Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by E Dufour    (Canada)

Standard

We flew Spirit over the first week of March 2014, having picked it as an affordable way to get down to Miami from Montreal for a cruise. Our flights (both departing and returning) were delayed by at least an hour. The seats did not recline. I understand that this is a no frills airline, but seriously? If you offer red-eye flights, or flights at all, at least giving your clients a comfortable place to sit/sleep should come free with the purchase of a plane ticket. Staff were very rude. Somehow, each of our bags gained between 4 and 5 pounds between us weighing them at the door of the airport with our own scale, at the scale sitting at the entrance to the quick bag check in line, and the actual quick bag check in counter. Our carefully distributed bags ended up costing us an extra 25$. Needless to say, we'll never be flying Spirit ever again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by C Loo    (USA)

First time flying this airline and never again. We could not believe what happened on our return flight back from Chicago to DFW. Flight delayed 3 hours. We kept track of delayed postings and arrived 1.5 hours before the flight departure time. However, we did not check in online beforehand and upon arrival to the airport we were denied boarding because the agent said we needed to check in 45 minutes before original scheduled departure time, not the delayed time. The agent would not give us a boarding pass and told us the first available flight was in 6 days. That was completely unacceptable for us. We ended up having to purchase a flight from another airline to return home. Obviously, they filled our seats with other passengers to cover up their deficiencies and/or sold us out to someone else who paid more for our seats. We will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by B Schraer    (USA)

Standard

If you joined Spirit Airlines membership and paid the $59.95 fee and expected to not pay that again, you are in for a big surprise on the year anniversary, just like I was. They charged my credit card a second time without authorization. Also, the one time I booked a flight, the plane never arrived in San Diego. Customer service told me to get to the airport because they were certain the plane was on time. I did go in a panic, found 1 person from Spirit at their counter, found out the flight was not coming, and I immediately demanded a refund which I received on the spot. Luckily, I was able to book an early morning flight with Southwest to get to Portland. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Darian Dorrell    (USA)

Standard

Bought 3 round-trip tickets. Flights were delayed up to 3.5 hours one way and 2 the other way. Switched the gates on us 6 times. Staff unfriendly and rude. Inflight crew rude and obnoxious to passengers. No apology given and got bounced around to different departments. Each department accepted no responsibility. My time is more valuable then $25 when I had to wait multiple hours, deal with miscommunication and nasty staff. Finally they tried to give me a $25 voucher for my complaint. Worst service I have ever experienced.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by R Diezel    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly this airline again. I flew for the first time with this airline - thinking I got a good deal - wrong. Flights with a stop over are considered direct by this airline, but you have to get off the plane. That becomes a real hassle if you coming back into the US and have to go through immigration and border control. The airline does not allow enough time for this! Study their website in every detail and do your math before you book, you will end up being better off, initially paying more with other airlines. There is a boarding check-in charge of $10 per person each way if not done on the internet, which is hard to do for your return trip since you need to print your boarding pass. This can only be done 24 hrs or less and more that 1hr before departure. The planes are new but seats and tables are filthy. Out of my 4 flights, 3 were overbooked!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by G Hunt    (USA)

