Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by A Janda    (USA)

Standard

I paid for a Spirit Airlines ticket, but my flight was cancelled the day of. The excuse given was bad weather for the incoming plane. Ironically, we checked other airlines, none of the others had cancelled incoming flights. Furthermore, my flight had few seats sold which I thought was very interesting and concerning. The flight was cancelled and the very few customers who had bought tickets were delayed from the morning to the afternoon. The problem is for people with connecting flights. This airline should not be called a "no frills" airline, but a "non caring" airline. When a consumer buys a ticket, there's a trust that the flight will be honored. People who were stranded weren't put up in a hotel. The resounding feeling from those on the flight was that they won't fly Spirit again. Once again, there are critical time sensitive reasons for travel. Once an airline breaks the customers' trust, it is hard to regain.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by R Evelyn    (USA)

Standard

I will never take Spirit again, my first and last time. Not such a bargain price when you have to additional $90 for carry-on luggage and you check in online. Would have been cheaper and a more flexible flight to fly with another airline. It. cost me almost $200 round trip from LAX to Las Vegas when it should have been $98 as advertised.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by B Cecil    (USA)

Standard

My second time flying Spirit and the last. First of all, who doesn't want to save a little and spend it on activities? The problem is that you don't realize until after you have booked that more fees are coming. I knew there would be seat fees if I chose to sit next to my traveling companion, and I also knew that I would have to pay for checked bags. What I didn't know until I received a reminder email to do online check in is that now Spirit also charges $10 per person if you do not do an online check in and print your boarding passes. After $160 extra for bags and cheap seats, they want you to pay to check in at the airport too. The real topper of all this is that my flight from Dallas, with a brief stop in San Diego, then on to Cabo, was all without any type of drinks because no one bothered to stock the plane, so after you ordered and they swiped your card, they came back and said "Oh, so sorry, we are all out of that". Also, after you pay for those seats, you may or may not get them. Its not worth the hassle and all the extra fees-at the end of the day it still costs as much to fly this "discounted airline" as it would to fly one of the others that is straight forward with the charges. Stop being sneaky and underhanded Spirit, no one appreciates it!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by D Miller    (USA)

Standard

May 8th, 2014, PDX-LAS. Flight 293. May 11th, 2014, LAS-PDX, Flight 360. The staff at the terminals are a miserable group of people and you can tell they hate their jobs. Departure was 4 hours late, from talking to other people this is not unusual. Return flight was also late. Paid for the trip and bags and seats and when the departure flight was so late I had to rebook on Alaska, tried to call Sprit but good luck with that. When I went to return found out they cancelled my return flight because I didn't make the original departure flight even though I paid! finally convinced the very miserable staff at the counter that it wasn't my fault I couldn't make their late flight. Flight attendants were pleasant on the flight but seemed to know that they work for a very low budget airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by D Bruns    (USA)

Standard

Never again will I fly Spirit, this was our first and certainly our last. Our return flight from Vegas to Dallas on May 7 2014 was originally scheduled to depart at 11.35 am, which turned into 8.35. No notification of flight status change until we checked in and were told it was delayed until 6.00 pm, which changed to 4.00 then to being cancelled. We were given vouchers for $7 which won't even buy you a sandwich in the airport! Customer service was off the scale of being totally unsatisfactory. We paid extra to have particular seats which on our return flight, we did not get. You would have thought the least that could have been done once boarded would have been to offer complimentary beverages, but no such thing. The experience was a total fiasco, to put it nicely. I am telling everyone I know that flies to avoid Spirit at all costs because it is not worth the few extra dollars you save for all the inconvenience and headache that comes with it. None of the other flights that came in during my 12 hour stay was on time, so obviously they didn't leave on time either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by T Burnier    (USA)

Standard

They cancelled my husband's flight 8 hours before he was to go. Only notified him through email, did not offer any flight alternatives. It cost us an extra $168 to get a rush ticket with another carrier. They would not cover the difference of cost to get the flight. Poor customer service - I waited on hold for over 30 minutes - spoke with an unfriendly customer service agent. Very dissatisfied - will only use Spirit again as a last resort.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Esta Miller    (USA)

We flew from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Spirit changed our flight out because of the flight not being fully booked. They gave us about a weeks warning, so that was not too bad as we could plan accordingly. However, on the way back from LA to Ft. Lauderdale we flew from LA to Chicago, changed planes and the next leg went to Ft. Lauderdale. While in the air from LA to Chicago, they canceled our second leg of the flight and the next flight out was 6 hours after we landed. Had they told us ahead, we could have planned accordingly. But to change it during flight is inexcusable. The man at the gate was uncaring and rude. We asked if they would put us on another flight landing in a nearby town. We were told that there was no room. 10 minutes later 6 people came up to the gate, late (they missed the flight we tried to get on). In other words, the guy lied, there was at least 6 empty seats on the plane and they could have put us on there as stand by. They also charge for sodas, snacks and beverages. If you wish to pick your seat you pay for that also.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by L Stevenson    (USA)

Standard

Plane was late to arrive to begin. Our flight was at 1.47pm, plane arrived at 2.10. Flight attendants couldn't be found. All passengers boarded the (very dirty) plane and the pilot announced (after 30 min) that they were experiencing mechanical issues. 15 minutes later a mechanic showed up. 30 minutes later they de-boarded us. We waited around in the airport with no answers. They kept telling us that they were "holding" the connecting flight. 1.5 hrs later the problem was "fixed". All passengers boarded again. As soon as everyone was on the plane the pilot announced that the mechanical issues hadn't been resolved. We were in Fort Myers in 80 degree weather and sitting in a plane with no AC. Eventually all told to de-board. We waited in the airport again for another 1.5 hrs, with still no answers other than they were still holding the connecting flight. Finally told that folks that had connecting flights needed to go back down to the Spirit ticket booth, it was going to be first come, first serve. Once all 60 passengers were back down at the ticket booth we again waited for at least 2 hours in line waiting for answers. They put us up in hotel rooms, but never told the hotel, and never notified the hotel shuttles that there were 60 people who needed transportation. We finally left the airport at 8.15pm! They gave us a food voucher, $7 per person, and $50 credit to fly their airline again. They are short staffed, the planes are dirty and the seats don't recline. Your knees were hitting the seat in front of you. You don't get any beverages or snacks on the flight. Bottom line is it was a horrible experience. It was a cheap flight that cost our family lots of money and stress. I don't recommend giving Spirit Airlines your business.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by S Tyrone    (USA)

May 6 2014. Purchased two tickets, BWI to LAS, depart 7.40 p from Balt. $416 plus $138 in seat selection charges. Plane delayed until 10.30p due to bird strike out of Pittsburgh. Updated to learn plane was hit by lightning twice. New departure 12.30 a. Plane coming in to Myrtle Beach, that plane didn't leave a Myrtle Beach for BWI until 10.45 p. Arrived around 12.45 a. Plane was grounded. A plane which had been sitting at our gate since 10.30p was activated for our flight, but it had to be prepped and fuelled. This added a half hour. We boarded around 1.15, the water system was out on this plane, toilets were available, but no one got to use them. We circled the tarmac and waited 30 min. for clearance to take off. Departure denied and the flight crew had timed out so we taxied back to the gate. Spirit offered us a rebook or refund. My issue is the ground logistic were to blame, no departure approval, they knew they were switching equipment, why not gas up the plane two hours prior. The reason the flight was cancelled was not due to bird strike or lightning, simple human error and gross incompetence. My wife and I arrived at BWI at 5.00 p spent $100 on airport dinner, $12 to park, almost 10 hours later to circle in a plane on the ground to drive home at 2.30 a. We have flown Spirit before, got to where we needed to go, but it really should not be this kind of gamble, customers should not be treated like freight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by M Gentile    (USA)

Standard

This was the worst flying experience I have had. I felt like I was sitting on top of the person next to me - and I am a relatively small person! I had no leg room whatsoever and my seat did not recline. How do you expect to sleep on a 5 hour red eye without even a slightly reclining seat! I even have a reclining seat when I take a $25 bus from NYC to Washington, DC! They call yourself the "most affordable airline" yet you charge for everything. $30 for a checked bag!? $18 for a seat. I will never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Kovacs Ron    (USA)

Standard

If you want feel miserable about yourself fly in this company. They are not cheap. They are always late. If they often cancel a flight, then you will be alone buying another ticket from a real company with last minute price. There is no such thing as customer service or respect for the customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by D Ottey    (USA)

Standard

I hadn't flown in years and was excited to fly again. Found the best rates with Spirit and was ready to go. Everything went downhill from there. Once you arrive, you get hit with all theses extra fees for everything from baggage to snacks and soda on the plane. Then the seats are so cramped, this is the first plane I've been on where my knees touch the seat in front of me. In the end, it would have been cheaper and more comfortable to fly with another airline. Never again will I fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by L Meinen    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit Airlines for the first time in March 2014 from Minneapolis to Ft. Myers, FL. We departed early and arrived early. The flight attendants were friendly. I only took a backpack so I had no additional fees. After three days I decided to stay longer so I went on-line and changed my return flight to a week later. The cost was a flat $130 change fee - way cheaper than the major airlines and also no charge for any difference in airfare. Once again we arrived 15 minutes early in MSP. I would definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by D Savage    (USA)

Standard

It is a shame that when you fly on this airline you must figure in the hours of delays and lies that the airline will give you. I was to fly from Myrtle Beach to Washington DC (Baltimore) at 5.22pm. They came across the intercom that the flight will be delayed until 8.30pm due to a bird strike against the plane. Then right before we get to board they delay it again until 10.01 due to 2 strikes of lightning against the plane. I have been watching the board and when Detroit hit their boarding time it went to 1.00am. Now the next flight out of Myrtle Beach is not until 5pm tomorrow night, that is if we don't take off at 1.00am. This is not what I want from an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by H Gossett    (USA)

Standard

Flying into Las Vegas, there was no alcohol to be had. We were told that the passengers coming from Vegas drank it all. The seats are super tight, the plane dingy, and the staff were extremely rude! Also, after booking flight and hotel, plans needed to be changed. Even though I tried to change hotel dates to leave earlier several weeks prior to our trip, there was no refund. We had to pay an astronomical amount to change our flight to come home early even though we requested the flight change weeks prior to our trip. Extra costs for boarding passes, carry on's and checked luggage made this trip much more expensive than if we would have booked through another carrier. Flying home from Vegas never happened. Best case scenario, flight home delayed for 6 hours. They would not comp anything and couldn't give an exact time to fly out. We were told that they would accommodate us in some unknown fashion if it the flight was delayed more than 24 hours. Needless to say, we paid for another flight to get home. We will never fly Spirit Airlines again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by J Rager    (USA)

Standard

I have never been on a worse airline. They hook you on the rate but you end up paying for all the hidden charges. I booked this airline for the direct flight but of course that did not matter when the flight was delayed 2 hours. The plane was dirty, garbage all over the floor, the seats did not recline, they were small with no space, you had to pay for your beverages! I have a family of 4 and when I tried to reserve our 4 seats together because I have small children I had to pay $10 per seat and then for my suitcases.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Michael Hixson    (USA)

Standard

I planned a trip with my family 4/12 through 4/28 to go to Guatemala to visit family. I pick Spirit Airlines because they seemed to give the best deal with later became very eye opening due to all the little charges for checking in bags and charging for everything under the sun! Because my bags were not checked in online I had to pay, a carry on had to be paid for, food on the plane was costly for what they had. Had I known all the money I would be charged I would have booked with a better airline. Spirit has the most unfriendly customer service people I have ever seen and were very rude to those that had questions. Spirit airlines nickeled and dimed us that it made our trip a little more stressful! I would recommend that you find another airline to fly on whenever possible. The next time I will book a flight that cost more just to avoid Spirit airlines! The seating is cramped and very uncomfortable! Inflight entertainment - what inflight entertainment. Spirit is a joke.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Gail Carter    (USA)

Standard

I feel that Spirit Airlines is in the business to nickle and dime a customer. These are the following reasons: Airline ticket may be reasonable but baggage cost $300 for 3 bags and 1 bag was a take on. Told to go online to save money for luggage prices, however, you had to pay additional money and/or join and pay for a membership, this was not initially told to me beforehand. It was an additional $10 if you had not already printed your boarding pass, plus if you wanted an assigned seat, that was also an additional $15. The plane seats were horrible, you could not recline in them, how would your back feel flying from Baltimore to Vegas round-trip, it was like standing up the entire time! Finally, the bundle menu, the prices were terrible and utilizing a credit card for a soda and cookies for $10 is ridiculous. Furthermore if your luggage was over 50lbs you are looking at an additional $80. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by F Kittlaus    (USA)

Standard

On the 4 flights I took with Spirit between April 24th and May 1st to Costa Rica from LAX and back, the flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Costa Rica was delayed several hrs, and both returning trips were delayed. One of which was my return trip from Costa Rica to LAX, in which the layover flight at Ft. Lauderdale was pushed back until 11pm which meant our flight would land at LAX to 2am. When I asked the customer service rep at Ft. Lauderdale if the airline could arrange for a shuttle or taxi to get me home because of the third delay of the 4 flights, she said she could do nothing but arrange for better seats for us. That meant very little to me considering Spirit has some of the worst seats I've sat in. Once on the plane I figured Spirit would at least offer their passengers a complimentary bottle ofwater for another delay. But no, they still wanted to charge us their insanely high prices for their beverages and food. All in all Spirit offered the worst flight experience I've ever had.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by A Johnson    (USA)

Standard

I was denied my seat by the ticket agents. I arrived, as instructed, over an hour before the flight (ATL-LAS). When I went to check in at the kiosk, a ticket agent explicitly told me to stop and stand in a different line. Once the agents finished texting and chatting with each other, they finally got to me - only to declare that I'd missed check-in. When I protested that I'd been standing in line the whole time waiting for them, they said I should have checked in via a kiosk. I replied that I had been checking in, until they told me to stop and get in another line. Then they offered to rebook me on a flight leaving 2 days later. The whole time I was at the ticket counter, the other agents were busy taking complaints from other customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by S Wu    (USA)

Standard

I just traveled from Denver to Fort Lauderdale this morning. My experience was great! Before I departed, I saw lots of unsatisfied reviews everywhere, primarily complained about the size of seats and services, I was very nervous and anxious. But it turned out Spirit Airlines was run as a normal low cost carrier, which you got what you paid for. I traveled with a backpack, which is able to put under the seat. I also had personal item. My final destination is to Lima, and I only paid less than $500 for round trip. It was really a great deal. I am about 5'3", so I don't feel the seat is as small as claimed. I would highly recommend this airlines to anyone I know. You will save a lot!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Theodore Sadowski    (USA)

Standard

I have been flying Spirit to Myrtle Beach since 2005 and have been happy, yes there are delays sometimes, however I like sitting on the ground instead of going in circles in the air. I agree on the weight of luggage, why only 40 lbs and not 50. as far as the staff and service, no problem. Going to MYR in 3 weeks I'll see if there are any changes to the bad.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Chris Wigle    (Canada)

Standard

Our first time flying with Spirit was March 2014. We boarded plane on time but sat waiting for over 1 hour with no explanation from the pilot or flight attendants. One passenger, finally fed up made a comment to one of the flight attendants stating that someone should make some kind of announcement as to what was going on. Shortly thereafter the pilot made an announcement that the problem was an oxygen tank in the cockpit. Flight attendants were very rude and chatted amongst themselves most of the time. Our second, and last time was the end of April. It should be noted both flights were booked at the same time otherwise we would have gone with another airliner. Flight was to leave at 7.20am but arrived late. Announcement was made that there will be a further delay because apparently the plane had hit a bird and it was to undergo an engine check. Pilots and flight attendants left the plane and 2 hours later it was fixed, pilots boarded however, no flight attendants were to be found, another 1/2 hour passed before the attendants arrived. We finally boarded and made it home. On both flights, the attendants could have been more respectful and just polite. Food purchases available could broadened. Flight #'s and info can be given if requested. We fly twice yearly at the least and would rather pay more to have polite attendants who keep their passengers inform if delayed, have bigger seats and more choices for beverage and especially food.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by J Colonna    (USA)

Standard

My wife had a one hour flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa at 9.45pm. It was then delayed until midnight. There was no problem with the plane, they just didn't have anyone to fly it! About a half hour before they were supposed to board, the flight gets delayed again! This time they will not be leaving until 1am. This airline should be ashamed of itself. No compensation was offered, just a half hearted apology. We will never fly Spirit again. I will pay extra to stay away.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Michele Donnelly    (USA)

Standard

This is an airline I will go out of my way to avoid. Small seats, rude flight attendants, delays and cancellations - it is the worst! They advertise super low fares, but then charge you 3.00 for a glass of water, and 25.00 for a carry on. They push a credit card application on you - promising mileage bonus coupons for completing it and turning it back in before you leave the plane. Then when you try to have the coupons applied to your account - they do not honor them. Complaints get you nowhere. It is not cheaper, and I will pay extra to avoid this airline in the future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Cindy Race    (USA)

Standard

Las Vegas from Minneapolis, flight 763, April 12, 2014. Return to Minneapolis from Las Vegas, flight 612, April 19. We were worried after reading reviews, however, our first trip with Spirit was professional from the moment we traveled to Las Vegas and back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by J Tufaro    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew from FT. Lauderdale to San Juan this past weekend. The flight left on time and was fine! True, this flight is only 2.5 hrs long, if you are on longer flights the seats are tight. We have used our credit card for free spirit flights, we've gone to L.A. twice, to N.Y and now to P.R. Bring snacks, reading material, a deck of cards, anything, because there is no entertainment, but for the cheap fares, we'll make the sacrifice.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Forbes Tyrone    (Bahamas)

Standard

Santo Domingo to Fort Lauderdale. The worst nickle and dime airline I have been on. It started at the counter in Santo Domingo. I had purchased a $45 carry-on baggage online. When I got to the airport I bought some rum. As I was connecting to Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas I would not be allowed to carry the liquor through. So I placed it in my carry-on and decided to check it in. I told the Customer service rep that I did purchase a carry-on for $45 but needed the bag checked in. The seats are right on top of you. There is no space to stretch your legs. If I don't pay for an exit row it is an uncomfortable experience. Then you have to pay for everything, water, cookies, chips, anything. The only hot meal they can offer you is a Cup O noodle soup. After I arrived the international area was crazy. We must have arrived with 4 or 5 other airlines. I had to wait over 2 hours to clear immigration. When I entered the Customs area I knew I would miss my flight. I asked the Gate agent if she could assist me because I only had an hour and a half before my flight. The staff member walked off. I am sorry but that is not how you retain customers and I can assure you unless Spirit is the only airline flying somewhere I need to go I will never patronize this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Charles Teer    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit several times in the past for the low fares and tolerate the bad service for the lower fares. I will never use Spirit again after what happened today. My wife's booked 2 tickets on the 4.25pm flight from D/FW to O'Hare. I was driving them to the airport at 2.30pm when she received an email from Spirit that the flight was delayed until 6pm. She checked the website and called customer service and confirmed the new flight time. We came home and then left at 4.20 to return to the airport. My wife checked the flight info and it was now moved back to the original time of 4.25pm. Once at the gate the agents explained that the delay was cancelled and that the flight was on time and it was our fault for not being at the airport at the original scheduled time. They recommended to catch the next flight at 6am the next day. Spirit reminded us the tickets were non-refundable and would give us vouchers for another flight to be used within 90 days. They finally agreed to refund the ticket prices when they verified they had sent an email about they new flight time, however no deal on the $80.00 unused baggage fees we paid.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Hilado Winston    (USA)

Standard

Terminal was overcrowded, plane was full, no movies, no snacks not even water, rough 5.5 hr flight. Seat belt sign on the whole time, discouraging bathroom breaks especially for older people.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Lelia Frakes    (USA)

Standard

Spirit isn't cheap as they advertise, the cost of the ticket, then the charge for a bag (even a carry-on is charged), $3.00 for water, even more for snacks, by the time you pay for everything it is around the same price as other airlines. The seats in Spirit are small, I am a short, average woman and I didn't even fit into their seats, at least with other airlines I always have enough room. The airline staff were horrible, they were always chit chatting with each other or someone they knew on the plane. I will never fly or recommend Spirit airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Elaine Thomson    (USA)

Standard

This was my 1st flight with Spirit airlines, from Oakland CA to Las Vegas, NV. The flight attendant's were very nice, even told me that I didn't have to check my bag in and just to add my purse to my bag which saved me money, the flight was great and the flight captain relaxed us with his jokes. I have flown all over the US and Europe and with the ease I had at checking in, the courteous staff and having any question answered promptly, I will definitely book again with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by J Beneschan    (USA)

Our flight from Cancun to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday 4/27/14 was delayed more than 2 hours due to an issue with one of their aircraft. This caused many people to miss their connecting flights, which is understandable. But the next available flights on Spirit to various destinations (Boston, Denver, Detroit, Orlando, New York, etc.) ranged from 24 to more than 72 hours later. Families with small children coming home from spring break were told that they would have to wait until Thursday to fly to Boston. Further, Spirit management did nothing to provide hotel accommodations for anyone stuck in Ft. Lauderdale, nor did they attempt to contract with other carriers to get any of these people home. The only message they gave us is that this is company policy. When some people became outwardly angry due to the time and financial hardships caused by this airline, Broward county sheriff's deputies were called in to keep order. Interestingly, one deputy told us they see this on an almost daily basis regarding Spirit because of so many people's frustration with this airline. Spirit has clearly put their bottom line far above customer service and care. We will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by C Ambroz    (USA)

Standard

I went from MSP to PHX round trip. Their flight attendants are good, the baggage is a fine price, make sure to pay online. My grandfather and I packed one checked bag and it worked out cheaper than a carry on. The problem is the aircraft. I really wanted Spirit to work but it didn't. Flight to PHX was delayed 2 hours and we missed spring training game for that day. We even boarded the aircraft taxied to the runway to find out the right engine was out. On the way back we were delayed half an hour for other mechanical issues. Everything is great besides the one component that really matters. I would give Spirit a second chance.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by A Martin    (USA)

Standard

Before flying with Spirit my family and I felt a little anxious. We didn't know anything about this airline, so we took a chance and the experience was nice. Excellent staff at the airports. Spirit is a Low Cost Airline, do not expect great service onboard. The itinerary was on time including layover at Fort Lauderdale. If someone is looking for save some money although you must pay for luggage, snacks, seat location, etc, this airline is a good choice. But if people want special service on board, first class, free luggage or seat location, this is not your best bet. The most important must be the air safety, excellent maintenance and well trained crews and if this airline does it, I have no complaints. After all everybody wants to arrive on time to your destination.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by James Crump    (USA)

We have flown on all the major airlines, we decided to try Spirit it was cheaper and I know why. It is like traveling in a sardine can, no leg room, seats didn't recline. I kept getting a knee in my back because the seats had no padding. After this trip if I have to fly I will never fly Spirit airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Anthony Russell    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst airline operating today. On my flight to DFW from Las Vegas, I guess the flight attendants were having a bad day because none of them smiled and they were rude. Granted, everyone has a bad day every now and then, but this flight crew were rude and snobby. Prior to boarding the plane, the desk attendant called for boarding zone 1, but 5 seconds later made an announcement for all boarding, which created a cluster because now everyone was in line. Returning to Vegas was just as bad, although the plane we were on experienced delays due to repairs. I think I'll just stick with Southwest Airlines for my economy flights.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 April 2014 by E Harris    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit a couple of years ago to Miami, FL. During that time I was not charged a fee to carry on a small roller bag going or coming back. This year I had the exact same bag and did not purchase the carry on fee because it was free before. Now I fly out of DFW and when I get to the terminal and wasn't allowed to board because I did not pay for my bag in advance. They allow one carry-on bag free of charge, but was told that my bag was too big and I also had my purse in my carry-on bag. Now they want to charge me $100! How did a carry-on bag go from $35 online to $100 at the gate on the exact same day? I told them that I had used the same bag before and wasn't charge so I asked if it was a new policy and was told that this policy had been in place for the past 3 years. Needless to say I ended up having to pay $100 for a small roller-bag and the lady in front of me was just as furious! Yes the flights are cheap, but they will get you in some small way to make up for the cheap flights!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by G Kennedy    (USA)

Standard

I must say after reading some of the past reviews prior to our flight, we were a little nervous. But once we had our first experience last week, we will fly with Spirit again. The airline gets us to point A to point B safely and a budget that will work for our family. If you want all the bells and whistles, go with a different airline. But if you think about it, it clearly states how much baggage fees will cost you during online reservation vs counter check in. People were surprised by the Luggage weight requirements, Printing out boarding passes, Leg room, Seat not reclining, really? Do we complain just to complain! We always want something for nothing!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by D Porter    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight from Santiago, Dominican Republic to Chicago, Illinois. This was booked with reservation because I traveled through Spirit a couple of years ago and had a horrible experience. At that time I vowed to not travel with this airline and when asked about the airline, I spoke of how horrible it was. I booked Spirit this time only because it was the most economical, not the best flight accommodations because I had 2 layovers Santiago to Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando and Orlando to Chicago, which Orlando's layover was approximately 10 hours, but for the price, why not. I went online to pay for baggage which Spirit happens to be one of few airlines that charge for first bag when flying internationally. I was confused that when I pay for baggage from Santiago to Chicago I had to pay double. I spoke with representative she stated once your bags are paid for, the charge is from Santiago to Chicago. When I arrived at the airport in Santiago I spoke with Customer Service Representative for clarity about the bags and bag charge. She stated my bags were paid only through my second layover which was Orlando, but from Orlando to Chicago the were not paid for. I explained to the Representative that I spoke with someone over the phone stating it was paid through Chicago. She spoke with her Supervisor, the Supervisor made the adjustment and I was on my way. Lines at Security once I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando were long, but moved very fast. Staff were friendly and helpful. My bags made it to my final destination Chicago without incident. Spirit has redeemed itself, I will fly again and recommend to everyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by P Vail    (USA)

