United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Divyanshu Soni    (USA)

I had the worst experience with this airline. I frequently fly between Hartford and Columbus. All flights out of Columbus and Hartford have a very poor on-time percentage around 40%. My return flight had been boarded with a broken air plane which led to everyone de-boarding and boarding a second plane. In return many people on the plane missed their connecting flights from the delay and had to be rebooked and stay at a hotel overnight including myself. My morning flight the next day had a delay that cost be a full business day at work. This is just one of many times I have had trouble with this airline, I will not be flying again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Scott Houff    (USA)

Returning to Michigan from Waikiki we got to Chicago where we found out that the plane to Detroit was cancelled. When we went to the service desk they acted like they did not care, told that we could be put on stand by until the next open flight in 3 days had a seat. Their customer service was rude and uncaring. Luckily our travel agent called American Airlines and got us a flight in one hour.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by D Skees    (Australia)

Flew United SYD-SFO in Economy Plus. Paid $200 for exit row seat, so unlimited legroom. Staff business like but not rude. Soft drinks offered soon after takeoff. Dinner was basic but that was actually welcome - steamed chicken, 4 slightly shrivelled chips, veg, tiny Apple pie, drinks offered again. Water was offered twice during overnight and a midnight ham roll and Tim Tam for those awake. Breakfast was omelette and barely recognisable sausage. IFE was shared screens, but I used iPad. Overall, not as unpleasant as I had feared.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Eve Law    (USA)

Flight from Midland to Salt Lake City was great. Both planes were small but that was fine. The crew were great and the reason I purchased the tickets was because it was the fastest flight. The layover was short and it was easy to find my next gate. We left and arrived on time. On my way back however, totally different! I had a 6.20 flight and arrived at the airport at 4.30. The line for United Airlines was so long, it extended the length of the terminal and out of the door. I stood in line for 1 hour and 20 minutes! No information given and the line did not move very quickly at all. Finally at 6 am, a woman working for United started walking down the line asking if anyone was going on the 6.20 flight to IAH. Over 30 people left the line to stand in yet another line for an additional 10 minutes. No explanation was offered, no apologies given. We were rushed through first class passenger line of security and I boarded the plane at 6:15 am. The plane was half full because everyone was still waiting in line. Our flight left at 6.45 because we had to wait on all the other passengers. The pilot did his best to make up time in the air and I made in time to make my connecting flight. I still have no idea what happened in SLC, it seemed to me like a lot of laziness and poor customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Gibson Ken    (UK)

Flew Dublin - Newark - Washington Dulles on 6th March on a B757 and then a D8. The cross Atlantic flight was fine, on time, reasonable seat, good choice of movies etc. but the food was very poor - potatoes hard as was the bread, no choice - it was meat or meat. On the hop from Newark to Dulles I was surprised how noisy it was though I was close to the engines. United seem to call people forward now by group number as printed on there boarding pass as opposed to seat number blocks. Not sure it helps and fail to see the logic of filling from the front back - getting the people at the back in first means less blocked aisles.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by I Ishak    (USA)

It has taken me in excess of an hour to resolve what should be a simple matter on the phone with their customer service, flights are always late (which I understand is not always the airline's fault but most of my late flights result from insufficient crew, which they can do something about). The coach cabin is a mess and even first class, which I usually take, is sub par. Last time I flew first class they gave me a hard time when I asked for milk for my toddler children! Not to mention that they ran out of food. I already had low expectations for them but I did not expect to bring my own food to first class. Avoid at all costs.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by G Nishihira    (USA)

NRT-BKK. Uneventful trip on a route about to be abandoned by United. Surprising considering the 747 was packed to the brim. Boarding was chaotic and those of us in business class had no idea where to line up to board. Nice hard product, but uninspiring service and meal. Overworked flight attendant working business class in the dome got the job done though. Pilot had Channel 9 (air traffic control) activated which is one of the nice features that only United can claim. The RCC lounge at NRT has much to be desired - hands down had the worst cappuccino in my life there.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by L Res    (USA)

Flew from Newark to Denver where United decided without any form of communication to hold 2 of our bags to arrive with the next flight to Denver 3 hours later. After arriving in Denver we waited at the baggage carousel for nearly an hour until we were fully convinced 2 of our bags did not make the flight. Throughout the night we tried calling different customer service numbers of United and could not get a straightforward answer. 20 hours later our bags reached us. On our flight back from Denver to Newark the entire flight was boarded, seat belts fastened, welcomed by the pilot, until another announcement from the pilot came on and I quote "there is a small problem. Should be a quick fix that will take best case 30 minutes". 10 minutes later we are told to deboard the plane because this "quick fix problem" has caused the plane to be completely out of service. As we all deboard, our entire flight is told to go to one customer service desk with 4 representatives. Nearly an hour later we finally get up to the representatives and all I hear is a potential flight to Houston, reboard the out-of-commission plane at 3.30 or wait until tomorrow. Save yourselves the trouble and aggravation and never fly United Airlines!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Glenn Turnley    (Australia)

LAX-JFK and return. Never flew United previously so after reading many reviews had lowered my expectations. I thought it was pretty good. I paid extra for more legroom which was well worth the money. Cabin crew came through the cabin regularly offering water or juice on the JFK-LAX leg in particular. The seats are more comfortable than Qantas economy, and likewise the entertainment was a bit better also. My biggest complaint is the amount of luggage/baggage United allow passengers to drag onto the plane. If you are Group 5 (aisle seats) and the last to board, all the bins are full of people's stuff from seats away! Even a pre-boarding offer to check wheelie bags for free due to a full flight was met with disinterest. It really is one area needing tightening up.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by S Cooperman    (USA)

Traveling out of New Orleans Louis Armstrong airport for business around 2 pm on 3/5/14. Baggage check was totally disorganized. I was directed to a kiosk by one of the agents then waited 15 minutes after I had checked the bag electronically for someone to come and tag it. When an agent showed up to tag the bag they were clearly not in a hurry. Then my flight was delayed. Maybe there's no rush at check in because United flights are late so often.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by P Thomas    (Austria)

Washington to San Diego and San Francisco to Washington. Old planes, not enough overhead storage for the amount of cabin luggage they allow people to lug in. One stewardess had a shouting discussion about the oncoming superbowl from the front of the plane to row 39. No free food on a 5 hour flight, no drinks except water and fruit juices of doubtful quality. Online entertainment is a joke! Never again!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by F Atkin    (Canada)

Flew UAL 218, first class from HNL-ORD then connected to UAL express ORD-YWG. Service better than expected. 777-200 had recliner seats with no flatbeds for an 8 hour flight. No inflight entertainment as WiFI was not working and the old school entertainment system had already been removed. In-Charge offered all passengers compensation through UA Website. Offer on the web site was $125 off the next UA Flight for US residents or 10% off next UA flight to be used within 1 year for international travellers. Dinner and breakfast were served. Quality of both meals were OK and reminded me of Y class meals from days gone by. Ice cream sundae cart made the rounds after dinner. First Class Attendants ensured beverages were topped up and one FA even made sure water glasses were topped up while passengers slept. Difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in recliner chairs. However, the ticket price was reasonable for the passenger space offered on the aircraft. For an 8 hour overnight flight, First class should offer flatbeds IMHO. UAL Express connector flight ORD-YWG ran 1 hour late due to off loading of baggage when connecting passengers failed to show. Almost an expected delay on any airline these days.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by G Boothman    (UK)

LHR-IAH-GUA. Prebooked upgrade 3 wks before travel. Check in easy with assistance from staff. Flight left on time and arrived on time in Houston. Flight attendants were friendly and the food was pretty average. You pay for your own alcohol which I don't have a problem with but theirs is expensive. Entertainment selection ok. Prem econ seats offer nothing more than extra legroom, about 4" but was worth it on long haul. Nothing to complain about there and using Houston for transit we were impressed with the speedy immigration channels which took much of the hassle out of using the States. IAH-GUA also on time and again a typical short flight with nothing special but nothing to complain about.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Naomi Riley    (USA)

I used to like flying United, but the last couple of trips have really make me think about other airlines. I had to fly to Honolulu in January to take care of my mom for 2 weeks. They canceled my departing flight. My flight from Houston was delayed 2 hours and there was no personal TV on the flight. Flying home it was the same. I had to return to Honolulu in Feb. The flight to and from had no personal TV. I am not a savy personal and do not have I- pads or any personal electronics (and there were many other people like me on the plane) so using Wi-Fi did us no good. Sitting on the plan for 8 hrs plus with no entertainment really did not go over well.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Robert Martin    (USA)

May 27 through June 10 2014.The customer service for this airline really needs to be greatly improved. I book my flights in advance so I can have what I want and schedule what I am doing when I get there. So to have my flights canceled and rebooked for a flight that doesn't even come close to when my connecting flight leaves the airport is a bit stupid. Now I have to have a longer flight just to get where I want to go by flying in the opposite direction of where I want to go. To top it all off, I wasn't even notified of the change. Now I have to change my plans so I can accommodate the airlines wishes. Next time I think I will book with another company that I have had no problems with.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by L Pulliam    (USA)

LAS-LAX-RNO. One way trip at the last moment due to family matters. Had enough miles in the bank to make this work. The schedule was perfect, albeit a change of planes in LAX, but only a short layover. Took off from Vegas a few minutes late. A short flight from LAS to LAX and the flight attendants passed by twice with beverage service. The plane was comfortable, the flight good and we were in LAX before I knew it. Connecting flight from LAX to RNO was fine. Another short jaunt and again the attendants made two beverage stops. I brought my own food on to the plane so I was good. I know problems can arise that are out of our control, but maybe I am one of the lucky one's. United has always done right by me. I know if I board a plane with a smile and say hello I will get that right back. I don't always expect the flight crew to be lavishing over me in economy by any means. A smile on either end goes a long ways. I have done many short and long hauls with United over the years and only once did I have an issue. United has treated me well and has my business.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Juan Wayne    (USA)

I've been a United 1K member for 2 years, 7 year Platinum member on Continental prior to the merger of the two airlines. I fly over 100k miles a year on business and used to enjoy flying however over the past 3 years United has been a nightmare to fly and do business with! Loyalty means nothing, customer service is non-existent and upgrades uncommon. Schedules are terrible with multiple connections, expensive tickets and they're flying more and more excruciatingly uncomfortable regional planes! Been flying a different airline starting this year since they offered elite status for flying a few thousand miles during a certain timeline, so far so good!

