Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by L Fowden    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to Las Vegas on 29/09/13, the best thing I can say is that the flights were on time, and the staff were polite. The passengers were a surly lot. The staff had forgotten to load any headsets so unless you had your own then you could not access the "inflight entertainment". Mind you "inflight entertainment" was a bit of a misnomer as there were only 4 rubbish films and ancient half hour TV comedies. Still, on a 10 hour flight you need a little light distraction but without headsets we couldn't even have this escape. All in all we would avoid Thomas Cook flights if this one was an example; we have flown to Vegas with Virgin Airlines and will stick with them in future.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by S Hunter    (UK)

I have just returned from Cuba on the 28th September. We had plenty of legroom in our pre booked seats. The crew were very attentive. Nothing too much trouble. We will be travelling with you next year. We have travelled with Thomsons and they were not any better despite comments I have read below. After all flying is just a tiny part of your well earned holiday.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by B Hodge    (UK)

Travelled from Glasgow in late September to Funchal. Dismayed by the length of queues for check on but impressed with the speed at which they moved. There is only one queue for all flights. The flight was absolutely full. We were unable to have seats together but at 6 ft 3 I was glad of an extra leg room seat. The added bonus of being trampled on by people waiting for the toilets was not brought to my attention. The meal, which was included, was a breakfast and notwithstanding the difficulty of eating it on a tiny fold out table, it was not too bad. The crew worked very hard and one had the impression that they were embarrassed at having to sell bingo cards. The return left about an hour late due to a bird strike inbound but we were kept up to date by the flight crew throughout, although why we had to board on time and then sit for nearly an hour and a half was not explained. The meal on the return was, in all honesty, the most disgusting thing I have ever been offered. Overheated and shrivelled vegetables, the smallest piece of beef ever and an awful pudding. I probably would use them again, where there is no alternative, but after this would bring my own food and avoid the aisle seat next to the toilets.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by K Legg    (UK)

Flight 718, Manchester to Las Vegas, Wed 18th Sep 2013. Flight attendants were rude, refusing to take rubbish which I had taken to the back of the plane and was sent back to my seat. My friend overheard two flight attendants talking about passengers whilst they served along the plane. Totally unprofessional. Entertainment system dated and basic. As a frequent long haul traveller this is the worst entertainment system I have seen. Small choice of films and programmes and unable to pause, stop and watch at your own convenience. On the return flight the entertainment system was broken and was advised to purchase books and magazines to keep ourselves entertained, at our own cost. Half hearted apology from the Captain who also clearly thought he was a comedian. No apology from miserable cabin crew and no offer of a free drink to soften the disappointment. This was my first time flying with TC and to be honest I was very disappointed with the airline, staff and on-board services. TC is nothing more than long haul budget airline - charging for soft drinks, unprofessional staff, rubbish entertainment system (when its working!), poor quality food which I'm sure James Martin would not feed to his dog's! The plane we travelled on (an old MyTravel plane) at one point I wasn't sure it would get us home from all the creaking it was making! The seats were not too bad but there was no padding in the head rests which did not adjust, the lighting would not turn off causing the lights to shine in our ours for the whole 11 hours journey! I would love to say I would never fly again with TC but unfortunately I am booked to fly to Mexico with them next year. I will be prepared for this flight knowing how rubbish they are and will not expect anything more than poor service and rubbish entertainment. TC advertise themselves as a premium holiday company. There is nothing premium about their planes, staff or on- board services. I have had better service from budget airlines.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  26 September 2013 by James Lowe    (UK)

Travelled to Cancun from Glasgow, Sep 9th 2013 so for the 10 hr flight we booked the Premium Cabin and paid 400 extra for outward and inward flights. We arrived at Glasgow airport and even though we had priority check in we still had to queue for 15 mins then on the aircraft we were seated in 1e and 1f, we were not offered a welcome drink that most other airlines offer to Premium customers, I was astounded when they told me we had to purchase headphones for the movies which I did and when I plugged them in I got nothing but crackling. Then they came round with drinks and informed us we had to purchase them, what a rip off. We had children across from us whose parents were offered the same seats we paid 400 for. This put a stop to any chance of peace in this so called Premium Cabin. The drinks service and food service started from the rear of the plane so Premium Cabin customers were served last. After all the services were done the cabin crew pulled the curtains and proceeded to talk loudly to each other and laugh out loud, so much for peace and quiet in their Premium Cabin. Meals were poor, even though they advertise them as special for Premium Cabin. Same happened on return flight, kids who had been offered the seats at discounted prices kept everyone awake for 10 hours. This service is a total rip off at the advertised prices.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Michael Price    (UK)

We got delayed for 11 hours because our plane had broken down, had to sit in the airport freezing as they had run out of blankets! Horrible unwelcoming staff during the flight! Such an uncomfortable flight, got split up from my fiancee even though we booked together! Will not be using this airline ever again. I would of been a little more calm if the airline crew could of apologised in a better way instead of instructing us that it wasn't there fault for the delay!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Kevin Coote    (UK)

Without doubt the worst airline I have had the misfortune of flying with. I have recently had a fantastic holiday in Mexico, the only downside was the flights. Outbound I managed to pay for the premium seats, no problem with these, comfortable and roomy, but homeward bound only extra legroom seats were available.No problem with the legroom but the seats are ridiculously small and narrow. I can only compare the width to that of a child's car seat. Uncomfortable hard and so narrow that to get comfortable is impossible. It would appear that Thomas Cook have tried to cram in as many seats as possible and ignored the comfort of its passengers. On a long haul flight of 10 hours it can only be right that you would expect a degree of comfort but with Thomas Cook forget it. I and I would expect others would willingly pay a little more especially on long haul flights just to not be crippled by the time the flight is over. Virgin and several other airlines have got it right and I for one will never fly with this cattle herding shower again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by S Thomson    (UK)

Glasgow-Tenerife return trip. Seats very cramped, even for those of an average height. Plane was dirty - chewing gum on pocket, crumbs all over floor on entering plane, have to pay for all snacks even water and they constantly trying to sell something, either food/drink, scratchcards and duty free. entertainment a joke - one movie on shared screens with headsets that also had to be purchased. would not fly with them again unless desperate.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by D Bush    (UK)

Appalling seat comfort, after 20 mins of a 8.5 flight I had back ache, spent most of the trip stood up, this is the worst flight we have ever had. Crew more interested in flogging duty free then looking after passengers. TC you need to be ashamed of yourselves for packing people into sardine cans. Flight was from Manchester to Punta Cana, the return flight was delayed but this seemed to be the norm for TC. Entertainment was old hat and the supplied ear phones of very poor quality - better to take your own. The cost of sitting together is just another con by the airline. Old tatty aircraft with uninterested flight crews.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2013 by Simon Wildin    (UK)

Birmingham to Ibiza. Old, dirty plane. We had pre purchased meals on board but these were only served after snacks and drinks had been sold. Disinterested cabin crew who were just going through the motions, no eye contact or any attempt to interact with customers in fact the senior crew member on return sector spent her time during taxi sat on the jump seat with her back to the passengers to avoid any contact - so much for safety and observing the cabin. During boarding they spent most of the time gossiping in the galley and it was well over 30 mins before they started any service after takes off due to chit chat between themselves , then there was a rush at the end to finish tax free sales. Good parts were the flight being on time and quick delivery of bags.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 September 2013 by M Chester    (UK)

TCX2142 / TCX2143, MAN to FUE and return on 4 and 11 September 2013. As part of the booking I paid for the ability to book our seats. Once I had the booking reference I went onto flythomascook website to book the seats. However it would not let me do it without charging me extra. I therefore had to ring the customer services line to sort it out. The boarding arrangements at Manchester Airport were chaotic to say the least. The boarding gate was next to the Emirates A380 and both flights were boarding at the same time with the inevitable crush. When it came to time to board the announcement for boarding by row number was not heard by 95% of the passengers resulting in everyone going to the gate. In fact the announcement was for the back few rows but no-one could hear it. A number of people were therefore refused boarding because it was not their row, but others outside the announced rows were allowed on. None of the announcements could be heard by those waiting for the flight. I have never been on a more cramped flight (both outbound and inbound). Leg room was impossible. Food on both flights was disgraceful, easily the worst in-flight food I have ever tasted. I am not sure how James Martin would react to having his name used for such poor food. As a diabetic I order diabetic meals for myself for both flights. On the return flight my meal tray was 75% white rice, a little bit of beef and three small green beans. The diabetic meal was totally unsuitable. My wife's meal on the return was totally inedible (and she usually likes airline food).

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 September 2013 by B Trinity    (Australia)

I flew from Crete to Gatwick, arrive at the airport to be told there is a 4 hour delay. I ask why we weren't alerted with a text or email as they ask for this information and they told me that airlines "don't do that", I mentioned that EasyJet do and they said they don't have the capability but if we were booked on a tour a tour guide could have come and told us. The people on the ground in Crete were so condescending to the point of actually saying "I'm not trying to be condescending but" and when we got on the plane there was no apology or explanation for the five hour delay. They then shamed an old man for asking for an aisle seat as his knee was really sore even after he explained it was due to sitting in the airport for an extra five hours, in her loudest voice the flight attendant declared that the plane would be further delayed as they would have to offload his luggage as he refused to take his seat. The plane was freezing and we ended up getting in at six in the morning so we completely wasted $300 on the hotel we'd booked for the night and never used.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  13 September 2013 by S Murphy    (UK)

We travelled Glasgow to Zakynthos on 25th August. Flight out on time however two passengers in particular who were quite obviously drunk at boarding were asked by staff to step aside. Relieved thinking that they would not be allowed to board but to our amazement they were allowed on and on top of that, the cabin crew still served them alcohol on board. A very tense flight knowing that they could cause a problem at any time. Had a fantastic holiday but on our arrival at Zakynthos airport, it was a complete and utter farce. We had under 20kgs each going out from Glasgow and no problems. On our return our cases were actually weighing less than when we went out yet they were saying that we were 3kgs over and were telling lots of people that they were over. The farcical bit was when we emptied from our main luggage into hand luggage which quite obviously was then over 5kgs each - they allowed the cases! To top all that, you then had to take your cases back to stand in another queue to put them through a scanner. Completely and utterly a pointless exercise other than to extort money. Be very careful on your return journey as they want 18 Euros for every kilo over. We made the decision to empty items from the cases into our hand luggage but some people were being stung not realising that you could simply take stuff out and put in back in once you had left check in. Utter madness! Flight back left early which was good but not particularly impressed with Thomas Cook staff either. They were pleasant enough but were not particularly professional. We didn't particularly want to listen to their ailments, what curtains they were buying for their house and what they were getting up to on nights out. First time I have flown with Thomas Cook and I would be loath to travel with them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by M Ford    (UK)

Flew Manchester - Hurghada - Manchester early September. Outbound flight was delayed half an hour so not much of a problem. Having travelled with TC several times previously and never having experienced problems I try not to concern myself too much with the reviews of others. Both flights had decent entertainment on board, cabin crew were friendly, pilots kept us updated with the flights' progress, food was good and enough leg space. Will continue to fly with TC.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by I Fraser    (UK)

8/8/13, LGW to Lanzarote. I am 6'3" and it is all but physically impossible for me to sit in the seats. Think it was a 757. I have never been so horribly uncomfortable on a flight, and surely it is bordering on dangerous for Thomas Cook to sell these seats without some form of warning that tall people can't fit in them. Had such a warning been available, I would have paid for the extra room (as I had to do on the return flight), but this was not pointed out at any point, and as I don't fly package very often, I did not expect it to be this bad. It is unsafe for me and those around me, and also makes it difficult for the air crew to move up and down with their trolleys, selling overpriced drinks and other tat. I don't expect lavish comfort on a package flight, but I don't expect unsafe and ridiculously cramped conditions either. They seriously need to warn people about this before something bad happens. At least print it in the brochures, or flag it up at time of booking so that you are at least offered an option. Also the airline staff could do with some training in customer service.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Angela Oakley    (UK)

Thomas Cook do not care about customers. Outbound flight was the worst. The cabin crew were only interested in selling duty free goods. Choice of food was very limited and what I did buy was smashed to bits. No leg room at all and seats so close together there was no room to move at all. The safety announcements were announced in a very unprofessional way as if they were bored stiff of saying the same thing to their customers and spoken so fast! On arriving at holiday airport it was announced that we had landed at East Midlands Airport! On return journey we had to queue for 2 hours to check in giving us no time to look around duty free. There was no apology. People were tired and irritable especially those with young children. Wont use Thomas Cook ever again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  9 September 2013 by M Downer    (UK)

Possibly the worst airline I have flown. when we first arrived on the flight from Gatwick to Dalaman the seat my wife was sitting in was broken and the legroom was non existent. The seats were so small that sitting for more than 30 minutes was just not possible and I stood up most of the time. I am only just over 6ft so not exceptionally tall. We managed to leave 2 hours later with not a word from anyone about what was happening. I am appalled with TC.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 September 2013 by S Christman    (UK)

We flew Gatwick to Cancun on 12th August for 2 weeks and found both flights perfectly acceptable. Took off spot on time both flights and landed early. Cabin crew very professional. Food really good, plenty of legroom although a pain that the arm rests don't move. Only couple of gripes - could do with more drinks or invitations to go and get some as its a long flight for the trolley to only come round twice and could have done with some water, I asked for a blanket for my daughter on the outbound flight but they never came back to me, asked on the return flight and did get one. Booked row 10 on way back but no window, it a massive issue but worth noting for future. Flew BA last year and had reason to complain about several things to them so this compared very favourably.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2013 by D Cook    (UK)

Outward flight 24/8/13, Inward flight 31/8/13 Birmingham-Rhodes on 757 aircraft. Legroom on both flights was appalling and the distance between seats so tight that you could not even put the trays down, both flights were full with no spare seats at all. Passengers consisted mainly of families, many with babies/young children travelling on laps and am surprised that this is allowed with the lack of space between seats on these aircraft. After take off some thoughtless people were then reclining their seats trying to get another inch or two of space, causing even more cramped conditions for those behind them and friction between passengers erupted on more than one occasion. No entertainment at all on the 4 hour flight and crew only interested in selling duty free and other on board saleable goods. This airline in my opinion have absolutely no interest in the comfort of passengers and would definitely not travel with them again which is a shame because all other aspects of my holiday were excellent.