Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by A Anderson    (USA)

Standard

I paid an additional $100 on departure, and $40 on the return. I read the rules, and attempted to interface with the website! I cannot find one positive review. Unfortunately, my wife and I elected to participate in a "Mystery Deal," and drew Spirit. Had we known it was Spirit in advance, we would have passed. Spirit really is the Greyhound Bus of the sky. If one voluntarily books a flight on Spirit Airlines, he/she is a glutton for punishment, or has very low expectations.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by M Howell    (USA)

Standard

Flew to Vegas with my family (10 of us), it was my first time flying with Spirit, I was always used to a 50 lb limit on our checked bag but with Spirit it was 40 so that was $50 bucks each way not including the $30 each way for the checked bag to begin with. $10 for each reserved seat so I could sit with my husband, which I had to upgrade coming home to $18 a seat because on the way there we were so cramped our knees were literally touching the seat in front on us for 5.5 hours. I have never been so uncomfortable on a plane. Then, when I asked for a water the flight attendant told me it was $3 and they do not accept cash. My tickets were roughly $650, after all the up charges it came to about $866. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Pam Braden    (USA)

I am not sure how this airline stays in business except for people like me who have never flown with them before - I booked my trip at the last minute to see my first grand child. I went through Kayak who promotes them greatly. The fare was very good and I have flown SW Airlines and understand the cheap airlines. In total my flights were over 5 hours delayed - cheap and you get what you pay for!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by C Gonzalez    (USA)

Standard

GUA to FLL. Our flight was delayed 2 hours with no explanation. When we did finally board, we were delayed yet another hour because there was a tray table that out of order. They brought on a "mechanic" who began wrapping packing tape around the seat to secure the tray table. When that didn't work he began trying to screw the table into the attached seat, to the dismay of passengers. Most alarming was that the lavatory was out of order so the flight staff announced we should use the airport restrooms before we boarded. Turns out there was one lavatory working but there was no toilet paper! The seats were filthy and old and there were crumbs and dirty piles on the floor. Water costs $3 a glass. Overall this was one of the worst experiences of my adult life.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by L Erickson    (USA)

Big

Was supposed to fly back from Los Cabos to Dallas yesterday. Arrived 3 hours early (noon). Was told upon check in that flight was delayed 2 hours and we would be leaving about 5pm. Mechanical problems. Hours go by. They change gates but don't tell any of the customers. We noticed it on the board. Finally about 5pm Spirit personnel are at the gate, told delay is now 8pm. Then 10 minutes later, they announce plane will be there in 10 minutes and we will board in about 25 minutes. Unfortunately, there were about 5 couples who left, probably to get drinks or whatever. We sat in the plane almost 2 hours waiting for these people to return. I'm not picky, I know things happen, I am not hard to please, but this is truly the most awful airline experience ever.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Derek Kruse    (USA)

Standard

The flight attendants are rude and not courteous at all. They said on both flights that their credit card machines were broken and only accepted cash for drinks. I am 5'7" tall and my knees were almost touching the seat in front of me, I feel bad for anyone taller! This is the worst airline I have used and will never use them again. The planes are old. I rode in the big seats on the way to my vacation and they are old and look like they never get cleaned. Pay the extra money and use a different airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Marilyn Springer    (USA)

Big

Had to clean my seat before I sat down. I had paid the extra $50 fee for the first row because I was ill. Mistake to think that would make a difficult time easier. Did not rush on plane being ill and knowing I paid extra $50. All the overhead space above my seat was full. Paying extra $50 should allow you to board earlier so people don't steal your space. I had to use overhead halfway down plane. I could not access my bag for water, medicine, blanket. I could not exit the plane quickly. I could not get to my bag. People said you get what you pay for, I didn't even get that. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Thomas Chase    (USA)

Standard

Flight 667, 3/1/2014 and flight 202, 3/3/2014. Be aware of the baggage policy. Flying out with my 2 items nothing was said about paying for a "carry-on." Coming home, as I was about to board, the gate agent made me pay $100 for a carry-on. Curiously, I saw numerous other passengers boarding with 2 items, none of which showed that they had paid for their "carry-on."

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by L Roman    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline service I have had. Their own flight delays forced me to miss connections (their own connections). I had to stay overnight at a hotel in FLL at my own cost. A group of 10-15 dissatisfied customers went up to the supervisor to ask for help or some coverage of hotel fees and he said there was nothing he could do. Staff at the gates in LGA and FLL and flight attendants were very unfriendly and some were even rude.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by A Caro    (USA)

Standard

Feb 15 2014 I flew from ORD to LAX. The flight was the first one of the day. After 5 hours delay, we boarded the plane and were told that a credit of $100 was going to be issued to us for a future reservation. I never received anything. I called Spirit and asked for the voucher number. Now the amount is $50! The customer service told me to call the airport and complain to them because the airport is responsible for issuing those vouchers. The customer service is terrible. Never again unless I really have no choice, I rather spend more money than use Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Peter Harper    (USA)

Standard

Most of the other reviews spoke about extra fees and late flights - which we also experienced in our flights from FLL to/from Montego Bay Jamaica. Our biggest complaints are about the poor quality of the flight attendants. On the flight down, after everyone was all settled into their seats, suddenly a passenger was told to move to the middle seat between myself and another passenger, even though plenty of empty aisle seats were available nearby. When I asked why he couldn't take 1 of those seats, we were told, by a rude flight attendant, "those aren't zone 1, he needs to sit there to balance the weight - and we're all waiting for you to move so he can sit there and get the flight moving". Later on the same flight my wife asked the attendant what the flight number was (in order to complete immigration form) and the response was "it's on your boarding pass" - even the passengers nearby commented on the rudeness. On the return flight today as we were boarding our flight a passenger was putting his bags right over our bulkhead seats - when my wife asked him if he could move them down a row as we needed to put all of bags in the overhead bin - he pointed to the 2 rows of crew bags on his side and asked the crew if it was ok to put his bags where he did - the crew response was "you can put your bags anywhere, she doesn't have a right to ask you to move them". Their response was catty and unprofessional. We paid extra for the front seats, but with the crew bags blocking the bins, the benefit of being up there was minimized. To make matters worse, the crew allowed a passenger to board without a proper passport and sloppily went through the safety checks during the flight. As for us, we will never fly Spirit again, the low fares are a mirage after the additional fees are factored in, and the horrible customer experience we had on both flights was appalling.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Doug Zweigoron    (USA)

Did all my homework, knew the rules about additional charges, figured all the whiners just had not understood how Spirit Airlines operates. So after my wife and I spent hours shopping to find a bag that fits well within the 12x14x16 dimensions identified on their website for the free carry-on, they charged her $100 that we can ill afford at check-in this morning. You're trapped there at check-in because you have to fly, and they nail you with the punitive at-the-gate check-in charge even though you are in compliance. They make it just about impossible to reach a live human being. I don't care how inexpensive they are. This really feels like they are being intentionally deceptive.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Mark Edwards    (USA)

Worst customer service! I clicked checked bag instead of carry on when buying my flight and they charged me an additions $70 at the gate on top of the $30 I had already paid. They told me that was the only other option was to not get on the flight. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by C Aguirre    (USA)

Standard

I booked two flights from Phoenix to Cancun. On the flight back from Cancun to Phoenix, we had a connecting flight in Florida. There was no weather issues, but the plane arrived an hour late in picking us up from Cancun. By the time we arrived in Florida, their connecting flight had already left. We went to the Spirit customer service desk and were told they couldn't get us another flight home for additional 3 days! Even though it was the airlines fault that they missed their connecting flight, they refused to pay for any hotel expenses. Just like any other person, we couldn't wait another 3 days to go home because we had to work. We ended up paying $200 for the hotel expenses and $600 to get a flight home from another company. The airport lobby was completely full of upset customers in the same scenario because of Spirit's bad customer service. The customer service agents were so obnoxious and could care less about what was going on. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by D Long    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Atlantic City to Ft Lauderdale was fine. Coming home was a completely different story. We arrived at the airport 6 hours prior to our flight because we were returning from a cruise ship. The airport was a total nightmare. I had to print our boarding passes at the kiosk, but at 8.50am it showed my 2.50pm flight was already delayed until 4.36pm. No real reason, since there was no weather between Florida and New Jersey. Then we had to get in the "fast bag drop" lane and wait 45 minutes. I think they need to reread the dictionary to determine the meaning of fast. The entire time we were waiting for our flight, the boards at the airport continued to show our flight was "on time." They cancelled another flight and didn't update that one either. We were leaving out of the same gate, and around take off time I saw multiple people for the cancelled flight going up wondering what was going on with their flight. Yet, their website was updated. So, why the lack of communication with the airport? We were getting ready to board, and of course they're oversold and need 2 volunteers, fast forward a few minutes and we're on the plane, and "boarding is complete." Then a flight attendant comes on and says they need one person to give up their seat. 20 minutes later and after the passengers are all getting antsy, a different one comes on and says they need someone to give up their seat. Some good Samaritan finally gives up her seat, it was ridiculous that we were held hostage so some woman could get a seat that was rightfully someone else's. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by E Penn    (USA)

Standard

Spend a little more money on another airline because Spirit is a rip-off. Charges for everything, won't even give you water for free. My husband and I had a 10.30pm flight from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. All Spirit flights were delayed that day - we didn't even board until midnight. The staff didn't seem to care about the delays, just laughing and joking with each other in front of their stand as everyone waited and sat on the floor, crowding the hallway. The plane bathroom smelt. Go with a more reliable airline instead of Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by T Campos    (USA)

Standard

Spirit cancelled my daughter's flight from Orlando to Vegas. #3 planes had "mechanical difficulties". They gave her a flight the next day at noon. Got there and the ticket said the flight was for 11.15 take off. they didn't take off until 11.54. she is laying over in Houston, for 10 hours with 2 little girls and her dog. I tried to get them to give her a flight on another airline and got a run around and one person pointing the finger at the other. Beware, you get what you pay for and they are the lowest in every sense of the word.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax