (Australia)

Flew twice recently on this airline while visiting the US and Mexico. The worst flight was from New York to Mexico City (UA 1063) a 6 hour flight. You get absolutely nothing extra on these flights, ok I get that but when you attempt to buy anything they have run out. We were only 8 seats back from where the trolley started so it was obvious the bean counters only allowed for so many lunches. My partner chose to buy the movie but if you do not and you actually get a plane with a monitor in the back of the seat they play over and over and over the same screen shots of what's on until you relent. Seats are the smallest I have encountered on a long flight and that includes Jetstar international. I did not book this airline through choice it appears to be flight centre Australia's preferred option. Everyone had told us the airlines were rubbish but from the land of good service how do they put up with this?

United Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Michael Shelton    (USA)

My recent flight on United Airlines was very disappointing, to the point I will refuse to fly this incompetent airline again! I had several problems on this one flight from Houston to Bristol England. The worst of the problems was that one of my flights was cancelled due to technical problems, they re-routed us to a different location (city) and promised to get us to our final destination. They did not get us to our final destination! When we arrived at the re-routed city, no one was there to meet us and we were left stranded to find our own transportation in an international city that we are not familiar with. Several of the passengers and myself ended up purchasing a $130 ticket for a 5-hour train ride to our final destination. Some took a 7-hour bus ride. When I tried to discuss with United Airlines their Customer Service personnel were rude and refused to accept any responsibility for what happened and refused to pay for the additional $130 we each dished out for the train ride to our final destination. On my departure from Houston we were told the plane was changed to a smaller plane and the economy plus seating that I had paid additional for was no longer available. I had one small backpack as my carry-on and when I was finally able to board the plane from Group 5 there was no overhead space available to place my small backpack. United were allowing passengers to board the plane with 3 & 4 suitcase carry-ons. The flight attendants were rude and not willing to assist at all. These were the rudest, non- caring crew members that I have ever seen. My international flight back to the US we were charged for meals and drinks. To watch TV also is another cost. I would encourage people to fly any other airline available instead of United.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2013 by R Evans    (Australia)

MEL-LAX. After reading some shocking reviews I was pleasantly surprised. Flight attendants were efficient, friendly and went out of their way to find me some earplugs.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by L Jenn    (USA)

It was my third time using United business class this year for long flight and still same opinion for the three, this last trip was EWR-HKG. The lounge at Newark is a joke, no real food. Crackers and cheese and some soft drinks. HKG lounge was much better. Seats comfortable, flight attendants were too busy talking among themselves and rarely walked the aisle too see if a passenger needed anything, food was not good at all for business class. Not impressed at all with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by M Thompson    (USA)

Honolulu - Houston. Arrived at the Airport very early. No line at check in, United is very good about taking Premium bags early. No line at Security as mid afternoon only seems to be busy for Hawaiian Air. Honolulu Airport is odd and old and it is a long walk to the United gates, some of it outside even after clearing security. The United Club was quiet, with nice large windows facing the airfield. UA200 which is a continuation of the flight from Guam changes planes in Honolulu. UA 200 to Houston was operated again by an old 3 class 777 with the original lie flat seats in First. It is an overnight flight so they were useful. Boarding in Honolulu is a pain due to these walls built around the gate areas that feel like cattle pens. Pre Departure Beverages offered, no menu for the 7 and a 1/2 hour flight. 2 choices were offered for dinner in First, and again the crew brought me a cheese plate from buy on board for dessert as I do not eat ice cream. The crew on this flight were not overly warm and at times did limited checking in on the cabin. Breakfast was served prior to arrival. Overall a mediocre experience. If I was not travelling on miles I would never purchase UA First at full fare. There is little value for the money.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by M Thompson    (USA)

Houston to Orlando on B757-200. Pre Departure Beverages were offered. After the door was closed and people grabbed their headsets, the flight attendant came and said I guess they didn't tell you at the gate but the entertainment system is broken in First Class, only economy has entertainment. 2 choices for lunch were served. My seatmate ordered the salad which is known to be the better option, and it looked so disgusting she took 2 bites only and covered it with her napkin. Poor thing. Mine was a larger version of those 59 cent frozen burritos you get in the supermarket. Crew came through 3 times with beverages on the 2 plus hour flight. They also came by once to offer failure cards that could be mailed into United. Baggage took a long while to appear after arrival. After 8 flights it's clear United/Continental are still suffering from merger issues. Inconsistent products, offerings, levels of service, and even small items like some meals they offered a toothpick but others not for no obvious reason. While 2013 might be better than the nightmare they offered in 2012, from an outside perspective, it certainly is not where it needs to be if United want's to lead or be a first choice.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by M Thompson    (USA)

Guam to Honolulu. Flight was operated by the much dreaded Domestic 777. First Class consisted of a relatively large collection of Domestic First Class seats. There were no foot rests, very limited recline, and no individual entertainment. For a 7 hour flight, it was like sitting on a Park Bench. Pre Departure Beverages were offered as well as menus. 4 Breakfast mains were offered up, and a take it or leave it sandwich prior to arrival. The crew was elderly, but polite. I am usually good at sleeping on airplanes and only managed to pass out for two hours and awoke in pain. By hour five I was completely uncomfortable and could not wait for this flight to end. It seemed to last forever. Thankfully I have heard United is replacing this seat configuration eventually. Sadly United is the only airline that serves this route so they have little incentive to make it world class.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by M Thompson    (USA)

Yap - Guamon B737-700. Yap airport is extremely small United is the only airline that serves the island and only twice per week. Still they had a Premium and Economy check in lane. The flight departed and arrived early. Pre - Departure Beverages were offered. A small snack and beverage runs were made in First Class. Nice landing in Guam, cleared immigration in minutes, and no line at 3am to re enter security. United club was open and welcoming as my next UA flight was not for another 3 hours. Nothing to fault on this flight at all.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by R Starling    (UK)

We flew UA919 on 8 Oct, Heathrow - Washington. Departure delayed by sick passengers. Missed connection and arrived very late in St Louis. Return trip on 29 Oct from St Louis to Chicago then UA 958 back to Heathrow. Despite the delay caused by 2 passengers UA did us proud. The staff were very polite and helpful and good food. Look forward to flying UA again.