Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by D Moore    (Canada)

Bought a vacation package with direct flights from Edmonton to Los Cabos, Mexico. Flight down was fine however flight back was a nightmare. When we arrived at the airport the flight was delayed and the Premium Package we paid for was really nothing different then Economy service. They nailed us on luggage overcharge and even carryon bag with total charge of $ 280. They said it had to be paid in cash stating their debit/credit card machine was down, I said I wanted to upgrade to Elite Package as I was only slightly over in the luggage weight and they said they needed 24 hour notice of the upgrade. Since I couldn't pay using a credit card and there wasn't a debit machine around they told me and my wife to give them all my available cash, which was $200 and they put through our luggage. Once we boarded the plane, which was late, one female flight attendant was rude and unprofessional. We wanted to purchase items from the inflight duty free catalogue however they did not have the items they were advertising. The plane was dirty from the previous flight and the leather seats had old food stuck to the seats. My wife and I will never fly with Sunwing Airlines again as it was the worst flight experience for us and we travel extensively.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by M Poliquin    (Canada)

Bought a vacation package with direct flights from Ottawa to Cancun. Flight was leaving Ottawa at 6am to arrive at Cancun at 9.30am and leaving Cancun at 8pm to arrive in Ottawa at 1am. Both flights were changed several times to end up as a totally different package. Outbound flight ended up leaving Ottawa at 9am with a stop in Kitchener to arrive in Cancun at 2pm. The return flight ended up leaving Cancun at 3pm with a stop in Kitchener to arrive in Ottawa at 9.30pm. As for delays, the outbound flight was delayed 3 hours for no apparent reason and we arrived in Cancun at 5pm (instead of 2pm). Return flight was delayed 29 hours to arrive in Ottawa at 3.30am, 2 days later than expected. The various Sunwing reps. were unable to keep us informed as they did not know what was going on, we were informing them by checking airport departures changes every hour or so! People from Kitchener indicated that Sunwing adds a stop to Kitchener every year after enough seats are sold from Ottawa. For the outbound flight # 579 on Dec 23, the 4 crew members were extremely rude with everybody, food was literally thrown on peoples table without any drinks or towels. For the return flight # 580 on Jan. 7 (but scheduled on Jan. 6), the 4 crew members were very friendly. These Sunwing flights did not serve meals: they gave a cold sandwich and thats it with 1 drink about 1 hour before you get your sandwich. Avoid Rows 14 and 15 (Elite +) as these seats do not recline because of the emergency exits.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by M Shears    (USA)

I flew Sunwing as part of a VacationExpress.com deal from Cincinnati to Punta Cana in October of 2013 and had a wonderful flight. The plane was clean and roomy. They served us snacks, a full meal, drinks, and champagne. We got bumped up to "first class" on the way there which was nice. We got 1 free bag and carry on per person which was nice. We didn't get charged any extra fees and check in was fast and easy. Our flight attendants were very nice and helpful, and we watched a movie that was still playing in theatres! I recommend getting a seat close to the front of the plane, and don't pay extra for "first class". We got bumped up to "first class" which was no different than coach other than the extra leg room, it is not separated and you don't get any additional perks.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Brothen Terry    (Canada)

Premium

Definitely the last time travelling with Sunwing. Initially booked trip had us leaving on Dec 28 at 1945 hrs. Woke up that day to several notifications that flight had changed to 2300/2100/2200 and finally 2300. The kicker was receiving the text at noon that our flight was on schedule at 2300 hrs. Arrived at airport to be told, weather was the reason for delay. Flight changed from 2300 to 2345. Finally left at 0110 hrs. Flight staff cheerfully turned lights on and made constant announcements while everyone was trying to sleep. Got to our resort at 0900 hrs. On last day, we were advised check out at 1400 for our flight at 0235. Arrived at the airport at midnight to be told that our flight was delayed until 0510 hrs. Plane finally arrived at 0500, lined up and told flight cancelled due to mechanical difficulties until further notice. Finally on the plane at 0615 for a very uncomfortable flight. Staff were rude and unaccommodating. I was not impressed with the lukewarm glass of cheap champagne, nor the food. We had trouble with them four years ago and now.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by K Saunders    (Canada)

Premium

Flew Sunwing out of Calgary to Cuba on Dec 24/2013. Arrived at airport 5am for 7am flight to be told that the flight was delayed 2 hours due to "crew rest". Get on plane at 9am only to have to evacuate due to mechanical failure. Plane had to be hauled away for inspection, hauled away with our luggage on board. Each hour that passed, no updates. Finally told that they had to get a new plane. More time passes with no announcements. Finally hear after several hours that they are getting a plane in Saskatoon out of the hangar, they will get the Saskatoon passengers and bring them to Calgary so we can all just fly out of Calgary to Cuba. Plane finally arrives but sits at gate, nobody getting off. Advised of crew change. More hours pass. Advised that there is a "catering issue beyond our control". More time passes. Finally get on the plane, Saskatoon passengers have been suck on the plane for 2 hours without any service only warm water not allowed to deplane. Get on plane, advised no audio/visual sorry (terrific for the 5.5 hour flight ahead). Lunch consisted of a bad slice of re-heated pizza in tin foil. We had upgraded to Elite Plus. Seats did not recline and the "champagne service" consisted of a tiny sample cup glass of bad champagne. All in, we were 12 hours in Calgary airport. During this ridiculous delay Sunwing handed out $5.00 lunch vouchers, which doesn't even buy you barely a coffee. Once on the plane they handed out $75.00 vouchers for your next Sunwing flight. Nobody was bothering taking these vouchers. We were scheduled to arrive into Cuba Dec 24 at 4:30 p.m., instead after the 12 hour delay, and a 90 minute bus ride we ended up arriving to the resort at 3am! Ridiculous and horrible service and airline. Never again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Esther R Eisen    (Canada)

Premium

Vancouver to Varadero. Flight supposed to leave at 6.30 pm. Upon arrival at airport, found out there was a planned 4 hr delay. They gave out $5 vouchers. Finally go to departure gate and it was announced that there was another 4 hour delay. Flight took off 7.5 hours late departing at 1 am. Return trip was worse. Resort kicked us out of rooms at 12 noon even though flight didn't leave until 4 am. Bus picks us up at 1 am, arrive at airport approx. 2.30 am, find that flight delayed approx. 1.5 hrs, now supposed to be there at 6 am. At approx. 5 am we are told that the incoming flight, has landed in Havana instead of Veradero, due to fog. At 11 am, flight finally arrives. Then find out that Pearson is closed due to bad weather. Missed another whole night of sleep arrived back at home absolutely exhausted and stressed out.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Ian Mclachlan    (Canada)

Jan 6th. Left our Condo at 8am for our 10.30 flight to Toronto after confirming online that the flight was on time. On arrival at St Petersburg airport the monitor showed on time so returned our rental car. When we got to the desk we were told the flight had not left Toronto yet and the new flight time would be at 1pm. There was no explanation as to why the website nor the airport monitors were not updated, no explanation of why we were not alerted by email. We rented another car for a few hours and are now back at our condo. It is just poor customer service not to keep people informed and have them sitting in an airport for 5 hours. Delays are inevitable especially with the weather conditions in Toronto. A flight delay is one thing but Sunwings very poor communication is another.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by T Kwan    (Canada)

Never take Sunwing unless you don't mind your flight being constantly delayed (both ways). We left for Vegas on 29th, flight got delayed for more than an hour. On our return trip our flight was once again delayed an hour. As I type this, we are once again waiting for our luggage to load onto the conveyor belt. It's been an hour already with no explanation as to why our luggage is being held back! Our arrival time should be 4.10 but it is now 6.30pm and we are still waiting for luggage. Customer service on Sunwing is very poor. We encountered very rude check-in staff and rude careless flight attendants.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by N Richardson    (Canada)

Will never book with Sunwing again due to horrendous track record. Waiting for flight back to YVR from Cabos right now, which is 5 hours delayed. The flight there was delayed by 5 hours as well. How's that for consistently bad execution? No weather or other understandable reason for these delays is known.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Olive Sun    (Canada)

My first and last time with Sunwings. The delays are terrible. The flight from Toronto to Vancouver on Dec 20th 2013 delayed almost 3 hours. My return flight on Jan 4, 2014 most likely will be another 3 hours late.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  4 January 2014 by Nicole Pasch    (Canada)

Flight delays, but expected on Dec 22nd. Return flight delays out of Punta Cana, Dom. Rep., not announced to Sunwing passengers (Dec. 29th). Good thing we kept an eye on things, otherwise we would have missed our flight home. Sunwing staff was polite, pilot and co-pilot gave us lots of updates, the food (sandwiches) were quite good and they were quick to clean up after meals and snacks.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  4 January 2014 by Shannon Cook    (Canada)

Premium

Paid for Elite Plus, did not get checked-in or boarded any sooner than regular economy. I questioned the employees in both Hamilton and Cuba and no one cared, just walked away. Service was terrible on the way there. For some reason the staff did not know what was being served, there was a lot of confusion as one staff walked up and down the aisles for about half hour but didn't distribute them and no one advised of any delays, so we sat there frustrated and hungry. In Cuba, when I tried boarding, I was yelled at in front of everyone by a staff member because he said I was supposed to board first and I said I didn't hear anything as it was utter chaos once we got through customs, there was no organization, direction or signs and it was very loud. He then started arguing with me and I had to ask him to give me my boarding pass back to get onto the plane.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by T Button    (Canada)

Our family vacations a lot and I used to travel significantly during 30 years in business. I have never had Flight from Saskatoon to Punta Cana was delayed 5 hours. On the return flight the departure from Punta Cana was delayed 2 hours. On the scheduled stop over in Cayo Coco there was a mechanical problem, after sitting on the runway for 2 hours we were deplaned and told that the plane needed to return to Toronto. The entire plane load of people was abandoned in Cayo Coca with no information provided on what was going on. After two hours of waiting in the airport we were informed that a new plane was being sent from Toronto and the flight we would rescheduled to 10.30 the following morning. They did transport us to and paid for accommodation at a local hotel for the night. The next morning everyone was at the airport ready to go at 9.00 only to be told the flight was delayed until noon. Flight finally took off at 1.00. To top it all off we had to wait an hour for our bags to be unloaded back in Saskatoon. I have been on hundreds of flights and 20 years of winter vacations and this is by far the worst airline experience I have ever had.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Peter Vilks    (Canada)

Our family vacations a lot and I used to travel significantly during 30 years in business. I have never had flights delayed anywhere near 12 hours while on business and yet, with Sunwing it's happened twice, first to Puerto Vallarta and then on December 21 to Punta Cana. We had booked a 6.30am departure which eventually left around 9.00pm. We were given a $15 food voucher and $75 travel voucher (for the Puerto Vallarta trip the travel voucher was $150). It was particularly exasperating that we were not informed of reasons why this happened. There are multiple strategies airlines may employ in order to maximize yield and passenger revenue miles. One of these is overbooking. With this strategy, passengers were asked to voluntarily deplane, and those not wishing to do so were not inconvenienced. To my surprise, there was always a rush to receive the two free tickets to anywhere the airline flew. It appears the Sunwing strategy is to wait until all seats are filled and while this is good for Sunwing shareholders in the short term it is not good for the long term for Sunwing or its hotel partner. I would love to have another carrier but they have a lock on our favourite destinations and resort hosts. I'm not looking forward to our January 31 flight to the Mayan Riviera already booked.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Martel Jean    (Canada)

Ottawa to Cancun, Dec 21. The flight was late both ways by 3 hours. 5 kg carry-on rule, the carry-on alone weighs 4 kg. Worst sandwich I have ever had. The plane was filled with families for Christmas and they played a very violent movie. Paid 160 dollars for so called elite seats that could not even recline. A 4 hour flight and we got one warm coke serving to drink, had to ask for ice that she was hiding in her cart. Never again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by M Deitz    (Canada)

Went to Punta Cana recently with Sunwing. We sat on the plane while it took forever for it to finally start moving and take off. Got to our resort and it was terrible. Sunwing reps didn't seem to know much about anything. Flight attendants were extremely rude, the worst I have come across. Inflight entertainment consisted of a low budget movie which nobody had ever heard of. Flight was delayed on the way out of Punta Cana, however, the airline never let anyone know and everyone was panicked and scrambling to find out what was going on. When it was finally time to board, they didn't even announce it. Could have easily missed our flight if we weren't paying extra attention.