Turkish Airlines Passenger Reviews and Turkish Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Visit Turkish Airlines

a World 4-Star Airline

Turkish Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

LAX-IST-BCN and return. Turkish continues to be a favorite with the finest catering I have encountered on any airline. On the intercontinental segments, both the appetizer and the dessert are chosen from a cart laden (truly) with an incredible selection of options. The menu is extensive and provides something for every taste. While food in Business Class is generally good on every airline, Turkish takes it to a new level and provides and experience worth anticipation. The crews are friendly and the seating is comfortable for long flights. All services were on time and the Istanbul Lounge is a wonderful place for relaxing between flights.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by K Grzymski    (Canada)

TXL-IST-KRT return. With Lufthansa stopping its flights to KRT in January no major European airline flies there anymore. Thus flying from Europe the shortest route one has to take either Turkish Airlines or Egyptair. Since I had good experience with THY in the past I took them once again and have no complaints, except for the 50 mins delay on the IST-KRT leg and the fact that they stopped serving alcohol on flights to sharia-law countries such as Sudan. The food was good and seats in the 738 were comfortable providing sufficient legroom even for a 4.10 hrs IST-KRT flight. Ataturk airport has been renovated since my last visit there and the wait for the connecting flights was quite pleasant.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Le Jeune    (UK)

I fly every 3 weeks on Turkish. Having a good experience is like a game of roulette. Some aircraft's are excellent, others very old and shabby. Economy class does what it says on the tin, but Business class is generally below the standard of peers. However one thing is constant: the poor level of service. If anything goes wrong or if you have a special request, just forget about it and remember this is an emerging airline. Cheap A to B in economy, why not? But as a business traveler, I cannot honestly recommend Turkish.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by C Chun    (Thailand)

Quick flight IST-ATH return on the A321. Was really impressed by the 'picnic basket' served for breakfast both ways by DO&CO. They do the best catering. Service was fine but the stand out is their lounge at Istanbul Airport. It is fantastic showcasing the best of Turkish cuisine.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by S Bordachev    (Russia)

Lyon-IST-Moscow. 2 delays on our flights. Each of them for more than 30 minutes. Food quality was good. Not enough space for legs.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Joe Seb    (UK)

MAN-IST return. Efficient check in, clean plane. Good entertainment system. Food quality good. Poor leg room on the A321 in economy. However the same main course was served both sectors and although they give you a menu card with two options, there was in fact only one option on both sectors. No separate drinks service, only with food. Not up to the standard of the ME carriers.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Mohammed Panjwani    (UK)

TK1964, LGW-SAW, TK0898, SAW-IKA on Oct 16th and return on Oct 30th on TK0899, IKA-SAW, TK1963, SAW-LGW. I flew October 2013 from London to Tehran Via IST. This is by far the worst airline I have travelled with, the food was ok but thats about it. The seats are uncomfortable, there is no TV or entertainment. I believe they have new planes with TV's and comfortable seats for transatlantic routes but havent and will never try those.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by W Gaynor    (USA)

I'm a frequent traveler hopping on planes every couple of weeks for U.S. domestic and European travel and my recent experience flying Turkish Airlines from Istanbul to JFK is the worst flight experience I have had. It started with not being able to contact the airline on the day of the flight to confirm the flight time on March 30th, a day that Europe moved to daylight saving time, but the Turkish government for some odd reason decided to delay the switch for twenty-four hours at the last minute. Next a surly person at the Turkish Airline check-in counter followed by a lengthy delay for takeoff due to the computer-automated baggage system being down. On the flight my travel companion and I were separated by the flight crew to accommodate a family that wanted to be seated together. We repeatedly told them we were traveling together, he was moved to economy plus/business with plenty of seats around him, but they refused to move me. So on an eleven-hour flight I ended up with no one to chat with. Finally the plane was full of toddlers and clearly the flight crew was having difficulty keeping the bathrooms clean and the cabin ended up smelling awful for the last 2 to 3 hours of the flight. On pulling out my laptop to do some work I discovered there was not enough room with the seat in front of me to actually open the laptop fully.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Rossini Maitre    (USA)

I flew from JFK to Madrid and back from Rome to JFK. Outbound flight was not a good one with a delay resulting in missing our connecting flight to Madrid, but it was mainly due to heavy snow and delay at JFK itself. However the returning flight was a real nightmare: We (family of 4) were not given the seats we reserved on the phone with the airline. They cancelled our flight out of Rome and replaced it with one leaving 4 hours later and arriving at IST 2 hours after our connecting flight to JFK left. The funny thing is that on the phone and at the Rome airport, the reps I spoke to kept reassuring us that we will be able to catch our flight anyway. Of course they were not being truthful and we missed our flight and were put in a hotel. We had to pay Turkish entry visas. But the worst came when they made pre-arrangement with the hotel for our food. They did not give any voucher, but pre-ordered a dish (same for everybody) consisting in a bowl of some kind of soup, a fistful of rice with a piece of unidentified meat on top and no dring (not even water) allowed. They had no consideration for people's choice or diet preferences. You may get lucky but you may also dearly regret flying with them.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Mandy Vassigh    (USA)

This was my 4th trip with Turkish and will be my last. Coming back from Istanbul to Houston on April 6th, all the flight attendants were missing in action for about 6-7 hours. They ran out of chicken by the time they got to row 31. No beverages were offered for hours and after ringing 3 times and getting nowhere, I had to get up and go and look for someone. Service has gone down considerably since 2008. The seats are very tight, I am a small person and was having hard time in the economy seats.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by T Foran    (Canada)

YYZ-IST. Our aircraft arrived past our departure time, so we were 2.5 hours late leaving. On Board: Turkish's Comfort Class well done, food service and comfort. Seat was not great for sleep, but we managed. Arriving very late at IST and line up for passport control for over 45 minutes, we felt fortunate that our luggage was still there as it was almost an hour before we got to luggage belt. If we arrived on time this would not have happened. All of last five flights with TK were late.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Gouranga Roy    (UK)

TK1980 (14/3/2014) and 1985 (31/3/2014). Flights both outward and in were nightmares. For economy passengers, the cabin, seats, food etc were fine. The cabin crew onboard were courteous enough. Onboard entertainment on outward flight was fine. The connecting flights were the ones that caused problems. On our outward journey, there was only one hour allowed for us to get to the connecting flight from Istanbul to Dhaka. This one hour is too little. I am 71 years old, and I was made to run behind the porter who was young and strong and was running and pushing my wife in a wheelchair through various check points to get us to the connecting flights on time. On the way back it was even worse. This time, the time allowed for changeover at Istanbul was 1.5 hrs. The plane arrived late and after a very long wait, the plane eventually stopped on one part of the runway. Passengers were bussed away and then the marathon began for them to get to the terminal for connecting flights. Same again, running behind the porter pushing and running with my wife in the wheelchair. He managed to get us to the plane, but just. There was no onboard entertainment on the flight from Dhaka to Istanbul.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Neill Patrick    (UK)

Chose the airline due to recommendation and price. Went from Gatwick to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul, experienced a long delay on the outward leg at Istanbul but otherwise flights were on time. Staff were very attentive and the food was excellent. When transferring flights at Istanbul on the return leg, queues were dreadful requiring us to go through security again - this needs to be sorted out! However would certainly use them again as overall the level of service was extremely high.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by C Denson    (UK)

LGW to Istanbul on 1 April return 6 April. As always the flight was on time, the service friendly and the food good. Fantastic value for money and couldn't fault anything.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Lesley Bradley    (Botswana)

Johannesburg to Istanbul on 3rd April 2014, flight TK 41. The flight was full yet flight attendants graciously attended to each passenger. They smiled and were extremely polite, which is something that seems to be lacking across a number of airlines. Aircraft was very clean, in great condition and the interior - in turquoise colour had a calming Mediterranean feeling to it. We were offered Turkish delights and dried fruit. Dinner followed, it was sumptuous, served with a variety of wines and other drinks. It was a pleasant 8 hour flight, I was comfortable throughout. Toilets were spacious and clean. Throughout the flight the attendants were always nearby.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by David Bass    (UK)

BHX-BKK, March 24th. Birmingham to Istanbul all OK. Istanbul to BKK awful, time to get a drink 1.5 hours, time to dinner nearly 3 hours despite them setting the table within 20 minutes of take off. Bar service in view at front of business class showed their lack of attention to detail, was asked 3 times what red wine I wanted and had to point at the menu don't think the hostess new difference between white and red as she was looking at all labels! When dinner was served it was very late so I turned it down, not asked if I wanted breakfast and was not offered it on waking up. Come on Turkish you tell a good story but in reality. Price was very good which is why I tried Turkish lets see what return from Beijing brings on 10th.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by L Barron    (USA)

I think the flight from Houston to Istanbul for one leg of the trip. Another leg from Istanbul to Rome. Another leg Rome to Istanbul back to Houston and I was satisfied with the flight. I took the Houston to Istanbul and Istanbul to Houston before and decided to go again on this airline. The flights left on time and arrived on time.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Derek Salter    (South Africa)