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Gisele St-Aubin    (Canada)

Hong Kong to Newark on March 1. Flight crew was tired and cranky with bad attitudes across the board. One in- flight announcement was literally a snide "buckle your seat belt, it's bumpy". Where other airlines turn a galley into a quasi-lounge area during such a long flight (15 hours), we were told there was to be no loitering around the galley or toilet areas. I will avoid this airline as much as possible in future. The only positives were the entertainment system and that the flight was on time.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by John Nusbaum    (USA)

My wife and a friend were flying to San Francisco last night and their flight was delayed from 8pm to 9.30pm. When they were finally on board they found that no meals of any kind were available on the 5 hour flight to the destination. My wife was only able to get two small glasses of water and a glass of tomato juice. If this is a sample of the way that United Airlines treats it's passengers these days we won't be booking any travel with them in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Ted Uchacz    (Canada)

United cancelled our flight to Florida about 16 hours prior to our trip. You would think that with 16 hours to work with they could find a way to get a plane to the city I live in. Our travel agent had to scramble to make alternate arrangements with another airline. Now we are going to have to spend over twelve hours travelling and stop at one more airport. I am very angry with United's lack of compassion with our dilemma and diligence at arranging alternate flights to get us to our destination. I will never book with United Airlines again!

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Barry Vogel    (USA)

EWR to AUA round trip business class. The flights were the flights from hell. The crew was unpleasant. The plane was very old and should have been retired long ago. The food, if you want to call it that, was awful to say the least. I'm easy going and I couldn't find anything positive to say. Save your money and never go UA business class.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by K Castle    (USA)

Traveled to Denver from Rochester, NY on United twice in the past month. Every plane had a mechanical problem resulting in having to re-book multiple flights because of missed connections. In January, I sat on the Tarmac for 3 hours in Rochester because someone had forgotten to drain the water out and it took that long to de-ice. On my return flight from Denver, I had to be re-booked 3 times due to mechanical issues and sat in the airport for 8 hours. The only reason I finally got out was because a connecting flight from Idaho landed too late and they refused to hold the plane. In my most recent flight out of Rochester in February, the altimeter was broken and we waited 6 hours for parts to be flown in from Atlanta. Oh, and - I had paid extra for aisle seats in Economy Plus and ended up in the middle seat in the back of the plane. Now I have to contact Customer Service as no one in the Service Center in the Denver Airport is authorized to do so. I am dreading the return flight home. I will be flying on other carriers from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Alan Evans    (Canada)

Just arrived at my hotel after a horrendous 24-hour trip from Montreal to Honolulu. The missed connection and re- routing through LAX was bad enough but I guess winter weather is a reality. What is not acceptable is this new DirecTV-United deal for in-flight "entertainment". Now, in addition to having to pay extra for a poor sandwich wrap, they've got the gall to make you cough up extra to watch a movie. I object to paying for what is standard on other airlines. They take your money, $1000-2000 and then expect you to pay for a movie - or even a flight map. Of course, they'll say it's only $6-8 for DirecTV and provides access to many TV channels as well.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Richard Birnbaum    (USA)

EWR-ZRH onboard 767-400. Rolled away from gate right on time, landed in Zurich one hour early. 2-1-2 business class configuration great if traveling alone. Had center single seat which was comfortable and private. Classic movies on IFE was wonderful. Food was decent. Service was efficient but indifferent. Definitely no smiles.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by M Bergner    (USA)

My wife and 22 month old son are about to board a 14 hour flight. United is only offering one meal service over that 14 hour period, and they won't give any food to my son, because he's on his mothers lap and doesn't have his own individual ticket. Some milk, maybe some yoghurt, a ham sandwich costs them, what, maybe $2? It's apparent that that extra $2 is worth more than the comfort of their lowly economy customers. Flying isn't what it used to be.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by P Kim    (USA)

Terrible service unless you are some sort of elite status traveler. This airline wouldn't let me pick my seats during on-line check in. Assigned me and my 9 year old son Exit row seats because the flight was completely oversold. When I advised gate attendant that a 9 year old would be in the exit row, they stated that I "shouldn't have agreed to the terms and conditions of those seats". Told to leave my boarding passes and they would fix it. After 40 minutes, everyone else gets on plane, I go up to find out what's going on and I'm then given back my original boarding passes and told to get on the plane and they would fix it there. Onboard, told to see the 2nd attendant. The 2nd attendant tells me I can't sit in the exit row with a child. An attendant moved 2 people out of their seats into the exit row and then snidely says to me "See. that wasn't so bad, was it?". I've taken 4 United round trips in the last 5 years and pretty much determined that this kind of attitude is common.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by D Finden    (USA)

LHR-ORD on 25 Feb. Flight departed on time and arrived 40 min early. 2 of 3 FA's good with prompt service. Third was trying, but seemed befuddled at multi-tasking, thus often a step or two behind. Nice touch that rather than leave the mid flight option at the galley, they did a more formalized service. Food on primary meal was so-so, for example my tilapia and shrimp had no tilapia. The per-arrival burrito was actually quite good. Seats were comfortable, though a bit narrow and limited space to neighbor.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by H Lee    (USA)

EWR (NJ) direct to POS (Trinidad). The United Club was unfortunate and so was the outdated 737-800 (UA1505) that took us to our Christmas vacation. Save your money folks, and fly coach. This class of service is not worth the extra cost. I would say the worst part about flying United is the unenthusiastic and unhelpful service. No big surprise to anyone who flies United regularly. I also bought the Premier Accelerator and Reward Accelerator erroneously, thinking that I would maintain my Status Match level with this flight. The "fine print" here, is that the Accelerator is not permitted in achieving status if you're doing a Match, but their web site will continually advertise it to you, like it is. You will also be allowed to buy this product which I now have deep regret doing.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by J Anderson    (UK)

Our last series of flights (from the UK to the USA, and also within the USA) were quite simply the worst travel experience we have had in over 30 years of being regular international and national travellers. Staff in the business class lounge were unhelpful, badly informed and unfriendly. Flight was delayed and we were initially held sitting on board for several hours. Then had to de-board, and a few hours later the flight was cancelled. We had to exit through the baggage hall. Despite having a lot of baggage and having already been assured we could leave our checked baggage with United staff, one member of staff told us "we won't look after this, anybody can take it and it's not our responsibility and then decided to insist we take our bags out immediately. The hotel United put us in was dreadful. Put on a fight the following day. We used air miles to upgrade to business class: United's configuration of the new, extra-slim business class seats is awful. 2x4x2. Paying business class and being stuck in the middle with no dividers between two people you don't know? Hardly classy treatment! Seats are so thin that anyone with broad shoulders will be very uncomfortable. One of the internal flights in the USA was so cold that everyone sat shivering in their overcoats. At every airport in the USA staff were at best ungracious and unfriendly. Everything was too much trouble for them. United has also downgraded its Silver status so that now you only get one free bag, not two. It is very sad to see the appalling way that United Airlines' service has plummeted.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Sheikh Hassan    (Canada)

FLL to EWR to SFO. UA1024 for the EWR leg firstly the pilot taxied too close to the corner and got stuck in snow. Solved that with a pull out and then the fun started. Pilot came on and said we are rerouted and he doesn't have enough fuel but that he is protesting with the tower. Over an hour later we are at a gate being fuelled. The gate agent refused to assist me in finding another route home since 2 hours had passed and I was certain I'd missed my connection in SFO. No hotel because they said the delay was due to weather not incompetence. The new customer focus they speak of is a facade. Flight was Feb 21. SFO has comfortable chairs but not to sleep on.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by A Paris    (USA)

I'm currently sitting at the gate for my United flight at LAX. A gentleman came out of the gate off of a flight, obviously in a hurry and quickly asked where the connecting flight for Newark was. The staff here looked at him like it was the most inconvenient question in the world. They closed the doors for the tarmac before all passengers were inside which left them outside knocking on the door. Not one member of the staff let them in, so an airline customer opened the door which set off an alarm. Again the staff did nothing and let the alarm go off for minutes. Definitely not impressed, not to mention every time the gal came over the loud speaker she sounded like se had no clue what was going on. She kept getting flights confused and putting out wrong information. I will make sure I don't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Lowie Starr    (USA)

2 flights Feb 14 and Feb 17, LAX-SFO, both last about 1 hour. Check in was a breeze though, the process within LAX domestic wing can be a bit testy. Full flight on both ways with only drinks service given on economy. No entertainment system just some random loop of Olympic commercial. Flight attendants are organized and accommodating. Storage was a bit tricky and always a pain since all pax are not checking luggage so it gets full, leg room is quite cramped even though I'm only 5'8''. Landing was good and was out the airport within 10 minutes. first leg was delayed 1 hour due to late turn around of the plane, pilots were very informative throughout. Flights used ancient 737 and 757 on this leg so it can get stuffy. It wasn't bad but wasn't spectacular either, just something that will get you from point a to b without much fuss.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by J Barnett    (USA)

0 for 3! United Airlines failed to depart all of my flights this week on time by greater than an hour. Two of which were in excess of 2 hours. This resulted in my decision to cancel my last leg (which I was going to miss anyway) with them and drive 5 hours in the middle of the night to get to my destination. I didn't want to take the risk of staying overnight and not getting home. Apparently they don't have any concern for their customers and their timelines. Probably won't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by P Williams    (Canada)

PSP-Houston-Washington-Ottawa. Arrived 1 hour and 45 mins prior to departure. In PSP they had 3 flights (Denver, San Fran and Houston) all leaving within 30 mins. They had 3 attendants, each flight left without people who were left in line because of the counter delays. Staff were less than helpful. No organization, no communication. We got to the gate with 5 mins to spare. On the Houston - Washington segment, they arrived with time left on the inflight movie - so no one saw the ending. I will not use United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by N Hieu    (USA)

Really simple flight from Los Angeles, CA to Newark, NJ at 11.30pm, then a connecting flight from Newark, NJ to Boston, MA (1.5 hrs buffer). Total time should have been 6-7 hours. Problems started in Los Angeles when the gate person told us that there was a mechanical problem on the plane. Many people had connecting flights and so a long line formed. One person was at the desk creating new boarding passes. For some reason, it took him about 10,000 keystrokes to issue each pass. Two hours, he issued a total of two boarding passes. The line became exceedingly long, and then he called in a manager who whispered in his ear, then left. Another associate came in, talked to the associate at the counter and walked away. Flight arrives late and then I have to wait 7 hours for another flight to Boston. Total travel time ended up being over 17 hours. Horrible experience, inept customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Juraj Kovac    (Czech Republic)

Flew FRA-EWR and IAD-FRA last week and I have to confess: flying United is like blind tasting every-flavor beans. Their website and mobile app are an atrocity, then again the flights were absolutely fine. The 15+ years old B777s with refurbished 3-3-3 cabins are way more spacious than many of the newer planes, though 31" seat pitch in coach feels borderline cramped. IFE screens are tiny, but the AVOD selection is downright impressive. Unlike previous trips, the staff were courteous, attentive and efficient. Even the meals were rather delicious, as far as airline food goes. There was plenty of drinks throughout the flight, frequent updates from the crew and we even cut down a 40min delay to an on-time arrival to FRA - altogether an enjoyable travel experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by D Glesby    (Canada)

YWG-ORD-FLL-ORD-YWG. Check seemed more complicated than other carriers, but did manage to figure it out. Left YWG on-time. Arrived into ORD more or less on time. Had 50 minutes to get to next gate which was miles away. Got to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare. 4/7 of my group members got seats. Three were put up in a hotel for the afternoon and the closest United could get them to FLL the same day was to fly to MEM. They arrived in MEM only having to drive 13 hours to get to FLL. They were fairly compensated, that was the only good part of the outbound trip. On the way back, check in was a breeze as it was deserted. Ended up getting to the gate with about 2 hours to spare. Plane was delayed about 25 minutes, aggravating but didn't lose any sleep over it. Got into ORD a couple minutes late. My connection to YWG was supposed to be 40 minutes but our plane which was coming in from SAV was 4.5 hours late leaving thus delaying us 4.5 hours. I was insulted as we only received a $7 voucher. The only shop that was open was a McDonald's which was in the American Airlines terminal which was miles away. Winnipeggers don't have much choice in air travel, but I will do my best to avoid United in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by J Harris    (Australia)

LAX-JFK, EWR-LAX. Pros: two helpful ground agents and warm, friendly lounge staff at LAX. Decent IFE and comfortable seat for the 5 hour flight. Cons: Too many to mention but mainly staff attitude about everything. Even the simplest task is completed with a sigh and a roll of the eyes. I've never experienced boarding a flight before while the crew talked amongst themselves and literally ignored passengers boarding - not even a request to show boarding passes. I've honestly never been tested with such consistent disdain by employees of a company to which I'm paying a considerable chunk of money. It got to the point where I just smiled to myself with amusement at their unprofessional and frankly useless and unhelpful manner. I only flew UA as a code share with AirNZ but can honestly say I will never ever waste my time or money again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by A Davidson    (Canada)

This review relates to a 5 flight itinerary booked with United. Other than flight segment 3 which was with Lufthansa from Barcelona (BCN) to Munich (MUC) the other 4 flights were with United Airlines. The problem started when United had a schedule change which did not allow us a legal connection in Newark (EWR) on the outbound flight to Barcelona (BCN). We received an e-mail from United informing us of a change in time to an earlier flight from Phoenix (PHX) to Newark (EWR) allowing us a legal connection for our flight. This in itself was a bit annoying since we went from an original connection time of one hour to a four hour connection. Unfortunately, we "accepted" the change on-line which was the first error on our part. The day prior to departing from Phoenix, we received the usual message telling us we could print our boarding passes. This worked fine until we checked the boarding passes only to find out there was no longer the priority boarding we had booked and paid for. This resulted in spending over an hour on the phone to United. As it turned out, with every segment flown with United, it was necessary to go through the whole process of having them reprint boarding passes which showed the priority boarding and then only after we had provided them with proof this had been purchased. As for the flights themselves? The usual experience of dealing with disinterested flight attendants, barely edible food and the fact, as I was told, "United no longer offers special meals (eg: low cholesterol or diabetic) but does provide a kosher meal for its Jewish and Muslim passengers and a beef free meal for its Sikh passengers. So, all in all, the poor service of United Airlines appears to be the norm more and more these days rather than the exception which really is a problem for the UA's promise that we are "flying the friendly skies".

United Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Martin Cohen    (UK)

My sister, wife and I travelled Heathrow to Chicago, to Denver and onto Minot, ND. Booked meals asked for veggie for me on the first flight. Lousy onboard service, Chicago chaotic. Flight on small jet to Minot was excellent. return was via Washington. Lousy flight, uncomfortable seats on United, tight for me at 6'3", on board attendants no patience. Food again on return was unplanned.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by E Waxman    (USA)

Planned a vacation to Australia and New Zealand over a year ago! Left EWR on Jan 22 for SFO, flight was delayed almost 2 hours (waited about 40 mins to take off), most of the delay was caused by a mechanical problem. Pilot apologized for problem, saw mechanic going back and forth down aisle. Had a connecting flight to Sydney, with 1.5 hr layover. Notified flight attendant about connection and pilot contacted United to let them know that there were a number of people on the flight connecting to Sydney. Was told plane was taking off "on time", Got into SFO in enough time to make connection, but sat on tarmac for 20 mins. waiting for gate. No gate agent, no transportation - just run. Got to gate at 10.42, doors closed at 10.40. United's response - tough. One flight a day to Sydney. Customer service said EWR flight was delayed due to weather (untrue), therefore no compensation. Was upgraded to First class for following days flight. One hour before departure, United takes away our first class tickets, and gives seats to United employees (saw the badge) - unbelievable! Don't want to bore you with the return flights, but suffice it to say had to spend two nights in SFO, of course no compensation.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Bar Artur    (Poland)

I flew United on domestic US flights 3 times in last month and I am very disappointed by their customer care. They haven't informed passengers that due to delays their connection flight (on the same flight number as from Portland to Las Vegas through San Francisco) would be missed - they knew that before boarding the first plane. Secondly, they ignored passengers who had to sleep at San Francisco airport on the floor, having all restaurants and half of restrooms closed. When coming back from US to Poland (3 flights - 17 hours) I couldn't check an additional bag (as I should have Star Alliance Silver status) informing me that these were Lufthansa regulations and they have their own united and they don't care or I will have to pay 200$. I was forced to check the carry-on luggage as they found they had no free space onboard. Of course my hand luggage was an appropriate size. I am very disappointed and will do my best not to use United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Bill Duston    (USA)

I was very pleased with the service I received on United during the recent bout of nasty weather. I left Charlotte going to Chicago and then onto Duluth, MN. My Charlotte-Chicago flight was cancelled due to the weather and the agent here in Charlotte handled things quite professionally. The same held true in O'Hare when flying back to Charlotte. It was snowing pretty hard in Chicago and a number of flights were already cancelled. I asked to be rebooked on an earlier flight that was scheduled to go out. Again, the agent handled things quite well. I wish all carriers had airport staff as professional as those at United.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Shannon Koby    (Canada)

We just finished a trip to Belize from Edmonton Canada. This was our first time using a US airline. We flew with United and we were pleasantly surprised. Our only real issue was that the TV's were not available.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Jason Douglas    (USA)

Flight from HNL to Denver has been sitting at gate for 2 hrs, and no information given other than cargo door problem. I quit flying United several years ago, but booked this flight due to price. Never again. Will now miss my connecting flight to DSM. Will not make this mistake using this airline again. On flight over to HNL, the entertainment system did not work.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Jim Bedford    (USA)

Worst airline I have ever been on. So far UAL has cancelled 3 flights from EWR to BOS with the excuses being weather, crew and now mechanical. That's 3 separate planes. Seats in economy are tight with virtually no movement. I'll never fly them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by T Stafford    (Australia)

Arrived Tullamarine (Melbourne, Australia) for long planned family holiday to USA. Informed flight cancelled and next flight was two days away! No apology, no explanation. Flights through to LA and then to New York uneventful. Flight home from JFK - baggage issues plane delayed on tarmac for close to two hours, no amenities from staff, water etc. LA connection end then delayed by non appearing traveller. Flight to Sydney diverted to Brisbane due to low fuel, missed connecting flights and luggage 'lost' (arrived 11pm, four days later). United never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Ian Smith    (UK)

GLA-EWR-MCO return. Transatlantic flights were pretty decent considering they were on a 757-200. The staff were friendly enough, and the food both ways was fine, either chicken, beef, or veggie option, soft drinks free, pay for alcohol. Flights in the US were OK with more legroom than the transatlantic flights, and both were pretty much on time. Overall a decent enough product if you don't set your expectations too high, and with United flying direct to the US from Glasgow, I would use them again for the convenience of not flying via London or Amsterdam.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 February 2014 by R DiSalvo    (Canada)

YOW-ORD-HNL-LIH and return HNL-ORD-YOW. We were lucky to have a great inflight crew both ways. Perhaps the inflight crew was in a great mood going to Hawaii, and as well maybe a very relaxed crew returning home. Goes to show you what a difference in a great attitude makes. The passengers were also very co-operative. We did leave Chicago 3 hours late. We had to finally switch planes. Good thing that the replacement plane had the same seat configuration, which avoided a lot of chaos. Wish all my flights were as positive as this one.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2014 by J Chauhan    (Canada)

Worst airline and worst customer service anyone can ever imagine. 4 hour delay on the plane then cancellation next morning, again 4 hour delay while sitting on the plane and then cancellation. 3rd day waiting for an hour to get my luggage, checked in when there were only 3 people in front of me. Staff had no idea. This was from Regina to Denver. By the time we were done with staff we were already late for boarding.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

Just returned from a 3 week trip, LHR-ORD-SEA returned ACV-SFO-LHR, much better flight with united then previous flights in 2013. Inflight entertainment much improved, food pretty much the same flew economy plus cabin, free alcohol outbound but alcohol charged on the inbound flights. Far greater than Virgin Atlantic, will fly United again when I travel in two months.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by Leena Hupe    (Canada)

Just flew United to Honolulu from Canada. Worst possible flight from Chicago. No entertainment no WiFi and absolutely no food or snacks were given. Mechanical issue delayed us for 2 hrs. Will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by C Gregersen    (USA)

My husband's father passed away 2 days ago. We scrambled to get him on a flight that wasn't too terribly expensive and would get him there in an expeditious manner. He flew from LAX to SFO. The plane he was supposed to be on in SFO had mechanical difficulties. They brought in another plane from Vegas. This second plane had problems as well. It took an additional 5.5 hours for him to get on his way to his family.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

Flew LAX-SFO-ORD-LAX last week in First. Had a really enjoyable service and even with a 45 minute weather delay due to incoming aircraft off the east coast, still arrived in O'Hare relatively punctual. Outbound aircraft was the 737-900 with Boeing Sky Interior - which is very calming for a 4.5 hour flight. The only drawback was it was so new that the IFE hadn't been installed yet (not a deal-breaker as I normally read/work). Return aircraft 757-200 International config with on-demand. The best part of the trip were the crew. Both directions they were attentive and intuitive. They learned my drink order upon getting settled in and never had to ask again (with repeated re-fills). Menus have been upgraded and for a domestic First, it was a great experience and worth the ticket.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by W Gromlich    (USA)

Delay of 4 hours then cancellation with another 4 hour wait for customer service on scheduled flight from SFO to HNL is totally unforgivable and there were no weather issues involved. Date of travel was to be 18 Jan 2014 and rebooked on 19 Jan 2014. Definitely cannot recommend United ever again.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Astuni Simone    (USA)

Took several flights in the last couple of months from EWR-HKG, ORD-HKG, NRT-EWR. The only positive item is inflight entertainment on the 777. Food: first meal - barely edible, snack: unedible (half frozen sandwich), third meal: terrible. Now United have started charging for wine on such flights which last year didn't. Staff: terrible: I was given terrible attitude by a flight attendant, didn't respond to several attendant calls for a long time. There are several airlines doing such routes all of them providing far better service than United.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Lee Matthew    (Hong Kong)

Flew from HKG-ORD and ORD to IAD. I had very low expectations on United. Surprisingly HKG-ORD ultra long haul flight has excellent service. Probably this is because the flight is staffed by Hong Kong-based crews. The 777-200ER aircraft has decent AVOD. Food is average but the crews offer multiple drink runs throughout the flight. ORD to IAD domestic flight is normal US standard. Only drink is served. PTV is useless unless you pay to watch Direct TV. Service by cabin crew very average. The experience is 4 star for the international flight and I would not hesitate to fly United if Hong Kong crews serve the flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by D Griego    (USA)

My pregnant wife and I had to fly to Maryland from Hawaii. As we were leaving for the airport I get a notification that the plane was experiencing mechanical issues and the flight was delayed. I contacted them and discussed how our delay was going to affect our connecting flight in San Francisco. I was told it would not be an issue. Upon arrival in San Francisco, I learned that was not the case. I was told we had to wait a few hours and was going to Houston where I would be connected to Baltimore. We arrived in Houston and was greeted by another rude employee telling us the delay caused us to miss the connector to Baltimore and would get us a later flight, putting us in Baltimore around 10pm and that was our only option. I walked outside to get some air and saw a supervisor at the ticket counter. I explained the story to her, she offered to get on a flight that would put us in DC. On our arrival we learned that after what was to be a 12-13 hour flight that turned into a twenty something hour flight zig zagging across country. United did not have our luggage and it was sitting in an airport in New Jersey.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by K Flamm    (USA)

Flight from Houston to SLC on 2/1/2014 a family of six, including a 6 year old, 4 year old and twin 2 year olds. When we checked in at the gate the gentleman at the gate was very short and rude, and bluntly stated that we had not reserved our seating online as required, when actually we had several months in advance. He took our tickets and forced us to stand by and wait for everyone else to board the plane, every time we tried to ask him any questions he completely ignored and avoided us. After everyone else was on board he shoved some tickets at us and sent us on the plane with 4 small kids and 2 car seats. We were scattered throughout the plane. Fortunately, the staff on the plane were accommodating enough to rearrange seating a little in order to get my husband or I as close as possible to our kids, but we were still very separated. We also found out that several other families were separated on the plane as well. The entire flight was very stressful and unnerving and after this experience I will never fly with United again based on the treatment of the man at the gate. I would not recommend United Airlines to any families as none of our flights were accommodating to young families with kids and car seats as most airlines are.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by R Purdy    (Australia)

Lost bags, delayed flights, lack of communication, wrong allocation of seats (such as row 50 in an airline that only has 46 rows) and rude staff have made my collective experience with United Airlines a negative one. To give them 1 star for each of these categories is a stretch. I wish I had read the reviews before booking so many flights with them as it seems that the rest of their previous customers are just as satisfied as I. Literally days wasted in airports and kilometres walked trying to get answers from staff who clearly are in the wrong line of work given their communication skills. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Rick Yah    (Singapore)

DEN-LHR on Christmas Eve. No food service for 50% of Economy class cabin, as crew claimed that ground staff forgot to load enough food for all passengers in this class due to "holiday mood". When complained to crew, they said it is unfortunate and can send letter to head office if dis-satisfied with service. Last time to fly with UA.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by James Wallace    (USA)

Newark to Hong Kong in Economy Plus. The flight left early and arrived late which made for a 16.5 hour flight. It was a very smooth flight and the fasten seatbelt sign was turned off 2 hours after take-off. I asked for a glass of red wine and was told that United began charging $7.99 a glass on flights across the Pacific Ocean on Jan 1 2014. No hot towels were provided. The meal came with plastic tableware. The individual in-flight entertainment worked well on the 777-200. 2 hours before landing there were a couple of bumps and the fasten seatbelt sign was on for the remaining 2 hours of the flight. On a 16 hour flight, it is nice to use the toilet to freshen up before landing. No toothbrush or socks were provided. I purchased the more expensive W ticket because I had an upgrade but the business/first section was full two weeks before departure.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by C Bersillon    (France)

I took United from Paris to Washington DC and then from DC to Richmond, VA. The first flight was ok despite no communication or service from the crew. The second flight has one hour delay so far. Not very happy about flying with United. I won't recommend it.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by W Kirschbaum    (USA)

We flew from Newark to Panama City, Panama. Flight arrived 30 mins late at 11pm. The flight was OK, except for no entertainment as the paying entertainment was not worth it. No free food, even that had to be paid for - we didn't. Pilots were pretty uncommunicative, and the cabin crew indifferent. The seats are real torture, too narrow, hard and poor legroom combine to make 5 hours feel like forever!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2014 by Doig John    (UK)

ORD-FLL on 18 January. Paid for upgrade to 1st class as a birthday treat! Very helpful staff at ORD to assist with check-in. As a Star Alliance Gold with A3, following security checks I was able to use the Club Lounge facilities. Being morning, items for a continental type breakfast were available. The lounge was however very busy. The flight boarded on time and departed 30 minutes late due to airport operational issues at FLL. (out of  the control of UA) Orders for breakfast were taken prior to departure (2 choices) and delivered in a friendly way while en-route. The aircraft B737-800, appeared new, the cabin was clean and comfortable. In spite of the late departure, the flight arrived in FLL around 5 minutes late.

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2014 by J Thomas    (USA)

Flew Denver to Tokyo, Flight left 2 hrs. late (mech) so we missed our connecting flight, arrived 9 hrs late. On the way back they changed our seats at boarding and put us next to the bathroom, got to hear the toilet flush and the door slam for 10 hours, I'll never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Sebastian O'Connor    (USA)

IAD to DEN. Economy class on a 757. On time for departure and arrival, quite good service from attendants. Aircraft sported outdated overhead CRT for in flight entertainment and my audio jack didn't work correctly. Also no wifi or power outlets. Seats comfy but a little small. Had to pay 9 dollars for a large snack, which is too much frankly. Fine for the low fare I got but not much else.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by H Mann    (USA)

We flew to Geneva from ABQ on 1/16 - 1/26. Flight UA5176, UA907, UA975Y, UA783Y. To start we had a 5 hr delay and our party of 6 had to be split up and re-routed to reach our overseas destination (this was not due to weather). United offered us a measly 7$ credit that was only usable in one airport for food. It didn't even cover a meal. When we finally were on our way there were further delays (once again not weather) and upon arrival our party was split and we had to pt double to take the shuttle separately to our hotel. Very frustrating trip with United!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by C Cotton    (USA)

IAH to CVG: Crowded, dirty, late, with poor customer service from distracted personnel. They act like they simply don't care. If you enjoy riding Greyhound Bus Lines, and want to have that same experience in the air, fly United.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Kathee Miller    (USA)

I purchased first class tickets hoping to make the experience a little better, it didn't help. The food on the flight is horrible. You get a snack box which consists of a couple of crackers, some cheese spread, a fig cookie and some kind of cranberry bar. That is not first class service to me. To make matters worse my bags were lost. It would have taken them two hours to drive it to me instead they had to fly it back then ship it to the correct place. This took about 24 hours when it should have taken 2. To make matters even worse on the flight home my bags didn't make it again. I was told they got put on the later flight. I won't be flying United anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 January 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

I personally have had few problems with them over the last several months. Recently did DEN-SFO-HNL and back. All flights on time and with early arrivals, DEN-SFO segments with newer aircraft with PTVs. The SFO-HNL segments were on the oldest 777 I have ever seen - no food, no entertainment, nothing for 5 hours is not really acceptable. Crews smiled on all segments and actually seemed happy to be at work, which is a change. Ground staff at SFO were also helpful.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 January 2014 by Louie Vince    (USA)

Flew United 261, LAX to Orlando, Economy Plus. No music, no movie (not even plug for headset), only ability to purchase wifi for $9.99. Remodelled seats with less padding.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax