Southwest Airlines Passenger Reviews and Southwest Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Philip Cushman    (USA)

Las Vegas to Baltimore then to Portland. Our scheduled flight from Baltimore to Portland was delayed (sick crew member). Southwest gave a $100 LUV voucher. They also don't charge to change or cancel flights. They need to make sure that carry on bags will fit in overhead compartments. Many did not and had to be checked which delayed the flight.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by E Foushee    (USA)

On November 6, 2014 flew from West Palm Beach to Las Vegas via Atlanta in Business Select. Had not flow SW in years but it is apparent the service has deteriorated. The open seating is a joke and as well as the Business Select status. Pre Boards get the best seats which are clearly exit rows and the first row. I was traveling with someone who is 6'3" and 275lbs. and it was torture for them to sit in a very small seat with no leg room, to elbow room and hard seats. Staff are rude and have poor attitudes.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by T Biggs    (USA)

My mother and I arrived into Dayton, Ohio last October and surprisingly there was a wheelchair on the jet way. My mother uses a walker but we were advised to use the wheelchair because she would have a difficult time walking all the way to baggage claim. We were taken all the way to baggage claim, through the rental car kiosk, and then all the way to our rental car. We also had help to load our luggage. Same service on return and I can't say enough good things about it. Taken from the curb to the check in counter and all the way to our gate.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by H Meyer    (USA)

First time in a while flying Southwest, and as usual, a pleasant, straightforward experience. Easy-to-use website for reservations, optional boarding pass for a few bucks extra, fairly efficient boarding. My flight was from BWI to Las Vegas and I opted to pay $8 for WiFi. Southwest fulfilled their goal - moving me across the country in 5 hours or so - a great job without all of the hidden fees.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Patricia Nash    (USA)

I just recently flew to the east coast departing from the west coast. This was the first time I tried flying with Southwest and have absolutely no regrets. I experienced no delays. My flights were on time and 30 minutes early at one of my layovers. I found the staff very nice and it made my flight fun. I will stay with southwest from now on when I fly. Thanks Southwest for such an enjoyable trip across country!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by C Weiner    (USA)

My husband and I both fly frequently between Ohio and New York and Florida so this review is based on many flights. Southwest has become my preferred airline. As a senior, checking my bags for free means I don't have to lift a bag overhead that is getting increasingly difficult. No change fee means I don't have to buy insurance. The staff are wonderful, boarding is done in an efficient way, and you can get a convenient and moderately priced flight without having to fly at 5.30am. Would only use another when I have to match a specific time frame that is not available.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Mike Jacksic    (USA)

I love flying Southwest but the reason why I fly other airlines is do to the very slow baggage claim at Love Field. I took a flight from Cleveland to Love Field #4221 October 11, 2014. It took one hour from the time our flight landed until the bags were delivered. One hour, I could not believe it. They build that nice building but have no way of telling passages which of the four baggage carousels your bags will be delivered on so people scurry from one to another looking. Even after the bags arrive the Southwest team member usually is to busy to announce baggage drop until 4 or 5 bags have arrived. You spent a lot of money to rebuild that airport you would think that you could make the bags arrive in 20 or less minutes.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Denise Bee    (USA)

My family and I traveled last spring from Akron to Tampa on Airtran / Southwest Airlines. When we arrived at the airport the flight was delayed due to mechanical failure for 2 hours. Original posted delay turned into multiple delays, promised another plane which didn't show when expected. 8 hours later we were still waiting. Our patience as well as the entire waiting crowd was gone. The staff at the gate were authorized to reimburse passengers with certificate travel for the inconvenience. Ok great, (we thought). I have tried to use our certificates in several different ways. 1) We had already purchased tickets for a trip later in the summer (same airline), asked if we could cancel those and use the certificates, NO. 2) Asked if we could use the certificates for additional family members to travel with us, NO. 3) Tried to book a flight for another trip, sorry certificate seats sold out. 4) Tried to book again on a different date, NO because that put us past the travel dates on the certificate. 5) Last try today and told that the certificates are expired and no longer valid. What does a person have to do to use certificate travel? Travel to destinations nobody wants to go on dates no one wants to travel? If a certificate travel is given as a gesture of good will for inconveniences endured due to airline failure shouldn't the recipient be able to use at their convenience not the airlines?

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Rebecca Woodard    (USA)

This was the first time and last time I will fly Southwest - our flight was delayed in Chicago numerous times and our flight that should have left a couple of hours after we arrived finally left about 12 hours later. At one time we were boarded and then told the pilot had worked too many hours. We were given a $200 voucher, $200 cash would have better since I will never fly Southwest again, I will gladly pay more with another airline.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Steven Cao    (China)

DCA-MDW on Oct 1 with B737-700, flight delayed 30 minutes which is fine, cabin is clean and really spacious legroom even it's budget airline. I was surprised that complimentary beverages and chips were served! Complimentary movies and TV shows provided when you connected inflight wifi with own devices. Staff very helpful and friendly. Will fly with Southwest again definitely!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Ashley Eike    (USA)

Sep 14 on flight 648 from DEN to PHL, and Sep 20 on flight 1329 from PHL to DEN. So impressed with Southwest! Just finished our fourth flight with our infant son and I'm just so thankful for the amazing crews we've dealt with each time. So understanding and accommodating. As first time parents, we really appreciated the great service.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by S Hertz    (USA)

I paid for the early bird check in, as I do on most of my flights. I checked in online the day before at 3.30pm, which is 5 hours after I needed to if I didn't pay for the earlybird check in. When I check-in I was given A31 and A32 but didn't print my boarding pass as I didn't have access to a printer. The next morning before my flight I printed my boarding pass and was given B32 and B33. When I got to the gate, I asked the front desk women at the gate what was going on. She said "we don't guarantee what number you get." I told her that I checked in and received A31/32 and she told me again. "We don't guarantee the numbers." I told her that this was a rip-off and that if I wasn't traveling with another family I probably wouldn't have made a big deal, but since they also checked the same time I did and they received B28/29/30 and didn't pay for the earlybird that something was wrong. She told me that there is nothing she can do and I'd have to write Southwest for a reply. She looked things up on her computer and said that the earlybird for this flight never went through on my flight back. I will be looking for other airlines for my flights for now on.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by H Deaton    (USA)

Live near BWI, one of SW biggest hubs. Use SW for short non-stops but even those are becoming intolerable. Flight attendants show up after boarding time. Apparently unconcerned that delay 150 or so people so they can have 10 more minutes to do whatever. Rude instructions when boarding. Told to put my bag in bin down the aisle despite having space above my seat "to save room for other bags", unbelievably stupid as I have to go against traffic to retrieve bag now. They've gone from a "cattle car" (based on their Southwest origins) to a chicken coop. They advertise heavily "bags fly free" - didn't know they meant they would treat live human customers as baggage.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Spainhour    (USA)

I was a loyal Southwest customer who hadn't flown in a while. After five flights within the same week all I can say is Southwest isn't what it used to be. For a 6'5" 200 lb person the new seats are sheer torture. And on every flight I encountered too many passengers being crammed in to too-small planes. It's no surprise that every logistic being run on such a razor's edge makes for a stressful experience. God help you if you have to endure any connecting flights. The schedules are so tight now that they have no time to even clean the planes between boardings, and there are lots of delays. What a terrible atmosphere we encountered. The staff tries their best to pretend they aren't running a grim cattle drive, but no one is fooled. I guess corporate has decided to maximize volume and profits over any considerations of passenger comfort. Too bad. Southwest used to be different from the sleazy mentalities running most other airlines.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by B Davis    (USA)

We have always loved Southwest Airlines. Over the years they have become our "go to" airlines. That's why the first time there was mechanical delay we didn't let that impact our view of the airlines. Then, in the same week, we had another mechanical delay. Now, don't get me wrong, I would much rather them find out problems while the aircraft is still on the ground! Today, ( all delays have been within the same week and half) there is another mechanical delay! This makes three in a short time span. What's going on with Southwest airlines aircraft? As I said before, I would rather find problems on the ground but three delays on three different aircraft's all mechanical issues is reason for concern! It turns out a mechanic accidentally opened up the bathroom sewage and it poured out into the aisle of the plane. No one is getting on that plane anytime soon!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Scott Palmieri    (USA)

I will never fly Southwest again. They claim there is no assigned seating but you can purchase "Early Bird Check- in" which, they claim, automatically checks you in 36 hours in advance instead of the usual 24 hours. So I purchased the Early Bird check in plan, thinking that my whole family would be able to sit together. (Group A-so I thought). Surprise, when I received my boarding passes, we were in Group B, which means you have less that a 50% chance of your family seating together. I called Southwest and was told that the Early Bird Check in does not guarantee anything, it just gives you the best available boarding at that time, Well, they didn't tell me this when they took my money. So, in order to ensure that my family would be together, I had to spend more money and purchase First-In boarding passes (Group A) for an additional $40 per person (One way). The plane was small, cramped, no room to even think about being comfortable. I am an average size man, (5'11, 195 lbs). I can't imagine how someone bigger must have felt. Then, imagine my surprise, when the flight attendant announced, to the final group of people boarding (Group C) to take the first available seat because they were saving the seats in the back for families, so they could sit with their children. Twice, I spent money to guarantee my family would sit together, because they claim there is no assigned seating, and now they are saving seats for families, so they can sit together, Are they serious!! Either you have assigned seating or you don't. Which is it? It is clear that Southwest doesn't have their act together and I believe they are not worth the hassle. I won't fly them again and certainly would not recommend them to anyone.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by E Hansen    (USA)

I recently flew with Southwest. I was extremely disappointed in the dysfunctional boarding system. Although, I was aware that the Southwest boarding system was different, I had no idea how poorly it could work in reality. Long story short: whatever you do, do not pay extra for a business select ticket. I needed to travel within the last few weeks from St Louis International airport to Washington Dulles International airport. I would have preferred a direct flight, but being able to stow both carryon bags without using gate check is a big plus. In order to get a better seat on the airplane I paid the extra money for a business select ticket. This puts you near the front if not at the front of the line. Southwest seating is first come first serve. On my way to D.C. the system worked well enough, although on my first flight I did not get a great seat as I was boarding in position A15. That didn't bother me much, the system had worked as designed. My second flight I was first in line and pretty content with the outcome. However, on one of my return flights things got extremely frustrating. The problem started when it was time to board after a layover at Midway airport in Chicago. Now I first want to say that I support the idea of allowing people who are handicapped to pre-board. But, I do not support the idea of letting them take all the best seats on the plane. My ticket from Midway to St Louis had me boarding in position A1 theoretically the very first passenger to board if not for pre-boarding. There were four pre-board passengers ahead of me. When the gate agent called for pre-boarding around six more family members who were clearly strong healthy adults decided to board with them. Not acceptable. By the time I got on the plane all of the very best seats with extra leg room in the front row where taken. The four very best seats where occupied by the healthy family members who decided that they were entitled to board with their handicapped family members. Why can't Southwest declare the front row an "exit row"? It is an exit row! That would prevent pre-boarders from sitting there. What did I pay extra for to get priority seating if Southwest is just going to give those seats away to some very dishonest people? In the end: I paid and they did not deliver. I recommend that if you choose to fly Southwest do not pay extra for the business select ticket. I personally will not be flying Southwest again under any circumstances.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Kim Frazier    (USA)

I was hesitant to fly Southwest because I'd heard the "cattle call" remarks from others, but honestly it was fine. I paid the $25 for my sister and I to do the early bird check-in, which I will always do from now on. We boarded quickly and took off on time. I enjoyed sitting up front on the way to Phoenix (I'm claustrophobic, so the extra room made for a more comfortable feeling overall). Coming back, we were a few rows back and it was cramped for sure. That's to be expected on a smaller jet with smaller seats. For a domestic flight, it's doable. What I was really impressed with was the overall attitude and presence of the crew. I have always flown Delta in the past and was surprised to see the pilots before the flight. The flight attendants were very nice. The flight back to Atlanta was interesting as there were weather issues, but the pilot did a great job of navigating around and through the worst of it I believe as there was hardly any turbulence. I'll fly SW again, for sure.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Shipley    (USA)

On-time flights don't exist. I had 2 round trip flights in 2 weeks for a total of 4 departures. All 4 were 20-30 or more minutes late. 100% failure rate for that. Your luggage flies for free but that doesn't outweigh the chronic tardiness issue. If you want in flight entertainment you must download their app, but I couldn't ever get it to work. User error I'm sure. At least they provided a quarter of a soda in a cup during the flight. If you book Southwest your flight will be late. That is the Southwest guarantee.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Williams Anthony    (USA)

Plane was supposed to depart at 10.25AM, it is 11.20am now and we are still waiting to leave. No beverages have been offered and everyone on the flight is becoming frustrated. They made an announcement while I am writing this review. They said "we are still repairing the aircraft and we will update in 15 minutes or so." This is absolutely ridiculous. A full flight sitting in a hot plane for an hour now and we are about to take off in a plane that has just been repaired. My multiple time flying with Southwest and this will be my last.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Lamar    (USA)

We are flying from Birmingham to Albany. Before deplaning we learned there is an hour delay for our 2 hour layover in Baltimore. We are not surprised as my husband had a 2 hr delay from Albany to Jackson a few days ago, my sister in law had a 2 hr delay flying from DC to Panama City, and we were delayed 3 hrs flying from LaGuardia in our layover in Nashville. If you want to get anywhere on time I would suggest a different airline. We have almost a full day of list time in delays and have been offered no apologies and no compensation. This is our vacation time and we work hard all year for it, it is valuable family time and we've paid richly to be robbed of it. I will never fly Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Jan Reynolds    (USA)

My 94 year old mother-in-law and I flew Southwest from San Jose, CA to Austin TX on July 29th 2014 and she flew back alone on August 16th 2014. We had outstanding service in every way before and on both flights. The folks who met us with her wheelchair were so accommodating, polite and respectful. The ticket agents helped us in every way possible even when we thought we had some difficult issues. The attendants on the plane were very friendly and so kind. We and she alone on the way back could not have asked for better service. We will both definitely fly Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Laura Fox    (Ireland)

San Diego to Las Vegas, 13th Aug. Las Vegas to San Francisco, 15th Aug. Seeing as people seem to only write bad reviews about Southwest I decided to write a very positive review. I had 2 separate flights with Southwest in a week. Both flights were excellent. Most probably the friendliest staff and crew I have come across on any airline. The emergency demonstrations are witty and funny and do not sound like a robot that does not want to be there. They also offer free beverages and a small snack on board which is a nice gesture to get you through a short flight. There are a very efficient airline. We had no delays and baggage was returned quickly once off the aircraft. I would recommend Southwest to anyone flying within the US. They are truly cheap and cheerful.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by R Rich    (USA)

August 16, flight 74, Indianapolis to Orlando. In great contrast to our August 11 trip from Orlando to Indianapolis (Flt 4453) that provided the usual friendly service from Southwest attendants, our experience today was the exact opposite. Upon boarding our experience was very positive with the attendant who seated us and helped with storing our carry-ons. We never saw that person again since she must have been working the back of the plane. The attendants in the front of the plane (a male and female) did their job and that was about it - bare minimum. From the outset when we boarded, they seemed to lack interest, were detached and somewhat edgy. I noted the male attendant was unnecessary rude to two male passengers when he could have been much more polite in both verbal exchanges that I overheard.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by B Maughan    (Australia)

My wife and I are from Australia, but when we come to the States we try to fly Southwest whenever practical, because they deserve the business due to their fair business practices and good service. We've always appreciated that they don't charge for luggage and that a person can change flights without any charge. We flew them a number of times last month, and I can say only good things about them. We will continue to support them in the future when we come to the States, and I wish they operated here in Australia.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Barry Woolnough    (Australia)

July-August 2014. Los Angeles-Midway Chigao-Louisville-Las Vegas-Los Angeles. Once again excellent airline. Cannot find anything to complain about. Staff and service fantastic. On time. Of course food and beverages you pay for but have no issue with that. 2 free checked luggage a bonus.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by R Gonzaga    (Malaysia)

Flight 2534, BWI to Providence on 17 Aug return BOS to BWI on 19 Aug on 3059, travelling to Cape Cod. I was a little apprehensive about flying Southwest having read the reviews but I must confess I was very impressed. Boarding was carried out promptly and according to the rules of seating on both flights. Both flights left on time, the flight attendants were pleasant and engaging. On the return flight, the pilot met passengers at the door and shook my hand and thanked us for flying Southwest! Drink orders were processed promptly and small snacks were handed out. The return flight had in flight wifi with TV and movies on demand. All in all, it was value for money and when I am back in the US, I would use them again without a doubt.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Phil McConnell    (Australia)

LAX-MKE-SEA. For me Southwest has always been a superb US domestic carrier and these trips were no different. A tip is to purchase for $10 the early check-in which gets you into the A group boarding. well worth the efforts not to have to fight for a seat.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Jones Adrian    (USA)

I flew on Flight 3276 from ATL to TPA on August 9. This was my very first flight on Southwest and hopefully my last as they kept on delaying the flight to avoid paying for hotel rooms for passengers who were late coming from a connecting flight. I will say that I have never experienced this flying with multiple other airlines and I will do everything I can from here on to avoid flying with Southwest Airlines.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Weber    (USA)

I heard last week that Southwest is the largest airline in the US now. Unfortunately, I think their growth has resulted in decreased novelty and satisfaction. I do fly it on a regular basis because they service MDW from LAX, but I find that the amount of space for seats is poor, the wifi is the worst that I have found in the market in recent years (I work a lot on planes and SW wifi is very, very slow). It is not worth looking at inflight snacks as the quality is so poor. It is now just an airline with less than average amenities.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Brenda Yates    (USA)

I recently traveled from Louisville to Orlando, no problems the flight was very smooth, no problems with the luggage and arrived in Orlando thirty minutes ahead of schedule. The flight home went very smooth also, no problems at all, overall I was very pleased and plan on using Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Connolly Karen    (UK)

We recently travelled from Burbank to Denver. This is the worst airline I have travelled with. The flight attendants were rude too with bad attitudes. This airline also allow full size cases on board instead of the usual hand luggage resulting in those with genuine hand luggage to force under a seat which resulted in cramped seating and no leg room. Thank goodness the flight was only 2 hours 20 minutes which was long enough in those conditions. They also don't allocate seating resulting in a free for all.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Paul Brylinski    (USA)

85 boy Scouts took flight 63 on 8/2/14. All staff were so pleasant and went around 3 times to make sure we were good with drinks. That was really impressive. They were so kind and even let us know our gates for connecting flights. Nice job! Everything was great.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Jake Davidson    (USA)

Currently on board the plane traveling from Chicago to San Diego using the wifi I purchased for a whopping $8.00. Aside from being able to access a few sites on my iPad (ironically this is one of them), the wifi enabled me to do virtually nothing. I could not open my Netflix/HBO app because they were incapable of connecting to the network, so I tried their respective online websites to access my media. Once again the websites were unable to load due to the wifi and I found myself soon discovering more and more entertainment related websites/apps (games/music/etc.) were unable to load. Apparently their definition of wifi limits you to reading Wikipedia articles and twiddling your thumbs while you constantly refresh pages. Needless to say I will not be making this purchasing mistake again, however I will be traveling Southwest again in my future as they are still by far the best bang for your buck!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Matthew Zhang    (USA)

I booked a trip to fly from Houston to Lubbock with a stop in Austin. The flight went smoothly from Houston to Austin, in Austin I had a 2 hour stopover until my flight to Lubbock, I fell asleep and missed my flight and when I went to the gate agent saying that I missed my flight she just shrugged and showed me two boarding passes and said I could get on a flight to Lubbock via Dallas, I accepted and she gave me the boarding pass. The flight to Dallas kept getting delayed because of thunderstorms in Dallas. I finally got to Lubbock at 10.50. The next morning I went on Southwest.com and went to see if my points had posted, I found out they didn't so I called Southwest and they told me that I didn't receive my points because I missed my original flight. I will never fly Southwest again because they have terrible service.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Diana Masse    (USA)

Due to a family emergency, I was forced to fly SW again on Sunday August 3rd (even after I promised myself never again after 3 other bad experiences in SW). My first flight went out okay but the connection in Baltimore was awful. First, they asked for 3 volunteers to trade their seats for $300 vouchers due to SW oversold the flight. After we finally boarded the plane, the captain announces a mechanical malfunction, so we all had to deplaned. They began lying to people in order to keep them calmed. after, they decided that each flight should go in 2 different groups (Orlando and Raleigh), Another hour passed and we were still don't know the real reason we couldn't board a 2nd plane .Two hrs later, they decided to switch gates again and telling us that because plane #2 also had a mechanical problem we have to now board plane #3! All of the sudden they announced that the two initial flights became one again, what a mess! I finally arrived to my emergency 3 hrs later.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by N Allen    (USA)

It is too bad the people that seem to post on the web are the ones that have had poor experiences. I fly almost weekly on Southwest for the last 6 years. It is with trepidation that I fly other airlines as you never know what you are going to get-especially Delta. The customer service is second to none and the seats are always roomy and predictable. Unless you need the extra leg room such as an exit row if you check in at the 24 hour mark or pay the low fee to board early you have a large selection of seats. Rarely are they late. The staff are empowered to solve customer issues and do so readily. Airline tickets are easy to change and credit refund with no fees. Plus there is no baggage fee for the first 2 bags and their pricing is competitive. Airline miles are so easy to use including international. This airline develops trust based on their reliability and customer service. Definitely a loyal fan and steady customer!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Michael Giordao    (USA)

Flight 4111 on 7/26 and 3371 on 7/31. This airline not only messed up my flight down to Florida but also messed up my flight back home, this is the worst airline choice you can possibly have, if you decide to book a flight make sure you book it for the earliest possible time because you won't end up on a plane until the middle of the night anyways. This is such a terrible airline.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by A Schmit    (USA)

FLL to MSP and return. Staff must've taken how to not smile and treat everyone like cattle as part of their classes because on every flight we took (there were 4 total for the round trip) all attendants were almost disgruntled employees. They looked like they "had" to be there. An elderly woman who couldn't sit with her young grandchild who was very nervous about that (because of their no assigned seats policy) was delighted when another customer volunteered to switch seats with her before they even started the seat belt instructions and the first flight attendant reprimanded them and then I saw her tell the second attendant who rolled her eyes. Come on, that made the flight more enjoyable for everyone plus what was the big deal to them? Our soft drinks took almost the whole flight to get to us and then they ask for your garbage right after you start drinking it. The seats are comfortable enough but there is no perks to paying the extra $12 a ticket for the early bird check in unless you are just partial to a window seat. I got A30-36 boarding most times which is after the first A group picks all the leg room seats. The only thing I like is that you can control whether or not you sit in front of kids if you don't want to, you find a seat in front of adults already sitting.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Stephanie Wilson    (USA)

My husband took a flight to go to a funeral in Charlotte NC this past month. The flight down was fine, the flight back however, was a nightmare! They canceled the flight with no prior warning and did nothing to help their passengers from being stranded in the airport. In fact the customer service representative was horrendous. When I called to try to fix the problem she not only had no sympathy for the stress they were causing their customers but she also laughed at me when I was voicing my concerns about the fact that the only flight she was offering us was for Wednesday and his original flight was for Monday. The only solution she had was either take the Wednesday flight and figure out a place to stay for 2 nights or they will refund our ticket price (not the fees included with the ticket) and we were tasked with finding another flight with a different airline to get home. Southwest has no issue with leaving their customers stranded in an airport with no alternative plan than to find your own way home. I would never recommend them as they dont care about their customer experience at all and refuse to respond to complaints.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by LaCoille Morse    (USA)

Went on vacation July 9-18. Flight out to Denver was ok - nothing special. Seats were very cramped. Flight 2068 back from Denver to Boston was horrible! To start, flight was delayed twice. We were a party of 4 sitting all the way in the back. From the time we got in the air until about three quarters of the way through the flight, the two female flight attendants and one male flight attendant were just horrible. When one of the females came around asking for beverage requests I asked for a coffee. Everyone in my party received their drink except me, no coffee. But it got worse! After drinks were served these three attendants proceeded to stand in the back by the bathroom and galley and talk and laugh extremely loudly, with no regard whatsoever for all of us in the back of the plane, including two toddlers, who were trying to sleep. They kept up their loud talking and shrieking laughter for over an hour. It was absolutely horrible and disrespectful. I will never fly Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by A Batchelor    (USA)

Burbank-Phoenix, SWA286. Phoenix-Buffalo, SWA197. July 17th. My first time flying Southwest, and I was very impressed. Customer Service was the best I have seen, and I have been on United, Delta, American, etc. I was flying from Burbank to Buffalo via Phoenix and the first flight was 15 minutes early and the 2nd flight was right on time! I read a lot of people on here do not like the seating policy, I honestly love it, it is very simple and you choose which seat you want and Southwest is known for being the quickest airline for planing and deplaning. Flight attendants were very nice, I liked the humor they used for their announcements. You have complimentary non- alcoholic drinks and they give you a bag of peanuts and pretzels. All in all I would recommend Southwest.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by A Roberts    (USA)

When and if Southwest changes its seating policy, I will consider flying it again. Unfortunately, is pretty much the only airline that flies to ISP, but I hate the seating policy so much that for my upcoming trip I will fly into JFK and take a shuttle. SW likes to say that its seating policy is freedom of choice, choose any seat you want but that is not true. There is a hierarchy for seating which they charge extra for and then after paying all these extra fees you could still wind up with a lousy seat. We paid extra and were able to snag bulkhead but not exit row for the first leg of our trip because those were taken by mostly short people who don't need the leg room but who had boarded first. Then we had to change planes. Unfortunately the connecting flight originated from somewhere else and the plane was already half full, so not only could we not get any leg room, but we couldn't even sit together. Paying extra for better boarding is like playing roulette, you take your chances and the odds are against you. I'd rather pay extra to choose my seat and know that it is guaranteed. The whole boarding process is so stressful because some people are pushing to get ahead of other people and everyone is rushing to grab the seat they want, not knowing if they are going to be out of luck or not. Then after you get your seat, the flight attendants are trying to get people to volunteer to give it up so a family can sit together. The whole thing is absurd. On top of all of this, their prices are often not the lowest. I can fly into JFK, pay extra for premium seating and afford a shuttle for what a Southwest flight to ISP costs.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by B Kvanvig    (USA)

Our flight from Orlando to Denver was full. I checked in about 23 hours before departure and got group C boarding passes. They want you to buy the automatic check in so they can get extra money out of you. My wife and I had to sit about 6 rows apart. The return flight was delayed 1.5 hours and when we tried to switch to an earlier flight, they wanted $347 to change so we waited. This flight we checked in for when we arrived at the airport and got group C again. Flight was full, but we at least got seats across the aisle from each other. I'm done flying Southwest, I would rather have assigned seating even if I have to pay a bit more. I don't know why the flight was delayed in Denver, never got an explanation. Too many pre-boarders, families, etc. that your boarding pass doesn't really mean anything anyway.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by S Campbell    (USA)

SJC to PDX. I have never experienced such poor Customer Service in the 13 years I have been traveling with this airline. I have been getting the feeling that the service had lost its world renowned status for the last few years. I stayed with this airline for their frequency and on time performance. Despite having a huge incentive voucher from Alaska Airlines, I will say that after this experience I have completely given up on Southwest Airlines as a competitor. I was greeted by a Customer Service Representative with a mouthful of French Fry! After being told that my flight was delayed, four hours due to an earlier mechanical problem. I asked why I was not notified prior to my on time arrival at the airport? The representative said that due to operational irregularities there was no way of notifying passengers of the delay. After waiting four hours with no communication form Southwest employees an announcement was made. My flight was going to be canceled and we could all receive vouchers. The chaos that ensued was unreal. Before I knew what was happening there was a line of 100 plus passengers waiting to get vouchers. I opted to leave the airport and fly Alaska Airlines the next day.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by A Snyder    (USA)

We planned a trip from Pittsburgh Airport to Memphis Airport (supposed to be a 4hr 45min trip). We were traveling with a 3 yr old. We arrived at Pittsburgh Airport with our flight scheduled to leave at 6.30pm, when checking in they said that our flight was delayed due to bad weather and offered to move us to a flight leaving at 4.45pm, we agreed and actually made it in time to board. Once it was our turn to board we were told our boarding passes were not valid and had to get out of line to go back to the lady at the boarding counter to receive new boarding tickets. We finally boarded the plane and eventually made it to our first lay-over at Chicago Airport. Ended up waiting at this airport for almost 5 hrs for our plane to arrive. Yet again when trying to board we handed the lady our boarding passes and she scanned them and was told they were invalid. Again we had to get out of line and wait until we were cleared by whomever she called about the matter. After finally getting on the plane we waited an additional 20 minutes for a passenger who for some reason or another was late. Finally we landed at Memphis Airport at 11.15pm, an hour behind schedule and thank goodness our rental car place was kind enough to wait 20+ minutes after they closed at 11pm so we could get our rental we had reserved. I was hoping our flight home would be less eventful, not so lucky! We arrived at Memphis Airport and things went smoothly (I had high hopes after this) we arrived at Orlando, FL airport. Once we arrived at Orlando airport things went downhill. We almost immediately found out that our 4.15 flight to Pittsburgh was delayed due to "weather" and wouldn't be leaving until 6.45 pm. After trying to figure out a plan we called customer service at Southwest and was told that she didn't know why we were told that our flight was delayed due to weather, in fact it had to make an emergency landing in Baltimore due to mechanical issues. 6 long hours later, we finally took off around 7pm and arrived at Pittsburgh Airport 5 hrs behind schedule, at 11.40pm. I can insure after this experience I will be flying with another airline!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Wesley Lewis    (USA)

Today, when I showed at the airport, I was informed that my flight would be late and that I had to be re-routed. This change puts me at my destination airport approximately 3 hours later than my original ticket. My wife and children now have to pick me up well past their normal bed time (our children are young). Additionally, my boarding number is well past what I had checked in with for my original flight (instead of early B, I'm now late C). I now have to wait at my departure airport 4.5 hours instead of my planned 1.5 hours. This type of customer handling is unacceptable. Southwest Airlines is supposed to be one of the top tier airlines in regards to customer satisfaction however my treatment today was truly unexpected. I should have been upgraded to business class seating (A1-A15) at least at a discounted price. Instead, I was offered nothing for my inconveniences as well as my family's. I truly understand that things happen outside of Southwest's control but I think some concession should have been offered. This would have made me feel better. Instead, I feel like Southwest's attitude towards it's passengers/customers is "deal with it" with a smile and a nod and a "next customer please" attitude.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Luke Bailey    (USA)

Got delayed due to a maintenance issue with the plane. This happens, of course, but a few major issues. First, they do not make announcements and let people know what is going on. It was past the scheduled departure time before they made any sort of announcement. All the announcement said was "If you have connecting flights, we are looking into possible changes. There is a problem with the plane, we have no idea what it is." Something along those lines. So all you know is that there is a problem with the plane? We all already know that or we would be in the air right now, or at least on the plane. Next, If you do have delays or cancellations in your flight, Southwest does not pull seats from other airlines to book the affected passengers. Other airlines have done this for me in the past. This is obviously a huge issue. You may be waiting all day or even until the next day for another Southwest flight that isn't booked and is flying where you are going. And you can't even really fly to a nearby airport because Southwest doesn't service many cities. Other airlines care about keeping you informed and they will get your flight quickly changed if there is a cancellation or large delay. Southwest cannot and will not do the same.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Martin Long    (USA)

My daughters were competing in Orlando, Florida. My wife scheduled an 8.30 am flight 3 months ago to make sure to be there. Right after the passengers boarded the flight, the pilot announced to passengers that there was a problem with the plane. The passengers deplaned, and were told that SW was working on getting another plane, a direct flight. There was no direct flight offered, and after being told they would be leaving at 5 different times, SW finally decided to bump the 3pm flight for the 8.30 am passengers. For all my wife's troubles, she was given a measly $200 voucher. She could have driven from Dallas to Orlando faster than SW got her there.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by T Brandt    (USA)

Southwest's Boarding Process has gotten completely out of control. I haven't flown on Southwest in about a year, but my experience on a recent round-trip from Phoenix to Boston with connections proved repeatedly how flyers are abusing Southwest's boarding process. On the first leg I was assigned B38, since I did not pay for EarlyBird seating, although I did check in exactly 24 hours before the flight. By the time they got to B31-60, practically the entire flight had boarded. At least 20 people were in the pre-board category, about 5 A-list flyers who hadn't gotten an A number boarded after all the A's were called, and then another 26 people boarded during "families and children". There were less than 30 people remaining to board the plane (which was entirely full) by the time they got to the B31-60 category - when technically, there should have been 75-90 people left to board. This experience was repeated on all four flights, and was worse when leaving BWI when a group of "C" pass holders snuck into the B segment and were not stopped by the gate agent. The final straw was the flight from Chicago to Phoenix. I watched a family walking through the airport to check-in, at which point the parents asked for a wheelchair for their young daughter - who had been walking with them up to that point. A wheelchair was commandeered, and they were expedited through the TSA check-point. Lo and behold, when I arrived at my gate, weren't they there - and with a pre-board pass. So clearly another way to bypass Southwest's procedures is just to commandeer a wheelchair and then you get to pre-board. It really is time for Southwest to just start assigning seats; the flying public it has been demonstrated will otherwise continue to outmanoeuvre and get around the "rules."

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Jeannie Glickson    (USA)

I was scheduled to leave for Minneapolis at 7.55 last night. Yes, there was a heavy rainstorm, and yes, flights were delayed. But Southwest seems completely incapable of telling passengers what's going on or correcting a problem. I was then told the plane would leave at 11.15, then it's leaving at 12.15 am. Then it's leaving at 1.30 am. 2 am, they let us on the plane, and we wait for an hour. Pilot time has been used up so we have to wait for another pilot. We wait an hour. No pilot. Flight is canceled. I make reservations for a flight out that morning at 5.30. Get my ticket, go to the gate. Cancelled. So where's the bag that I checked on the flight. They can't provide any answers. All they seem capable of telling me is that was an act of God, and therefore they are not responsible for anything that happened. Yes, it's cheap, but that's no excuse for treating everyone like cattle. I will never travel on it again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by L Walker    (USA)

Today was my second time taking Southwest. The 7am flight from LAX to SFO was cancelled for maintenance issues. They did not have a backup plane at LAX to accommodate their passengers. The solution that they came up with was to book all of the passengers on Standby to SFO and OAK. I am now waiting to find out even if we can fly at 9.20am or not. Which can't be answered until 8.50am. This is an unacceptable way to treat customers and I am sure is ruining more than the start of my vacation. This is the time that people book to have a get away for the weekend.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Chris Glore    (USA)

Southwest was my 'go-to' airline for the past 20 years. This past week I took a flight from Denver to Boston, a 4-hour flight that left 7 hours late. The last 4 hours was attributed to weather. The first 3 hours of delay were never explained. No responsibility taken by Southwest. No coupons offered. I will never, under any circumstance, purchase a Southwest flight again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Sheila Rothenberg    (USA)

Ever since JetBlue left Tucson International Airport, my husband and I have been loyal Southwest customers who fly four times yearly between TUS and LGA. Flights are convenient, prices are good, there's no charge for baggage, service is friendly, seats are comfortable, and we have experienced rare delays. Interestingly enough, the passengers are friendly and helpful to one another despite open seating.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by M Simmons    (USA)

I'm a loyal Southwest flier and recently had an awful experience. While flying from BWI to JAX we were told we were about to start boarding. They boarded all pre-board passengers then shut the door claiming the plane wasn't ready to board. The loaded and unloaded all luggage for what was later explained to us as an "oil leak". This whole time the pre-board passengers were still on the plane with no air what-so-ever. After 15-20 minutes they boarded the rest of the passengers. They then told us that the AC wouldn't properly work because the engine was too hot so we all sat, cramped in our seats, sweating for the two hour flight. No moving air at all. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by L Mowen    (USA)

Today was my first time flying with Southwest Airlines and I must say that I am very disappointed. Our connection flight had to be rescheduled by Southwest and by how they scheduled it we had only 30 minutes to make our next flight which turned into 2 minutes when the initial flight was delayed by the airline. Needless to say we did not make our flight. What should have been a five hour travel day turned into an all day travel day which was very long and tiresome for me especially since I am eight months pregnant. It would have made the experience a lot better if Southwest would have somehow reimbursed us for some of the flight or offered us a discount for future flights since the delays were of no fault of our own. The flight attendants were nice and the people at the ticket counters were overall nice but overall the travel experience was very disappointing. Not a fun way to start our babymoon vacation.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by E Hartig    (USA)

Haven't flown Southwest for quite a while. I am now sitting at the airport in Seattle waiting for my flight to Phoenix, the flight has been delayed 3 hrs and they said there are no other flights available. It has been back and forth from a 3 hour delay to a 6 hour delay, who knows what time we will actually depart. Doubt I will fly Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Veronica Rogala    (USA)

I received an early notice that the flight was going to be delayed one hour. Okay, that is not a problem. When I got on the flight one hour later, I sat for another additional hour! My flight was delayed over two hours, one hour was just spent sitting on the plane. Turns out, Southwest overbooked the flight. The flight attendants also had no idea what was going on. While on the plane, they made an announcement that if anyone would volunteer to go on a later flight, they would get reimbursed and have a free round trip flight. Very disorganized. I had a rehearsal dinner to attend that I made only the last few minutes of. I doubt I will fly Southwest anymore.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by T Hardie    (USA)

After being delayed 4 hours in Raleigh Durham, I caught a flight to Baltimore and on to Kansas City. I sat in an aisle seat next to a large, 300+ pound man. Obviously, I leaned out into the aisle to accommodate for the gentleman. My feet never were in the aisle, but my shoulder was. Throughout the 2.5 hour flight, I was bumped progressively harder in my shoulder 8 times by the only female flight attendant on staff. Never once when she was walking towards me from the front. Always a fast paced bump to my shoulder as she walked past me in the other direction. Never once an, "excuse me" or a turn around to see what she'd just hit. Seemed pretty intentional after the last one before landing in KC. Maybe she would be of more use loading bags somewhere away from others?

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by D Field    (USA)

Southwest Airlines has joined the ranks of all other airlines: Poor and unsupporting. Stuck my two sons in St. Louis for 24 hours due to a mechanical in Denver. Routing to Grand Rapids was via Orlando. Watch out for the fact they cannot/do not interline. United and Delta had flights open but the loaner (SWA) wont play with the others. Ended up buying them tickets on American (for less money) to get them home.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Ivan Dzhur    (USA)

LGA to HOU on May 18th. Easy check-in online and baggage drop at the airport. Organized boarding. Clean aircraft. Good legroom and comfy seat. Crew were fabulous, offered snacks and drinks. Although we left 20 min late from LGA, we arrived at HOU 15 min earlier. Our luggage was delivered shortly afterwards.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by B Korsgrin    (USA)

I won't fly Southwest anymore. I was a loyal customer for 13 years. I feel this company has lost sight of there core value, Customer service. The idea of adding 6 extra seats to there Boeing 737 configuration is a travesty. The loss of comfort and leg room just to pick up a few extra bucks. My luggage was lost on my last trip from SMF-PDX I was told by the customer service representative that my lost bag (golf clubs) could would not be delivered to Bend OR where I was staying. The new policy of SWA does not provide lost baggage delivery over a distance of 50 miles. So I can wait for the lost bag to arrive later that evening or they would ship it Fed Ex 2-3 business days. That's not going to work when I am only staying for 3 days. The new policy of taking your funds if you miss your flight. I thought that was the reason why the airlines were allowed to oversell flights. So now SWA will oversell the flight and reebook passengers if everyone shows up for the flight. But if you don't show up for the flight they have no problem taking your money with no refund or accommodation.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by P Kenney    (USA)

My last 4 flights out of Nashville have been delayed anyway from 45 minutes to 3 hours. I am a student and I like flying Southwest because of the flight change policy and 2 free bags. However, going forward I may change my airline from Nashville to Boston. I would rather have a layover on-time, then a 3 hour delay every time I fly.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by R Sattler    (USA)

I am thinking of taking a different airline for my future travels. The major reason I had chosen Southwest was the 2 free checked bags but on this last trip there was more damage to the contents of the bags then a fee would have cost me. Since I am pregnant and was tired after my flight I did not check my second bag until the next day and that is when I found the broken items. The bag did not seem damaged and the items where wrapped in towels and other clothes. Customer service said they could not do anything about it though since I did not report it within four hours. So if you choose to use them in the future check your luggage right away.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by T Potratz    (USA)

Had the worst flight ever from South West. We were stuck on the plane from 9am - 7pm PST with no food. My husband, 18 month old baby and I were supposed to fly from Raleigh to Portland, Oregon. We noted our layovers in Houston and Kansas City and planned on getting food during the stops. When our first flight landed in Houston, we were asked at stay in our seats as they would start boarding the next flight. Same thing happened in Kansas City. There was no optional food we could purchase. We were stuck trying to find whatever we could in the diaper bag to feed our little girl. We had also planned on purchasing WiFi to have our daughter watch Netflix, which was also unavailable. Insult to injury, the last leg of the flight, when I went to change my daughter's diaper, the sink in the rear bathroom was clogged and the trash was overflowing. I have tried to email Southwest Airlines, in hopes to know my complaints were heard and no response. I have also tried Twitter on multiple occasions.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by S Maize    (USA)

Something seems to have changed at Southwest. For many years SW was the only airline we wanted to fly because: on-time schedules, nice staff/crew, all around good operation. Recently (week of May 8-15, '14) my family experienced sub quality performance from SW (flights from Dallas and Albuquerque to Orlando and back). Schedules were way off, hours late with inaccurate updates that basically said "we'll fly when we fly" (weather plays into this, but weather has always been an issue and procedures to deal with it efficiently, as in giving accurate information, should be in place. Flying out of Orlando was a total fiasco. The flight schedule boards and the gate desk showed "on-time" departures when, in fact, the departure time had already passed. Travelers were asking each other for updates from the internet. Finally, the flight number completely disappeared from all boards (the SW rep at the gate said after an hour, flights are dropped and that he couldn't say when the flight would take off). So, 3.5 hours later, our plane takes off. Connecting flights, of course, didn't happen because our flights were at the end of the day. In Phoenix, around midnight, we were dumped with no customer service desk open to help those who missed their connections to re-schedule. We were lucky enough to find one ticket rep (Homero) who was trying to go home but did help single handedly even though the counter was closed and many people were needing assistance. SW offered no vouchers for future travel, and we had to find our own accommodations for the night-the info handout with a number to call for a nearby hotel recommendation with discount had little to offer with no pick-up available. My conclusion is that perhaps SW has gotten too big (with Airtran acquisition) and has lost control of some operations. SW is at its best as a short haul regional airline. Cross country flights (3 hours +) are off schedule and uncomfortable. The good news is that the staff and crew we encountered tried to be helpful, but they are powerless when they don't have the information and support that they need.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Delane Thomas    (USA)

I have flown Southwest several times. This is my first time to write a review. We flew from Little Rock to Las Vegas. On the way back we were late to board and missed the flight. They put our luggage on another plane and couldn't guarantee when they would get to Little Rock. They put us on a flight to Chicago a little later, every seat was full so we were lucky to get on. From Chicago we got a plane to Little Rock, again the seats were full, so we were lucky again. We were about five hours or so later than if we hadn't missed our original flight. All I can say the Southwest people were very nice about trying to help make the connections and when we got to Little Rock our luggage came in about forty-five minutes later. All I can say about Southwest is good. The flight attendants were very nice too, all of them. When we came into Las Vegas the plane went over the Hoover Dam with a very good view, I made a comment about the view when I got off and told the pilot I was hoping for a circle around the dam, he told me they frowned on that since it would take about another thousand bucks. A little humor thrown in. When I fly it will be with Southwest, I have never had any trouble.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Danielle Rizzo    (USA)

This is the first and last time I will fly Southwest. Our flight was delayed from L.A. to Chicago and our connecting flight was also delayed. The connection left an hour earlier than the listed time on the website. The next available flight was 17hrs later. The customer service agents were rude, condescending and were of no help at all. We rented a car to drive 12 hours home, but not before waiting 4 hours for our luggage. This service is shameful. I will never fly Southwest again and I would never recommend this airline.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by E Davis    (USA)

I will never fly this Airline again. Flight 37 was to take off at 4.50pm from Houston to Atlanta and due to weather conditions it was delayed which was understandable. However we were never updated on the flight, we kept being told that the flight was in route when it apparently wasn't and finally after 5 hours the plane arrived from Dallas - a 1 hour flight. Then we were told after it arrived that the Pilot had timed out and couldn't fly anymore. Just lies and more lies and finally a Supervisor informed us that another flight was supposed to arrive at 12.10 am and at this point we are still waiting. There was no accurate information disseminated at no time! I understand that things happen but accurate communication is essential but this was totally ridiculous and unacceptable!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Michael Boyle    (USA)

Flight 490, Tampa to Albany, NY. April 30 2014. Love the free two bags at check-in. Hate the 737-700 seats. I'm 6' 2", 230 lbs. there is no way I can sit and be comfortable. Those seats are ridiculous.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Wanda Cloutier    (USA)

This was the first and last time I plan to fly with Southwest/Transair. The plane was dirty and noisy. The staff were not pleasant and spent most of their time talking. The internet was so weak the my husband could not watch the show he wanted to without it stalling every few minutes and he could only get the dialogue with a frozen screen. It was a waste of ten dollars for a service that did not work. I am only 5 feet 2 but I could not even get my legs comfortable. There was not choice for a snack and not everyone likes or can have pretzels on their diet. When we exited the plane only one staff member was anywhere near the door but she was not greeting passengers, she was cleaning up the food area. I said goodbye and she barely looked up. The pilot did not say two words to us during the flight about where we were until we were about to land. The only good part of the whole experience was the time of day was convenient but I can find that with any airline. I will definitely be going back to the airline I have been using for decades. That way I know what I will be getting for my money. Sorry but this one bad flight put a sour taste in my mouth and wallet.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Robert Calhoun    (USA)

Not very impressed. It's been my third time the flight has been delayed and I got a 15 minute heads up, of course that update was completely useless as I was already being reassigned planes. Taking into consideration that nothing can be done about poor weather the boarding process is awful, and the representatives at the Fort Lauderdale front desk seemed very inconvenienced that they had to re-book us. It would really have made a difference if some genuine expression was portrayed.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Scott Hiorns    (USA)

March 30th 2014. Hartford, Ct. to Las Vegas. While waiting to board the flight, I noticed a very angry looking male flight attendant wandering around the gate area, he was on our flight and his mood didn't improve for the entire 5.5 hour flight. During a short period of relatively smooth air, the crew started taking drink orders. Fortunately, on the way home, the crew were very pleasant with passengers. The plane was a 737-700, fairly comfortable, and the free snacks were a nice surprise.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Bill Riley    (USA)

I think the boarding process with un-assigned seats is outdated and treats folks like cattle. You have no clue if you will be sitting with the person you are traveling with. On the first flight, I had a great seating number, had to be re-routed due to plane problems and was near-last on the re-routed flight. Sat in the middle seat (without my travel partner) for four hours. On the way back, I checked in 20 hours in advance and was the very last person boarding. How is it that I can check in that early and every single person be seated ahead of me? Again, sat in the middle and without my travel partner. The upgrade offer is nothing more than a bribe. I won't fly Southwest again.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by E Schuchardt    (USA)

Flew St. Louis to Orlando and return. Online check in was very easy and I got an "A" boarding cards both times checking in 24 hours ahead of time. Planes left and arrived on time. FAs were in a good mood and very friendly. Soft drinks and pretzels and peanuts were served. Luggage was free and arrived quickly.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by M Iwa    (USA)

Sitting in SFO waiting for my, surprise, surprise, delayed Southwest flight to Orange County. When I called them this morning to see what the delay was the agent said "It''s SFO, they're always backed up". Funny thing is I'm here sitting with my sister who has a flight to LAX, on time, on Virgin airlines, not to mention no delays on any of Virgin's flight out of SFO. Sure Southwest is cheaper but if you want to get some where on time or you would prefer not to spend your free time hanging out at an airport don't use Southwest. My flight here was delayed as well. In fact, I don't recall an on-time flight with Southwest.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Allison Kalenga    (USA)

I had my two minor sons fly from my mom's in OAK to LAX. When they arrived at the airport my mother went about getting them checked in. They were treated as if they were 18 and 25! They were not boarded separately note were they seated by flight attendants. The attendants only offered he usual snack and drink and when they deplaned, they were sent off of the plane into LAX terminal unaccompanied! When I asked about the policy, we were told that since our 13 year old was over the age of 11, he was responsible for our six year old traveling with him. This is a cash cow low class airline which I will never allow my kids to travel on again! Southwest flight 950 from Oakland to Los Angeles on Friday, April 18, 2014.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by N Shyshkin    (Canada)

BUF-MCO-BUF. The unassigned seating is such a pain, because then you have flight attendants yelling at you to choose any available seat. Both flights were on a Boeing 737-300. Cramped seating but flight attendants were polite and nice once you were in the air. In-flight magazine is terrible but the free snacks ands drinks helped. Although Southwest does have some of the best baggage policies in all of North America.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by J Hernandez    (USA)

EWR-HOU-EWR. I flew on an early flight to Houston Hobby. The flight was extremely empty and there was a ton of seats. I got A23 and A24 for that flight. Staff were quite attentive and provided us with snacks and drinks. We got into Houston around the time we should get there. Our return flight was delayed 90 minutes and we got a different plane. There were also delays at EWR so I just had to deal with it. The staff was just as attentive. Once we landed, one of the flight attendants did apologize for the delay. Although I did not check any bags, they got off the plane extremely quickly. I would fly them again!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Graham Marcus    (USA)

Return trip from Denver, change in Baltimore than land in Islip, NY landing at 8.45pm. I did not know that the first leg of the trip was stopping in Louisville, but I learned that a "direct" flight does not mean non-stop. Louisville to Baltimore was canceled and I was the only passenger that they let on, all others were stopped and told about the situation. There was no announcement about the cancellation, so when we landed in Louisville I asked the flight attendant and she sent me to the gate attendant who put me on a flight to Chicago then to LaGuardia airport landing at 12.00am. Told my luggage was left on the plane that was going to Orlando. Turns out my luggage didn't go to Orlando and was taken off in Louisville. It eventually made its way to Islip the next day. Because of the late arrival and distance from home, I was forced to get a car service at a cost of $120.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by James Moninger    (USA)

I have avoided using Southwest in the past, as I don't like lines, pushing and shoving, or unassigned seating. Nonetheless, after hearing about SWA's Business Select Class, I decided to give them a try. For about $60 more than the walk-up fare, Business Select guarantees the passenger a boarding pass in the A1-A15 group, thus being among the first to board. I was thrilled when I checked in online and received boarding pass A-1. The gate room seemed fairly empty, and Southwest agents were hawking upgrades for $40 to anyone wanting to move up in the short boarding line. Upon boarding the aircraft, I discovered that there were already 90 through passengers already on the airplane. Little overhead space available and mostly middle seats. Although the staff was affable and tried their best, I found this to be an extremely uncomfortable way to travel, and recommend strongly against wasting money for Business Select.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Peter Dandridgee    (USA)

The airline is fine as far as on time, baggage goes through quickly, staff are friendly and helpful. However the boarding procedure (no assigned seats) is just a way to charge people for a reasonable line placement. So when considering flying SW with a family that would like sitting together add from 15 to 40 dollars to the price of a ticket and purchase the upgrade. All and all a fine airline for those flying alone but not family friendly.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by B Elliott    (USA)

Southwest 1696 on April 1st from Baltimore to Denver. By using the rapid rewards debit card we got throughout the year, we are able to take a vacation for no more than $30 each year ($30 is tax). We always check in on the dot of 24 hours before departure, and usually get A or B boarding groups. We love that we get to choose our own seat. The staff are always very friendly, and the new free TV on board every flight is my 2 kids favorite past time.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Neelum Kumar    (USA)

I was horrified by the policy of changing flights at SouthWest. I had a round trip ticket and was able to return home earlier so arrived at Nashville airport 11.30 looking to get on the almost empty 1.20 pm flight. I was informed that I would have to pay $250 to purchase a new ONE WAY ticket home. I paid less than that for the round-trip flight. I did not expect this since I was told that SW was customer friendly and did not charge change fees. No, they just charge you for a whole new ticket instead. I am trapped in Nashville for the next 8.5 hours thanks to their policy.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by K Skip    (USA)

Having flown 45 weeks or so annually and now scaling back, I fly Southwest for both business and pleasure. Southwest is an easy transition. With all the cutbacks and cattle calls that airlines have migrated to, SW at least makes it simple, ABC. If you can't figure that out, sit in the middle. Their gate attendants are knowledgeable, take the same stupid questions over and over yet answer them in a polite manner.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Yolanda Dolby    (USA)

My husband and I will avoid Southwest/AirTran at all costs. Vacation to Cabo, 3/1/14 with connections in Denver. 1 hour late getting off ground in Milwaukee as plane was over weight and they had to kick 8 people off. Late arrival in Denver forced mad rush to gate in different terminal for connection to Cabo. Returning to Milwaukee, 3/10/14, plane was 1 hour late getting in and leaving Cabo, which again created havoc in Denver for connection back to Milwaukee. The absolute kicker is they lost both of our bags going to Cabo (30 hours before returned) and returning to Milwaukee (36 hours before returned). Unbelievable incompetence. Your bags fly free - you just don't know where!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by J Burnam    (USA)

Las Vegas to Richmond, VA. Booked with AirTran, but transported by Southwest from LAS to ATL. Biggest problem I have with Southwest is no seat assignment. That's why I picked AirTran. With Southwest, I feel like I'm treated like cattle and herded through the process of boarding the plane. I believe AirTran has the right approach for boarding. That is, 1) assigned seats and 2) boarding by zones. I can't understand why the general flying public tolerates Southwest's cattle call boarding. Southwest's prices are right, but their anywhere you want seating is for the birds.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Dolby John    (USA)

Vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, scheduled 3/1/14. Boarded in Milwaukee with a connection in Denver. When we arrived at check in we were told the flight had been 'overbooked' by 5 passengers. We received the last 2 boarding passes luckily. Upon being seated and waiting for 15 minutes, the flight attendant announced that the plane was over-weight and 8 passengers would have to leave. It took another 30 minutes to adjust the weight before we took off - 1 hour after schedule. Upon arriving in Denver, an hour late, we had to rush to another terminal to catch our connecting flight to Cabo. Flight to Cabo went on schedule until standing at the luggage carousel our 2 pieces of checked luggage never came out. It was not until 30 hours later, that our luggage finally showed up. On our return, when we checked in at the airport, it was announced that our plane was delayed an hour. Taking off to Denver again, we realized we were facing a potential connect issue again. Once entering the U.S., we needed to go through customs in Denver before boarding our flight to Milwaukee. Once through customs you need to claim your luggage and then recheck it with Southwest/AirTran. We then had to pass through security before racing to another terminal where our gate was located because of late arrival. We boarded the plane and left for Milwaukee arriving at 10pm on-time. We then went to retrieve our luggage and once again our two bags never showed up. It took another 36 hours to get our bags delivered to our home.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by G Hendrick    (USA)

Flew from Nashville-Houston-Dallas last Tuesday. As usual so many people have to bring their suitcases on board with them these days that we leave late. We get to Houston and our connection flight is down, they finally get it fixed and we leave out almost an hour late getting into Dallas only to hear they don't know where our luggage is. We later find out that the plane had a lot of freight so they made us wait an hour for our luggage. I live 8 hours (by car) from Dallas and 2 hours from Nashville. Had I driven to Dallas I would have arrived at my hotel 2 hours before I actually got there by flying. On the return trip our flight from Dallas to St. Louis was late and I had to run to my connecting flight to get there before the door was closing. I think this airline is slipping so I intend to start looking at others after always using Southwest without checking.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by G Carlos    (USA)

Flown from Houston to Las Vegas last week. Everything was good (except lots of passengers were drunk and yelling). Our flight departed on time and arrived 15 min prior to schedule. I had no complaints at all, for the price it was a fair trip. The return flight was delayed 40 min. Whoever is surprised by this obviously doesn't travel a lot by plane. I say for the price their flights are good, don't expect feeling as royalty of course. For short trips (4 hours max.) it's pretty enjoyable.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by E Verhaeven    (Canada)

Feb 2014 - BUF-FLL (return). We booked Southwest mainly because of the price, and I was a little apprehensive about avoiding the dreaded middle and getting a decent aisle seat. We paid an extra fee for their "early bird" check in which, in our case, allowed us to board with the first 25 passengers both outbound and return. It was a 3 hour flight and that's about all of the time I would want to spend in their cramped uncomfortable seating. But for a reasonable short flight, I'd book Southwest again. It's a basic no frills airline with no baggage fees, and it gets you there, albeit not in the most comfortable circumstances.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by William Massey    (USA)

15 minutes before scheduled takeoff gate announces delay. 45 minutes later gate announces mechanical problems and further delays. All passenger were being re-routed. 3 hours later flight is canceled and they offer to get me home tomorrow with no compensation for delay. Its as if they said, "if our planes fly we will take you, if not too bad, there are no guarantees". Finally when I asked to be booked on tomorrow's flight until I could see if I could buy a ticket on another airline, I was told, "if we do we can not refund any of your money because we will have solved your problem".

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Trahey Dorothy    (USA)

Our flight was 20 minutes late taking off because there was a previous flight still at the gate. As soon as the last person walked off, the passengers in wheelchairs were boarded, so obviously there was no time to clean the plane. The washroom was very dirty. Yesterday at 6.15, flight 1957, Ft. Myers to Chicago. Southwest was trying to keep on schedule but please clean the plane.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by D Lee    (USA)

Feb 8th, flight 2178, Orange County to San Francisco. Feb 5th, flight 2962, Denver to Orange County. I travel quite frequently. I rarely have to check any bags but I like having the option to do so for free if I need to. I travel twice/week for the last 2 months and I have never encountered an unpleasant flight attendant, in fact I find them more than amusing. Also as someone who has flight anxiety I feel so secure when flying Southwest.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by S Baker    (USA)

I recently flew round trip from Austin to Sacramento. The boarding process went smooth, no delays, but the flight was very uneventful. The pilot was completely silent the entire flight, the flight attendant rude and very cramped seats. The return flight home was overbooked and at 100%. However, the pilot and attendants, were very pleasant and had a great sense of humor. I would advise that you fill up on food before you fly, as there is no meal service, just peanuts, pretzels, and mini Ritz sandwich crackers. It would be nice though if the pilot would make an announcement once in a while regarding your eta.

1 2 3 4 5 6