Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by G Mack    (Canada)

My daughter flew with Sunwing return , Vancouver to Toronto. Flights were delayed in both directions so they would leave after midnight. I have been advised this is done intentionally to pay lower airport departure fees. We flew with Sunwing a number of years ago and they were doing the same thing.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by B Starkey    (Canada)

We booked a trip to Mexico from Edmonton and it started ok, delayed at the airport 2 hrs but I can live with that. On the return flight we were asked to check with are rep before heading to the airport so we wouldn't waste any time so we did and everything was good to go, so they said. We arrived at the airport 3 hrs early, then were told there was a delay. It was supposed to leave at 4.45 then 9.45 then 3.00. Finally at 3.45 we were on the runway after spending 13 hrs in a Mexican airport where everything closed at 11pm.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by A Forest    (Canada)

22nd Dec. Huge Ice storm delaying operations out of Toronto Pearson airport. Any other airline had delay information posted on the screen and vouchers for passengers to purchase food inside the terminal. Sunwing had nothing, the agents knew nothing. Flying on 513 to Cancun. We find out after 2 hours of sitting on the aircraft that we had been offloaded and our suitcase was not onboard. I inquired to the agent about my luggage, if they could load it on since we had 2 more hrs to wait they said yes and I was reassured that it had been placed back on. Passengers had been waiting for more than 4hrs with not one drinks service. I had to tell the crew to turn the lights from bright to low. Since it was a new 737-800 the CSM had no clue how to operate the system. Sandwiches shouldn't of been served after such a long delay. They were soggy, cold and the paper was stuck to them. Arrive at destination no luggage. Return flight same thing, delay 2hrs no APU, closed door stuffy cabin with a more pro- active crew that instantly did a water service. I would rather pay the 100$ more to fly any other airline. Landed in Toronto to be parked at a bridge that did not work.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by L Green    (Canada)

We booked a trip to Cancun on Sunwing. The flight down to Cancun was delayed almost an hour - nobody was informed until 30 minutes past our scheduled departure time. The inflight TVs didn't work at all, the flight attendants made every request seem like the most difficult task, and worst of all, after travelling all night, we arrived at the resort at 5am only to find that nobody had reservations at the resort until the following day. On return, it was the same delay scenario. One hour late with no mention of it, no apology, nothing. Like it never happened. Also ensure your bags are underweight or you will get charged for as little as 0.5kg over weight. They weigh every article you have, including my small inflatable pillow. I would never fly Sunwing again. In my opinion, it is worth whatever it costs to maximize the precious minutes of your already short vacation. Sunwing wasted many minutes of our trip and caused more stress than they should. They do feed you for free and the food is actually not all that bad. Otherwise, I have nothing good to say.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by C Duffy    (Canada)

attendants. As with most charter flights the seats are a little closer together but all in all the flight was comfortable. We were met by Sungwing reps to be bussed to our resort. The tour guide was informative and advised us about many things we would need to know while in Cuba.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by R Coutu    (Canada)

Booked from Ottawa to MBJ, direct, 29 Nov - 6 Dec, 06.00 depart and 11.30 Return. Well this was all changed 2 days before, changed to 09.00 with a stop in Varadero and return 14.30 with stop again in Varadero, then delayed to 15.00. I flown with them the last 2 years with no problems so I was surprised by this. We book early flights to have that extra day in the sun. Anyway terrible service both ways will not book with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by Boots Smith    (Canada)

I would not recommend flying with Sunwing. I would suggest spending the extra $100 and fly with another airline. The flight from Edmonton to Huatulco was initially direct. They changed it one week prior to detour to Winnipeg. There was a mechanical problem, another detoured to Calgary for a "quick" plane change, 2 hours later. Then the Winnipeg for a "quick" pick up, 2 hours later. We didn't even leave Canadian airspace by the time the original arrival in Mexico at 5 pm. I can appreciate there maybe mechanical issues or a change in itinerary for financial reasons, but it's how Sunwing didn't handle these situations. There was plenty of apologies but not other compensation, like upgrade in food being served, free cocktails and snack. The hotel and hotel staff were fantastic, it's the airline where the problems lie.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by D Breck    (Canada)

Premium

Sunwing has really raised the bar for airline service incompetence. Our most recent trip from Sudbury to Santa Clara, Cuba, was a testament to their inadequacy. We have flown Sunwing 8 times. I can understand weather delays, so the flight being behind schedule wasn't a major deal. Forgetting to have the proper forms to fill out to enter Cuba on board, that was a problem! The flight was already 2 hours late, but upon landing in Cuba, we had to sit for another 30 minutes while we waited for, and filled out the visas to enter the country. Food: We had a choice of a questionable sandwich, or a piece of cardboard, pawned off as pizza. They used to offer a tray meal that was far better than this recent garbage. Departure from the terminal in Santa Clara was a catastrophe waiting to happen. Instead of an orderly boarding, it was announced that the flight was ready to board. It was a free for all. The departure door was bombarded with people jostling for position. Our flight home required a trip through Customs in Ottawa, and a re-boarding on the same plane to complete the journey to Sudbury. Approximately 40 people were heading for that final destination. After passing through Customs, we were required to re-check our luggage and get new boarding passes. So, forty people boarding, and an intelligent guess would place the luggage total at about forty bags. Why then did only 20 of those bags get put back on the plane? That brings us to our arrival in Sudbury. After the connecting flight with the offer of a glass of water, we were greeted with no luggage! We were prepared to drive to our home town in the morning but the Sunwing rep assured us that our luggage would be shipped on the first flight out of Ottawa the next morning. We decided to wait for the luggage in Sudbury. Our luggage didn't arrive until 2.30pm the next day! We will avoid Sunwing in the future.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by John Marques    (Canada)

Premium

Paid extra for premium seats on my honeymoon. Flight was delayed four hours, due to mechanical problem. On my return flight from Cuba, was separated from my wife and bumped to a regular seat. When I inquired, I was told airline staff gets the premium seats. At least 8 staff members were flying to Toronto. Was offered no compensation and was told to use another airline in the future.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by R Blair    (Canada)

Nov 26th, flight 609 to Cayo Coco, Cuba. We booked and paid for a direct flight to Cuba only to be notified later that the flight had changed and we would be going to Dominican Rep first. At Ottawa airport we could not get our boarding passes from the kiosk and had to line up at which time we were told they were overbooked by 6. This was not true as they had decided to fly a crew of 6 to Cuba and simply bumped the last 6 to board sending them to Montreal to fly to Cuba. Our flight was delayed in Ottawa 1.5hrs, then 1 hour in Dominican and 2 more hours to get to Cuba. The food was horrible and wine was in a box. I purchased a bottle of Bailey's at $24 and paid $25 cash only to be told they did not have any change. Delays again on the way back and bad food. We will never fly Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by N Carberry    (Canada)

Travelled on WG608 to Cayo Coco via Punta Cana - total 7.5 hr flight along with a 1.5 hour delayed departure from Ottawa. Computer problems. Luggage was loaded in wrong order then reloaded. Plane towed from one gate to another due to delays. Champagne offered 1.5 hrs into flight. Followed by no coffee or tea for entire 7.5 hrs. Sandwich offered - no napkin - around mid day and nothing for 4 hours of flight - we were on ground in Punta Cana for around 1 hour then 2 hours, flight back north to Cayo Coco. Travelled WG609 to Ottawa from Cayo Coco. Flight delayed by 2 hours, then 3 hours - in airport departure lounge for 6 hours - junk food only available - my Elite Plus seat was booked on check in at Cayo Coco airport then as walking out gate Cuban official changed it to a regular seat. My seat had been sold to someone else. No notification prior. Complained to flight crew. Issue resolved on plane and passengers not happy, one had the nerve to challenge my right to the seat I had purchased months before over the rights of someone who had bought an upgrade that very day. Food was dreadful. Frozen pizza reheated or sandwich. Ate pizza - had complementary wine. Will never fly Sunwing again. Quality of service has changed significantly from 3 years ago.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Dianne Sirois    (Canada)

Booked a direct flight from Ottawa leaving for Cuba 9am. We left Ottawa at 11am, flew to Punta Cana and then to Cuba, a 3hr 45 min flight took over 7 hrs. Coming back were to leave Cuba at 5.10pm and arrive around 9pm. We finally left at 8.30pm and arrived home at 12am. Reason: well of course Sunwing first went to the Dominican Republic, took on passengers and then made them get off the plane in Cuba, then re-board the same plane. They then kindly let us board the plane and made us change seats 3 times because of course they had already double booked our seats. This flight was filled with tired, frustrated and very angry travellers. I travel to Cuba and the Dominican Republic several times every winter and this is my third bad experience with Sunwing and my last. I lost almost 2 days vacation and came back frustrated and angry.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Barry Campbell    (Canada)

Booked a trip to Varadero with Sunwing, first week of April 2013. Direct flight from Halifax to Varadero but my luggage was sent to Toronto, only passenger on flight to have this happen! Worked with Sunwing rep at Varadero resort to find luggage but soon found out that they were more interested in tour bookings than finding my luggage. As a result my luggage was gone for 6 days of my vacation and it had returned to the Varadero airport 4 days later. This company has no credibility and I would advise for all to avoid. Sure if you are the 90% who have no problems, as you should, this airline is great; but have problems and they will put the responsibility on you to resolve.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by R Rutherford    (Canada)

10 days before our trip departure they change both the departure time and the return time. The return non stop turned into a stopover and an additional 4hrs to the flight time. An 8.5 hr flight time for a 4.5hr flight. I would not have booked the trip with such a terrible return flight and of course I was not able to cancel and get a refund. There were no apologies or any answers to my emails. This is the second time I have used Sunwing and they have changed departures 3 times out of 4. I am not retired with lots of time to make changes. I will drive to Buffalo and use an airline from there if the carriers in Toronto can not accommodate me. I will never use Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by E Roggers    (Canada)

I use Sunwing because it is cheap to certain spots, so I'm not going to complain about seating, or extra charges to pick seats etc, they do have the best price on a lot of tours. They need to give their stewardesses some customer service lessons. On the way down Vancouver to Varadaro Nov 22-30 they were feeding us, the head stewardess was across our aisle when another stewardess pulled out a boxed pizza to give out, the head stewardess said "I thought we were out of them, I told a customer we didn't have anymore" then to our unbelief she said to the other stewardess "ahh forget it, I wont tell her". Head stewardess just glared back and moved on. On the way back, an elderly/not so fit women had a window seat, she decided to sit in the aisle seat, when the person who owned that seat showed up she didn't want to move, the steward had to make her move to her assigned window seat. The plane was only 3/4 full if that. There was an extra 10-12 sunwing cabin crew catching a flight home that were seated in 4 rows at the back of the plane, and they requested to sit up front in row 3 and 4, the remaining ones in the back never shut up, it was an overnight flight, people wanted to sleep. Would I fly Sunwing again, I would like to say not likely, most unprofessional crew, however I probably will if the price is as cheap again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by G Harrison    (Canada)

Booked package to Veradero based on direct flight. One month after paying for flight, we were notified the departure flight had moved up, forcing us all to take an extra day holiday. They also rerouted us to Montego Bay 1st. We flew over Veradero for an extra three hours sitting in a cramped plane with many children. They gave us no option to cancel or expect compensation. The day before we left, we were notified the seats we had prepaid to book were not being honoured and again, we had no compensation. We then were notified that our return flight was also being moved up so that we could once again fly to Jamaica, adding three hours to our flight. Once off the lane, it took 45 minutes to deliver our luggage in the airport and the airport says it is the airline's responsibility to make their 20 minute advertised limit. Do not fly Sunwing! They cost us two days of our holiday.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by R Moraine    (Canada)

We usually fly Sunwing to the Caribbean but after this trip we shall be looking for another airline for our holidays. The flight crews were good, my main complaint is with the airline flight operations and reservations. We were told after we had booked our flight down to Cuba (Nov 22 from YOW) that it will be a would be a combined flight (MBJ and VRA) and that on the return trip to Canada the plane would be stopping in MBJ before picking us up at VRA. A couple of days before the flight the return leg was changed and that it would be VRA THEN MBJ giving us 2 seven hour flights. When the flights were combined we called the airline and got nothing but the usual run around and hiding behind their rules, even when it was supposedly escalated 4 levels. But the topper was that on the return flight the MBJ passengers had to deplane and become transit passengers and VRA doesn't have a transit lounge. The MBJ were left to their own devices in the terminal causing the MBJ leg of the trip to be delayed by 30 minutes. On the flight down to MBJ from YOW we were delayed at the gate for paperwork which seemed to be a running thing with this particular captain. At MBJ they had to off load some of the VRA luggage to move it to another cargo hold. The captain said it was for weight and balance but a B737 isn't a Cessna 174. Lastly this is one of the TUI Travel PLC's Euro fleet and the in flight entertainment system didn't work properly. ON the YOW to MBJ portion, a large number of the screens didn't drop down until the flight attendant crew trainer from the Euro division rebooted the entire system but then we were on the MBJ to VRA leg. Same thing again on the return to Canada.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by E Jackson    (USA)

August 16 2013. Supposed to travel to Punta Cana that day from Cincinnati. We were told there was a slight delay and we would depart an hour later. That hour turned into a 20 hour delay, reason being said because someone on the returning flight got very sick and the solution (IV bag) was used on that person and they could not fly us back out until the solution was replaced. They had no other plane to put us on and we would fly out the next morning. Yes they gave us a voucher to use at the airport but by that time everyone had already eaten and also the airport stores were closed. They gave us free hotel rooms near the airport and a shuttle service. Needless to say we arrived in Punta Cana a day later and they did reimburse us for a small amount of the daily room charge.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by Praimnath Sankar    (Canada)

Premium

On return flight from Toronto to Vancouver both legs were 3 hours late due to 'the aircraft from the Caribbean flight being late'. Myself and other passengers inquired about the 'Champagne flight' as advertised but was told by the attendant that it only on the international flights that champagne is served. Well, many of us were mistaken about that. I will not travel Sunwing again and I told them so, but I don't think they care enough to respond.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by V Bellaart    (Canada)

We just came back from a 7 day (Nov 13-20 2013), All Inclusive Trip to Cancun through Sunwing Vacations. Our flight out of Calgary was delayed 3 hours, we had been told it was because the captain had called in ill and Sunwing had to fly a new pilot in from Vancouver. The agents at the check in apologized and offered a $5/person voucher - enough to buy a coffee! On our flight back home, same issue, the flight back was delayed almost 2 hours because again the crew was late. This time we had to ask the Sunwing agents for a voucher but they said sorry, this is Mexico, we do not offer vouchers. On top of everything else, the seats were most uncomfortable, mine didn't even recline back and there was no way to change seats because the plane was full. There was hardly any room between seats and most folks end up knocking their knees against the seat in front of them. Sunwing weigh your carry-on bag at check in. If you would like to take advantage of their pre-flight seat assignment (Online) then be prepared to pay $15/person per flight - an additional $60 for the vacation. When checking in at Calgary airport, we were the very first people in line at the counter, their agent assigned us seats in the row behind our friends. Once we got to the gate, an agent paged us to the counter and informed us that our seats had been sold (I assume online) and should not have been assigned to us. I asked how could this happen as “their system” must have created the error. He didn't have an answer, apologized and sent us into the bowels of the airplane. We will not fly with Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Anna Wroblewska    (Canada)

We flew from Toronto to Montego Bay. Even though our flight was booked only 2 weeks in advance, we had three flight changes before departure. First our flight to MoBay was re-routed through Montreal extending our trip to over 7 hours and effectively taking away a vacation day. Second, we were supposed to fly back at 9.40pm but our return flight was moved to earlier in the day. Third change came moving our flight to 11.20am with a different flight number, effectively cutting another day of our vacation. The trip we originally booked was more expensive but we were supposed to get almost a day and a half more. When I asked for their supposed "price match guarrantee" I was told that the trip I have after the changes is not being sold, so I'm not entitled to the "price match". But that trip was not what I booked in a first place.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by Trevor Parry    (Canada)

Travelled from Toronto to Montego Bay return. We were pleased that our flight departed on-time in both directions, but that was the only good part of this airline experience. The plane was very old, cramped and filthy. The seats couldn't have been more narrow and there was no leg room at all. If the person in front reclined their seat it was about 10 inches from your face. Don't get fooled by the $40 upgrade option. We paid this to get more leg room to sit in an exit row, but our seats didn't recline. This airline boasts that they provide champagne service and food at no extra charge. However the champagne was served in a pill-cup, and the microwaved food was barely edible. I hope we never have to travel on this airline again.