TAP Air Portugal  Customer Reviews and TAP Portugal Passenger Trip Reports

TAP Portugal customer review :  13 September 2013 by N Do    (France)

GVA-LIS then LIS-RAK. I should have booked a low cost company. Onboard, the crew did not smile. On top of that, our seat had broken individual air conditioning thus we had all the air on our face. Requested a seat change however they definitely make us feel like a burden during the flight which was only 1.5 hrs long. Scheduled to fly back on Monday. Can't actually call it service but forced attendance!

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 September 2013 by S Stevens    (USA)

Flew from Zurich to Lisbon and then from Lisbon to Paris on a different trip. Zurich to Lisbon was the most uncomfortable flight I've been on (until the one from Lisbon to Paris). The seats are minuscule, and legroom is non-existent. I'm 6'3 and my knees were unable to fit behind the seats, large metal plates and brackets from the seat in-front of me on both flights were cutting into my legs. My legs literally had to be set all to one side and somewhat on top of the armrests in order to not have metal gouging my knees. My Wife is 5'4 and also had problems sitting in the seats without her knees hitting the metal plates on the seat in front of her. The 1st flight was only delayed 20 minutes. The flight from Lisbon to Paris we waited at the airport for 14 hours from the time we got there with minimal or no updates. Of-course when we got to Paris all of our bags were lost. But luckily we got the bags 3 days later. I will never fly TAP again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  6 September 2013 by Kristensen Laust    (Denmark)

Flight from Portugal to Brazil, the seat had no working entertainment system, when they came to me they had run out of all items except lasagne. The staff were rude and had no interest in solving the problems.

TAP Portugal customer review :  5 September 2013 by D Freitas    (Portugal)

FNC-LIS-FNC. You should choose a low cost airline rather than this. The price paid does not reflect the service. Most of the time there won't be any meal due to their constant policy of flying with minimum crew. Can't understand why this happens but it seems to be a general policy of the company now. Flight attendants seem miserable and unhappy doing their job. It's incredible how much their service has decline in recent years, mostly due to their comfortable monopoly of profitable routes. Avoid at all costs.

TAP Portugal customer review :  3 September 2013 by Don Hunter    (France)

I flew GVA-LIS-ACC on 24 August, business class. The first 2 hour sector was very average, with no inflight entertainment (A319). Lounge in LIS ok but very busy. The problem was the LIS-ACC sector. Business class. The seats were economy 1970 style. I thought there must have been an equipment substitution but the crew informed me this was indeed Business class. Truly a 3rd world set up and I will avoid TAP at all costs in the future. Crew were disinterested and the food offering miserable even for economy. Someone needs to wake up in this airline's senior management.

TAP Portugal customer review :  30 August 2013 by Wendy England    (Portugal)

LIG-LGW and LGW-LIS. 23rd August and 27th August respectively. As mentioned in many other reviews here there was an extremely long check-in queue with only two check-in desks open. The flight was over an hour delayed in departing. This was followed by a very long delay in luggage retrieval at Gatwick which, to be fair, might be more the disorganisation of Groundforce. Return flight on the 27th was appalling. I was probably one of the first people to check-in so did not know there was no inflight service available until we had been in the air for almost an hour. I had to virtually beg for a cup of water. What I would like to know is how TAP thinks it can hold on to its share of the market in this way. The Star Alliance has given them a huge advantage by using the names of other, well-reputed airlines to sell tickets but I warn other to ensure that their Lufthansa flight is not run by Tap Portugal because the flight I took on that occasion was the worst flying experience I had ever had. This last experience has simply ensured that I will do my utmost to avoid flying with Tap again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 August 2013 by H Andrade    (Portugal)

Lisbon - Barcelona (TP1048) - This particular flight is constantly delayed. Booked to depart at 20.30, on a regular basis leaves before 22.00. Its my 7th consecutive delay this year on this route and to be honest TAP Portugal have a serious problem with time. On this flight no information was provided, first info comes at 21.00, the flight should leave at 21.30, then a second one putting the departure date at 22.00. The flight leaves at 22.40, arriving in Barcelona the next day. I leave the airport at 02.00 (expensive Taxi fare home). Onboard, the staff were OK but keeping the low standard service. A simple excuse in Portuguese and in imperceptible English. The airplane was dirty and smelly and once more no food on board. For TAP Portugal frequent fliers its becoming a nightmare, deal with constant delays, bad service and no food on top overpriced tickets.

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 August 2013 by Matt Grant    (UK)

Manchester to Lisbon, 7th August 2013. At check-in there were 2 very long queues. Near to the front of our queue, the TAP staff just got up and walked away. What followed was further disarray as the other staff simply shrugged. Left to simply go to the very back of the remaining queue. On the return journey there was a similar case with half a dozen different flights merged into two queues, which then resulted in 'emergency desks' being opened. Check-in took 2 hours on this occasion. Boarded on 07/08/2013 from Manchester to Lisbon. Departure time of 11.20am passed and we were delayed. No communication as to why. Then the cabin crew started to frantically count the passengers - with patchy information provided to individuals. Around 2 hours into this debacle, passengers were each offered a small glass of water. 3 hours 10 minutes after proposed take off time, we departed. No apology and no clarification given.

TAP Portugal customer review :  19 August 2013 by Kristoffer Michelsen    (Denmark)

MIA-LIS-CPH, 10/08/2013. MIA-LIS: Check-in was fine. Flight left on time. One of their older A330 with old interior. The person TV's didn't work. Flight time was 8 hours. Food was very good, a choice between fish and pasta. I choose pasta and it was delicious. They came around with water during the flight, breakfast was good as well. Landed on time at 5am. LIS-CPH: A320, Crew was very nice. Flight departed on time, went smoothly. They served some kind of fish with mashed potato. Landed on time. Baggage was also very fast.

TAP Portugal customer review :  14 August 2013 by Beverley Wright    (UK)

Worst airline I've travelled on. Flight Heathrow to Lisbon delayed, missed connection, issued connection flight to Funchal. Sent from Lisbon onto Porto, more delays then Porto to Funchal, 11.55pm had 5 mins to get flight told to run and as we took off the landing lights at runway were being switched off behind us! Then delays on 11 August 2013, 3 hour delay at Lisbon to Heathrow. I think every TAP flight was delayed on departure board. No staff around so no proper info being given out.

TAP Portugal customer review :  13 August 2013 by Blonk Enzo    (Belgium)

TP2568, VCP-LIS on Aug 10th 2013. You pay a fortune for the worst service, even a smile from the crew isn't included. Food served in economy is the worst I ever had (even for TAP standards) : dry bread for breakfast, some cheesy fish for dinner. Inflight entertainment is a choice of 13 channels that play in loops (something I haven't seen on a flight for over 10 years). The only good thing is a bit of leg-space (better than some Air France Boeings) flying to Brazil. The ground personnel are not much better. Connecting flight to Brussels, TP614, delayed 2 hours, and they were not willing to put me on a Brussels Airlines flight that left in 60 mins, even for a Star Alliance Frequent Flyer that I am! Result: 6 hours waiting at Lisbon Airport.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 August 2013 by Ann Manson    (Australia)

Can only talk of my one and only TAP flight Lyon to Lisbon. We were given an upgrade to business, very lucky indeed. But more importantly the flight left and landed early, important as we were meeting family in Lisbon they also arrived on an early TAP flight from Barcelona.

TAP Portugal customer review :  5 August 2013 by Kristoffer Michelsen    (Denmark)

Flew CPH-LIS-EWR. First leg CPH-LIS: A319, nice comfortable seats, friendly FAs. They served breakfast, and it was some omelette with tomato sauce and mushrooms. For some it was tasty, not for me. Flight was on time. Second leg LIS-EWR: Was planned as A340-300, got 3 hours delayed due to technical problem on engine. Very bad information at LIS about when flight was going to depart. Aircraft change to A330-200, old interior. Very bad food. Close to not being edible.

TAP Portugal customer review :  2 August 2013 by J Foxx    (UK)

LGW-FNC, 30th July 2013. I have to say I was dreading this flight after reading a number of reviews. I fly fortnightly on Business and regularly for pleasure and this was the first time we had used TAP. I was happily surprised by the service and quality of flight we received. As a regular traveller to Madeira from the UK it has become rather expensive to use so called low cost carriers and charters to the island so we turned to TAP in the hope they would be able to service our requirements and they far exceeded my expectations. Yes I agree their service could be improved by more presence in the cabin, but the cabin crew were friendly and efficient. The leg room and seat space for a large build 6ft3 chap was brilliant for an economy seat. We boarded on time however 25 minutes late leaving LGW due to heavy traffic. Overall a really positive experience and looking forward to the return later in August.

TAP Portugal customer review :  31 July 2013 by T Pinheiro    (Netherlands)

AMS-OPO (TP651 on 25/7/2013) and OPO-AMS (TP652 on 29/7/2013). Inbound flight delayed 1hr 35mins for a 2hr 38mins flight. Outbound flight delayed 30 minutes. Delays are constant on this route. The last 10 flights I flew on this route were all delayed. The explanation was always the same: "late arrival of the aircraft", which really is no explanation whatsoever as to say that the flight is late because the aircraft is late amounts to say nothing at all. The delays led to the loss of takeoff/landing slots and/or to the allocation of the farthest takeoff/landing runaway in Schiphol which adds to the delays and is frustrating to the passengers. Priority luggage at the arrival of the aircraft in Amsterdam was delivered last compounding the delay. Boarding was chaotic, with everyone boarding simultaneously and queues not being respected both in OPO and AMS. Aircraft on this route (Fokker-100) are old and outdated. TAP Portugal is expensive (flight costs are those of a premium airline, while the service is certainly not), inefficient and its on-time performance is appalling. Although the food is decent in the business cabin, the service is nothing special, with attitude shown from both the cabin crew and the handling staff. It is dangerously placed in an airline limbo: its service is slightly better than a low cost - food/drinks and newspapers are provided - but its cost is that of a premium airline. However, delays are a constant. All in all it would not be a sustainable airline, if it did not have the advantage of the de-facto monopoly in certain routes. Not recommended.

TAP Portugal customer review :  31 July 2013 by J Garnett    (USA)

My flight yesterday was from Brussels to Marrakech - connecting in Lisbon. Initial flight out was delayed, causing us to miss our connecting flight to Marrakech, which was the last flight and only flight into Marrakech out of Lisbon airport. The whole situation was preventable, had the airport staff skipped us to the front of the customs line, or even moved us to the European passport line. We waited in the US passport line for 30 minutes - while there was no wait in the European passport line. When I explained to staff that I was going to miss my flight, he responded that the TAP Portugal flight had been delayed 30 minutes, so I would still make my flight. When I got to the gate, the plane was there but the gate was closed. In fact the flight was not delayed 30 minutes, rather they waited an extra 10 minutes for late passengers, but apparently not for us. The TAP customer service rep was rude and incompetent. She gave us bad instructions on retrieving our luggage, and it took us almost 3 hours to get our suitcases. We arrived at Lisbon airport at 2.15 - by the time we dealt with all the unfortunate nonsense it was almost 6pm before we got in a cab. TAP Portugal's standards of service are unacceptable.

TAP Portugal customer review :  25 July 2013 by D Barker    (UK)

Flew to Horta via Lisbon from Heathrow. All 4 flights there and back were delayed. Luggage lost for 2 days on outward flight. On last leg Lisbon to Heathrow not enough cabin staff to serve the light meal and drink, just offered cup of water.

TAP Portugal customer review :  25 July 2013 by P Besnard    (Netherlands)

16/6/2013, Amsterdam - Lisbon, departure time approx. 12.15 hrs. 28/6/2013 instead of 27/6/2013 (cause: strike, 25 hours delay): Lisbon - Amsterdam, flight 662. Very bad experience. Flight 1: overbooked, no security instruction, unfriendly personnel. Flight 2: totally insufficient management of Portuguese strike, no security instruction, unfriendly personnel, same entertainment as during flight 1.

TAP Portugal customer review :  22 July 2013 by J Johnny    (Portugal)

Portugália Airlines: LIS-BRU, on a Fokker 100. Departure slightly delayed. Aircraft was dated, there were no information monitors but seats were comfortable, although space under the seats could be bigger. Crew was friendly but the meal consisted only of a turkey and cheese sandwich, accompanied by a fruit drink, however this was a mid- afternoon flight of 2 hours 40 minutes, so there is no need for a fancy meal.

TAP Portugal customer review :  22 July 2013 by B Bantam    (UK)

Portugália Airlines: Ancient aircraft, lateness and worn out wobbly seats - Portugalia is for you. Stewardesses were very good. Flew Manchester to Lisbon. Booked to fly on TAP but they decided to shunt us onto their poor relation. Ridiculous delays and poor aircraft experience (Fokker 100). Worn out seats and broken fittings. Will go out of my way to make sure next time we fly to Lisbon that we avoid Portugalia - or TAP for that matter.

TAP Portugal customer review :  22 July 2013 by J Gonzaga    (UK)

Check in at LGW, agent did not even greet me, took my passport, tagged my bag and that was the extent of the exchange. Boarding was on time however, my seat (6B) was still in a business call setting so I had to call a steward over to sort this out which she did but then I had to find my own head rest which was under the seat. Lunch was so poor, I wish they had not bothered with it. Flight arrived early and we were off quickly. Poor service, flight attendants not interested and unfortunately this is not the Air Portugal service that I use to know and I hope that this will change soon.

TAP Portugal customer review :  20 July 2013 by D Freitas    (Portugal)

FNC-LIS-FNC. There is a recurring issue when flying with this airline which is the cabin crew. More than usual, they are flying with ‘minimum cabin crew’ which actually means you won't get served any meal whatsoever. Not even a cup of water, don't mind asking. Cabin crew, more than surly, seems absent minded and just don't care about passengers. I'm a frequent flyer and I always get the feeling I'm a burden to them. Low cost carriers offer much better product. Unfortunately for some routes they got the exclusive monopoly. Don't mind complaining too, they won't read or reply.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2013 by C MCconnell    (Czech Republic)

Flight delayed 2 hours from Prague to Lisbon. Arrived at midnight. I missed my connecting TAP Portugal flight to Faro. I was sent to a hotel without my luggage. I was given a boarding pass for the next day at 22:30 which is unacceptable. I also had a hotel booked in Faro for one night, which I obviously missed yet still paid for. I went to the airport at 05.00 to reclaim my baggage and was denied it. I managed to get transferred onto the morning flight at 09.45. Changed gate almost 5 times before passengers commenced boarding. In the process of boarding, flight was cancelled. I asked for food vouchers which they very nearly refused to give us. Waited at baggage claim for our luggage for over 4 hours! My bag, in the end, did not appear. Finally a bus arrived and I made it to my destination at 22:30. Return flight from Faro to Lisbon was fine. Arrived at noon. Flight from Lisbon to Prague was scheduled at 14.45, delayed until 16.15. Then delayed another hour and another and another. No concrete information given. They were understaffed and short 2 cabin crew members. Stayed in the airport until 21.30 and 9.5 hours later we finally boarded the flight to Prague, with no in-flight meal. Landed in Prague at 02.30.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2013 by R Harrington    (UK)

28th June, TP331, London Gatwick to Porto. 12th July, TP332, Porto to London Gatwick. Traveled twice with TAP in last 2 weeks. Have flown many times for both business and leisure, both short and long haul. I have to say TAP is probably the worst airline that I have come across. Late seems to be the norm, with no information about the cause and no real apology. Blaming a "late inbound aircraft" is not really an explanation - after all, its their fleet. Cabin crew surly and unfriendly. Choose another carrier if you can would be my advice.

TAP Portugal customer review :  16 July 2013 by V Naidoo    (Australia)

BCN to LIS return (TP1039, 10 July 2013/ TP 1038, 14 July 2013). Both flights were on-time and commendable. The flight was smooth, food (sandwich and juice) was decent for the short flight. The flight attendants seemed rather friendly also.

TAP Portugal customer review :  15 July 2013 by A Ricardo    (Portugal)

Had two flights, LIS-LHR and a Portugalia (Tap owned) MAD-LIS recently. TAP flight was steady, great pilot. Delay of 30mins solved and arrived on time. Meal: ok for such short flight, A320 is not a plane that I like a lot but its ok. Service with a smile. Portugalia's flight was on a Fokker 100 and I liked it a lot. Plane looks less cramped than the A320. Good service, helpful crew. In check with PGA normal service. Smooth flight. Luggage: no problems.

TAP Portugal customer review :  12 July 2013 by A Nikunen    (Finland)

FAO-LIS-Helsinki. TP 1912 and TP796. 8/7/2013. During the last month I have had 4 flights with TAP. Delays seem to be business as usual. But the thing that really amazes me is the unfriendliness of the cabin crew. Are they trained to be stiff and impolite? What would a smile and a friendly, positive attitude towards the customers cost? Now the basic feeling on the flights has been that the customers are only irritating nuisances.

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 July 2013 by H Andrade    (Portugal)

Lisboa - Sao Paulo - Flight overbooked! (Maybe that's why on-line check was not working). As a regular Silver passenger I have to wait 45 minutes to be confirmed on the flight. Once more the flight departed with a two hours delay. Food OK, Very young friendly crew but the old supervisors not friendly. Every month I have a transcontinental flight with TAP, the feeling I have is: "they are doing us a favor." Flights are much more expensive and the service is everyday poor.

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 July 2013 by H Andrade    (Portugal)

Sao Paulo - Lisboa - once more the flight was overbooked, consequently delayed. Ground staff was horrible. This time I don't have any luck and catch one of the worst cabin crews in life. Food was served like a campus without option, for the first time I skipped a meal on a transatlantic flight. I prefer to starve to eat such crap, many around do the same. Cabin crew do not offer an option. Breakfast service was poor. TAP abuses a dominant position, we don't have any other option to cross the Atlantic to Brasil. This explain the highly prices (3400 euros) in economy and the poor service.

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 July 2013 by H Andrade    (Portugal)

LIS-MUN. Flight delayed 3 hours, no service provide on the ground, remember Lisbon Airport is the main hub for TAP. Boarding by bus, old A320 with the interior dirty, old and smelly. No food, drinks or snack served on board due to "one missing cabin crew". On the way back the flight was operated by the Star Alliance partner Lufthansa A321, a superb flight experience, like should be always.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 July 2013 by Rainer Rohdewohld    (Germany)

Flew from HAM to LIS, 29/6/2013 and return a week later in Economy. Flight from HAM was delayed 3 hours, no service was provided during the flight because of lack of staff (official explanation). Since it was a day after the general strike in Portugal I thought this might be bad luck. Return flight slightly delayed and again no service on board because of "lack of staff". This information came together with the boarding announcement so no chance to stock up provisions before boarding. After reading other comments my impression is that this is corporate policy although TAP does not claim to be a low-cost airline and is certainly charging significantly more than LC carriers. Definitely not recommendable.

TAP Portugal customer review :  5 July 2013 by Roger Childs    (Spain)

As a regular traveller AGP/LIS/FNC I am left with no choice but to fly TAP, This must be the worlds worst airline for lost bags, late flights and missed connections. The last time I flew this route they lost our bags, missed our connection and gave us a biscuit for lunch. I wish another carrier would start to operate on this route.

TAP Portugal customer review :  31 July 2013 by T Pinheiro    (Netherlands)

TAP Portugal customer review :  31 July 2013 by J Garnett    (USA)

TAP Portugal customer review :  25 July 2013 by D Barker    (UK)

TAP Portugal customer review :  25 July 2013 by P Besnard    (Netherlands)

TAP Portugal customer review :  22 July 2013 by J Johnny    (Portugal)