Standard

BWI-LAS, 3/12/14, Flight #695. LAS-BWI, 3/15/14, Flight #696. I will never fly with Spirit again! They charged me for checked baggage. They charged me for my 1 carry on item! No other airline that I've flown with charged me for a single carry on item, it's part of the price of the ticket. My wife and I were traveling together and in order to be sure that we were seated together, I had to pay for the seat assignments. No other airline does that if there are two available seats together. You get them as a part of the service! If you don't print your boarding pass before arriving at the airport, they charge you $10 per passenger to print the boarding pass for you in the airport. But here's the catch: you can't print the boarding pass until 24 hours before your flight. So we were unable to print our return flight boarding passes because we had no access to a printer while in our destination city and so had to pay the $20 to get two boarding passes printed at the airport. If I have not as yet made completely clear my opinion of Spirit, let me take a moment to do so now:It is a very clever combination of tricks and well designed misdirection to make you believe that you are getting a better overall deal than with a real airline. Under no circumstances will I fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by S Jones    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit several times. For a very small fee from Dallas to Oakland CA. At the low cost of $100 round trip. I can say that the planes are not too clean at all. I read the small print, I don't pay for any extra's but my luggage. Some people complain about paying for luggage but most of the other airlines charge as well. I just flew on United air two days ago and my flight was delayed and the ticket was very high just to go to Oakland. Key point cheap ticket pay for luggage, expensive ticket luggage added in to ticket price on the under. At any rate fly Spirit you get what you pay for. I give Spirit a small ok rating.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by V Ripley    (USA)

Standard

8 Mar 2014, FLL-DTW. This is the first and last time I will fly Spirit Airlines, the nickel and dime costs add up. I had a carry on bag that because of the wheels on it was 1.5 inches too long and I was charged an extra $50 to bring it on board with me. This is after we were charged an extra $75 because our check in luggage was just a few pounds overweight of the 40 lbs allowed. There was total chaos at the check in counter and staff had no desire nor clue on how to make for an easier way to assist anyone. I will gladly pay more money on another airline before these crooks get anymore of my hard earned cash. If you are flying by yourself with nothing more than a backpack this is the airline for you.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Paul Gomez    (USA)

Standard

I can just simply say that their airplanes as well as their gates are simply the filthiest of all airlines in the US. My Flight was from FLL to LAS, flight # 777. Their seats were all torn and smelt. They had a menu full of items, but the only thing available was ice, not even water. Staff were awful, rude, and not courteous at all!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by F Mueller    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is undoubtedly the worst airline in the U.S. Don't be fooled by their low fares. I booked a round trip flight from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. What started off as $30 one way - $60 round trip ended up costing $335.98. I had to make a change to my flight and got charged $139. Add the seat fees and baggage fees and there is no value. On top of that the attitudes of the staff that you can hardly understand. I have not flown this flight but when I do, I will update the operational experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by D Hubbard    (USA)

Standard

Bad all-around experience on our return flight from St. Thomas to BWI. Plane was late arriving and they pushed back the departure time by 1/2 hour. We got worried because our layover was only an hour in Ft. Lauderdale for our connecting flight to Baltimore. However, the gate agent assured us that we would make our connections. After boarding, we sat for another 1/2 hour while they worked out issues with the plane. Finally departed more than an hour behind schedule. Flight landed 7 minutes before our connecting flight departed. I could not get any information from the flight attendants, nor could anyone at Spirit customer service try to contact someone in the airport to hold the flight to Baltimore for a few more minutes. We missed our flight and had to rebook a flight for the following morning. They also will not work with other airlines to get you on one of their flights. On top of that, they charge you for everything they can think of (choosing seats, checked bags, carry-on bags, overweight bags, food, checking in at the airport). This is the one airline I've ever flown that I would never recommend to anyone even if it was hundreds cheaper for a ticket.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by J Debeers    (USA)

Standard

FLL to San Jose, Costa Rica - flight boarded late and after 30 minutes on the plane we were told we had to deplane again. We boarded an hour later and arrived at destination at 3 am. No way to get anywhere at that time - had to wait until 7.00 am to catch a shuttle to my final destination.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Adriana Steele    (Canada)

Standard

We live in Toronto and have flown out of Buffalo, NY into Florida for years. We were delighted to find out that flights were available from Niagara Falls into Fort Lauderdale. Flight cost was a couple hundred less than other carriers for the dates we had searched. We were sure to read all of the details in traveling with this discount airline. We took advantage of checking in bags online, booked seats in the exit rows for a little extra space and checked-in/printed out boarding pass before heading to the airport which not only saved money in the long run but also meant that we literally spent less than 5 min. in the fast bag drop line at Fort Lauderdale airport. On our outboard flight, we were delayed getting into Niagara Falls due to a snow storm and arrived to the check in counter 15 min. prior to the scheduled departure time. They gladly took our bags and we boarded the aircraft which was delayed by a 1/2 hour due to weather for the incoming flight. On the return flight, we found out 4 hours prior to our departure that the flight would be delayed by 1 hour, this was a little tough to hear as we were taking a night flight which meant that we would now not arrive into Niagara Falls until 2am. All was fine and the flight left as per the delay that was noted on the companies website. We would fly this airline again, have in fact already booked the family in for our Cruise out of Miami in October. Even with the added cost for bag check- in and upgrade to exit row seats, we still find this airline to be much more cost effective. You can't expect to fly with a discount carrier and expect a Delta flight. The only one negative thing that we can say it that we wished that the seats on the aircraft reclined on the overnight flights.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Mik Theo    (Canada)

Standard

My trip turned out to be enjoyable and no surprises if you plan ahead and follow the baggage weight and size policy to the letter. We flew as a family of 4 from New York to Fort Lauderdale on an airbus A321. Both flights arrived on time and baggage came out within 20 minutes of arriving. The seats were comfortable enough for a 3 hour flight and I am 6 ft tall. The airport terminals for cheap airlines are dingy and overcrowded. Your fare does not include "seats". There are cheap seats range from $10 to $40 each way so make sure you book your $10 seats online as early as possible or your trip cost just went up $80 per person. The best deal is the free personal bag (backpack) - you can stuff quite a bit in 16x14x12. Our checked baggage was overweight and the FLL agent was nice and gave us tips to put the heavy items in our backpack to avoid paying the $50 overweight fee! Our flight out was 30 minutes late departure (but still landed on time) and the agents on board were friendly and rolled off a few good jokes to win the crowd over. Fill up you water bottles at the terminal to avoid buying drinks onboard and bring some chips. Our bikes cost $75 which is much cheaper than the major carriers. Overall we saved about $800 for a family of four and we would do it again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Sarah Pastore    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again. 15 hours waiting in the airport because they were short staffed, absolutely unacceptable. Worst fight ever. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by K Scott    (USA)

Standard

Flight 319, MSP-RSW, 3/1/2014. Flight 318, RSW-MSP, 3/5/14. Do your homework, lower your expectations, and enjoy your cheap airfare. They charge for everything, water, to check a bag, to stow your carry-on in the overhead compartment, to choose a seat, print your boarding pass at the airport. Do your homework and figure out what makes the most sense for your trip, and don't assume you'll get anything for free. For 2 of us, checking one bag, and purchasing our seats was still $150 cheaper than 2 tickets on Delta. You are allowed one free carry- on bag, but it needs to fit under the seat and must meet the dimensions set by Spirit, we each had computer bags and were just fine. Checked baggage must weigh less than 40 lbs - 10lbs lighter than most airlines. There is no wifi on board. There are no inflight magazines, bring a book or buy a magazine. The seats are smaller than normal coach. If you are uncomfortable in coach seats on Delta, don't fly Spirit. I'm 5'5' and 6 months pregnant, with an aisle seat on a 3 hour flight, I was fine. They will try to sell you a credit card, they're not super pushy, but it's a little annoying. We checked in online within 24 hours, printed our boarding passes with no problem. We went in with super low expectations and arrived at the airport 2 hours early. If you check in online, you qualify for "quick check in" so we actually bypassed the line when we flew home. In MSP, we waited 15 minutes. The ticket agents in MSP and Ft. Myers were friendly and helpful. Our outbound flight was a bit delayed because the inbound flight had to de-ice. Boarded at the time the plane was supposed to depart, but they were efficient and we landed 5 minutes early. Flight home after vacation actually left early and landed 15 minutes early. Flight attendants on both flights were friendly and nice. Our luggage arrived in one piece.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax