Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by B Hines    (USA)

Standard

After looking at reviews it appears most everyone has the same complaint - the baggage fees are as much as the plane ticket. Hard uncomfortable seats. Had to pay almost twice as much baggage fees coming from the Dominican Republic (in addition to paying a government fee to enter the country). To have to pay for water after paying for a ticket and those baggage fees shameful. I don't think we will ever fly Spirit again. We applied for a c card in order to get free miles. We are going to cancel the credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sara Lay    (USA)

Standard

My son got us tickets on Spirit because he thought it was the up and coming low fare airline. He didn't know what he was getting my into! Obviously he was uninformed, but he is now. First impression: signed in for boarding pass (didn't have to pay $10) and message came up that we had to pay $50 for each carryon, and we each had one so that was $100 that we did not expect on our carefully budgeted trip. I was fortunate to get a cup of water for my medication before we took off. One of our seatmates said she was on a flight where a lady needed medication and they wanted her to pay for water. By the way, water is not a complimentary item. For a budget airline, we are subsidizing their cheap fare policy, so I'll take the airline that at least I can feel comfortable on for an extra $100, which is usually Southwest, and they have lots of complimentary juice, water and soda. They won't lure me with anything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Urgo    (USA)

Big

Atlanta to Atlantic City. 7/12/14. They should rename this airline "Nickel Dime Airline" because that is about all the service is worth and that's all they do, from the moment you book a flight - attempt to extort more and more money out of you. I'm surprised they don't sell passengers packets of toilet paper as you enter their very dirty, smelly on-board rest room. Spirit's excuse is that it's a "budget" airline. But by the time they are finished with all the add-on costs, a ticket that started out at a good (but really not rock-bottom) price usually ends up costing more than one on a non-budget airline - where you'll have bigger seats, cleaner restrooms, and a less confounding experience all around.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Elizabeth Bensend    (USA)

Standard

Never again! Our flight from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth was 2 hours late. When we boarded the plane the attendant that you usually see greeting you was busy on their phone. The attendant before take off checked the overhead compartment while sighing as if she didn't want to be there. The attendants were overall unpleasant. When we left Dallas Fort Worth to LAX we received the same greeting. The flight was an early morning 6.20 departure and I realize everyone is very tired in the morning and that perhaps the passengers have the right to sleep during the fight but I certainly don't think that the flight attendant should be sleeping in their seat at the back of the plane. My luggage is in Las Vegas and I am 4 hours North of LAX. The seats on the plane so small need not recline back. So uncomfortable! When I booked this flight I was excited that I had found airfare for family of 4 at such a low price, now I know why! I think what bothers me the most is that the attendants weren't very attentive and we're too busy with their social media to be bothered by the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Duval    (France)

Standard

Flight 719 on Wednesday May 28th. I tried to fly on Spirit between Denver and Las Vegas, but the flight was canceled because of the absence of the crew. We spent one hour inside the aircraft itself waiting for them and finally, we had to spend the night at Denver airport after 5 hours waiting at the front desk to get a solution for the next day (with another company hopefully). The quality of the service was very poor. In addition, I was flying with a 7-month baby.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Riedl    (USA)

Standard

The total cost after paying all the fees was comparable to other airlines, so no real big saving with Spirit. Never flew Spirit and thought I'd give it a try. My flight to Oregon didn't happen because of mechanical failure (so cannot comment on in-flight experience), instead they would fly me from Pennsylvania, to Texas tonight (Friday), then to New Jersey overnight, and then depart for Vegas early Saturday morning. I would have 1.5 days in Vegas before getting on a flight to Oregon early Sunday evening. All of this "at no additional charge" said the clerk. They did not offer a hotel room in Vegas at no additional charge. My experiment blew up before getting off the ground, their business model has a lot of room for improvement, and I will not be booking with Spirit ever again. My weekend with my children was ruined.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Ronda Skube    (USA)

Standard

My husband and myself flew Spirit Airlines round-trip DFW to BWI in mid April. The first leg of the trip was fine, the return trip out of BWI was delayed by 4+ hours, as others have said it would have been nice to have a "free" soda onboard. They did give us a free $50 coupon for future travel, but it had to be used in 30 days, not a good deal. My daughter had the same trip in May, same problem, delayed out of BWI for hours! No free, I'm sorry for the delay offer of anything. My son and family (with 14 month old) had the same trip out of BWI and was delayed 7+ hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pooja Kanani    (USA)

Standard

I was travelling from Houston to Vegas. I was allowed a carry on item inside the aircraft and was not informed that the carry on item was out of specification. With the same mindset, I was boarding my flight from Vegas and I was asked to pay $100 for the same bag which was within specification at Houston. I was not surprised as much by their inconsistent policy abiding attitude as much as I was by their rude staff. It was like they were trained to be rude. Luckily, I had a big paper bag where I could easily transfer my items and that's how a dodged the $100 extortion amount. I was definitely not ready to pay $100 for a bag that costs $40. I for one, will never fly this airline again. Their "cheap flights" are nothing but more expense in disguise.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by N Hubbard    (USA)

Big

I flew Spirit Airline on July 8 2014, Minneapolis to LAX. All staff including front desk, check-in and pilots were courteous and friendly. Plane was clean and the only challenge is people coming to board that did not read information about luggage size and one free carry on size despite this being posted all over Spirit Airline web site, people came with oversized luggage and were charged accordingly. Just know ahead you take your own food and drinks on board which many airlines do charge also and read expectations of seating. So worth the saved money of flying by flying this airline yes it's a no frills yet it is an Airline that does care about safety and cost effectiveness.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Joy Milwee    (USA)

Standard

This is one of the worst airlines that is flying in the USA, flight 912 from Orlando was delayed twice, customer service was called to find out the problem and was told that they had to do a lightning strike inspection. I can understand the safety aspect of this but to not offer any compensation to passengers that had been told to be at the gate one hour before the original schedule is very unreal. Will not recommend that anyone fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by L Moniz    (USA)

Standard

My boyfriend and I went to Fort Lauderdale last week from Boston. You think you are getting a great deal but once you get there they whack you with every luggage fee they possibly can. Don't think it's like every other airline and it's a 50lb max for checked luggage. No it's 40 and they will charge you for every pound over! They charge you for every soda/water and food that you get. To top it all off everything we saw said credit/debit only for food and drink. After a long wait we finally ordered two waters and were unable to buy them because the lady said it was cash only because the credit card machine was down. Fast forwarding to our flight home. We got to the airport 2.5 hours early. Sat in a Spirit check in line that was at least 100 people long with only one line open for check in and security. I honestly do not know if it was the airport or just spirit but needless to say we showed up to the gate at 9.22 when our flight was scheduled for 9.26 and the door was shut. They were so unhelpful in the situation I was shocked! When we asked when the next flight was it was not until 8.30 that night! We bought another flight for Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pauline Owens    (USA)

Standard

Flew to Vegas from Portland over Spring Break in April 2014. It's a bare bones operation for sure. Staff were fun and plane was clean. Baby cried all the way there, two little kids behind us screamed and fought the whole two hours, no one's fault but didn't make for a very pleasant trip down. No issues coming back, their baggage is very high, Southwest Airlines is a better buy for the money if you add in the $50 charge for 1 bag.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Hedger    (USA)

Standard

Terrible. One word to sum up Spirit airlines. The baggage fees are outrageous and the online baggage check never works so you have to pay at the airport. My wife waited in line because the online check in didn't work, missed her flight and was told to return the next day at 11. The never said 11pm. So she arrived at the airport and got all the way through security before anyone noticed her flight wasn't schedule for another 12 hours. This airline has the worst service, worst pricing, worst fees, smallest seats, and the worst most unprofessional website I have ever seen. I wouldn't fly on this airline if it were free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Dennis Serrao    (USA)

Standard

We flew from OAK to Las Vegas, 6/27/14. I was fully aware of their add on fees for everything so I won't be complaining about that. I have never flown Spirit so thought we would save some money but also worried that it was some type of chicken coup carrying fly by night airline and unfortunately it is. Not to mention I had 2 other couples with me and recommended Spirit to them. Now I understand there can be mechanical issues with planes but how it was handled was just horrible! Flight to leave at 2.10pm, pilot comes on "Ladies & Gentleman we need our mechanic to sign off on a repair should be 5-10 minutes". "Ladies & Gentlemen we can't find the mechanic and need to deplane should be 45 minutes". 2 hours later "we still can't find the mechanic", then - "we found the mechanic and he will be here in an hour". It's now about 4pm. "The mechanic is here and working on it", "the plane is fixed", "the plane is not fixed", now it's 6pm and they say "the plane is fixed and we will be boarding soon". Happy Roars from the crowd at Gate 5. 8 pm "we are sorry to say the plane is fixed but the pilots have timed out and we have no other pilots". No ground crew, no extra pilots just insane. Comedy of errors, lies/misinformation, no management, no help getting new flights on other airlines and on and on. We rushed to get our bags and I literally had to go behind the counter to help and grab my bags and run to a real airline and overpay for two one way tickets to Vegas. The absolute worst customer service. They only offered a lousy $50 voucher for our next flight which I am sure they know will never be used.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Jennifer Montano    (USA)

Standard

DFW to Boston on Sunday, June 29. Flight 254. Will never fly this airline again! As mentioned previously, they charge you for everything. You are not getting a good deal with this airline, the prices are very deceiving! I was shocked when the airline was going to charge me $25 at check in because my luggage was 45 lbs. I told them that I am under the max capacity. Well, at Spirit, 40lbs is their max for weight. What can a person pack for under 40lbs? In addition, the plane was dirty. The leather on the seats was fading, which gave the aircraft a dirty feel. I'm so used to flying Southwest and will continue with Southwest.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Cheek    (USA)

Standard

This is my first and will be my only experience with Spirit Airlines. I flew from Houston IAH to Orlando, and when I arrived at the ticketing counter in Houston, after I stood in line for 10 minutes told me that if the agent had to print off my ticket it would be $15, but that I could do it for free at the ticket kiosk. After I left line, waited for a kiosk, printed my ticket, returned to line, I was stunned to discover that Spirit Airlines charges a $45 fee for checked luggage, and $50 for carry-on luggage. After paying this egregious amount, they told me that my bag was 5 pounds overweight. When I finally reached the gate, boarded the plane, and began pulling away from the gate they informed us that there were problems with the plane's navigational system and we would have to return to the gate, but it would only take a few minutes to correct. Long story short, after the navigational system was fixed, the plane's toilet malfunctioned. 2.5 hours later we were still at the gate. To soothe irate passengers, they began passing out cookies. But they only had enough for less than half of the passengers. If you were in the 1/3 section of the rear of the plane, where I was, you didn't get a cookie. No complementary drinks either. They finally told us that we would have to deplane, and return to the terminal. We didn't leave Houston until 3 hours after the scheduled departure time. The seats don't recline. Learn from my mistake, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Rodney Harrison    (USA)

Standard

2 weeks ago I flew from Houston, TX to Detroit MI. Upon checking in at the front gate I was informed that even though I was active duty military personnel I still had to pay for my baggage. I have been serving our country for 6 years and I never had to pay for my baggage, however I was informed Spirit Airlines is the only airliner that does not honor the military incentive. After I paid $200 for my baggage I proceeded to my flight which was 45 mins late with no valid explanation. When I arrived in Detroit I waited 1 hr to receive my bags from the baggage claim. On my return flight once again I had to pay for my baggage,but I was forced to leave some things behind and return with 1 bag due to the baggage fees and the flight was late again. I usually don't write reviews but I was very dissatisfied with the service and the way Spirit Airlines conducts operations. I do not believe that I will ever use this airliner again or recommend their service to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Glenn Maertens    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline we have ever flown on. You think you are getting a fairly cheap flight which was only an hour flight from Vegas to San Diego. We had one check in bag and two carry on bags cost us $300. We were told to get on line and check our luggage 24 hours before our flight, when we went to do so, there was no way we could get on to do this. You had to create an account and enter a password which we did not have so you have to request one and was never sent to us, so no way to contact. So we start trying to call the airline, absolutely no way to get through. This airline is not only a rip off, but the staff is rude and after paying a total of $550 dollars for an hour flight have to pay for a water!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from Baltimore to Ft.Lauderdale. To start off the flight was delayed once everyone was aboard, because of a mechanical issue. After sitting for an hour or so we take off. You would think they would have offered at least a free beverage for the delay, but no. They charge you for every little thing. The seats don't recline, the person behind me had their knees in my back, I didn't get too upset because they didn't know and the seats are so close together they probably could not help it. In addition, the industry standard of classifying a 50 pound bag as oversized is not the same with Spirit, their limit is 40 lbs and anything over that you start paying big money. Oh and don't forget to print out your boarding pass PRIOR to arriving at the airport or you will pay $10 for each one. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Manson    (USA)

Standard

Flew Spirit for first and last time. Sat on Tarmac at LGA for 1.5 hours, therefore missed connection arriving in Detroit approximately 8.30pm. At Detroit gate agent told three angry passengers we should not have been on flight. Gate agent further informed us earliest flight for us was next day at 3pm arriving at destination 9pm - 24 hours after scheduled arrival. Was further told that they would not provide hotel, food or ticket for another airline with more convenient flights. When questioned that other airlines do such routinely was told "We are not other airlines". Unless you enjoy cramped seats and lousy customer service and are on a very tight budget do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Burger    (USA)

Standard

Do not fly this airline. My outgoing flight was delayed twice. Then on my returning flight no one would help me put my bag in the over head storage, I have 3rd degree burns on my body and cannot lift heavy items. Once we landed I forgot something on the plane and it took an hour for them to get it to me. Very poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by John Marcus    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airline does not properly inform passengers of flight status changes or cancellations and costs more than equivalent flights on either United or American Airlines. When approached, representatives appear flustered and uninformed about flight status, refunds, etc. Do yourself a favor, book your flight on another carrier and save the headache, increased cost and loss of funds. In early May, my wife and I decided to take our eldest son and book a flight to visit family in Houston, Texas. At first glance, it appeared $50 cheaper per ticket to book our flight with Spirit Airlines. I had heard, by word of mouth, there were extra charges for checked in baggage. Where other airlines were charging $50/bag or so, Spirit charged $100. Since we only had carry-on baggage, we figured we'd save the $150 on our tickets. On June 18, 2014, we checked online with Spirit Airlines and learned our 7pm flight was delayed several times and the Spirit Representatives could only tell us about the delays 30 to 60 minutes after the scheduled departure time. This was totally useless. At 4am we were getting ready to board our plane to Houston, when we got the announcement that our flight was cancelled. No information or help was given. We were told to go to the main counter outside of security to see if they could help us. The line was 3 hours long, but fortunately my ticket agent, Cheaptickets.com helped on the phone. I was one of the fortunate individuals. I realized I was short-sided in my thought to save $150. Spirit Airlines is not a good alternative. Do not believe their marketing hype about getting the same flight for less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Karen Stevens    (USA)

March 12, 2014, flight 310 from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. Awful. My red eye was delayed 2 hours, and I ended up losing my rental car reservation, so I had to pay double. The cabin smelt like exhaust fumes the whole time before take off, the plane must have been really old. When we landed, for some reason the plane took off again. The pilot did not have the courtesy to give us an explanation. We thought there was some mechanical problem, and couldn't land. The worst flight I've been on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T Tytam    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst flying experience! I departed Atlanta with two bags, my purse and a small carry on that fit within the required personal bag space. The representative said my bag was ok, when departing DFW I was denied boarding unless I paid $100 dollars for my luggage. I explained to the gate personnel that I wasn't charged before and was told I could fly with the bag. I will not recommend anyone to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by S John    (USA)

Big

I recently flew from Chicago to Minneapolis. I paid for the base fare which includes one personal item. Since I was staying for 4 days with friends I didn't need a large suitcase or carry on bag I was able to fit everything into a bag which meets the free bag policy and fits on the floor under the seat. The money I saved was enough to purchase one of the large seats in the front and I was quite comfortable and the seat in fact reclined and was not set to a fixed position. If you read carefully at the time you book you will see the baggage policy. If you want to use the overhead bin there is a charge of $35 at the time you book. When you check in online it will ask you if you need to check more bags and you will pay a little more then if you had your act together when you booked. If you just ignore it all and take your carry on to the gate and you didn't pay in advance yes to get to pay $100, that's on you, you should read as you book. My flight was delayed an hour and a half going because Air Force One went to Minneapolis the same day and about the same time, not Spirits fault. Also the trip back was delayed 15 minutes, not too bad. If you want to drink water or soda, being it on or you have to buy it. Do your homework, if you are taking a long vacation with baggage, something like Southwest may be better. But if you are going a short distance, don't need a free half can of soda and tiny bag of peanuts and can pack light and know how to check in o line and print your boarding pass, then Spirit is a good alternative and not nearly as bad as people here say. The gate agents and cabin crew were just fine, the same as any other I have flown with. I'm giving F & B and Inflight Entertainment a 1 because it's up to you if you want to buy a drink aboard, I didn't and I had my iPad for a movie.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Brenda Baba    (USA)

Standard

I have flown to DFW from Michigan more times than I can remember, since my son moved to Texas. My first trip on Spirit Airlines, which I will dub, "Spirit Liarlines", was bad before we got off the ground in Detroit. They pretended the plane we boarded had a mechanical problem, so we all got off and was told only a couple of hours delay. After a five hour delay we were put on a different plane. On the trip back to Detroit from DFW the delays started long before I got to the airport, moving my departure time from 7.43pm to 9.47pm at 1.30 in the afternoon. Spirit Liarlines website says, Circumstances change quickly, so please arrive 60 minutes before original departure time to avoid potentially missing your flight.”So, it is a delay that might not be a delay and one that forced me to arrive at 6.43pm for a flight that did not depart until 11.20pm.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by A Withey    (USA)

Standard

June 17th and back on the 25t. I bought my bundle ticket through Expedia and regretted flying on Spirit when I found out I was going to be charged 150.00 going and another 150.00 coming back for carry on luggage. Service was horrible. They charged for even a cup of coffee. Seats did not go back and no videos while we flew. I wish I could give less than a one.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Robert Jarvis    (USA)

Standard

Horrible experience sending my son and two granddaughters back to Latrobe this afternoon. Had pre booked this trip to Orlando a month ago, as we now know through Spirit Airlines. A real no frills flight program! Couldn't use money to buy condiments coming down, on the way back could. But that wasn't the horrible thing about this trip - scheduled to go out of Orlando at 3.26 so we get there at 2.15, standing in line and by the time my son gets to the counter he's told he's 3 minutes late and his baggage cannot be put on the plane! Next they have to figure out if they can get him onto the plane on a ticket he already has, so he and the two babies rush to the boarding dock while my wife and I wait to make sure we don't have to take him back home with us. Get the call and he and the girls are on the plane. A total lack of co-operation and understanding on part of the Spirit Airlines people, complete lack of empathy.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by D Taylor    (USA)

Standard

My family and I flew Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas. I had no idea the seats did not recline, and this was so very uncomfortable for a long flight. I feel the extra charges for one carry on bag for each person and to have to pay $3 per person for water is a bit much. As I was getting off the plane, one of the crew members, who did not say excuse me or thank you for flying with us, grabbed his luggage and just cut right in front of me. I would possibly recommend Spirit for a 90 min or less flight, but definitely not for a longer flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by McDonnell Teresa    (USA)

Big

I do not travel often, but the experience I had with Spirit leaves little to be desired. The plane that was to be mine was delayed several hours, coming from Denver. When we finally boarded, we sat on the tarmac for 1 hour with no AC. The pilot came on and said that we had to return to the gate because we would not make curfew flying into LaGuardia. This was a Wednesday and we were told that the next available flight would be on Saturday. I needed to be in NYC by Thursday! Unacceptable. No hotel vouchers to be had. The money I spent for the shuttle to the airport was non-refundable. There were only 2 agents at the counter to deal with all these people who had nowhere to go. Needless to say, they were not very accommodating, they were not able to deal well with the situation. What a disappointing experience flying with Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Laci Greer    (USA)

Standard

Not only did I have to pay $100 for one suitcase and laptop bag, but they didn't even honor the fact that I am military and that any other airlines wouldn't charge military for their bags. Once paying the ridiculous fees, I get on the plane and find out that everything costs including the water. When I was preparing to head to the airport for departure from California, I decided to check online for boarding times and three different times my flight was delayed. I didn't arrive back to Texas until 1.30 in the morning. So if you want to purchase a cheap ticket for a trip with rude customer service, baggage fees, and non-complimentary anything, then pick Spirit. But for all you're going to pay them, you would be better off just buying a ticket at another well known airlines. Never again. I guess you live and you learn.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

Standard

Just like the rest of the bad reviews, all the extra charges for everything that is standard and custom on most other airlines. This is a new high for how bad customer service was for our entire family. We were to get on a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas on June 18th, after 4 hours of waiting they cancel the entire flight stranding our family in the airport. From here it gets worse, the only thing they will allow is to get a voucher for a future ticket or a partial refund of our money. So we get into line and wait and wait, the ticketing personnel just sit at their desk and do nothing. We ask for a supervisor, they respond they are busy, this is about 2am in the morning. We all are still waiting to get some type of resolve. We ended up by only getting a partial refund, had to pay for the hotel stay that we couldn't use had to cancel are rental vehicle and then had to rebook another flight with another carrier. Then on top of it the original destination for the Spirit flight was Las Vegas and it had to be change to Salt Lake City instead and now we had to rent a vehicle from there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Jones    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely horrible customer service at the Atlanta Spirit check-in. 1 person in line in front of me took 45 minutes to speak with anyone. They allowed people not in line to walk right up to the counter. I finally got to speak with the rudest person in ATL, which trust me there are plenty. All I needed was a security pass to pick my juvenile son at the gate. This useless customer service agent said I couldn't pick my child up because I wasn't listed to pick him up I showed him my receipt where I paid for the ticket, my identification (with the same name), however this was not enough. After calling me "careless", he decided to allow me to pick him up. The worst ever!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by L Laurentis    (USA)

Standard

We experienced delays both ways without any explanation. After a last minute gate change from Chicago to NY, there was virtually no procedure to the boarding process. Instead of boarding by zones, the agent just called everyone up to get on the plane which we had to walk down a steep stairway and go outside to board. Suffice it to say, it was very stressful and disorderly. Do not join the $9 Fare Club thinking it is $9 to join to receive discount rates on checked-in luggage. It costs $59.95 which they state only at the very bottom of the page in smaller type which I missed because I was doing this last minute during online check-in when I saw how much $$ they charge for bags. Then they don't even send you a receipt for joining so you can catch it in time to cancel. The plane on the returning trip was filthy and delayed by more than 2 hours. This airline nickel and dimes you for everything. By the time I paid for all the fees, I ended up paying an additional $120. This is the first and last time on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Speed Cathy    (USA)

Never again will we fly this airline. The plane was filthy with food all over the floor, my son sat in gum on the seat, his seatbelt did not work, they charged for a cup of water for my child (not a bottle, a plastic cup of tap water), trash all over the floor of plane, extremely hot with no a/c, and they charged us extra for asking to be seated together since we had small children (apparently it is ok to let the strangers on plane have to deal w/ your kids). Charged $400 round trip for 4 ordinary size bags. Never fly with Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Gonzalo Maureira    (USA)

Standard

I am a frequently traveler and this is the worst airline that I have experienced. I purchased a round trip ticket from Houston to Las Vegas. The trip from Houston Las Vegas was cancelled 3 hours after the departure time, the airline staff did not provide any meaningful reason about such cancellation (no manager showed up at all either). The solution given was to take another flight three days later, no hotel stay, not even a glass of water for the long wait. Finally I had no choice but to keep the return flight with Spirit and to buy a one way ticket on short notice with another airline, the price for that ticket was $1,300 (out of my pocket). As you can see I'm very frustrated of having purchased a ticket on such unreliable and unprofessional airline. If you are thinking of using Spirit for your further travel plans, you should think twice!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by J Leather    (USA)

My wife and I have flown Spirit to several destinations over many years. Most recently, we traveled to San Francisco via Las Vegas. I wish we could get direct flights to the Bay Area, but an overnight stay in Las Vegas is not too hard to take. Our return trip was not so un-troubled. It's true that the current policy of "your fare entitles you to a seat on the plane - all else is an extra charge" seems unfair to some travelers, but Spirit is up front about it, and nobody should feel they were trapped into unexpected charges for e.g. luggage. We travel with one checked bag (just under the 40 lb. limit) and each have a free backpack as carry-on. Those back packs are big enough to hold water bottles, snacks, a change of clothes in case of "delayed luggage", medication, toiletries, books, etc. We only reserve seats together on longer flights, and take our chances on the short hops. That saves us $40 on a round-trip. We have never been treated by any Spirit employee in any way but a courteous and helpful manner. I wish I could say the same about major airline personnel. I don't mind paying $8 for a gin and tonic while flying, (it's cheaper if my wife joins me). I've paid more than that at airport bars. Our last return trip from Oakland to Philadelphia was our worst experience. We had anticipated about a 7 hour layover in Las Vegas, and planned to hop a shuttle to one of the hotels, have dinner and maybe spend some time in the casino before getting a shuttle back to the airport. Weather conditions all over the country played havoc with those plans, and the schedules of all airlines as well. There were a few passengers embarrassingly stupid enough to take out their frustration caused by the weather on the crew. We arrived at Las Vegas with just about enough time to check in for the LAS to PHL flight. Since I could not book the trip as a fight from OAK to PHL, changing planes in LAS, I had to book it as two separate flights. I doubt if Spirit, or any airline would take responsibility for us if we missed our flight from LAS to PHL since they did not schedule it as a connection they planned for our journey. If we missed the plane we had designated as a "connection", the fault would be ours. That's something to keep in mind if you are planning a trip on Spirit, or any airline that uses a lot of "hub and spokes" in designing their routes. Overall, we have been pleased with the service and prices that Spirit offers the public. The "hardships" we have had to endure have been minor, and well worth the savings. I hope to start planning our next trip very soon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Joan Philips    (USA)

I read the reviews here after I had bought a non-refundable ticket with Spirit, so I was very nervous. But it turned out very well. Here are my experiences: 1. Being on time. One flight was 1.5 hours late due to weather, but a Delta flight the same day was 7 hours late! If I absolutely have to be on time, I will take another airline. But otherwise I am okay with taking my chances. 2. Cramped seats. I am very nervous about flying. But the tightly packed seats made me feel more secure and it felt safer. 3. Lack of amenities such as drinks and snacks, extra pay for luggage. One reason I don't fly much is because of how it contributes so much to global warming. Spirit tries to reduce weight on their flights, and that helps reduce the negative environmental impact of flying. So extra pay for extra weight is for me a plus! 4. Pleasantness of employees I had a good experience. One flight attendant was cracking jokes like "Put on your oxygen mask and insert credit card for oxygen." This made the flight a lot more fun.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Ravini Johnson    (USA)

June 24 2014, flight 630, Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - New York, NY - LaGuardia (LGA). Don't know where to start, overall the worst experience ever. They canceled the flight and didn't pay for anything. Staff are rude, no supervisor available and zero customer service. I was warned about flying Sprit unfortunately only after I had purchased the tickets. Believe me pay the few extra dollars and fly any other airline because at the end the day you will pay a lot more with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Angelini    (USA)

Standard

Without a doubt the worst airline we have used. They will rip you off seven ways to Sunday and twice on Monday. We booked our flight via Priceline and were never told that in order not to be raked over the coals in baggage fees we needed to pay for our bags in advance. When we learned this at the airport while checking in it cost $90 for two bags - she never even told us there was an additional fee for the checked bag we had, despite telling her that we had one. We were told that had we booked with Spirit directly we would not have had to pay as much. What they neglected to tell us was that when we paid for the return bags online in advance, that we needed to do it more than 24 hours before the return flight or suffer near equally outlandish fees. Furthermore, when trying to pay for them in advance via the iPad apparently their poor software cannot handle such a simple transaction yet when you call to take care of it over the phone you can't or you'll have to pay the same amount as you would if you checked them at the airport!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by C Farrel    (USA)

Big

They get non suspecting first time travelers and then they stick it to you. A Red eye from Vegas with seats that do not even recline. Never again. Take a greyhound bus, you will arrive at your destination faster. Horrible customer service, deceptive advertising, bad plane amenities. By the time they nickel and dime you, you can fly a better carrier. Final note: be careful with online booking, you think you are booking what you saw, but they may in fact put you on another flight. Be careful and watch when you confirm your trip booking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by R Gardner    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled on 6/25 from Las Vegas due to bad weather in Dallas. Spirit said the soonest they could fly us out would be Monday 6/30 (5 days later) or give us a refund. No accommodation at all. Cost $2176 to buy 4 one way tickets on Southwest with a change in Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by H Zhang    (USA)

Standard

Fool me once, shame on me. Never again, Spirit Airlines. Flew round trip between Los Angles (LAX) and Chicago (O'Hare). As I checked in, I discovered that carry-on luggage is $35 before online check-in, $45 during online check-in, $50 at the counter, and $100 at the gate. $100! There is nothing "economical" about this. When I woke up the morning of my flight that was supposed to leave at 8.30am, I saw that I had received an email from Kayak (where I booked the flight) saying that it would be 2 hours delayed. No notification from Spirit. I called Spirit, after waiting 30 minutes, I finally got through, only to be told very curtly and rudely that he "can see what I can see". When I asked if there is a different number or someone else in customer service who can help, he said no and told me to go to the airport. Got to the airport and walked up to the counter to drop off my pre-paid, "fast drop off bag". The person at the counter pointed to the line that was 100 people deep all the way down the hallway and out the door to the curb of the airport where 50+ people were waiting. "That's the line to drop my bag off?" "Yes." "But I pre-paid for fast bag drop?" "You still need to go through the line." "But why is it called fast bag drop?" "I don't know." 45 minutes later, after I finally get up to the counter. The same person who gave me the "I don't know." asked how my day was, and I responded with "Terrible." "Why?" he asked. "Well, my flight's been delayed for 2 hours, I didn't receive any notification from you guys, I've had to wait on the phone and in line for very routine requests, and I'm probably going to miss my pre-paid appointment in Chicago because you can't give me an estimate of when we will arrive." He gave me a smirk and said "Only 2 hours delayed? That's not bad." Never again, Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by K Soltesz    (USA)

This is by far the worst company I have encountered. Not only do they nickel and dime you for every single thing down to charging you $20 per seat per flight (not round trip) but the staff are incapable of providing any type of customer service. When it was my turn to check my bag in, the staff member asks "where is your boarding pass", I showed her my phone which had the pass on it. She said she "doesn't know how to use that" so I have to either pay $15 for her to print one or I have to exit the line to print one at the kiosk and wait in the line all over again. Clearly I just paid it so I didn't have to interact with her any longer. Then upon boarding the actual plane all flight attendants were sucking lollipops and were just straight rude. I learned my lesson. Never again will I fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Sandra Christensen    (USA)

Standard

My flight from MSP to ORD was cancelled the morning of 6/19/14 due to weather. The line at Spirit Airlines was very long and didn't move the first hour I stood in it. I got on the phone and all I was offered was a refund and a flight 3 days later. I needed to be in Chicago that night. I asked to talk to that persons manager. Guess what? A seat magically opened up on a flight later that evening. Having already returned my rental car, I hung out at the airport for my late afternoon flight. Our plane arrived, and we're all ready to board when we get the news that the flight is delayed. Long story short, they strung us along until a little past midnight. The customers were so irritated and tired by this time that the desk employee called a gate change. We all packed up and walked to the other end to a new gate. We waited there for a good half hour. That's when we were informed the flight had been canceled a half hour ago and we were all to go to the Spirit desk for other arrangements. Another long line. No rental cars to be had. No hotel rooms available. I finally found a hotel quite a distance away. By the time I got to my room it was 2am. I found a flight on SunCountry Airlines departing the next morning at 8am and finally made my destination to Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by T Mahaney    (USA)

Standard

Unfortunately this may have been my worst experience ever with an airline. What they seem to fail to tell you is that the check-in policy is different when traveling from Costa Rica (unless this is the case everywhere). Although check-in policy says 2 hours prior to scheduled or displayed departure, you better be there 2 hours prior to the scheduled time, even if the flight is delayed 8 hours! Not only did we receive notice from Kayak about the delay but Spirit's own website displayed the 8 hour delay. When we arrived to check-in 3 hours before our flight we were told that we had missed the flight and it was closed. It didn't matter that the plane wasn't even in Costa Rican airspace. They refused to take responsibility, or put us up for the night and acted as if we should be happy that they rescheduled us for the next day. I feel bad for the people who sat there for 10 hours waiting for the plane because then the flight cancelled because the crew became illegal (too many hours). I have no idea how many hours everyone else waited. In addition, how could they not know that by the time the plane arrived that the crew would not be able to turn the plane? This was the first and last time we will even fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by D Muhammad    (USA)

Standard

June 13th, I was to fly out to Denver but it was delayed due to weather. Once the flight was cleared to leave we boarded the plane and taxied out. After sitting on the runway for approx 15 minutes the pilot stated he needed to go back to the gate because the plane did not have enough fuel. By the time the plane was fuelled up the flight crew timed out and the flight was then canceled. I was then booked onto a flight to Las Vegas but my connection to Colorado wasn't until the next day. I was offered a hotel room at a reduced rate (it should have been free) and no meal voucher.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by P Cooper    (USA)

Standard

On June 16, 2014, I decided to book a last minute trip to Ft. Lauderdale from Atlanta. I checked in 24 hours in advance at home and printed off my boarding pass. This was my first time flying with Spirit, when I was asked did I want to check a bag during the online check-in process, I declined, thinking I would bring a carry-on bag which is usually free. Once at the gate, I overheard some ladies on my flight talking about how you must pay to carry-on a bag! I approached the counter at the gate to speak with the Spirit representative to ask if what I heard was correct and he confirmed it. At this point I tried to go online and pay, no luck. Going back to the ticket counter was out of the question. I ended up calling the Customer Service 1-800 number and was able to pay $45 over the phone for my bag. The $45 fee was a one-way fee and I was not allowed to carry-on my bag! I had to place my bag underneath the airplane and pick-up at the baggage claim once we landed in Ft. Lauderdale. On my return flight back to Atlanta which was at 3.07 pm, I was running late to the airport. I got to the ticket counter at 2.20 pm to check-in and print off my boarding pass. The representative told me they had sold my seat because I didn't check- in early enough! At this point I should have 47 minutes to get through this tiny airport and make my flight. I asked her to check the surrounding airports for flights going to Atlanta, she said Spirit doesn't fly out of Miami and there were no flights out of West Palm Beach airport. All the representative told me is, "we can put you on a 9.40 am flight in the morning". I had to purchase a $347 last minute ticket on Delta to get home.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Kaylee Schabatka    (USA)

Standard

Paid 160$ to check two normal size and weight suitcases. All went ok flying into Chicago, not many complaints except for all the fees. When we got to Chicago Airport we had everything ready and were 1.5 hours early for our flight. When we went to check our luggage we were notified that our connecting flight was cancelled. We received no email, no phone call, nothing. We were told we could either get a complete refund, or fly to Dallas and wait a full 24 hours for our next flight. I asked the attendant if we would be receiving a hotel voucher anything. He said no they don't provide them. So we got to Dallas airport 2 hours late and were told that shuttles don't run after midnight. I asked the Spirit attendant if they would let us back into the terminal if we checked in so we would at least have a safe place to rest for the night. The Spirit worker said no and that normally they give out cots but not after midnight. I slept in a freezing airport last night on the ground, going on hour 18 in the airport now. Just six more to go. Spirit may appear cheap but after they charge you $200 in fees and then cancel your flight its not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by F Harry    (USA)

Big

Flight was 2 hours late leaving and then spent an hour on the runway with no air conditioning in San Juan. PR in June 2014. The heat got so bad someone had an asthma attack and the plane was forced to return to the gate. The medical case person was removed and then maybe 6 or 8 more people just got off. The delay made our group of 9 miss our connection. They offered us 3 hotel rooms and $21 in vouchers for food for a 24 hour layover. The vouchers were written wrong and only 1 restaurant would take them and 3 people had to use the same voucher. When the tickets were issued for the flight they left off all the paid carry-on bags. Not a single agent could even figure out how to add them back. This caused more trouble.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Hana Catak    (USA)

Standard

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 6.10am, which required us to get up at 3am. Upon arrival at the airport at 5am, we were informed, by a very non sympathetic Spirit employee that our flight was delayed 6 hours due to weather conditions in Dallas. Our friends that joined us a few minutes later were told that the weather issue was in Chicago. We did inquire as to why no one contacted us, but were not given an answer. As per Spirit's Customer Service Terms and Conditions, they say that they make a reasonable effort to inform passengers of changes. No such attempt was made until we reached the Spirit counter. We decided to wait at the airport and around 8.30 headed to our gate. As we sat down, we overheard the Spirit employee tell a few other passengers to start looking for alternate transportation. Our options were extremely limited. We were not able to get a flight until the following day at an additional expense of $400. This kind of service is simply unacceptable in this day and age where the world revolves around customer service. And to offer no resolution for the customers was just as unacceptable. The purpose of our trip was a vacation, so we were able to move plans around. At a much larger cost, but we made it work. Long story short, we will never be choosing Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Walstead    (USA)

Big

Less than 30 minutes before boarding, the flight from Denver was cancelled due to crew unavailability. 150 passengers were directed to the main ticket counter for options. We were told that we would be rebooked on the next available flight. The next available flight was the following day and there were about 6 seats available at the beginning of the process. I was about 100 passengers back in the line being serviced by a single gentleman. After over an hour in line, I managed to use my phone to book a Frontier flight later in the afternoon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Garvey    (USA)

We lucked out, but I won't fly Spirit again! My daughter and I took a last-minute trip to Chicago from Minneapolis, and decided to fly Spirit since we didn't need to take any bags-which would have almost made the price equal to a more reputable competitor! Our outgoing trip was on schedule and fine. Our return trip turned out OK, but the mess at the airport made me realize that we were very lucky to get home only 30 minutes late! Every flight in the Spirit gate area was delayed or cancelled (one that was supposed to leave at 10.30am was finally cancelled at 7.30pm), and there was one poor gate agent who was trying her best to help and give information (information that she obviously wasn't getting from the company). People were screaming, swearing, etc at her and finally airport security had to come stand by her! There was no explanation for why flights were delayed or cancelled, or why my flight, which was scheduled to leave after most of the delayed flights was boarded and we left 30 minutes late! I won't take my chances again, but happy that I won the Spirit lottery this time!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Coppotelli    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled out of Ft Lauderdale due to bad weather at our destination. Instead of rescheduling they offered a flight 2 days later with 4 layovers. Was originally a direct flight. New flight offered was 11 hours. Traveling with 2 small children this is not an option. Had to get a refund and spend an extra 500 dollars to fly a different airline. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Blythe    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline. The are always late and there are hidden fees everywhere - from choosing a seat to carry-on luggage. Their employees are far from friendly and borderline rude. I booked a flight to Las Vegas in June of 2013 and the one thing good about the flight was that it was smooth, everything else was substandard.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by L Garlinghouse    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip from LAS to HOU on May 13. Cancelled because of weather. Next flight 2 days later. No apology, no comps, just rude service. Coming back on May 27, 2014, again bad weather. Spirit employees at ticket desk, said TSA closed and needed to take bags through security. When explained we paid to checked these bags because of the contents, we were told to throw belongings away or scheduled FedEx pickup or rebook for flight (next day). Long story short, we had to pay FedEx $75 to pick up belongings that should of been in our check bags. And almost missed our flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Bird    (USA)

Standard

Big mistake using this airline. There were no non-stop flights from Sacramento to Dallas so I took a chance on Spirit flying out of Oakland. Flight was delayed 2 hours 20 minutes, which put me in Dallas after 2 am. This is the first and last time I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Roman Gross    (USA)

Standard

They nickel and dime you for everything possible. Our flight was delayed an hour and a half which caused us to miss our connecting flight. We had to stay in Florida for 12.5 hours until the next available flight, which caused 5 of us to miss work the next day. They wouldn't try to get us on another flight with a different airline because they are too cheap and don't care about their customers. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Kent Israel    (USA)

Standard

First trip with Spirit was 6/12/14 to 6/16/14. Worst trip ever. Deceptive additional charges for seat and carry on, totaling $100.00. Every boarding was late. Last boarding from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando waited over six hours. I will not travel with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Patty Hoppe    (USA)

Standard

Arrived at the gate at Denver International Airport this morning at 8.15 for my flight to Orlando at 9.00. I waited 40 minutes then was told the flight would be delayed 1 hour. 15 minutes later, the flight was cancelled. Spirit Airlines said they can get me to Orlando 2 days from now, or a refund. I can't tell you how angry I am. I need to be in Florida for a conference. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by B Stone    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed due to weather. Sat on the plane for an hour. After an hour they announce that they will fly around the storm. 15 minutes later they come on saying we don't have enough fuel. So we wait another hour for fuel. 99% of the plane was making a connecting flight. They then announced that every flight that was connecting would not be delayed to wait for us to arrive. They said we can get you to Ft Lauderdale but there are no flights out of there for 3 days. Most of us got off the plane and ran around the airport trying to find a different airline. They told us we had to get to the ticket counter and cancel our flight in able to be refunded. We also waited another hour for our luggage to get off the plane that many of us exited. Seriously, what airline doesn't keep adequate fuel to fly around a storm? I will walk, swim, or ride a bike before I ever use Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

When pricing your ticket between different carriers be sure to know the hidden costs after you purchase your ticket. Pretty much bait and switch with Spirit! Need to check-in prior to flight, the earliest is 24hrs. prior and can do so up 1 hr. prior. But, here is where you can throughout economy flying with Spirit, everything has a charge for it for us it was an extra $72 per person for seat assignment (X) 4, each of our bags that normally consider carry-on and less than 25 lbs. was $80 (X) 4. The customer service representatives barely speak English and are extremely rude. If you don't pre print your boarding pass at your office or home it is another $10. The sad thing is we continue to allow and support bad behavior from companies such as this. In the future my dollars will be spent with other carriers, and I advise people to do the same.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by M Evans    (USA)

Standard

My flight was June 17th from Myrtle Beach to DFW. When we went to get on the plane they did end up putting my nephew in an Exit row seat which we had to change because he was not over 15 yrs. old. Once on the plane everything was fine, the only complaint about the actual plane was that it seemed a little dirty and the seats were pretty worn. The flight staff were very nice, friendly and funny. Overall very pleasant flying experience. If you read on their website it tells you everything you are charged for so I don't know why people are so surprised about information that is in broad daylight. As long as you do your homework you should be just fine. And come on people complaining about a few dollars for a snack or drink really? They do let you bring on snacks and drinks if you want to. I would for sure book through their website instead of a 3rd party because you will get all the correct information that way. I would probably take Spirit again if need be. One more thing, there was plenty of leg room, I think even more than American Airlines has.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by T Coley    (USA)

Standard

Any money you save is negated by $35 carry-on bag fee and $10 fee to reserve your seat of choice! Not even a soft drink for free. Flight attendants zip down the aisle with the beverage cart because nobody is foolish enough to pay for a drink! Seat backs do not recline (except in emer. exit rows) and seats themselves are very uncomfortable after 2-hour flight. Avoid Spirit and pay the few extra dollars for a "regular" carrier. Spirit just takes "no-frills" way too far!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Debbie Daniels    (USA)

Standard

My daughter plays volleyball, and they had to go to Dallas for qualifiers. Being a single mother, I had to find the best flight I could. We book with Spirit because of the price. We didn't make a beef over the fee for luggage because it was still the cheapest airfare. However, we were scheduled for a 7.30 flight. The flight was delayed over 5 hours. As a result, she nearly missed her first game, and more tired than if we drove. They did not even seem remorseful whatsoever, What a miserable airline. And to think, I joined their club to get better deals in the future. Boy, did I ever get duped.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by J Gustafson    (USA)

Standard

Went to Las Vegas McCarran Airport 2 hours early. 2 huge lines and a Spirit rep is yelling Minneapolis flight is cancelled because of bad weather in Chicago. I get on my smartphone and check flighttracker which reported 98% of the flights were leaving on time with only light rain in Chicago. Then they tell us they won't have a flight for us for 2 more days! Never again. It is total waste of your time, effort and money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Caleb Bean    (USA)

Standard

June 19th 2014, flight 832, listed 1.11pm departure, Houston to Orlando. I am sitting on the Spirit aircraft as I write this review. We have been sitting on the plane at the gate for 2 hours. First there was a problem with the computer, in which they had to re-boot the entire system. After that hour, the pilot let us know that the toilets were broken. So we continued to sit on the plane for an additional hour so far. On top of all of this I have a wife in labor with our first child. Of course you will have mechanical failure, but the way this was handled is completely unacceptable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Hailey B Morris    (USA)

Standard

I just took a trip to DAL from ATL at the beginning of June 2014. I did all of my homework and researched Spirit before I made my final decision. I was not taking a long trip therefore I only needed a carry-on that I paid 70$ total for (35$ there and 35$ back). Spirit allows one free small bag and I was able to take my tote. I also printed my boarding pass online, at home, so I was able to go straight to security. The flight process was very easy and laid out and I did not experience any severe trouble with the flight staff. The only bad comment that I have to make about my trip was that it was delayed an hour on my flight back home because the plane had traveled internationally and had to be thoroughly checked in customs. I consider myself lucky to only have that one hiccup. The pilot also sped up the flight and we only ended up being 30 minutes behind schedule. I have no bad comments about food and staff service considering I slept the majority of the trip and I ate before boarding the plane on the trip there and the trip back. There is no inflight entertainment but I did not expect any for the price that I paid, plus, I brought my tablet and a book to read during the flight. Overall, I would highly recommend Spirit Airlines for quick travel. You get what you pay for and for the cost, I was beyond satisfied with what I got!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Dennis Wallace    (USA)

Big

Flew out to Las Vegas on flt 245 leaving Chicago 05/30 and returned on flt 356 out of Las Vegas on 06/03. Well I signed on here to complain about my flight to Vegas, but it looks like I'm preaching to the choir. It's nice to know we get just what we pay for in this case one notch up from nothing. Rude flight attendant's, little or no service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by J Cho    (USA)

Standard

I flew from LAX to Chicago during the memorial day weekend. Don't get tricked by their low-priced flight, because it is not low at all. Let me tell you why. I booked my flight through priceline which lists all different types of airlines. Spirit came up on the very top because of its "low" price. We picked Spirit because of its price and the flight schedule. Little did we know, right after we booked, found out that they charge for every carry on or check-in luggage. I've never seen any airlines that charge for carry on, so we wanted to cancel it, but it was too late (no full refunds, only partial flight credit). We decided to just have one huge bag to check-in (it's cheaper than a carry on if you pay before you get there). Service was slow and horrible. No snacks/beverage provided. Seats were tight/uncomfortable. Flight was shaky both times. I saw a lot of people who didn't know about the luggage fee so they had to pay upfront which was $100 for a carry on. I'm sure most of people, including myself, paid more than any other airlines because of all these additional fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by K Thompson    (USA)

Standard

My assistant booked me on Spirit from LaGuardia to O'Hare because their flight times fit my schedule. I didn't really know anything about this airline so I got blindsided by fees and poorly communicated flight changes. Round trip, both flights were delayed without explanation. On my return trip, the gate was changed but the information was not updated on the boards - which caused panic and chaos. To board, we walked down this employee-only stairway, outside and threading through construction cones and baggage carts to walk up a plank to the airplane. There aren't words to describe how degrading the whole experience was. Note: I'd like to be able to rate seat comfort, inflight food and entertainment but there was none.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by C Lees    (USA)

Standard

Very disappointing experience not to be repeated. First, there is a hard edge to the flight attendants. On the flight to Detroit one was so shrill into the microphone that several of us plugged our ears with our fingers. The flight attendants must be told to hawk the promotional credit card because on the flight to and from Detroit they spent quite a bit of time just before the final descent trying to hawk the cards. The departure to Detroit was delayed by 100 minutes. I paid an extra ten dollars on both flights for extra leg room. For the first time ever, my knees touched the seat pocket of the chair in front of me and I was unable to cross my legs without extreme contortions. Charge of 3.00$ for everything (including water). That money grabbing attitude of grab every buck you can is very off-putting. Also, the one personal item allowed (and charging for a carry on) is also money grabbing. The round trip cost of 435.00$ from Orlando to Detroit was no bargain. Inflight entertainment is non-existent as is staff service. Seat comfort is a joke. The seats recline about two inches.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by S Brown    (USA)

Standard

LAX to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Flight 866 on June 10 and return on 869 from Dallas on June 13th, 2014. This is the worst airline ever booked! Deceptive prices on all travel sites with exorbitant excessive charges. Rude service, old plane. 4 hour flight delay without notification. Do not book with them thinking it's a good deal. You are very lucky if anything goes as you expect.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Angela Sikkema    (USA)

Standard

My son was booked to go from Detroit to Los Angeles. With the only explanation of we don't have enough stewardess for the flight the flight was cancelled. No help getting a 17 year old on another flight - no help with a hotel. And forget about the 3 hour drive to and from the airport with gas at $4 a gallon. They don't care about any inconvenience at all. They are not cheap and then nickel and dime you to death. Save your money - go with Southwest any day!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by K Donley    (USA)

Big

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica where we flew on Spirit for the first time. I should have had the first clue when they charged for carry-on luggage! When we started on our trip we couldn't believe that they charged for everything including water! On a 4 hour flight! Then to continue the abuse they didn't have pillows or blankets even for purchase so I was freezing for 4 hours and bought 2 blankets during our layover to continue on to Costa Rica. Then on our return trip from Costa Rica they charged us another $25 because we were supposedly over-weight on our luggage. They weighed a total of 91 pounds for 2 suitcases which was the same as when we left LAX since we really didn't buy much. Usually international flights allow 50 pounds! They wouldn't allow water or drinks on the plane even when purchased in the airport after we had been through security so they checked our carry on luggage again right before we boarded at the gate. This is obviously an effort to force you to buy on the plane. Needless to say this was our first and will be our last flight on Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by S Bergere    (USA)

Standard

This was my first trip with Spirit. They are awful. I had a round trip with four segments. Their turnover is abysmal, with filthy seats and missing seatback information all along the way. From LAX to Houston, seats did not recline - not an option. On NK561 from Las Vegas to LAX, there was no water in the bathrooms. On segment from DTW to Las Vegas same day, only one bathroom was operational! They cancelled a last flight out of DTW on me, then went ahead and still charged me yet again for seat selection. They have a policy that also charges you a fee for water. Highly recommend opting for any other airline option you can find.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Bill Ramos    (USA)

Standard

3 of us were booked on a flight to Chicago, flight was delayed 3 times. Their boarding process seems like a mob rush as they said we had to board before 12pm after being delayed so many times. We finally got to our destination over 3 hours late. On the way back to NY same fiasco which actually got worse: flight was also delayed several times, and just before finally waiting to be boarded flight was cancelled. They said the next available flight would be in 2 days, they provided us no help in getting booked on another flight. They actually left us in the dark. Will never ever never fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Donna Hurley    (USA)

Standard

I booked what I was lead to believe was an AA flight through Expedia and got stuck in some bate and switch scam that trapped me in flights with Spirit. A discount flight ended up being the most expensive flight I have paid for going into LAX. Over crowded seating, no drink service, and terrible customer support.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Kim Carlucci    (Canada)

Standard

Flew Spirit for the first time for a trip to Las Vegas. Horrible! Very cramped. I complained to my friend who was sitting beside me and was then harassed by the flight attendant. Will never fly with them ever again. They don't inform you that there is no entertainment and no food or beverage service. You can purchase a beverage or snack, but only by credit card. Customers should be made aware of this.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Hina Lakhani    (USA)

Last month traveled with my husband and daughter. We had a connecting flight from Dallas to Chicago which was delayed twice, finally they boarded us and brought us back to the gate due the weather and was told flight would be delayed an hour, but later it was canceled and next flight offered was not until two days later. No accommodation was offered and crew at the desk had no idea what they were doing. I paid $1100 dollars to take A flight back to Chicago with A different airline. Worst airline and customer service I have ever had.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by T Thompson    (USA)

Standard

This is the first and last time I will fly Spirit. I would catch a greyhound bus to my destination before I bother to book a flight with them again. This Airline is terrible and they have extremely poor customer service. When you buy your tickets you think that you are getting a deal because they are cheap! But if you plan to board the plan with a carry-on bag and checked luggage your in for a rude awakening! If you know what's best for you, stay far away from this airline! That was just the beginning of my terrible experience!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Jaime Terryah    (USA)

Standard

I fly at least 6 times a year. I have a certain bag that I use, and have used for over 10 years now as a carry on. It fits in every overhead bin I've ever encountered, I've never had to check it, as I don't check bags ever. So I was flying to a few states to do various things last week, and had booked a few one way tickets, one being a Spirit flight. I checked in online and went to my gate to board and they made me pay $100 to carry on my carry on! I was astounded. I have never had to do that in my entire life. No other airline has ever done this, and to pay that much is atrocious. Their hidden fees are robbery. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by James Sligar    (USA)

Big

The whole experience was bad. The purchase of the ticket, then the purchase of a seat, then to have to pay to carry my briefcase onboard, then the charges for a bag to be carried on were higher than checking a bag and finally the lines at check - in were very long and slow. It felt like a 3rd world country, government owned airline. The website was not user friendly. The seats were very uncomfortable. The one positive comment that I can make was that the flight staff was very nice and had good customer service. The whole experience was rinky dink. I will go out of my way to avoid Spirit. I fly about 60 times a year and I will take my business elsewhere.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Charles Grounds    (USA)

Big

First and last time I will fly with this airline. The crew were friendly and helpful but that is where the good things stop. Their "low price" only gets you a ticket unless you want to fly on the wing or cargo hold. You have to pay extra for any seat, baggage fees are far more than any other airline and you can't even fly with a carry on much larger than a purse or you pay $30.00. Once we landed we waited for about an hour just to get our bags. The management of Spirit airlines seems to be working very hard at making this airline the worst of the worst.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Dale Flowers    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit 5 times in the last three months. Every single flight has been significantly late. My flight tonight was scheduled to depart at 9pm, now saying delayed until 10.30. It's not weather, I checked. And all the other flights are running on time. Delay, delay, delay. The equipment is fine and the staff are friendly so as long as you don't actually need to get to your destination, its not bad.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by C Smith    (USA)

Standard

I was flying back from Vegas into Oakland and my plane was 5 hours late due to not having a flight crew. They had to fly in a crew from Detroit. We got no warning even though they had to know that the crew wouldn't be there on time. I came to find out that out of my group of friends flying with Spirit that weekend, I was the lucky one. I had 8 different people flying out on 4 different flights. One flight was 9 hours late, another was 10 hours late and the last one was canceled altogether. I had to pay $90 to carry on a small bag when it should have been $70 but since there was a problem with their site I couldn't log in so I had to call and by the time I got done waiting on hold and they fixed the site it was then within 24 hours of my flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by W Charles    (USA)

I didn't wait in any lines for more than 10 seconds, and the people who worked there were fairly nice, no complaints about that. Basically everything was perfect until you're about to board. Their 'zone' boarding process should be reconsidered. The first two zones are small amounts of people, then become mobs trying to form a line when they call for the third and fourth zones. You really get what you pay for with Spirit when it comes to the seat, being that I'm 6'2, the seat didn't offer me anywhere near the necessary amount of space to travel with comfort. No TVs and no complementary food and drinks. At the end of the day, they got me there and back in one piece, quickly and for a low cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Tiffany Negron    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from New York to Detroit, then to Vegas, round trip. My first and last time I will fly with Spirit. All 4 flights were beyond dirty. Food crumbs all over the floor and seats, the tray tables were so dirty they were stuck closed, and on one flight I could see someone's face still imprinted on the seat in front of me. The seats have got to be the most uncomfortable seats I have sat in. It felt like I was sitting on a rock for 4 hours. To top it all off, the seats do not recline and leg room is non-existent. Do not be deceived by the low price, it does not included baggage fees and drinks and snacks on the plane. Unless you are traveling with nothing but a purse, you are forced to pay for your bags. $35 for carry-on and $30 to check them, and that's only one way. If you are dying of thirst or hunger, prepare to spend $3 for a can of soda or $5 for a small snack. Never Again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by S Lipniskis    (USA)

Standard

Just flew Spirit Airlines for the first time last week and was very pleased. They are great with little kids (I have 2) and the attendants and all staff were very kind and helpful. I did my homework online ahead of time so I knew what to order as far as my luggage when I booked our tickets. There's no fine print, they don't hide anything. I compared to other airlines and it was far cheaper for us to fly Spirit. If the snack and beverage and free suitcase mean that much to you then do the math. you still pay for all that with the other airlines. Our flight was on time and our return flight made amazing time from Orlando to Pitts. We will definitely use Spirit in the future!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by L Hannegan    (USA)

Standard

Our flight from MSP was scheduled to leave at 11:.30am and it didn't leave until 5.45pm. We were told it was due to weather, mechanical problems and not having a crew available to fly the plane. The first delay stated we would leave at 1.30, then 3.30 and at noon we were told a plane was on it's way. The plane arrived 2 hours later (from Chicago which is a 45 min flight) and sat there until 5.45 because the pilots weren't available. Spirit offered a $7 food voucher and a $50 credit for a future flight - which is laughable and something we'll never use. Lesson learned - you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money to buy a ticket on a more reliable airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by Judy Bess    (USA)

Standard

I recently took a trip with Spirit and it was about the worst experience I have had traveling. I do quite a bit of travel and on this particular trip the flight was delayed 4.5 hours for mechanical problems. I was never informed of the delay until I got to the airport. Fortunately had a family member taking me and I was able to spend some extra time with her. We were given $7.00 food vouchers in an airport where the restaurants close at 7.00, what does one eat for $7.00. I was told to go to Hudson news and get candy or drinks.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Pamela Romine    (USA)

Big

I flew from DFW to Myrtle Beach and back. Only airline that offered a non-stop flight. Both flights were on time. No over booking. Very polite and accommodating employees. No complaints. It was a very pleasant experience, and will fly Spirit again. Just go to their website and pay for your carry on or checked bag ahead of time. You can carry on water or food. They also provide them for a small fee. You are allowed to carry on a small bag , purse, or back pack for free 16x14x12. I didn't purchase any food or beverages and there was no Entertainment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by M Kally    (USA)

Standard

Flight delayed 7 hours with no notification or explanation. Waited 40 minutes on hold to speak with a customer service rep who had no information for me and offered no solutions. Horrible experience, will never fly with them again! Horrible customer service not to mention ridiculous fees. No mobile boarding passes and they charge $10 to print your boarding pass at the airport. No complimentary beverages, no inflight entertainment, seats are small and crammed and all rows recline like the emergency exit isle seats- an inch or less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by B Percy    (USA)

Standard

My family visited from overseas, 6 of us were booked to fly from Houston-Vegas on 12 May. For the 10.20pm flight, no announcements made until 1am, then at 2am they cancelled the flight. No announcements whatsoever. Spirit did not offer another flight until 2 June. We had already paid for our hotel, show tickets purchased - does Spirit care for their Customers? Not come across such poor service in the airline industry (and I fly all over the world).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by J Hawkins    (USA)

Standard

Had the opportunity to fly Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas r/t. Can sum up the experience in one word - awful. Never again will I (or the 5 others from Baltimore on the same flight) fly Spirit. While in Vegas I met someone from another city who had flown Spirit also. Their opinion - never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by R Toller    (USA)

Standard

We flew Spirit Airlines last week from Detroit to Costa Rica and our experience was beyond our expectations. We were greeted by the customer service representatives during our check in process and encountered no problems. We did our homework ahead of time reviewing bag weight limitations, seat assignments and we did come prepared with our boarding passes printed. All of these instructions are available to you when you purchase your ticket online. There are no hidden surprises as long as you read and go through all the instructions when booking your flight. Once we boarded the plane we were once again greeted by the attendants and they were very well dressed and represented by Spirit in a professional manner. We received professional service on the plane by the staff. On our return flight, we received the same treatment as our first flights. Our savings were $ 350.00 per person by using Spirit Airlines. Our group had a total of 27 people flying together and that added up very quickly to a huge savings. I'm not sure where all the negatives come from since our group experience was very well received by Spirit Airlines. My suggestion to those reading reviews and thinking about booking with Spirit is when you are booking your ticket is to take the extra time and read thoroughly through all the instructions and options and you will have no problems once you get to the airport because you will be prepared as we were.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by T Strickland    (USA)

Standard

My flight was delayed an hour. I did not receive any notification. We boarded the plane another 30 minutes behind schedule. It gets even better! We waited another 2 hours on the plane while they fixed an issue with the plane. There were no apologies for the inconvenience. The flight attendants were very rude and avoided eye contact with the passengers. I've never been treated so poorly by an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Lisa Butcher    (USA)

My father in law flew in to Denver from Las Vegas over the Memorial day weekend on Spirit. Paid $45 each way for his bag, so $90 total in addition to the flight! His flight back on Sunday was to come from Dallas to Denver and then on to Vegas, and was listed on their website as on time at all points that we checked it. However, they finally informed them, at the scheduled departure time, that it was cancelled due to weather in Dallas. They offered no meal voucher, no hotel voucher, nothing. And we asked, but they evidently have no partner airline willing to work with them to re book passengers on. They rescheduled him to Monday at 6.34pm. Again, all online and live operators told us the flight was on time. And yet again, they told them at their scheduled departure time that it was once again delayed due to mechanical issues. But they “thought” they would have it fixed and have them in the air by 10pm. They did give them a $7 food voucher, but what exactly can you buy for $7 in an airport? Finally at 9pm (too late to book with any other airline) they tell them that this flight too is cancelled. Again, no partner airlines to book them on and again, all website info still said it was on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Gandy Thomas    (USA)

Standard

Great trip, friendly service. Flew return DFW-Denver. On time both ways. Flew the r/t for about $100. This was my second trip with Spirit and would definitely use them again, I have no complaints at all.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by M Arterburn    (USA)

Standard

Being kind, they are the worst airline I have ever "flown." They said that out flight would be delayed because they could not find a plane, and then they strung us along, found a plane, boarded us, deplaned us, and finally canceled the flight. The representatives at the service desk were so rude and did not seem like they wanted to help me at all. They treated me like a kid! I am still trying to decide if I want to rebook my flight with them or just eat the cost and fly with a real airline. The tickets may be cheap, buy they nickel and dime the hell out of you. Also, when we boarded, there was not enough leg room for me, a man at 6ft. It was so cramped. I think they try to cram as many people on the plane to make up for the cheap airfare. Don't waste your money, go and spend it with a real airline like United, American, or yes, even Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by D Ray    (USA)

The worst airline in existence. We traveled from New York to Dallas this past weekend. We hovered over Dallas for 30 minutes because of weather and were then told we would have to re-route to Houston. After flying to Houston our plane and 2 others sat on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting to fly back to Dallas. Spirit apparently only has 3 pilots because they couldn't find one to fly us back so they ended up putting all passengers on the 3 planes on buses to go back to DFW. We ended up renting a car and driving back as we had paid for an airline ticket not a bus ticket. I will never use Spirit again. They are unorganized and not very helpful. Huge waste of money after the all of charges for seats and luggage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Erika McLaughlin    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines lures you in under the guise that you are receiving a cheap ticket, but they make you buy your bags and your seat. When all was said and done I could have booked a JetBlue flight for the same amount of money and a much nicer airline. My flight flew into Detroit on the way to Las Vegas, next set of crew was 1 hour late. Flight was delayed in Detroit one hour with no explanation of delay.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Gloria Rice    (USA)

Standard

Spirit has been traveled by my family and I on three separate occasions because the fare was lower. Unfortunately we did not communicate with each other about the hidden fees and poor customer service at the airports. The seats are too small, they try to force you to pay for seating, if there is standard seating available and chosen it's liable to change once on flight. When attempting to print boarding passes for return flight it will not allow until seat is purchased and charge additional to check-in at the airport. Forced to pay $45 for carry on piece of luggage because it has wheels? No assistance to passengers with long delay lines in security when flight time is close. Flight times change continuously when booking early and checking flight information online is impossible. No problem with flight attendants - only customer service prior to boarding.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Ann Stauffer    (USA)

Standard

When I booked my ticket to Las Vegas, Spirit was the cheapest, little did I know that 24hrs before my flight I had to pay another $100 for my seat choice (window nothing special) and pay to check my bag-it was more if I carried it on. I called customer service, it took me 8 tries to get to talk to a live person. I finally get through and the lady told me that I have to pay to pick my window seat $18 each way. I get to O'Hare and get in line to check my bag, the young lady that helped me never talked to me, she only motioned for me to give her my ID and gate pass - she was busy on her cell phone. She tagged my bag and pointed for me to take it to another guy. No complimentary beverage on the flight. Coming home: Spirit only allows 40lb for a checked bag or they will charge another $25. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by S Gardner    (USA)

Standard

Our flight from Chicago to Houston was cancelled on Sunday by "air traffic" according to the ticket counter. So therefore Spirit was not responsible for finding us another flight, helping with hotels or anything. Basically they said you are on your own. We could take a refund or wait until Tuesday when they could rebook us. So we took our refund, booked with another airline and made it out of Chicago. We will never again fly Spirit. You get what you pay for.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by P Spivey    (USA)

Standard

This is an economy airline and if you are cheap like I am and willing to do some research, Spirit Airlines offers a great product at a very affordable price. Three of us traveled from Chicago to Atlantic City and back with three checked bags for a little over $500. Yes, they will charge you for everything extra but plan on packing lightly, bringing your own snack and printing your own boarding pass, and you will avoid the extra fees. They are serious about the size of carry ons and personal items so simply be careful when you pack. We found the staff professional and competent, the flights on time and appreciate the opportunity to fly frugally.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by R Garner    (USA)

Standard

My family and I (2 adults/2 kids) just returned from a Spirit Airlines roundtrip from Houston to Orlando. Airplane was new, flight attendants were professional and courteous, and though the seats were a bit closer than some other carriers, they were still reasonably comfortable - and I'm 6'2". I think much of the concern voiced with Spirit is for those who may have not fully read all of the charges/fees that are broken out. This is definitely a different business model; however, even with paying for some checked bags and seat assignments, we still saved more than $400.00 as a family. Yes, they charged for a coke, however it was still cheaper than at the airport stands/kiosks. As a family of 4 we only had to check/pay for one bag and we each had a backpack that was free. It may take a bit of strategy in your packing; however, we stayed in Orlando for 8 days and did not have any problems with what we brought. I can certainly understand how shocking it might be to see all of these fees - but you must consider the final cost in comparison. I had never flown Spirit before, but was positively impressed. I think the real key to flying Spirit is to engage in a "Spirit 101" course, by really examining their website for all costs and services, so that there are no surprises. I also noted that things like car seats, umbrellas, food, reading materials, and so forth can be taken on the plane with no additional cost and these items do not count against your personal bag/backpack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by T Fredericks    (USA)

Standard

This past week, I flew with Spirit Airlines for the first and last time. Every single person that my husband and I dealt with besides the flight attendants, were rude to us. “Well if you don't remove something for your bag to get the weight down we will have to charge you extra for that.” No eye contact, no smile, no “Hello”or Good Morning.” When we got to the ticket counter with our boarding passes already printed, the woman behind the counter didn't even look up at us to acknowledge that we were standing in front of her for three minutes. It took every bit of my patience to not ask if she was blind. This is a very unwelcome airline. There is absolutely nothing complimentary on this airline. My husband and I paid for everything, from our one checked bag ($40 to start, if overweight, you'll be paying an extra $25 on top of that), to water and soft drinks on the plane ($3 and up). Anything that you bring onto the plane, besides one carry-on is $50 before you hit the terminal, and $100 at the terminal. To boot, when we purchased our tickets, we were given the option to pick our seats on the aircraft for a fee which was $36 a seat. Never in my life did I ever pay for seat assignments and I certainly didn't do it this time. My husband had absolutely no room to move his legs, I couldn't even put my head on his shoulder without getting jabbed by the armrest that couldn't be pushed in an upright position enough to be out of my way. The button to recline my seat didn't work. The tray table for my husband's seat wouldn't adjust to sit properly and was wobbling, so we had to share my tray table between us. There is no inflight entertainment. No TV's.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by P Harris    (USA)

Standard

Just got off my first Spirit flight (Boston-Ft. Lauderdale-Tampa). Schedule matters most to me, and tonight Spirit was my only option. I actually like Spirit's pay-for-carry-on program. By paying for a large carry-on, you get to board the plane first. That relieves huge stress and clearly reduces the number of people dragging large suitcases onto the plane. The boarding time was pretty fast. The flight attendants were very courteous. The space between the seats is very tight. I'm 6/0” and my knees were jammed in. That said, both of my flights were full. So obviously Spirit is meeting a market demand. I think all these negative reviews are from non-frequent fliers. But Spirit makes it possible for people to fly who may otherwise not be able to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by T Polak    (USA)

Standard

The plane was fully booked, including 5 extra rows that didn't exist. I paid extra for an exit row, because i am tall. My ticket said exit row, but when I got on the plane, all of the rows were shifted 2 rows, so I ended up in a regular row and a family with a 6 month old ended up in the exit. As i am sitting here, they are forcing anyone who can't find their ticket stub off the plane to reprint a new one. I will never fly this airline again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by M Gustafson    (USA)

Standard

Flight delayed 2 hours - given 2500 bonus miles, have tried online and can't get a telephone number to speak to anyone about not being able to register this certificate. Online registration tells me incorrect cert #, but number typed is correct, and since no one available by phone, have to assume Spirit does not actually want to have anyone use these bonus miles. Corporate number listed online not in use, can't get a live person on phone, only canned instructions and then when followed they don't work. A joke of an airline and I shall never use again. Worst website ever!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by A Dillaway    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is the worst airline we have ever traveled on. This was our first, and will definitely be our last time we will ever travel with them. You have to pay for everything; seat assignment, Carry-on bag, checked bags; any drinks or snacks on board. No complementary water, no free coffee, no free soft drinks. Everything has a price. I'm surprised they don't charge to use the toilet? If you don't prepay for your carry-on bag on-line, you get charged $100.00 for it at the terminal. We saw several people discover that when they were in line to board the plane –needless to say they were very upset! There is basically no leg room at all. I am about 5’-8” (short by today’s standards) and I had only about 2 inches of room between my knees and the seat back in front of me. On 3 out of the 4 of the planes we traveled on the seat-backs were locked in one fixed position with no adjustments available -– great for ones back on flights of over 3 and 4 hours, particularly for seniors? Or outgoing flight from Oakland, CA went smoothly until we got to Chicago, IL for our connecting flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We had flight delay of over 3 hours and finally arrived at our destination in Ft. Lauderdale, FL at 1:00 am, too late for the free shuttle to our hotel. It cost us $50.00 to get another shuttle. If you don't down-load your boarding pass on-line, you have to pay extra for it at the terminal. After downloading your boarding passes on-line, the heading of your boarding pass states "Congratulation! You are eligible for Fast Bag Drop" Then it goes on to state that customers wanting to check bags must do so 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. n our return flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL our shuttle dropped us off at the terminal with 1 hr. 15 min. to spare before our scheduled flight. The problem with that is when you arrive at the counter for "Fast Bag Drop" there was only one agent handling that, and the line was like a Disney World line waiting for a popular ride. There were about 6 other agents waiting patiently for customers who had to pay for their checked bags; carry-on bag and boarding passes. My wife and I who are over 70 year old seniors attempted to use one of these "observing agents" to give them our bags and was directed to get back in the long curving line. I questioned where the “Fast Bag Drop” is and was totally ignored. Spirit should rename it to “Snail Pace Bag Drop” which would be far more appropriate! On 2 of our 4 flights we had to listen to an annoying lengthy sales pitch by the flight attendants who were attempting to get customers to sign up for Spirit’s frequent flyer Master Card. I should point out that two positive things about Spirit Airlines are that the flight attendants were mostly friendly and polite, and our checked bags arrived safely with us at our destinations. Spirit Airlines advertises itself as the first no frills airline and I must congratulate them on that -– they most certainly are!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Priscilla Lauriano    (Canada)

Big Seat

I just flew from Florida to Boston a few days ago. We were in the standard seats. It was the worst experience I have ever had in an aircraft. If there were negative reviews I would have given it a negative 5. First off, there is a hidden baggage fee that you must pay over $50 for a carry on suitcase. Once, Spirit tried charging a seat fee, a hidden fee that charges you for being seated (not the actual ticket, ticket was already bought). I was so enraged and complained because I would rather go standing if they tried to charge me to sit. The planes are uncomfortable, crowded, and they charge you for one drink (non alcoholic). The plane seemed to be in horrible condition, very cheap. The group I was in agreed to never fly on such a terrible airline again. To anyone who reads this, please never fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Peter Siven    (USA)

Big Seat

I have been flying Spirit Air since I compare their price to that of Southwest and difference was outrageous. I want to save and anything that helps me save is the way to go. Been flying Spirit regularly between Chicago and Dallas for under a $150 round trip. I have recommended Spirits to all my friend but let them know the baggage policy. I don't carry a lot of stuff other than my little bag and my computer bag.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by D Butler    (Canada)

Big Seat

Detroit flight cancelled after on board for 2 hrs. Lost a night in Vegas, we had to reserve rooms we did not use at our cost. Return flight, 2 hrs late taking off plus 2 hrs for luggage to be unloaded in Detroit. You would think that extra fees for luggage equals better service. Paid extra for EXIT seats, 32 inch legroom impossible for tall person.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by John Ogden    (USA)

Standard

Dallas to Boston and return. All went as expected. Seat spacing was not a problem for my 5-7 build. Would definitely do again for the price savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by M Cwiklinski    (USA)

Standard

We flew in on Spirit Airlines (LAX to ORD), and were so offended by how poorly the airline perceived customers (the staff were fine), that we decided to stay longer, so we wouldn't have to use the airline on the way back. It can be more expensive to fly Spirit, and you get less than the other airlines. The flight attendants didn't even have a cart. They had to bring all the food, and hot coffee two by two by hand.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by K O'Hara    (USA)

Standard

NYC to Fort Lauderdale last weekend. The flight cost $340. I ended up paying an extra $150 at the airports to bring my carry on bag. I booked this through a third party and was not warned about this extra charge. The overall price was outrageous. Flight attendants were not the friendliest. When I placed a drink order, instead of getting my order, the flight attendants hung out at the front of the plane laughing and talking together.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Felecia Kelley    (USA)

Standard

Booked 2 tickets to fly using Spirit. One for my daughter, the other for myself. Due to an emergency, plans changed and needed to change my flight. Spirit Airlines unwilling to accommodate - charge me $125 PLUS $33.98 for a total of $158.98 just to cancel and the trip was a month away. Rude Customer Service reps with the most horrendous language barrier!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by D Whipple    (USA)

Standard

Recent flight from Minneapolis to Fort Lauderdale Round trip - I appreciate the fact that you know up front that there will be additional fees, you definitely pay for everything extra but with that said for the actual money spent it was still cheaper for this particular route than any other carrier. As a previous review had stated the scale on the bag drop is 3 pounds off than the sale at the desk so be aware of that. You also must check to make sure your personal item fits into their dimensions otherwise they will charge you $100 as a carry on (saw this happen to someone). My biggest negative issue was that magazine holders behind the seats were either broken or just so old that they were hanging loose so that when you sat down your knees were pressed against the seat in front of you. Definitely not comfortable for any length of time flying. Compared to other airlines the seating was very close and cramped. Would not recommend Spirit regular seating if you like to have space for your knees. Everything else was as expected for no frills, no beverage, no snack, no movie, just a "bus" ride and not on a coach bus.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by Diego Morcillo    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I were going to Detroit Michigan to see her family, when we got a call the her cousin mother had a stroke. We were forced to cancel our trip so we call Spirit to explain the situation. They gave us two options: 1- re-schedule the trip for a fee of $125 per ticket ($250 total) or option 2 - cancel for the same fee plus $16 more per ticket for cancellation fees. Now the second option still does not give your money back. They give you the money in credit and with the condition that you will have to use that credit to buy a ticket within 60 days, and the trip can be schedule within a year. Therefore not only they eat up 60% of your money but you cannot get your money back you can only get a credit that in order to use that credit you also have conditions. This means that after taking the penalty for not being able to use the tickets you still penalized by not being able to get what is left of your money plus the penalization of having to reschedule within 60 days plus the penalization of having to flight with them, an unreasonable and abusive company. After this event I am sure I will lose 100% of my money, since I won't be able to buy an extra ticket with that credit plus the reason that I don't know when will I have time and chances to go anywhere. I will never buy with Spirit Airlines again, I feel sorry for the employees that have to work for this type of company and their fliers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by Jill Zaslavsky    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Fort Lauderdale, Flight delayed 30 minutes, got to check in, already printed out boarding pass and pre-paid for checked bag, said I could get in the fast check in lane - the line was very long! The scale prior to check in weighed three pounds lighter than check in scale. Many seats on my flight were double booked and had to wait for everything to get fixed before take off.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Bill Eaton    (USA)

Standard

Maybe the worst experience I have had with an airline. The apathy is almost unbelievable. My flight is delayed for almost 3 hours due to "weather". It is perfectly sunny right now from Houston to Denver.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by S Martin    (USA)

Standard

We flew Spirit Airlines from Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada and our flight left PDX 1 hour and a half late due to a starter problem with the engine. We were told that the plane had to be started at the gate due to the starter issue. To me, the plane should have not been flying with an issue like that. Also, we had to pay for our luggage as well as pay extra if we wanted to pick out own seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by L Miller    (USA)

Standard

I had seen a lot of negative reviews online but chose to fly with Spirit anyway because of their very cheap fares. After experiencing flying with them I thought it was important to throw in my two cents. It was an extremely positive experience. They do not hide their baggage model and conforms practically to their "pay for what you use" ethic. I missed my flight but check in was very helpful in finding me another flight without any hassle. The flight itself was on time, the staff was friendly and productive. I look forward to flying with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Carla Bush    (USA)

Standard

Multiple delayed departures. Cancelled flight. Horrible customer service. No airline partners. The low fare was not worth the headaches. My trip in the end cost me more than if i would of bought a first class ticket with a reputable airline. What was suppose to be a 2.5hr flight, turned into 2 day nightmare. Had to rent a car to get to my next destination. Spirit refunded some customers but I needed to jump thru more hoops to maybe get a refund for cancelled flight. My relatives who likwise flew spirit this weekend different departure airport where likwise delayed coming and going. Avoid this airline, cheap fare not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by A Wallace    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip Latrobe to Myrtle Beach to visit family. Flight was delayed 3 hours in LTB to fix something on the plane - understandable. But what is really horrible about this airline is that the service is atrocious. I have not encountered a single nice or understanding employee of Spirit. They are unaccommodating and just plain rude. They advertise their flights as cheap but they simply are not by the time you pay all the fees at the end. Also, the $9 Fair Club is an absolute joke - none of the fairs are below $40, and you simply cannot get a flight for under $100 after bags and seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Michael Wigington    (USA)

Standard

My college kids went to Cancun. Their return flight was Cancun to Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago. Bad weather in Texas caused a long delay before a cancelation of their flight: there's only one flight in and out per day and that was their jet. Spirit representatives told stranded passengers the next flight available was 4 days later! They would only refund tickets, not re-route on another airline. Their excuse was a weather related problem which relieved them of any obligation of food vouchers, hotels, or compensation. It cost the students an extra $400 for buying tickets on United to get back home the next day after an all nighter in the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by D Tyler    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Chicago to Vegas and it was fine for the most part. Employees were friendly and the plane arrived on time. There was basically no leg room (I'm 6'0, 185 lbs) but it's not like my knees were on the seat in front of me. I joined the $9 club and had everybody I booked tickets for split that cost; our trip there and back was a couple hundred less than any other airline I looked at. The complaints about the lack of free food/drinks and high baggage fees are ridiculous to me. There is a reason the base price is so low so understand what you're buying first because I had zero surprises when I showed up at the airport. I wouldn't want to be on a Spirit plane for any kind of international flight (unless I made the seat upgrade) but for a 2-3 hour trip, the savings are worth it. This is especially true if you're traveling light. My only legitimate complaint was they lost my bag from Vegas back to Chicago but they shipped it to my house within a few days. I was the only one on the flight who lost his bags and I know losing bags is not an isolated occurrence for just Spirit. I'd give my experience an 8/10 and I would fly Spirit again for a domestic flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by A Janda    (USA)

Standard

I paid for a Spirit Airlines ticket, but my flight was cancelled the day of. The excuse given was bad weather for the incoming plane. Ironically, we checked other airlines, none of the others had cancelled incoming flights. Furthermore, my flight had few seats sold which I thought was very interesting and concerning. The flight was cancelled and the very few customers who had bought tickets were delayed from the morning to the afternoon. The problem is for people with connecting flights. This airline should not be called a "no frills" airline, but a "non caring" airline. When a consumer buys a ticket, there's a trust that the flight will be honored. People who were stranded weren't put up in a hotel. The resounding feeling from those on the flight was that they won't fly Spirit again. Once again, there are critical time sensitive reasons for travel. Once an airline breaks the customers' trust, it is hard to regain.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by R Evelyn    (USA)

Standard

I will never take Spirit again, my first and last time. Not such a bargain price when you have to additional $90 for carry-on luggage and you check in online. Would have been cheaper and a more flexible flight to fly with another airline. It. cost me almost $200 round trip from LAX to Las Vegas when it should have been $98 as advertised.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by B Cecil    (USA)

Standard

My second time flying Spirit and the last. First of all, who doesn't want to save a little and spend it on activities? The problem is that you don't realize until after you have booked that more fees are coming. I knew there would be seat fees if I chose to sit next to my traveling companion, and I also knew that I would have to pay for checked bags. What I didn't know until I received a reminder email to do online check in is that now Spirit also charges $10 per person if you do not do an online check in and print your boarding passes. After $160 extra for bags and cheap seats, they want you to pay to check in at the airport too. The real topper of all this is that my flight from Dallas, with a brief stop in San Diego, then on to Cabo, was all without any type of drinks because no one bothered to stock the plane, so after you ordered and they swiped your card, they came back and said "Oh, so sorry, we are all out of that". Also, after you pay for those seats, you may or may not get them. Its not worth the hassle and all the extra fees-at the end of the day it still costs as much to fly this "discounted airline" as it would to fly one of the others that is straight forward with the charges. Stop being sneaky and underhanded Spirit, no one appreciates it!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by D Miller    (USA)

Standard

May 8th, 2014, PDX-LAS. Flight 293. May 11th, 2014, LAS-PDX, Flight 360. The staff at the terminals are a miserable group of people and you can tell they hate their jobs. Departure was 4 hours late, from talking to other people this is not unusual. Return flight was also late. Paid for the trip and bags and seats and when the departure flight was so late I had to rebook on Alaska, tried to call Sprit but good luck with that. When I went to return found out they cancelled my return flight because I didn't make the original departure flight even though I paid! finally convinced the very miserable staff at the counter that it wasn't my fault I couldn't make their late flight. Flight attendants were pleasant on the flight but seemed to know that they work for a very low budget airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by D Bruns    (USA)

Standard

Never again will I fly Spirit, this was our first and certainly our last. Our return flight from Vegas to Dallas on May 7 2014 was originally scheduled to depart at 11.35 am, which turned into 8.35. No notification of flight status change until we checked in and were told it was delayed until 6.00 pm, which changed to 4.00 then to being cancelled. We were given vouchers for $7 which won't even buy you a sandwich in the airport! Customer service was off the scale of being totally unsatisfactory. We paid extra to have particular seats which on our return flight, we did not get. You would have thought the least that could have been done once boarded would have been to offer complimentary beverages, but no such thing. The experience was a total fiasco, to put it nicely. I am telling everyone I know that flies to avoid Spirit at all costs because it is not worth the few extra dollars you save for all the inconvenience and headache that comes with it. None of the other flights that came in during my 12 hour stay was on time, so obviously they didn't leave on time either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by T Burnier    (USA)

Standard

They cancelled my husband's flight 8 hours before he was to go. Only notified him through email, did not offer any flight alternatives. It cost us an extra $168 to get a rush ticket with another carrier. They would not cover the difference of cost to get the flight. Poor customer service - I waited on hold for over 30 minutes - spoke with an unfriendly customer service agent. Very dissatisfied - will only use Spirit again as a last resort.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Esta Miller    (USA)

We flew from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Spirit changed our flight out because of the flight not being fully booked. They gave us about a weeks warning, so that was not too bad as we could plan accordingly. However, on the way back from LA to Ft. Lauderdale we flew from LA to Chicago, changed planes and the next leg went to Ft. Lauderdale. While in the air from LA to Chicago, they canceled our second leg of the flight and the next flight out was 6 hours after we landed. Had they told us ahead, we could have planned accordingly. But to change it during flight is inexcusable. The man at the gate was uncaring and rude. We asked if they would put us on another flight landing in a nearby town. We were told that there was no room. 10 minutes later 6 people came up to the gate, late (they missed the flight we tried to get on). In other words, the guy lied, there was at least 6 empty seats on the plane and they could have put us on there as stand by. They also charge for sodas, snacks and beverages. If you wish to pick your seat you pay for that also.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by L Stevenson    (USA)

Standard

Plane was late to arrive to begin. Our flight was at 1.47pm, plane arrived at 2.10. Flight attendants couldn't be found. All passengers boarded the (very dirty) plane and the pilot announced (after 30 min) that they were experiencing mechanical issues. 15 minutes later a mechanic showed up. 30 minutes later they de-boarded us. We waited around in the airport with no answers. They kept telling us that they were "holding" the connecting flight. 1.5 hrs later the problem was "fixed". All passengers boarded again. As soon as everyone was on the plane the pilot announced that the mechanical issues hadn't been resolved. We were in Fort Myers in 80 degree weather and sitting in a plane with no AC. Eventually all told to de-board. We waited in the airport again for another 1.5 hrs, with still no answers other than they were still holding the connecting flight. Finally told that folks that had connecting flights needed to go back down to the Spirit ticket booth, it was going to be first come, first serve. Once all 60 passengers were back down at the ticket booth we again waited for at least 2 hours in line waiting for answers. They put us up in hotel rooms, but never told the hotel, and never notified the hotel shuttles that there were 60 people who needed transportation. We finally left the airport at 8.15pm! They gave us a food voucher, $7 per person, and $50 credit to fly their airline again. They are short staffed, the planes are dirty and the seats don't recline. Your knees were hitting the seat in front of you. You don't get any beverages or snacks on the flight. Bottom line is it was a horrible experience. It was a cheap flight that cost our family lots of money and stress. I don't recommend giving Spirit Airlines your business.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by S Tyrone    (USA)

May 6 2014. Purchased two tickets, BWI to LAS, depart 7.40 p from Balt. $416 plus $138 in seat selection charges. Plane delayed until 10.30p due to bird strike out of Pittsburgh. Updated to learn plane was hit by lightning twice. New departure 12.30 a. Plane coming in to Myrtle Beach, that plane didn't leave a Myrtle Beach for BWI until 10.45 p. Arrived around 12.45 a. Plane was grounded. A plane which had been sitting at our gate since 10.30p was activated for our flight, but it had to be prepped and fuelled. This added a half hour. We boarded around 1.15, the water system was out on this plane, toilets were available, but no one got to use them. We circled the tarmac and waited 30 min. for clearance to take off. Departure denied and the flight crew had timed out so we taxied back to the gate. Spirit offered us a rebook or refund. My issue is the ground logistic were to blame, no departure approval, they knew they were switching equipment, why not gas up the plane two hours prior. The reason the flight was cancelled was not due to bird strike or lightning, simple human error and gross incompetence. My wife and I arrived at BWI at 5.00 p spent $100 on airport dinner, $12 to park, almost 10 hours later to circle in a plane on the ground to drive home at 2.30 a. We have flown Spirit before, got to where we needed to go, but it really should not be this kind of gamble, customers should not be treated like freight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by M Gentile    (USA)

Standard

This was the worst flying experience I have had. I felt like I was sitting on top of the person next to me - and I am a relatively small person! I had no leg room whatsoever and my seat did not recline. How do you expect to sleep on a 5 hour red eye without even a slightly reclining seat! I even have a reclining seat when I take a $25 bus from NYC to Washington, DC! They call yourself the "most affordable airline" yet you charge for everything. $30 for a checked bag!? $18 for a seat. I will never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Kovacs Ron    (USA)

Standard

If you want feel miserable about yourself fly in this company. They are not cheap. They are always late. If they often cancel a flight, then you will be alone buying another ticket from a real company with last minute price. There is no such thing as customer service or respect for the customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by D Ottey    (USA)

Standard

I hadn't flown in years and was excited to fly again. Found the best rates with Spirit and was ready to go. Everything went downhill from there. Once you arrive, you get hit with all theses extra fees for everything from baggage to snacks and soda on the plane. Then the seats are so cramped, this is the first plane I've been on where my knees touch the seat in front of me. In the end, it would have been cheaper and more comfortable to fly with another airline. Never again will I fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by L Meinen    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit Airlines for the first time in March 2014 from Minneapolis to Ft. Myers, FL. We departed early and arrived early. The flight attendants were friendly. I only took a backpack so I had no additional fees. After three days I decided to stay longer so I went on-line and changed my return flight to a week later. The cost was a flat $130 change fee - way cheaper than the major airlines and also no charge for any difference in airfare. Once again we arrived 15 minutes early in MSP. I would definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by D Savage    (USA)

Standard

It is a shame that when you fly on this airline you must figure in the hours of delays and lies that the airline will give you. I was to fly from Myrtle Beach to Washington DC (Baltimore) at 5.22pm. They came across the intercom that the flight will be delayed until 8.30pm due to a bird strike against the plane. Then right before we get to board they delay it again until 10.01 due to 2 strikes of lightning against the plane. I have been watching the board and when Detroit hit their boarding time it went to 1.00am. Now the next flight out of Myrtle Beach is not until 5pm tomorrow night, that is if we don't take off at 1.00am. This is not what I want from an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by H Gossett    (USA)

Standard

Flying into Las Vegas, there was no alcohol to be had. We were told that the passengers coming from Vegas drank it all. The seats are super tight, the plane dingy, and the staff were extremely rude! Also, after booking flight and hotel, plans needed to be changed. Even though I tried to change hotel dates to leave earlier several weeks prior to our trip, there was no refund. We had to pay an astronomical amount to change our flight to come home early even though we requested the flight change weeks prior to our trip. Extra costs for boarding passes, carry on's and checked luggage made this trip much more expensive than if we would have booked through another carrier. Flying home from Vegas never happened. Best case scenario, flight home delayed for 6 hours. They would not comp anything and couldn't give an exact time to fly out. We were told that they would accommodate us in some unknown fashion if it the flight was delayed more than 24 hours. Needless to say, we paid for another flight to get home. We will never fly Spirit Airlines again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by J Rager    (USA)

Standard

I have never been on a worse airline. They hook you on the rate but you end up paying for all the hidden charges. I booked this airline for the direct flight but of course that did not matter when the flight was delayed 2 hours. The plane was dirty, garbage all over the floor, the seats did not recline, they were small with no space, you had to pay for your beverages! I have a family of 4 and when I tried to reserve our 4 seats together because I have small children I had to pay $10 per seat and then for my suitcases.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Michael Hixson    (USA)

Standard

I planned a trip with my family 4/12 through 4/28 to go to Guatemala to visit family. I pick Spirit Airlines because they seemed to give the best deal with later became very eye opening due to all the little charges for checking in bags and charging for everything under the sun! Because my bags were not checked in online I had to pay, a carry on had to be paid for, food on the plane was costly for what they had. Had I known all the money I would be charged I would have booked with a better airline. Spirit has the most unfriendly customer service people I have ever seen and were very rude to those that had questions. Spirit airlines nickeled and dimed us that it made our trip a little more stressful! I would recommend that you find another airline to fly on whenever possible. The next time I will book a flight that cost more just to avoid Spirit airlines! The seating is cramped and very uncomfortable! Inflight entertainment - what inflight entertainment. Spirit is a joke.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Gail Carter    (USA)

Standard

I feel that Spirit Airlines is in the business to nickle and dime a customer. These are the following reasons: Airline ticket may be reasonable but baggage cost $300 for 3 bags and 1 bag was a take on. Told to go online to save money for luggage prices, however, you had to pay additional money and/or join and pay for a membership, this was not initially told to me beforehand. It was an additional $10 if you had not already printed your boarding pass, plus if you wanted an assigned seat, that was also an additional $15. The plane seats were horrible, you could not recline in them, how would your back feel flying from Baltimore to Vegas round-trip, it was like standing up the entire time! Finally, the bundle menu, the prices were terrible and utilizing a credit card for a soda and cookies for $10 is ridiculous. Furthermore if your luggage was over 50lbs you are looking at an additional $80. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by F Kittlaus    (USA)

Standard

On the 4 flights I took with Spirit between April 24th and May 1st to Costa Rica from LAX and back, the flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Costa Rica was delayed several hrs, and both returning trips were delayed. One of which was my return trip from Costa Rica to LAX, in which the layover flight at Ft. Lauderdale was pushed back until 11pm which meant our flight would land at LAX to 2am. When I asked the customer service rep at Ft. Lauderdale if the airline could arrange for a shuttle or taxi to get me home because of the third delay of the 4 flights, she said she could do nothing but arrange for better seats for us. That meant very little to me considering Spirit has some of the worst seats I've sat in. Once on the plane I figured Spirit would at least offer their passengers a complimentary bottle of water for another delay. But no, they still wanted to charge us their insanely high prices for their beverages and food. All in all Spirit offered the worst flight experience I've ever had.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by A Johnson    (USA)

Standard

I was denied my seat by the ticket agents. I arrived, as instructed, over an hour before the flight (ATL-LAS). When I went to check in at the kiosk, a ticket agent explicitly told me to stop and stand in a different line. Once the agents finished texting and chatting with each other, they finally got to me - only to declare that I'd missed check-in. When I protested that I'd been standing in line the whole time waiting for them, they said I should have checked in via a kiosk. I replied that I had been checking in, until they told me to stop and get in another line. Then they offered to rebook me on a flight leaving 2 days later. The whole time I was at the ticket counter, the other agents were busy taking complaints from other customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by S Wu    (USA)

Standard

I just traveled from Denver to Fort Lauderdale this morning. My experience was great! Before I departed, I saw lots of unsatisfied reviews everywhere, primarily complained about the size of seats and services, I was very nervous and anxious. But it turned out Spirit Airlines was run as a normal low cost carrier, which you got what you paid for. I traveled with a backpack, which is able to put under the seat. I also had personal item. My final destination is to Lima, and I only paid less than $500 for round trip. It was really a great deal. I am about 5'3", so I don't feel the seat is as small as claimed. I would highly recommend this airlines to anyone I know. You will save a lot!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Theodore Sadowski    (USA)

Standard

I have been flying Spirit to Myrtle Beach since 2005 and have been happy, yes there are delays sometimes, however I like sitting on the ground instead of going in circles in the air. I agree on the weight of luggage, why only 40 lbs and not 50. as far as the staff and service, no problem. Going to MYR in 3 weeks I'll see if there are any changes to the bad.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Chris Wigle    (Canada)

Standard

Our first time flying with Spirit was March 2014. We boarded plane on time but sat waiting for over 1 hour with no explanation from the pilot or flight attendants. One passenger, finally fed up made a comment to one of the flight attendants stating that someone should make some kind of announcement as to what was going on. Shortly thereafter the pilot made an announcement that the problem was an oxygen tank in the cockpit. Flight attendants were very rude and chatted amongst themselves most of the time. Our second, and last time was the end of April. It should be noted both flights were booked at the same time otherwise we would have gone with another airliner. Flight was to leave at 7.20am but arrived late. Announcement was made that there will be a further delay because apparently the plane had hit a bird and it was to undergo an engine check. Pilots and flight attendants left the plane and 2 hours later it was fixed, pilots boarded however, no flight attendants were to be found, another 1/2 hour passed before the attendants arrived. We finally boarded and made it home. On both flights, the attendants could have been more respectful and just polite. Food purchases available could broadened. Flight #'s and info can be given if requested. We fly twice yearly at the least and would rather pay more to have polite attendants who keep their passengers inform if delayed, have bigger seats and more choices for beverage and especially food.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by J Colonna    (USA)

Standard

My wife had a one hour flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa at 9.45pm. It was then delayed until midnight. There was no problem with the plane, they just didn't have anyone to fly it! About a half hour before they were supposed to board, the flight gets delayed again! This time they will not be leaving until 1am. This airline should be ashamed of itself. No compensation was offered, just a half hearted apology. We will never fly Spirit again. I will pay extra to stay away.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Michele Donnelly    (USA)

Standard

This is an airline I will go out of my way to avoid. Small seats, rude flight attendants, delays and cancellations - it is the worst! They advertise super low fares, but then charge you 3.00 for a glass of water, and 25.00 for a carry on. They push a credit card application on you - promising mileage bonus coupons for completing it and turning it back in before you leave the plane. Then when you try to have the coupons applied to your account - they do not honor them. Complaints get you nowhere. It is not cheaper, and I will pay extra to avoid this airline in the future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Cindy Race    (USA)

Standard

Las Vegas from Minneapolis, flight 763, April 12, 2014. Return to Minneapolis from Las Vegas, flight 612, April 19. We were worried after reading reviews, however, our first trip with Spirit was professional from the moment we traveled to Las Vegas and back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by J Tufaro    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew from FT. Lauderdale to San Juan this past weekend. The flight left on time and was fine! True, this flight is only 2.5 hrs long, if you are on longer flights the seats are tight. We have used our credit card for free spirit flights, we've gone to L.A. twice, to N.Y and now to P.R. Bring snacks, reading material, a deck of cards, anything, because there is no entertainment, but for the cheap fares, we'll make the sacrifice.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Forbes Tyrone    (Bahamas)

Standard

Santo Domingo to Fort Lauderdale. The worst nickle and dime airline I have been on. It started at the counter in Santo Domingo. I had purchased a $45 carry-on baggage online. When I got to the airport I bought some rum. As I was connecting to Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas I would not be allowed to carry the liquor through. So I placed it in my carry-on and decided to check it in. I told the Customer service rep that I did purchase a carry-on for $45 but needed the bag checked in. The seats are right on top of you. There is no space to stretch your legs. If I don't pay for an exit row it is an uncomfortable experience. Then you have to pay for everything, water, cookies, chips, anything. The only hot meal they can offer you is a Cup O noodle soup. After I arrived the international area was crazy. We must have arrived with 4 or 5 other airlines. I had to wait over 2 hours to clear immigration. When I entered the Customs area I knew I would miss my flight. I asked the Gate agent if she could assist me because I only had an hour and a half before my flight. The staff member walked off. I am sorry but that is not how you retain customers and I can assure you unless Spirit is the only airline flying somewhere I need to go I will never patronize this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Charles Teer    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit several times in the past for the low fares and tolerate the bad service for the lower fares. I will never use Spirit again after what happened today. My wife's booked 2 tickets on the 4.25pm flight from D/FW to O'Hare. I was driving them to the airport at 2.30pm when she received an email from Spirit that the flight was delayed until 6pm. She checked the website and called customer service and confirmed the new flight time. We came home and then left at 4.20 to return to the airport. My wife checked the flight info and it was now moved back to the original time of 4.25pm. Once at the gate the agents explained that the delay was cancelled and that the flight was on time and it was our fault for not being at the airport at the original scheduled time. They recommended to catch the next flight at 6am the next day. Spirit reminded us the tickets were non-refundable and would give us vouchers for another flight to be used within 90 days. They finally agreed to refund the ticket prices when they verified they had sent an email about they new flight time, however no deal on the $80.00 unused baggage fees we paid.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Hilado Winston    (USA)

Standard

Terminal was overcrowded, plane was full, no movies, no snacks not even water, rough 5.5 hr flight. Seat belt sign on the whole time, discouraging bathroom breaks especially for older people.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Lelia Frakes    (USA)

Standard

Spirit isn't cheap as they advertise, the cost of the ticket, then the charge for a bag (even a carry-on is charged), $3.00 for water, even more for snacks, by the time you pay for everything it is around the same price as other airlines. The seats in Spirit are small, I am a short, average woman and I didn't even fit into their seats, at least with other airlines I always have enough room. The airline staff were horrible, they were always chit chatting with each other or someone they knew on the plane. I will never fly or recommend Spirit airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Elaine Thomson    (USA)

Standard

This was my 1st flight with Spirit airlines, from Oakland CA to Las Vegas, NV. The flight attendant's were very nice, even told me that I didn't have to check my bag in and just to add my purse to my bag which saved me money, the flight was great and the flight captain relaxed us with his jokes. I have flown all over the US and Europe and with the ease I had at checking in, the courteous staff and having any question answered promptly, I will definitely book again with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by J Beneschan    (USA)

Our flight from Cancun to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday 4/27/14 was delayed more than 2 hours due to an issue with one of their aircraft. This caused many people to miss their connecting flights, which is understandable. But the next available flights on Spirit to various destinations (Boston, Denver, Detroit, Orlando, New York, etc.) ranged from 24 to more than 72 hours later. Families with small children coming home from spring break were told that they would have to wait until Thursday to fly to Boston. Further, Spirit management did nothing to provide hotel accommodations for anyone stuck in Ft. Lauderdale, nor did they attempt to contract with other carriers to get any of these people home. The only message they gave us is that this is company policy. When some people became outwardly angry due to the time and financial hardships caused by this airline, Broward county sheriff's deputies were called in to keep order. Interestingly, one deputy told us they see this on an almost daily basis regarding Spirit because of so many people's frustration with this airline. Spirit has clearly put their bottom line far above customer service and care. We will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by C Ambroz    (USA)

Standard

I went from MSP to PHX round trip. Their flight attendants are good, the baggage is a fine price, make sure to pay online. My grandfather and I packed one checked bag and it worked out cheaper than a carry on. The problem is the aircraft. I really wanted Spirit to work but it didn't. Flight to PHX was delayed 2 hours and we missed spring training game for that day. We even boarded the aircraft taxied to the runway to find out the right engine was out. On the way back we were delayed half an hour for other mechanical issues. Everything is great besides the one component that really matters. I would give Spirit a second chance.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by A Martin    (USA)

Standard

Before flying with Spirit my family and I felt a little anxious. We didn't know anything about this airline, so we took a chance and the experience was nice. Excellent staff at the airports. Spirit is a Low Cost Airline, do not expect great service onboard. The itinerary was on time including layover at Fort Lauderdale. If someone is looking for save some money although you must pay for luggage, snacks, seat location, etc, this airline is a good choice. But if people want special service on board, first class, free luggage or seat location, this is not your best bet. The most important must be the air safety, excellent maintenance and well trained crews and if this airline does it, I have no complaints. After all everybody wants to arrive on time to your destination.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by James Crump    (USA)

We have flown on all the major airlines, we decided to try Spirit it was cheaper and I know why. It is like traveling in a sardine can, no leg room, seats didn't recline. I kept getting a knee in my back because the seats had no padding. After this trip if I have to fly I will never fly Spirit airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Anthony Russell    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst airline operating today. On my flight to DFW from Las Vegas, I guess the flight attendants were having a bad day because none of them smiled and they were rude. Granted, everyone has a bad day every now and then, but this flight crew were rude and snobby. Prior to boarding the plane, the desk attendant called for boarding zone 1, but 5 seconds later made an announcement for all boarding, which created a cluster because now everyone was in line. Returning to Vegas was just as bad, although the plane we were on experienced delays due to repairs. I think I'll just stick with Southwest Airlines for my economy flights.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 April 2014 by E Harris    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit a couple of years ago to Miami, FL. During that time I was not charged a fee to carry on a small roller bag going or coming back. This year I had the exact same bag and did not purchase the carry on fee because it was free before. Now I fly out of DFW and when I get to the terminal and wasn't allowed to board because I did not pay for my bag in advance. They allow one carry-on bag free of charge, but was told that my bag was too big and I also had my purse in my carry-on bag. Now they want to charge me $100! How did a carry-on bag go from $35 online to $100 at the gate on the exact same day? I told them that I had used the same bag before and wasn't charge so I asked if it was a new policy and was told that this policy had been in place for the past 3 years. Needless to say I ended up having to pay $100 for a small roller-bag and the lady in front of me was just as furious! Yes the flights are cheap, but they will get you in some small way to make up for the cheap flights!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by G Kennedy    (USA)

Standard

I must say after reading some of the past reviews prior to our flight, we were a little nervous. But once we had our first experience last week, we will fly with Spirit again. The airline gets us to point A to point B safely and a budget that will work for our family. If you want all the bells and whistles, go with a different airline. But if you think about it, it clearly states how much baggage fees will cost you during online reservation vs counter check in. People were surprised by the Luggage weight requirements, Printing out boarding passes, Leg room, Seat not reclining, really? Do we complain just to complain! We always want something for nothing!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by D Porter    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight from Santiago, Dominican Republic to Chicago, Illinois. This was booked with reservation because I traveled through Spirit a couple of years ago and had a horrible experience. At that time I vowed to not travel with this airline and when asked about the airline, I spoke of how horrible it was. I booked Spirit this time only because it was the most economical, not the best flight accommodations because I had 2 layovers Santiago to Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando and Orlando to Chicago, which Orlando's layover was approximately 10 hours, but for the price, why not. I went online to pay for baggage which Spirit happens to be one of few airlines that charge for first bag when flying internationally. I was confused that when I pay for baggage from Santiago to Chicago I had to pay double. I spoke with representative she stated once your bags are paid for, the charge is from Santiago to Chicago. When I arrived at the airport in Santiago I spoke with Customer Service Representative for clarity about the bags and bag charge. She stated my bags were paid only through my second layover which was Orlando, but from Orlando to Chicago the were not paid for. I explained to the Representative that I spoke with someone over the phone stating it was paid through Chicago. She spoke with her Supervisor, the Supervisor made the adjustment and I was on my way. Lines at Security once I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando were long, but moved very fast. Staff were friendly and helpful. My bags made it to my final destination Chicago without incident. Spirit has redeemed itself, I will fly again and recommend to everyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by P Vail    (USA)

Big

My husband and I recently flew Spirit for the first time on a flight from Boston to Ft Myers, FL. We had read all of the bad reviews, but decided to take our chances and try it because the price (even with all the add ons) was cheaper than other airlines and it was a non-stop flight. If you do your homework and educate yourself on all of their add on costs, there shouldn't be any surprises. The only thing I hadn't read about was their weight limit. It's 40 lbs. per checked bag, or 80 lbs. total for 2 bags for Spirit and 50 lbs. per bag for other airlines. We each checked a suitcase and a set of golf clubs and the combined weight of the 2 bags for each of us was a little over 80 lbs., but they allowed a little wiggle room and didn't charge us extra which we appreciated. The flights were on time and the planes were clean. We opted to pay $25 each way for exit row seats so we had plenty of legroom, but I did notice that the regular seats were quite close with little legroom. My only complaint was that the seats didn't have much padding and didn't recline. I would have no reason, based on my first experience, not to fly with this airline again. My advice to those contemplating flying Spirit would be to read and understand all of their policies, then there won't be any surprises.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Long    (USA)

Standard

Flew round trip from Detroit to Ft. Myers Fl, April 12 and April 19th. What happened to Spirit? Last time I flew with this airline was 9 years ago and I did not have 1 complaint but this time? Filthy is the first word that comes to mind. Food on the floors, dirty, greasy seats, and when I told the attendant that the tray table was filthy she handed me a napkin. Before I left I looked in the seat pouch to see if there were any comment cards and found a used vomit bag. Used. Besides the crud the luggage prices are ridiculously high. They charge $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). These are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, spouse, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. I would never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by B Scarpa    (USA)

Standard

My daughter that is pregnant had an emergency surgery and I had to get from Tampa to Dallas ASAP on a minutes notice. All other airlines charged between $700-$900 for a same day flight. I found Spirit and purchased a ticket for less than $400. I read upfront about the extra cost with baggage and food and planned accordingly. I took my one small backpack and bought my snacks and water and got onboard. The airport staff, and the flight attendants onboard the aircraft were extremely courteous and kind. Yes, the seats are closer and not quite the same aisle space but for getting me where I needed to go - fast and at a decent price. I had no flight delays and arrived on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Lalonde    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Chicago to South Carolina and back. Yes the flight was cheap and even paying for our bag still cheaper than anything else we could get. It is extremely annoying to constantly be asked for money while traveling. For your bags, if you want a specific seat, for water etc. don't expect to get anything without paying for it! Be prepared to wait in a long line if checking a bag as everyone checks a bag. The staff in South Carolina were very nice regarding weight, I think they realized their weight restriction is less than other airlines as they gave us a little wiggle room (most airlines are 50lbs they are 40lbs). If you fly Spirit pay for bag before checking in online it's the cheapest. If your flying with someone else book tickets together because your seats will probably end up together and bring snacks.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by G Hulet    (USA)

Standard

Flying Detroit to Dallas, and the flight was delayed 4 hours because the tail of the plane was broken. Apparently there are no back up planes. Called Spirit customer service twice, and received attitude. They would not book us on another airline, and only offered a 60 day voucher, but they would not tell us the amount or cap for this voucher. They also would not cover the taxes and fees associated with the voucher, or any of the other nickel and dime fees that come standard with flying Spirit. They offer the cheapest tickets because no one wants to fly their terrible airline, and because they scrap their quality from the bottom of the barrel across the board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Hommer Rebecca    (USA)

Standard

I am not a person who flies often. However, my experience with Spirit Airlines was the least enjoyable of any trip to date. The airports were dingy and dirty, the air planes were small and the seats were uncomfortable. These areas of discomfort would have been on the verge of acceptable if the cost of our flights really were less expensive than the other air lines. In the end, the cost of the bags (with a weight of 40 pounds max), the cost of a carry on and the fact that we had to pay to select our seat increased the cost of the flight to be equal of other carriers. The level of delays, not just for our flight but for every flight that day (and not related to weather) was unbelievable. The saving quality of Spirit was the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful even in the midst of cranky customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Puneet Vaid    (Australia)

Standard

Bogota to Las Vegas via Fort Lauderdale. Terrible experience, very dirty flight and extremely disorganized passenger service and operations. This airline having know the fact that it takes time to go through border control and homeland security gave us less than 1 hour at Fort Lauderdale airport to go through the security and immigration check during peak hours with over 300 odd passengers in a queue. This was at 18.45 hrs, I was supposed to be on my next flight unfortunately with Spirit at 20.00 so we had roughly 35 mins. As a result I missed my flight. In spite of the fact that the airlines knew that so many passengers were stuck in the queue with immigration they didn't bother to delay the flight by few minutes and left us in limbo. I went to the service staff and they said they could not ud to Las Vegas that night but the day after. They wouldn't provide a hotel but said they could get me to LAX airport that night and I could make my way to Las Vegas by taxi (at my own cost ). This flight was delayed by nearly 3 hours and I reached LAX at 2.30 in the on 15th leaving me no way whatsoever to reach Las Vegas by 4 am to board my next flight. I had to buy another ticket for my international flight for roughly $900.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by J Richardson    (USA)

Standard

Sure get a cheap flight, but you'll get to spend hours and hours at the airport waiting to get on your flight. I am in the middle of 3 hour delay that has been upgraded to a 6 hour delay. I could have spent this time on something productive instead of sitting in an airport. My mother's last trip involving Spirit included a 2 hour delay and on my last flight with spirit it was a 3 hour delay. Change your name to Delay Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Amy Moorman    (USA)

I recently flew round-trip from Detroit, MI to Las Vegas, NV April 4th and April 7th, 2014. The airplanes that Spirit used for both of these flights were absolutely filthy (grease prints from foreheads on the backs of the seats and dirt on the floors). But this was the least of my complaints, really. Spirit charges $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). If you would like to check your bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online, then it is $40 ($50 if you check-in at the airport). Oh, and these are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. I ended up paying $90 just to bring my carry-on bag on the plane with me. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, significant other, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. Those complimentary beverages? On Spirit they are not complimentary. $3 per beverage and obviously no free refills. So, while Spirit may advertise with those low prices flights, they will then screw you over by charging you a ridiculous amount for luggage (both carry-on and checked), your seat, and beverages that would otherwise be complimentary if you had chosen another airline. Do not fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by C Guthrie    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have booked through. There is a fee to pick your own seats, nothing is transferable if something beyond your control comes up. This is just not a consumer friendly airline, it's just plain greedy. It's not comfortable in the seats, and they make you pay for every single thing. I will NEVER book through this airline again, they are the most greedy airline imaginable. Anything they can possibly make you pay for, you better believe they will. The service is horrible. Nothing was good about this experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by N Silva    (USA)

Standard

Boston (BOS) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) return. Just do your research, understand what you're getting, and how businesses operate. In my mind, this is the equivalent of taking the cheap Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC. No one takes said bus for comfort, or luxury, or great customer service, or poor in-flight food, they take it because it's cheap, and it'll get you there one way or another. Spirit's whole business model is based on what they consider "extras." Carry-on that's bigger than a medium-sized knap-sack is extra. Being picky about your seat assignment is extra. In-flight snacks, big seats, using staff at the ticket counter, all these are considered "extras." So when it comes down to it, it's all a big game. They set the rules, and you make the moves and manoeuvres to get through the maze with as few dings to your wallet as possible. With the "Spirit game," you don't pick your seats, you bring your own food, you pack as light as possible, you measure and/or weigh your baggage beforehand to avoid penalties for getting it wrong, you do your best to squeeze into small seats, you listen to headphones when they do their credit card shpeel on the loud speaker, if you can, you go to the airport to buy your tickets (buying online carries a convenience charge), you find out ahead of time when the ticket counter is open at the airports you'll be flying through (if you need them), you avoid using the ticket agents in any way possible. Those are the rules of the game. It's up to you which rules you want to abide by, and of course, it's up to you whether you want to play the game at all.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Huettel Lisa    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew to South Carolina, and before we flew, my husband called Spirit to see what the procedure was for checking baggage. He was told that although the internet says to pay $25 online, or $50 at check-in or $100 at the gate, we didn't have to. We flew out of Chicago O'Hare Airport with no problem. When departing South Carolina we were told, as we were boarding, that we had to pay $100 to carry a back pack and 1 piece of luggage with us on the plane. We, and 3 other people had to pay $100 for nothing. It wasn't a problem going there, suddenly it's a problem? I will never fly with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by R Baca    (USA)

Standard

Denver International Airport to Las Vegas Nevada airport. Flight number 719 on March 19th 2014 and back to Denver March 22nd on flight 562. Terrible experience both to my destination and back. I fly a lot and was very disappointed. The fees for the bags are crazy. I was able to get on the plane to my destination without a fee. Then on the way home they charged me for the exact same bag that had the exact same things in it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by S LaVita    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew from New Orleans to Dallas on April 4-8, 2014 and were pleased with their service! We read all the rules carefully and packed accordingly. No problem with our 1 checked bag a piece. We printed our boarding passes and prepaid our luggage both ways. The ticket agent in New Orleans even offered for us to choose our seats (free of charge) because the flight was not full. Pleasant flight attendants and they did not overly push their credit card. The return flight from Dallas was just as good and the cabin crew even better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Sheila Anderson    (USA)

Standard

Looks like cheaper airfare, but is not! Don't be fooled. Tons of add on expenses include: Baggage, seats, fare club membership, government's cut, security fee, passenger facility fee, segment fee and federal excise tax. I accidentally paid for 4 bags to check online, and only needed to check 2.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by J Surratt    (USA)

Big

I recently flew Spirit airlines for the first time. After reading all the reviews posted, I was nervous and somewhat sceptical about this airline. However, both to and from Orlando, I couldn't have asked for anything better! From the time I checked at Houston, the staff was fantastic, to the flight staff, to the members in Orlando, I was very happy with the service that I received. I would definitely recommend Spirit to others and will be using this airline again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D VerMerris    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I recently flew round trip from Chicago to Orlando. I was somewhat leery of flying Spirit after reading the many reviews. However, my anxieties were alleviated after this trip. Why? Simple, I did my homework. I read, reread, and researched Spirit's baggage policies and followed them to the letter. We experienced no problems at all from check-in to deplaning on both legs of our trip. If you plan on taking advantage of Spirit's low rates, great. Enjoy the extra cash in your pocket. However, if you can't fit their guidelines for baggage weight and size limits, then plan on paying additional. By the way, my wife and I did have to pay additional money for three checked baggage, but the final cost was still over $500 cheaper than the other airlines that I was considering before booking my flights on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by R Campbell    (USA)

Standard

The other day was the first time my wife and I have flown Spirit and it will be the last. Their bait and switch marketing is offensive. Save $100 on the ticket, only to see it go right back to the company via seat charges (assuming spouses want to sit together), a baggage fee of $30/bag and a weight of 40 lbs (not the standard 50 lbs for most carriers), a personal items list that for many likely results in a "carry-on" bag fee, the constant notice that you better get all of our a la carte pricing right or we will soak you $100/bag at the gate or charge you for not handling all ticketing and check-in online. There were charges for everything on the drink cart except tap water - which wasn't offered. I was waiting for them to announce a bathroom use fee. At the end of it all, we arrived early only to sit on the runway for 50 minutes more making us overall 30 minutes late. The baggage claim carrousel was changed with no announcement. The airlines touts that it is all about saving people money and statements that is completely up front with their policies is garbage! I've been in business for over 50 years and have flown a lot of miles. We will obviously never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Mai Xiong    (USA)

It wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be or it was, as a matter of fact, it feels the same as every other plane. I traveled with 4 children and my spouse, and were seated together to and from MN MPLS to LAX CA. We booked our check bag online and kept the luggage under 40lbs so it only cost $21, since I joined the $9 club. We saved over $350 for our entire trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by P Courtemanche    (Canada)

Standard

Don't expect a 5 star experience for a 1 star price! Read everything and prepare your baggage beforehand. We saved lots of money flying with spirit! Our expectations were low due to all the terrible reviews, but everything went fine! We didn't buy anything on the plane, nor extra baggage. Seat were okay, but I would consider larger seats as I am a tall person and leg room was a bit tight. Staff was pleasant at Plattsburg airport, a bit less at Fort Lauderdale but still reasonable. No entertainment was offered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by S Mathupala    (USA)

Standard

I first flew Spirit in November 2013 on a return trip to and from Cancun, Mexico. Booked on Spirit after coming across the cheap prices on Kayak. I went to the airport ready to do battle but, much to my surprise, I was quickly processed through, there were no surprise extra costs, and the flights were in fact uneventful. I again flew last week to and from San Diego, and the experience was the same. Yes, I wish they had better seats with more leg room, and perhaps provide some sustenance during the flight, but I guess one has to prepare for lack of such amenities when flying budget. Would I fly with them again? Yes, I would. During the four flights I had with Spirit, I saw the ground/airport crew work overtime to make sure that we did not miss the connecting flights when there were delays, sometimes personally escorting/directing the passengers through the maze of airport hubs, and the on-air crews were always pleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by J Feistel    (USA)

Standard

Hidden fees all over, terrible customer service, rude staff in every department! Every bag you have is extra money checked bags carry on bags and they tell you none of this until after you have bought your ticket. It even costs money to print your boarding pass at the airport. Your carry on can weigh 50 lbs which costs you different amounts based on when and where you tell them you have a carry on. Then if you check a bag it costs you another 50 bucks if it weighs over 40lbs! I have flown plenty, this is by far the worst experience I have had with an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by Tom Chung    (USA)

Because their rate was much lower than all other carriers, I decided to try Spirit for my recent Chicago to Las Vegas round trip. I found the planes to be reasonably modern and the service to be fine, but what really bugged me was that they charged for everything! Seats, checked bag, carry on luggage (if you do not pay at time of booking it jumps to $100 per piece at the gate) beverages (including water and coffee!) and snacks. I understand that it is a low-fare and no frills airline, but, really, must you need to charge for everything? This cannot be a long term business model. You don't feel that you got the value for your money. I am a frequent business flyer who logs between 40-50 thousand miles per year. I have a few favorites, but I am always on the look out for options. Needless to say, Spirit has been erased from my list. I don't have much spirit for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by T Lewis    (USA)

Standard

Flight from LaGuardia to MCO (Orlando) with a connecting flight in Detroit - absolutely mortified with the check in service at LaGuardia. My 17 year old son brought his skateboard on the flight as it is permitted with the TSA guidelines. When we got to check in, the man at the desk said Spirit has different policies but he would allow it if we pay extra $50 to bring the skateboard on the plane. He said he would call the gate to let them know. When we got to the gate, the people almost didn't allow us - the guy at check in didn't call. When we got into the plane my son had his board and the people on board said oh yeah that's fine! When we got to Detroit, we looked at the receipt to explain to the next flight attendants and we were shocked when we saw $110 on the receipt. The man at check in deliberately lied to us. Spirit flight was fine, no TVs but that's fine. Absolutely outraged by the check in service at LaGuardia.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Andrew Fioramonti    (USA)

Standard

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 my husband and I endured the worst experience we have dealt with regarding any airline. From the moment we got into the line to proceed to the service counter where we engaged with the rudest of service reps, to the poor representation or should I say lack of representation when I called to check on a charge for our carry-on luggage and additional charge for so called extra poundage on our check-in bag. The bag (they said) was 7 lbs. over when on a previous flight with JetBlue it was 4 lbs. under. How does that work? Never, fly again with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by David Sanford    (USA)

Standard

Had to find quick non-stop flight from Dallas to Orlando. Spirit fit the time frame and would have me there by 7.08pm. When we arrived at DFW flight was on time. Then at 1.30 the flight board showed a 90 minute delay. By 2.30 it was a 3 hour delay. Instead of leaving at 3.39pm it was now a 6.45pm departure. First time my wife and flew Spirit and was surprised at all of the added fees. Time was of the essence so we gave it a shot due to having 'lower' rates. Total cost would have been comparable to other rates from airlines with a better on time average which I learned while sitting waiting for my very delayed flight. I will always take a few minutes and always check an airline out online if I am not familiar with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Mary Flaherty    (USA)

The worst airline I have flown! Filthy, seats too small. Seats don't recline, jammed 3 in a row and you had to keep your body still or you hit the person either side. Stewardesses? Looked bored and put out when asked a question. Hit with baggage fees on check-in, pay to sit next to the person you traveled with! Will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Stanka Disheva    (USA)

Standard

The worst flight experience my husband and I have had! It cost more for our 2 carry-ons than the cost of our tickets. The flight attendant who checked the boarding passes was terribly rude and unprofessional, the service on the plane was outrages. Nothing is free, even the water. Narrow seats, dehydration, one restroom out of order. We flew from O'Hare to San Diego on March 28 2014. At the gate I went first pulling my carry on, at the plane entrance I noticed my husband was not behind me. I went back to check and saw my husband being charged for his carry on. At that time, the attendant started yelling 'They have two, they have two' so the attendant charged my husband another $100 for my carry on! There was no explanation, no kindness. It wasn't my fault that the flight attendant let me go at first and then, when I came back she treated me like prey she has missed! I will never ever fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Sandra Lavigne    (Canada)

Big

People who complain about the fees and whatnot must not read before booking their flights. The site is very clear about the various fees all the way through the booking process. With the membership we saved a ton of money on our flight, even with baggage fees and the extra fees to reserve big front seats, it was still cheaper than flying a major airline, even if we cashed in airmiles. As far as customer service goes, we had no issues. Staff at Niagara airport were fine, we had no issues and because it's such a small airport we got through check-in and security in record time. The flight itself was fine. There was a technical issue with the gate, but even after having to switch gates we still departed on time. Big front seats are worth the extra money for sure. On the way home we had very friendly staff at Ft Lauderdale airport. There was an issue with the cleanliness of the plane on our return trip. Our seats weren't spotless but not gross, but it seems that the cleaning crew didn't notice that someone had been sick in the row across from us. A passenger unfortunately put her hand in it while getting to her seat and had to go back out to the terminal to wash it off. The flight attendant was very sincere and concerned, apologized to them and everyone in the area, got the cleaning crew back in asap to take care of it, sprayed some air freshener, apologized again and again, and had the passengers from that row seated in another row for the flight since there were some empty seats. It was unfortunate but the attendant handled it perfectly and we still left on time. The rest of the flight there were no issues. Even with major airlines I've almost always found garbage in the seat pocket that got missed, it happens. Overall I would fly Spirit again, but maybe not for a long flight. I recommend it if you want to save some money and don't care about inflight meals and movies (you can purchase snacks and drinks, this is pretty typical of most airlines now anyway, not many provide a free meal or snack these days). If you're a tall or heavy person definitely pay the extra for the big front seats. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. This is a discount airline, so go in with low expectations and you'll be fine.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Ponugoti    (USA)

Standard

One of the worst staff ever experienced. Onboard staff was so rude and don't help. They did not let us use the bathrooms when seat belt sign was turned off and bathroom was empty but staff was using it. Our child was coughing and needed a glass of water, first they asked me to pay $3 before giving him water. They charge for everything, bag, seat, water, food. Its looks cheap when we search for the deals but there are hidden prices which makes it expensive in the end. I will never go back and would not recommend them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Lauer    (USA)

Standard

Booked flight through Travelocity and had questions about seat selection, check-in, etc. Checked Spirit's site and needed assistance, called twice, girl who answered first call was annoyed with my questions and young man who answered second call was very helpful and courteous. Flew PHL to Vegas-delayed both ways but figure that can happen with any airline-however comfort was affected by broken seat backs and garbage in seat pockets (liquor bottle in one, water bottle and wad of papers with gum stuck to both) taking up leg room. Also had to brush peanut skins and crumbs from my seat to join the pile on the floor before sitting down. Never mind that beverages were not complimentary, they were served but once at the beginning of a 5.5 hour flight. I am truly glad that I finally did make sense of the site and the charges before flying, and knew to print boarding passes and pay for seat assignments and avoid the ridiculously high fees charged at the airport for luggage. I am satisfied only with the fact that we reached our destination safely.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Edward Collins    (USA)

I had to fly last minute from SFO (San Francisco) to LAS (Las Vegas) one way and Spirit offered the lowest price out of any airline in the SF Bay Area, the trek to (OAK) Oakland Airport was a little further than I normally travel to get to an airport but the deal was too good to pass up. The flight was not full, although I checked in the day before, I was given a seat upgrade to a window seat near the front. The cabin crew was friendly and made the early morning flight easier with humor. Flight duration was exactly as advertised and actually landed a few minutes early and it was a pleasant flight in a brand new airplane. The one thing I did not like were the seats, far too close together, and much too thin. I'm only 5'6" and felt too big for the seats, if it had been a longer flight I would have been very uncomfortable for the for 1 hour and 20 minutes I was in the seat it was bearable, barely. A word of warning: Spirit charges fees for absolutely everything, you want to pick your seat? Fee please, want carry-on luggage? Fee please, You want to check baggage? Fee please, You want a snack on board? Fee please. Credit /debit only, we don't recognize $USD as real currency. However, if you know what you need for a flight, this can be a good deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by L Barrett    (USA)

Standard

I'm 5'11", and Spirit's seats may not be super comfortable, but at least there is the saving grace that seats do not recline. There's nothing worse than barely fitting your legs in the first place only to have the person in front of you lean their seat back! I've flown Spirit twice so far, round trip flights from Minneapolis to Chicago. The flight is only a little over an hour long, and for $35, I guess I can put up with a bit of discomfort for an hour. What really gets me, however, is not the size of the seat (to be honest, even higher-priced airline seats are hardly comfortable) but the deplorable customer service at check-in. I checked a bag on my latest return flight from Chicago, but had already checked in online. The system / boarding pass said that I could quick-check the bag - so I went to the airport not expecting to wait in line. After printing out my boarding pass at the kiosk, I stood for a while in the quick-check line section. When free, one of the four or five reps at the counter asked if she could help me, and I told her I just wanted to drop my bag, use the quick-check. She told me, "Oh, we don't have that this morning, you'll have to wait in line" (instead of just taking the bag, which would have taken the same amount of time). So, I went back to stand in line for about 20 minutes. When I finally get back to the counter, a different rep tells me, "You should really hurry, this flight is about to board." After getting through O'Hare's tediously slow security lines, I finally did manage to catch the flight - feeling frustrated and impatient about the whole experience. Next time, I will fly on a different airline. Even though cheap fares are tempting, I have a sneaking feeling that they're not worth the savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by A O'Neill    (USA)

Standard

My family traveled to Ft Lauderdale in February. The trip down was fine. The trip back very upsetting primarily due to extremely rude employees. We switched seats online prior to our return flight to the row behind the exit. It was clear we were traveling with an infant and car seat. We were seated at the beginning of the flight in the row behind the exit. We sat there with the employees passing by us for over 2.5 hours. In the last 30-45 minutes an attendant came up and said 'we have a problem' and she ordered us to move because we apparently couldn't be seated with a car seat behind the exit row. We questioned this order because there was only 30-45 minutes left on the flight. So we moved without any help. We accept the baggage limitations and paid for our suitcases. We accept it's a discount airline. We do not accept despicable treatment of paying customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Arana    (USA)

Standard

Spirit airlines has been my worst experience flying. First of all who charges for carry on and still puts the most outrageous policies on check ins. The worst part is they don't bother to tell you when you are buying your ticket that way you don't know and you are forced to pay for it when you get there. Then they charge for boarding passes and for not having a random seat. The staff and their rude attitudes did not make it any better. Being a college student and thinking you got a deal with this flight only to realize that they charge you for everything else. I didn't know what to expect after that. I will never fly this airline again. I'd rather pay for an expensive flight that doesn't nickel and some you at every corner.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J P McGlade    (USA)

Standard

Poor service, poor communication, poor quality. You couldn't even make up how bad they are. Oversold flight. We had a 6 hour delay that was identified 30 minutes prior to our departure, as a result, we missed our connecting flight. Missed two days of work. Only offered a 50 dollar voucher for all the inconvenience. Not even their 800 number is user friendly. Keep your voucher, I don't plan on traveling with Spirit again. Was told at the airport the plane had broken down in Boston, the pilot had a different story. Spent $1,000 for two tickets, what a deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by C Pierce    (USA)

Standard

I flew 3-19-14 and 3-26-14 from ATL to DFW and return. I was prepared for the worst, however was pleasantly surprised. I had only one carry on backpack. I checked the size requirements and had to bring one of my smallest backpacks to fit their requirements, but I had no problems. I brought my own snacks. I had one checked bag under weight limits, so no problem there. I did pay $60 RT for it. I am 5'10" and didn't have a problem. I didn't care about seat arrangements, so I let them seat me. I got an aisle and window seat. The crew were very pleasant, the plane was clean and looked new. Flights left and returned all on time. I paid under $200 for everything and made my reservations one week in advance! I printed my boarding pass in advance when leaving and upon returning. I had no extra or hidden charges as I had prepared myself. I highly recommend them, just decide if their specifications can fit your comfort level.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by T Watson    (USA)

Standard

It cost more for our luggage to fly than it did for my wife and I. Tried to check-in online, the Spirit system would not let me in, so if I wanted to pay for my bags online it was not possible. Spirit airlines has no idea what customer service means. Fees are fees and I pay them on all the airlines, but every other airline I do business with lets me know what the fees are when I'm making reservations, so I know my complete budget ahead of time. My wife's carryon fit in their little gage hole, but they said it was 2mm to high with the handle. I will pay higher rates to avoid ever having to be subjected to that again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Mulholland    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. I was forced to give at least one star, otherwise I would have given zero for seat comfort and inflight entertainment (there is none). I am not a tall person and I have never had my knees so scrunched up on any other airline. Also, if you do decide to fly on the cheap with Spirit (not advisable in my opinion), wait to check in and you will get a better seat' if you check in 23 hours in advance, they'll give you the poorest seat unless you pay for it, but if you wait they will be forced to give you one of the "premium" seats for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Valerie Dickow    (USA)

Standard

Personnel and flights ok, but often delayed/late. In spite of fees for seats and carry-on luggage, you can save $$ by joining $9 club. Seat rows are closer than most others, so if you're tall, this can be quite uncomfortable. Seat backs are not adjustable-ugh! Trying to talk a live person and get help is impossible. I changed my internet provider and cannot make a reservation using my $9 club membership. I've called all of their phone numbers and cannot get to a live person other than someone "selling" me something who cannot help with changing my email address. Maddening and frustrating to say the least and I'm a $9 club member. I may never fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by J Musky    (USA)

My first (and last) flight with Spirit Airline very negative to say the least! I'd recommend anyone who considers this airline to read the fine print. The baggage fees are outrageous, they don't even give you a complimentary drink, the seats do not recline and there is little leg room, the flight attendants are not friendly, needless delayed flights, gate changes and just a downright greedy airline! There was no inflight entertainment and the "food" (snacks) and drinks were extremely overpriced.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Steve Zazuri    (USA)

Standard

Delayed when we left LGA to Myrtle Beach by 1.5 hours. Delayed 2.5 hours returning. Computer glitch. We were on the runway and about to take off, had to go back to terminal. Took off 54 Golf bags. Refuelled and took off. Never told about the bags. Bunch of golfers standing around waiting for bags in baggage claim. After 30 minutes finally told. Still don't have my bag. 5 days and no one picks up phone when calling.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by L Schermock    (USA)

Standard

Traveled from Houston to Orlando round trip, Both flights were on time. Airline personnel were all courteous. Seats were comfortable. I read the rules about baggage, boarding passes and other charges ahead of time so there were so surprise expenses. It costs less to list a checked bag during registration and printing a boarding pass at home saves $10. Let them give you a random seat and there will not be a charge for a seat, I got a middle seat on one flight and aisle seat on the other. Good value for the price.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Edwin Pagan    (USA)

Standard

Delayed about 1.5 hours leaving, and almost 4 hours on my trip back. Only offered a 50 dollar voucher for all the inconvenience. Not even their 800 number is user friendly. Keep your voucher, don't plan on traveling with Spirit again. Was told at the airport the plane had broken down, not what the pilot said when they finally arrived. Couldn't even offer a complementary drink for all the hassle, you had to buy. Low class service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Saleh Michele    (USA)

Standard

I would try to avoid flying Spirit Airlines. You have to pay for carry on, you have to pay for checked baggage, they want you to pay extra for your seat. They aren't small costs, you pay for your flight and then have an extra $100-200 in other fees to pay. This is so frustrating.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Dustin White    (USA)

Standard

Flight 939, Denver to Phoenix, March 28, 2014. The 'ol bait and switch. "Our prices are the best! We undersell our competitors by $20 on average!" Sounds great right? Then, you get an email the week of your trip: "Pay Only for What You Use!" Its their pay for your bag policy. Spirit actually charges between $25 and $50 for a carry on bag - depending on how far in advance you purchase. There go those highly touted savings. Good luck to you if you're one of those poor souls who doesn't see this before getting to the gate. Spirit's website lists that "modest fee" as $100 per bag, per passenger. I didn't fully appreciate how good I had it with United and Frontier prior to this experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by S Camila    (USA)

Standard

New York to Bogota. All of my flights departed on time and arrived earlier than estimated. The flight was ok, the prices for snacks were reasonable although there weren't many options, the biggest problem in the flight were that the chairs don't recline at all. Another big problem is that all low-cost airlines charge you for the checked bags but Spirit also charges for carry-on luggage, which I found out after I paid for the ticket, with that extra payment it ended up costing the same as a regular flight with United. Heads up! They also charge you for choosing seats! I wouldn't recommend it, because you can get a cheap flight with all of the comforts needed without paying more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Cameron Hollis    (USA)

Standard

O'Hare to LAX, didn't realize all the extra charges for bags, seating, etc. Flight was miserable. Ended up flying back with Virgin America instead.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Lisa Anderson    (USA)

While they have luggage fees for carry-ons which most airlines have for free, your flight is still much cheaper. We found staff to be courteous and helpful from checkout counter to the flight attendants. Complain about not getting a free beverage, they charge 5 dollars for 2, I paid 8 dollars for chips and a cookie with United! It's not outrageous when you would pay more for the same item with a different airline. I paid 4 dollars for a water at the airport and 12 dollars for a cheeseburger so I didn't find the price for a beverage crazy as most but reasonable! If you don't want to pay baggage fees carry a backpack, it is free! We went from Baltimore to Las Vegas and found the flight pleasant. Will definitely book with them again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Paul Descoteaux    (USA)

Big

I fly Spirit Airlines often, have been using this airlines for years. Yes, they do charge for nearly everything. However, flying from LGA to MYR Spirit is the way to go. Just be prepared, check in at LGA is a real pain. Make sure you get there early once checked in everything always seems to go smoothly. Check in at MYR is much easier and more efficient. Book way in advance and choose the seat you would like, my wife and I always spend the bucks for the wide seats, so much better than other seats. Check out other airlines, you will find Spirit to be the best going between the two airports listed above.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Mayvelin Gamino    (USA)

Standard

I travelled to El Salvador in South America 10 days ago. When returning to NYC my first flight was delayed and that caused me to miss my connecting flight. Their only option was to stay in El Salvador from Sunday that I was supposed to leave, all the way to Wednesday! They offer to give me a partial refund but was not even going to cover a fraction of a new last minute ticket! I managed to convince them to put me on stand by for the following connecting flight, and after 10hrs delay, I was able to be in NYC on Sunday. When we arrived to NYC they called our names and the lady at baggage claim told us our bags could not be delivered. Today is Monday afternoon and I still do not know where my bags are.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Ray Antonacci    (USA)

Standard

A disaster. Flight delayed 1.5 hours out and 7 hours back. Gate did not work at LaGuardia after we landed 6 hours late and everyone had to stay seated for an extra hour until we were towed to another gate. Then about 30-50 people never got their luggage on a non stop flight from Myrtle Beach to LaGuardia! No one to talk to when you call for baggage, voicemail tells you to call airport. Airport says call Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Stephanie Kin    (USA)

My husband and I booked a last-minute trip on Spirit, when we had two previously planned trips cancelled, due to Noreaster snow storms. Beginning with check-in, there was no rhyme or reason to the process. A Spirit Airlines employee was randomly pulling the queue elastics this way and that, to create new lines. Individuals began pushing in front of others, in an attempt to get to the counter. In reading other reviews, it appears that there are random luggage (poundage) limits, at different times and locations. Some mentioned 45, some 50 (what most of us expect). In Baltimore, it was 40 pounds. An extra $105! Coming back, it was $50 for the same weight. Flight times offered for our route were very inconvenient and limited. Many reviews speak of rude employees. Our "attendants" were not rude. They did, however, appear that they showed up to work in whatever they had on at the moment. I cannot state how unprofessional this operation is. You will end up paying more for an incredibly inferior product. In return, you will have seats offering, literally, no room to move, zero ability to recline your seat back, no complimentary beverage (including water) and a distinct lack of professionalism and standards.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Elaine Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Please ensure you understand all baggage policies and fees prior to booking with Spirit. While this airline markets good prices for tickets, you definitely end up paying more on the back end. Not worth the hassle on the extra fees and the poor customer service. One example, we experienced was the delayed landing into Ft. Lauderdale due to fog. I understand and respect the fact we could not land and had to fly to Ft. Myers, FL until we got clearance. However, I was appalled by the fact Spirit had to re-fuel in Ft. Myers. On top of that, they did not even offer complimentary water during the entire 3.5 hr delay while we were on flight. This is just to name one incident. There are more, but too many to list in this review. All I can say is, you should consider another airline, as you will end up paying the same amount considering their "extra baggage fees", check-in hassle and poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by D Nesmith    (USA)

Standard

Last month I flew from Myrtle Beach International to La Guardia in NYC. I must say I had a great experience! Check in was a breeze. Did quick bag drop. The crew on board were nice. Flight is only 1 hr 20 min. Same great service on the way back. Did quick bag drop at La Guardia. They had double booked a seat, but the crew were very efficient with solving the problem and we were all able to stay onboard! I'm flying using Spirit again in May! Only thing is the baggage fees which I was not thrilled about. Also there aren't any complimentary drinks or food but the trip was less than 90 minute so it's not that serious.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Sara Smith    (USA)

Standard

My family has used Spirit twice in the last two months. The first time, my husband booked the flight and was very excited about getting my family of 5 tickets to Atlanta for around $70 a piece. I went onto their website and found that everything cost extra. Luggage, food, printing boarding passes, and even being able to sit with your family. It states that sitting with your family is not guaranteed, unless you reserve your seats starting at $10 a piece. I thought surely they would allow small children to sit with their parents but called to be sure. All they could say was "we cannot guarantee that your children will be able to sit with you, but we will try". My children are 1, 4, and 6, I could not leave that to chance. I was surprised, however, that my 1 year olds ticket was free because he could sit on our lap. They even allowed us to check his car seat for free. We arrived 2 hours early (5am) with plenty of staff to direct us where to go. The flight attendants were nice. The seats didn't recline, but the flight was smooth. The second time, my husband and my son were flying to ATL again. I went to help my husband check his bag and the car seat. We arrive at the Spirit area, there are 4 reps working the counters. We stand in line for 15 minutes with one person in front of us. During that time, several people joined the line behind us. A rep then walks up to replace one of the other ones, points at everyone and yells "if your checking bags your in the wrong line, these are just for people booking flights." She directs everyone to one representative and all of the people who were in front of the line are now at the back. After waiting 20 minutes, it is our turn. We walk up to the rep, and seeing that we don't have our boarding pass pre-printed. the first words out of his mouth are "you know your going to have to pay ten bucks for printing your boarding pass." I explain that we were not allowed to because of the "infant in lap." He then tries to tell me that we are in the wrong line and tries to direct me back to the line I was originally in. He acted like everything was an inconvenience. He checked out luggage and pointed to an area for oversized luggage for our car seat. I didn't go on the flight with my husband and son, so I can only hope that the customer service was better than what we received at the check in counter. So I have had one good experience and one bad experience with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Peter Panos    (USA)

Their "Fast Bag Drop" at MSP took longer than most normal check-ins at a regular airline and at LAX we had a line of over 100 people as they were having computer issues and the employee's stated it was a common occurrence. Once in the plane the seat arrangements are uncomfortable and unsafe for passengers and crew. Every passenger over 5'8" had to straddle the seat in front of them and everyone on the aisle row had their leg in the aisle, as you could not sit in your seat with your feet in front of you. Your knees would pushed up against the metal seat frame in front of you. When we landed at LAX and the pilot hit the brakes a bit hard to make a turnoff, myself and three others around me all jammed our knees into the metal frames. When I said something to the flight attendant, they stated it was a common occurrence and apologized for the seats being so close.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Sarah Poisson-Osiro    (USA)

Standard

From ORD on March 21 to Las Vegas, returning 3/25/14. Some of the time on our flights the staff were great but on the return flight the staff patronized everyone on the plane. I have not been a child for over 20 years, I have never been told that if you need to use lavatory on an airplane that one needs to wait in their seat until no one is in the lavatory because we are not allowed to congregate. If you want to get screwed by hidden fees, delayed flights, and not even a glass of complementary water go to Spirit. I have traveled a lot via planes and now I realize that saving $30.00 in the beginning is a gimmick. I have never checked in a bag that only allowed 40lbs and charged $50.00 to check it in I think $1.25 a pound is a little extreme. I am glad that I had a heads up about the fees but many foreigners on this airline were being charged $100.00 because they did not understand these crazy fees. The only explanation they were given was its on our website.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by S Klass    (USA)

Standard

ACY-FLL return. Having read the reviews here, I was prepared for the worst. However, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Perhaps flying out of Atlantic City's small airport helped. Both flights were on time, ground crew and cabin crew got to work and were pleasant enough. I must admit I scoured their website for all their travel conditions and was well aware of all details and ensured all check in baggage was within the weight limit and dimensions before I got to the airport. I did see quite a number of people complaining and carrying on about being charged for their bags at both FLL and ACY. Its not that hard to avert these situations at the airport. The trick is to just be extra vigilant with things like baggage weight and all the conditions of your ticket with Spirit before you get to the airport. It is a budget carrier so it seems ridiculous to pay bottom dollar and then expect Emirates style service. On board, as everyone knows, their legroom is notoriously minimal and probably not going to kill you on a short 2-3 hour flight. A longer trans-continental, though might just begin to. There's only buy on board snacks, so bring your own. That's pretty much par for the course even if you fly with one of the bigger legacy carriers. BYO Entertainment too. For this short trip, Spirit made sense and delivered. United and AA were both about $200 more for a comparable route and while they might offer frequent flyer mileage, possibly entertainment, there was little else that would have been dramatically different, sad to say.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by S Mitchell    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew from Phoenix, AZ to Dallas, TX on Spirit Airlines. We purchased 2 one way tickets separately leaving from Phoenix then returning from Dallas back to Phoenix. It was cheaper this way. The tickets in total were $336 which was great, but paid another $66 going for a checked bag and seat assignments. Returning was even worse! This time 1 carry on $45, and 1 checked bag $35. Then when we got to the airport it was another $25 for the checked bag so in total $110 for bags. So in total for this trip it cost $512. I advise anyone to steer clear of this airline due to all of the extra charges. Low airfares yes, however they make up for it in so many other ways. The leg room was horrible, and the seats don't recline at all. It was an extremely, unpleasant flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by K Mackie    (Canada)

Standard

Mpls to Orlando during spring break. Plane was clean and comfortable, staff pleasant at every turn. Original departure was delayed 2 hours due to "maintenance issues". Boarding staff kept us updated on our timeline. Cash cannot be used on the plane for food and beverages. CC only. Two small things. Seats are close together. If you are over 6 feet tall, you might feel cramped. Second, we overheard a conversation between a customer and flight attendant where the attendant wanted the customer to change seats to accommodate a family that did not pre-pay for seat selection and was spread over the plane. The trouble was the customer being asked to change seats HAD pre- paid for his seat selection but was still being pressured to move even after he explained he had paid for current seat. The attendant was insistent and the guy ended up moving.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by J Jaeger    (USA)

Standard

My favorite airline, JetBlue, was impossibly expensive for one way from Ft Myers, FL to Boston, so I didn't have much of a choice except to give them a try. I booked online, adding $35 for carry on and $14 for seat selection of an aisle seat and still came in under $200 - way below any others for a non-stop late reservation. I printed out my boarding pass before leaving home. I carried on a sandwich and drink. The aircraft, Airbus 320 with 3-3 seating, seemed brand new. Everything was spotless and unscratched. The seats were tight and close, but not any more so than AirTran. Half way through the flight I realized the seats didn't recline, but it was just a 3 hour flight, so endurable. The boarding process was painless; it was a full flight and we left on time and arrived early. I didn't get out of my seat, so can't comment on the bathroom facilities. Also, I had to answer all the questions, but I had no experience with staff service, food and beverages and inflight entertainment, so only rated them 1 star, which might affect my overall rating. I recommend Spirit, with the caveat that it definitely is no frills and would fly them again if price and a non-stop flight are my only concerns.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by J Bayer    (USA)

Standard

My daughter and 3 friends flew to Ft Lauderdale last week. This is the worst airline out there! Flight delayed then diverted (I called for update on flight and was told flight didn't even take off and passengers were put on JetBlue to arrive the next day! Flight was in Atlantic City refuelling). They nickel and dime you for everything, even water, seats tOo close to each other, flight attendants are obviously not paid well because they were miserable! I don't care how cheap they are I would never use again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by S Kenny    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Detroit to Vegas last week. I arrived to check in and there were 50 in line and two people working. There was one kios machine that wasn't working. I couldn't believe all the hidden fees especially the cost for a carry on bag or if you don't have a boarding pass. They also charge you for drinks. There was a CBS special on Sunday morning showing how terrible as far as hidden costs, and no leg room this airline is and how they squeeze 30 extra seats on the plane. No wonder they are trying to limit the weight of bags to help save on fuel because there are 30 extra people on board the flights! Never again will I fly Spirit. I'd rather spend the money up front, get more leg room and drinks. I don't like the failure to be up front about costs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by T Jowers    (USA)

Standard

I will not be foolish enough to use this airline again. Make sure to read the small print about carry on luggage. I have a very small carry on roller that they would not let me carry on even though it was under weight and would have fit easily in the overhead. They claimed that it would not because the Airbus 319 did not have big enough overhead bins and it would not fit under the seat - I had to pay an extra $45 each way to bring my bag - which far surpassed the savings. Add to that the unhelpful and slightly rude check in crew, and you end up with a less than desirable experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Maria Peters    (USA)

March 20 2014. I paid $491 rt from LAX to Fort Lauderdale plus a $100 for my tiny carry on, plus $32 for the seats - total $629. I have never flown this airline before and never will again! Horrible customer service, cramped seats, no radio or TV, smelly and the dirtiest bathrooms I have used! I will never recommend or fly this airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by Paula Blankenship    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale, 3/17/14. Horrible service. $190 to check our bag plus $25 for 8# overage. Very rude staff at airport. They didn't help with anything! Nothing complimentary on this flight. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by Javon Stephens    (USA)

Standard

Flight #428, TPA-MSP, March 23rd 2014. The worst flying experience I have had. Departure was delayed 5 hrs into the wee hours of the morning, I had to call my family 4 times when departure kept being changed. I can truly say that I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by J Jackson    (USA)

Standard

Family had tickets to fly from Latrobe PA to Orlando on Mar 22, 2014 - was told to arrive at airport 2 hrs early. flight was to leave at 5.50pm. Around the time when passengers should have boarded the plane, they announced the plane was delayed due to hitting a bird on the way in to PA. Was told the plane would leave around 8pm. Needless to say, had to stay at a hotel until the next morning, was told to arrive at 6am plane was scheduled to leave at 8am - this never happened. Plane left at 1pm. Family had to cancel trip since they could not arrive in Orlando port in time. They are rude and do not communicate to their passengers, when they do communicate, it is all lies. Never fly this airlines - the small discount in price is not worth all the headaches you will experience with Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Conner Lee    (USA)

Standard

I have used many airlines but Spirit is the worst one of all. They charge you for both carry-on and check-in bags. I understand check-in bags but charging for carry-on? Carry-on is more expensive than check in. I ended up spending $80 just to check in my bag round trip. Only reason I chose spirit was because their tickets were cheap but in the end it caused far more inconvenience for the same price. I did not make the flight and I ended up having to stay at the Arizona sky harbor airport for over 10 hours extra. I called customer service line and all they kept saying was that they can't do anything over the phone and I have to talk to the gate agent. Needless to say I will not be flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Travis Whitfill    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. They slap on ridiculous fees for everything - including (1) fees for checked bags and carry-on bags, (2) fees for the option to select your seat, and (3) $3 for even water! I am 6'5" and generally have no problem fitting in airline seats, but was not even able to fit into the seats on Spirit Airlines. Most cramped I've ever been. When I called Spirit trying to ask questions, their phone service was horrendous and I couldn't even talk to a real person!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by K Schwartzbaue    (USA)

Standard

After 7 hours of delays, canceled flight, rescheduled flight for following morning, 6 hours of delays - zero explanation and horrendous customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by James Straub    (USA)

Standard

It was unbelievable that you didn't even get a drink or snack for a 5 hour flight! Also, a fee for a seat? To really top it off, the two seats directly in front of me were broken and pushed forward with caution-like tape wrapped all around them! I've never seen anything like it. This left me unable to get a drink if I wanted, because I had no tray to place it on. What blew me away was there was no apology or explanation about the seats, and no complimentary offers due to the major inconvenience. The flight attendants acted like there was nothing abnormal at all! I will be sure to tell everyone not to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Tazjere R Wilson    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly with Spirit Airlines again. This airline charges far too much. I had to pay $150 extra dollars just to check a bag and bring a carry-on round-trip, and pay $10 for my seats each way! There should not be a charge for seats, especially if I'm already purchasing a ticket. All of the staff members were incredibly rude. My flight had a 2 hour delay, and we weren't even offered refreshments as a gesture to make up for our time. The refreshments were extremely overpriced, We didn't even get a complementary cup of water! The flight attendants were not friendly. My flight was from Chicago (ORD) to San Diego (SAN).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Sebastien Gagnon    (Canada)

Standard

We had the displeasure of being on the March 7th flight departing from Plattsburg New York heading for Fort Lauderdale (flight #451). Flight was delayed until the next day. They told us to come back at 8am, by that time we checked in and went through security to find out that the flight had been delayed again. They only offered to refund us, but as per their’Contract of Carriage we were more that 2 hours delayed, this implies that someone should of offered us re-accommodation or rebook us on another flight. This was never offered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by V Placeres    (USA)

Picked Spirit because they offered the cheapest price for my flight. However, you don't get to all the hidden fees until it's too late! I spent nearly the same amount of money paying for fees like carry-on fees, fees to pick a seat and then water isn't even complimentary inflight. In the end, I'd rather fly with a better airline if the price is the same. Not choosing spirit for future travels. Not recommended unless you are traveling with just a personal bag, not an actual carry-on luggage. Unbelievable. What was supposed to be an affordable flight turned into a bait and switch situation. I'd rather pay full price than be deceived. Do not pick seats in row 10 as they do not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by S Peters    (USA)

Standard

March 13, flight 245 from Chicago to Las Vegas, return on March 17, flight 446. Worst airline of all time. Cheap tickets? They charged for bags (carry on or checked), charged for seats, charged for coffee on the plane.  I was told to sit for my wheelchair request, getting to the plane when it was in final boarding! I'd still be sitting there if I hadn't asked again for assistance. Staff seemed completely uninterested in passengers at the airport. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Jim Haag    (USA)

Standard

Well I have to say we have traveled spirit since the beginning out of Atlantic city to West Palm Florida. Each flight may have had some delays but overall its a very good airline. I have to remember what the owner said in an interview, you don't to McDonalds for a steak. They get me from place to place safely and get me on the ground. Overall the flight crew are great.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Theresa Smith    (USA)

Standard

Friendly, helpful staff. We were able to get cheap flights round trip out of Chicago. The flight was 30 min late out of the gates, but due to the weather all flights were late that evening. We were early on the return flight. The staff seemed to enjoy their job and it showed when dealing with the customers. The biggest complaint is the seats do not recline at all. We took a red eye flight both ways which makes it very difficult to sleep. Also, I understand charging for beverages, but I think a glass of water should be offered at no charge.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Jeanette Castillo    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I had a flight last week back to Houston, TX from LA. We were about to leave for the airport when my husband got a notification not from spirit airlines that our flight was delayed. When we were on our way to the airport for the second time, he decided to check again to see what our flight status was and it was cancelled. We did not receive an email from spirit indicating that our flight was cancelled. By far the worst airline! This was the first time we have taken this airline and will be the last time we do so. The flight tickets maybe cheap but it is not worth it in the end.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Lane Eisenberg    (USA)

Standard

We booked a trip to Vegas for our son's 21st birthday, when we called to check our flight it was delayed before we even left home. Arrived at the airport and was told the flight was delayed again from 9.30 to 11.30, however then the flight was delayed again to 12.15 and then to 1.30pm and then we got the great news that our flight was cancelled along with two other flights. Never has this happened in all my years of traveling, they had no other flight to book us on until after our trip dates were over! We will not book with this airline again as it ruined our vacation and they were not helpful at all or concerned.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Mary Mills    (USA)

Standard

Flew out of BWI on March 6, 2014, flight #301. I returned on flight #410 on March 10, 2014 from Fort Lauderdale back to BWI. My experience with Spirit Airlines was by far the most unrealistic, unbelievable flight I have ever had. They advertise that Spirit has the lowest fares, but in essence, they do not for the following reasons: 1) You charge $45 to take on a carry-on, if done so online, $50 at the airport counter, $100 if the attendant at the gate says your carry-on is not deemed to be a carry-on. 2) $40 to check if done so online. 3) $2.00 for water on the flight, and on and on. I was allowed a bag with a hat from BWI to Fort Lauderdale and on my return, with this same bag, I had to pay $50 because the attendant said I only could have my purse which was not a large purse. When I told her that I came down with the same bag, she responded in an unprofessional manner and said well here you will pay. I will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by A Lowe    (USA)

Standard

Flight 470 from SAN-LAS on 3/16/14. Spirit Airlines is the worst in this industry from paying for a seat to paying for a carry on bag, my first experience was my worst experience. I'll never travel on this airline again, I'd pay us airways high fares doubled before Spirit gets another dime of my hard earned money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Sklar    (USA)

3/16/14, Flight 971, FLL-DFW. worst domestic carrier - apparently a well known fact. Nickle and dime you to death or at least extreme aggravation. Ended up paying nearly as much as I would have on another airline for much worse service. Never fly this airline! Was in one of the big seats up front so seat ok. Pity the suckers in back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by L Drinkard    (USA)

Standard

My fiancé booked a surprise package deal for our honeymoon that included airfares on Spirit. There are some clear cut pros and cons with this airline. The good: Cheap fares, new planes, and assigned seating. The actual airfare you'll pay is cheap, however, there are other fees to be found. More on that in the bad. The planes appeared to be modern and new. We enjoyed plenty of leg room and a clean bathroom. Having assigned seating takes a little pressure off boarding, as well. The bad: At the best, unhelpful, at the worst, rude employees and staff. Excessive baggage fares. When my husband and I checked in 1 hr 10 mins early, we were told we were late and had late arrival written all over our boarding passes and luggage. Spirit boards 1 hour before scheduled departure. The baggage fees will take you by surprise if you don't do your research. I also take issue with our FAs insulting attitude in our return flight from Cancun. Yes, it's spring break and we're coming from Cancun, but announcing on the loud speaker, "It sure is quiet in here. Nobody's talking but the babies because they're hungover." Would I fly Spirit again? Probably, but only after a careful cost comparison against other airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Spivey    (USA)

Worst airline I've experienced. Flying Vegas to Houston, we had a 12 hour delay due to a "cracked windshield". Instead of having another plane available, they had to fly in a new windshield from another city and put it on. They waited until boarding time to break the news. They also changed our departure gate several times. They charge for both carry-on and checked bags. They charge you to check-in. Terrible customer service. No complimentary snacks or refreshments provided. Overall, a terrible experience. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Miller    (USA)

Standard

We chose Spirit because it was the "cheapest". They charge you for baggage and believe it or not, a carry-on is actually more expensive ($45/bag) than checked luggage. $45 is actually the discounted rate because I pre-paid. In order to ensure my family sat together, we needed to pay for each seat - for each leg of the flight. I had to pay for 12 seats for one round-trip flight for a family of 3 at a cost of nearly $200. In addition, most airlines do not charge for a child younger than two years that sits on her mother's lap. Surprise! Spirit charges. Onboard, forget about a complimentary glass of water, everything must be purchased. We never had one flight depart as scheduled. Out of the 4 individual flights in this trip, two were cancelled after multiple delays and the ones that weren't cancelled were significantly delayed. As a result of the cancelled flights, the seats I purchased for my family were not the ones provided to us. On one of these return flights, I had intentionally placed one member of the family 10 rows behind the rest of us so that he could sleep without being disturbed by our baby that was with us. As a result of the cancelled flight, we were placed all together on a much later flight. Needless to say, there was no sleeping with a very exhausted baby at that point. When our flight finally arrived, the Spirit desk was closed so I called them the following business day to request a refund for the seats that were purchased but not provided. I was told that there would be no refunds because we were provided seats and we accepted them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by R Hughes    (USA)

Standard

Atlantic City, NJ to Tampa, Florida 3/6/2014 and Tampa, Florida to Atlantic City, NJ 3/13/2014. Spirit should change their name to "Cattle Call Airline" with "I don't really care about you" employees. By far the worst travel experience of my life. Tickets are not cheap (like they say they are) after adding all the extras. Terminal staff are arrogant and inflexible, in-flight staff have a bad attitude and treat passengers as "sardines". Passengers are packed into in-movable seats that even a normal size person would be uncomfortable in. Come- on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by T Chella    (Canada)

March 9, flight 511, Detroit to Las Vegas. Attendant mumbled very quickly through the safety instructions. Could not understand anything. They did not once come down the aisle to ask if we wanted to purchase anything. Bad enough a 4 hr flight and not even a glass of water but not invited to buy one either. On our flight home they asked if we wanted to buy something at least. They could not manage getting a passenger off the plane minutes before take off and so the pilot was in the back of the plane dealing with that instead of preparing for flight! Throughout flight attendants talked very unprofessionally amongst themselves while seated at the front eating. At one point people were waiting for the restroom in the aisle so 2 of them argued who would tell them to sit down to wait. Finally one stuck her head over and drawled that we should go sit down. Final straw was such a loud and rattling landing that the oxygen masks fell down for the seat across from me. Attendants didn't seem to care. Passengers were horrified. Also be aware that the airport luggage scale in Las Vegas airport weighs luggage one pound less than the Spirit scale when you check your luggage in. The grumpy woman at check in said she is aware of the problem so charges you $25 for extra pound. She didn't understand that customers are not aware of the problem and we are the ones impacted! I explained this to her and she couldn't have cared less.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards