Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by K Schwartzbaue    (USA)

Standard

After 7 hours of delays, canceled flight, rescheduled flight for following morning, 6 hours of delays - zero explanation and horrendous customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by James Straub    (USA)

Standard

It was unbelievable that you didn't even get a drink or snack for a 5 hour flight! Also, a fee for a seat? To really top it off, the two seats directly in front of me were broken and pushed forward with caution-like tape wrapped all around them! I've never seen anything like it. This left me unable to get a drink if I wanted, because I had no tray to place it on. What blew me away was there was no apology or explanation about the seats, and no complimentary offers due to the major inconvenience. The flight attendants acted like there was nothing abnormal at all! I will be sure to tell everyone not to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Tazjere R Wilson    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly with Spirit Airlines again. This airline charges far too much. I had to pay $150 extra dollars just to check a bag and bring a carry-on round-trip, and pay $10 for my seats each way! There should not be a charge for seats, especially if I'm already purchasing a ticket. All of the staff members were incredibly rude. My flight had a 2 hour delay, and we weren't even offered refreshments as a gesture to make up for our time. The refreshments were extremely overpriced, We didn't even get a complementary cup of water! The flight attendants were not friendly. My flight was from Chicago (ORD) to San Diego (SAN).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Sebastien Gagnon    (Canada)

Standard

We had the displeasure of being on the March 7th flight departing from Plattsburg New York heading for Fort Lauderdale (flight #451). Flight was delayed until the next day. They told us to come back at 8am, by that time we checked in and went through security to find out that the flight had been delayed again. They only offered to refund us, but as per their’Contract of Carriage we were more that 2 hours delayed, this implies that someone should of offered us re-accommodation or rebook us on another flight. This was never offered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by V Placeres    (USA)

Picked Spirit because they offered the cheapest price for my flight. However, you don't get to all the hidden fees until it's too late! I spent nearly the same amount of money paying for fees like carry-on fees, fees to pick a seat and then water isn't even complimentary inflight. In the end, I'd rather fly with a better airline if the price is the same. Not choosing spirit for future travels. Not recommended unless you are traveling with just a personal bag, not an actual carry-on luggage. Unbelievable. What was supposed to be an affordable flight turned into a bait and switch situation. I'd rather pay full price than be deceived. Do not pick seats in row 10 as they do not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by S Peters    (USA)

Standard

March 13, flight 245 from Chicago to Las Vegas, return on March 17, flight 446. Worst airline of all time. Cheap tickets? They charged for bags (carry on or checked), charged for seats, charged for coffee on the plane.  I was told to sit for my wheelchair request, getting to the plane when it was in final boarding! I'd still be sitting there if I hadn't asked again for assistance. Staff seemed completely uninterested in passengers at the airport. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Jim Haag    (USA)

Standard

Well I have to say we have traveled spirit since the beginning out of Atlantic city to West Palm Florida. Each flight may have had some delays but overall its a very good airline. I have to remember what the owner said in an interview, you don't to McDonalds for a steak. They get me from place to place safely and get me on the ground. Overall the flight crew are great.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Theresa Smith    (USA)

Standard

Friendly, helpful staff. We were able to get cheap flights round trip out of Chicago. The flight was 30 min late out of the gates, but due to the weather all flights were late that evening. We were early on the return flight. The staff seemed to enjoy their job and it showed when dealing with the customers. The biggest complaint is the seats do not recline at all. We took a red eye flight both ways which makes it very difficult to sleep. Also, I understand charging for beverages, but I think a glass of water should be offered at no charge.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Jeanette Castillo    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I had a flight last week back to Houston, TX from LA. We were about to leave for the airport when my husband got a notification not from spirit airlines that our flight was delayed. When we were on our way to the airport for the second time, he decided to check again to see what our flight status was and it was cancelled. We did not receive an email from spirit indicating that our flight was cancelled. By far the worst airline! This was the first time we have taken this airline and will be the last time we do so. The flight tickets maybe cheap but it is not worth it in the end.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Lane Eisenberg    (USA)

Standard

We booked a trip to Vegas for our son's 21st birthday, when we called to check our flight it was delayed before we even left home. Arrived at the airport and was told the flight was delayed again from 9.30 to 11.30, however then the flight was delayed again to 12.15 and then to 1.30pm and then we got the great news that our flight was cancelled along with two other flights. Never has this happened in all my years of traveling, they had no other flight to book us on until after our trip dates were over! We will not book with this airline again as it ruined our vacation and they were not helpful at all or concerned.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Mary Mills    (USA)

Standard

Flew out of BWI on March 6, 2014, flight #301. I returned on flight #410 on March 10, 2014 from Fort Lauderdale back to BWI. My experience with Spirit Airlines was by far the most unrealistic, unbelievable flight I have ever had. They advertise that Spirit has the lowest fares, but in essence, they do not for the following reasons: 1) You charge $45 to take on a carry-on, if done so online, $50 at the airport counter, $100 if the attendant at the gate says your carry-on is not deemed to be a carry-on. 2) $40 to check if done so online. 3) $2.00 for water on the flight, and on and on. I was allowed a bag with a hat from BWI to Fort Lauderdale and on my return, with this same bag, I had to pay $50 because the attendant said I only could have my purse which was not a large purse. When I told her that I came down with the same bag, she responded in an unprofessional manner and said well here you will pay. I will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by A Lowe    (USA)

Standard

Flight 470 from SAN-LAS on 3/16/14. Spirit Airlines is the worst in this industry from paying for a seat to paying for a carry on bag, my first experience was my worst experience. I'll never travel on this airline again, I'd pay us airways high fares doubled before Spirit gets another dime of my hard earned money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Sklar    (USA)

3/16/14, Flight 971, FLL-DFW. worst domestic carrier - apparently a well known fact. Nickle and dime you to death or at least extreme aggravation. Ended up paying nearly as much as I would have on another airline for much worse service. Never fly this airline! Was in one of the big seats up front so seat ok. Pity the suckers in back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by L Drinkard    (USA)

Standard

My fiancé booked a surprise package deal for our honeymoon that included airfares on Spirit. There are some clear cut pros and cons with this airline. The good: Cheap fares, new planes, and assigned seating. The actual airfare you'll pay is cheap, however, there are other fees to be found. More on that in the bad. The planes appeared to be modern and new. We enjoyed plenty of leg room and a clean bathroom. Having assigned seating takes a little pressure off boarding, as well. The bad: At the best, unhelpful, at the worst, rude employees and staff. Excessive baggage fares. When my husband and I checked in 1 hr 10 mins early, we were told we were late and had late arrival written all over our boarding passes and luggage. Spirit boards 1 hour before scheduled departure. The baggage fees will take you by surprise if you don't do your research. I also take issue with our FAs insulting attitude in our return flight from Cancun. Yes, it's spring break and we're coming from Cancun, but announcing on the loud speaker, "It sure is quiet in here. Nobody's talking but the babies because they're hungover." Would I fly Spirit again? Probably, but only after a careful cost comparison against other airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Spivey    (USA)

Worst airline I've experienced. Flying Vegas to Houston, we had a 12 hour delay due to a "cracked windshield". Instead of having another plane available, they had to fly in a new windshield from another city and put it on. They waited until boarding time to break the news. They also changed our departure gate several times. They charge for both carry-on and checked bags. They charge you to check-in. Terrible customer service. No complimentary snacks or refreshments provided. Overall, a terrible experience. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Miller    (USA)

Standard

We chose Spirit because it was the "cheapest". They charge you for baggage and believe it or not, a carry-on is actually more expensive ($45/bag) than checked luggage. $45 is actually the discounted rate because I pre-paid. In order to ensure my family sat together, we needed to pay for each seat - for each leg of the flight. I had to pay for 12 seats for one round-trip flight for a family of 3 at a cost of nearly $200. In addition, most airlines do not charge for a child younger than two years that sits on her mother's lap. Surprise! Spirit charges. Onboard, forget about a complimentary glass of water, everything must be purchased. We never had one flight depart as scheduled. Out of the 4 individual flights in this trip, two were cancelled after multiple delays and the ones that weren't cancelled were significantly delayed. As a result of the cancelled flights, the seats I purchased for my family were not the ones provided to us. On one of these return flights, I had intentionally placed one member of the family 10 rows behind the rest of us so that he could sleep without being disturbed by our baby that was with us. As a result of the cancelled flight, we were placed all together on a much later flight. Needless to say, there was no sleeping with a very exhausted baby at that point. When our flight finally arrived, the Spirit desk was closed so I called them the following business day to request a refund for the seats that were purchased but not provided. I was told that there would be no refunds because we were provided seats and we accepted them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by R Hughes    (USA)

Standard

Atlantic City, NJ to Tampa, Florida 3/6/2014 and Tampa, Florida to Atlantic City, NJ 3/13/2014. Spirit should change their name to "Cattle Call Airline" with "I don't really care about you" employees. By far the worst travel experience of my life. Tickets are not cheap (like they say they are) after adding all the extras. Terminal staff are arrogant and inflexible, in-flight staff have a bad attitude and treat passengers as "sardines". Passengers are packed into in-movable seats that even a normal size person would be uncomfortable in. Come- on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by T Chella    (Canada)

March 9, flight 511, Detroit to Las Vegas. Attendant mumbled very quickly through the safety instructions. Could not understand anything. They did not once come down the aisle to ask if we wanted to purchase anything. Bad enough a 4 hr flight and not even a glass of water but not invited to buy one either. On our flight home they asked if we wanted to buy something at least. They could not manage getting a passenger off the plane minutes before take off and so the pilot was in the back of the plane dealing with that instead of preparing for flight! Throughout flight attendants talked very unprofessionally amongst themselves while seated at the front eating. At one point people were waiting for the restroom in the aisle so 2 of them argued who would tell them to sit down to wait. Finally one stuck her head over and drawled that we should go sit down. Final straw was such a loud and rattling landing that the oxygen masks fell down for the seat across from me. Attendants didn't seem to care. Passengers were horrified. Also be aware that the airport luggage scale in Las Vegas airport weighs luggage one pound less than the Spirit scale when you check your luggage in. The grumpy woman at check in said she is aware of the problem so charges you $25 for extra pound. She didn't understand that customers are not aware of the problem and we are the ones impacted! I explained this to her and she couldn't have cared less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by D Riley    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip from MYR-ACY, 3/14/2014. Rturn to MYR on 3/16/2014. The new planes (2014) are "tight". The new seats no longer recline and there's even less room for your knees. The less than 1.5 hours flights are tolerable. Just get ready and take some advil.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Adnan Mir    (Australia)

Standard

Flew from Ft Lauderdale Airport to Chicago O Hare. It was a morning flight so experience a mile long wait at the TSA counter in Ft Lauderdale, airline cannot be blamed for this. Booked this flight because it was cheap and since we were doing a lot of around the country flights, Spirit really saved us some money. I was really satisfied with the flight slept through most of it, the flight was cramped with no inflight entertainment but that did not bother me much. I know most people complain about the extra charges but if you plan your trip right at the start with spirit it is actually quite a good experience. We flew back to Las Vegas using Spirit and I found that experience to be good also, no delays in either flights. Overall will fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards