Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by D Potter    (USA)

Standard

If Spirit Airlines were the last remaining airline on the planet, I would not fly them. After booking a flight on Kayak.com that appeared to show a very good fare, I arrived at the airport and discovered Spirit was going to gouge my travelling companion and me for $90 each way simply for checking or carrying on a bag - something that was never disclosed prior to reaching the airport. The plane was late, cramped and customer service was awful - the only informative thing the flight attendant had to say was "don't worry, the seats don't recline". This dreadful airline is the worst flying experience I've ever had and from the conversations other passengers on the flights had, it doesn't appear anyone will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Trisha Piccone    (USA)

Big

Going out of Atlantic City no real problems except additional baggage charges. Return trip from Ft. Lauderdale Florida a complete nightmare. The lines, the extra charges, the service rude, and uncalled for! Change your ways, it is really unfair.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by D Schmidt    (USA)

Standard

We flew to Costa Rica and it was terrible there and back. Both flights late, boarding a mess. People in the lines were not aware of bag charges, so that caused delays at check in. You can't even get a cup of water on board without paying for it either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by M Shoemaker    (USA)

Let me start by saying I fly a lot and have had my share of frustrating travel situations but never in my life have I seen anything as maddening as the Spirit Airlines "fast bag drop" at FLL. Hours in line just to drop off your bag. Another 30-45 mins in security before they finally call your destination along with 2-3 others to come to a designated line for flights that are about to depart. Still, I saw many people running through the airport, others who missed their flights and still others who were just very frustrated with the whole process. There is no amount of money that I could have saved to make this experience worth it (and I am frugal). Save yourself a lot of frustration and possibly a missed flight with heaps of other associated fees and fly another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by A Lightbody    (USA)

Standard

DTW to RSW, 12/24, #605. RSW to DTW, 678. We will never fly Spirit again. Cramped seats going to Florida and so far, 1.5 hr delay in clear weather. All other carriers can get me to my destination on time, but I have to buy a new ticket. Spirit has no relationships since they are a local low class carrier.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Kenneth Francis    (USA)

Standard

They purport to have low fares and then charge you extra for everything possible, including carry on bags. Then they scale up the charge if you pay at the ticketing desk versus online and again if you pay at the gate! They wouldn't give the girl next to me on the flight a simple glass of water and even asked "are you taking medications?" When she replied "no" the attendant responded "we sell water for $2 a bottle." You also pay for seating preferences and the seats don't even recline. I will never fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by K Crist    (USA)

Standard

They tout themselves as the airline with the lowest fare, however they price gouge you every time you turn around. The prices for carry-on bags and checked bags are outrageous! Spirit also has a 40 lbs. limit on checked bags whereas all other airlines have a 50 lbs limit. You are packed in the plane like sardines. There is zero leg room, the seats do not recline and the tray tables rest on your knees. Not surprising there is no in-flight entertainment. The agent in Denver was extremely nice however the rest of the Spirit employees throughout our travels would only refer me to spirit.com” to comment. I have flown with numerous airlines globally and this was without a doubt the worst experience. I will not fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Mary Flowers    (USA)

Standard

They charge for everything, you pay for seat assignment, carry on baggage. Flight attendants are rude. You pay to print boarding passes at kiosks at airport. Customer service is extremely rude. They hand out a voucher for 2500 free skymiles, for filling out their credit card app. When you redeem the voucher online to get the miles, the voucher is expired. Not an innocent mistake, mine and my husbands were both expired. Fares seem low, but by the time you pay the extra fees, and deal with their attitudes, its just not worth it. I will never ever fly with them again. The credit card app trick was the final straw.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Mike Wasdin    (USA)

Standard

First and last time using Spirit airlines. Beware, there are a lot of hidden fees in the prices that you will be quoted and you will be charged for every little thing. Had I looked at the reviews ahead of time I never would have booked with Spirit. Both my departure and my return flight were delayed and it ended up costing me more, not less with all the added fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Randal Coots    (USA)