Big

My husband and I recently flew Spirit for the first time on a flight from Boston to Ft Myers, FL. We had read all of the bad reviews, but decided to take our chances and try it because the price (even with all the add ons) was cheaper than other airlines and it was a non-stop flight. If you do your homework and educate yourself on all of their add on costs, there shouldn't be any surprises. The only thing I hadn't read about was their weight limit. It's 40 lbs. per checked bag, or 80 lbs. total for 2 bags for Spirit and 50 lbs. per bag for other airlines. We each checked a suitcase and a set of golf clubs and the combined weight of the 2 bags for each of us was a little over 80 lbs., but they allowed a little wiggle room and didn't charge us extra which we appreciated. The flights were on time and the planes were clean. We opted to pay $25 each way for exit row seats so we had plenty of legroom, but I did notice that the regular seats were quite close with little legroom. My only complaint was that the seats didn't have much padding and didn't recline. I would have no reason, based on my first experience, not to fly with this airline again. My advice to those contemplating flying Spirit would be to read and understand all of their policies, then there won't be any surprises.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Long    (USA)

Standard

Flew round trip from Detroit to Ft. Myers Fl, April 12 and April 19th. What happened to Spirit? Last time I flew with this airline was 9 years ago and I did not have 1 complaint but this time? Filthy is the first word that comes to mind. Food on the floors, dirty, greasy seats, and when I told the attendant that the tray table was filthy she handed me a napkin. Before I left I looked in the seat pouch to see if there were any comment cards and found a used vomit bag. Used. Besides the crud the luggage prices are ridiculously high. They charge $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). These are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, spouse, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. I would never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by B Scarpa    (USA)

Standard

My daughter that is pregnant had an emergency surgery and I had to get from Tampa to Dallas ASAP on a minutes notice. All other airlines charged between $700-$900 for a same day flight. I found Spirit and purchased a ticket for less than $400. I read upfront about the extra cost with baggage and food and planned accordingly. I took my one small backpack and bought my snacks and water and got onboard. The airport staff, and the flight attendants onboard the aircraft were extremely courteous and kind. Yes, the seats are closer and not quite the same aisle space but for getting me where I needed to go - fast and at a decent price. I had no flight delays and arrived on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Lalonde    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Chicago to South Carolina and back. Yes the flight was cheap and even paying for our bag still cheaper than anything else we could get. It is extremely annoying to constantly be asked for money while traveling. For your bags, if you want a specific seat, for water etc. don't expect to get anything without paying for it! Be prepared to wait in a long line if checking a bag as everyone checks a bag. The staff in South Carolina were very nice regarding weight, I think they realized their weight restriction is less than other airlines as they gave us a little wiggle room (most airlines are 50lbs they are 40lbs). If you fly Spirit pay for bag before checking in online it's the cheapest. If your flying with someone else book tickets together because your seats will probably end up together and bring snacks.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by G Hulet    (USA)

Standard

Flying Detroit to Dallas, and the flight was delayed 4 hours because the tail of the plane was broken. Apparently there are no back up planes. Called Spirit customer service twice, and received attitude. They would not book us on another airline, and only offered a 60 day voucher, but they would not tell us the amount or cap for this voucher. They also would not cover the taxes and fees associated with the voucher, or any of the other nickel and dime fees that come standard with flying Spirit. They offer the cheapest tickets because no one wants to fly their terrible airline, and because they scrap their quality from the bottom of the barrel across the board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Hommer Rebecca    (USA)

Standard

I am not a person who flies often. However, my experience with Spirit Airlines was the least enjoyable of any trip to date. The airports were dingy and dirty, the air planes were small and the seats were uncomfortable. These areas of discomfort would have been on the verge of acceptable if the cost of our flights really were less expensive than the other air lines. In the end, the cost of the bags (with a weight of 40 pounds max), the cost of a carry on and the fact that we had to pay to select our seat increased the cost of the flight to be equal of other carriers. The level of delays, not just for our flight but for every flight that day (and not related to weather) was unbelievable. The saving quality of Spirit was the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful even in the midst of cranky customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Puneet Vaid    (Australia)

Standard

Bogota to Las Vegas via Fort Lauderdale. Terrible experience, very dirty flight and extremely disorganized passenger service and operations. This airline having know the fact that it takes time to go through border control and homeland security gave us less than 1 hour at Fort Lauderdale airport to go through the security and immigration check during peak hours with over 300 odd passengers in a queue. This was at 18.45 hrs, I was supposed to be on my next flight unfortunately with Spirit at 20.00 so we had roughly 35 mins. As a result I missed my flight. In spite of the fact that the airlines knew that so many passengers were stuck in the queue with immigration they didn't bother to delay the flight by few minutes and left us in limbo. I went to the service staff and they said they could not ud to Las Vegas that night but the day after. They wouldn't provide a hotel but said they could get me to LAX airport that night and I could make my way to Las Vegas by taxi (at my own cost ). This flight was delayed by nearly 3 hours and I reached LAX at 2.30 in the on 15th leaving me no way whatsoever to reach Las Vegas by 4 am to board my next flight. I had to buy another ticket for my international flight for roughly $900.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by J Richardson    (USA)

Standard

Sure get a cheap flight, but you'll get to spend hours and hours at the airport waiting to get on your flight. I am in the middle of 3 hour delay that has been upgraded to a 6 hour delay. I could have spent this time on something productive instead of sitting in an airport. My mother's last trip involving Spirit included a 2 hour delay and on my last flight with spirit it was a 3 hour delay. Change your name to Delay Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Amy Moorman    (USA)

I recently flew round-trip from Detroit, MI to Las Vegas, NV April 4th and April 7th, 2014. The airplanes that Spirit used for both of these flights were absolutely filthy (grease prints from foreheads on the backs of the seats and dirt on the floors). But this was the least of my complaints, really. Spirit charges $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). If you would like to check your bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online, then it is $40 ($50 if you check-in at the airport). Oh, and these are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. I ended up paying $90 just to bring my carry-on bag on the plane with me. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, significant other, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. Those complimentary beverages? On Spirit they are not complimentary. $3 per beverage and obviously no free refills. So, while Spirit may advertise with those low prices flights, they will then screw you over by charging you a ridiculous amount for luggage (both carry-on and checked), your seat, and beverages that would otherwise be complimentary if you had chosen another airline. Do not fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by C Guthrie    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have booked through. There is a fee to pick your own seats, nothing is transferable if something beyond your control comes up. This is just not a consumer friendly airline, it's just plain greedy. It's not comfortable in the seats, and they make you pay for every single thing. I will NEVER book through this airline again, they are the most greedy airline imaginable. Anything they can possibly make you pay for, you better believe they will. The service is horrible. Nothing was good about this experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by N Silva    (USA)

Standard

Boston (BOS) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) return. Just do your research, understand what you're getting, and how businesses operate. In my mind, this is the equivalent of taking the cheap Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC. No one takes said bus for comfort, or luxury, or great customer service, or poor in-flight food, they take it because it's cheap, and it'll get you there one way or another. Spirit's whole business model is based on what they consider "extras." Carry-on that's bigger than a medium-sized knap-sack is extra. Being picky about your seat assignment is extra. In-flight snacks, big seats, using staff at the ticket counter, all these are considered "extras." So when it comes down to it, it's all a big game. They set the rules, and you make the moves and manoeuvres to get through the maze with as few dings to your wallet as possible. With the "Spirit game," you don't pick your seats, you bring your own food, you pack as light as possible, you measure and/or weigh your baggage beforehand to avoid penalties for getting it wrong, you do your best to squeeze into small seats, you listen to headphones when they do their credit card shpeel on the loud speaker, if you can, you go to the airport to buy your tickets (buying online carries a convenience charge), you find out ahead of time when the ticket counter is open at the airports you'll be flying through (if you need them), you avoid using the ticket agents in any way possible. Those are the rules of the game. It's up to you which rules you want to abide by, and of course, it's up to you whether you want to play the game at all.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Huettel Lisa    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew to South Carolina, and before we flew, my husband called Spirit to see what the procedure was for checking baggage. He was told that although the internet says to pay $25 online, or $50 at check-in or $100 at the gate, we didn't have to. We flew out of Chicago O'Hare Airport with no problem. When departing South Carolina we were told, as we were boarding, that we had to pay $100 to carry a back pack and 1 piece of luggage with us on the plane. We, and 3 other people had to pay $100 for nothing. It wasn't a problem going there, suddenly it's a problem? I will never fly with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by R Baca    (USA)

Standard

Denver International Airport to Las Vegas Nevada airport. Flight number 719 on March 19th 2014 and back to Denver March 22nd on flight 562. Terrible experience both to my destination and back. I fly a lot and was very disappointed. The fees for the bags are crazy. I was able to get on the plane to my destination without a fee. Then on the way home they charged me for the exact same bag that had the exact same things in it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by S LaVita    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew from New Orleans to Dallas on April 4-8, 2014 and were pleased with their service! We read all the rules carefully and packed accordingly. No problem with our 1 checked bag a piece. We printed our boarding passes and prepaid our luggage both ways. The ticket agent in New Orleans even offered for us to choose our seats (free of charge) because the flight was not full. Pleasant flight attendants and they did not overly push their credit card. The return flight from Dallas was just as good and the cabin crew even better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Sheila Anderson    (USA)

Standard

Looks like cheaper airfare, but is not! Don't be fooled. Tons of add on expenses include: Baggage, seats, fare club membership, government's cut, security fee, passenger facility fee, segment fee and federal excise tax. I accidentally paid for 4 bags to check online, and only needed to check 2.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by J Surratt    (USA)

Big

I recently flew Spirit airlines for the first time. After reading all the reviews posted, I was nervous and somewhat sceptical about this airline. However, both to and from Orlando, I couldn't have asked for anything better! From the time I checked at Houston, the staff was fantastic, to the flight staff, to the members in Orlando, I was very happy with the service that I received. I would definitely recommend Spirit to others and will be using this airline again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D VerMerris    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I recently flew round trip from Chicago to Orlando. I was somewhat leery of flying Spirit after reading the many reviews. However, my anxieties were alleviated after this trip. Why? Simple, I did my homework. I read, reread, and researched Spirit's baggage policies and followed them to the letter. We experienced no problems at all from check-in to deplaning on both legs of our trip. If you plan on taking advantage of Spirit's low rates, great. Enjoy the extra cash in your pocket. However, if you can't fit their guidelines for baggage weight and size limits, then plan on paying additional. By the way, my wife and I did have to pay additional money for three checked baggage, but the final cost was still over $500 cheaper than the other airlines that I was considering before booking my flights on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by R Campbell    (USA)

Standard

The other day was the first time my wife and I have flown Spirit and it will be the last. Their bait and switch marketing is offensive. Save $100 on the ticket, only to see it go right back to the company via seat charges (assuming spouses want to sit together), a baggage fee of $30/bag and a weight of 40 lbs (not the standard 50 lbs for most carriers), a personal items list that for many likely results in a "carry-on" bag fee, the constant notice that you better get all of our a la carte pricing right or we will soak you $100/bag at the gate or charge you for not handling all ticketing and check-in online. There were charges for everything on the drink cart except tap water - which wasn't offered. I was waiting for them to announce a bathroom use fee. At the end of it all, we arrived early only to sit on the runway for 50 minutes more making us overall 30 minutes late. The baggage claim carrousel was changed with no announcement. The airlines touts that it is all about saving people money and statements that is completely up front with their policies is garbage! I've been in business for over 50 years and have flown a lot of miles. We will obviously never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Mai Xiong    (USA)

It wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be or it was, as a matter of fact, it feels the same as every other plane. I traveled with 4 children and my spouse, and were seated together to and from MN MPLS to LAX CA. We booked our check bag online and kept the luggage under 40lbs so it only cost $21, since I joined the $9 club. We saved over $350 for our entire trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by P Courtemanche    (Canada)

Standard

Don't expect a 5 star experience for a 1 star price! Read everything and prepare your baggage beforehand. We saved lots of money flying with spirit! Our expectations were low due to all the terrible reviews, but everything went fine! We didn't buy anything on the plane, nor extra baggage. Seat were okay, but I would consider larger seats as I am a tall person and leg room was a bit tight. Staff was pleasant at Plattsburg airport, a bit less at Fort Lauderdale but still reasonable. No entertainment was offered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by S Mathupala    (USA)

Standard

I first flew Spirit in November 2013 on a return trip to and from Cancun, Mexico. Booked on Spirit after coming across the cheap prices on Kayak. I went to the airport ready to do battle but, much to my surprise, I was quickly processed through, there were no surprise extra costs, and the flights were in fact uneventful. I again flew last week to and from San Diego, and the experience was the same. Yes, I wish they had better seats with more leg room, and perhaps provide some sustenance during the flight, but I guess one has to prepare for lack of such amenities when flying budget. Would I fly with them again? Yes, I would. During the four flights I had with Spirit, I saw the ground/airport crew work overtime to make sure that we did not miss the connecting flights when there were delays, sometimes personally escorting/directing the passengers through the maze of airport hubs, and the on-air crews were always pleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by J Feistel    (USA)

