Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by T Campos    (USA)

Standard

Spirit cancelled my daughter's flight from Orlando to Vegas. #3 planes had "mechanical difficulties". They gave her a flight the next day at noon. Got there and the ticket said the flight was for 11.15 take off. they didn't take off until 11.54. she is laying over in Houston, for 10 hours with 2 little girls and her dog. I tried to get them to give her a flight on another airline and got a run around and one person pointing the finger at the other. Beware, you get what you pay for and they are the lowest in every sense of the word.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by Logan Wood    (USA)

Standard

If you are unfortunate enough to possess a future ticket with this airline, good luck actually getting in the air. This is my first and last trip on this airline. My first flight to my destination was 2 hours late. My return home flight was grounded due to an error in maintenance records. This airline do not have a fleet large enough to supply replacement equipment. My flight out of DFW at 3.39pm is the last flight of the day to Orlando. By the time you pay their fees to get a seat and carry on a bag to sit in a cramped seat that doesn't even recline you will spend the same amount on a reputable airline and actually reach your destination.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by D Jacobs    (USA)

Standard

Do not use this airline. We did because we thought it was cheaper. Not so! Not only do they charge for checked bags, they charge for carry on as well. Also, if you do check in online. When we boarded, we found French fries and other food matter on our seat and on the floor. he plane was filthy. As soon as the doors were closed we were told there was no running water on board. The toilets did not flush because of this. You can imagine the stench. They put coffee bags taped to the restroom wall to help with the smell. Really? Furthermore, no free anything. We paid for soda, couldn't get coffee or tea (no water) and the flight attendants were all inexperienced.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by A Smith    (USA)

Standard

Planning an evening flight to Las Vegas, our intention was to sleep for the majority of the 5 hr and 45 min flight. That didn't happen. The party plane was in full swing from the moment they closed the door, halfway through they reported that they had run out of alcohol. Needless to say, the small seats were that much smaller when everyone around you is drunk. Fast forward to our flight home, this flight (from Las Vegas to Philly) was cancelled due to weather. After booking another night at our hotel, we learned that they had put us on a flight leaving in a few short hours. The final kicker was when we realized there was no flight from Las Vegas to Philly showing at either airport. All in all, it was a major hassle, and then the flight home was packed tighter than the flight there. Never again will I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by T Morris    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Philadelphia to Las Vegas. Worst 5 hours I have experienced. It was, dirty, claustrophobic, and they had the nerve to charge for a carry-on. My first and last time flying with this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by K Gilroy    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is the worst airline I have flown. I wouldn't recommend this airline to my worst enemy. The fare was low but with all the extra costs along the way (which is pretty much everything) we would have been better off buying a more expensive ticket on a better airline. There are no complimentary drinks or snacks and the seats do not recline. The flight was delayed an hour and our baggage took way too long to come out causing us to miss our bus home. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by B Cuneo    (USA)

Standard

My family of 4 traveled for the third time with Sprit, from Dallas to Los Angeles. For the third time we had a great experience. Staff have always been very cordial and helpful. On our latest trip, we had a storm while we were gone that required us to come home a day early. After thinking we might need to pay hundreds of dollars to change our flight, they ultimately allowed us to move our flight up a day for a minimal change fee. In addition to Spirit going the extra mile to help us out, the whole experience was great. The plane seats and interior appeared new and clean, the seats don't recline which while maybe being less uncomfortable for you, you also don't have the person in front of you invading your space. With Spirit, if you understand that they are a pay for each service airline and read the fee lists, you can fly for a lot cheaper than other airlines without being blindsided by a surprise fee. We flew for nearly half the price of the next airline. If only they flew out of OKC.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Bliesener Kenneth    (USA)

Standard

Thought I got a good deal on tickets until I paid for luggage! One average size suitcase and one carryon cost nearly the same as the ticket. Total deception and run around on pricing. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by J Wang    (USA)