Standard

My girlfriend and I flew from Oakland CA to LGA NY leaving Dec 21st returning Dec 28th. We were surprised at the check in counter and required to pay $200.00 for our checked and carryon bags. We were told that we could have saved money by paying for the bags when we bought the tickets on their web site, unfortunately we purchased the tickets on an affiliate page, and never saw the information about the bag charges. I have never in all my travels had to pay for a carry on bag before. We wound up having to give our carry on bags to family in NY, and bring back one over-stuffed bag which we checked in on the way back to avoid the huge charges for our bags. The seats are incredibly uncomfortable, no leg room, you simply can't get comfortable no matter how you sit. And they charge for soft drinks/coffee, even water, and they don't accept cash, you can only use your credit/debit card. I will never fly this airline again, and I will tell everyone I know not to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by K Sendall    (USA)

Standard

This airline is fine, assuming you do a bit of research before you book. It is important not to book with Spirit from a 3rd party site, or you will end up paying a lot of extra fees at the airport. Even with the added cost of checking bags and choosing a seat online ahead of time, my flight was still cheaper than any other airline. The one major downfall of the airline is their lack of legroom. I am a very tall woman (6'0") and have long legs (35 inch inseam), and I absolutely did not fit into the seats. I would have needed an extra ~2 inches of legroom to sit comfortably in my seat. However, everyone else in seats near me (including men as tall as me but with shorter legs) fit into their seats more comfortably. I paid for an upgraded "big seat" on my return flight, which was extremely comfortable and spacious, and even with the upgrade, I paid less than I would have on another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by R Kitson    (USA)

Big

I was set to travel on 18th December Houston to Orlando. I checked in for the flight the day before, paid for my 1 checked and 1 carryon bag online through their website (like all airlines). I arrived in the Bag Drop line 90 minutes before departure (their website says 60 for the airport). When I got in line for their bag drop. This was the only thing that was left required for my flight. There were only 3 Spirit staff working the whole airport (1 Gate agent, 1 Ticket and 1 Bag Drop agents). In 60 minutes she took 15 customers. When it was my turn, I showed her the boarding pass on my smart phone. I was scolded since I didn't have boarding pass printed out. I told her to charge me the $10 per printed boarding pass that the sign in front of the desk showed. She than informed me that I wasn't checked in. I told that the only way an airline provides a boarding pass online or in person is as confirmation of check-in. The Bag Agent left the post with all of us still in line. The ticket agent who was more senior informed me that I was checked in and the other agent was wrong. Since there were no flights until the 27th that had confirmed seats, I was forced to drive. She gave me credit for flight but I told her I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Lisa Wharton    (USA)

Standard

Left for Tampa on time, plane was not clean but OK, our flight home was delayed from 7pm several times until 12.30am, when we asked why we were told weather. When we got on the plane we were told mechanical. We were told we would get a 50$ voucher for our troubles. Don't really think we will use it anyway. The flight to Tampa was crowded because the seats were small. I really felt as though the airline and the crew felt they could treat us anyway they wanted because if we voiced a concern, well they could send us packing! Granted the flights are inexpensive but where is the pride in your work? Not at Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by B Larson    (USA)

Standard

MSP to Las Vegas, Dec 26-31, Flight 175. Do not use Spirit Airlines to save a few $$. You will get bumped, then bumped, then bumped, then cancelled with no warning and only a credit towards a future flight. My daughter's flight to Las Vegas has been a day long affair of promises and horrible customer service. Only now did we learn her 2pm flight we booked months ago has been cancelled. They did however offer to re-book her on a flight Dec. 31st which would depart after she was originally scheduled to come home from the very city she was supposed to go to in the first place today. I gave up and booked her on Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by R Dadras    (USA)

Standard

We (family of 4) decided to take a trip to Las Vegas almost last min. We did our homework and put our expectations very low. Dec 23 2013, IAH-LAS. Had one checked bag booked online prior to trip for return flights, each way cost 30 USD. Made sure it is no more than 40 lbs. Checked in online within 24 hrs of flight, printed boarding passes. No seat booked in advance. Checked the flight delays through the Airport web page - No delays indicated as we left the house. Got to airport 1hr 40m before the flight. Plane took off at 10.22 pm with only 2 min delay. Everything went smoothly during the flight and no surprises. Dec 26 2013, LAS-IAH. When I checked-in online the morning of the flight, I noticed the delay alert on the web page - (40 min). When we checked in at airport for infant again, we got different seats (2 in one row and 1 in another row), later on I managed to fix it in plane by swapping with one passenger. Flight took off with 1hr delay (original flight 4.40pm) but we knew from the morning so even we got to airport 1hr later to compensate that. Everything went smoothly during the flight and no surprises - seats have definitely less room than other airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by A McDowell    (USA)

Standard

Flight 395 from Philadelphia to Las Vegas on 28th December. The worst airline I've ever had the misfortune to fly with. When I got there, I was under the impression that I would be allowed 2 personal items like all other airlines, but I soon found out that wasn't the case after they told me I would have to pay $50 for my small duffle bag to be checked. One lady did try to help me stuff everything into one bag but that didn't work so I threw away my back pack for nothing. The weight limit for your bag is only 40lbs, and not the usual 50lbs as in other airlines. The workers at the check in (besides the one lady who actually tried to help me) were unfriendly and unaccommodating. When I got on the plane, the seats felt like they were not only straight up and down without any built in recline at all, but they felt like they were at an acute angle. The seats themselves were squished together and there was virtually no leg room because of the proximity of the row in front. I thought that my one happy moment on the flight would be the $3 cup noodles that I bought, but they even messed those up. Complimentary drinks? Also $3/can. I'm surprised they didn't charge you to go to the bathroom! I have had the worst experience ever with Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by A Corley    (USA)

Standard

Flew on October 28 to Fort Lauderdale and will fly again in March to San Juan. The flights are affordable and provide cheap, adequate transportation. I travel light so I like the affordability. I'll skip the coke and peanuts and pack my own lunch to slash a fare. When I book flights I make sure I view the fees and bag weight/size requirements which are listed on every airline webpage-and believe me, it isn't hard to find. As long as there is an affordable option, I'll use it, until I can afford something better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Ilya Refes    (USA)

Standard

BWI-MDE-BWI in November 2013. Quick trip. Used miles that a friend gave me. In all honesty, while Spirit is not the greatest, they provide what they say they provide: an absolutely zero-frills, basic means of getting from A to B. The planes are newish A320s with no entertainment whatsoever. No food is served for free. Bags are $30 if paid in advance, $40 for carry-ons (I have a small bag I put under the seat exactly for this reason). Terminal H at FLL absolutely dreadful. I did not have any issues; however, I have researched fares and found that if you plan in advance mainline carriers are almost the same as Spirit, and do not nickel and dime you. Spirit is best suited for the domestic traveler with no bags at all, who is willing to read all their terms and conditions, print boarding passes, bring an Ipod or a book for entertainment, and just generally not expect anything more than a flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Valencia Bolden-Martin    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit Airlines for the 1st time on December 23rd from DFW to ATL. It was the worse flight I've experienced. There was a crying child on board who could not be consoled. Not once did an attendant check with the family to see if everything was okay or if they needed any assistance. I would have thought the flight attendants would have tried something if for no other reason but to appease the other customers that were forced to ensure the flight from hell. The service in general was mediocre at best. I exited the plane wondering if it was really worth traveling less expensively. On the return flight, several of the items on the menu were not available for purchase! Very disappointed customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by D Bonner    (USA)

Never again will we use Spirit Airlines: from the very beginning of trying to print a boarding pass, joining the baggage club to save on your baggage cost, check-in and paying $90.00 for two small bags, paying for seats to make sure that our granddaughter could sit by her mother, narrow aisles, and the tiny uncomfortable seats lacking leg room. This flight wasn't that cheap, I could have added another $20 dollars for another airline carrier and paid $25 per check-in bag plus carried on two pieces. This flight ended up costing me just as much as another flight and was very uncomfortable. What a rip-off? I actually saw some people paying $100 for their baggage at check- in, everyone was shocked. The landing was the best thing about the flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by J Spagnola    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline I have ever been on. Aside from the ridiculous fee's they charge, the seats were small and my knees would hit the seat in front of me no matter how I positioned myself. I am only 6 ft, 180 pounds, not a large person at all. The plane was late both ways (about 40 minutes) and there were no weather delays either way. I had no gate code on my boarding pass and there was not even any information on the TV screens at the Spirit gate to let people know where the flight was heading. There was no inflight entertainment and it was 3 dollars for a water and an additional 2 dollars for the smallest snack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Dina Gonzalez    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale, the flight was supposed to leave at 10.30pm, they delayed the flight an hour prior to leaving because they did not have enough crew - poor planing on their part. They changed the flight to leave at 5.00 am, I had to wait in the airport until 5.00 am and then they delayed the flight an additional 1.5 hrs more. For all this delay they offered me a $7.00 food coupon. Would not fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by A Shelly    (USA)

Standard

As a frequent flyer for business, I chose Spirit Airlines to travel for the holidays to see family due to lower rates. This is the worst airline I have ever flown: 1) the agent at the check-in desk was highly unprofessional yelling "The Flight is Delayed!" when the departing flight from MSP to Las Vegas was delayed 8 minutes, extremely unnecessary. 2)Departing flight was overbooked, and volunteers were asked to buy an additional ticket with another airline. 3)The airline seat back pockets are hanging and barely attached. 4) The departing flight from LAX to MSP is delayed 6 hours without any previous notification sent to passengers. All passengers waking up and arriving at the airport to catch an 8.15am flight now have to wait nearly 8 hours for the next flight. Had a previous notification been sent to passengers already checked-in, as I was, this would have enabled passengers to re- arrange schedules in advance to avoid sitting in an airport terminal for 8 Hours. This is the absolute worst airline I have ever flown with, and will never fly with Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Bob Fellor    (USA)

Standard

This morning, we were scheduled to fly from LAX to MSP, at 8.15am, flight was delayed almost 8 hours due to Mechanical issues, (we were issued a mere $7 voucher for food due to the flight delay which got me a drink). Flight was then rescheduled for 3.04pm, we were ready to board the plane and they cancelled the flight on us, their reason was that "the flight attendant have been up for too many hours and could not fly". Don't get me started on their stupid fee's, they charge for my carry-on. After all the extra fee's the flight was more expensive the their competitor's Sun Country and Northwest.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Robert Socci    (Canada)

Standard

I have found that if you read the information that is given to you by Spirit online you will have no surprises and will get a fantastic ticket price. My wife and I are from Toronto, Canada. We fly to Fort Lauderdale as often as we can. When you are paying less than $150.00 return what do you expect? Other then the seats that are not the most comfortable around which is true. Our last trip was Dec. 17, 2013 to Ft. Lauderdale.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by K Kimbrough    (USA)

Standard

We booked our flight on December 13 for travel on December 20 and found that Spirit was the absolute cheapest way for us to go. Our total out of pocket for two round trip tickets from Dallas to Atlanta (even with all of the fees and extras) was only $699. The next cheapest fare we could find was almost $1,200. Our flights were on time, the planes were clean, and the employees were helpful and pleasant. Just know all of the rules before you go and follow them. We had no surprises and will fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by M Bruce    (USA)

Standard

Worst flight I have taken. They charged for checked baggage and carry on. The seats are the most uncomfortable imaginable. United seats are cushioned - Spirit seats are hard. This is very important when you are sitting in a seat for hours on end. Sitting in my window seat I could not reach the air vents or light buttons while sitting down, and I am not a short person. I would have to unbuckle my seat belt, stand up and disturb the person sitting next to me just to adjust the vent or turn on or off the light. There is so little room between the seats (that do not recline because there is no room for them to recline) that you can't even reach down to retrieve what you have put under the seat in front of you (again without disturbing the person next to you). There is no built in head rest like there is in United. I finally remembered to bring my own head sets with me and there was no inflight entertainment, not even a Sky Mall magazine. This is one airline that doesn't give a rats ass about its customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Chad Stanko    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Chicago to Minneapolis in the morning and had a 2 hour delay, had a return flight that same day with a 3 hour delay with no notice until 20 mins before boarding on both ends.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by John Sturm    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I flew from Houston to Las Vegas, the flight was fine and the personnel very friendly, the only thing we disliked was the way they portrayed their low fares (very deceiving) after all the additional fees the trip was not worth the added cost. I would not fly again on this airline when other airlines offer much more value for your money. I should have listened to the comments I read before I booked this company.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Kerry Schoder    (USA)

Standard

I spent Christmas evening at the airport with a "delayed" flight that turned into a cancellation. I feel bad for their staff behind the counter taking the abuse of angry customers. I should have heeded the reviews and even a family members suggestion not to use them, the flight price was too hard to pass up, and then it went from cheap, to nickle and dime you to death, then to a cancelled flight. Never will I fly with them again. They did put me up in a motel and got me on a flight the next day.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 December 2013 by B Leighton    (USA)

Standard

I haven't flown Spirit in a long time, and now I remember why. To sum it up, you get nothing but a crammed flight, charged for everything conceivable and over charged for others in-fact. We pre paid for our bags, yet they charged me again for it at the terminal. Their "new" planes, while they may be clean (for now) are designed to be nothing more then cattle herders, they cram so many people in the new super small seats that it is unbelievable, and they removed the ability to recline the chairs to make for this extra tight setting - it is just a horrible experience flying on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 December 2013 by C O'Rear    (USA)

Standard

Ten pounds lighter on luggage than other airlines, not even a bag of peanuts given to you. To top it off, as we were waiting to leave LaGuardia airport, a 14 year old boy was flying unaccompanied, had all the paperwork even their unaccompanied minor pass and the staff member at the ticket booth said he couldn't board. She even went so far as to make an announcement that if you missed the flight to St. Launderdale, there would not be another until December 29.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Dawn Lowry    (USA)

Standard

They claim to be the least expensive with discount rates, but in the end they wind up being more expensive because they charge for everything. I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Denver yesterday and to check your luggage it costs $45 and to carry on a bag it is $50. If you happen to have to have to check your bag at the gate then its $100! They charge you for everything in flight. They had no menus in the 6 seatbacks I checked but every single seatback seemed to have their credit card offer. While we waited for the flight there were about 5 gate changes over the speaker and then low and behold we had a gate change also because our plane showed up and needed new brakes. I honestly did not see one satisfied person waiting in the Spirit terminal yesterday. Onboard we saw the flight attendant once on our 4 hour flight. The seatbelt light was on when there wasn't turbulence and was off when it was bumpy. They never checked to see if electronics were on or off and if we had seatbelts on or off for takeoff / landing. It was one of the most frustrating and unprofessional flights I have ever been on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by M Long    (USA)

Standard

I flew Minneapolis to Vegas on December 19th. We left on time, arrived on time, the plane was clean and we had a very entertaining flight attendant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by I Gindina    (USA)

I would not recommend Spirit based on the following reasons: We choose Spirit airline because of low fare. This is an illusion. When you add price for carry-on and seats selection total ticket price it becomes higher than other airlines. Other airlines have more convenient flight schedules. Very bad customer service. We were waiting about an hour to check in the bag - there were not enough agents. Seats very uncomfortable, not enough space for legs. No drinks or snack were offered during the flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by G Dahlen    (USA)

Standard

My son, brother, nephew and myself were heading to Vegas for a quick trip before Christmas. When we tried to check in at Spirit in Minneapolis we are told our flight to Chicago was delayed and we could not make our connecting flight, she then preceded to tell us that they had no available seats in Chicago for the next 2 days so she was canceling our tickets. They made no attempts to help us get tickets on any other airline and were not concerned about our money we were going to lose on guaranteed room reservations. When she was refunding our tickets she asked if we would like our return flight refunded also I couldn't help but laugh at her. This was going to be our first flight on Spirit and I can guarantee never again will I consider this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 December 2013 by P Aaron    (USA)

Standard

In short: I had to fly from LA to Miami for a business cruise. On the way there they didn't charge me for a carry-on bag I had, yet on the return flight they tried to charge me $100. Tried to explain to them that I wasn't charged for it on the way there, to which they replied "Oh, well they were supposed to charge you. Anyway, we have to charge you for the bag." That, combined with the fact that they tried charging for the print-out ticket at the terminal and for various foods/drinks that all other airlines don't charge for (i.e. water, pretzels, etc.) and for the seats being too close together - awful.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards