Thomson Airways Passenger Reviews and Thomson Airways Customer Trip Reports

Thomson Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by J Tunstall    (UK)

17th May, flight Manchester to Punta Cana on the 787 Dreamliner. Paid for extra leg room seats row 30 B/C, no window on this row, these seats are next to the toilets in the middle of the economy cabin, there was a constant queue for the toilets for most of the flight, people stood next to and in front of us. Food was very poor - meal offered was pasta which we don't eat, no alternative available. It's a good job we ate at Manchester airport prior to boarding. Return flight sat in row 10A/B, these are also extra leg room seats which were an improvement from row 30 - large window. Seat pitch is good but the seats don't seem as wide as the 767 seats.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by N Beetson    (UK)

Travelled to Cyprus on may 21 2014, we were on a 737-800 from Birmingham. The flight was on time, boarding well organised and on entering the cabin was pleased how modern and clean it was. The seats were comfortable and had plenty of legroom, the cabin crew were very pleasant and professional during the flight. On our return flight we travelled on a 757 which also was very new and clean with the bonus of departing Cyprus 20 minutes early and arriving at Birmingham 35 minutes ahead of schedule. The captain was very pleasant on this journey and would fly with Thomson again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Gillian Addsion    (UK)

Premium

I travelled to the Dominican Republic on the 11th May 2014, and as it was a very special occasion I booked premium for the 4 of us. Waste of money. Window and middle seats are very hard to get out of. Staff outbound were very friendly and helpful, but the return flight they were moody and unhelpful and could not be bothered to serve us our drinks! Meals were supposed to be different from economy (but our friends who sat in economy) had the exact food as premium. I did not know children were allowed in premium (8 hours non stop screaming). It was a nightmare. Stick to economy. Premium a waste of good money!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 June 2014 by J Fogarty    (UK)

Travelled beginning of May to Fuerteventura and on the return journey firstly there was surprisingly more passengers on the plane than on the paperwork. A discrepancy of 100 passengers. This meant more fuel had to be put on the plane and thankfully this was noticed by the flight crew. The cabin crew were rude, the curtain was pulled across all the flight resulting in the front two toilets only one being available and when you ask to use the other toilet the look you get from the crew. Definitely a them and us situation. Passengers were greeted with rude responses. Really poor service with having to wait 1 hour and half before getting the first drink. Then had to wait 45 mins for the rubbish to be cleared away after having hot food. This included the drinks rubbish. Poorly organised and disgusting service. What's worse is their response after complaining nothing was documented about the need to refuel and the discrepancy and will be dealt with internally. Nothing for us being a special occasion and they portray they deliver excellent service and safety. Never again will we use this airline!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by P Lockton    (UK)

Premium

Went on a tired and stained old plane from East Midlands to Cancun in the last two weeks. Had premier seats but still cramped, no menu, (just as well as I have never got what I asked for) and not comfortable. The base of the seats seem blown. Anyway, as usual, night flight so no premium service. We went to Dom Rep on the dreamliner last year, not much different, its ok saying the windows are so much bigger, but due to the cramming in, few windows are in a comparable line of view from the seats. A bit pointless. Couldn't feel any enhanced travel comfort, its better for the staff, and premier is a rip off. As you pay 6 months in advance, you still have to sit up at midnight when the seats open to book, then find that week holiday makers on the same flight can book 90 days before which is 97 days before you so they get the seats they want.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by H Blaney    (UK)

Have just returned from Florida travelling both ways on the much hyped Dreamliner and disappointed to say the least. After paying for being seated together we were split up on the way out. There were many other families experiencing the same issue. My main gripe is the width of the seats they were so uncomfortable it beggars belief and certainly don't match the comfort of the old 747. We are not large people at all but seating in a row with my son and husband both six foot in height and average weight we were like sardines crushed together! So disapointed as this was the first time on long haul for my other son and family and not impressed as if the person in front reclined you had to crane your neck to watch the seat back TV! All drinks had to be paid for and the food just average, as for the dancing lights yep I agree you see them for about 2 mins enough time to say Wow! Certainly if we ever travelled long haul again I would not be looking to travelling economy with Thomson!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by A Stevenson    (UK)

Premium

Gatwick - Cancun - Gatwick. This was in the new 787 Dreamliner. Premium Economy has a 2-3-2 configuration and a 36” seat pitch. All flights on time. Meals rather ordinary, but drinks dispensed generously. A good selection of films and other entertainment on the IFE system, stored in the armrest. Two toilets in the Premium cabin, one in the forward galley and one at the rear of the cabin; on the outward leg I was rather brusquely asked to sit in my seat rather than wait in the galley for the toilet to become available, this seemed a bit unnecessary and over assertive for the sake of it since I wasn't in anybody's way, but other than that service was generally good. Regarding the Dreamliner, cabin air is apparently of a higher quality than other aircraft due to greater cabin pressure and humidity, difficult to say for sure how much difference this made, but I disembarked both flights feeling in good shape. The cabin ceiling is comparatively high, and the overhead baggage compartments are generously sized. A few issues though. As many others have noted, there is a serious problem with the design of the seats / armrests; even with a 36” pitch, if the person in front has reclined their seat then it's very difficult, unless you have an aisle seat, to exit your seat without climbing over the passenger next to you. Also, although the aircraft have been in service less than a year, the seats are already looking the worse for wear; some of the plastic trim in the armrests is coming loose, some of the IFE screen mechanisms were also very loose (on the outward journey, I noticed that someone had needed to jam bits of cardboard in the mechanism of my IFE system to keep the TV screen upright) and on the return journey the footrest on the seat of one of my party was jammed in the extended position. Finally, although we were given a nice printed menu of all the beverages supposedly available, on the return journey we were told that several of these had been withdrawn, so the variety of soft drinks is actually rather less than Thomson were advertising. On the whole pretty good, and I think the 787 sets new standards, but for the extra we paid for Premium seats we expected a bit more.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by M Campbell    (UK)

MAN - Larnaca. On time, new 737-800 aircraft. No IFE but had planned for that. Am 6'2 large build row 7 out, 13 return. Found 13 more room than 7. Crew friendly. Food ok. Late on return due to large amount of aircraft into Larnaca.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Dawn Hemburrow    (UK)

On a recent flight to and from Greece on 15/5/14-23/5/14 we were charged an extra 40 to sit next to each other when we were in fact charged for extra legroom when the seats didn't have extra legroom and it wasn't what we asked for, the young man who booked us in said because we hadn't printed off our boarding passes and checked in online we would have to pay which was quite displeasing. In Kefalonia we were told we shouldn't have had to pay this money as there were other seats together that were vacant. When we headed for our return trip again we had to pay 60 to sit next to each other, this time there was extra legroom but again we weren't bothered about the extra legroom, just wanted to be sat together.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Salmon Claire    (UK)

We flew to Puerto Vallarta on the new Dreamliner 787 and found the aircraft a lot better than most I have been on. There is plenty more leg room and especially as my husband is 6' 4" having the extra leg room on a long haul flight meant he had a much more comfortable trip. I'm not sure how the 'dancing disco' lights are supposed to help with jet lag though. My only issue is with the flight attendants. On the outbound flight they were nothing less than rude. They gave the impression that we as passengers were putting them out when they came around to serve us. Everyone was 'thrown' a rubbish bag and we were 'told' not asked 'told' to collect all our rubbish up including on the floor space around us! When we were exiting the flight I tried to make polite conversation with one of the attendants as we waited to exit. All I got was a shrug of the shoulders and an eyeball roll!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Steve Sharpe    (UK)

Premium

I booked the Dreamliner in December 2012 for three premium flights April 2014 (based upon my medical condition). We got a 17 year old crammed and worn out 767 on an extended lease previously very well used and abused by Airtours that was due to be sold on. The crew were very apologetic and said they had had quite a few similar complaints. It was not a delivery issue as they had the Dreamliner and were actually using it to fly to our destination but decided to fly it from another airports without telling us or giving us the chance to move. Despite my booking I was never told of the change and it was not for operational or weather related reasons. Even the premium seats were old worn and poor and it ruined our dream holiday. Don't fall for the adverts.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  28 May 2014 by J Creedy    (UK)

Just came back from Sharm travelling on a first choice flight, we have decided never again. The seats are so tired and small and if you are unlucky enough to have the person in front put their seat back you are in real trouble. The space is horrific. I had to stand for most of a 5 hour flight as there was no room for my legs - yes my legs. Ok I am 5"7 with long legs. I could not sit down as the seat in front of me was resting on my knees. I asked for the seat to be put up but was told the passenger in front had the right to put his seat back. Do I not have the right to have room to sit in a seat which I have paid for. I generally pay for extra leg room, but due to travelling with children you can't have extra leg room.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by S Cowburn    (UK)

We booked in Aug 2013 to travel in May 2014 for a family of 7 adults and booked Premium Economy to Orlando Sanford. Only found out when checking the API status that the plane had been changed to a larger one on the outbound flight only but this plane had a reduced amount of Premium seats. We contacted Thomson who denied all knowledge of this and after about 3 months of constant phone calls we were told that Premium seating would be on a first booked basis and we would be downgraded on the outbound flight and Premium on the inbound. Obviously we were not happy with this but we did receive money back. Our new seats were only allocated 2 days before our trip which was stressful. When we arrived at check in however we were still in Premium on their computer and had to stand for 45 mins at the desk whilst it was sorted - not good at 7 am. Flight out was ok except my husbands earphone socket didn't work but luckily there was a spare seat he could use. I find it annoying we have to pay for refreshments on a long haul flights and think its time Thomson included this in the price. Return flight was Premium with early boarding and all refreshments included. Food choice was good and the cabin crew attentive and helpful. Inflight entertainment was not as advertised in the on board brochure with only limited films available. Luggage retrieval in Manchester was a nightmare with most luggage on the flight apparently 'lost' for 45 mins. We have travelled with Thomson holidays on many occasions with no problems with flights but this was a flight only purchase and I will never book just flights with them again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by K Dunham    (UK)

Gatwick - Cancun return in May 2014 on their new 787 Dreamliner. All the hype given is about this new aircraft falls flat due mainly to Tui deciding to turn "Economy Class" into "Cattle Class". On-Board entertainment media is rather mediocre. Meals have become stingier and bland. A heated five inch roll with a slice of tomato & cheese for breakfast just before landing at LGW was a joke. The aircraft is noisy from engine roar. Leg room is better than other planes due to the fact that you can get your legs under the seat in front. The windows are said to be 30% bigger - big deal! Headroom is good when standing due to the arched ceiling, but you're seated 90% of the time. Light, fleecy blankets were given out for sleeping during the return flight only to be dragged off tired young children as they disembarked by flight staff. And finally, families i.e. 2 adults + 2-3 children, who hadn't pre-booked and paid extra to reserve seats had to sit scattered about the aircraft. A poor show all- in-all!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by Wendy Jones    (UK)

When is the best time to book flights? Never with Thomson Airways unless you have a lot of money to waste. Booked flights from Doncaster to Malaga for 2 adults and paid GBP 565. Three days later flight costs were down to GBP 295. Booked flights from Doncaster to Faro for 4 adults & 2 infants, I paid GBP 1,700 - I have since seen the same for GBP 595. Totally disgusted with Thomson.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by T Denby    (UK)

Flew out of NCL-SSH on the new 737's plane out super clean modern comfortable, on time, really smooth flight. Way back was a slightly different newer 737 seemed a little smaller. Gutted to find out that row 14 didn't recline especially as it was a night flight. I always feel airlines take to long to dim the lights as they are too busy trying to sell you things. The food and drink is expensive. Shame they don't do hot meals on short/mid haul anymore. Seat pitch wasn't great but not the worst either. I would travel with them again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by C Foster    (UK)

Flight to Cancun 9.15am. Three passengers on flight had already had too much to drink, but cabin staff still sold them endless bottles of wine, they were loud and annoying all through the flight and cabin staff did nothing. Seats were dirty. Seat in front broken and could not be put in the upright position. Return flight, plane much smaller with restricted leg room. Have used this airline many times, but each time it gets worse.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  11 May 2014 by A Woodham    (UK)

Holiday arranged to fly on Dreamliner, 25 April from Gatwick to Sanford with 11.25 am take off. Actual take off 6.05 pm. Over 6.5 hours delayed. No contact from Thomson's at Gatwick as to why the plane could not be used. Seems it was grounded due to Technical problems.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  4 May 2014 by R McAllister    (UK)

Good experience overall. Outbound and inbound both had empty seats so that will of course have given an impression of even more room. Flew Economy with extra leg room seats on 787 and I feel that it was worth it. Seats 10C and 10D on both sectors. Prompt efficient and friendly service, timely flights and the aircraft certainly has shaved the flight time. Does the lighting/improved oxygen, etc. help? I think it does. I'm don't cross the Atlantic every week but am no stranger to long haul and on landing after both sectors felt better than normal - maybe it's psychological! Better than my last BA/Virgin crossings but be warned- PE in my humble opinion really isn't worth the difference. Had a good look (even during the flight) and glad that the extra 589 stayed in my wallet. That's my next golf trip covered!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Steve Garrett    (UK)

Premium

Flew Premium Economy to Cancun and back on an old First Choice 767. 10.5 hours out and 9.5 hours return. Check in a breeze at Manchester. Absolute mayhem at Cancun on arrival but not too bad an experience on departure. The flights were uneventful, the food mostly edible and service from the friendly crew was fine. I've heard that the 767's are to be eventually retired in favour of the Dreamliner and that might tempt me back long haul with Thomson. Not 100% sure if the Premium Economy is value for money but although the leg room was acceptable, seat width was not. Other than that, Thomson got me there and back and that is all I wished for.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 April 2014 by T Bradley    (UK)

Booked to fly on Dreamliner 25 April from Gatwick to Sanford with 11.25 am take off. Actual take off 6.05 pm. Over 6.5 hours delayed. Given one 4 voucher each for myself and wife that didn't cover cost of sausage roll. Told to start boarding at 4pm but as stated above didn't take off till 2 hours later. Booked Dreamliner because it had extra legroom as I've just had a hip replacement and would have liked the extra room. Eventually flew out on an older plane with standard seat pitch so felt slightly cramped. Was asked to pay 2.60 for a cup of coffee on the flight despite the long delay. The captain says the original plane had been hit by a lightning strike but I have scanned the internet and many news items and forums but cannot see anything with this news story. It started out when we received a text at 6.04am on morning of the flight saying our flight had been delayed until 3pm. When we arrived at the airport this was then delayed again to 3.30pm then 3.55pm then finally just after 4pm told to go to the Gate for boarding. Our first and only Thomson flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Fletcher Paul    (UK)

Premium

Having travelled with Thomson on the 787 Dreamliner to Cancun on 12/04/14. Priority check-in and fast track at Manchester was easy and stress free, we flew Premium Economy and the extra price on the 787 was well worth the money. So much space, so quiet, the only down fall to the 787 at the moment is the seating layout or should I say the seat design, if you want to get out of your seat and you are seated at the window or in the middle seats you have to be able to bend to get out. The middle arm rests make it near impossible to get out of your seats without disturbing people in front or behind. The crew are happy and always willing to help, the food was good and the inflight entertainment was very good. All in all don't be put off by the seating, this is as good as Virgin but at half the price and I will be booking the Premium 787 for our next long haul holiday.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  28 April 2014 by M Tongue    (UK)

Premium

Travelled to Orlando, 10 April. Premium check in was good, fast pass through security, however luggage didn't get priority when claimed. Also disembarking, was a free for all. Flight was good, nice quiet engines. Coming home from Sandford, big slow moving queue for Premium the other Thomson queue moved faster, no fast pass through security. Flight good, had to wait a while for steps to disembark, very primitive for such a prestigious plane, this isn't mentioned in the adverts! Then bus back to terminal, however cabin crew let premium cabin off first! Again baggage just appeared when it did, no special tags. Thomson need to sort these issues out as they do not match the advertisements of sheer luxury at a price!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  26 April 2014 by G Paulon    (UK)

Flew to Punta Cana and back on Dreamliner, good seat pitch although seats are a bit narrow. Thomson is now the Ryanair of long haul, apart from one small water and one coffee with your meal all other drinks have to be purchased including water which should be free on a long flight. However entertainment is good, staff were pleasant and efficient on both trips, meal going out was terrible, passable on the return.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Roberts Michael    (UK)

Premium

Travelled Premium Economy on TOM046 from Gatwick to Sandford on 2 November 2013. Was scheduled to depart at 9.15 so checked in at 6.00 Checking in was excellent and we made our way to the NO 1 Lounge arriving shortly after 6.00. We had booked the lounge to hopefully start the journey in a relaxed way. At approx 8.30 we entered the main terminal to enquire about the obvious delay. There were no Thomson staff on duty at the information desk until 9.00 where a large number of disgruntled passengers had gathered. 5 vouchers were handed out but with no explanation for the delay. We then returned to the lounge but were only allowed to stay for the unexpired period of our 3 hours entitlement namely 30 minutes. We eventually departed at 13.00 having spent the remainder of the time in the far relaxed environment of the terminal building. We were not impressed by the over hyped Dreamliner and agree with the majority of points mentioned on this site. Due to Thomsons lack of customer care we will not be booking with Thomson again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  22 April 2014 by M Butterfly    (UK)

Our flight was from Manchester to Naples and back. We booked extra space seats and we found them comfortable for the length of flight. The flight took off on time with no delays. Boarding was quick and easy in both directions. Flight was 3 hours. We were on a weeks holiday with only 15 kg each check in. We had no problems with that. The flight attendants were busy due to the short flight with first drinks, then hot food and finally duty free. The prices of the food on board was not too bad. But, we had brought our own food on board. It was everything I would have expected in a short haul flight and will use again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Bolden John    (UK)

Flew with Thomson to Mombasa for the first time on Dreamliner. The aisles are too narrow so constant buffeting by stewards, had to pay for coffee and when queried the steward was rude and suggested we fly with another airline next time, the stewards were chatting all night in the galley so no sleep, our cases together with those of 50 other passengers left on plane which had parked elsewhere at Gatwick. No one from Thomson available for comment at the time so had to hang around for an hour and a half awaiting outcome. Stressful experience all round and no help from customer services so we will not use this company again.