Air Transat Passenger Reviews and Air Transat Passenger Trip Reports

Air Transat Customer review :  16 October 2013 by M Zanko    (Canada)

September 16, 2013 my husband, daughter and I flew from Athens to Toronto. Unfortunately, when we fastened our seats belts and were ready to depart our captain mentioned that we would be stopping in Paris to get more fuel. I do not understand how a direct flight includes a stop to get gas. Secondly, customers should be warned beforehand because, we would have booked another flight if we had known about this stop. We arrived to Paris at 3.45pm making it a 3 hour flight with an hour late departure from Athens. Told we would be leaving shortly but unfortunately an hour wait turned into a 6 hour wait. During this time, we were told by a crew member that something was wrong with our engine and we would have to wait and see if it could be fixed or not. The way we were all treated was unacceptable! We stayed onboard for 6 hours, we were not given water or food during this wait. We understand that safety is first and that mechanics were working on our plane but no one thought of the passengers. After 6 hours the captain told us that there was a computer problem and it had been reset but then we were told that because of our crew we had to stop again in Newfoundland. After 13 hours on that plane we were fed with a meal. We constantly asked for water and were told that the crew would be coming around for everyone and after waiting an hour no water was given. In the end, we will never fly with Air Transat again and we would not recommend Air Transat. Our 8 hour flight turned into a 20 hour flight.

Air Transat Customer review :  11 October 2013 by K Beadman    (Canada)

YUL-ATH-YUL, Sept 15, 30. Flew outbound on one of the new cabins, nicely done and seatback entertainment is great, good selection, no heads in the way. New seats are closer together and bottom cushions could use extra padding. Still flight was fine no issues. Food drink etc was good. They could cut back on the announcements on an overnight flight when you are trying to catch a few ZZ. Don't really need duty free at 5am. Returned on one of the older models and although it had old layout we preferred since our seats were changed from the 3 configuration by the window to the 2 by the window there seems to be a bit more room. Again no issues with the flight except for the impatient non instruction follow passengers. Pushing people out of the way before the doors are even open won't get you off the plane any quicker.

Air Transat Customer review :  10 October 2013 by K Lee    (Canada)

Good trick to make money for Air Transat, we flew from Toronto to Barcelona, while seated before taking off, the air conditioner was on full blast. Later on flight attendants came out to sell blankets for $9.00 each and you get to keep this blanket. This is the first time I experienced this, advice to all flying Air Transat to have a sweater or jacket at hand before boarding. Other than that, the flight was smooth and service was satisfactory.

Air Transat Customer review :  10 October 2013 by C Thorne    (Canada)

Flew club class into Nice from Montreal on Sept 19 and unfortunately did not get a refurbished aircraft. The service was not very good which has not been my experience in the past. Wouldn't see a flight attendant for an hour or more at a time. Almost had to beg for a glass of water. Food was ok only. We flew back out of Venice club class on Oct 5th and it was a fabulous experience. The aircraft had the new cabin and the staff were excellent. Super service and very attentive. Seats were comfortable and the entertainment system was great. All in all, the return flight was superb, but unfortunate that the 2 trips varied so greatly.

Air Transat Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Toni Roma    (Canada)

I flew Air Transat mid-August 2013 to August 31, 2013 for a tour of Italy. I pre-ordered my seats in order to book a window and 2-seater. I found the leg room to be very roomy. They had mood lighting in the aircraft which was very nice. On the flight from Toronto to Rome I was looking forward to individual TV monitors but there was a change with the aircraft and we had a big screen at the centre of the aircraft. Fortunately returning from Rome to Toronto we did have TV's, leg room and wonderful service. I would recommended.

Air Transat Customer review :  7 October 2013 by B Ciarniello    (Canada)

This was my 2nd trip with Air Transat. This time flew Vancouver-London, September 27, returning October 5, Economy class. Outbound refurbished plane, return trip the more "tired" version. Both trips staff very pleasant and service good (from check-in to arrival). I am not a large person, but I can definitely see how someone close to 6 feet and taller could be quite uncomfortable, but the refurbished cabin is a bit more comfortable, brighter and modern. I would highly recommend bringing your own food and snacks on board, as the food served is absolutely dire. I know this is budget travel but seeing as the food service is about the only thing to look forward to while sitting for 10 hours, surely they could do a little better! I will fly Air Transat again, the money saved is better spent at my destination. I will hope that all of the fleet is refurbished before then, and I will certainly bring my own more nutritious and tasty food!

Air Transat Customer review :  7 October 2013 by F Richardson    (UK)

Traveled from Gatwick on 8th Sep to Calgary and back on 29th September. On both flights my wife needed wheelchair assistance, the whole service was excellent. We booked rear seats in option plus which was worth every penny. The seats were very comfortable on both flights, staff very cheerful and helpful, good food with all the extras of option plus. Both flights were on the upgraded planes with individual entertainment in the back of each seat which was good. All in all I would recommend this Airline to anyone compared to others we have traveled on to Canada. I would most certainly book with them again.

Air Transat Customer review :  4 October 2013 by C Andrews    (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Rome and then Venice to Toronto. Had seats in Club Class Good seats, excellent service and decent food. And your luggage comes off the plane first. Only complaint is that we had to pay extra for bikes and the payment could not be made at the check in counter, but required me to go somewhere else to make the payment. Also, more movies to choose from would have been nice.

Air Transat Customer review :  3 October 2013 by A Scott    (UK)

Outbound flight Gatwick to Toronto was fine, paid for extra leg room and the cabin configuration was the conventional 2,4,2 check in at Gatwick was in the bowels of the building and was tediously slow, good in flight entertainment. Return flight was on their new 3x3x3 configuration which was like flying in a sardine tin. Did not get the extra leg room seats we had ordered and paid for, the new configuration makes it impossible to get any sleep on night flights, the aisles are so narrow that passing passengers, stewards and trolleys bump into you all the time. This is the only overnight transatlantic flight I have ever taken where you need to buy or bring your own blanket! This is taking penny pinching to a whole new level. Food was edible but not a lot of it so if your planning to fly Transat take your own food with you avoid night flights and don't forget your own blanket, shin and elbow guards! I suggest you consider another airline or book their business class option which is competitively priced but difficult to get as there are so few seats (3 rows I think).

Air Transat Customer review :  2 October 2013 by Bobby Giannakopoulos    (Canada)

YUL-ATH-YUL all flights were fine and on time, with the new cabin with individual screens on the outbound leg only. Check in was normal. The seats were uncomfortable for both flights despite the new cabin. In flying entertainment was good for the outbound leg with a choice of recent movies but it was bad on the return flight that showed 3 old movies on the overhead screens. The service onboard was normal, nothing special. The crew was fine but some of them are rude and unwelcoming towards ground agents. I usually fly with Air Transat because there's convenient non stop flights and I had a stand by ticket so no complains on that side. Overall Air Transat is not the best airline as it claims and if you expect a 5 star service it's not the right airline.

Air Transat Customer review :  30 September 2013 by K Pruden    (Canada)

Calgary to London Gatwick and return. Everything was very smooth, efficient and pleasant on both fights from check-in to in-flight service and getting our baggage. The flight to London was overnight and there weren't individual screens (3 out of 5 *), but they did play a movie or 2 and a show perhaps on the overhead monitors. I was trying to sleep, so I didn't pay attention, although I did notice the picture in the screens would jump/flicker regularly. The food was okay for airplane food, and they were good with running the drink carts up and down regularly, while still allowing quiet time for people to rest. The lighting overhead was really neat since it mimicked sunset and sunrise accordingly. The flight back to Calgary was daytime and there were individual seat back monitors which was awesome. Good selection of free tv shows, movies, even games and it worked flawlessly (5 out of 5*). I bought the ear buds on board with one of the packages available: the ear buds, a snack (chocolate bar) and an alcohol beverage (Baileys) for $9 or $10. You could buy them separately for $3. Lunch wasn't fantastic taste-wise, I had the chicken stir fry, but it was still a meal and I'm not super picky. I do wish there was a little better selection of snacks - only caramilk or plain pringles, but I should've remembered to buy snacks beforehand in the airport, and I'm sure they're limited on space. Very friendly attendants on the flight to Calgary. We arrived almost 30 minutes early and it was a nice smooth flight. Baggage was already waiting on the carousel.

Air Transat Customer review :  27 September 2013 by R Baker    (Canada)

Toronto - Manchester and return. Outbound in economy, back in Club. Have used Transat previously and am pleased to note general, gradual improvements. Economy is adequate and Club quite good. Staff fine, both flights arrived early. Will use again.

Air Transat Customer review :  25 September 2013 by C Betts    (UK)

Manchester to Calgary and return on TS215/214 Club class. New upgraded cabin. Priority check-in and first to board the plane. Suitcases labeled priority and first off the carousel. The seating is excellent, a decent amount of recline and lumbar support, good legroom, they aren't really meant for sleeping but do offer a good amount of rest. The staff couldn't be faulted, attentive, polite, always ready to assist. The meals were of a very good quality, presented on porcelain plates with metal cutlery, with drinks to follow. The entertainment system had a touch screen with modern films, TV progs, music, radio, etc, and could be paused at anytime. A travelling kit was also provided which included, a blanket, flight socks, earphones, blowup neck support, earplugs, eye mask etc. Overall I thought that the experience was worth what I paid, and would do the same again, I realise that everyone has a budget and it is expensive for the extras, for the extra money paid this could be another weeks holiday to someone.

Air Transat Customer review :  25 September 2013 by F Greiner    (Holland)

I've flown all over the world frequently for more than 20 years. I'm sorry to say that my experience with Air Transat is the worst I've met. The flights took place on 27 August and 16 September 2013, Amsterdam - Vancouver v.v. In my opinion it's a crime to put so many rows in an airplane, with seats so narrow that now, a week later, I still suffer from a sore shoulder and right arm. The back of my seat couldn't be moved in any direction. Alas the one of the passenger in front of me could, so when she did, which she did during 9 hours, my face being 20cm from her seat. My seat itself was tilted slightly forwards, so it felt like gliding off it all of the time. About the food I will not bother you, it was hardly edible. Never again.

Air Transat Customer review :  23 September 2013 by Sue Vollmar    (Canada)

Flew Toronto to Dublin, Sep 1 and returned from Shannon Sep 17. Updated interior nice with great lighting. Seats are comfortable enough even for such a long flight. I love that they offer non stop flights for such a reasonable price. Then attendants were very nice. Smooth check in, both flights right on time. A great experience and I am not a great flyer. Would recommend.