Economy LGW-CPT via IST on 31 March. New 737-900ER plane to IST. Very comfortable, spacious with plenty of leg room. Service good, special meal arrived as ordered and pleasant. Easy transfer at IST despite being bussed to terminal. Boarding on CPT flight chaotic - started before doors to ramp open so standing around a long time. Flight very full - seats less comfortable than the 737 (older 330) and less leg room. Staff particularly good on this flight - attentive, special meal again, available for refreshments throughout the flight. Good communication from crew to passengers. Well recommended if you can get a good price to compensate for longer journey time between UK and SA.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by B Pleterski    (Austria)

All 4 flights reasonably good (Vienna-Male and back, via Istanbul), however mostly unfriendly crew and delays of 2 of 4 flights. The delay as such was not too bad, but the frustrating thing was that the pilots gave no information at all to the passengers. Imagine a delay of 1 hour, and you sit in the plane, and get no information about reason/extent of delay, despite begging flight attendants for information. Pilots just did not care about passengers, hope it is not the culture of Turkish Airlines. And there are two extremes: no announcements with regard to flight delay, but otherwise so many announcements of useless information, that passengers really got irritated. I'm sure Turkish Airlines is quite high in the ratio of announcement time versus flying time. Would be good if they reduce the announcement to the extent of other airlines. Please announce/talk less to passengers!

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by B Brandstätter    (Germany)

IST-KTM. Flight was delayed 2.5 hours. No staff at the gate to provide information. Onboard the aircraft personal reading lights were either on and flight attendants were not able to switch them off or vv. IFE was only showing the flight information. The AVOD system was working for half an hour only, then it crashed and flight attendants neither attempted to reset it nor was any announcement made regarding this. After landing in KTM a single panel with three oxygen masks dropped down the row in front of me. On the bright side: Food was excellent.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Z Nazir    (Malaysia)

We boarded a flight from Edin to Istanbul on 23/3/14. The cabin was rather small (seating of 2 and 3) and the air- conditioning was rather warm! Seats can be rather cramped if you are on the plus size. No negative comments about the food though. However, Istanbul airport was chaotic. Going through passport control took us a good one hour. The next leg of our flight was Istanbul -Kuala Lumpur on a much bigger plane. Again, the food was satisfactory. Service was ok and inflight entertainment featured some of the latest movies. Nevertheless, the cabin temperature was a bit warm. We got a good deal on the tickets (1900 pounds for 5 pax) so I guess I shouldn't complain much.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by M Brandt    (Switzerland)

I flew in business class from Zurich to Johannesburg and back via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Their business class product for short haul was by far the best business class I have experienced in Europe. The crew were friendly and efficient, the seat pitch was good and the food was absolutely great. The lounge in Istanbul is one of the nicest business class lounges I have been in. The long-haul sector to Johannesburg and back was also great. OK, the seat and the inflight entertainment and not the most modern, but they were well within acceptable bounds. Once again flight crews were friendly and efficient. No problems at any time with ground services. No delays and bags all delivered promptly and in good shape.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by A Pagan    (Greece)

IST-JIB with return. Both sectors brand new A321 with very good IFE. Food always above standards and plenty of soft drinks (no spirits on these flights). Cabin crew very attentive. The outbound leg arrived 30 minutes early. However the return had a delay of 30 minutes and I had a connection flight to catch (1h 30 min). This is the biggest issue with THY. Ground handling in IST. Although they were informed they did nothing. Long bus ride and then the chaotic security control of IST airport. The only reason that I didn't miss the next flight was a 20 minute delay. As far as it goes for value for money.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by L Gautam    (UK)

My husband I are seasoned travellers. We travelled to Kathmandu from the UK via Birmingham and back again with a 3 day stop over in Istanbul. On our journey back we missed our flight due to a faulty flight display system which did not show that the plane was boarding and a public announcement system which did not announce the flight. The staff on the ground were rude, discourteous and unhelpful. It took the airport staff to help us. Much needs to be done to improve services.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by M Slabbinck    (Belgium)

I flew TK1939 (IST-BRU) in an Airbus 321. I had forgotten how pleasant flying economy class could be after all those hated Ryanair flights. Every seat has a personal screen with loads of movies to chose from. Fortunately, the 3 hour flight gave me enough time to watch a full movie. Food was delicious. They even brought a menu with a choice of two plates. Wine was free. There even was a cook (complete with a cook hat). I know -it's just a flight attendant dressed differently, but I bought it. Being a Gold elite member at Star Alliance, I had access to the Turkish Airlines lounge before the flight. Truly wonderful. Spacious, a great buffet and even a golf simulator to kill time. From now on, I will use Turkish Airlines for all my flights to Asia, avoiding Lufthansa and Frankfurt or Munich!

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by I Rafael    (USA)

I flew on flight #8 from IAD to IST and was quite impressed, food was very good, entertainment could be better but I guess it is enough to get by. Service is good however you might encounter a little attitude at times from the flight attendants. The departure back to IAD on flight #7 was also quite nice with some attitude problems from some flight attendants. Departure from IST is a bit disorganised, you have to go trough a lot of security to board that flight to DC in Istanbul. I would fly this way again to go to Europe my final destination was Zurich, Switzerland and those flights were great and on time.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Bader Al omar    (UK)

DXB-IST, 24th Jan, TK 0761. IST-HBE, 25th Jan, TK 0696. I was lured to this airline by their extensive advertising, I wish they saved the costs of advertising to improve their equipment and services. I paid for business class and I didn't even get anything near decent economy standard. The plane was old. The seats were in a very bad state. Boarding was chaotic. The second flight was on 25th Jan, IST-HBE. Although I paid for a business class seat, all I got was an economy seat at the front of the plane.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by G Deepak    (UAE)

Dubai to Barcelona via Istanbul (Flight TK 0761 and TK1853, IST - Barcelona) on 15th March, 2014. Flight delayed from Dubai, however, we arrived 50 minutes prior to departure of Barcelona flight. Istanbul airport is a complete mess. Had Turkish airline staff put us as priority at airport security we would have easily caught the flight. We had to arrange an airport hotel at our expense.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by K Mututsang    (USA)

12 Mar 2014, TK 0727, Kathmandu - Istanbul. 13 Mar 2014. TK 0017, Istanbul to Toronto. 14 Mar 2014, AC 7941, Toronto to Minneapolis. I am back from my recent trip to Nepal and I have to say this has been the worst trip I had taken so far. Return trip from Kathmandu to Istanbul was delayed 6 hours thereby missing my connecting flight to USA. They re-routed me through Canada the next day and my baggage was left in Istanbul. Turkish ground staff were inefficient, most do not seem to know what they were doing and keep you waiting for hours.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Adam Wang    (UK)

London-Istanbul-Beijing, Economy class. I have to say this is the best economy class I have experienced. For both segments, Turkish delights are served immediately after takeoff, the food is completely at different classes against other European airlines, juice was freshly squeeze orange juice. For the long haul flight, we were given slippers, ear phones, toothbrush and toothpaste and so on which you do not expect in economy class. However, the drawback is the geography of Turkey has made the flight much longer and the staff in the Istanbul airport are absolute nightmare, although they are not the faults of the airline. However, I have worries about passenger behaviour once the aircraft has touched down, people are standing up and collecting their luggage from the overhead storage, this is the case whether the aircraft is either still on or just leaving the main landing ways. I feel sorry for the cabin crews as there are just so many people and there are little things the crews could do about it.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by R Deu    (Spain)

BCN-IST-LJU in economy, 7 March 2014. One of the better flights on Turkish. What bothers me is the inconstancy of service, staff and maintenance of flight. 1 good flight out of 10. I always select a seat when booking but somehow when I check in, TK always change the seat. As a Gold member I am not able to select exit rows either, not even at online check-in. On both flights I was comfortable however, having an aisle seat, the middle sear next to me was empty, the cabin was not hot at this time and the service was rather good. We were however delayed out of IST for more than 20 mins., but arrived 5 mins late to LJU. I will not fly Turkish for another year, let's see if they get better.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Derek Salter    (South Africa)

LGW to CPT - 27/28 February in Economy. Both planes very full. Easy boarding in London - less so in Istanbul where it was necessary to board a coach to go to the plane. Seats on both were comfortable and inflight entertainment good. Food excellent - special meal provided as requested. Staff very helpful on board and good amenity kit. Highly recommended especially if you can get a promotional fare. Security check on transfer at Istanbul simplified and no lines.

Turkish Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Charlotte Mathiassen    (Denmark)

Copenhagen-Istanbul-Kathmandu on 18th February and back on 24th and that was not a good experience. On the flight from Istanbul to Kathmandu the plane was old and shabby with very little space, the lights at the seats did not work so the light was on in the cabin all night, there were no screens in front of the seats and no entertainment, not even information on the flight on the small communal screens. Nobody served water or anything during the night, dinner was OK but meagre and as a vegetarian I got only half the food of those who had ordered meat. I asked for more but the staff member never came back with it. The flight could not land in Kathmandu due to fog. We were 5 hours late with an extra landing in New Delhi with no food or drink and arrived 5 hours late with no offer of compensation. On the way back again more than 5 hours delay without information as to why, as we arrived in Istanbul it took ages to get tickets for a meal in the airport and when we got them we could only use them in the fast food restaurants in the food court and had to pay ourselves if we wanted to sit in a decent place. All together not to be recommended - and on top of it all the staff was not very friendly and informative.