Southwest Airlines Passenger Reviews and Southwest Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2012 by Anne Wiggins    (USA)

In the past two weeks I flew Southwest cross country and also another major airline. The contrast between Southwest and this other airline was unreal. Friendly, courteous, organized, on time, generous with baggage check (no fees for first 2), generous with snacks/drinks. The only reason I took another airline in the first place was because Southwest didn't fly to the location I had to visit.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2012 by S Mees    (USA)

We flew Southwest with our 3 young boys. Extremely nervous because my older son is peanut and peanut dust allergic. Flight attendants were aware and made the flight peanut free. Our 1st plane was freshly cleaned, we were able to pre-board. Seats are leather, so made it easier to clean. Our return flight, flight attendants also made sure no peanuts were served, the check-in counter confirmed his allergy was in the system and everyone was aware. We also pre-boarded and on both flights sat in bulkhead seats. Southwest was great, extremely considerate and very professional.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2012 by T Wenger    (USA)

Besides the obvious advantages of reasonable prices, 2 free checked bags, and free coffee, tea, water, soda and snacks on flights, what you need to know about Southwest is that they are almost always on time and quite often arrive early. We have never had a problem with luggage - checked or carried on. Flight staff are pleasant Seats aren't the roomiest ever, but flights aren't that long.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by Bill Rosinger    (USA)

I fly Southwest frequently and until my most recent flight I have been a satisfied customer. Last flight was my first on a plane with their redesigned/reconfigured interior. There is simply less legroom with the new seat configuration. I was cramped and uncomfortable. The seats themselves are very nice but if you are 6 ft or taller you will be uncomfortable. The purpose of this review is to simply give a heads up to people whose height might make a long trip very uncomfortable.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2012 by Meagan Trembath    (Australia)

Recently took 7 Southwest flights within the USA and could not complain about one of them. They don't have select seating but as they are usually short flights, it doesn't matter. All flights were on time and the staff very friendly.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2012 by E Stratter    (USA)

LAS-OMA-LAS. I like flying Southwest, because it's the most hassle-free airline in the US. However the plane I took yesterday was filthy and I am not talking about dirt from the last flight. This dirt was on the carpet and side of seats. Food particles, dried up soda, chewing gum etc. Keeping a cabin clean is easy and should be paramount.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2012 by O Spreadbury    (UK)

Newark-Denver return. Outbound flight on time, checked in easily online and bag drop and boarding was swift. Cabin crew were excellent and very attentive. Complimentary drinks were great and snacks were good. A meal for the 3.5 hour flight would have been more substantial. Flight back was 3 hours late. We checked in online without difficulty. Bag drop and boarding was just as swift and the crew were excellent. Legroom both ways was well above what you get with most low cost airlines.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2012 by B Hess    (USA)

My wife and I recently flew from Newark to Reno via Chicago (Midway) and then Reno to Newark with a connection in Phoenix. The boarding process was simple and quick, flight attendants on all 4 planes were very courteous. Our plane from Phoenix was delayed 15 minutes, however we landed on time. The other 3 flights all landed early. Pleasant experience, highly recommended.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  10 April 2012 by S Spivey    (USA)

Roundtrip between Baltimore and Greenville, SC. Had to leave very early and change in Chicago on the way out, which does not make sense. Dislike the general admission seating cattle call. Some passengers were very rude about it on the return flight. Will be sticking with United or another legacy carrier from here on out. Might pay a little more, but would rather have a more comfortable flight.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2012 by S Koenig    (Brazil)

SMF-ONT. Southwest is the only airline non-stop on this route. Check-in was fairly quick. We paid $10 for early check-in and still weren't near the front of the line, but managed to get emergency row seats. Service was fine. Nothing special, but flight was just an hour long. Flight was on time and our luggage arrived safely.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2012 by Michael Glenn    (USA)

We recently traveled as a family of 4 with children aged 7 and 11. Due to the fact that there is no reserved seating, we were forced to sit in 3 very separate places throughout the plane on both outgoing and incoming flights. Both flights were very miserable. Their rates may be low, but do remember the old adage "you get what you pay for"!

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2012 by K El Mekati    (USA)

Houston to Newark, roundtrip. Two free 50lb checked bags and a carry on and large purse. Staff are friendly, planes always clean and leg room is good. They have been updating their fleet with newer restrooms, cabin interior and wifi. They give free soda, juice, water, and snacks. Charge for alcohol and energy drinks.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2012 by J Crespo    (USA)

IND to MSY with a layover in MCO round trip. Flight attendants had conversations with passengers, which gave all 4 of my flights a friendly atmosphere. All but 1 of my flights arrived early. Make sure you check-in as soon as you can so you aren't stuck with a middle seat.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2012 by K Chinn    (Australia)

LAX-LAS. Flight left/arrived on time. Quick 45 min flight from LA to Vegas, free drink and snack served. Leg room ok as flight was completely full. Southwest allow 2 free checked bags as opposed to most other US airlines who charge for checked baggage.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  27 January 2012 by Liam Walshe    (Canada)

BUF-LAX (via PHX), SAN-SFO, and SFO-BUF (with a stop in MDW along the way). Paid $125 each way between BUF and LAX and between SFO and BUF, and $49 for SAN-SFO. Fare included 2 free checked bags. Excellent value for price paid! All my flights arrived early and were operated by newish 737-700's. All flights (except SFO-BUF) were packed, but I got the bulkhead window seats which were very comfortable. FA's were friendly, especially on the BUF-PHX and MDW-BUF legs. Having Internet on my long return flight made the time fly by, and for the most part it worked very well.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2012 by S Quei    (USA)

SJC to SNA return. I checked in online for both flights early enough to get an "A35" boarding position for both flights, and that was good enough to get seats in an emergency exit aisle, with great legroom. Both flights on time, and flight attendants efficient and friendly. There is no inflight entertainment unless you bring a laptop to use their WiFi and you still get a free soft drink and peanuts/pretzels. Being able to check-in a suitcase for free is fantastic nowadays! I would rate the seat comfort very good.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2012 by Angelo Tzarevski    (South Africa)

Chicago Midway to Boston return. Flights operated by a relatively new 737-700. Both on time. Leg room is generous for a low cost carrier. Flight attendants were polite and efficient. I was allowed to check in two 50lb bags for free and to take a carry-on bag as well. Seats were comfortable and leg room decent, especially for a low cost. We were served a complimentary snack and offered non-alcoholic beverages with free re-fills. Boarding was efficient. My only quirk with Southwest is that they do not have assigned seating, hence getting a preferred seat is tricky, unless you pay the extra $10 and get early boarding. I had not done that but in hindsight I think the extra $10 is well worth it (especially if you want a window seat). I highly recommend Southwest due to their efficiency, friendly staff and complimentary beverages.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  12 January 2012 by P Davis    (Canada)

BUF-TPA return flights on time. B737-700 to Tampa and 737-500 back to Buffalo both quite clean, although B737-500 showing its age.  FA's friendly, especially on the way back to Buffalo.  The extra $10 for early boarding was well worth it on return - ended up with a mid "A" boarding group number and got the Exit seat with about 3 feet of legroom in front - if you're tall, this is the seat you want.   My home airport is Toronto but I'll drive to Buffalo for fares that are generally half the price of flying out of Toronto.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2012 by C McLeod    (USA)

Avoid if you are travelling with children over 4 years of age. My wife, 5 year old son and I were unable to obtain a boarding pass prior to our arrival at the airport, and as a result under Southwest's "open-seat" policy we boarded when only single seats were available. My wife politely asked if any passenger would be willing to move so our son could sit with her and no one responded. The flight attendant did not attempt to assist us despite witnessing our dilemma. Fortunately, a sympathetic passenger finally offered to move to allow my wife to sit with our son. It appears Southwest has decided that 5 year old children are sufficiently mature to sit apart from their parents on 3 hour flights. I recommend that you avoid Southwest if you are flying with children over the age of 4 or your family may be placed in the same position as mine.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  15 December 2011 by D Anthony    (USA)

BOI-SNA round trip. Took my 4 year old son. We had no problems whatsoever on our flights. Connected in Las Vegas heading to SNA, then Phoenix heading back to Boise. Flight from SNA to PHX was overbooked, but since I was travelling with a 4 year old, we got on right after the "A" group. I thought the boarding process was odd and I prefer assigned seating, but I saved so much money on the lack of baggage fees, it was worth it to me. Seats were more comfortable and I had more legroom than on other airlines I've flown. I'd fly SWA again for sure.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  21 November 2011 by D Eidelson    (USA)

SAN-PHX roundtrip. The flight from SAN to PHX was delayed at the gate for 40 minutes in San Diego. The plane, however, was a new refurbished looking 737-700. Very comfortable. The flight back was on an old worn looking 737-300. The flight was a little bumpy to begin with, but it got smoother as we went along. We arrived on time at the gate in SAN. Cabin crew were friendly both ways.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2011 by R Larson    (USA)

DEN-LAX to connect with international flight on another carrier. On-time flight was most important. Staff at check-in, gate and onboard was pleasant and professional. Clean aircraft. Seat pitch comfortable for 6-foot passenger. Fare same as other carriers but "Bags fly free" saved our family $60.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2011 by Sean Symon    (USA)

IND-BWI and BWI-IND. First trip was on a Boeing 737-700 aircraft. Seats a little worn but plane was clean. The flight was rather empty, so had three seats to myself. The crew was okay, prefer flight attendants to be dressed professionally rather than casual. The flight on the way back was full, plane arrived on time in BWI and crew was much better this time round. Plane an older Boeing 737-500 I believe, but it was clean and inviting. I got two drinks and a snack which was quite nice.

Southwest Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2011 by M Ball    (Indonesia)

LAX-MSP-LAX. A bit quirky, typical boarding procedure (line-ups on either side of numbered poles at the gates), smart-alec announcements from both pilots and flight attendants etc. However, a value product: no checked baggage fees, free snacks, coffee and soft drinks, reasonable prices for alcohol. Comfortable seating, accommodating flight attendants, clean airplanes, and dependable service on the ground as well as in the air. All four segments of my trip were packed, crew remained hospitable and efficient.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  21 October 2011 by Rai Kessler    (USA)

Albany to Orlando. Leg room is tight, seats not spacious, but neither are they overly uncomfortable. Service was excellent. Humorous dialogue and an over all sharp wit, one staff member was funny. He alone would make me choose Southwest again, but the airline also provided a good value and pleasant trip overall. Free snacks and beverage was a nice change from some other airlines, as well.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  16 September 2011 by Randy Lin    (USA)

ONT-SMF roundtrip. Overall good flight but they definitely need to add TV's on long haul flights. Anyway good airline and cheerful crew.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  12 September 2011 by K Lee (USA)

Both our flights were on time and we had no hassles or problems. Our flight was only about 2 hrs long, and we were a little crowded (not tons of leg room, etc). I can see where this might be more of a problem for a longer flight, but for us it was fine. The plane, cabin, seats, etc. were nothing fancy but they were perfectly adequate and clean - all we needed for a family trip to Florida. Great value for the price - we had a good experience and will definitely fly Southwest in the future.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  12 September 2011 by S Koenig (Brazil)

DTW-MDW-GSP. Paid extra $10 to get early/priority check-in. Still ended up with boarding numbers in the high 20s. Managed to get one front row and one exit row seat for the first flight, and two exit row seats for the second flight. At DTW, there were lots of passengers in wheelchairs, and a woeful lack of airline personnel available to take them onboard, so boarding took a while. Flight into GSP not only took off on time, but arrived 30 mins early. It is not always the cheapest option, especially if you are adding the $10 earlybird check-in fee, but in this case it worked out fine. Still not sure if I like their boarding system, since it results in our standing up longer than with other airlines.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  8 September 2011 by Gail Taffet (USA)

Raleigh to Newark via Baltimore Washington. Had great seats on each flight with friendly crews. Nice experience with smooth trips.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  7 September 2011 by S McLaughlin (New Zealand)

My first time flying domestically in the USA, LAS-LAX on a $39 fare. I did online check-in the day before and was in the second boarding group. Got a row to myself. Check-in process well organised, all automated at the kiosk and then your name is called to drop off your bag at a counter. Flight attendants cheerful for the early hour, impressed with being allowed 2 checked bags free.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  10 August 2011 by L Wyatt (USA)

I am 16 years old and recently travelled with Southwest, by myself. I was nervous as this was only my second time flying. I flew SAT to BWI return. I found all of the staff to be courteous, and the pilot made regular announcements. Even though there was a delay at BWI the staff kept everyone informed, they quickly boarded us and flight actually was shorter than expected. I liked the open seating, by paying the extra $10 for early check in, I was in the first boarding group, and got a window seat on both flights.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  6 August 2011 by W Marks (USA)

I have flown over 100 flights on Southwest and have not had a bad flight. Back in the old days when the first in line got to board first, we always arrived early to get the best seats. Now that Southwest issues boarding numbers, we always pay the extra $10 to get priority boarding. The system of having no assigned seats is much more efficient and gets the plane off the ground much faster. Like many others, I am disappointed that the Rapid Rewards Program has changed. It was a very generous program, now it is similar to most of their competitors.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  3 August 2011 by K O'Sullivan (UK)

Tampa-New Orleans. First time on a US low- cost, good price for tickets. Cabin crew friendly, flight crew professional. I was impressed with the seat pitch in Economy for a short sector on B737. I am 6 ft 2 inch but was comfortable compared with Transatlantic B777. I always prefer preselection of seating and not sure why SW are averse. I would happily pay a supplement.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  1 August 2011 by P Falzarano (USA)

First time with Southwest as they have only recently begun servicing Newark. EWR-SAN connecting in PHX and Chicago-Midway. Booked hotel and rental car as well. Very pleased with the over all experience. Everything was exactly as stated. I enjoyed the extra inch of legroom compared to my usual airline (Continental). Flight attendants friendly and helpful with frequent offerings of refreshments and snacks. I would like to see them expand their Newark service because I would use them any day.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  30 July 2011 by Eike Jens (USA)

Southwest avoids punishing customers with extra fees, such as change, cancellation, or bag check fees where possible. If you happen to check your bags late, they will accept them and try their best to get them on the plane, often faster than you can make it to the gate. If it's too late to check the bags, they will place them on the next flight. A-List membership allowed me to bypass check-in and security lines and get preferred boarding, almost always resulting in 'first class' seating in the emergency exit row. Companion Pass allowed me to travel around the country with a good friend on the weekends I wasn't commuting, for a whole year. Personalized birthday and holiday cards were also nice touches.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  29 July 2011 by A Johnson (USA)

It's very little hassle, flights are almost always on time, customer service is great. I enjoy the occasional jokes over the PA, and the creative ways of doing the safety briefing. I like the first come-first seated policy. In terms of their cabins, I find that they have good leg room, that's a big selling point for me, at 6'2.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  29 July 2011 by C Tirrell (USA)

My wife and I have flown Southwest often in the past. We've watched the past couple years as Southwest has made cutbacks and the value of their service has declined. Our primary frustration with Southwest comes from a recent flight where we were abandoned in the Denver airport. We arrived at our departure gate in Austin to find the plane running late. When we landed in Denver I checked our connection to see that it was boarding. We arrived to see they had closed the door. We were frustrated that they wouldn't hold the plane for a few minutes to allow connecting passengers to board. We spent the night in a chilly airport and offered no dinner or breakfast voucher.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  27 July 2011 by J Segal (USA)

PHX-GEG roundtrip. Stop in OAK each way, with change of planes outbound. Good trip, all flights on time. Seats comfortable, FA's were friendly. Only complaint would be collecting bag in PHX upon return. Took over 45 mins at when only 3-4 other flights there. Apparently the conveyor belt kept jamming, but they stopped/started no less than 4 times before it was spitting out bags so fast everyone was having issues getting their bags off the belt.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  26 July 2011 by M Cunningham (USA)

I loved the fact that their system for boarding a plane uses physical structure as well as simple written and verbal directions. It's very effective. I liked that I could choose from multiple snacks and take multiple bags if I wanted. The stewardesses were very friendly.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  26 July 2011 by Debbie Barakat (Australia)

Will use this airline again when travelling in the US. We flew San Diego to Las Vegas and SW was the only one that offered a direct flight at less than half the price and as a family of 7 we got to sit together. The flight attendants were very friendly.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  23 July 2011 by Joe Dow (USA)

In the past I have always been very happy with Southwest however after today I am extremely upset. I had purchased a ticket of which I was not able to use. They were able to extend the unused ticket for 1 year. Today I called to attempt to use the ticket only to find out that I will not be able to use the credit as my trip is 2 weeks beyond the 1 year mark. I called customer service to request an extension ($50.00 fee of which I would happily pay). I am told that I have to wait for the credit to expire prior to their ability to extend the credit. I would then take the risk of not being able to get the flights I need for my upcoming trip. Poor Customer Service Southwest.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  12 July 2011 by J Fenston (USA)

Never flying Southwest again. Their boarding/seating process is horrible and needlessly stressful; their "new hip" thing among flight staff is really annoying. My fiancé and I flew across the country to get married last weekend. Of course, we wanted to sit together on the 5 hour flight. But with the ridiculous system of no assigned seats there was no way to assure this. On the way back we got stuck in separate seats, surrounded by a yelling and singing boy scout troop. To make things worse, the flight attendants cranked up the volume on the PA system and sang the safety demonstration. In fact, all announcements were done in song. This should be illegal. They seemed to think it was clever, but it was a real nightmare to be strapped into one of those tiny seats, surrounded by pimply screaming boy scouts, and then endure warbling flight attendants blasting through the overhead speakers. A truly horrible airline. I will pay double, triple, quadruple to avoid flying Southwest. I will walk or crawl across the country rather than fly with these people.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  7 July 2011 by K Strait (USA)

This was my first time flying Southwest. I've used United an Delta most other times and now I know why. There is absolutely no room on these planes. your knees are all but touching the seat in front of you and the seats are way too small. I weigh 128lbs and I was very uncomfortable. I was hot and miserable. The captain never spoke to us during the flight. I've never had that happen with any other airline.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  1 July 2011 by J Butler (USA)

I fly Southwest all the time, but this particular trip was not so great! I found a really cheap flight with a 1 hr layover, which turned into a 3 hr layover. Because my original flight destination time was so late, a 3 hr layer had me arriving at 2am, when all public transportation (which I use) has ended. I think I should have been compensated for my transportation to the city.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  29 June 2011 by S London (USA)

As a former Northwest/Delta Airlines customer (exclusively), I may be easier to impress. Southwest recently started direct flights between Phoenix and Minneapolis. We purchased tickets in May at what we considered to be very reasonable fare for a roundtrip to celebrate our grandson's second birthday in Minneapolis. My father passed away two weeks prior to our scheduled departure. I called SW seeking assistance. After a brief discussion regarding the circumstances and flight availability the associate announced a fee of $783.00. With the shortest of pauses (I was choosing an appropriate reaction) he asked me to hold while he consulted with a Customer Care agent. A few more questions resulted in a change in three of the four legs of our trip for a total cost of $10.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  26 June 2011 by M Cymbalak (Australia)

I flew SouthWest a number of times between US cities, and really like the product they offer. It is low cost and I didn't experience any hidden surprises. I also like the no fuss nature, the airplane comes in, people get off, the next lot get on, and it takes off again. It’s great if you just want to get from A to B. The two checked bag allowance is a win, as I arrived in the US on an international flight with 2 bags so it was helpful to have these included without additional cost (as many/all other US airlines charged). I will continue to fly SouthWest when I visit the US.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  24 June 2011 by E Phelps (USA)

I've been a Rapid Rewards member since 2000, and have spent time on the A-List (but not there currently.) SWA has consistently been above and beyond all other airlines I've flown (AMR, Delta, Continental) for customer service, and they are much more likely to be on-time and not pulling booking shenanigans. Transparency on the (minimal) fees is a giant plus.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  11 June 2011 by J Britt (USA)

I fly SouthWest constantly - they aren't perfect, but employees are cheerful, legroom and storage room at your feet is better than other airlines, bags are free, and there are no change fees if you need to change a flights.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  7 June 2011 by Bruce Woodward (USA)

I am done with Southwest. I just got screwed by the inability to change a passenger just like so many others recently. The agent said they have been telling people about this for some time. News to me. As soon as I can arrange it I'm paying off my Southwest credit card and sending it and my rapid rewards card to them in pieces.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  1 June 2011 by J Webber (USA)

Extremely disappointed in Southwest's recent changes to the policy on the inability to change a passenger name once the ticket has been purchased. I bought a ticket for an employee before this policy took effect who was not able to make the trip. Since then, SW started supposedly "enforcing a policy that has been in place" without any sort of notification. Now, I'm out almost $500 because they won't refund the ticket or allow me to use the credit for another passenger - even if it's just transferred to my name. Their reason when I filed a complaint? "a proactive step to align our business with the general practice of the airline industry" So it seems SW is, in fact, purposefully intending to become just another airline. The really upsetting part is that only a week or two earlier, another trip for an employee had to be cancelled and I was able to use the flight credit for someone else. Suddenly, I can't. No notification at all. I get emails just about every other day from SW advertising their "get- away" deals; couldn't they have simply sent out an email letting us know their policy was going to go into effect? I was an extremely loyal SW customer, but they've lost my business for good. I know I'm only one of many people this has affected - they told me as much when I called to complain.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  22 May 2011 by Kasi Franck (USA)

Terrible customer service. I purchased tickets for my employees to take a trip in October 2011 and one of the employees can no longer go. This trip has been planned 5 months in advance. Southwest will not let anyone else use the ticket even though we gave 5 months notice. They would not allow any name transfers. Only the named employee could use the ticket no else could go in her place. They would only refund if they were given a copy of a death certificate of the employee.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  20 May 2011 by D Fenske (USA)

Travelled SW for the first time because my son gave me and my husband SW giftcards so we booked a trip to Vegas. We paid the extra $10. each was for early bird seating, we got A section between 15 and 30, that was good. I think if you are flying as a couple it is worth the extra so you can sit together. I hear some people are saving seats for their partner, which I find to be cheap. Anyway, to and from Vegas we had good flights, I liked choosing my seat. I will fly SW again as long as SW stays with limited extra fees. I used to fly Continental only, but they have imposed more fees than I care to read about. Keep up the good work SW and we will stay loyal to you.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  19 May 2011 by Luke Smith (UK)

Boston to Norfolk, via Baltimore, early morning. Boston to Baltimore fine, but probably only because the flight was nearly empty, and I could sleep. Legroom better than on other legacy carriers. Baltimore to Norfolk a horror. A very loud stewardess with a grating Southern accent spent the whole flight on the PA, yelling about seatbelts, how no drinks would be served due to turbulence (there was no turbulence), how no one could get out of his seat due to turbulence (there was no turbulence), how cute all the screaming babies onboard were, and lastly, in signature creepy Americana, how there were soldiers or something onboard so to give them a loud round of applause for their service. So loud applause and the obnoxious, loud flight crew prevented me from getting any sleep on the flight. I understand Southwest has a particular style - a kitsch-laden, obnoxious style. It's not for me. At least the bags were free.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 May 2011 by A Morris (USA)

Service was good out of PBI, plane looked a little tired but seats comfortable. Upon arriving in BWI, connecting flight to LGA was delayed 2.5 hrs. They need to improve their LGA service. Got there, but late. Still a great airline.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 May 2011 by L Geri (UK)

A mixed-bag trip from Seattle to Washington Dulles . On the plus side, I had to change my itinerary at the last minute and was able to do so on Southwest at minimal cost. Flight out was uneventful. Flight back terrible, I was stuck in Midway after a Dulles delay the airline stated was a mechanical problem, but they refused to provide a hotel voucher. I had to find and pay for my own hotel. The gate agent was very rude.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  17 May 2011 by Alberto Robayo (USA)

Is Southwest becoming too big? It used to be one of the few airlines I could rely on for great customer service and quality. But it seems that with the acquisition of Airtran they also acquired the bad habits of big airlines. My last trip with them was a headache that cost me $500. I got stuck in Chicago for one night and received attitude from the crew when I tried to address the issue. It is great that they don't charge for luggage but I'm curious to see how long that is going to last.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  8 May 2011 by Patrick Lenahan (USA)

Beware, more and more Southwest is just another airline. Latest casualty is the previously elegant Rapid Rewards program, which used to be 16 credits=1 free flight virtually no restrictions. It has now devolved into just another points system with ever more restrictions. During the transition they are still using Awards which was the mechanism by which you reaped the reward of a free flight. But do not convert points into an award - if you do so mistakenly you will never get them converted back into points. Found this out trying to book a flight by converting to award first which was akin to the previous protocol, but the flight had "no" award seats available. You could buy a seat with your points, but after conversion to award I didn't have enough points available, and Southwest has made their system physically incapable of correcting the conversion, not even during this period of new learning for their customers. They make no statement that I could find that such conversions are irrevocable. In other words, if you make a mistake, too bad - you can pay for a ticket, but Southwest won't help you correct your points v. award error and you have to wait for another flight within the coming year to use it. Yes, the award expires, though the points do not while you continue to generate trip activity.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  30 April 2011 by D Smyth (New Zealand)

New Orleans to Las Vegas and Las Vegas to SFO. Excellent experience on both journeys, friendly staff, on time departures and bags free. I don't understand the benefit of open seating policy but that is the only thing I didn't like. I did however pay $10 extra for early bird-check in and got an "A" pass between 15-20 both times. Early-bird check in automatically checks you in 24 hours before the flight thus increasing your chances of an "A" boarding pass. In retrospect I would only do this for longer flights when it really does help if you can avoid that middle seat.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  28 April 2011 by B Atwood (USA)

Travelled Southwest for the first time round trip Manchester Phoenix. Cannot understand the open seating "gimmick" this airline uses. On the return trip we were not able to participate in the competition to call within 24 hours and get an "earlier" boarding assignment as we were travelling in a remote area with no cell coverage. Therefore as we were among the last to board we (and many other couples) were not able to sit together. The flight attendants "helped" by continuing to instruct us to just "find a seat, single seats only available". We ended up separated by 20 rows. The reason for this practice must have something to do with saving the airline money because there is no apparent benefit for passengers. But the on line seat selection process that all the other airlines use is obviously computerized and can't cost much if anything to oversee, so why does Southwest do this?? Certainly feels like one of those brilliant ideas the management team comes up with that blindly ignores the needs of some passengers. Won't fly Southwest again.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  27 March 2011 by N Shyshkin (Canada)

TPA-MSY. I love the fact how the first and second bag are free - and they gave us our boarding passes and took our luggage away when we were still outside. The boarding and seating was a bit crazy but managed well. The small snacks were nice and great service.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  23 March 2011 by F Bowden (USA)

The service is about the same you would get at a decent restaurant, seats are soft, snacks are tasty, no entertainment, but no big deal. The flight was smooth and enjoyable. When we were in Baltimore, our plane got delayed by a storm in Panama city Florida. At least our bags were free!

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  14 March 2011 by Margaret Wertz (USA)

Baltimore to Buffalo. We were very concerned about being able to deal with my mothers handicaps. From entering the airport in Baltimore to meeting our pick up in Buffalo Southwest was extremely helpful throughout the entire trip and made us very comfortable in our travel. I was very anxious about taking my mother on this trip and they truly came through for us. Thank you Southwest.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  1 March 2011 by J Nicklasson (USA)

After flying several other airlines to/from locations Southwest does not serve, I am reminded how great Southwest's business model truly is. They are reliable, honest, easy to work with, friendly and make travel less stressful. I try to fly Southwest to ensure I don't battle the stress of other airlines.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  25 February 2011 by T Erickson (USA)

Manchester (MHT) to Norfolk (ORF) Business select. Multiple children and elderly on the flight, but it was vacation week. Flight took off late, landed on time. I would not pay the 225% extra for the BS fare versus the wanna get away fare due to what you receive for that increase, but work takes care of it as it is for business. The free drinks are nice, even on short hops form BWI to ORF in BS. Only major complaint to Southwest Airlines, do not board anyone ahead of Business select class unless they pay the same fare or please place them in rows 4 and up. When you pay $230 for Business select, you should board the plane before anyone else, especially if they only paid ~$89 for their ticket.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  30 January 2011 by J Brownjohn (UK)

Midway to Washington on very full and very cramped aircraft in cramped seats. I would not care to sit like that for more than a couple of hours. It's efficient, cheap and easy to use and fine if you are of slim build.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  28 January 2011 by L Smith (USA)

Select Cabin

Baltimore to Boston. As soon as my flight was cancelled during the recent blizzard, the agent confirmed me on a flight leaving in 5 minutes to Providence RI, while the gate agents for the Providence flight held the flight for me. The flight to Providence RI still arrived pretty much on time, despite the blizzard. Southwest delivered my bags to my door the next day. Everyone was courteous, from check-in to arrival. I thought this was excellent service, and much better than service I have gotten on the major airlines when things go wrong. Also, no fees for bags, no fees for drinks and pretzels onboard, and I hear there are no change fees on this airline, either.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  28 January 2011 by B Hryn (Poland)

MDW-BDL-MDW. Checkin was fast and so was boarding, nice B737. FA's talkative, nice low cost airline where bags fly free. Seats comfortable, typical American snacks served.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  24 January 2011 by Glenda Bellio (USA)

Denver to San Jose and back. Did not mind grabbing whatever seat as I felt it brought out the best in most people. The staff was friendly, seats were for the most part comfortable. All but the back row as those seats do not recline. The only real issue I had was that when we checked in to leave San Jose our tickets, Picked up at terminal, read gate 22 as well as the board. Yet some time between then and the flight the gate had changed to 23. If I had not struck up a conversation with the gentleman setting near me I would have not know until I had missed my flight. My suggestion is with your computer system you should know if a passenger has checked in before a gate change. Please make an announcement at the old gate of the change.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 January 2011 by K Rogers (USA)

MDW-MCO-MDW. Traveled with the family for a quick Disney vacation. Flight out on time and even with kids had no problem sitting together. On return we took advantage of the Southwest off airport check-in location in Lake Buena Vista so got the bags checked and boarding pass and even though the flight was delayed on the return we only had to get to the airport 45 minutes before our flight and were able to go straight to the gate.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 January 2011 by J Sabaduquia (USA)

Southwest Airlines LGA-BWI-LGA, all flights on-time. FAs very friendly and talkative, free drinks is always appreciated. Free checked-in bags (2) compared to other airlines that will nickel and dime you for everything. Plane was clean, boarding was fast and efficient. Wonderful airline, excellent customer service from ground crew to flight crew.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 January 2011 by J Cole (USA)

PIT-LAX Was a little leery about flying across the country with Southwest (usually use it to fly across Pennsylvania), but decided to give it a try because I absolutely refuse to pay an airline to carry a bag. I was not at all disappointed. The good service I had received on short trips was even better on the longer flight. Snacks were fine, the personnel was kind (something it is difficult to say for the legacy carriers), and the seats were comfortable. I booked a flight recently to the West Coast and, once again, chose Southwest.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  17 January 2011 by Kelly Garcia (USA)

TUL-SAT-TUL Go this route often, mostly because of price, but will continue to use. Day before Christmas Eve, less than 48 hours after my mother passed away, 6:00am flight, mind in a fog, I left my cell phone at the baggage check in SAT. Went through long security line, sat down at the gate and realized it was missing. Told the gate agent who quickly phoned down to the baggage desk to ask if it was there - and it was! Flight boarding, time running out, and agent from the baggage desk RAN it down to the gate, as I would have never made it back through security again. Now that's customer service.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  17 January 2011 by Mike Green (USA)

SAN to ELP return (through PHX). Having flown SWA for years there is great comfort in understanding the boarding process and open seating. The flight crews are professional and engaging, service is well done with a selection of soft-drinks, wine, beer, and juices and sometimes a choice of peanuts or pretzels. There is one non-stop flight each day both ways on this route and choices of flights to SAN through LAS and occasionally ALB. SWA is reliable and accommodating with a simple and straightforward business model.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  9 January 2011 by S Neill Bell (USA)

DEN-LAS return. Bags do fly free. Online check in is fine. Bag drop at Denver fast enough for those checked-in. Swift flight down. Soft drinks & peanuts handed out. OK in flight magazine. Uneventful. Return journey was terrible. 6am flight. Checked in OK but no staff appeared until 4.45am, by which time a massive queue had formed. We hardly had time to get a snack before boarding but then had to wait on the plane for other late folk. Laughable. I can see where they save money: reduce staffing. Arrived in Denver OK but really, it is quite a flimsy airline as the service in Las Vegas shows.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  5 January 2011 by S Queirolo (USA)

