Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Rob Varacchi    (USA)

Standard

Spirit sucks you in with an extremely low fare and then hits you with baggage fees, seat fees, taxes upon taxes, so that by the time you get your total, you could have flown just about any other airline. They brag how they've added more seats so that means more passengers to keep fares low. What they don't tell you is that they moved the seats closer together to get more room for the extra seats. I'm neither a tall or a fat person but my knees were pressed into the seat in front of me and the tray table was digging into my stomach. Not that I really needed the tray table, they don't even give you water without charging some outrageous price. The seats are extremely tight and it's like sitting on a piece of wood. It was very difficult to make my 5.5 hour flight. By the time everything was added in, my original airfare almost doubled.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by David Levy    (USA)

Standard

I paid more for a bag and a "seat" than the ticket itself. Why buying a ticket is somehow not enough to buy a seat on the plane is too deeply offensive to discuss. But believe it or not you have to pay more money to get a "seat". Welcome to Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by D Witman    (USA)

New Airbus 320, clean and comfortable. On time both down and back. Seats comfortable, non-reclining but no less space than any other airline. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great pay-for-what-you-use model. Three round trips between Boston and Ft. Myers for about $750 total counting some of the extras people complain about. Here is the secret for Spirit - read completely and fully understand how it all works before you click "purchase." Most complaints seem to come from people who do not pre-purchase what they want or need and show up at the airport wholly unprepared. Yes, they do sock you with outrageous fees if you are one of the great unwashed masses who can't seem to get out of your own way. Before purchasing, select your seat, choose how you will take luggage and pay for it at the time you book and pay for your flight. Check in online before you go to the airport. No surprises. We fly a lot, mostly on Southwest, which we love, and I did not notice much difference - except the price and less inane humor from the flight attendants. We had a great round trip flight and will consider taking Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Ivonne Sola    (USA)

Flight 171 - December 8, 2013. I used Spirit to travel to NY from FTL on December 2013 thinking that their price was affordable. To my surprise when I got to the airport and tried to get my on board tickets they charged me $25 per seat assignment, so if I wanted to seat next to my husband we had to pay $50. To that they charged for carry ons $45. So add to your airline ticket another $70 per person each way for a total of $140 each. The seats were very uncomfortable and very thin with no cushion. They have the pre-reclined seats and they are stiff, not to mention you have no leg room at all. We tried seating near the emergency door so my husband could have more leg room and that would have been better. I will definitely avoid traveling with Sprit. When you add all the hidden rates they charge you they are not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Lu Henley    (Virgin Islands)

We flew from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale on 12/30 and aside from the extremely rude ticket agent who informed me that the carry-on which I pre-paid for online was a personal item and not have to be charged, yet could not give me a refund or a credit for my return flight, aside from the fact that the flight was delayed leaving, aside from the fact that the flight attendants wouldn't even give me 1 cup of water to give to my toddler and I had to pay $3 for a bottle of water, the flight from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale was pleasant. On the day we were returning to St. Thomas from Ft. Lauderdale, the ticket agent was a little rude, but helpful. Flight was delayed yet again for almost an hour. We get on the plane and were in the very last row. We get to St. Thomas and we go to baggage claim and wait for bags. We go to Spirit's counter and no one is there. After about 30 minutes a young lady appears and I ask her about the bags. I explain that we were told the bags were done but my bags aren't there nor are the bags of all the other passengers behind me. She doesn't even apologize for the inconvenience. Waited 2 hours at baggage and then another 2 hour process to do a lost luggage claim. Of course, the flight returning our bags was delayed.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by J Buchanan    (USA)

Standard

We booked return Portland to San Diego. This was the first segment and the plane had to be brought back to the gate, everyone leaves and they reboot the computer. The flight left 2 hours late. As we manoeuvred into the seats (with a whole 28" between rows), the stewardess mentions the floatation device beneath the seat cushion. However, in the event of a water landing, there is no way anyone could ever get to those devices. Everything has an additional charge. The return trip was also 2 hours late. Finally, just before landing, we were given the option of signing up for a credit card for which we would be given enough miles for six trips. There were five adults in our party, which would give us 30 trips - but why in the world would we ever want to do that?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Dave Streit    (USA)

Standard

I fly from Chicago to Dallas frequently and once on the flight, service is generally good but nowhere near great. Seems rather clear that the company does not put customer service first in it's training and is focused, instead, on maximizing the income generated from each passenger. My biggest problem is the poor attitude of the check-in staff at DFW airport. There is a women who protects the gate opening to the ticket counters who should not be employed anywhere let alone in a customer facing role. I wanted to get a seat re-assignment which could not be done at a terminal and i was questioned and probed as if I was up to no good. The low ticket prices are the only reason why one should select this carrier and should do so knowing what other costs you may incur.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by L Stanton    (USA)

Standard

Just completed a round trip from BWI to Las Vegas. The service at Spirit was as I expected. I anticipated that Spirit was like the Greyhound of air carriers. For your discounted ticket you get the seat you will ride in and the storage space under the seat. If your personal items will not fit in this space you will be charged for a carry-on bag which is $100 at the time of boarding. The Spirit webpage has the baggage policy which clearly explains the weight and measurement restrictions. Checked baggage is $30 each and carry on is $35 if purchased prior to the start of boarding. Boarding passes should be printed prior to arrival at the airport to avoid a charge to use Spirit's printer. I did some research on the seating on the plane i was booked on and found that the seat spacing is the tightest in the industry. I opted to purchase an exit row seat which was well worth the $25 each way. Even with the additional costs for amenities I saved at least $100 on airfare compared to other carriers providing service from BWI to LAS. I would fly Spirit again tomorrow if needed. If you like having free drink service, pillows and blankets then Spirit is not for you. Spirit is a no frills airline but they got me to my destination and back safely and on time. Most of the complaints I heard while on this trip were by people who paid for a flight on an airline and assumed they knew what they were buying. If you take the time to understand what you are buying Spirit is a bargain.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Garry Troxtell    (USA)

Standard

12/30/2013 to 1/3/2014. Flights 469 and 470. Flights from Dallas to Las Vegas went off without a hitch. Las Vegas to Dallas, great flight. All in all I would definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by A Silberstein    (USA)

Standard

I traveled to NY in December of 2013 and although the flight out was fine and on time, the flight back was cancelled and no flights were available for several days, I ended up purchasing a one way ticket from Southwest which was one counter down for a full fare and made it back that night. Spirit never offered a refund or any compensation for cancelling a flight and not accommodating Last night my daughter was supposed to fly back from Florida to Chicago, her flight was first delayed then finally cancelled. Again the airline did not offer any help and the first flight available they offered was 3 days later! which is outrageous! We found another flight on Spirit with available seat but the airline refused to allow the use of that seat and at best after demanding to talk to a supervisor we were told that non are available for 2 hours (which is after the flight departs). Needless to say we are so disappointed with this airline that we will never recommend for anyone to fly with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by P Fukuda    (USA)

Standard

I am a frequent traveler both international and domestic. I have used almost every major airline out there. Spirit Airlines is by far the worst I have flown. There is not a single positive thing I can say about them. I bought their ticket (Los Angeles to Lima, Peru) because it was the cheapest. However, they have so many hidden fees that it ends up being the most expensive option. During the 6 hour flight, the seats were dirty with crusted food. I was thirsty so I asked for a cup of water. They told me they would charge me $5 and would only accept card. I told them I didn't have a card, only cash. The stewardess had the audacity to say she could only offer me a cup of ice for free. I find their hidden fees to be outrageous. ($50 charge to check in a bag. 40 lb limit instead of 50 which is the standard. They charge another extra $25 for every 5 lb you are over the limit).

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax