Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Zegelbone    (USA)

Standard

The prices are tempting. Just keep in mind there is a charge for everything except using the bathroom on the plane, so be sure to add those charges in when figuring the actual price of your ticket. You are allowed one free "carry-on", as long as it will fit under the seat in front of you. For a carry-on-sized bag that is free on other airlines, you pay an additional $45.00 each way, so for a round-trip ticket, if you fly with a carry-on, add $90.00 to the fare. This is only if you pay at the ticket counter or on-line. If you wait until you get to the gate, it will cost you $100.00 one way for your carry-on. You are able to check-in online 24 hours before the flight. Do it, because they overbook. If you want to select a particular seat, the charge is $15.00 one way. There is a charge for all refreshments, including bottled water. On many planes the seats don't move. All of this I knew about before-hand. What I didn't know about was how poorly the airline treats their customers once they have the booking. The representatives of the airline either lie or intentionally ill informed. Either way it works against the customer. I was delayed from 8.30pm until midnight on my return flight. Always check on your flight before you leave for the airport. Sadly I didn't. No one was at the gate to inform people, and there were no announcements. The only way we found out anything was with our smartphones. No texts from the airline either. At 10:30 PM, finally there came an announcement: we were told that the flight was cancelled because of bad weather. We could either take a refund for one way or wait until the next night at 8.30pm and try again. No help looking for other flights on other airlines either. Where was the bad weather? Skies were clear. The flight originated in Houston, took off and went directly to Ft. Lauderdale, and by-passed my stop in New Orleans. Spirit reps didn't tell anyone about that either - found out about that piece of info through a friend who called the airline. I went to the ticket counter and was told Spirit had no other flights available until the next night. I found out about another flight on Spirit that left the next afternoon when I called the airline after I got back to my daughters house. Others were not so lucky. No hotel vouchers for that night because the airline doesn't issue vouchers for flights cancelled due to bad weather. Spirit is notorious for claiming bad weather as the excuse for flight cancellations. That night, the agent on the phone did book me on the afternoon flight the next day, no extra charge. But be warned - don't fly in the evening if you can help t or you can get stranded, make your own phone calls, and don't trust Spirit reps at the airport to help you or give you accurate information. I'm going to have to save a lot of money to ever fly this airline again. Not worth the aggravation!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by F Reitzel    (USA)

Standard

Oct 2nd from Oakland, CA to Dallas Fort-Worth TX. Flight 408, return October 5th. I read all the reviews after purchasing our tickets. However, our experience with Spirit Airlines was better than I expected. Our flight was delayed but that was due to weather. There were no other problems, we got what we paid for, a simple airline with no extras. We were satisfied and would fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Jake Shearier    (USA)

Standard

First and last Spirit flight. Was warned by friends that the extra fees and consistently late or canceled flights wouldn't be worth the $20 savings. They were right. Delayed from MSP to LAS - 1 hr. Delayed 2.5 hours from LAS to MSP.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Robbie Smith    (USA)

Standard

Awful service, delayed flights, poor communication (attendant with poor mannerisms, made few announcements, did not know correct gate until last minute). On the first flight, the attendants did not know which gate the 2nd flight would be until they landed and opened the plane door (what is this, no abilities to call the airport ahead of time?). During layover, I had to deplane knowing I had to board the same plane again. I misplaced my ticket during the layover and hence had to wait until the very end to reprint my ticket and board again. This entire process could have been avoided if I stayed on the same plane to begin with.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Henry Hernandez    (USA)

Standard

Miami was my original place of departure we were run from gate 2,4,6,8 about ten times until finally we left on gate 10 after 45 minutes of the playing magical gate game. The price for the baggage was excessive and overcame the rest of the pleasant flight. Don't worry there are other airline with lower service rating like American Airline and lower of poll US Airways.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Karen Sawyer    (USA)

Big

We could not have been more satisfied with our trip. We left San Diego exactly on time and arrived at Dallas a bit early. The flight was smooth and service was satisfactory. People at the ticket counter were courteous and helpful. I see the other reviews and think some people need to think in advance. If a drink is important bring your own. If you want food, bring your own. Learn to pack light. Bring a book to read. You can avoid the extra charges if you are smart. You can't beat the prices for Spirit tickets. Our tickets were half from the other airlines. I will definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Jenkinson Aaron    (USA)

Standard

Purchased airfare from Denver to Ft. Lauderdale with a connection in Chicago. After arriving at Denver airport and waiting at the gate for boarding I received an email saying the flight to Chicago was delayed an hour. No less than 15-20 minutes later I received a second email saying that the flight was actually on time and the customer service rep announced we would be boarding at 2pm. Wrong! Sat there at the gate another 20-30 minutes after 2pm and just as the plane is boarding, they call the names of all the Ft Lauderdale bound passengers and tell us that we aren't going to make our connection and the next available flight is on Sunday. This was a Tuesday! As if that wasn't bad enough, the service reps responses were extremely rude and amounted to "gee sorry, who cares". Already had paid their $50 bag fee, which they had originally charged me $80 for. Their employees kept telling us the issue was air traffic control in Chicago but coincidentally nearly every one of their flights from anywhere to Denver that day were late or delayed, not at all just Chicago. It was blatantly obvious that they were straight up lying and that the real issue was likely a mechanical problem. Eventually got sick of arguing and had them refund everything and re-booked the next day on a real airline which cost me an extra $300.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by R Caswell    (USA)

I will never fly this airline again. The tickets are cheap, but any savings are more than made up for as they proceed to nickel and dime you every chance they get. The checked bag fee is almost double what other airlines charge, but it's outrageous that they charge even more for carry on bags. They also charge to print your boarding pass, which I was asked to rip in half myself before boarding the plane. The seats don't recline so that they can pack more passengers on the plane - very uncomfortable. I expected to pay for food, but not for drinks - including water. The plane was filthy - as I boarded I noticed crumbs all over the seats and large pieces of food all over the floor. I will never fly with this airline again. I wont go business with a company that charges me hidden fees at every opportunity.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Joe Thielen    (USA)

Standard

Do not believe their hype that they are cheap. Spirit charges for everything. You pay for your flight and find out there is an additional fee when assigning your regular seats, water on the flight, and expensive luggage prices which includes carry on. Once you total all the added fees, you are paying more. They added more rows of seats, which means you have less room than normal. First time I used them and feel "hosed".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Diana Byrne    (USA)

Standard

I traveled to Chicago O'Hare from Orlando on Sept 24th - all went well, left on time and arrived on time. A smooth flight and everyone was very courteous.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by J Moy    (USA)

Standard

This airline gave me what I was looking for - an inexpensive way to get me from point A to point B. Due to maintenance problems, we were held up for 4 hrs, but that tells me they're more concerned with their safety record than their on-time record. They gave a voucher for a meal at the terminal. The seats were fairly close together, but not horribly so. The desk staff and flight attendants were friendly and efficient. Good solid flight with a worthy aircraft. I'll fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by L Chiappetta    (USA)

Standard

Orlando (MCO), 9/29/14 to Latrobe (LBE), flight 878. LBE to MCO, flight 863, 10/4/14. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because both my flights were on time. As far as bare fare, if you can read, you know the rules. Why complain? Go somewhere else. The seats are not too roomy, true, but they are not so uncomfortable either. They are leather. The staff were friendly and I would fly with Spirit again. As far as food, there are basically only snacks you can purchase. You can get two drinks for a dollar each. So people again who complain must be really cheap.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by P Schweizer    (Australia)

Big

LAX-IAH return. Both flights on time, friendly crew, read the small print and printed boarding passes at home. Friendly check-in staff both in LAX and IAH. Both flights including big seats, checked-in luggage were about half the price as I would have paid on UA in first. Only downside, credit card machines did not work on both flights so could not purchase any drink/food on the plane. Would not hesitate to fly them again in the future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by C Maitlin    (USA)

Standard

Worst trip ever. Flight was cancelled due to fire in air traffic control in Chicago (not the fault of Spirit). However, the customer service was horrendous. The next day, I checked in and the manager was training 5 new employees. The manager was taking her time to show them the process step by step and made me jump through hoops to show them how a customer checks luggage to make sure it's the right size. I asked if, considering the last 24 hours, she could skip the training and check me in faster. She was rude, inconsiderate, and showed 5 new employees that terrible customer service is OK with Spirit. I'll never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Jack Marshfield    (USA)

Standard

I traveled on a flight from Myrtle Beach to St. John, Virgin Islands. My family had not read the rules and requirements for the airline, so we were surprised by the added fees of baggage, and had to work to try and get things straightened out. The desk clerk tried her best to be as helpful as possible to minimize any fees that needed to be paid. Once on the flight, the seats were a squeeze, but no more uncomfortable that most airline seats, with the exception that they do not recline in any way. No big loss, there. Any snacks or drinks on the flight have to be paid for, at airline inflated prices, and there was no in-flight video, no wi-fi, no entertainment of any sort. Those can be dealt with by bringing your own drink and snacks in your personal bag, piece of cake. It's not comfortable by any measure, but it's not bad considering the price was about a third of the price on any other airline I looked up.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Antoine Mose    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Chicago to Boston got cancelled due to bad weather. The customer service was very limited (extremely long wait time, it felt like speaking to a robot who kept repeating itself). The company only provided the option of booking the next available Spirit flight which was more than 24hours later or get a refund of the cancelled flight (so only 50% of total flight price). The company didn't provide the opportunity of booking a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Vince Powling    (USA)

Standard

Horrible customer service, unprofessional staff, bad information. Flight out to Chicago was late 90 minutes. Was misinformed that my flight was canceled on the return and ended up having to pay for a hotel and dinner and catching a red-eye flight on my dime on the return. Worst ever experience flying and with customer service in general. These folks hire people that are unprofessional and have zero training in service. They also nickle and dime you for everything. I wouldn't fly them again, also they have the worst seats in the airline industry.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Harris    (USA)

Standard

The worst of the worst (and then it goes downhill from there). First time I flew them the flight took off 2 hours late. The second time (shame on me given their reputation) the flight was announced as late and then took off on time without announcement causing me to miss the flight. Even though several others missed the flight as well and after 1.5 hours in customer (non) service lines there was no refund or credit offered. When an interviewer suggested Spirit was the Walmart of airlines, he proudly stated that was not true, Spirit was the Dollar Store of Airlines. Odd thing to be proud about. Never on time, surly employees, no consideration or accommodation for anything. All of the employees I've spoken to hate them (which is probably why they're so surly). It is the airline equivalent of riding on top of a train in India. If you must patronize them, make very sure you are aware of their draconian policies or you will receive surprises that will not be enjoyable!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

Flight 660, Sept 6th, Kansas City to Chicago. Fight 659, Sept 10th, Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were comfortable. The cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues  I felt Spirit is really good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by S Horton    (USA)

Standard

From Houston to Atlanta - Ticket Cost $353, to check in at the counter $10, Kiosk- free, Carry on Bag $50 at the Kiosk, $100, at the gate. For a reserve seat $5 to $25, a random Seat - free. Sodas and water $3 each, 2 sodas and bag of chips $7. All drinks and food were for purchase. They did not have a card reader so it was cash only. Flight attendants were not needed, because they didn't provide a service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by L Yock    (USA)

Standard

Having flown during most of my career I've experienced about every airline and every travel situation imaginable. Yesterday I was completing my first round trip on Spirit. I was traveling through Chicago, this was the morning of the fire in a Chicago area air traffic control facility. Needless to say air travel was a mess. The Spirit staff at MSP was as professional and efficient as I've ever experienced. They were facing a very difficult set of circumstances and they were doing their very best to accommodate many people who were much more stressed than what the situation required. Also, all 4 legs of my flights were as comfortable as any other airline seat - the onboard crew members were friendly and efficient. The entire experience was as positive as the other 20+ flights I've had this year on several different airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by B Ferguson    (USA)

Standard

No value, not satisfied, not using this company any longer. I saved money on the tickets, but after my bag and carry-on fees I spent more than the other airlines was charging, oh and don't fly back into the USA and go through customs at Ft. Lauderdale unless you have 5 hours to waste. 5 hours in line and office told me they were short 25 employees and those that were on staff were knew which meant they were slow.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Murtagh    (USA)

Standard

9/18, TPA-DFW, flight 813, 9/22, DFW-TPA, flight 812. I read the reviews and was prepared for "no frills" service. Flights were on time seats were not noticeably smaller. Attendants were pleasant. No real difference from United. If you pay luggage fees when booking, it is cheaper.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Karen Harrison    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is a scam. Its approach is to make you believe you are getting a deal, but there is a charge for everything and the seats are so uncomfortable unless you purchase a a big seat. I was going to my graduation on a simple flight from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, which should have been a simple flight, however, both flights were delayed over an hour coming and going within two days. I missed my graduation exercise because of the terrible service!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Chris Jeffery    (USA)

Standard

From LGA to FLL - no bag sizer next to the kiosks at LGA, so I was not sure if I should pay the 50$ fee for bags or not. I did for fear of having to pay 100$ per bag at the gate. There was a bag sizer in the boarding area I measured my bags (2) and called the attendant over to verify that both were of size to go on the plane for free. The attendant agreed but said that they couldn't give a refund now because they were already starting the boarding process and this was the only attendant working at the gate. He said that we could get the refund from customer service upon arrival with no problem - that was a lie. Customer service was less than useless and refused to issue a refund even after placing our bags in the sizer again and seeing that they qualified to travel for free. We later called the airline and spent 45 min on the phone which lead to more excuses - bottom line, this airline is a giant scam and I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Nelson John    (USA)

Flight 971 running late due to crew arriving late. Airline only allows 1 personal bag, the other you must pay $50 to place it in the overhead compartment - $45 to check it to your final destination. 1st and last time I fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Sid Sab    (USA)

Standard

From beginning to end, my experience with Spirit Airlines supported the negative reputation that I have born witness to. Several flights were delayed several hours and there was no consideration for the passenger/customer through the inconvenience to our plans. Being charged for drinks on board a flight that was delayed and ultimate tacked on 6 more hours onto a trip is a slap in the face. The inability to seat myself and my wife in another pair of seats, because her seat did not lock in the upright position, while their are seats available is insulting. I presume locking the seat in the upright position is stressed for safety reasons. Why wasn't sitting in a seat that locks in the upright position? I originally thought flying this airline would prove to be a bargain, but after being charged for carry-on and/or check-in luggage, seating, refreshments, catching up on wasted time, flying with Spirit proved to be very costly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by S J Kerwin    (USA)

Cheap airline but not so cheap when you get to airport, $30 for checked luggage but only 40lbs, the usual is 50 lbs so then they hit you with an additional $25 and then a carryon is another $25 - then seats are so close together that sardines have it better. We usually fly United but got a really good deal on seats so decided to try. Never again, in the long run any other airline would have been cheaper and certainly more service. Thank goodness the flight was only 2 hrs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Mary Psihogios    (USA)

On Tuesday, September 23rd, I had a flight out of BWI airport in Maryland scheduled for take off at 12.41 which of course was delayed and delayed and delayed. I realize that it comes with the territory when you fly and it's bound to happen when you fly often which I do. The problem I had most was there was no real explanation for the delay, the plane was there, the weather was good in both locations. When it would get close to the time they predicted we should board or pass it then they would say something like, it wasn't "cleared" to fly. None of us knew if we were getting out of Baltimore that day or not and as time ticked away they did not offer any alternatives. We did finally take off around 6.15 or something with a $7 voucher in our hands that didn't cover the cost of an entire meal and a $50 credit tied to our confirmation number so everyone better not loose that but they still made us pay for a soda on the plane. I don't know it's just me but I think they could have done better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by K Engstrom    (USA)

Chicago to Orlando, September 17th. Return flight September 21st Orlando to Chicago. First and last flight. No second chance. The round trip was plenty of experience. Delayed both flights and not weather related. They charge for every last thing and you pay more for carry in than checked. Do I get to charge them for cleaning up the food droppings, peanut shells and dirty Kleenex in my seat? The staff is rude probably from getting grief regarding the fees and delays. I would gladly pay $50 more to be treated like human.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Cherchelanova    (USA)

Standard

My husband made a reservation from Chicago to Las Vegas. We were supposed to depart at 5.09pm but their representatives at the gate told us that the flight was delayed to 8.38 pm. Than at 8.00 pm we understood that the flight was delayed again to 10.10pm and the "empty airplane" which was specifically for us (feeling very special) just left Myrtle Beach. Every time I fly with Spirit Airlines there is some problem. This is the last time that I'm flying with them. Spirit Airlines doesn't care for their customers at all. Delays all the time. You pay for your carry on bag more than the regular bag (of course you don't have one free bag at all). If it's going like this soon we'll be forced to pay for our personal items as well. I will not fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by J Smith    (USA)

Standard

While sitting waiting for my departing flight I read some terrible reviews. This was a family medical emergency flight to Orlando. Booked less than 24 hrs prior. All the other airlines wanted $700 plus. Spirit came in at a reasonable $391, out of a tiny airport in PA - free parking - yes that small. The flight crew were fantastic, I think they got their training from Southwest! The low numbers for food beverage and inflight entertainment are due to the fact there was no option for NA. Trip home was a little exciting, landing was aborted due to last minute change in weather. Our competent flight crew were on top of it. I will certainly be a return customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Benham    (USA)

Standard

To be fair, Spirit warns you that it is a bare bones on the cheap airline. it is the Greyhound of the sky and proud of it. My flight was delayed 7 hours due to the crew not showing up to the fly the plane. The worst part about it though, was the fact that I arrived at the airport 10 hours early to try and get an earlier flight. when I checked in they informed me of the delay. They knew of the problem 10 hours out and did nothing. I gave up the fight because this was an experiment to see if it would be worth using them again. Obviously you really get what you pay for. However, about 40 passengers where loud enough to get someone, manager?, to try to calm the situation. She then spent 30 minutes flipping back and forth between excuses, what she could do to help, and what not. in the end she informed everyone that they could cancel their flight for a 150 dollar fee or get comfortable. It is unfortunate there is not recourse the passenger have in a situation like this. Again, the airline knew 10 hours in advance of the problem and just did nothing. Just a live and learn situation. did get a 7 dollar meal voucher. Got me a large water for $7.50.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Montgomery    (USA)

Standard

Dallas to NYC-no problem. Return flight on 9/22 is a different story. We were boarding the plane with the exact same luggage we had on the original flight. One of the gate attendants insisted that my wife's bag was over sized and we would have to pay $50 to take it on board. I read all of the requirements when we got our boarding passes that morning, and it said clearly that each person was allowed 1 carry on bag, and 1 personal item like a purse, etc. When I placed the bag in question into the container that is used to measure allowable size, it fit perfectly. Another passenger walked by and said the same thing had happened to her on this flight as well. After the attendant noticed that the bag was ok, she said that if my wife's purse and a small camera bag that I was carrying would not fit into a carry on bag we would have to pay $50. I told her that her company's written policy stated that we could board with what we had, and that we had traveled on previous occasions with no problem, her only response was that no one else was doing their job right but her. We were backed into a corner, the plane was boarding and there is only 1 flight per day from NYC to Dallas, so I had no choice but to pay. When I told another attendant there that we would never fly Spirit again, she said that she didn't care. This attitude is unacceptable. Having been in the customer service field for over 20 years, I could not believe this attitude is condoned by the airline, but after reading other reviews here, I see that it is an accepted behavior. I will pay double before I fly on Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Pete Gau    (USA)

Standard

After paying the bag fees Spirit was no longer the cheapest option from Minneapolis to Vegas. In my opinion I felt like I had been tricked by Spirit. This was my third trip to Vegas in eight months and it will be the last with Spirit if they continue to have a bag fee.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Tina Weikert    (USA)

Standard

Ft Lauderdale-BWI. Flight delayed 2 hours, cabin was dirty, including bathroom - the sink was clogged and floor had water all over it. When I let flight attendant know she just laughed and waved it off. The captain advised us that drinks would be served and that normally credit card is usually the way that you can purchase but the machine was down, so cash would be accepted. I did not have cash since I spent it on a drink that I thought I could bring onboard due to a medical condition however the gate lady said I had to throw it out. I asked for a glass of water and explained my medical condition, I never received my water. After I purchased the ticket thinking I had a great buy since I'm disabled and live on tight budget then got the shock of the baggage charge. I will go back to flying another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by P Devoogd    (USA)

Standard

My $200 flight became $345 after all their additional fees per ticket. I didn't know I had to play for carry-on bags that they hit you at check in for. $50 a bag for each member of my family. We booked at different times and one of the confirmation numbers never arrived so I was not able to check in online the night before so I was charged more. When I called customer service and followed their menu and hit the number for what I needed, the menu started over. It took 15 minutes to find a number where I could speak to someone. What kind of airline does not tell you that you have a seat, you can't choose a seat, pay for carry-on (checked bags were less), require you to check in online so you can pay less for your bag (but I can't print boarding pass while on trip with no printer) etc. I just wasted 45 minutes and now spent more money than I would have if I booked on any normal airline. I will never fly on Spirit again regardless of the cost because of the headache it gives me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Kallis    (USA)

Sep 12 2014, Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - Chicago, IL - O'Hare, return Sep 14 2014. After looking at past reviews, I was concerned that I had made a mistake. I'm pleasantly surprised to have been mistaken. The majority of the complaints I have seen are related to spirits pricing. I was well aware that I was purchasing a "bare fare" and exactly what this meant. For me, it's not worth the additional fare charged by other airlines to have a "complimentary" snack and drink. I don't always require a larger carry-on, so their fee for carry-on bags is no problem for me. I appreciate having the option to decide on a per/trip basis exactly what I wish to pay for. The remainder of the complaints appear to be regarding delays, etc. I don't think these types of issues are unique to Spirit, as I have experienced similar hassles on other airlines, which charge higher fares. My flight out of Dallas was delayed (due to weather) and I received an email notifying me of the delay! No full-price airline has ever done this. This was a nice surprise. They also sent an email to my son, who was picking me up, as I had sent my itinerary to him from their site. Very helpful. The flight back was perfectly on time. The flight was great, staff on both trips were courteous, and as for space it did not feel any more cramped than other airlines. It's true, the seats do not "recline" if that's what you call the meagre movement the other airlines provide. The bottom line for me is Spirit provided me with affordable transportation from point A to point B without the so-called frills. I would definitely consider flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

NK660 Sept 6th Kansas City to Chicago, NK659 Sept. 10th. Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a totally good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were even comfortable.  The flight cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues. I felt Spirit was good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kenneth Thompson    (USA)

Standard

In the past month I have flown with Spirit Airlines four times, and not by choice. I am a freelance designer and my travel was arranged by the company I was working for. However, I will never choose to travel with Spirit and strongly advise people to look elsewhere for a discounted fare. I understand the idea behind cutting amenities for a cheap ticket, but that does not mean the aircraft has to be completely filthy. Every one of my eight flights were delayed, and twice I was stranded overnight and left to my own devices to find lodging for the night. I have never experienced more deplorable customer service. Every single employee behind the Spirit counter looked and acted as though they would rather be shoving bamboo under their fingernails than helping anyone arrange flights or seating. It was so ludicrous at one point I honestly thought I was on a hidden camera show. This was not just one airport, it was at every airport I have been to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kirsten Blaikie    (UK)

Las Vegas to Ft Lauderdale, NK954. Fr Lauderdale to Orlando, NK138 on the red eye on 04/09/2014. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this airline at all! If you follow protocol and actually read the add on prices etc. you will get what you pay for. Budget airline that acts as a flying bus, if you want anything more than this you should pay for a more expensive airline. It gets you to exactly where you need to go. Staff couldn't have been anymore helpful and explained fully to us about the interconnecting flight as I was weary. If you can't handle their operation then use a different airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Gayle Kay    (USA)

Standard

Poor Customer Service, Poor Problem Solving, and Promises Unfulfilled. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline I've flown on. I needed to make last minute arrangements for my mother and I to fly to Los Angeles from O'Hare in June. Spirit Airlines provided transportation to our destination, but it was certainly cut-rate all the way. They charged $50 extra for any bag carried in addition to our purse. They also charged for water and peanuts. The seats were tightly squeezed together as I expected, but I didn't expect them not to recline. The return flight stopped in Dallas. In Dallas we were told about weather problems in Chicago. They kept us on the Dallas tarmac for 3 hours. After 3 hours our flight was cancelled and we waited in line for hours to reschedule. We were told there were no more Spirit flights available for the next 3 days, they were all sold out. The attendants at the Spirit counter promised a full refund for our return flight, which Spirit later would not honor. They did not fully refund the cost of the flight home, nor the baggage fees they charged us. Not only were we left on our own to find a seat on another airline at a much higher fare, they would not help with any basic needs for a frail women in her 80s, like water. Spirit’s offer to assist us find a hotel ended up with them overbooking us in a budget hotel already sold out of rooms. No one (including other passengers) was aware the hotel was sold out until after they arrived at the hotel. No additional help was offered to find a different hotel. No reimbursement was provided for the hotel or food. This was my first and last time flying on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by D Matson    (USA)

Standard

I traveled round trip from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach, a trip my son makes at least twice a year on Spirit. We would both highly recommend Spirit Airlines. Their fees were clearly outlined on their website when I was making the reservation and also in the multiple emails I received ahead of time. The service on the plane was excellent and both of my flights were on time if not early. My son's flights have consistently been on time as well. They're definitely bare bones as they advertise but nothing was hidden and their value can't be beat.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by A Muszynski    (USA)

We flew from Detroit to Myrtle Beach the flight there was fine however, the flight home the seats had crumbs and the tray tables had smeared food and were just plain awful. I brought the condition of our seats to the flight attendants attention and she said "if we can we will try to move you" needless to say she never come back to check on us or give us something to clean up with, luckily I had wipes to clean the seats and the tray tables - I was thankful it was only a two hour flight. A very long two hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Rowell    (USA)

Standard

LAX to San Jose, Costa Rica with a layover in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst experience on all fronts. Checked-in at the counter as I wasn't sure if my bag was one that I would have to pay for. He told me that as long as I put my purse in my carry-on and only had one item, I would be fine. I showed him my bag and he confirmed that I would not be charged for it. However, when boarding in Ft. Lauderdale, I was stopped by one of their employees who asked me if I paid for my bag. I told her no, she asked me if I had used the overhead compartment on my way there and I said, yes. She informed me that if I planned to use an overhead bin then I would need to pay them $100 immediately or I would not be able to bring my bag on my flight. I ended up paying the $100 in order to board my flight and I was made to feel like the whole thing was my fault - it was terrible. On the way back home, my friend and I decided to go online the night before as we were told that if we pay online, we only have to pay $30. When we went to pay, their website told us that we were not eligible to make payments at that time. So we still ended up having to pay $50 at the airport check in. Even if that baggage fiasco hadn't happen, this flight still would have been awful. The seats are the airline equivalent of plastic picnic chairs and you have to pay for water (even if your flight is 5hrs long). Coming home from San Jose, after going through security, my friend decided to fill her plastic water bottle so that she could have a little for the flight. Before boarding, they announced that they were going to re-search our bags and that we would have to dump out all liquids that we were carrying, my friend didn't think that they would actually prevent her from bringing airport water on to the flight but when they checked her bag they told her she either had to dump it or chug it. She chugged it. It is clear that every thing Spirit does is an extra attempt to take more money from you. I understand that they offer affordable flights but it is not worth all of the extra out-of-pocket cash and stress that they cause. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Nelson    (USA)

Standard

I am pretty mixed about Spirit Airlines. They don't support Military or Elderly discounts, so me being Military going home on leave, I had to spent a lot of money for four bags. That was horrible, and then they "nickel and dime" you for everything and anything extra. The seats weren't all that pleasant when it came to comfort but they were more spacious than other airlines surprisingly. I did get to my destination on time and I got all my luggage. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Ruth Botz    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Lima with my husband and 3 year old baby, good service, employees were nice. When I returned I did have 2 changes in my itinerary, but was a nice experience. I will use this airline again. No food and beverages, but we took food in our carry-on bag. No Inflight Entertainment but I took my baby's DVD player for keep him busy. We did exactly what they requested and we didn't have to pay any extra money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by R Sublett    (USA)

Standard

How is this airline in business? Low airfare attracts people who travel with children and there were lots of them on my flight. New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale, 5 hours late. Concessions at the airport had been closed on our concourse for 4 hours by the time the airplane arrived. The staff would not even give the kids a drink of water unless mom or dad shelled out $3 bucks. There is a difference between being a discount no frills airline and a cheap one. Spirit is just cheap. So if you like flying with people that have five kids they do not control, if you like missing connecting flights or arriving very late, by all means fly Spirit. You will not see me there. And by the way, no matter what, the staff will always tell you the delay is "weather" related.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by M Wyszynska    (USA)

This is by far the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of flying. When I flew to Boston less than a month earlier with Delta the experience was great, unfortunately this time Spirit airlines has made not want to travel for a long time to come. When I flew with Delta the flight left and arrived at the same airports yet it was 100$ less with Delta. Also a carry on, drinks and snacks were all complimentary with Delta. With Spirit a carry on (not check in, that's more) costs 50$ each way if you pay online and $100 each way if you pay at the gate, a small water bottle costs 3$ and poor quality snacks even more. The worst part was when I checked the flight status before heading to the airport the flight said on time. When I got here I found out that it would be almost 6 hours late. Even now over an hour and a half after the scheduled departure time the Spirit airlines website is still showing that the flight is on time. When Delta left late they apologized and offered complimentary drinks and snacks while we waited, Spirit airline hardly has an attendant at the counter and when he is here he's on the phone making personal calls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Nefdavid Torres    (USA)

Big

Spirit has no standard operating procedures. I traveled from Houston to Orlando from Sept. 6th to Sept. 10th. I had the típica carry on suitcase that fits on the overhead compartment. Leaving Houston I was able to get on the plane free of charge. When I got to the gate at the Orlando Airport I was notified that I had to pay for the bag. I expressed to the gate supervisor that I was not charge at Houston airport and questioned him as of why I had to pay. He expressed that it was not their fault that Houston was not doing their job properly. He had no empathy towards me and or the couple that had the same situation beside me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Sussex Paul    (USA)

Standard

Hands down the worst airline I have every flown on - small seats and horrible customer service. Marketing and charges are deceptive and intended to confuse. Never fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Raisa Brocco    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Detroit and the flight was fine, uncomfortable airplane but for the price what can you do. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale the flight was delayed for 3 hours? I will never flight with Spirit again, even with free tickets!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Bonomo    (USA)

Big

Ft. Lauderdale, Sep 4, flight 657 to New Orleans and departed Flight 680, Sep 5 from New Orleans to Ft.Lauderdale. This airline is the worst. I have flown many airlines and have never had such a bad flying experience. The staff were very rude and all the unexpected fees doubled my price. It is no savings with a small carry on at $50 dollars and if I want to sit by my child had to pay $18 dollars for seats together. So my payment went up $136 each way.. not so great the plane smelled fowl and seats are cramped and very uncomfortable. Make sure you book a massage the next day, you will need it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Evans Yolanda    (USA)

Standard

I am normally an American Airlines passenger and vowed to never stray from them. However, when planning my trip to Vegas from Dallas Spirit had the best arrival time and departure time for me. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I, as well as others, heard a lot of negative things about Spirit, but I like to try things out for myself and give my own opinion of the airline. I must say I did read all there were to read about Spirit so that I wouldn't be caught with unexpected "price" surprises. I must say that even though the flight was tight as far as room I enjoyed the airline. Yes, they do charge for choosing more leg rooms, luggage, and snacks, but overall it was worth the money that I paid. Checking in and checking baggage were no problem. Spirit also sent emails informing me of my flight status. I just might give them a try again for my future trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Raj Banerjee    (USA)

Standard

Not sure how this airline is still around with the abysmal service and ridiculous delays. Flight to Chicago from Boston two days ago delayed by 3 hours. Today the return flight is delayed for three and a half and counting. Not weather delay mind you. Please avoid this airline. Not worth the meagre fare savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Francois East    (Canada)

Standard

Economy flight is economy service, do not expect US Airways first class service for a fraction of the price. Seats are uncomfortable, no entertaining system in the headrest, no free drinks, user payer system, bare fare, smaller size and lighter weight allowance for luggage. There is still an economy. We had the choice driving down to Florida from Quebec with two young kids and two adults for holiday, or flying from Plattsburgh and rent a car. There was only a $200 total difference counting meals and motels plus 6 days of driving back and forth. So we took this. Expect a slow service and read all user rules and conditions and you will be satisfied. For sure if you do not read that the registered item is max 40 pounds and you bring a 45 pounds item you will be charged with no exceptions because its cheaper for the rest. Read what you agree to buy before buying and there will be no or not many complains.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by F G Ross    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I flew Spirit from Las Vegas to Houston Texas in Feb 2014. It was so cramped, it felt like we were in a sardine can. I just read in the news that Spirit is the cheapest on leg room in the entire industry and that on an Airbus 320 they pack 178 passengers into the plane while United only packs in 138 passengers. Spirit charge for everything. We will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Ellis    (USA)

Standard

Flight 484, DFW to PHL, 8/28/14. Flight 215, PHL to DFW. 9/2/14. We had a good experience with Spirit Airlines. Some people only see that they "nickel and dime" you, but the truth is they gave a reduced price so that all the other things can be optional. We liked the plane we flew going out to Philadelphia and coming back to Dallas too! It was great and one of the things I liked most was the great customer service from the crew.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by William McCall    (USA)

My wife and I booked a round trip flight from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to take a 20th Anniversary cruise on Carnival. I did take the time to read the information that Spirit publishes on their website so there were no surprises for us. Beginning with our arrival at the New Orleans airport their employees were all most courteous, helpful and this extended throughout both the originating and return flights. Spirit sells you what you want, and does not sell you what you don't want or need. We paid for the equivalent of first class seats as well as checked bags and still came out hundreds of dollars less than the cost of first class service on any other airline. Both flights were smooth and on time. The flight crews did a very good job of getting everyone on board and ready to go on time. We would not hesitate to fly them again. I'm thankful they offer the option of a-la- carte flying.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Mary Grant    (USA)

Big

I checked in the day before and printed the boarding pass, paid for the checked baggage which I have no problem with. The instructions said go to the Fast Bag Check. It was a holiday weekend at LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world. There was no "Fast Bag Check" and only one check in counter open. I was in line more than hour before the flight time with about 4 people in front of me. The line moved slowly until there was one customer in front of me. It then came to a complete halt for about 30 minutes. The customer was paying for baggage with cash and they had no change. The check in person walked aimlessly around to other airlines asking fir change and then just stood at his counter doing nothing. He refused to check in any other customers. When he eventually got change and I got to his counter he asked where are you going and I said Dallas, he laughed and said "too bad, the flight has left". I replied no my flight was in 30 mins to which he laughed and said "check in closes 45 mins before the flight". I said I was in line well before 45 minutes and he had spent 30 minutes waiting for change when he could have helped others. He ignored me and called out to the next person in line. They too were going to Dallas and so was everybody in line. Everybody complained but he refused to do anything. The next flight was 7pm that evening and it would be an extra $267. I paid the $267 reluctantly. He would not check me in and made a snide comment about making sure I wasn't late next time or I wouldn't be allowed on that flight. The 7pm flight was delayed "due to maintenance" until 8, 9 and then eventually 10 pm. While waiting at the airport. I decided to check the flight online. The price if the flight was $92 and I had been charged $87 plus an extra $267. That was it I went straight to the boarding desk. Luckily the agent at the desk was really sympathetic and acted like he wasn't surprised, apologized and without me asking refunded the $267 and upgraded my seat to the most expensive seat for free. The flight attendants were actually very pleasant and helpful but the plane was so cold. The flight attendants were wearing sweaters and thick tights. Several passengers complained about the temperature but nothing was done. I arrived in Dallas at 3am and had to spend another $100 on a taxi because I could not have the person who was picking me up be up until that time in the morning. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Finlay    (USA)

Standard

4 hours late from Las Vegas to San Diego. Poor communications, no one at the gate. I was given a 7$ meal voucher 15 minutes before we boarded, and that was only because I asked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Roy    (USA)

Standard

I was a first-time passenger on Spirit Airlines, and unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Before online check-in, I was unable to reach customer service by phone. The FAQ section did not address my concern, so I expected to "talk" to a person there. All one gets when calling the phone # provided is one prompt after another, with no "speak to rep" option. The 4 takeoff and landings for my destination were all 2+ hours late. If you want to get there on time or even slightly later, forget flying with Spirit Airlines. Their routes are ridiculous. My flight from Kansas City to Minneapolis took me to Chicago first, where I had a long layover, which ended up even longer due to bad weather in Chicago. That was understandable, but flight out of Chicago on return flight was delayed without explanation. A flight from KC to Mpls is actually only 1.5 hrs, but it took me all day in airports and in Spirit planes to get there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Prassas    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit out of Philly to Las Vegas during Labor Day Weekend and I have to say this was by far the worst flying experience I've had. There is zero customer service skills among the staff - that and no communication between staff and customers regarding delays. I sat on the runway for a good hour before my friend asks the flight attendant what the delay was about and her response was "the jet is being fuelled", funny because there was absolutely no fuel truck in sight. We come to find out there was a mechanical issue with the plane. Where did they get those seats from. I'm by no means a large girl but those seats made me feel large, I was unbearably uncomfortable. The seats didn't recline, there was absolutely no leg room, and the seats were so close together that I could smell the breath of the person next to me. The temperature in the plane was so cold. If you think you're getting complimentary water think again - Spirit Airline nickles and dimes you for absolutely everything including water. $320 round trip from Philly to Vegas seems like a good deal until you add in the $90 for just a carry on and $3 for water and additional costs for any other drink or snack. If you are looking for a cheap flight you will find it on Spirit Airlines along with a cheap experience and lying staff members.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A King    (USA)

Just yesterday I had the worst experience I've ever had with any airline We were booked to fly out of Cancun directly to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. They had overbooked the flight by about 7 people and everyone showed up, some people volunteered to give up their seats for the usual compensation package. My partner and I checked in online in the morning prior to the flight. We arrived to the airport and waited at the check in counter as they were getting another couple checked in, printed boarding passes, checked luggage, and sent those passengers on their way to the gate. They however, denied us help, denied offering any customer service or compensation because they said we had arrived too late to print off boarding passes, but they did admit to use that they had knowledge of our online check in. Then, while we were standing at the counter with 4 other passengers, Spirit Airlines proceeded to book flights, and offer hotel and ticket compensation to the other passengers. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards