Thomson Airways Passenger Reviews and Thomson Airways Customer Trip Reports

Thomson Airways Customer review :  23 January 2014 by T Elwell    (UK)

Just arrived from Phuket on the Dreamliner, 23/1/2014, TOM 095. Nice aircraft but poor seat layout and mentioned by other reviewers, constant queue for the wcs, flushing for 12.5 hours not nice. Cabin crew were ok. Courtesy for passengers should be premium on this the flagship aircraft, our 1st dreamliner flight will be remembered for all the wrong reasons, normally go to the Maldives for Christmas, the last 3 times with Thomson, booking Kuoni this year.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  20 January 2014 by Nicklas Robert    (UK)

We flew to Barbados on the Dreamliner. On both legs of the journey there was a constant queue for the toilets sometimes six deep. The design of the plane puts the obvious place to queue opposite the toilet doors but Thomson sell this space as extra leg room. You are asked to queue in the narrow aisles which is a serious squash. Thomson like to sell drinks first so we were prevented from sleeping during the 8 hour return flight by having to wait nearly three hours for a poor meal then the usual attempt to sell duty free goods. The cabin lights were finally dimmed four hours and fifty minutes into the flight. When you are landing at five in the morning and facing a drive home this is Thomson putting profit ahead of comfort and safety.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Drew Harvey    (UK)

LGW-SID-LGW, flight 612/613. Out on 9/1 and back on 16/1. Flew old B757 which going out was spotlessly clean and found the seat pitch just about bearable. I'm just over 6'2" but object to paying the ridiculous amount they were asking for extra legroom - talk about squeezing every last penny they can out of you! The crew were excellent, really happy and friendly and made the 6 hour flight seem to go very quickly. Food was pretty good, but if they offer you a free hot meal why not include tea/coffee. Seemed a bit penny-pinching. Coming home old and tired ex- First Choice B757 and despite having exactly the same seats the leg room was much worse. The crew did their job but for a lot of flight were behind the curtain in the forward galley. Very uncomfortable and cramped flight home. Find easyJet much better, aircraft much more pleasant to fly on and not such a rip off if you want to pay for extra leg room. Shame they don't fly to Cape Verde!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Dawn Light    (UK)

Cabin crew were awful, no eye contact. I had a window seat and unless you was in an aisle seat you missed out. Food was inedible throughout the flight. I choose this flight as I thought it would be so much better than travelling to Heathrow and changing at Bangkok as I do this trip alone but I was wrong, I'd much rather do that than go on the Dreamliner. They could learn a lot from Air Asia, their service is second to none.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Nigel Castle    (UK)

We flew to Phuket with Thomson on December 24th from Gatwick's North Terminal. We awoke at our hotel to news we should check in early to poor weather. We arrived at the north Terminal and could only just get in due to the queues .We queued for 3 hours with no communication from Thomson or anyone. The systems were down and we can understand that. After 3 hours we finally arrived at the next check in and were told to go to the South terminal? Those further to the back of the queue could transfer over easier and we ended up at the back of the queue at the South Terminal. 2 hours later we checked in. Still no communication from anyone from Thomson. After another 2 hours or so at the gate and many people losing the plot. There was a situation at the gate where make shift check in staff were arguing with passengers and these were giving their time and they were not from Thomson doing their best (Monarch I think). Yet again there were no Thomson staff giving any feedback or help whatsoever! We ended up boarding and going by bus to meet our aircraft and leaving at least 4 holiday makers missing their flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  9 January 2014 by D Robbie    (UK)

I flew to Punta Cana (PUJ) from LGW. We were told that we would be flying on the new 787-8 Dreamliner and with its surrounded hype from the airline had given its newest addition to its fleet as 'impressive.' To comment on the service received outbound and inbound is quite mixed, leaving London to Dominican Republic the flight was easy seats acceptable but the IFE is very limited which one would expect from a charter airline. I just wished that the staff were more 'willing' to help, please don't get me wrong I am not criticising their ability to do their job's I am sure they are more than capable when they have a good attitude. With such a brand new aircraft being the showpiece in Thomson's fleet I would have expected a 'first rate service.' I partly echo that statement on the return journey back to London the crew was short due to a crew member being taken 'ill' so cabin service was reduced or seemed slower than normal. Turning this into a positive they did the best of a difficult situation and carried out their jobs with a smile much more warming and friendly than the inbound trip. Rating the food isn't really something I want to moan about continuously but even for airline food the standard is pretty poor not something I would find appealing nor would I receive say on British Airways flying to e.g. Cancun. I haven't flown with Thomson before but knowing what I know even though the airline got me to my destination safely it just feel that they have all the right tools e.g. new aircraft, willing staff but they need to be utilised a bit more tactfully in gaining more willing and paying clients.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  8 January 2014 by D Light    (UK)

Went to Thailand on the new Dreamliner and was thoroughly disappointed, food was awful, the cabin crew were so disinterested - no eye contact so having a window seat was a nightmare. I would rather travel with Air Asia and change at Bangkok the service was excellent.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  6 January 2014 by R Walker    (UK)

Thomson Fly: Flew NCL-TFS-NCL. Out 24/12/13, back 3/1/14 so very surprised by the changes in a Thomson cabin. Haven't flown on Thomson for years, new B737/800 and leg room! Still over priced food but staff very good both ways, on time also both ways. Again so pleased we did not get one of the old B757 so hope this becomes the norm it is long time over due as old planes give wrong impression of the UK top holiday company. We asked for 12e/f no problems at all.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Mike Parker    (UK)

We just returned from the Dominican Republic on the Dreamliner, we had pre-booked leg room seats in row 30. This we found was a waste of money as any extra room you had was full of people queuing for the toilets anyway, also the extra legroom seats in the middle of row 30, the passengers kept getting trodden on. The smell from the toilet was awful. If you want extra legroom try row 10 it may be better. The seats to me are smaller in width and very hard so not very comfortable. This aircraft is faster saving at least 30-45 mins flying time compared to the older 767s.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Andrew Smith    (UK)

We flew from Gatwick to La Palma on 6th December. First there is the combined check-in. Only 5kg hand luggage per person, not one bag between two weighing under 10kg. More than my jobs worth we were told. Everyone in the queue was re-packing their luggage causing long delays as only 4 counters open. Then onto an elderly 757 - only 93 of us on a plane with 220 seats! Return was similar, at check-in in La Palma all passengers wearing coats and jumpers to avoid the same problem but the counter people did not bother about hand luggage. What a farce. Thomson Airways has now gone onto our Ryanair list - never again!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Anita Case    (Spain)

Flew from Manchester to Cancun Mexico on 4th December 2013. Upon take off water came flooding in over people. We were sat in seats 37. Obviously concerned with all the previous troubles the Dreamliner has experienced, people started to panic. The staff were unhelpful advising that this was normal from the air/conditioning system. People were soaked and the overhead compartments had previously been stuffed with tissue paper, to top it all the aircraft crew simply gave people mounds of tissue paper, and were very unhelpful and not sympathetic at all. Food was terrible. We had a 40min wait on the runway when landing in Cancun. Never again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  23 December 2013 by T New    (UK)

Good experience with Thomson Airways travelling on the Dreamliner. The cabin crew were professional, polite and helpful. I'm a nervous flier and the flight deck crew made me feel safe with regular updates about the flight and timings etc. The plane food was tasty and the tea/coffee included with the meal was both welcome and a surprise as we thought we had to pay for all beverages. The only thing that didn't make it excellent was having to pay for snacks and drinks in between meals. Aside from that it was up there near Emirates on service and product (the best I've experienced). If only they hadn't marketed the food with the label "economy club". The complimentary daily mail on the way back was a nice touch as I was desperate to find out what was going on in the world. We flew economy so were surprised. The inflight entertainment was okay. A better selection of music and movies could improve this. Pleasantly surprised all in all and would definitely use them again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  17 December 2013 by P Scully    (UK)

Premium

We flew the new Boeing Dreamliner, Manchester to Barbados to join a P&O cruise ship, it was superb, just 7.5 hours out and 6.5 hours returning. 41,000ft at speeds up to 650 mph. The service was good, the food better on the outbound, not wonderful but good. However the design of the seating whilst very comfortable made exiting when the flat screens employed virtually impossible. Finding the control and call buttons is also a challenge. The choice of in flight entertainment was very limited, in particular music. We are used to Emirates economy where there is just so much choice. We have been back in the UK for a few days now and the jet lag does not seem as bad as previously.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 December 2013 by P Cowell    (UK)

MAN-CUN-MAN, B787 Dreamliner, Economy Class both ways. Inflight Entertainment good, crew / service good. Slightly better outbound than inbound. Food perfectly acceptable - hot and tasty. Coffee served with meal is lousy though. Only gripe is that seats are too narrow (I'm average build but sat in the middle seat for 8 hours plus through the night is uncomfortable and claustrophobic - especially when seat in front is reclined).

Thomson Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by G Morell    (UK)

TOM810/1, LGW-HRG-LGW. After reading reviews we weren't exactly looking forward to our 5hrs plus flight to Egypt. Both flights on a B737-800 and just 5 empty seats outbound and a full flight on the return. It really wasn't that bad. Legroom wasn't as tight as I expected and perfectly ok for my 5ft 11ins. Crew worked hard and considering the long flights (they don't stop over, but return straight way) did very well. Food and drink payable on board, very similar to a LCC now. I would have preferred a meal service given the length of this flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Michael Shellock    (UK)

Flew from Cancun to LGW on flight TOM 063 which was scheduled to depart Cancun at 16.20 hrs local time 1/11/13 but, due to as yet proved reasons, did not depart until 13.05hrs the following day 2/11/13 - a delay of nearly 21 hours. Together with another flight, TOM195 to Manchester due to fly 17.00hrs on 1/11/13 but flew 11.30 hrs 2/11/13, we were eventually transferred to the Riu Palace Peninsular for overnight stay having stood at Cancun airport for 7 hours! Blame for delay of both flights according to Thomson staff was that check-in was prevented by SITA or US TSA failing to confirm passenger details since aircraft flew over US airspace, although staff admitted that Thomson failed to send info on time &/or that info had errors. On top of that delay with all the to-ing and fro-ing then the crew were timed out! On our eventual flight, as we were getting settled in our seats, guess what one of flight staff asked us to do - you guessed it, please fill your questionnaire about our holiday experience! The food was pretty disappointing too!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 December 2013 by P Hartley    (UK)

Uncomfortable, dirty aircraft. No food or drink when delayed, and no compensation due to hiding behind "exceptional circumstances".

Thomson Airways Customer review :  4 December 2013 by Vicky Coates    (UK)

Flew BHX-SIN-BHX on 757-200 in row 20 outbound and row 25 inbound. Far too cramped and claustrophobic for a 6 hour flight. Impossible to get comfortable in the seat or walk down the aisle without tripping over someone's foot and hitting someone's knee or elbow. I'm 5'2" and small and I had trouble moving around. There was no entertainment of any description which just isn't good enough for a flight that long. The food wasn't great but edible and if you wanted to drink anything with the meal you had to buy it. The crew was a mixture of those who seemed to enjoy their job and others who would rather have been elsewhere. They ran out of most duty free items on the inbound journey. I wouldn't choose to fly with Thomson again unless they invest more in their ageing fleet and inflight entertainment.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by P Reynolds    (UK)

BHX - HRG, B757-200. I pre purchased extra legroom seats (row 8) as I had flown on this type of aircraft before and found the seats very tight for a 5 hour plus journey. Well worth the extra as I had at least 36in legroom. The outbound flight left 3 mins early and arrived 10 mins early, similar coming back. Yes there was a bit of sell, sell, sell, but I suppose they need to make some money. Overall a good experience with the extra legroom seats and wouldn't hesitate to book again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Jeffrey Matt    (UK)

TOM5678/5679, Luton-Las Palmas-Luton. Aircraft both ways was a 737-800 with the return aircraft being only a few months old. Outward flight left on time & the cabin crew were friendly and efficient. Flight deck crew both ways were fantastic and very informative about our flight and routing. PA was very loud which was great as I enjoy listening to updates from the flight deck. Legroom good on both sectors. Return flight 30 mins late departing but no fault of Thomson just volume of traffic at Las Palmas. Hot food purchased on board was nice and drinks services were frequent for a short haul flight. Overall very impressed with Thomson.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by K Dugan    (UK)

We flew back from Mexico, Cancun on 26/11, sat in 37 E, above the seat tissue paper was shoved into the roof, it was slowly dripping water. On take off, as the aircraft leans back water rushes out and pours over me and the passenger in front. Alerted the cabin crew, they simply said it was the condensation on the air conditioning due to the heat of Mexico, no apology. Asked to report to maintenance staff, the cabin crew outright refused saying it wasn't a maintenance issue, it was normal for the aircraft to do that. Seating is very cramped, cabin crew look untidy and have a terrible attitude toward passengers. Food was ok to poor, out bound was better than in bound meal. Entertainment was the only decent thing, with plenty of films to watch. Would strongly recommend people to consider other travel providers before using Thomson.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 November 2013 by L Dolder    (UK)

We have just travelled to the Maldives on the 787 Dreamliner. We sat in row 35. I think there is a definite design fault with this aircraft. The toilets are at the back, which were fine but the ones at row 30 have not been logically placed. They serve everyone in the middle section of the aircraft and people in the low to mid 30's look forward and see these ones rather than the rear ones. On our night flight out, theses new loud super flushing toilets with their noisy pivot doors were in constant use. The constant whooshing of the loos and banging of the doors could be heard all night from row 35 goodness knows how cross the people who paid for extra leg room in row 30 must gave felt. As if this wasn't enough of a noise the cabin crew obviously had lost something as with a small light they proceeded to open every single overhead storage compartment and close it 3 times during the night, I guess it was the forms you fill in to gain access to the Maldives as they announced they had run out before we landed. I also feel that although the leg room is good the width room didn't feel very spacious and due to the configuration of 3x3x3 there were a lot of people, who I guess hadn't booked seats together, who were across isles or one behind each other for the flight. The captains messages were also not very loud and clear so you couldn't always hear what had been said. A positive thing, the new design windows that black out are great.