Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by I Fraser    (UK)

8/8/13, LGW to Lanzarote. I am 6'3" and it is all but physically impossible for me to sit in the seats. Think it was a 757. I have never been so horribly uncomfortable on a flight, and surely it is bordering on dangerous for Thomas Cook to sell these seats without some form of warning that tall people can't fit in them. Had such a warning been available, I would have paid for the extra room (as I had to do on the return flight), but this was not pointed out at any point, and as I don't fly package very often, I did not expect it to be this bad. It is unsafe for me and those around me, and also makes it difficult for the air crew to move up and down with their trolleys, selling overpriced drinks and other tat. I don't expect lavish comfort on a package flight, but I don't expect unsafe and ridiculously cramped conditions either. They seriously need to warn people about this before something bad happens. At least print it in the brochures, or flag it up at time of booking so that you are at least offered an option. Also the airline staff could do with some training in customer service.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Angela Oakley    (UK)

Thomas Cook do not care about customers. Outbound flight was the worst. The cabin crew were only interested in selling duty free goods. Choice of food was very limited and what I did buy was smashed to bits. No leg room at all and seats so close together there was no room to move at all. The safety announcements were announced in a very unprofessional way as if they were bored stiff of saying the same thing to their customers and spoken so fast! On arriving at holiday airport it was announced that we had landed at East Midlands Airport! On return journey we had to queue for 2 hours to check in giving us no time to look around duty free. There was no apology. People were tired and irritable especially those with young children. Wont use Thomas Cook ever again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  9 September 2013 by M Downer    (UK)

Possibly the worst airline I have flown. when we first arrived on the flight from Gatwick to Dalaman the seat my wife was sitting in was broken and the legroom was non existent. The seats were so small that sitting for more than 30 minutes was just not possible and I stood up most of the time. I am only just over 6ft so not exceptionally tall. We managed to leave 2 hours later with not a word from anyone about what was happening. I am appalled with TC.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 September 2013 by S Christman    (UK)

We flew Gatwick to Cancun on 12th August for 2 weeks and found both flights perfectly acceptable. Took off spot on time both flights and landed early. Cabin crew very professional. Food really good, plenty of legroom although a pain that the arm rests don't move. Only couple of gripes - could do with more drinks or invitations to go and get some as its a long flight for the trolley to only come round twice and could have done with some water, I asked for a blanket for my daughter on the outbound flight but they never came back to me, asked on the return flight and did get one. Booked row 10 on way back but no window, it a massive issue but worth noting for future. Flew BA last year and had reason to complain about several things to them so this compared very favourably.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2013 by D Cook    (UK)

Outward flight 24/8/13, Inward flight 31/8/13 Birmingham-Rhodes on 757 aircraft. Legroom on both flights was appalling and the distance between seats so tight that you could not even put the trays down, both flights were full with no spare seats at all. Passengers consisted mainly of families, many with babies/young children travelling on laps and am surprised that this is allowed with the lack of space between seats on these aircraft. After take off some thoughtless people were then reclining their seats trying to get another inch or two of space, causing even more cramped conditions for those behind them and friction between passengers erupted on more than one occasion. No entertainment at all on the 4 hour flight and crew only interested in selling duty free and other on board saleable goods. This airline in my opinion have absolutely no interest in the comfort of passengers and would definitely not travel with them again which is a shame because all other aspects of my holiday were excellent.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 August 2013 by C Robson    (UK)

In my opinion the worst airline I have ever had the misfortune to fly with. Suffered a 24 hour delay on a flight to Las Vegas with them. Ground staff told us that our aircraft was stuck in Florida but that that flight had been due to depart the US at least 12 hours before our flight was due to check in so Thomas Cook were fully aware there was a delay and yet they were claiming it was unexpected! We were made to hang around the airport for 7 hours before any update was given and the ground staff refused to help. When we eventually got on the flight all we heard from the cabin crew was how they had lost a day of their long stay on their 'big stay' in Vegas. They couldn't care less about customers and I would never use them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2013 by R Williams    (UK)

LGW-AYT return. I was really not looking forward to these flights based on previous people's reviews but actually it was perfectly acceptable and not as bad as I feared. Plane was old and not great for legroom but cabin crew were friendly and efficient. Outward was an hour late for which they apologised and didn't try to blame anyone else for it which was refreshing. Inbound flight was on time and actually landed early. Inflight entertainment was overhead screens with a couple of films an you could rent headphones or buy adapters. I always hate the scratch card sales etc. but presumably others like this as they were selling. Overall I wouldn't choose them over a flag carrier but wouldn't go out of my way or extend a journey time to avoid them.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2013 by W Jones    (UK)

Flew to Dalaman on 3/8/13, 8 hour delay at Gatwick, there was a party of 7, we were supplied with 10 vouchers to cover lunch! We had 2 meals and drinks during this period, which came to far more than 10. Technical problem was the reason for the delay, spoke to others who said they had suffered in this manner before, it was our first time with Thomas Cook. On the aircraft the seats were ridiculously tight and we are only 5 ft 9 and 5 ft 2, I would hate to be tall in these seats. The interior was old shabby, uncomfortable, and as previously stated in these reviews, I must concur, the cabin crew were unprofessional and quite frankly useless. On our return 2 weeks later, we were once again delayed for a further 3 hours for technical problems. We were all very disappointed with this airline, for a flight that cost 383 (budget, I think not). On our landing at Gatwick, it took 35 minutes to disembark, a 10 minute bus ride to the terminal, and a further 30 minutes to reclaim our baggage.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2013 by F Ansell    (UK)

Having read a lot of reviews, and being a 5'8, size 24 woman, I was incredibly worried about my flights with Thomas Cook to say the least. I was worried about leg room, the table not fitting my frame, or and this was worrying me most - the seat belt not doing up. I need not have worried. We flew Gatwick - Menorca and back in an Airbus A330-200, with seat configuration 3x3x3. Not only did the seat belt fasten easily, but I had at least 8 inches to spare on it. Seats were comfortable, despite the armrests not being moveable on the flight home. Leg room was fantastic and I could stretch my legs out fully. Food on board was usual aircraft fare, but pleasant enough. Our outward flight was at 6 in the morning so breakfast was served. On our return flight we were served chicken breast, roast potatoes, sausage, stuffing ball and vegetables, bread roll, and cheese and crackers, with a moist and tasty syrup sponge for dessert. Flight attendants were helpful, polite and efficient. Flights landed on time, and the aircraft were clean and tidy. No inflight entertainment, but then again, no airline provides this for a 2 hour flight. I have nothing but positive comments for this airline.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2013 by M Clay    (UK)

Flew to Orlando, paid for extra leg room - what a joke. Had the emergency life raft in front of me so had even less room, row 9, seat j. You have to pay for ear phones to watch the inflight entertainment. Cabin crew only interested in selling duty free. Only good thing about the flights was the return flight - landed 50 mins early!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2013 by W Cooper    (UK)

Flew to Reus from Newcastle, limited legroom. I've recently had a knee replacement and I found this uncomfortable. I ignored all the inflight selling and wasn't pestered. Home was better with more room. We understand any airline running this type of operation has to maximise selling opportunities. On landing we were parked quite a way from the terminal at Newcastle!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2013 by J Kelly    (UK)

Travelled back from Dominican Republic, 6 August and have to say I have never come across Cabin Crew that were so unprofessional. They were bickering amongst themselves in earshot of myself and other passengers. One particular Cabin Crew was downright rude to a fellow passenger who wanted to use the rear toilet instead of the lower toilets as she had difficulty walking and could not negotiate the stairs down to the lower deck toilets. The message from the senior cabin crew before take off was unlike any I have heard before and was aggressive and abrupt. We were asked to pack the waste materials into the box containing our food as neatly as possible over the PA system - when they were collected the Stewardess emptied them into a bin bag. The whole of the crew demeanour was unwelcoming and any request was met with a sneer or raised eyebrows. One particular member of the crew was negotiating the Duty Free trolley down the aisle and I heard her say "if something is out of stock on the way out it's likely that it'll be out of stock on the way back". Our flights were 2 weeks apart so why should the passenger know the plane had not been restocked? It seems there was some kind of conflict between various members of the crew which came across as very poor service to the passengers. The Cabin Crew just seemed uninterested - I and my family and friends will never ever travel this Airline again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Andrew Sanders    (UK)

Flight to Tunisia on time and no problems boarding. Remember this is a cheap (ish) airline so won't have infinite legroom between seats however if you understand this before you bored the plane then you will have no problems. Cabin crew try to sell but simply decline and they will leave you be. Pilots keep you updated and even joke at times. The 757 interior is a little worn but the fleet is being replaced so this doesn't matter as much anymore. Overall if you understand this is just a cheapish airline with mediocre seat space then you will get on fine!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2013 by A Meikle    (UK)

Check-in was very good. The woman who dealt with us was very personable. However the mood changed when I walked on to the plane and saw how closely positioned the seats were. I had read previous complaints about the legroom from passengers that were 5' 2" (I'm 6' 2") so I wasn't expecting to be able to stretch out, but I was still taken aback by just how close the seats were. Flight was significantly uncomfortable because of this and many people stood up during the flight. Plane was a 757. Cabin crew were very pleasant, however they did attempt to sell various silly things throughout the flight. Flight duration was 4.5 hours and any longer would've become quite unbearable. Flight back was delayed 1 hr 45 mins, but being a night flight it was very quiet and seemed more comfortable. Plenty of empty seats on the return and the crew allowed passengers to move where they wished once the flight was at a certain height. The film only had sound up to row 20 and the aroma from the food made you wonder what it actually was. The expensive drinks, bad food, hard sell and a film without sound I can easily live with but the leg room is a major issue and cannot be ignored when reviewing this airline. It made the journey quite uncomfortable and because of this issue I would recommend others to find an alternative if possible.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Mark Docherty    (UK)

Travelled in a party of 9 from Manchester to Malta in July, flying on a B767. Departed on time with regular updates from the flight deck. My only complaint on the outbound flight was the breakfast wasn't very nice. We travelled back on the same aircraft, again, we boarded on time at Malta, there was no air conditioning unit attached to the aircraft so once onboard we noticed the heat straight away. This wasn't an immediate issue though as the Captain advised us we would soon be departing. Baggage handlers caused an initial delay of around 40 minutes. Aircraft was becoming hotter by the minute to the point of being unbearable, drinks were distributed by the Cabin Crew which was welcomed. Captain decided until the problem could be fixed we'd disembark the aircraft to the comfort of the airport departure lounge which was obviously air conditioned. After 2 hours the fault was fixed and we were welcomed back on board by the crew. Took off and apart from some thunder storms over Manchester and some heavy turbulence the flight was uneventful. Flight deck provided regular updates and cabin crew were attentive. I've flown many times with TCX over the years and as long as you don't go expecting Emirates style service etc on a short/medium haul flight then I don't know how you can be disappointed with them. Final note - inbound meal much better, IFE working on both sectors and a camera pitched underneath the aircraft so you could watch the flight if you wished.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 August 2013 by M Eden    (UK)

Our Vegas to Manchester flight was delayed by over 24 hours. TC reps nowhere to be seen or heard to offer any explanation in direct contrast to our first day in Vegas when they were all over us like a rash trying to sell us their various over-priced packages to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon etc. We were put up in a decent hotel but there was a five hour wait for coaches to take us to it so nearly all of the passengers took taxis instead. We shall never use them again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 August 2013 by C Shaw    (UK)

Flew Manchester to Sanford, 19th July 2013 and returned 2nd August. Both flights were excellent departing on time, good cabin crew and selection of films.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2013 by R Mark    (UK)

Flown with Thomas Cook twice this year, to Cancun in Mexico and to Hurgurda in Egypt. Both experiences were poor and whilst the service on this airline is tolerable for short distances its not on long haul. The Mexico flight was cold and the headset socket did not work. On the Hurgurda flight It was again cold, the food was poor (mine was beef without the gravy), the crew constantly chatted to each other. It took forever for them to serve people and ignored the call lights. The only reason to choose them is they fly from Manchester and the cost. Lastly, I doubt a top airlines welcome to the flight is that if you get drunk they will refuse to serve you and take action. Both right but it sets a poor tone right from the start to mention it, I doubt Etihad do that?

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  31 July 2013 by S Sharnok    (UK)

Just returned from a holiday in Majorca flight to Palma Airport was delayed. The cabin crew showed no interest in passengers just stood chatting. I have never experienced such disinterest on flight ever. The holiday in Puerta de Soller was wonderful however the flight spoilt the holiday. I will not be flying Thomas Cook again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2013 by B Clifford    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Dalaman and wish I had booked with another operator. Seat space / leg room should be investigated as to whether it meets legal requirements. Incredibly uncomfortable journey with TC maximising their profit absolutely anyway they could. Return journey was considerably worse because of a systems failure at Dalaman. For good measure some TC rep asked if we were flying to Manchester. Cannot figure out why because we were in the Gatwick queue and curiously there were no flights to Manchester at that time! Upon arrival at Gatwick, we had to wait 45 minutes on the plane because stairs were not available to offload us! Apparently this was down to the rain we had earlier in the day. The final nonsense was when we had to wait another 45 minutes for our luggage to emerge. So from landing to luggage collection took 1.5 hours and bear in mind the flight was late because of the problems at Turkey. Seems Servisair who administer ground services at Gatwick, were culpable in all this and have not done TC any favours. Together they have persuaded me to use another carrier in future. As for Gatwick thinking it can handle a second runway it is sadly mistaken when patently cannot even handle one!