San Jose (SJC) to Santa Ana (SNA) return. For both flights, checking in on-line 24 hours before each flight got me an "A25" or better boarding pass, and on both flights I was able to get a window seat on the over-wing emergency exit row, with lots of leg room. On the flight to SNA, the flight attendant spent quite a bit of time going over the emergency exit procedures, which I think was a great example of how this airline can be both professional (take care of serious business) and laid back (announcements are usually quite funny and entertaining!). Soft drinks and peanuts served on these 1-hour flights, and two suitcases checked in, free.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  3 January 2011 by Philip Ellis (UK)

My teenage daughters and I flew SouthWest San Diego - Vegas return. We found them to be brilliant, and far better than their European equivalents - easyjet and Ryanair. We checked in online as soon as the 24 hour window opened, boarded amongst the first passengers - thus avoiding the scramble, and able to sit together. The boarding process is far smoother than in Europe and although the flight was only an hour long, we were served complimentary soft drinks and peanuts/pretzels. The outward flight was on time, and return delayed 20 mins or so. The cabin crew were courteous and friendly, and safety announcements were light hearted and funny, but got the message across - we probably paid more attention to these humorous announcements than we would have to the regular dry offerings. The flights (pre booked in September) were good value and we would have no hesitation in flying SouthWest again.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  31 December 2010 by Ed Lebeau (USA)

Southwest is at best a fair weather friend. My latest trip has been an epic debacle with poor customer relations, shoddy baggage handling, and a consistent and frustrating choice by this airline to make no effort whatsoever to get me home. Flying Southwest is like driving a car without insurance - ok until something goes wrong. And when something does go wrong, Southwest will do nothing to make it right, unlike better airlines. Customer loyalty means nothing to this airline as well.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  19 December 2010 by John Clift (UK)

DEN-SLC, very late booking less than 12 hours before flight left a good fare and no hassle. Flight was full but crew provided service with a smile. If you follow their booking system, you cannot fault them at all. Compared to legacy carriers within the US, Southwest are the best.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  12 December 2010 by Kim Ash (USA)

My husband has been unemployed a while and we were wondering how we were going to get my daughter a plane ticket to come home for Christmas. Southwest Airlines have really fair prices, their website is customer friendly. When we found my daughter's situation had changed and she would be able to come home earlier, it was very easy to change her flight online - and Southwest didn't charge a big fee to change the ticket. Only a few dollars that was the higher price of the new ticket.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  25 November 2010 by C Smith (USA)

As a young inexperienced traveler, I relied on our travel agent to recommend the best airline for our honeymoon. She recommended Southwest as the best. We book at a reasonable rate for the holiday season as soon as tickets became available. Everything was good to go until we got our tickets with no seat number. We ended up being one of the last people on the plane with only a few middle seat left scattered across the plane when we got on. Then we saw an open pair together, only to be rudely told by a stewardess that they were reserved in case another family boarded. I politely said how about a new family, we just got married. She rudely said no, find a seat and turned around. Luckily a kind man gave us his seat so we could sit together but the rest of the trip we full of rude comments from the stewardess about how she couldn't believe he moved!

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  18 November 2010 by R Harrison (USA)

We were forced to change our scheduled departure from New Orleans because my partner became seriously ill. We departed New Orleans three days early. We paid $200.00 in additional fees for the flight rescheduling which to me was acceptable by today's rules. I asked Southwest for a refund of the Early Bird Seating fee ($20.00) sending them the hospital and rescheduling documentation. Southwest called and said they would refund $200.00 because of the medical emergency - said they did not believe in taking advantage of their customers. I have always found Southwest Airlines to be fair, honest, and customer friendly which is why I stay with them.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  11 November 2010 by B Rothblum (USA)

My original ticket from Palm Beach Florida to Denver Colorado was screwed up through American Airlines. They wanted to charge me $900 to fix it. I was trying to figure out something to do and ended up talked to agents at SWA and without a thought, they started working the problem for me. By the end of the it, I had a ticket for $400 and was set to go! They took care of everything and I was on my way before I knew what to do.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  29 October 2010 by J Foulk (USA)

More and more disenchanted with Southwest. Used them three times this summer and the experience got worse each time. Southwest check in and other representatives rude. No wonder the bags fly free, Southwest has no intention of taking reasonable care with them. Now we have discovered that they make you sign a waiver saying that they aren't responsible if your golf clubs don't arrive at your destination or if they are damaged in transit. Also on our last two flights the attendants made the safety briefing into a real joke and didn't even complete it properly. It is nice to try to make flying fun, but I think that they are crossing the line. Not all customers are frequent flyers who are familiar with the safety aspects of a plane. They used to be my favorite airline, but not anymore. They are not always the least expensive and definitely lack customer service.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES customer review :  12 October 2010 by Mary Thomm (Canada)

Score 10out of 10

Phoenix to Detroit. Very good service. Had a toddler travelling with us and check-in was super efficient. It took less than five minutes and we were off with our boarding passes. I travel Southwest at least once a month and I will continue to travel with them, even if their prices increase.

1 2 3 4 5 6