Thomson Airways Passenger Reviews and Thomson Airways Customer Trip Reports

Thomson Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by A Jamieson    (UK)

Very poor customer communication and information in flight from Sharm el Sheikh to Edinburgh on 5/10/2013. Flight was delayed but no info provided in the terminal. Once on board could sense strange attitude amongst the cabin crew but they waited till the flight was about to leave before letting us know that we were being diverted to Newcastle because of runway work at Edinburgh. No information on why Newcastle not Glasgow which is considerably closer. No information on expected arrival time in Edinburgh taking account of bus journey from Newcastle. No decent opportunity to let people collecting at Edinburgh (taxis, family) know of delay which given 02.45 arrival time was very worrying for people. No additional food or drinks provided even though the overall delay was 4 hours. During the flight the cabin crew were very inattentive instead talking with each other almost non-stop and at one point all moving to the forward area to talk. The curtain does not mask noise and for those of us near the front it was impossible to sleep due to the cabin crew being so selfish. The cabin crew kept going on about how they were affected by the outgoing flight being 1 hour late and failed to see the customer perspective since we faced a bus transfer and a 4 hour delay. They are paid to do their job which includes customer service. They made 1 trip through with the drinks trolley then each announcement focused on their offers of scratchcard, duty free and then charity collection. One of the worst crews I have ever seen in action.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Joan Critchley    (UK)

Just flew back from Antalya on the new Dreamliner. Very impressed with plane loads of room to move around cabin lots of leg room while seated. Good choice of entertainment available. Cabin crew try to sell headsets at 2.50, but headsets for iPad and iPhones work no problem. Overall a very enjoyable flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by G Mclean    (UK)

Outbound LGW-Zante, 20th Sep. Inbound Zante-LGW, 1st October. Actually impressed on the two flights and very happy, 737-800's both times were in good condition and comfortable in both instances. Cabin crew on both occasions were also friendly and did a good job, especially with the young families aboard. Only poor condition of the cabin was actually due to infantile graffiti on backs of seats. However, solid flights and would definitely use again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Phillip Cook    (UK)

ACE to LGW, TOM4767, 29th Sep. Return flight was in principle a repeat of the outward sector, but his time we were more exhausted for hanging around hotel foyers most of the day. Check-in quick and efficient, flight departed on time, excellent flight progress updates from the skipper. A newer version of a 737-800 with irrelevant so called Mood Lighting, but oh dear still that "Very Noisy" cabin, the flight was a repeat of the outward in terms of none service & active selling by the crew from the trolley. Most people seemed to have become aware of this version of highway robbery, so business wasn't so brisk. Thomson Airways are clearly a mover of people, with little understanding of passenger wellbeing. Their one salvation is the highly innovative cabin safety video, which provided brief amusement in what became another dismal flying experience.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Phillip Cook    (UK)

LGW to ACE, 22nd Sept, Tom4766. Check in was quick and efficient, departed on time, from there everything went downhill. A full cabin, no seat choice offered, no food distributed, no drinks distributed all required either advance or in flight payment, on a nearly a four hour flight. This is as close as I have come to being treated like cattle I was made to feel guilty when I asked asking for a fruit juice or a drink of water. Crew very nonchalant, addressing my wife and myself as Guys or me as Mate, which I wasn't. Also very intent on emptying their trolley, this was stacked with paper cups containing tea and coffee, or a pre-packaged food menu which most people left, scratch cards & some charity nonsense was thrown into the mix. Boeing 737-800 very noisy cabin in comparison to Airbus single aisles. Skipper provided excellent updates on flight progress and highlighted areas of interest, first class. The name Thomson Airways is a contradiction in as much had I been transported on a cattle truck down the M1 for four hours I would likely by law have had better service, never again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by Rob Sidley    (UK)

LGW-KGS-LGW. Was not looking forward to this trip having read previous reviews! Late take-off due to aircraft late in from Ibiza plus techie with wheel replacement required at Gatwick but very informative pilot who kept us informed regularly at the gate. Clean new aircraft, seat configuration tight but I guess that's charter for you. Everything chargeable on the flight but I didn't think (alcoholic) drinks cost unreasonable though a cup of tea on the return flight at GBP2.50 was a little bit steep! I ate at Gatwick on outward bound so cannot comment on food though menu clearly snack driven and probably not good value for money from what I saw. Cabin crew ok. All in all, I can't complain about the flights. I was travelling flights only and only had cabin luggage, so on that basis I was happy with the flights.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Mark Betts    (UK)

We flew on the new Dreamliner in premium on 19th September. We normally fly BA from Gatwick but could not be bothered with the 4 hr drive down, but I wish I had. The crew on both flights were poor unprofessional and quite frankly Thomson needs to sort their customer service out. The premium seat were uncomfortable and my wife who is a size 10 could not get out of the middle seat when the front seat was reclined! How in an emergency would they get out! Overall very poor and would not use again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  26 September 2013 by G Kramer    (UK)

I flew from Gatwick to Aruba in late June 2013. Flight took off exactly on time - flight staff were all very attentive and well mannered. Food and beverages were adequate given that we were traveling economy. My wife had a vegetarian option for her meal but said that it was unappetising. The seat back entertainment was mach appreciated on a 10 hour flight. I note quite a few negative reviews on here but honestly I would struggle to find any issues to raise.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Janet Dean    (UK)

My husband and I have been flying with Thomson for over 10 years and have experienced small planes, big planes, old planes. But have always felt safe (I'm nervous flyer). We got back from Zante, 14th September on a new plane and went out on a new plane. A comfortable flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by L Winn    (UK)

Travelled to Cuba on 3rd Sep 2013 from Manchester on flight TOM 122/3, returning on 17th Sep 2013. Both the outbound flight and the return flight were delayed 4 hours. We were not given a satisfactory reason just a 5 voucher - what a joke! We have flown with Thomson for years and were surprised to see just how much their service has deteriorated. Aircraft was freezing cold in both directions. We only had one very poor meal on the outbound flight and one even worse meal on the return plus a poor excuse for a breakfast - fruit smoothie and fruit Danish pastry. Only one drink was served during the 10 hours flight - which is disgusting. The cabin crew were not professional at all. They were only interested in trying to push duty free products. We can remember a time when cabin crew looked well groomed and professional. The aircraft's are old and dated and very uncomfortable, especially for a long haul flight. Appalling service and Thomson should be ashamed of themselves. I believe that Thomson will no longer be flying to Cuba after April 2014 but they are not geared up for any long haul destination. We are looking at using Virgin next time.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by P Jones    (UK)

Supposed to travel to Majorca on a Thomson flight, ended up on a Jetair (Belgium airline) with a later flight time of approx 6 hours. No inflight entertainment except watching the cabin crew trying to interpret what passengers wanted to drink, (poor English) no duty free, no snacks available and on return flight a 'free for all when boarding leading to congestion on aircraft. This airline has same livery as Thomson but is a poor facsimile.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by J Marsden    (UK)

Looks as if I travelled on the same 787 Dreamliner as G Parkinson (16/09/2013) TOM 144, MAN to CUN. (14.09.2013) and return 21/09/2013, TOM 145. Though in economy with legroom of 33/34" both ways 13A/B outbound and 19A/B inward the flight was comfortable and crew both ways were excellent, no problem sleeping on return as fortunately on both legs we had passengers in front who were not the selfish type insisting on reclining seats. The only reason I have downgraded food is because 1): being allergic to mushrooms the meal outbound was chicken a la king and stacked with mushroom (told by wife that it was very good) and 2) breakfast on return was very poor quality orange juice, yoghurt and a block of bread/cake with no spread, (most people seemed to leave this "appetizing dish").

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Christine Wynne    (UK)

Our flight to Paphos on 28th August was all going smoothly, all passengers had boarded not by jetty but by having to walk across the tarmac. Everyone was on board the doors were closed and steps taken away before the scheduled time of departure and there we sat, after about 10 minutes we were informed by the flight crew that we had missed our slot due to the unavailability of the push back tug and we would not be departing for 1 hour and 45 mins. The plane was eventually pushed back to a concrete stand in the middle of the airport and surround by barriers. We sat there for over an hour and were then informed that when the barriers were removed we would depart. This is not our first experience of delay with Thomson on flights to Cyprus. Our return flight times had been changed twice in a week which we found rather unusual as we were well into the season and would have thought that Thomson would have known there return flight times. In June we have another problem with a flight to Paphos when the computer required a part, we were told as this was an old computer it would take time to reboot and so we sat again on the tarmac. What is the problem with Thomson flights to Paphos from Gatwick. As today my daughters flight to Paphos has yet again been delay for over an hour, as of now I do not know the problem but when I do I will inform you. It seems that Thomson just want full flights and take any slot available that other Airlines refuse.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by J Prior    (UK)

Flew with Thomson as part of package holiday from BHX to RHO and return. Booked extra legroom and very satisfied with the space provided. Both flights on B757 and on time, return one had the old style seats, thankfully now in dark blue leather instead of hideous bright green of First Choice. Outbound one of cabin crew was ill so spent last hour of flight stuck in seats. Return flight much better. Friendly captain who spent time talking to passengers in first 2/3 rows before takeoff, then kept us entertained throughout the journey. Cabin crew very friendly, possibly result of captain's attitude. The low scores are reflection of lack of proper food, inflight entertainment and high costs relating to extra legroom seats and more luggage allowance. The "fast food" style catering is overpriced and smells horrible.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  17 September 2013 by E Coulter    (UK)

Friday 13th September. Flew back from Naples airport. Do not wish to repeat this experience in a hurry! Flight on way out okay however flight on way back was in an old 757 plane. Impossible to alter air conditioning during the flight, which according to pilot, was due to the old design of the plane! Several people complained about this. Worst part was the very long wait for any kind of customer service. After waiting for what seemed like hours for air hostesses to serve us, we were kindly or not so kindly informed that they had run out of paninis and sandwiches and the only hot food available was soup or chips. Chocolate fingers and Pringles does not constitute a proper meal. Why can't we go back to the good old days, where meals were included as part of the flying experience and you didn't have to pay extra to sit with the person you are travelling with or pay extra for going over the miserly 15kg limit for hold luggage. Think EasyJet now provide a better service than Thomsons and their luggage restrictions are not as bad as Thomson. How sad, that a once great airline, has been reduced to this! The current air hostesses could also certainly do with attending some kind of charm school and at least not be rude about the passengers until they have left the aircraft! Won't be flying with Thomson again in a hurry, if I can help it.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by G Parkinson    (UK)

Premium

TOM144, Manchester to Cancun. 787 Dreamliner, Premium Club Cabin. An impressive modern new aircraft with great mood lighting which created a more relaxed atmosphere. The crew were friendly overall and the food was pretty good. The one thing that let Thomson down was the seat. For an aircraft that was 10 years in the planning it I think someone has messed up at Thomson with a basic design consideration. The seat itself is relatively comfortable and once sat down the leg room is adequate. This issue is that seat in the Premium cabin is clearly not designed to be so close to the seat in front. The TV screens are stowed in the central arm of the seat meaning that the arm rests between the seats protrudes out a significant distance to the seat in front. Even with the seats in the upright position, the average sized person struggles to get out of the window seat without climbing over the aisle seat. During the flight you are regularly disturbed by the person behind grabbing your seat back in order for them to try and manoeuvre out of their window seat. You can already see signs of damage on the aisle seat armrest where the person in the window seat has put their weight on the armrest in order to get them self out. The seats recline no more than an inch or so and I assume they have been restricted as an afterthought in order to try and minimise the issue. This is annoying as it would be nice to recline your seat a little to get some rest (there will not be much dreaming going on in the Thomson Dreamliner). Once the seat in front reclines even this short distance, you effectively become trapped in the window seat. The seats power sockets and headphone sockets are also located in the front of the central armrest holding the tv screens. It is almost impossible to access the sockets because you can't see the sockets or move your head into a position where you can. This is because your head hits the seat in front before you can get a viewing angle to see the sockets. Not looking forward to my long night flight home as I had hoped I would sleep. We paid 1300 each for return flights to Cancun and so I consider the value for money to be poor.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  13 September 2013 by J Plane    (UK)

Do not fly with Thomson to Corfu. Thomson line all passengers up outside the airport in very long queues whilst all other airline passengers just wander through to check in! It means you fry out in the sun or at worse get soaked whilst you wait and wait! Then its a rush to get through security and its a choice between nipping to the loo or visiting the duty free shop as there is no time to do both! It just seems to be Thomson passengers who are forced to do this! Once on the plane the seat width is appalling and the planes are dirty. I went to look through a flight magazine but it was held together with chewing gum! All staff want to do is sell. Once landed you wait for ages to be released from the torture, on this occasion the steps brought to the airport hit the plane! You just have to laugh!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by C Peters    (UK)

Delayed for over 8 hours at Dalaman airport. Flight should have landed at Gatwick at 17.00 on the 2/9/13.arrived home at 02.00 am on the 3/9/2013. No Thomson staff at all in Dalaman airport. Announcements were inaudible. All we could do was look at the screens for any updates. After eventually boarding the plane 8 hours later. We were not even given a complimentary drink. No hot food was boarded on the plane for the passengers as this was due to Thomson not wanting no more delays. Once we were on the plane we were told the passengers flying from Gatwick to Dalaman had eaten the hot food.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by D Roberton    (UK)

We flew from London to Rhodes and return. We paid over 900 for the trip. It was awful. It is like flying on a shop. No service at all. Worse was yet to come. We were delayed nearly 4 hours on our return on Saturday night. No announcements were made. Vague apologies and a voucher. People with babies and small children were just left. Not a member of staff to be seen. It was appalling. They may have a new aircraft but their services and staff are dreadful. Never again. We will never fly with Thomson again. Absolutely dreadful and a complete rip off.