Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by A Humphries    (UK)

Flew TCX 148 on an A330 Manchester to Cancun on 21/1/14. Paid the 'Premium upgrade' not knowing that Thomas Cook had transformed themselves into an absolutely 'no frills' carrier! Everything was extra from headphones to tea, coffee, soft drinks, water and of course alcohol! The meal was overheated and dry with a small tea or coffee included although no offer of a second cup. If I were James Martin I wouldn't want my name printed all over the food cartons! Cabin staff were unwelcoming and quite surly once we informed them of out dissatisfaction and disappointment when we compared the 'upgrade' to that offered by Thomson on the same route previously. One replied 'well you're not flying with Thomsom now'. Shall not fly with Thomas Cook again and would not recommend to anyone else on the basis of my experience. It's the first time I've ever been hungry and thirsty on a long haul flight. Not looking forward to the return flight.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by Edward Pugh    (UK)

Travelled premium class to Goa in Jan 2014, what a waste of money. The extra money pays for priority booking and extra weight and leg room. The service is poor, having travelled this way with other operators I was looking for that bit extra, forget it, save your money. We paid over £300 for this, about 70 bottles of their overpriced bottles of wine.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by D Brettschneider    (Austria)

Gatwick-Cancun-Gatwick. TCX186 and TCX187, 18 December 2013 - 1 January 2014. We had expected the flight from hell after reading some of the reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. Food was far better expected and the flight attendant on the flight back from Cancun to Gatwick was lovely. It's definitely worth paying for extra legroom.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by R Simonds    (UK)

Our return trip with Thomas Cook airlines was one of the worst that I have come across. The crew were offhand and the cabin administrator on charge of the others was positively rude. The meal numbers had not been checked at Cancun so they did not realise that the correct number had been heated. By the time they reached our row they had run out and we were told that it would take another 45 minutes. On suggesting that we may be given a complementary drink (either soft or otherwise )the cabin chief steward told us that this was not going to happen in no uncertain terms and blamed the Cancun caterers for placing the food wrongly. He then said that it would be 20 minutes. We received half heated chicken!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by John R Montgomery    (UK)

My experience of Thomas Cook Airlines is a much more positive one than the majority posted here. Travelling for the second successive year from CWL to PFO in high season their performance was flawless. On time both ways, efficient and personable cabin crew who worked as team and OK seat comfort. I can be difficult to please but there was really nothing to fault - although the ticket cost could have been better. My son wanted a model plane which was in the inflight brochure and they cheerfully found it for him. I recognised some of the cabin crew as being the same from the previous year and I would suggest that having a tight knit team operating out of CWL helps to avoid some of the flaws that have been identified elsewhere.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by F Michael    (UK)

Flew Manchester-Cancun-Manchester on 30/11/13 - 11/12/13. We had pre booked seats well in advance and while this has always been honoured by TC in the past and was on this occasion, I keep reading reviews of peoples seats not being reserved. I shouldn't have worried. Food was good. One or two passengers complain but seriously what do you expect, a gourmet meal? It's not bad in the great scheme of things. The seat pitch is good and better than Virgin Long Haul and while the entertainment isn't on demand, there is a wide range of choice. Cabin crew were ok going out, much more attentive coming back. Will continue to fly with TC whilst we keep enjoying good experiences with them.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by G Gaztab    (UK)

MAN-CUN-MAN, 28th Nov/12th Dec. New to TCA A330 which has a had a complete interior re-fit, only 31" legroom but felt like more and was ample, seats comfortable with a good recline, new good/clear quality touchscreen IFE also with USB socket so you could charge any gadgets you have, 8 movies, various TV shows and music channels, food good but not very big portions, overall a good experience for a charter long-haul flight, would have no problem using them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  14 December 2013 by J Ross    (UK)

Dreadful, never again will fly with Thomas Cook. Flew Gran Canaria to Glasgow on a very old 757. Dreadfully slow loading procedure (took off 30 minutes late and no announcements in the airport on the delay), didn't board by row numbers so chaos in getting up the aisle, cramped legroom, poor attempt at inflight movie (understandably poor quality on a plane of this considerable age). Cabin crew did make up for the experience slightly in flight but generally a horrible experience.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  13 December 2013 by J Clarke    (UK)

Traveled Manchester to Barbados on the first flight out there on 10th November. We were even greeted by a steel band and water cannon salute. It was a comfy seat, I think it was a new airplane and great service. The James Martin meal was lovely, better than last time on another airline. Seat configuration was 2x3x2 so excellent when travelling in pairs. I would go on them again long haul.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 December 2013 by C Garraway    (UK)

Just returned from Banjul Gambia on TCX 1032/33. Not a good start when we all on board on time the Captain announced that "sorry we need another 10 minutes to upload more fuel". This made us actually 1 hour late - thought they would have known well before the flight how much fuel was required - doesn't inspire much confidence does it? Cabin crew were excellent and so was the food but how any self respecting airline can expect their customers to sit in a 28" pitch seat for a 6 hours flight is beyond me: this is really appalling. This airline is rapidly loosing the plot - they want to present the cheapest prices simply forgetting that not everyone want this - most want Value For Money which is definitely what you do not get with them.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by C Booth    (UK)

Don't ever fly with Thomas Cook to Goa. I travelled with a group of 8 people and booked their so called premium class seats. What a huge disappointment that was. As far as I am concerned, Thomas Cook and Thomas Cook Airlines are not interested in their customers comfort and I would never use them on a long haul flight again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by W Moss    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to Mexico on 16th November 2013 and returned 1st Dec 13. We had pre booked seats on the way out, row 8, no premium cabin but the seats were good. Decent legroom, comfortable seats and good inflight entertainment. Touchscreen TV where you can pause, start and stop movies when you liked. Cabin crew staff on the other hand, different story. Not interested in anyone, no order to what they were doing. Each time I went to the toilet cabin crew staff was stood by the toilets being rude about passengers and made no effort to stop or hide conversations when I came to use the toilet. This I find very unprofessional and uncomfortable. Check in lady at Manchester had no customer service skills, never once made eye contact. Return journey. Plane was changed that morning for some reason so the layout of the plane was totally different to what it was when people paid to pre book seats! This meant that pre booked seats went out of the window. The plane was old and very small. Arm rests didn't come up so you had very little space to move! The TV screens tiny and fuzzy. Entertainment on a loop and the sound was crackling! The plane was dirty and very uncomfortable. A lot of people very unhappy due to all the moving around etc including myself. I paid to pre book my seats for a reason. The rep at the airport said TC are allowed to make changes at anytime and if this causes problems with your seating arrangements then complain when you get home! Staff on this flight, better than going out but I still feel they need lessons in customer service skills. I found the food generally ok for plane food. Breakfast on the way home was a bit naff though, a muffin and a yoghurt, I was very surprised you had to pay for soft drinks, I get paying for alcohol but soft drinks I would have thought would have been included. Overall a very disappointing experience from booking to coming home.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by Patricia Lyne    (UK)

I travelled on a Saga Package to Turkey in Early October so didn't have a choice of airline. However, everything about Thomas Cook was very good indeed with the exception of the leg room which was very cramped indeed. I am a vegetarian and the James Martin food provided was superb!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by J Haycock    (UK)

Just got back from a TC holiday from Cuba. We flew from Manchester to Cayo Coco, there were no premium option available on the flight as it is the new A330. However as someone with dietary restrictions, I was appalled. I ordered a Gluten free meal, but clearly their catering department cannot be bothered other than providing a gluten free roll. The side dishes are usually given in a separate box. My OH has desert, cheese biscuits etc. In mine, one gluten free roll, that's it. Nothing to replace the pudding. Tea time came and once again the food was served. The cabin staff could not be bothered firstly looking up who had ordered special meals, so was firstly given a pack of sandwiches, and a box again with something sweet. On correcting them they delivered mine. No alternative for the sandwiches instead a box with a gluten free roll and a banana. Nothing else. The return journey wasn't much better.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2013 by Rebecca Lewis    (UK)

We travelled as a family of four to and from Mexico. Considering I have flown dozens of times all over the world this has to be the worst experience yet. Firstly, the cabin crew were unfriendly and found it appropriate to discuss their personal lives whilst handing out the food. They also found it acceptable to comment on the behaviour of someone else's child. Secondly, we were given one pillow (of such cheap quality they were of no use) between three people and one blanket. When my 11 year old asked for another pillow the staff told her to look round for another one! Thirdly, the crew took their breaks near to the toilets and felt it appropriate to read magazine and block everyone out, even those who had queries. Fourthly, the drinks are over priced and when you ring the bell to ask for another they just ignore. when we arrived to our destination we were so dehydrated as they also only come round a couple of times on a long haul. This really is an appalling airline. I accept it is a budget airline but really this takes the biscuit. Thomas Cook, you need to up your game. We will never will fly them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2013 by G Townshend    (UK)

Just flown Thomas Cook Gatwick to Orlando - never again! Flight out was OK, but coming back none of the aircraft seats reclined. Try spending 8 hours in a bolt upright position with very little leg room and a headrest that actually bends your head forwards. Needless to say nobody could relax, let alone get any sleep on a night flight. On top of that one of our cabin crew was extremely rude and unprofessional, they ran out of meal choices almost straight away, the in-flight entertainment did not work properly and there were only a handful of pillows/blankets to go around. Worst flight ever, which my back and neck is still suffering from a week later.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by S Patton    (Ireland)

Long haul Gatwick to Cancun. Didnt bother to check airline reviews as I wrongly expected it to be long but half way comfortable, it was almost unbearable. Seats became painful after about an hour, I spent most of the flight standing. I presume the seats were old and had no padding left. With a layout of 3-3-3 there was no room, when seated I had to be bolt upright as my elbows would have no room. The staff were obviously stressed out with that working conditions, you could barely move the trolley down the aisle. There were no free drinks or snacks but most of the time there was a trolley in the way selling scratchcards or duty free. Just a painfully uncomfortable flight. Also when we got there we were told that we were responsible for the airline departure tax, on return was several stressed out staff taking cash only payments. I said i would pay but only if I got a receipt, this was refused? Very strange behaviour not taking card payments or giving a receipt. Flight back was same as flight over but an hour shorter. Will do my homework and research to avoid another long haul from hell with TCA.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Ankers Graham    (UK)

Travelled to and from Turkey at the end of October - holiday from heaven but flights from hell. Paid extra for the extra leg room seats but I wonder why as these were of an inferior quality and actually seemed narrower than the normal seats. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect plush seats but I did expect a little more than we got and certainly expected that I would be able to put the table across my knee to eat my meal. The extra legroom seats were also made pointless as the cabin staff were constantly blocking the aisle so they could sell their wares, thus causing passengers wanting to get to the toilets to congregate in the space that was sold as the extra leg room. Inflight film looked like it may have been worth a watch, apart from the fact the screen was so far away you would need binoculars to watch it, and to hear it would be impossible in the extra leg room seats as to plug in the over priced headphones would mean sawing your leg off. Food was hot but pretty much inedible (to me at least). Luckily the food was included in the package as it is definitely not worth bothering with. No choice in what you are served up - just get what they have left. Yes I will fly again with them but only because the hotel I like in Turkey can only be booked through them. Yes it is a budget airline but they don't half fleece you when they take £30 each way off you for the extra leg room seats that are not fit for purpose.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  7 November 2013 by D Barnard    (UK)

Flew to Cuba with Thomas Cook on 21/10/2013, A330, economy. I have to say after reading some of the reviews I had a few worries, but I was presently surprised. I'm 6'4 and a bit of a wide load, although the seats were a bit on the narrow side the leg room was very ample, fortunately I have a skinny wife so I had a bit of over spill space, I did keep leaning on the controls of her TV which she did find a bit of an annoyance. I don't go on flights for the food, but it was quite good, in fact much better than the last time I flew with BA and Thomson. Ok so you get nothing included for free but this is long haul Budget flying, and worked out allot cheaper than other suppliers (£500 or so for the 2 of us). The cabin crew on outward and inward flights were brilliant. Very polite even when some of our fellow passengers seem to go out of their way to be awkward and rude. Please remember this is a budget airline! Looking forward to returning next year.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by John Fernyhough    (UK)

Manchester to Menorca, Flight TCX2442, 17 August 2013, Return Flight TXC2443. The outbound flight, the scheduled aircraft was withdrawn and replaced by a standby plane. The standby aircraft had two less seats. As a result there was no seat for me and I was allocated the jump seat at the back of the plane. Thomas Cook offered a £70 voucher as compensation which I have rejected. The return flight to Manchester was delayed by nearly 6 hrs.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by Antoinette Johnson    (UK)

I travelled to Cuba which is a 7 hour flight, I was shocked to know that you have to pay for soft drinks. I can understand if they were charging for alcoholic drinks but water and soft drink is disgraceful. We were given 15kg for a two week holiday but others were given 20kg we had to pay an extra £20 each way £40 for what others got free, same holiday destination. Thomas Cooks priority was making money it is not customer service or customer satisfaction. We will not be cooking with Thomas Cook again. Most disappointing.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by P Kieran    (UK)

Glasgow to Gran Canaria (Las Palmas), then Tenerife South to Glasgow. Both flights were on time, with friendly cabin crew. Plane in both directions was a pretty old Boeing 757-200 which had seen better days, although to be fair the outbound flight had been fitted with new seating. Flights on time in both directions, food served was fairly average and pretty much what I expect these days. Main gripe is that 5kg hand-luggage allowance is pretty mean, even Ryanair allow more!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by D Wood    (UK)

I have just returned from holiday from Tunisia, we flew from Birmingham TCX4028/9, 16th until 23rd Oct 2013. I agree the legroom is not the best but you get what you pay for, I'm well aware when I travel on a charter flight that your not going to get legroom so I cant understand why people complain about their seats. If you want comfort pay to go business class with British Airways. The seats in general were very good and the crew had told us that the aircraft had just had new seats fitted. Products are expensive to purchase on the flight but again its a charter flight not a scheduled airline so you have to expect to pay, the airline is a business at the end of the day and has to make money! The meal was very nice made by James Martin and we had a choice of meal on way home something that my airline back in the day did not offer. Staff onboard were excellent on the outward flight, spoke to every row of passengers and were very funny. Inward flight crew were very good again. I shall be flying with them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by Barbara Fletcher    (UK)

While the flight there and back was very good and the food was lovely, we felt totally ripped off because my husband paid £200 to upgrade us to premium, the only good thing about it was by passing everybody to get through security. I know other airlines give you free drinks, newspapers , headsets and amenity kits, wine with dinner and choice of food. No such luck with Thomas Cook, you get a little bit extra legroom and priority boarding. I enjoyed the return journey more because the cabin crew were much more friendly. Next year we are going with Monarch. We flew from Manchester to Sanford on 4th of October and returned on the 18th.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by James Howard    (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to Cuba Varadero. All flights on time ,food, leg room all really good. Entertainment system showing age compared to Virgin but all worked ok. Legroom and service the same as Virgin. Would fly with them again.