Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  22 February 2014 by J Vydra    (Canada)

Flight WG636, YOW to HOG, Feb 5 2014. Pulled back from gate on time, left 30 min late due to required de-icing and landed about 20 late. Had regular seats (super-economy pitch). I'm 6'2" with long legs. The aisle seat made it bearable. Crew was young and friendly, flight deck sounded British. Thomson wet lease, 2 yr old 737. Complimentary hot sandwich or pizza, red or white wine, sparkling wine, soft drinks, water. No surprises, uneventful. Return flight more of the same. Minor delay leaving Cuba and arrived slightly late in Ottawa. Different crew, same level of service.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by S French    (Canada)

Jan 17 2014 - Ottawa to Varadero - travelled with spouse and child (under 10 years old). Woke up at 2.30am to do online check-in - don't waste your time, it's a disaster. Departing flight delayed by 7 hours, for no apparent reason. $10 vouchers given to each of us, which was basically enough to cover food from Tim Horton's. Should have arrived in Varadero at 11am - but instead of having lunch on the beach, I was having lunch in an airport. Finally departed at 1.15pm, landing in Varadero by 6pm. By the time we arrived at the resort and were checked into our room we had lost an entire day of our vacation. Not enough food for everyone on the plane. Flight crew polite. Return flight on January 24 from Varadero left on time. Bathrooms and plane were filthy, to say the least. Flight crew very nice. There was enough food on the plane for everyone this time. Entertainment was acceptable - as none of us had seen either of the movies. Kid friendly - they handed out a cute little backpack full of activities. Our son loved this. Caution: they are strict with the weight of luggage, which is different for every other airline carrier - 44lbs for checked luggage, 11lbs for carry on. Do not upgrade to elite if you are doing it to have a more comfortable seat - yes, you get more leg room, but the seats do not recline. Every little "upgrade" costs you. Next time, I will pay the extra money and fly with a reputable airline.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Paul Tessier    (Canada)

Premium

Charter to Huatulco wasn't the best. We purchased Premier Elite. Premier was sold as having access to lounge, more leg room, advance check in etc. More leg room is factual. Easier check in is factual. That part is good and why I purchased. We paid $52 for 1 hour in the premium lounge using our Sunwing voucher. Its wasn't free as shared when I booked the trip. In short complete misrepresentation of the facts. Don't sell premier Service including access to lounge without informing client that there is going to be an hourly charge. If I share with the check-in staff member that I'm a Premier passenger trust my word.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by N Byers    (Canada)

We flew Sunwing on Jan 7th, 338 from Saskatoon to Santa Clara Cuba. We found that Sunwing is the worst to fly with, they will leave you stranded in an airport, it took us a day longer to get there than it should have. I would not fly with them again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by C Huntingford    (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Holguin with Sunwing and left on time for our flight there. The inflight crew were very friendly and efficient. Decent food and a good movie plus a small glass of sparkling wine after take off, hot face cloth handed out and a complimentary glass of wine with your pizza or sandwich. I felt spoiled. On the way home we left 20 minutes early. I would definitely use Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by T McGuire    (Canada)

We just returned Tuesday night from Puerto Plata, DR. Sunwing was very accommodating for my dad who needed a wheelchair. We didn't have to wait long for assistance, and we were taken directly where we needed to go. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely fly Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Cepinskas Ingrid    (Canada)

Toronto to Orlando round trip. Both flights were on time, return flight actually came 30 min early. Clean planes, polite and friendly flight crew, would not hesitate to fly with them again. We used Sunwing multiple times for Cuba trips in the past and the experience was positive as well.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by M Budd    (Canada)

Feb 4 2014. Our flight from Toronto to Caya Coco, was on time, and the return flight was delayed only 20 mins. Sunwing reps were pleasant and helpful. I would fly with Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Helen Winn    (Canada)

Premium

Toronto to Liberia, Costa Rica on Jan 22nd, flight #724, returned on Feb 6th flight #725. Considering that their prices are amongst the highest, nothing special and I purchased a promotion buy one get half off second, still cost us just over $800 each. They can keep their champagne (one way only) and the awful food they serve and lower the cost. Paid more for the extra legroom, I don't know how anyone could sit comfortably in the regular seats. Flew American last year with a layover in Miami and would definitely consider again. Lovely updated aircraft, roomy seats, no meals but price was over $150 less. Only reason I booked direct was I was travelling with my 90 year old mother, the layover would have been too much for her. Flight attendants were very nice, check in staff was great in Toronto and Liberia.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Melanie Cupolo    (Canada)

WG 685 from Varadero to Toronto, direct on Feb 2. My fiancé and myself travelled to Cuba a week ago, we will never be travelling with Sunwing again. I can not comprehend why people who book trips together and are given the same confirmation numbers for their flights are not automatically seated together. Would it not be common sense that they would probably like to sit together. We will not be definitely not be using this airline for our honeymoon, We were so looking forward to our trip and to not be able to be seated together for a flight just shy of 4 hours was extremely disappointing. When you run out of sandwiches by the 8th row on the return trip, it should be pretty easy to figure out that your pizza is awful. Pizza is meant to be served cooked, raw dough is awful!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by J Reiber    (Canada)

We experienced a 2 hour delay leaving Ottawa, Canada, Feb 8/14 only to find out that our reservation at the resort we booked got us bumped to a sister hotel. No Sunwing rep the next day as he was "late" arriving. Two days later we finally got to the resort we had booked with no help from Sunwing. To add to the frustration, we endured a 10 hour plus delay at the Cancun airport where we slept on the floor all night and flight left at 6.30am that day. All and all, I would never use Sunwing again even after a $150 credit to be used on future trips was offered.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Gerard Lebrun    (Canada)

Flight from Ottawa to Varadero delayed 6 hours, Feb 6. Return flight delayed 2 hours. On top of that we never received a registered baggage during the whole week! Bistro meal is choice between a cardboard tasting pizza stuck to the cardboard box or a greasy smoke meat sandwich stuck to the aluminium wrapping, The wine served is barely drinkable.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by K Peet    (Canada)

We flew to Santa Clara, Cuba on Feb. 6 from Toronto. The plane was loaded quickly and efficiently and on time, a small 20 minute delay was due to de-icing and not Sunwing itself. The aircraft was old but there was quite reasonable seat room. Airline staff were very friendly and professional. Food was ok. The champagne was a nice touch and it helped us to feel like we were finally on vacation! We landed at Santa Clara just 10 minutes past the scheduled arrival time. The flight back to Toronto a week later left on time and also arrived as scheduled. Again the crew was friendly and attentive. Just 2 complaints about the flight home, this was a newer plane and the lack of seat room was astounding, we were really scrunched in to the point of being quite uncomfortable. Also, the audio system at my seat didn't work at all. But all in all, Sunwing was just fine and I would certainly consider flying with it again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Kean Frank    (Canada)

Leaving Ottawa to Orlando, February 1st 2014 our flight was delayed 2 hours. When returning home to Ottawa from Orlando our flight was delayed 5 hours - not acceptable. Will never fly with Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by P Gagnon    (Canada)

My husband and I have flown many times with Sunwing and never had a problem. This is why I feel it necessary to write a review. We flew to Fort Lauderdale on the 26 Jan and returned 12 Feb. Not more than a half hour delay there and back. In November we went to Cancun same thing all went well and no delays!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  15 February 2014 by E Gustafson    (Canada)

Premium

Flew from Winnipeg to Cabo on January 31, 2014. The plane left on time it was a direct flight which took 3 hrs 55 minutes. We flew back to Winnipeg on February 6, 2014 left on time 3 hr 55 minute flight. I would definitely recommend Sunwing.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  15 February 2014 by Tanya McNutt    (Canada)

Premium

When we first booked this trip it was going to Orlando. Then a few months later it was changed to going to St. Petersburg. On the way there it stopped at St.Peterburg then went on to Orlando. On the way back we had to go to St.Peterburg to get home. We chose to get off and drive to Orlando. If I knew this was going to be the trip I would have canceled. Flight delayed both ways by 1.5 to 2 hours. Free sandwich was not worth the delay.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2014 by E Kotris    (Canada)

Premium

Flight to Varadero, Cuba from Winnipeg on Jan 25th 2014, delayed 7 hours due to "mechanical" issues. Prior to arriving in Wpg the plane was 5 hrs late departing Cancun, 5 hours late leaving Wpg to Cancun earlier in the day, and several hours late the day before, flying between Wpg and Varadero. If you don't make-up flying time in the first couple of trips, add another plane already! The food was minimal and only edible because I was extremely hungry. Return flight from Varadero on Feb 1/2, was delayed 2.5 hrs, again, apparent "mechanical" issues. Received an application to mail in for a $75 "credit" towards future Sunwing travel, to be used within a year, not in conjunction with other "deals". Not going to happen! Unacceptable service.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by N Elmhirst    (Canada)

Just finally arrived back at 5am on a return flight from Santa Clara Cuba to Toronto. Flight was delayed 5 hours because the plane coming down to Cuba had "mechanical trouble". Unfortunately Sunwing has an ageing airplane fleet and no backup planes in case of breakdowns. We had the same experience when we flew Sunwing to Las Vegas last March. On a 3 day trip the flight was delayed a full day for "mechanical trouble". We flew back on another carrier and discarded our return Sunwing flight at the time. We tried them again to Cuba this year because our friends had already booked through them. Next time I will try to book anything with Sunwing.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by B Snooks    (Canada)

I flew to St Petersburgh from Halifax and back. Both times our flight was delayed about 1.5 hrs but it didn't really matter to me. They gave us a free sandwich which was good but wasn't that big, and drinks, the service on the plane was good both ways. They also played a movie on the flights as well. Overall we had a good experience.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Lori Corradetti    (Canada)

Staff are very friendly, food was terrible. During check-in in Cancun I noticed our line wasn't moving but there were lots of people getting checked in. As we approached I could see that there were 3 economy check-ins and one elite however all desks checked in the elite passengers before economy. On our return flight there was no entertainment. On the way to Cancun one of the toilets was out of service. There is little cushioning in the seats.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by M Brown    (USA)

Premium

Our original booking was for Feb 16 to the 23 with direct flights both ways from Ottawa to Freeport, Bahamas. About three weeks ago we received an email that our return flight was changed to having a layover in Cuba and changing our times as well. After reading the reviews I decided that Cuba was not a lay over I was willing to make so I rescheduled our flight to Feb 1 to Feb 8 from Ottawa to Orlando Florida. The flight down was delayed two hours due to inadequate staff and the return flight was delayed two hours due to mechanical issues. The food down was terrible the food on return flight not too bad. Staff were polite.