PAGE loading ... please wait!

Syrianair Passenger Reviews and Syrianair Customer Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Add your Syrianair Review

Syrianair detailed 2-Star ranking

Customer Review scoring : Syrianair
2.9 out of 10  2.9 out of 10

PAGE:   1 | 2 |

SYRIANAIR review :  25 November 2009 : by T Lloyd  (UK)

I tried to arrange a group trip with SyrianAir from London to Aleppo via Damascus and back. Initially all was fine until they cancelled the first leg of the journey to Damascus a week prior to us leaving. The next flight was 2 days later but there was no immediate plane to Aleppo once we had arrived at Damascus which meant we would have to take a bus up instead, a journey we weren't too keen on. While friendly, the staff are fairly useless and I sat for MANY hours trying to sort things out. We changed the flights to stay the same number of days but decided to go to Aleppo at the tail end of the trip under our own steam, and the fly Allepo to London (again, via Damascus) on the same ticket. Unfortunately the staff didn't really get the 'group' concept and kept issuing tickets for the wrong dates for different members of the group. It took too many visits to their offices in Baker Street to finally get everyone on the same flights at the same time. The flight to Syria was fine (late) and we managed to get up to Aleppo ourselves, but the day before we were to fly out again we went into the Syrian air offices to confirm everything was ok. IT WAS NOT. They had cancelled the flight to Damascus without informing any of us and we had to arrange a midnight bus from Aleppo to Damascus Airport to make the correct flight back to London. Luckily this one hadn't been cancelled. But it was late. My advice: Don't Fly SyrianAir and if you do, check on your flights constantly.

SYRIANAIR review :  24 October 2009 : by John Doe  (UK)

Daytrip to Aleppo on day one, outbound was a domestic leg of an international flight that continued to Stockholm. Aircraft was filthy but on time. Was quite concerned when airline staff took our passports, to be returned in Aleppo - to identify domestic passengers, or give us an incentive not to stay onboard for the long flight to Sweden (and civilisation). Return was on decades-old Tupolev 134, although this aircraft was very clean. Day two was a round trip on the same aircraft to Deirezzor and back, to fly on a Yak 40 (very unusual old Russian commuter jetliner, gone from service everywhere else in the world). While the Yak was a novelty, I am sure for a regular airline passenger, it would be quite scary, as the plane was in fairly poor condition. Our flight, unlike the previous day's ALP/ARN service, left from the domestic terminal, a real third world mess with puddles of water and ash on the floor, no signs or shops or anything. Smoking was encouraged though. On arrival at Deirezzor, my travel partner and I were arrested because (we assume) it was unusual for pax to fly-and-return in the same morning. Released and allowed to rejoin the flight back to Damascus, but on arrival back at DAM were arrested again and spent the entire day being interviewed by scary "security" officials, who were not only sinister but also incompetent, eg: photocopied our passports but inadvertently gave us the photocopy, then searching their own paperwork for the photocopies etc. Perhaps our travel plans were out of the ordinary, but if it was an itinerary unfavourable to Syrian security concerns, why sell us the ticket in the first place? Eventually released, shaken. Day three was a day trip to Latakia, beach resort. Old Yak 40 again, shabby service, smoking cabin crew, smoking refuellers etc. Waiting at small Latakia airport for return to DAM, many plainclothes cops pacing like circling sharks due to a VIP passenger. Same at international departures (TK to IST and on to LHR) - circling security agents in shiny suits everywhere, hanging ceiling panels, frayed wires, broken luggage belts, broken destination indicators with hand-written signs taped over them (complete with spelling mistakes! our flight was to Astanbul). Never been so happy to leave a country. Some of this doesn't relate to Syrianair but our troubles revolved around the Deirezzor flights, which, again, Syrianair were quite happy to sell us. Avoid this country and it's deluded joke of a national airline.

SYRIANAIR review :  10 June 2009 : by Kris Janssen  (Belgium)

Brussels-Aleppo, Damascus-Brussels. Cheapest tickets to Syria, direct flights from Brussels to Aleppo and Damascus, friendly crew, adequate food. Although older Airbus, they were clean and looked well maintained and a lot of legspace.

SYRIANAIR review :  25 May 2009 : by Salim Jabbour  (UAE)

DXB to DAM delayed for 10 hours, SyrianAir Reps fled the scene and there was no one there to tell us what was happening. After 10 hours of waiting we starting boarding by buses, then we waited another 3 hours while a mechanic tried to get the baggage door shut - a total of 13 hour delay. We weren't put up in hotels, no one apologized except for the Dubai airport officials who where also trying to get a hold of the Syrian ir Staff. After arriving at Damascus Airport, a lot of baggage was left behind - we were forced to stand in line to report the lost luggage.!

SYRIANAIR review : 21 May 2009 : by E Smeeton

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Syrian Arab Airlines LHR-Damascus-LHR. Flights departed on-time, aircraft an A320. The crew were helpful and efficient and we were supplied with one main meal, which was fine. We were also given a drink during the flight. Haven't used them for an internal flight but would be happy to use them again on an international flight.

SYRIANAIR review : 11 December 2008 : by E Coombs

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

LHR-Damascus return and and an internal flight from ALP to DAM. The prices were good, as was the outward journey food, but other aspects of the service leave a lot to be desired. The cabin staff on the way out smoked behind the curtain, and when my husband challenged them about this, they actually offered him a cigarette. The flights were all on time however, although immigration is tricky as no-one seems to know exactly what to do if you are from abroad. On the internal flight, my suitcase handle was wrenched from the case Didn't try and complain as it was hard enough to get into Damascus airport main terminal let alone explain the suitcase had been broken. Staff seemed astonished that we had taken an internal flight. Finally, there was a beetle in my salad in the in- flight meal on the way home. The cabin crew were very apologetic, telling us as best they could in poor English that this had happened several times before. We were offered extra nuts and coffee as was the man sitting next to us.All in all, it was an interesting experience. We wanted to support Syrian Air, but I'm not sure I would use them next time, although I would definitely visit Syria again.

SYRIANAIR review : 10 October 2008 : by Hasnain Raza

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

Tehran - Damascus. Very poor from the start to the finish. Checking in the man was very poor in his manners. On the plane the service very poor, food poor, service poor. I could even smell the flight attendant smoking prior to take off, since I was seated at the back of the plane. I was very disappointed with Syrianair.

SYRIANAIR review : 3 July 2008 : by L Fahid

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

DAM-ALP-DAM. Booked with a travel agent in Damascus. Outbound was total confusion as they kept thinking I was going to Athens (plane goes onward there). It wasn't a big deal as the airport was essentially empty and was resolved. Onboard I think this is the oldest plane I've ever flown on. There were no overhead bins, just elastic netting like you'd find on a train or bus. I think it was a DC-4. The flight was under an hour and went fast. The return was cosmic. The plane never showed and there was no one around. Aleppo airport is rather small and it seemed like everyone must have known the plane wasn't coming except me. I never got a refund, explanation or anything. I wound up taking a bus back to Damascus.

SYRIANAIR review : 19 June 2008 : by Louis Esteves

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

DAM-ALP-DAM. Tried to book the internal flight online on the website only to be told to contact my travel agent or a Syrianair office. No point having a website if you can't book anything on it. Eventually bought the ticket in DAM at the Syrianair desk. Staff very unhelpful and knowledge of the english language very bad. Prepare to pay in cash as the airline does not accept payment by credit cards. No ticket was issued but I was given a piece of paper with flight details and dates and told to go to the check-in counter. Check-in staff not very attentive and no information as where to go after check-in as there is no domestic terminal to depart or arrive from. Flight was going on to Frankfurt with passengers getting off in ALP. Passport taken off me at the gate and only given back to me at immigration in ALP. This is to identify who is getting off in ALP. The flight itself was ok, a piece of cake and a soft drink was offered, however, the crews cabin safety procedures were not good, passengers on mobile phones, tray tables down and seatbelts not fastened, no checks were carried out prior to take off. In ALP on the return, ground staff better customer service and better english. Was told that my return flight was not booked and had to buy a new ticket. Return flight was pretty much the same but with off duty crew being very loud. Customer Service and onboard safety not their number one priority. Avoided flying on the old Russian Tupolev aircraft by opting going on flights with A320 aircraft. Internal flights in Syria are very cheap, 34 return from DAM-ALP but they need to improve their customer service and update their website in order to be able to book flights.

Syrianair - by E Coulson

5 October 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 1 Star Rating

RB411 1 Oct 2007- this was merged with a flight to Amsterdam so that instead of a 4/5 hour flight from Damascus to London this was an 8 hour hike. Check in staff denied this was happening. Cabin staff were surly and unhelpful and we were only told of the change once we had taken off. There was no explanation offered and no apology. No information was forthcoming about the new expected arrival time in London. One cabin crew in the end said it was due to a breakdown on another plane but it seems odd there were exactly the right number of passengers. The aircraft was tatty - springs sticking up in the seat and flies buzzing about. At least one person had smoked in the toilet and not all food trays were collected before landing. Passengers walked around when seat belt signs were on. The worst issue is the lack of information and surliness of the crew - certainly no concept of customer service.

Syrianair - by Rob Butler

7 August 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

London - Damascus in Business/First. Rather a traumatic experience! The aircraft was an ancient 747; with business class (they call it First) upstairs. First shock - nowhere to store your hand luggage. So the bags just sit on the floor around you - able to hurtle towards passengers as soon as there is any turbulence. Late take off with absolutely no explanation - apparently this is a frequent occurrence. The meal service was OK but not very sophisticated. Food laid out on one large trolley and served by reasonably friendly staff. Mix of western and Arab dishes. Poached salmon, which was fine. No desserts but plenty of fresh fruit. Seats were well past their sell-by dates. Reasonable recline, but nothing like a flat bed. No IFE. And I mean none - not even a big screen movie. No reading material either. So if you have to go to Damascus and want some cheap leg room, it's fine, but don't expect any bells and whistles.

Syrianair - by William Foran

24 April 2007   Customer Trip Rating : n/a

Allepo to Damascus return. Apart from slightly erratic departure times, I could find no major fault with this inexpensive service. They give you a snack and tea, and the staff are very helpful. A good way to get around.

Syrianair by Kris Janssen

24 March 2007

Brussels - Damascus - Brussels. A positive experience. Planes left a little bit late but arrived on time because they make some stops in Beirut and/or Aleppo where they can catch in the lost time of leaving with a small delay. Planes clean, crew friendly. Food was adequate. And prices are very competitive.

Syrianair by Robert Rovere

27 October 2006

Syrianair is cheap, safe, relatively efficient, the staff is often courteous and - typically Syrian - kind and hospitable. Staff very nice with kids - a rare commodity. Food isn't gourmet, planes often old, seating or queues sometimes random and the flights sometimes not on time. They should certainly improve, but are a good airline in that region. And they have even started the Frequent Flyer now!

Syrianair by Moustafa Khalil

9 May 2006

A quick one day domestic return flight from Damascus to Aleppo and back. Both flights on A320 were on time. The first aircraft was nice, but the other had a rundown cabin that really required maintenance. No assigned seating on the return flight. Drinks and cakes were distributed, fair enough for such short flights. Check-in and ground service improving compared to the extreme chaos I saw when I flew with them in 2003.

Syrianair by Constantin Schreiber

20 April 2006

Damascus to Tunis on a plane dating back to 1965. It was quite a 'retro- experience' with oversized seats in orange and brown hippie-style. Crew could only speak Arabic. Fine with me, but a woman from Britain could not get what she wanted. Security advice short and only in Arabic. Plane in a very poor condition, extremely noisy, thought, the first mountain is ours. Never had a flight experience like this but would not consider this a proper or  professional airline performance. They might be better on the non-arab-country-flights?

Syrianair by Abubakr Buera

17 November 2005

I was transiting through Damascus Airport. I had to stay for about 8 hours at that airport before going out to my final destination on Syrian Airlines. I had a business class ticket, so I approached the business class lounge to have some rest there until my departure. Astonishingly, the employee supervising the lounge told me that I can use that lounge only two hours before the flight time! When I inquired why, his answer was that these were the instructions of his Director General! From that time on, I decided never to go on board Syrianair again.

Syrianair by Karim Sursock

9 July 2004

I flew Syrianair last February 2004, from Damascus to Aleppo. It was the worst experience I ever had. The flight was 8 hours delayed, staff ground didn't know why the flight was late, (it was Hajj), I bought the ticket in Brazil thinking that I could go to Aleppo in the morning and return to Damascus at night. How stupid I was !!!. Boarding a Syrian plane is everything but easy. They retain your passport for a domestic flight. I recommend everyone to never board a Syrianair flight.

Syrianair by Ziad Yafi

7 July 2004

I flew Syrianair to Vienna as a part of my flight to Montreal with Austrian Airlines. I had a very good experience during the 3 and a half hour flight. The leg room on this airbus plane was much better than that on any other airlines I flew before. The food was good and the staff were courteous. The landing was very smooth. I hope Syrianair would consider flying to Canada, so flying home would be more convenient for Syrians living in North America.

Syrianair by D Anand

12 February 2004

I recently flew Mumbai-Damascus and return by Syrian Air. This is the only direct flight between India and Syria and very economical. The aircraft 747 SP is okay but without TV/Music and even no magazines. I had a nice sleep onboard. The staffis good. The Damascus airport has only two X-rays working so come well in time during rush hour.I will recommend for travel in middle east.

Syrianair by Ashley Davies

28 January 2004

Have also flown on the Delhi-London services, indeed the story I always tell people involved people getting up and walking around during take off and landing! Good to hear that the 747-SP's are being retired, as they scared me - all the shaking etc on take-off!

Syrianair by Paul Ross

20 September 2003

I flew Syrianair London to Delhi. It was the cheapest available ticket. It involved a change at Damascus, and a stopover. Overall I was fairly impressed. The cabin crew were the friendliest I've flown with - nothing seemed to much trouble and smiles everywhere. For an Islamic operator it had a relaxed attitude to alcohol, and whisky was served from the inflight bar. The food was okay, consisting of curry and rice with meat type dishes. Puddings were good. We seemed to be served food quite often and large portions. Inflight entertainment is non existent. There's nothing, maybe a newspaper when you are boarding if you are lucky. Plane was comfortable, seats reclined nicely and were in good condition. Cabin staff didn't seem to mind people standing up and closing luggage containers as the plane took off (and I do mean the point in time as the airplane careered down the runway just as it left the ground). Similarly people would get up when landing even though we were still doing 200mph down the runway.  If it had decent entertainment it would be a competitor for BA and Virgin.

Syrianair by Hadi Madwar

22 August 2003

When we were returning home from our vacation in Greece, we had to go Athens - Larnaca, Larnaca - Damascus. When we stopped at Larnaca it turned out that we would fly a Syrianair aircraft instead of Cyprus Airways. We were told that this was part of the seat exchange program. On the flight, we were served orange juice and tiny sandwiches. There was a choice of either a cheese, salmon, and chicken sandwich. The flight was very short, the landing at Damascus was smooth.

Syrianair by Behramjee Ghadially

4 May 2003

Syrian Air is gradually improving its image worldwide as its retiring all its old B 747SPs and B 727s with Airbus A 330-200s and A 320-200s. These new aircrafts will have tvs in every seat and business class seating will be way better. I believe that they already have many A 320s operating and the A 330s are arriving this year. After the A 330s arrive, it should be a good airline to fly. All that is more needed is improving the quality and facilities of Damascus Airport!

Syrianair by Hadi Madwar

22 April 2003

Syrianair is an improving airline. The B727s are trying to fall apart, however, the 747s and Airbus A320s are good and offer good service. The cabin crew is dignified and the food is okay. The safety cards on these flights are always ripped.

PAGE:   1 | 2 |