Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by A Laamanen    (Canada)

On a scheduled return flight from our vacation Sunwing's representatives never contacted us at the hotel to inform us that our flight was delayed. Their online site stated that the flight was on-time. When we arrived at the airport we waited for 3 hours to be told that they would not let us check in and no one was there. It wasn't until 17 hours later that our flight arrived. Horrible communication! No communication! Other passengers were informed to some degree but 30 of us were not. Would never fly Sunwing again or recommend airline to anyone.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by W Kaplinowski    (Canada)

I flew from Vancouver (Canada) to Cuba and back. Generally, Sunwings provides very poor service: the unfriendly cabin crew and airport check-in staff were inefficient and seemed to hate their jobs. The planes were very dirty. Sunwings is the airline to be avoided.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Rouleau Annick    (Canada)

Premium

The customer service is terrible both from the company and once onboard. The flight was on time but once ready for take off, they had to go back. The staff had fake smiles and the service was terrible. I was with my 73 year old mother and asked for water, the staff told me to wait and that that they would be serving lunch and she would get water then. The food was awful. Everything about this flight is cheap, even the earphones they give you don't work. We flew with Air Canada Rouge on the way back, 100 times better.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by N Shyshkin    (Canada)

YYZ-VRA-YYZ on a Boeing 737-800. Both flights were excellent with good over-head movie options. The airline provided sandwiches which were pretty good and had pleasant staff. Seats were a little small but bearable. Transportation to and from the resort offered by Sunwing Vacations was very appealing and took care of us very well.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by C Pike    (Canada)

We flew from Halifax to St Petersburg Florida return, this year. I was extremely nervous to fly this airline when I read some of the reviews but I have to say our experience was fine. The staff were friendly (for the most part). The bistro meals were a little disappointing. We were about 1/2 hour late going south and about 1 hr late heading home. No big deal. We were over weight and had to pay an extra $30 for the 3 kgs we were over. My only complaint is that for flights to somewhere other than an all inclusive, the weight should be increased. Overall, the experience with Sunwing was positive.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by C Makkinga    (Canada)

Christmas Day 2013,…flying to Cancun with my fiancé. Scheduled to arrive at 4.30pm, Dec 25th in Cancun.Actual arrival time: 3.30am, Dec 26th. Dec 25th, 7.45 am: Arrive at airport to find flight delayed from 10 am to 4.30 pm. Offered $15 food voucher for airport or a cab ride home - no explanation of why there was a delay. We got a hotel room at the airport. At 12.00 pm, the departure time changed again to 6.30 pm. At 2.00 pm, the departure time changed again to 8.50 pm, arriving in Cancun at 3.30 am, Dec 26th. Throughout the day, we tried calling Sunwing and received a busy signal every time. At 6.45 we left the hotel and made the 5 min walk to the check in desks to find no one at the desks, and nothing showing on the screens. At 7.30, a Sunwing agent arrives at the desk. We asked why the flight was delayed and why there was no one there to check us in and she wouldn't answer. Once checked in, we head to the gate and it is announced on the overhead speaker that Sunwing will be offering a $75 travel voucher per person for the delay. This is so distasteful considering we paid $442 per day per person for the vacation. Once onboard, the pilot came out to make the announcement that they did not have a flight crew. He offered our first drink on him and first wine is always free anyway. We waited just over 2 hours for the first drink/snack cart to come around so thankfully we had brought our own drinks and snacks. That was the only time they came around. Arrived at Cancun airport at 3.30 am and as expected there was only one customs agent working. Our flight home luckily wasn't quite as bad. We only had to change gates because the wrong one was listed on our ticket, wait in the hot hallway for 20 minutes after going through the gate because the planing process was so inefficient and took off 35 minutes late. We should have known not to fly with them again but we thought it a normal delay, not a regular occurrence.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Jody Charbonneau    (Canada)

Took Sunwing to Cuba, March 21 and returned March 28. Was a little worried because of all the bad reviews I read before hand but I was pleasantly surprised. Flight was on time, had good food and champagne on the way there, took the VIP on the way back which was worth the 25 extra dollars, got to sit in an air conditioning room with free drinks and food. All in all had a good experience and I will fly with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Northey Justine    (Canada)

Premium

My fiancé and I were booked to fly to Cayo Santa Maria (CUBA) February 6-13, 2014. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6.10am. Upon arriving at the airport at 4.30am, we quickly noticed that the line up was very long. When we finally got to the check-in desk, they asked us where we were headed, we replied Cayo Santa Maria. We advised her that we had checked in online already and we just needed to print our boarding passes. She took our baggage and weighed it. Right before she was about to send it off, a rude manager from the back came and just yelled out "gates to Santa Clara are closed". We were so shocked because it was only 4.55am at that time. We told them the plane would just be sitting there, we could still make it. The rep simply told us "please step aside, we need to assist other passengers". We found out there were 6 other passengers with us that was left behind. They told us to go to all the other airlines and check if they have open seats and that we are liable for it. Long story short, we had to purchase another package for the next morning with same flight time. We knew they were lying to us because we did not board the plane until 5.58am. Please do yourself a favour and pay that extra bucks to avoid any hassle with these unprofessional company.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Josh Berger    (Canada)

Premium

Winnipeg-Cancun/Cancun-Winnipeg. Flight was excellent, the food was good and fresh! Both flights were exactly on time! The crew were decent and good enough! The movies they showed were both pretty good and the seats were excellent! Will fly Sunwing again!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by A Schreiner    (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Los Cabos on March 24. Flight was good, cabin crew was excellent and no complaints.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by V Lewis    (Canada)

After a complete disaster of a trip with Sunwing in January, I have finally heard back from them regarding my complaint and the best they could do is recite a few paragraphs from the terms and conditions. Our flight was re- routed to Cuba plus we were 5 hours late in leaving to begin with. We didn't get to Cancun until after midnight! On the way home they did it again as we went through Cuba and didn't arrive home until after midnight. So that was 2 days of our 7 day vacation gone! And all they said was sorry but that's what you signed up for.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by J Preeper    (Canada)

Premium

I was wondering why Sunwing would put small children in elite class to fill seats that were not paid for. I paid for my son and myself but when I find out 3 kids along with their parents were upgraded to fill the seats. Maybe adults would be better to fill the seats to keep people paying for the service. I have never seen so many people up moving around elite class to use the washroom at the front of the plane. Flight crew were great, maybe a little more consideration for the paying elite both ways.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Frank Cameron    (Canada)

My wife and I travelled to the Dominican Republic in February. The flight was an hour late (weather) but it was uneventful. The food was good and the crew were helpful. However, there's no legroom. I thought Air Transat and Canjet were bad for legroom (Canjet is the worst) but you seem to think that people over five feet tall can get by with the same leg room as shorter people. The 737 is a wonderful aircraft but when you stuff it full of people one can only conclude that corporate greed trumps creature comfort. I'll be sticking with West Jet and Air Canada and I can hardly wait for Porter to get their jets so we can be comfortable on our flights to the Dominican Republic or Cuba or anywhere else for that matter. I understand you charge a premium for extra leg room.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by L Beaulne    (Canada)

I'm a horrible flyer, the slightest turbulence puts me in a panic so I often rely on the comforting faces of the cabin crew. We flew from North-bay via Ottawa to Cuba. To my surprise we were offered Champagne, then a meal with beverages, and ice-cream. What I really appreciated about this flight was the pilot constantly updated passengers eg: 'Clear skies up ahead, if you look to your left you can see Florida Keys etc'. We had no delays.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by R Smith    (Canada)

March 12 - 19th 2014, flights 587 going and 588 returning. We flew from Edmonton to Cancun and return. We experienced some turbulence going and the pilot did all he could to make sure we had a pleasurable flight. The flight home was excellent and half an hour early! The cabin crew were very pleasant and always busy. Our flights were on time. All in all, it was a positive experience.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by Neil Byers    (Canada)

My wife and I have gone on trips on Sunwing before but never again. We were on flight 338 in January this year. They messed up our reservations from first class to economy class, we landed at another airport, sat on the runway for 2hrs, were then put in the airport for 9hrs but did not go through customs (so we could not leave the airport) then taken to a resort (not ours) for 3hrs then back to the airport to wait another 5hrs. We lost 24hrs.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by A Belle    (Canada)

Premium

We returned yesterday from Toronto to Panama. I was worried reading some reviews, but the service and overall experience was excellent! First rate movies (free headphones), champagne, food was good, snacks, smooth flight experience. The staff were humorous and helpful, the plane was beautiful (albeit we could tell it was "new") and everything was on time.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Marsha Reid    (Canada)

We flew from Sault Ste Marie to Varadero Cuba, with one stop in Hamilton to load passengers on March 5th. All went very well. Only a short delay on our return March 12th due to nasty weather in Hamilton. This was our first time flying Sunwing and will not be our last.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by G Grant    (Canada)

Very disappointed with my flight with Sunwing. Left Cayo Coca (CCC) on March 27, flight 601. I paid the extra $$$ for elite and was seated first row a,b,c. No extra leg room and no extra wide seating as is stated for elite booking. Will never fly Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by L Letain    (Canada)

Premium

March 6, 2014 and March 13, 2014. Winnipeg to Los Cabos Mexico, return flight good, cabin staff friendly and helpful although pilot a little hard to understand (WG494) and half an hour early. The flight to Cabo was different, the cabin crew was almost lazy and personal conversations seemed to be a priority (WG493). We arrived early but after a rough flight due to turbulence. Elite plus is a joke, sitting in row one but my carry on is in row four, luggage out first in Cabo but in Winnipeg different story. Wake up Sunwing and address some of these simple issues!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Bourgeois Lisa    (Canada)

March 5th 2014 from Ottawa Canada to Cuba, WG 630. They announced that the flight was going to be delayed 1 hour, no explanation why. They started boarding and we took off only 1/2 hour late. There were 6 of us, 2 were seated together and remaining 4 were put in aisle seats side by side. On the way back from Cuba on March 12th 2014, WG 631 we were slow going through immigration, no fault of Sunwing. Finally arrived to our plane at 10.35am, the doors immediately closed and the plane took off 5 minutes later, 20 minutes earlier than expected. The 6 of us were pretty much split up by 2 each, seating my 12 old daughter by herself behind us. Overall the staff were great, very friendly and approachable. The food served was pretty good, considering most airlines don't offer meal service for free. It was comparable to meals we've had to purchase on other airlines.