Standard

Hidden fees all over, terrible customer service, rude staff in every department! Every bag you have is extra money checked bags carry on bags and they tell you none of this until after you have bought your ticket. It even costs money to print your boarding pass at the airport. Your carry on can weigh 50 lbs which costs you different amounts based on when and where you tell them you have a carry on. Then if you check a bag it costs you another 50 bucks if it weighs over 40lbs! I have flown plenty, this is by far the worst experience I have had with an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by Tom Chung    (USA)

Because their rate was much lower than all other carriers, I decided to try Spirit for my recent Chicago to Las Vegas round trip. I found the planes to be reasonably modern and the service to be fine, but what really bugged me was that they charged for everything! Seats, checked bag, carry on luggage (if you do not pay at time of booking it jumps to $100 per piece at the gate) beverages (including water and coffee!) and snacks. I understand that it is a low-fare and no frills airline, but, really, must you need to charge for everything? This cannot be a long term business model. You don't feel that you got the value for your money. I am a frequent business flyer who logs between 40-50 thousand miles per year. I have a few favorites, but I am always on the look out for options. Needless to say, Spirit has been erased from my list. I don't have much spirit for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by T Lewis    (USA)

Standard

Flight from LaGuardia to MCO (Orlando) with a connecting flight in Detroit - absolutely mortified with the check in service at LaGuardia. My 17 year old son brought his skateboard on the flight as it is permitted with the TSA guidelines. When we got to check in, the man at the desk said Spirit has different policies but he would allow it if we pay extra $50 to bring the skateboard on the plane. He said he would call the gate to let them know. When we got to the gate, the people almost didn't allow us - the guy at check in didn't call. When we got into the plane my son had his board and the people on board said oh yeah that's fine! When we got to Detroit, we looked at the receipt to explain to the next flight attendants and we were shocked when we saw $110 on the receipt. The man at check in deliberately lied to us. Spirit flight was fine, no TVs but that's fine. Absolutely outraged by the check in service at LaGuardia.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Andrew Fioramonti    (USA)

Standard

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 my husband and I endured the worst experience we have dealt with regarding any airline. From the moment we got into the line to proceed to the service counter where we engaged with the rudest of service reps, to the poor representation or should I say lack of representation when I called to check on a charge for our carry-on luggage and additional charge for so called extra poundage on our check-in bag. The bag (they said) was 7 lbs. over when on a previous flight with JetBlue it was 4 lbs. under. How does that work? Never, fly again with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by David Sanford    (USA)

Standard

Had to find quick non-stop flight from Dallas to Orlando. Spirit fit the time frame and would have me there by 7.08pm. When we arrived at DFW flight was on time. Then at 1.30 the flight board showed a 90 minute delay. By 2.30 it was a 3 hour delay. Instead of leaving at 3.39pm it was now a 6.45pm departure. First time my wife and flew Spirit and was surprised at all of the added fees. Time was of the essence so we gave it a shot due to having 'lower' rates. Total cost would have been comparable to other rates from airlines with a better on time average which I learned while sitting waiting for my very delayed flight. I will always take a few minutes and always check an airline out online if I am not familiar with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Mary Flaherty    (USA)

The worst airline I have flown! Filthy, seats too small. Seats don't recline, jammed 3 in a row and you had to keep your body still or you hit the person either side. Stewardesses? Looked bored and put out when asked a question. Hit with baggage fees on check-in, pay to sit next to the person you traveled with! Will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Stanka Disheva    (USA)

Standard

The worst flight experience my husband and I have had! It cost more for our 2 carry-ons than the cost of our tickets. The flight attendant who checked the boarding passes was terribly rude and unprofessional, the service on the plane was outrages. Nothing is free, even the water. Narrow seats, dehydration, one restroom out of order. We flew from O'Hare to San Diego on March 28 2014. At the gate I went first pulling my carry on, at the plane entrance I noticed my husband was not behind me. I went back to check and saw my husband being charged for his carry on. At that time, the attendant started yelling 'They have two, they have two' so the attendant charged my husband another $100 for my carry on! There was no explanation, no kindness. It wasn't my fault that the flight attendant let me go at first and then, when I came back she treated me like prey she has missed! I will never ever fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Sandra Lavigne    (Canada)

Big

People who complain about the fees and whatnot must not read before booking their flights. The site is very clear about the various fees all the way through the booking process. With the membership we saved a ton of money on our flight, even with baggage fees and the extra fees to reserve big front seats, it was still cheaper than flying a major airline, even if we cashed in airmiles. As far as customer service goes, we had no issues. Staff at Niagara airport were fine, we had no issues and because it's such a small airport we got through check-in and security in record time. The flight itself was fine. There was a technical issue with the gate, but even after having to switch gates we still departed on time. Big front seats are worth the extra money for sure. On the way home we had very friendly staff at Ft Lauderdale airport. There was an issue with the cleanliness of the plane on our return trip. Our seats weren't spotless but not gross, but it seems that the cleaning crew didn't notice that someone had been sick in the row across from us. A passenger unfortunately put her hand in it while getting to her seat and had to go back out to the terminal to wash it off. The flight attendant was very sincere and concerned, apologized to them and everyone in the area, got the cleaning crew back in asap to take care of it, sprayed some air freshener, apologized again and again, and had the passengers from that row seated in another row for the flight since there were some empty seats. It was unfortunate but the attendant handled it perfectly and we still left on time. The rest of the flight there were no issues. Even with major airlines I've almost always found garbage in the seat pocket that got missed, it happens. Overall I would fly Spirit again, but maybe not for a long flight. I recommend it if you want to save some money and don't care about inflight meals and movies (you can purchase snacks and drinks, this is pretty typical of most airlines now anyway, not many provide a free meal or snack these days). If you're a tall or heavy person definitely pay the extra for the big front seats. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. This is a discount airline, so go in with low expectations and you'll be fine.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Ponugoti    (USA)

Standard

One of the worst staff ever experienced. Onboard staff was so rude and don't help. They did not let us use the bathrooms when seat belt sign was turned off and bathroom was empty but staff was using it. Our child was coughing and needed a glass of water, first they asked me to pay $3 before giving him water. They charge for everything, bag, seat, water, food. Its looks cheap when we search for the deals but there are hidden prices which makes it expensive in the end. I will never go back and would not recommend them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Lauer    (USA)

Standard

Booked flight through Travelocity and had questions about seat selection, check-in, etc. Checked Spirit's site and needed assistance, called twice, girl who answered first call was annoyed with my questions and young man who answered second call was very helpful and courteous. Flew PHL to Vegas-delayed both ways but figure that can happen with any airline-however comfort was affected by broken seat backs and garbage in seat pockets (liquor bottle in one, water bottle and wad of papers with gum stuck to both) taking up leg room. Also had to brush peanut skins and crumbs from my seat to join the pile on the floor before sitting down. Never mind that beverages were not complimentary, they were served but once at the beginning of a 5.5 hour flight. I am truly glad that I finally did make sense of the site and the charges before flying, and knew to print boarding passes and pay for seat assignments and avoid the ridiculously high fees charged at the airport for luggage. I am satisfied only with the fact that we reached our destination safely.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Edward Collins    (USA)

I had to fly last minute from SFO (San Francisco) to LAS (Las Vegas) one way and Spirit offered the lowest price out of any airline in the SF Bay Area, the trek to (OAK) Oakland Airport was a little further than I normally travel to get to an airport but the deal was too good to pass up. The flight was not full, although I checked in the day before, I was given a seat upgrade to a window seat near the front. The cabin crew was friendly and made the early morning flight easier with humor. Flight duration was exactly as advertised and actually landed a few minutes early and it was a pleasant flight in a brand new airplane. The one thing I did not like were the seats, far too close together, and much too thin. I'm only 5'6" and felt too big for the seats, if it had been a longer flight I would have been very uncomfortable for the for 1 hour and 20 minutes I was in the seat it was bearable, barely. A word of warning: Spirit charges fees for absolutely everything, you want to pick your seat? Fee please, want carry-on luggage? Fee please, You want to check baggage? Fee please, You want a snack on board? Fee please. Credit /debit only, we don't recognize $USD as real currency. However, if you know what you need for a flight, this can be a good deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by L Barrett    (USA)

Standard

I'm 5'11", and Spirit's seats may not be super comfortable, but at least there is the saving grace that seats do not recline. There's nothing worse than barely fitting your legs in the first place only to have the person in front of you lean their seat back! I've flown Spirit twice so far, round trip flights from Minneapolis to Chicago. The flight is only a little over an hour long, and for $35, I guess I can put up with a bit of discomfort for an hour. What really gets me, however, is not the size of the seat (to be honest, even higher-priced airline seats are hardly comfortable) but the deplorable customer service at check-in. I checked a bag on my latest return flight from Chicago, but had already checked in online. The system / boarding pass said that I could quick-check the bag - so I went to the airport not expecting to wait in line. After printing out my boarding pass at the kiosk, I stood for a while in the quick-check line section. When free, one of the four or five reps at the counter asked if she could help me, and I told her I just wanted to drop my bag, use the quick-check. She told me, "Oh, we don't have that this morning, you'll have to wait in line" (instead of just taking the bag, which would have taken the same amount of time). So, I went back to stand in line for about 20 minutes. When I finally get back to the counter, a different rep tells me, "You should really hurry, this flight is about to board." After getting through O'Hare's tediously slow security lines, I finally did manage to catch the flight - feeling frustrated and impatient about the whole experience. Next time, I will fly on a different airline. Even though cheap fares are tempting, I have a sneaking feeling that they're not worth the savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by A O'Neill    (USA)

Standard

My family traveled to Ft Lauderdale in February. The trip down was fine. The trip back very upsetting primarily due to extremely rude employees. We switched seats online prior to our return flight to the row behind the exit. It was clear we were traveling with an infant and car seat. We were seated at the beginning of the flight in the row behind the exit. We sat there with the employees passing by us for over 2.5 hours. In the last 30-45 minutes an attendant came up and said 'we have a problem' and she ordered us to move because we apparently couldn't be seated with a car seat behind the exit row. We questioned this order because there was only 30-45 minutes left on the flight. So we moved without any help. We accept the baggage limitations and paid for our suitcases. We accept it's a discount airline. We do not accept despicable treatment of paying customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Arana    (USA)

Standard

Spirit airlines has been my worst experience flying. First of all who charges for carry on and still puts the most outrageous policies on check ins. The worst part is they don't bother to tell you when you are buying your ticket that way you don't know and you are forced to pay for it when you get there. Then they charge for boarding passes and for not having a random seat. The staff and their rude attitudes did not make it any better. Being a college student and thinking you got a deal with this flight only to realize that they charge you for everything else. I didn't know what to expect after that. I will never fly this airline again. I'd rather pay for an expensive flight that doesn't nickel and some you at every corner.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J P McGlade    (USA)

Standard

Poor service, poor communication, poor quality. You couldn't even make up how bad they are. Oversold flight. We had a 6 hour delay that was identified 30 minutes prior to our departure, as a result, we missed our connecting flight. Missed two days of work. Only offered a 50 dollar voucher for all the inconvenience. Not even their 800 number is user friendly. Keep your voucher, I don't plan on traveling with Spirit again. Was told at the airport the plane had broken down in Boston, the pilot had a different story. Spent $1,000 for two tickets, what a deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by C Pierce    (USA)

Standard

I flew 3-19-14 and 3-26-14 from ATL to DFW and return. I was prepared for the worst, however was pleasantly surprised. I had only one carry on backpack. I checked the size requirements and had to bring one of my smallest backpacks to fit their requirements, but I had no problems. I brought my own snacks. I had one checked bag under weight limits, so no problem there. I did pay $60 RT for it. I am 5'10" and didn't have a problem. I didn't care about seat arrangements, so I let them seat me. I got an aisle and window seat. The crew were very pleasant, the plane was clean and looked new. Flights left and returned all on time. I paid under $200 for everything and made my reservations one week in advance! I printed my boarding pass in advance when leaving and upon returning. I had no extra or hidden charges as I had prepared myself. I highly recommend them, just decide if their specifications can fit your comfort level.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by T Watson    (USA)

Standard

It cost more for our luggage to fly than it did for my wife and I. Tried to check-in online, the Spirit system would not let me in, so if I wanted to pay for my bags online it was not possible. Spirit airlines has no idea what customer service means. Fees are fees and I pay them on all the airlines, but every other airline I do business with lets me know what the fees are when I'm making reservations, so I know my complete budget ahead of time. My wife's carryon fit in their little gage hole, but they said it was 2mm to high with the handle. I will pay higher rates to avoid ever having to be subjected to that again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Mulholland    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. I was forced to give at least one star, otherwise I would have given zero for seat comfort and inflight entertainment (there is none). I am not a tall person and I have never had my knees so scrunched up on any other airline. Also, if you do decide to fly on the cheap with Spirit (not advisable in my opinion), wait to check in and you will get a better seat' if you check in 23 hours in advance, they'll give you the poorest seat unless you pay for it, but if you wait they will be forced to give you one of the "premium" seats for free.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax