Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by G Rogers    (UK)

The most cramped lack of space I've ever had on any aircraft! My knees were pressing into the seat in front, no doubt to the discomfort of the person in that seat, and to me also as the person behind also obviously had his knees wedged into the back of my seat. What a cattle truck! - and for 6 hours. Apart from comfort there must also be safety implications, with people having difficulty getting out of their seat/row. Awful. Always had much more legroom on other operators aircraft.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by B Austin    (UK)

Worst long haul flight I have had. If they spent more time and effort trying to make customers feel relaxed and valued rather than trying to squeeze every last penny out of people then it might be a good airline. I did have enough leg room but seats were very narrow. There were no air vents blowing out cold air so flight was very hot and uncomfortable. A lot of the entertainment screens did not work and the ones that did the volume was broken. Every other long haul flight that I have been on has given passengers free snacks and soft drinks at the very least but not Thomas cook they don't give you as much as a bottle of water unless you pay very unrealistic prices for them. When checking in, all Thomas cook flight leaving that day checked in at the same desk which was just chaos and led to a very long wait. Unless you decided to take up the offer of the young girl offering passengers a quicker check in for another extra fee. All in all a very poor flight and very poor level of service by Thomas cook. The only good thing I can say about the airline is that it got me to where I was going.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Andrea Shaw    (UK)

Dreadful flight to Cyprus from Manchester in March 2014. Asked for a window seat but was given 28a which is not a window seat because it's near the exit. In fact you could hardly call it a seat for a small person which I am. Very claustrophobic. Asked to move and staff very unhelpful. Basically if I had wanted a better seat I should have pre booked or upgraded. My shoulder was stiff the whole holiday as I had to lean in. Never will I fly with Thomas Cook again!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by P Gillespie    (UK)

Manchester- Holguin (Cuba)- Manchester. March 19-28, 2014. Airbus A330 outward replaced by absolutely ancient Boeing as former was 'poorly' announced the captain. 3 timed films on drop-down screens. No seat recline available on 10 hour flight ! Constant selling from staff. A330 now recovered for return 8.5 hr night flight. Pillows and blankets only available for limited number of passengers. No priority, just lucky dip. 'Company Policy'. I only found seat recline lever within 1 hour of Manchester. Nobody else did. All passengers upright all night. Obviously in staff interest not to say because they have targets to meet re. headphones, drinks (twice), duty-free, questionnaires etc. Lights were down 2 hrs max. Really surprised how desperate the announcements were to push tobacco products. Lastly why does Thos Cook Airline teach its staff to use the p.a. as though a nursery teacher to 4 yr olds? Too patronising, lacking respect. We are actually fare-paying adults.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by J Gunstone    (UK)

Hurghada, November 2013 and January 2014 from Manchester. Found check-in staff in November really unhelpful. We were told to weigh our hand baggage first and found to be 1Kg over. We explained it was the paperwork for the flight and certain medication but to no avail. We were made to take stuff out and place in hold bags, she was very rude and although it was explained to her that people go to the duty free shops and fill their cabin bags with goods, she said that this didn't happen! Also explained that 5Kg was a legal limit for cabin bags (total lie). January flight different again, obviously different staff but helpful cheerful and made the transfer a non stressful event (as it should be). Both flights uncomfortable, no leg room, broken seats and the seemingly compulsory broken toilet on the return trips. Thank goodness Monarch are now flying to Hurghada, approx 50% of the cost and better service. As frequent travelers to Hurghada, we welcome this competition, hopefully TC will up their game, their whole booking online system is inadequate with frequent changes to aircraft and therefor your seat reservations. We found that paying to book your specific seat/s is a complete rip off. They can (and do) change your seat, without telling you, and let it be a complete surprise when you get on the (different) aircraft.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by R Shevels    (UK)

Tenerife - Newcastle, Boeing 757, Seat 12F, Behind exit door. Huge gap between door seal and airframe, icy draft for 5 hours, paid for extra leg room not a cold draft up the trouser leg, asked for a blanket, received a small thin piece of cloth labeled "Polar Fleece", only 5 of these available. Cabin crew not interested, only spoke to passengers when they were selling something. Don't bother, book with a better airline.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by P Manning    (UK)

Just returned from Cuba and was worried by bad reviews. We booked premium upgrade and seats and cabin were just as comfortable as Virgin. Only criticism is that the lights were not dimmed early enough on the return flight so unable to rest as much as would have wished. In economy the seats were narrow and it was hotter especially in the middle of the plane. Flight attendants were polite and helpful. As the upgrade is half the price of Virgin you would not expect wine with meals and free drinks on demand but tea or coffee is provided with the meal which was tasty, choice of two mains. Drinks can be purchased. Tea 2.50. Choice of films or radio adequate. I enjoyed the flight even though it was longer than usual as the pilot diverted to avoid bad weather.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by S Quinn    (UK)

Excellent flight from Manchester to Barbados via Antigua, January 2014. Seat felt roomy and plenty of leg space. Good food and very pleasant crew. Was not expecting much because the flight was so cheap so was really pleased. Have already booked again for January 2015.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Matt Jeffrey    (UK)

London Gatwick-Barbados-London Gatwick onboard the A330-200. This flight was part of a P&O Cruise package and having flown Thomas Cook to Miami on another cruise charter a few years ago we were not looking forward to the experience! However, both flights were on time, the food was fine and the legroom has been improved dramatically since our last trip. I'm 6ft and had plenty of space in front of my knees even with the seat in front reclined. The crew and service provided on both legs was excellent.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by A Harrison    (UK)

Just returned from flight Barbados, the worst airline we have travelled on. Booked extra leg room this was row 30, firstly seat near window should not have been charged for, also not told toilets were there. People crowded there. Had long delay at Barbados airport and not 1 person from company came to departure lounge, nothing offered in about 8hrs, then had to collect baggage and go to different hotels at midnight, then collected from hotels and once again taken to airport. Absolutely horrendous, finally arrived in Manchester on Monday morning at 7am instead of Sunday at 4am.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by D Bodicoat    (UK)

Main complaint is over seat spacing and lack of seat comfort. This was on an Airbus 321, from East Midlands to Lanzarote and back. How anyone would expect to be able to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency is little short of a joke. Looking at other reviews, I was pleased not to have paid a premium, all that seems to achieve is to add to the cost. Food was just about adequate, with a hot drink served in a very small paper cup. At least the flights were on time in both direction and the cabin staff were pleasant enough. Could have done without the bombardment of announcements on the outward flight in connection with scratch cards and customer reviews - do they take any notice of the latter anyway?

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by P Simpson    (UK)

We travelled from Manchester to Cancun, and return, on one of their Airbus A330-200. The aircraft has been reconfigured to a 2-4-2 seating plan. We were seated mid cabin in the 2 seat starboard side. There was sufficient legroom, however, the seats were narrow with little padding for this long hall flight. They were most uncomfortable. Do not book the extra legroom seat by entrance toilet, your gets hit by the door every time it is opened.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by N Laver    (UK)

Economy flight to Llieda (for skiing in Andorra). Fairly quick and efficient check-in. Hassle free boarding and greeted pleasantly onboard. However, the flights to and back were ruined by the seat comfort. As a very seasoned and regular passenger on scheduled flights throughout the world, the TC 757-300 aircraft had the most unpleasant, uncomfortable seats that I have ever had the misfortune of using. I am around 6ft and my knees were jammed against the seat in front. The seats were very thin and offered little support. The tray table was higher than I am used to and around 2/3 of the standard size. When the mediocre food arrived it was a struggle to find room to eat. Clearly Thomas Cook believe that they have found a 'winning formula' to cram the maximum seating into the aircraft. They have lost my future custom and I am actively ensuring that I don't recommend them to anyone else.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by A Cook    (UK)

Gatwick to Dalaman. Both times I have flown with this airline have been really bad. On one flight I was so cold and they refused to get my friend a blanket. The next time we were sat by the toilet and of course that's never good but mostly the problem was the tiny seats! I am a slim woman and not really that tall but I was so uncomfortable.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by L Vernon    (UK)

Just got back from Tenerife flying from Newcastle, the outbound and inbound flights were a pleasure, the stewards/stewardesses worked throughout both flights although the inbound flight only had 77 customers on so the staff had more time to talk to everyone especially our twin 4 year old grandsons whom they joked and played with. A great experience for us.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by A Kola    (UK)

TCX816, 29/1/14, TCX854, 9/2/14. MAN - Barbados - MAN. Outbound asked 4 times for a blanket, only when the duty free trolley came round was I able to get one as I refused to buy anything until I got a blanket. Return trip had no blankets or pillows and the worst vegetarian meal I have tasted. A joke for long haul and the price we have to pay and no alternative other than expensive snacks.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by R Sargeant    (UK)

Gatwick to Cancun, 29/1/2014 to 10/2/2014. Well what can I say simply this look at all the bad reviews take them in and understand that if you want a good flight experience please book with another company, Thomas Cook are a let down from start to finish. Whatever they tell you you are getting with them I can assure you, you are not. Premium is a joke, select your seats - no point you won't get them anyway. Your inflight entertainment won't work so take your tablet, on the upside the the staff are friendly and do their best.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by P Johnson    (UK)

Gatwick to Goa return on A332. We were very pleasantly surprised at the TC product. Adequate legroom and reasonable food, we had no need for the IFE. Flight was early on both legs. Cabin Crew were friendly and engaged. We would happily fly with TC on this route and aircraft type again. I am 6 ft 2 inches tall so I know the misery of a cramped aircraft.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by J Stafford    (UK)

7 Feb 2014, TCX2515, Hurghada (HRG) to Manchester (MAN). Worst flight experience I have had, leg room was the worst I have come across, cabin temperature was faulty - too hot. No individual controls. Boeing 757 far too small for a six hour flight. It is a budget airline but there are limits.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by P Clayton    (UK)

Went to Banjul, Feb 2014. We are well travelled and have flown many times and I'm 6'1" and slim. This was by far the worst travel experience made even more uncomfortable by an extended trip to pick up fuel on way back in Las Palma's. The seats are ridiculously uncomfortable and we had a pair of drunken passengers behind us. We tried to upgrade our seats on the way back but sold out. I will never fly in these planes (757s) or with TC ever again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by J B Staines    (UK)

Flew to Banjul and back end January/early February from Gatwick. We had booked extra leg room seats and could not have endured the journey without them. The flight should have been 6.5 hours but took over 9 hours going out and 7.5 hours coming back because of unscheduled re-fuelling in the Canaries and issues loading cargo. Staff were great on both journeys, plenty of communication (even when it was bad) and customer focused hostesses, particularly on the return flight. The food was quite good for airline food. One film shown on outbound flight, no entertainment system on inbound. On the outbound flight my seat was broken and I couldn't stop it reclining and crushing the knees of the tall gentleman behind me. It was a newer plane on the return journey and for the first time ever, I had to have an extension seat belt (I'm a size 20 and 6 feet tall). All Thomas Cook need to make them a good airline is to increase their seat pitch. I just don't know how the tall people on our flights endured over 9 hours in such cramped conditions.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by A Gillard    (UK)

Very pleased to experience an excellent flight with Thomas Cook. I flew from Manchester to Barbados in January 2014. After reading all the negative reviews, I was really worried about travel arrangements. From check in to arrival, I could not fault anything, the staff were very pleasant and helpful, seats comfortable and food good (for an airline). I look forward to travelling with them again.