Standard

Round trip on Spirit with one-way duration of 3 hours. The reason I chose Spirit Airline was price. On the outbound trip, I had to pay $45 because my suitcase was 0.5 inch wider than their measurement. This suitcase has been used all the time for carry-on baggage with many different airlines, never with any problems. Once on board, the flight attendants, one male and one female, never smiled. Neither did they provide a single complimentary drink, not even tap water, for 3+ hours. They simply force you to buy their merchandise. Before the end of the trip, the do-not-know-how-to-smile male attendant made three announcements to urge travelers to sign up Spirit credit card and how many benefits you would get with those cards, all within half an hour. On my return trip, things get worse. Though I gave away my half-an-inch-larger suitcase to avoid the $45 fee, and my stuff in a plastic bag fits well in the free personal item measurement. The Spirit gatekeeper insisted I pay $100 for my things by calling out to close the gate - he knows perfectly well the mentality of a weary traveler and he hits them right on spot. I was the last one there trying to avoid this $100 expenditure out of nowhere. But I don't want to be left behind so I gave in. On board, again, not a single drop of complimentary water. At least this time the flight attendants smiled. They simply paraded with an empty trash bag to walk back and forth. In summary, extra $145 expenditure for nothing complimentary except air and one smile. That is called Spirit - an ironic title.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by R Szostak    (USA)

I guess you get what you pay for but this is one of the worst airlines I've ever flown. This summer we flew Spirit Airlines from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach. We get to the airport 2 hours early like they recommend but really there was no rush because the flight was 2 hours late. One of the airport workers at Philadelphia said she wasn't surprised Spirit is always late. So finally after 2 hours of waiting the plane gets to Philadelphia and after unloading passengers we board. The seats were tiny, vinyl, narrow, non-reclining, and claustrophobia inducing. They were dirty along with the seat tray in front of me. Anything extra like drinks cost $3 which is a complete rip-off. I'm surprised they didn't charge you to go to the bathroom too I mean they charge you for every other ridiculous thing. I would never fly with this "airline company" again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by R Morales    (USA)

Standard

I just booked my third round-trip flight from San Diego to Portland, Oregon. Rt 89.00. I don't take any luggage and go with standard seating. The flight is direct 2.5 hrs. All personnel were very attentive. Three day trip to see my new granddaughter. No entertainment but I bring my tablet.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by M Cabby    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit during the holidays from Chicago to Phoenix. I can appreciate that delays happen especially given the holidays and the winter weather. However how they handled it was horrible. We boarded on time and were asked to immediately turn off our phones, half an hour goes by and we are told that we are waiting on the pilot. Another 20 mins and still waiting and now we need to de-ice the plane. An hour has gone by and still waiting for pilot. Another half hour, pilot has arrived but now one of the de-ice trucks has broken down. If anyone even looked at our phones to suggest we might turn it on, staff would immediately scold us to turn it off. Not one drink was offered for that 2 hour delay. Once we did get in the air they did start cabin service but no complimentary water. To top it all off, they did not update their website on our delay and since they would never let us use our phones our loved ones had to wait in confusion at the airport. They are not less expensive. They are charging you for everything so you really are spending the same amount of money as a normal airline as opposed to this "low fare" company. It is not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by L Atwood    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for! A seat. Not a leather seat, a tiny, vinyl, narrow, non-reclining, claustrophobia inducing square foot of space. Nothing else. No music, movie, drinks, snacks or food at all, unless you want to pay $3 for a can of soda and a cup of ice. The plane departed on time if not early and landed early both to and from Logan (Boston) to Myrtle Beach. I have flown a lot and the landings on both of my flights with Spirit were the best I've experienced, remarkable in icy rain conditions returning to Boston late Thursday night. Flight attendants were excellent. Loaded back passengers first, middle and then front, from Logan which made for smooth and easy process. Attendants were very attentive to passengers with special needs and children. I would recommend Spirit for what it is, no frills, low fare flying at its best. Bags were at baggage claim incredibly quickly both times!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Joel Kilichowski    (USA)

Standard

MSP-RSW. No room in seats expected, pay for everything, surprised I wasn't asked to swipe a card to unlock the bathroom door on the airplane. We got in a 20 mins early thought this was great until we got to baggage claim (forced to check a bag for 40 lbs), it had been well over an hour, no announcement for any delay for the first hour. They are blaming it on flights ahead of ours. Not one person on the flight has seen a bag yet. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Jonathan Gardner    (USA)

Big

Flight 231 and 404. Just flew the 2nd leg of my round trip Spirit flight. Again got nabbed with fees for bags and seats.This time we left the gate and had to turn around because of a computer malfunction. 1 hour delay. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by R Pickott    (USA)

Standard

Feb 16, 2014 I am in Las Vegas stranded. Flight was scheduled for noon. Got here 2 hours early as recommended, my flight was delayed due to mechanical issues until 4.41 now looking at 5.41. No email was sent to advise me of the delay. No help at all. I will have been here 8 hours with nobody to help us. They cannot even tell me if the plane is in the sky. Can't wait to see what happens. They have me stuck here and nobody wants to tell me anything or even apologize.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by D Hogston    (USA)

Standard

My job requires that I travel almost weekly and have flown almost all of the major domestic airlines. Yes, they do not offer the amenities of some of the other airlines, I prefer the half the cost of the economy rate. As far as the lack of reclining and distance between the rows. I am a big man, I prefer the extra width of the Airbus 320 seats and not having the room I do have between the rows invaded by the person in front of me feeling the urge to lay down at the expense of others. As far as the baggage fees when checking in goes, I prefer that as opposed to waiting extra time in line for someone to pay for their checked bags. I only take my computer bag on the plane with me. I prefer putting the bag in the overhead instead of under the seat in front of me to make more room for my feet. I will gladly pay for exit row seating as well as my $5 snack & drink. Still much cheaper than the rest of the airlines.

Standard

I initially thought this flight was a steal, a full $150 less then competing airlines. Then come the costs for carry on vs a packed bag, then there comes a seat charge. On top of that our flight left 1 hour late because of a "crew rest." Ok this is understandable I guess, but Spirit should of notified me. Then we waited an extra 30 minutes because a flight attendant was late. The final straw, our seats smelt. I thought Delta was the worst airline, but Spirit is a strong competitor.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by Gary Oehlert    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Houston to Las Vegas was as bad as it could be. No Service, no room and not on time. The only good thing is my bags made the trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by D Barronn    (USA)

Standard

Just flew round trip from ORD to RSW and overheads were open and free to use on both flights. $3.00 for a soft drink robbery. No leg room.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Jason Fisher    (USA)

Standard

An awful flight experience for me. I flew from Las Vegas to Philadelphia and we were delayed. The announcement explained that the delay was waiting for the flight attendants. I shouldn't complain though, because while waiting in the terminal other Spirit airlines flights were being canceled all over the place. When we finally boarded the plane, it was pretty dirty. The seats had graffiti everywhere and there was still trash from previous flights scattered all over the place. The flight attendants were obnoxious, during the flight they did nothing but sit in their seats and play games on each others phones. Regardless of the money you save by booking with Spirit, the bag fees are extremely expensive and you have to pay for everything once inflight. I would recommend eating before boarding. I actually wouldn't even recommend boarding. Almost every flight they had that day was delayed or canceled. And if you have luxury of needing to speak with customer service expect a worst case scenario for your travel arrangements.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by R Flores    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight for two to Oakland from Dallas. Fares seemed great. Luckily I read all the fine print as you should too. The fare you pay is a fare. Seats are extra ranging in price, up front, aisle, window, etc. Baggage is extra as in most carriers but it will cost you much, much more if you don't pay on line as much as $100 at the gate. Print your boarding passes at home if not the is a $10 per convenience fee at the counter. Everything cost on the flight, water $3, etc. the flight there was on time but it was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever experienced. Seats don't recline landing it neck strain and headache. Flight back was on an older plane and seat and head rest were much more comfortable. Flight was delayed 7 hours though on line it said 30 minutes. Staff were very friendly.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax