Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2013 by J Copeland    (Canada)

Departed Toronto for Punta Cana, July 19. Flight an hour late departing. Inflight service and food were ok, certainly better than flying AC. Resort was pleasant. Transport to airport scheduled to arrive at 7.30am for an 11.30am departure, July 29th. Transport had not shown up by 8am. Told flight was delayed until 9.30pm, airport shuttle to pick us at at 5.30pm. Of course our connection to Vancouver was lost. At 5 pm, told flight delayed another 2 hours, shuttle to pick us up at 7.30pm. At the airport, had to stand around waiting for Westjet staff to get their act together. Checked in, sat around a mostly shut down airport. Plane departed Punta Cana at 40 minutes past Midnight. Captain came on the intercom with a story about a bird strike in Nassau. Cabin crew started regular service as if everything was normal by pushing round the duty free cart to sell us stuff. No offer of free drinks or extra meals, nothing. Will never fly with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2013 by Maureen Adams    (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Los Cabos, June 2013. We had upgraded to the 'larger seats' when we booked our all inclusive holiday. My husband needed the extra room after having had a knee replacement 3 months prior to the flight. We were assured the aisle seats we asked for were booked. When we got onto the flight the seats were not aisle side by side rather the bulkhead seats with a 'wall' in front so we were not able to extend our legs at all. When we asked the flight staff they told us they could not move us as all seats were taken. Outcome was my husband stood for most of the 5.5 hours it took to get to Cabo. When we got to Los Cabos airport ground staff said they had not request from Sunwing and that they could not give us different seats. Again we were on the same bulkhead seats and were unable to change seats. We will not fly Sunwing again!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Andrew Morris    (Canada)

July 31 - August 7 (Toronto - Cancun). Overall, I found that the flight heading down and coming back were both very good. On both flights, the plane either left on time or early and arrived at the scheduled destination on time. The staff were very friendly and knew how to do their jobs very well. The food was ok, not great, but it did hold me over for the 3.5 hour flight. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how professional and smooth the whole travel experience was for me and my family.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Ian Trotter    (Canada)

Total 12hrs delay. July 29-Aug 2 2013. Outbound flight delayed 10hrs. Vague reason of "managerial decision regarding technical difficulty". Flight crew very rude with plenty of warning from pilot that "not our fault, we only work here, no tolerance etc". Not woken up for food, drinks or snacks. Insulted with $75 voucher for future use. Return flight 2hr delay, no apologies, no explanation. First experience with Sunwing - not a good one.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 July 2013 by Michelle Zaina    (Canada)

Just returned from a trip to Cuba, July 19th to 24th. A short vacation with a supposedly short flight. We were delayed out of Pearson, originally 1 hr 20 mins and then due to bad weather another 4 plus hours. On the way home our flight was delayed over 3 hours and then had mechanical difficulties and was further delayed. This is not the first negative experience with Sunwing.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 July 2013 by K Peters    (Canada)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada to Mexico, just a little over a month ago. Trip down was average, flight was on-time leaving and we even landed a little early. Flight attendants were alright on the way down, but on the way back was a different story. Flight was 4 hours late getting to the airport, but even before that the complementary service that took us from our resort to the airport got us there another 4 hours early. Spent 8 hours in the airport waiting for the flight. Once we finally were boarded, we took off promptly, I understood that everyone was tired but it is the flight attendants job to still be courteous and friendly, which was not the case. The food was what we expected it to be on a plane, and the "champagne flight" was actually a 1/4 cup of champagne in a little plastic glass, that was only served on the way to our vacation not on the way home. Overall the trip was excellent, one we got to our resort, but the trip to and from there was horrible and I would defiantly not recommend flying with them nor would I ever fly with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2013 by D van Stolk    (Canada)

Vancouver - Puerto Vallarta, July 12 return July 19. No delays. First flight out. Plane was not cleaned properly, candy wrappers on floor, dirty tray top, dried liquid stains under seats, crumbs on seats. Vancouver cleaning crew at fault? Could not check in on line 4 hours before - flight did not exist. Could not do self check at airport or the same reason. 4 am check in, staff arrived 15 minutes late. Have never paid to book a seat before and was pleased with assigned seats.. Very little leg room. My big safety concern was no one sitting in an emergency exit row (no one willing to pay the $40). I would feel safer if they moved young, able bodied people into these seats. A young fellow asked to sit in one seat and was told he would have to pay. Safety issue. First time flying this airline and I would use Sunwing again for the little extras they provide.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  5 July 2013 by Ian Rumley    (Canada)

We flew Vancouver/Calgary to Varadero and return in late June 2013. Aside from a one hour delay leaving Vancouver the trip went well. The flight back even arrived 45 minutes early in both Calgary and Vancouver. The airplane going to Cuba had definitely seen cleaner days, but the one coming back was fine. The meals they served were quite good. Inflight movies were OK. I travel a lot on business and I have to say that tight seats and so on are the norm, and maybe some of the complaints about these kind of things are from people who's expectations are higher than their budgets. If you are more than 5'6", pay for the extra leg room! If you want to sit together - pay for the seat selection! With a smaller charter airline, they don't have as many options when something slips, as one of the bigger carriers - make sure your schedule has some wiggle room in case of problems.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2013 by Azim Wahid    (Canada)

Vancouver to Toronto and back. Was an excellent experience, right through from check in to landing. Very professional crews and caring. I was travelling with a 17mth old, who is teething so was in discomfort. The crew were always checking up on us as well as they tried to accommodate us to a better seat so our son would be comfortable.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  22 June 2013 by H Mill    (Canada)

Our 5.5 hour flight turned into 10.5 after having to stop for fuel twice before reaching our destination. They blamed the first stop on strong headwinds and the second one on thunderstorms, despite the sky being clear above the airport where we were supposed to land. The whole plane was starving by that time, as they had only served a very light breakfast. On the return trip as soon as we were seated they announced that we would be delayed again by having to stop for fuel, due to strong headwinds. After reading the other reviews about this airline, I believe that they advertise flights as non-stop to get the seats booked, knowing full well that they will have to stop for fuel. As if this wasn't bad enough, the plane was absolutely filthy, with gum and food all over the seats, and it was clear that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned for some time. Avoid this airline at all costs.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2013 by S Drakes    (Canada)

My husband, one-year-old daughter and I flew Sunwing the week of May 25, 2013 to a friend's wedding in Jamaica. We had an extra bag that we were quite willing to pay for - but I didn't need the long, drawn-out lecture from the check-in agent about it. Paid $120 return for our extra piece. Check-in agent said she was going to put a note in our account that we had paid for the extra piece. Once we got to Montego Bay, Sunwing's transportation to our hotel was disorganized and haphazard. When we arrived at the airport on our return and went to check in there was no note on the account saying that we paid for the extra piece of luggage. I was not impressed in the least. Thankfully, the counter staff at the Montego Bay airport were excellent and competent. They agreed to take us at our word and not charge us again. My husband finally found the receipt we received from Sunwing showing that we paid for our extra luggage. Instead of lecturing me about my luggage, maybe the Toronto check-in agent should have ensured that she put the information into our account. The flight attendants were good. The plane was cramped. The washrooms weren't as big as a closet. Those things I can understand from a budget airline, but make sure your staff are competent.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2013 by J Chaplin    (Canada)

Flew out of Montreal to Puerto Plata via St Maarten, round trip April 21 to 28, seats were tight but comfortable, the food was good, the flights were on time. My only complaint is that the 3 landings were the roughest I have ever experienced in many years of flying.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  31 May 2013 by M Des    (Canada)

Premium

I was on my way to Cuba (Santa Clara) for a vacation, departed on May 21st from Toronto at 6.20am. Boarded and left early, 2 hours into our 3 hour flight the captain came on the PA and less than an hour from our destination we turned around and went back to where we started. Flight crew were sympathetic, but Sunwing didn't offer anything other than an apology. Nothing for being 7 hours late to a destination. I had a tall person in the seat behind me who had no choice but to put her knees into my seat back. On the return it was worse. The airport at Santa Clara is a free for all. Of course it was a full flight and there were no seats left for us to sit together. Upon informing us of this, offered an "upgrade" for $25 per person. Upon saying no he then offered us $20 pp. I have never heard of an airline offering a bargaining system like this. Upgraded seats known as "Elite Plus" are the same uncomfortable seats as the rest of the plane, however you now have the legroom of any other standard plane in North America. Flight crew were rude. Forget about a blanket as "Sunwing does not stock us with blankets". In the future I will change my travel plans or even pay a little extra to avoid this airline at all cost.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2013 by Bruce Campbell Sr    (Canada)

Flew out of Edmonton. Flight delayed for hours. I should have checked here first! The flight attendant was sympathetic. Flight was ok. Food was horrible. Flight back was delayed again, no reason. Had to pay for extras at airport. Would not recommend. With all the delays and problems it is a joke airline.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2013 by Candice Schultz    (Canada)

Premium

Flown with Sunwing 3 times, have always had good experiences. Flights always been on time, good flights, informative pilots who let you know of weather updates/inform of upcoming turbulence, flight attendant's have always been kind and willing to help! We just flew with them again May 8th-15th from Toronto to Cayo Coco and had another good experience. Our flight attendant was sweet, and we had some good laughs with her! We upgraded to Elite this time and well worth it, and will definitely fly Elite from now on, not so much for the extra baggage but the leg room is well worth it! Always happy with their service, and will continue to fly with them. Not saying complaints aren't valid, but until I have a bad experience will continue to fly with them.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2013 by Terry O'Donnell    (Canada)

Premium

On May 22 we travelled from Edmonton to Cancun. Our party included 4 adults and 1 baby. We left at 8am but before we left we fed the baby at a restaurant. We had snacks with us for her. About 1pm she became extremely hungry and we could not settle her. I asked if there was something I could buy because our baby was hungry. Told me no and that I should have packed something. She wouldn't even give us the breakfast they served because it was old, so bringing something on board with us would not have been great either. I asked another who gave us a fruit cup, but that didn't last long. Eventually given cheese and crackers which settled our baby. 5.5 hours is a long time for a child especially a baby. You cannot give a baby junk food when they are hungry.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2013 by Marlene Rivers    (Canada)

Seats are not comfortable. My friend and I were separated on our flights, we couldn't sit together there and back. Staff on the plane were not friendly and they were very rude to passengers, nothing changed there and back.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  16 May 2013 by Natasha Lorne    (Canada)

My family and I (a group of 13) travelled with Sunwing and I was extremely disappointed. First and last time with the airline. Flew from Toronto to Punta Cana. Staff in Toronto were not friendly and we all had different staff serving us. The seats were not comfortable and there was not much leg room. The food was good but that's about all I can say about this airline. When we came back from Punta Cana they wanted to charge me $40 for my carry on, which was exactly the same weight as when I flew out. I ended up having to take clothing out and they would not let me put it in my suitcase. Staff were rude. Flight delayed 1 hour with no explanation and they did not bother to tell Westjet in Toronto that there were 13 of us who needed to catch the plane to Calgary as soon as we arrived. We ended up missing our flight in Toronto to Calgary.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  15 May 2013 by P Jones    (UK)

Flight out was fine. but flight back was delayed by over 8 hours. Was issued $150 for use on next flight but now they do not operate flights from Gatwick to Toronto. Still trying to reclaim $150 ca dollars to use for next flight to Canada.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  15 May 2013 by Melisa Brygida    (Canada)

First and last time. The planes still have signs on the overhead bins in Slavic. To depart we were delayed 4.5 hours. Toilet problem. Like no one noticed that on the return flight the night before? They wait until the morning to fix it. No space for your legs or even to rest your arms. The TV screen popping out of the ceiling are the size of my cell phone. Seats were dirty and decorated with chewing gum. Staff going were not organized, coming back a bit better. If you look at the trip over all and the extras you are dishing out for seat selection, larger seats and all you may as well travel with a classier airline!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2013 by Nicholson Wayne    (Canada)

A great experience from the beginning to the end of our trip to Orlando. This airline is to be commended for its very low fares and no charge for baggage. The flight crew was courteous and the trip was very fast. The fact that this was a direct flight puts it above the other airlines where long stopovers at another airport are very common. We will indeed fly with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2013 by Sharma Dhiraj    (Canada)

Took a trip to Dreams Riviera Cancun, May 6-10 with my wife and 6 month old child. How can an airline book separate seats for husband and wife plus infant? Sunwing staff agent at Montreal Trudeau airport were more concerned for collecting 200$ from us on excess baggage charges and rushed us to our gate not informing us of the surprise we were to receive boarding the plane. We had to pay another $38 to ensure that we didn't run into another seat booking issue. Upon our day for return, Sunwings bus transport was nowhere to be seen, an hour later finally a transport van showed up. Get to the airport and again we had to pay 100$ for excess baggage. Sunwing was so disappointing! Never again will I book with such a sub par vacation airline.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2013 by Madelaine Hruschak    (Canada)

Premium

I travelled to Mexico twice in the last month with Sunwings, and I will never book my trip through that airline again! First trip the airline crew was not accommodating. First flight down was delayed 4 hours. Told we were going to receive a $50 voucher towards our next flight with Sunwing. Still waiting on that voucher. The second trip I took, the crew down were horrific! I was sitting with my infant daughter in the first row and the stewardess kept hitting me with elbows, etc and I was tucked in to my seat and so was my child without body parts hanging out. There was absolutely no control over passengers by the crew. There were a few passengers that opened their duty free bottles and were drinking them on the plane. Nothing was said or done. I had 3 young children on the plane that didn't need to be subjected to that. The planes were horrible! Tiny aisles, broken parts in the washrooms, etc.