Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by R Szostak    (USA)

I guess you get what you pay for but this is one of the worst airlines I've ever flown. This summer we flew Spirit Airlines from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach. We get to the airport 2 hours early like they recommend but really there was no rush because the flight was 2 hours late. One of the airport workers at Philadelphia said she wasn't surprised Spirit is always late. So finally after 2 hours of waiting the plane gets to Philadelphia and after unloading passengers we board. The seats were tiny, vinyl, narrow, non-reclining, and claustrophobia inducing. They were dirty along with the seat tray in front of me. Anything extra like drinks cost $3 which is a complete rip-off. I'm surprised they didn't charge you to go to the bathroom too I mean they charge you for every other ridiculous thing. I would never fly with this "airline company" again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by R Morales    (USA)

Standard

I just booked my third round-trip flight from San Diego to Portland, Oregon. Rt 89.00. I don't take any luggage and go with standard seating. The flight is direct 2.5 hrs. All personnel were very attentive. Three day trip to see my new granddaughter. No entertainment but I bring my tablet.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by M Cabby    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit during the holidays from Chicago to Phoenix. I can appreciate that delays happen especially given the holidays and the winter weather. However how they handled it was horrible. We boarded on time and were asked to immediately turn off our phones, half an hour goes by and we are told that we are waiting on the pilot. Another 20 mins and still waiting and now we need to de-ice the plane. An hour has gone by and still waiting for pilot. Another half hour, pilot has arrived but now one of the de-ice trucks has broken down. If anyone even looked at our phones to suggest we might turn it on, staff would immediately scold us to turn it off. Not one drink was offered for that 2 hour delay. Once we did get in the air they did start cabin service but no complimentary water. To top it all off, they did not update their website on our delay and since they would never let us use our phones our loved ones had to wait in confusion at the airport. They are not less expensive. They are charging you for everything so you really are spending the same amount of money as a normal airline as opposed to this "low fare" company. It is not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by L Atwood    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for! A seat. Not a leather seat, a tiny, vinyl, narrow, non-reclining, claustrophobia inducing square foot of space. Nothing else. No music, movie, drinks, snacks or food at all, unless you want to pay $3 for a can of soda and a cup of ice. The plane departed on time if not early and landed early both to and from Logan (Boston) to Myrtle Beach. I have flown a lot and the landings on both of my flights with Spirit were the best I've experienced, remarkable in icy rain conditions returning to Boston late Thursday night. Flight attendants were excellent. Loaded back passengers first, middle and then front, from Logan which made for smooth and easy process. Attendants were very attentive to passengers with special needs and children. I would recommend Spirit for what it is, no frills, low fare flying at its best. Bags were at baggage claim incredibly quickly both times!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Joel Kilichowski    (USA)

Standard

MSP-RSW. No room in seats expected, pay for everything, surprised I wasn't asked to swipe a card to unlock the bathroom door on the airplane. We got in a 20 mins early thought this was great until we got to baggage claim (forced to check a bag for 40 lbs), it had been well over an hour, no announcement for any delay for the first hour. They are blaming it on flights ahead of ours. Not one person on the flight has seen a bag yet. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Jonathan Gardner    (USA)

Big

Flight 231 and 404. Just flew the 2nd leg of my round trip Spirit flight. Again got nabbed with fees for bags and seats.This time we left the gate and had to turn around because of a computer malfunction. 1 hour delay. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by R Pickott    (USA)

Standard

Feb 16, 2014 I am in Las Vegas stranded. Flight was scheduled for noon. Got here 2 hours early as recommended, my flight was delayed due to mechanical issues until 4.41 now looking at 5.41. No email was sent to advise me of the delay. No help at all. I will have been here 8 hours with nobody to help us. They cannot even tell me if the plane is in the sky. Can't wait to see what happens. They have me stuck here and nobody wants to tell me anything or even apologize.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by D Hogston    (USA)

Standard

My job requires that I travel almost weekly and have flown almost all of the major domestic airlines. Yes, they do not offer the amenities of some of the other airlines, I prefer the half the cost of the economy rate. As far as the lack of reclining and distance between the rows. I am a big man, I prefer the extra width of the Airbus 320 seats and not having the room I do have between the rows invaded by the person in front of me feeling the urge to lay down at the expense of others. As far as the baggage fees when checking in goes, I prefer that as opposed to waiting extra time in line for someone to pay for their checked bags. I only take my computer bag on the plane with me. I prefer putting the bag in the overhead instead of under the seat in front of me to make more room for my feet. I will gladly pay for exit row seating as well as my $5 snack & drink. Still much cheaper than the rest of the airlines.

Standard

I initially thought this flight was a steal, a full $150 less then competing airlines. Then come the costs for carry on vs a packed bag, then there comes a seat charge. On top of that our flight left 1 hour late because of a "crew rest." Ok this is understandable I guess, but Spirit should of notified me. Then we waited an extra 30 minutes because a flight attendant was late. The final straw, our seats smelt. I thought Delta was the worst airline, but Spirit is a strong competitor.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by Gary Oehlert    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Houston to Las Vegas was as bad as it could be. No Service, no room and not on time. The only good thing is my bags made the trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by D Barronn    (USA)

Standard

Just flew round trip from ORD to RSW and overheads were open and free to use on both flights. $3.00 for a soft drink robbery. No leg room.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Jason Fisher    (USA)

Standard

An awful flight experience for me. I flew from Las Vegas to Philadelphia and we were delayed. The announcement explained that the delay was waiting for the flight attendants. I shouldn't complain though, because while waiting in the terminal other Spirit airlines flights were being canceled all over the place. When we finally boarded the plane, it was pretty dirty. The seats had graffiti everywhere and there was still trash from previous flights scattered all over the place. The flight attendants were obnoxious, during the flight they did nothing but sit in their seats and play games on each others phones. Regardless of the money you save by booking with Spirit, the bag fees are extremely expensive and you have to pay for everything once inflight. I would recommend eating before boarding. I actually wouldn't even recommend boarding. Almost every flight they had that day was delayed or canceled. And if you have luxury of needing to speak with customer service expect a worst case scenario for your travel arrangements.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by R Flores    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight for two to Oakland from Dallas. Fares seemed great. Luckily I read all the fine print as you should too. The fare you pay is a fare. Seats are extra ranging in price, up front, aisle, window, etc. Baggage is extra as in most carriers but it will cost you much, much more if you don't pay on line as much as $100 at the gate. Print your boarding passes at home if not the is a $10 per convenience fee at the counter. Everything cost on the flight, water $3, etc. the flight there was on time but it was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever experienced. Seats don't recline landing it neck strain and headache. Flight back was on an older plane and seat and head rest were much more comfortable. Flight was delayed 7 hours though on line it said 30 minutes. Staff were very friendly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Hanzel Cisneros    (Costa Rica)

Standard

I booked a round trip from my homeland, Costa Rica to New York (La Guardia) last October. No delays, (we had two connection flights in Fort Lauderdale with the same result) a positive attitude from the staff, a decent A320 aircraft and even more important: no last-hour or surprise fees! If you're not traveling light pay the fee for the bags at the moment of the transaction, and select (buy) your seats. The snack menu is poor, please eat something before you board the plane. Don't expect a lot of legroom, (I'm tall and slim but I never felt really uncomfortable). I made all my trip with a standard size backpack and it was free of charge! With this airline you get what you paid for, do not expect more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by D TenClay    (USA)

Big

RT MSP-LAX-MSP week of Feb 3. Booked with 8 days notice through the web site which worked fine. Opted for available big up front seats, paid for checked baggage (1 bag) both ways and still over $400 less than my usual airline, Delta. That's too much of a difference to overlook. Service was fine, equipment is A319/320, seats a bit worn but plenty big. Will use again. Do your homework, eat ahead, bring a book and it's all good.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Valerie Reed    (USA)

Standard

I would never recommend Spirit Airlines. My sister's flight from Atlanta to Chicago was delayed in Atlanta. She actually sat on the runway for over an hour while her connecting flight from Ft. Lauderdale left on time. Spirit knew she would miss her connecting flight and still allowed her to go to Ft. Lauderdale. They then only offered to put her on the next flight at 7 am the next morning. If cheap is what you want do yourself a favor take a bus.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by RJ Sladewski    (USA)

Still amazes me at how long it's taking Americans - based upon reviews below - to appreciate the European import of the budget airline concept. This ATL-DFW Saturday night flight was my 3rd Spirit flight, each at an unbeatable fare with excellent service. No surprises, except for the very nice FA's, wasn't expecting such a positive attitude from them. Also, this was the first of my 3 flights that wasn't oversold, had an entire row to myself! On the down side, there is very little personal space, don't get stuck in a middle seat of your over 5'6".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Jessica Mannah    (USA)

Standard

NK 195, Jan 31 2014 from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. NK 676, Feb 2 2014 from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. The leaving and the returning back home was awful. The attendants are rude with attitudes and no respect. The fact that I paid a full ticket price and checked in online, to then arrive at the airport and have to pay an extra $50 for each bag and when I requested a window seat I got to sit both ways in a middle seat. In addition, the gates were changed and no notification was given throughout the whole process. When all passengers were finally sitting in the plane and ready to leave they kept us for 25 mins, sitting on the runway, without A/C and no explanation. I will avoid traveling with Spirit unless I have no other choice.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Daniel McMaster    (USA)

Standard

I flew December 21st to 24th. The flight crew were nice but what I do not like is that they do not give anything to customers like water, peanuts or pretzels and Coca Cola. I am a tall person and I was sat next to the aisle, it didn't give me enough legroom in my seat. When I was returning from Orlando to Detroit Metro Airport, I was dropped off at 5.40 at Orlando, security allowed us to come back to the main terminal building because our flight was delayed. I was stuck at the airport for 4 hours. I will never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Glenn Davis    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight from Orlando to Detroit at a fabulous price with perfect departure and return times, which I thought was too good to be true and you know what they say about that! It was. They did not allow carry on bags and wanted to charge $100 for a carry on because it wasn't checked! But they were "nice enough" to only charge $50 and said it had to pre checked online on the return flight for $40 which added an extra 90.00 for a carry on!! Will not fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by P Mowery    (USA)

Big

Fort Lauderdale Las Vegas for $256 ticket, paid a total of $510 after seating and carry on! On top of the extra charges you get horrible customer service and delays. Will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by J Sharrock    (USA)

Standard

Oakland to Las Vegas. Price came up at $80/roundtrip ticket inc. taxes. I booked this flight only to get an email 3 days later asking me to purchase bags. Never heard of this with any airline unless you are over the first free 2 bags. So at a charge of $30 to check in a bag per person each way, this $80 ticket now became $140. Staff at the ticket desk were very rude. Flight attendants on the plane were equally rude. Very short with people as the plane was delayed and they made it clear they wanted to get home. Seats do not recline at all unless you are in the 4 seats in the front of plane. You can reserve a seat for more money. All in all, I should have never switched airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Robert Wadsworth    (USA)

Standard

On 12/31/1013 and 1/1/2014 we flew from Tampa to Las Vegas via Dallas/Ft. Worth and back through St. Paul. All flights were on schedule and the crews were very friendly. Yes the seating may be slightly more cramped than other airlines but they were manageable. Prices were very low for a last minute decision. Fortunately I read all the reports ahead of time and we printed boarding passes at home and hotel. We also packed small bags they were considered free personal carry-on luggage. Beer was 3 for $16 which is about average. Not like flying first class, but more than we expected for the money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Julia Gustafson    (USA)

Big

We booked a flight from Minneapolis to Orlando. We knew ahead of time about extra pricing and decided to upgrade to the larger front seats. The flight attendants on the morning trip of Feb 15th were fantastic. I honestly did not expect a good experience because of what I had heard about Spirit but I have no complaints. I will be flying them again in the near future. I think the key is to be educated and realize that this is a "pay for what you use airline ". We brought our own drinks and snacks on board and no one said a word!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by M Kemmler    (USA)

Standard

BOS-FLL. Charge for everything. $50 for a bag if larger than a brief case, charge to chose a seat. Charge for a glass of water. seats are so close together you can't get you legs in. I won't fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 January 2014 by Deboirah Tanno    (USA)

Standard

Left for Costa Rica January 8th 2014, return was due for January 20 2014, arrived on January 23rd. Never take an International Flight with a connection, and leave 1 hour between flights, the flight back from Costa Rica was delayed, then customs held us up, then the door slammed in our face as we arrived in time to watch it close. We were told we would be put on standby for the next flight, well 5 flights later and nothing. For what we spent because they overbook, I could have gone first class on a reputable airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2014 by Pete Flanagan    (USA)

Standard

2 hour flight took almost 7hrs one way and including delay 3hrs home. The cost of the flight was fine but if you wanted to bring a bag or have a drink the price shot through the roof. Would never fly Spirit again. Extremely cramped seating. Not one apology or offer of a beverage while we sat on plane for 4-5hrs longer than expected.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by A Gudmundson    (USA)

Standard

Flight 833 from FLL to Montego Bay, Jamaica on 1/15. Flight supposed to be at 10.30 and we left at 4.00. I would recommend that everybody avoid Spirit wherever possible. I've flown them twice and after the first time I said I would never fly them again, now I'm kicking myself for not doing that. When comparing their fares to other providers, you may be tempted to save a few dollars, but trust me, it is not worth the headache. Keep in mind that they will be nickel and diming you for everything from baggage to drinks to printing a boarding pass. In my first experience with spirit the flight was delayed 3.5 hrs and we were given no reason. On my second, the flight was delayed 5 hours due to "weather" from the departing city. When I asked what the departing city was, they noted Myrtle Beach, SC. Sure enough, weather.com shows sunny and delightful all day in Myrtle. Overall, I'd say Spirit is not worth the money. Save yourself the frustration.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Bedney Mark    (USA)

Standard

Thinking it was too good to be true is an understatement. We searched through Spirits website to see about any "hidden" fees and found nothing so we booked a trip. We are an average American family with a disabled child which leaves us very little money but we saved and planned for almost a year to be hit with almost $200 in extra fees for baggage and drinks not to mention that we were delayed coming home and had to spend most of the night in the airport. This was one of the worst experiences we have ever had traveling.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Ferdous Ghazi    (USA)

Standard

traveled from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. The total cost including fees for practically everything was more than if I would have taken Delta. No more with this airline nor do I recommend anyone to take this one.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Rob Varacchi    (USA)

Standard

Spirit sucks you in with an extremely low fare and then hits you with baggage fees, seat fees, taxes upon taxes, so that by the time you get your total, you could have flown just about any other airline. They brag how they've added more seats so that means more passengers to keep fares low. What they don't tell you is that they moved the seats closer together to get more room for the extra seats. I'm neither a tall or a fat person but my knees were pressed into the seat in front of me and the tray table was digging into my stomach. Not that I really needed the tray table, they don't even give you water without charging some outrageous price. The seats are extremely tight and it's like sitting on a piece of wood. It was very difficult to make my 5.5 hour flight. By the time everything was added in, my original airfare almost doubled.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by David Levy    (USA)

Standard

I paid more for a bag and a "seat" than the ticket itself. Why buying a ticket is somehow not enough to buy a seat on the plane is too deeply offensive to discuss. But believe it or not you have to pay more money to get a "seat". Welcome to Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by D Witman    (USA)

New Airbus 320, clean and comfortable. On time both down and back. Seats comfortable, non-reclining but no less space than any other airline. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great pay-for-what-you-use model. Three round trips between Boston and Ft. Myers for about $750 total counting some of the extras people complain about. Here is the secret for Spirit - read completely and fully understand how it all works before you click "purchase." Most complaints seem to come from people who do not pre-purchase what they want or need and show up at the airport wholly unprepared. Yes, they do sock you with outrageous fees if you are one of the great unwashed masses who can't seem to get out of your own way. Before purchasing, select your seat, choose how you will take luggage and pay for it at the time you book and pay for your flight. Check in online before you go to the airport. No surprises. We fly a lot, mostly on Southwest, which we love, and I did not notice much difference - except the price and less inane humor from the flight attendants. We had a great round trip flight and will consider taking Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Ivonne Sola    (USA)

Flight 171 - December 8, 2013. I used Spirit to travel to NY from FTL on December 2013 thinking that their price was affordable. To my surprise when I got to the airport and tried to get my on board tickets they charged me $25 per seat assignment, so if I wanted to seat next to my husband we had to pay $50. To that they charged for carry ons $45. So add to your airline ticket another $70 per person each way for a total of $140 each. The seats were very uncomfortable and very thin with no cushion. They have the pre-reclined seats and they are stiff, not to mention you have no leg room at all. We tried seating near the emergency door so my husband could have more leg room and that would have been better. I will definitely avoid traveling with Sprit. When you add all the hidden rates they charge you they are not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Lu Henley    (Virgin Islands)

We flew from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale on 12/30 and aside from the extremely rude ticket agent who informed me that the carry-on which I pre-paid for online was a personal item and not have to be charged, yet could not give me a refund or a credit for my return flight, aside from the fact that the flight was delayed leaving, aside from the fact that the flight attendants wouldn't even give me 1 cup of water to give to my toddler and I had to pay $3 for a bottle of water, the flight from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale was pleasant. On the day we were returning to St. Thomas from Ft. Lauderdale, the ticket agent was a little rude, but helpful. Flight was delayed yet again for almost an hour. We get on the plane and were in the very last row. We get to St. Thomas and we go to baggage claim and wait for bags. We go to Spirit's counter and no one is there. After about 30 minutes a young lady appears and I ask her about the bags. I explain that we were told the bags were done but my bags aren't there nor are the bags of all the other passengers behind me. She doesn't even apologize for the inconvenience. Waited 2 hours at baggage and then another 2 hour process to do a lost luggage claim. Of course, the flight returning our bags was delayed.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by J Buchanan    (USA)

Standard

We booked return Portland to San Diego. This was the first segment and the plane had to be brought back to the gate, everyone leaves and they reboot the computer. The flight left 2 hours late. As we manoeuvred into the seats (with a whole 28" between rows), the stewardess mentions the floatation device beneath the seat cushion. However, in the event of a water landing, there is no way anyone could ever get to those devices. Everything has an additional charge. The return trip was also 2 hours late. Finally, just before landing, we were given the option of signing up for a credit card for which we would be given enough miles for six trips. There were five adults in our party, which would give us 30 trips - but why in the world would we ever want to do that?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Dave Streit    (USA)

Standard

I fly from Chicago to Dallas frequently and once on the flight, service is generally good but nowhere near great. Seems rather clear that the company does not put customer service first in it's training and is focused, instead, on maximizing the income generated from each passenger. My biggest problem is the poor attitude of the check-in staff at DFW airport. There is a women who protects the gate opening to the ticket counters who should not be employed anywhere let alone in a customer facing role. I wanted to get a seat re-assignment which could not be done at a terminal and i was questioned and probed as if I was up to no good. The low ticket prices are the only reason why one should select this carrier and should do so knowing what other costs you may incur.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by L Stanton    (USA)

Standard

Just completed a round trip from BWI to Las Vegas. The service at Spirit was as I expected. I anticipated that Spirit was like the Greyhound of air carriers. For your discounted ticket you get the seat you will ride in and the storage space under the seat. If your personal items will not fit in this space you will be charged for a carry-on bag which is $100 at the time of boarding. The Spirit webpage has the baggage policy which clearly explains the weight and measurement restrictions. Checked baggage is $30 each and carry on is $35 if purchased prior to the start of boarding. Boarding passes should be printed prior to arrival at the airport to avoid a charge to use Spirit's printer. I did some research on the seating on the plane i was booked on and found that the seat spacing is the tightest in the industry. I opted to purchase an exit row seat which was well worth the $25 each way. Even with the additional costs for amenities I saved at least $100 on airfare compared to other carriers providing service from BWI to LAS. I would fly Spirit again tomorrow if needed. If you like having free drink service, pillows and blankets then Spirit is not for you. Spirit is a no frills airline but they got me to my destination and back safely and on time. Most of the complaints I heard while on this trip were by people who paid for a flight on an airline and assumed they knew what they were buying. If you take the time to understand what you are buying Spirit is a bargain.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Garry Troxtell    (USA)

Standard

12/30/2013 to 1/3/2014. Flights 469 and 470. Flights from Dallas to Las Vegas went off without a hitch. Las Vegas to Dallas, great flight. All in all I would definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by A Silberstein    (USA)

Standard

I traveled to NY in December of 2013 and although the flight out was fine and on time, the flight back was cancelled and no flights were available for several days, I ended up purchasing a one way ticket from Southwest which was one counter down for a full fare and made it back that night. Spirit never offered a refund or any compensation for cancelling a flight and not accommodating Last night my daughter was supposed to fly back from Florida to Chicago, her flight was first delayed then finally cancelled. Again the airline did not offer any help and the first flight available they offered was 3 days later! which is outrageous! We found another flight on Spirit with available seat but the airline refused to allow the use of that seat and at best after demanding to talk to a supervisor we were told that non are available for 2 hours (which is after the flight departs). Needless to say we are so disappointed with this airline that we will never recommend for anyone to fly with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by P Fukuda    (USA)

Standard

I am a frequent traveler both international and domestic. I have used almost every major airline out there. Spirit Airlines is by far the worst I have flown. There is not a single positive thing I can say about them. I bought their ticket (Los Angeles to Lima, Peru) because it was the cheapest. However, they have so many hidden fees that it ends up being the most expensive option. During the 6 hour flight, the seats were dirty with crusted food. I was thirsty so I asked for a cup of water. They told me they would charge me $5 and would only accept card. I told them I didn't have a card, only cash. The stewardess had the audacity to say she could only offer me a cup of ice for free. I find their hidden fees to be outrageous. ($50 charge to check in a bag. 40 lb limit instead of 50 which is the standard. They charge another extra $25 for every 5 lb you are over the limit).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by J Remi    (Canada)

Big

Dec 26, flight 451, PBG to FLL. Jan 6, flight 450, FLL to PBG. Spirit is one of my favorite airlines for the price. I fly o Fort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh every 2 weeks. Price is cheap for airline with fleet of all new A320 aircrafts. Almost on time except for bad weather.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Mark Greene    (USA)

Standard

Awful, no updates or anything. I understand weather problems, but to list the plane as on schedule up until 2 mins before takeoff and the plane isn't even there is a joke! 4 hrs later we took off. On the way back same thing 6pm flight became 9 then 12 then cancelled. Best they could do was 2 days later, no food, or hotel help. Nothing! You get what you pay for and in this case I got less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by J Heydt    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Chicago to Ft. Myers was delayed 3 hours. We boarded the 100% full plane, sat for an hour and a half and were told they couldn't get fuel. Everyone had to deplane and it was another hour before we were told our flight was going to be canceled. Another 50 dollar cab ride home and then they couldn't get us on another flight until Friday and our original flight was for Monday. We asked if they could at least get us on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale if all flights were filled to Ft. Myers and were told "no" we had to accept the first available flight to Ft. Myers 4 days later!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by D Kenney    (USA)

Standard

I fly from MSP to TPA several times each winter. I have used Spirit several times. I fly with a service dog. I have had very few problems. The seats are tight but my dog fits herself under the seat in front of me. For a 3 hour flight, the prices can't be beaten. People who complain about extra fees, etc. have obviously not read information on the website. It is all spelled out and should hold no surprises. I compare flying Spirit to taking the bus-absolutely no frills but it gets you where you want to go!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Gilliane Sasvari    (USA)

Standard

My first time traveling with this airline and it will definitely be my last. My family and I were booked on it through Travelocity as part of a package trip for my vow renewal with my husband in Las Vegas. The trip there was problematic but ok. I asked for drinking water but was told I had to purchase water for 3 dollars and this was a 5.5 hour trip. The seats reminded me of an inner city bus service. The nightmare really started on our way back when we were made to pay 100 dollars for my son's violin as a carry on instead of a personal item as we had done on our outward journey. I was told that the flight will leave without us if we did not pay and our luggage had already been checked in. This airline is by far the worst I have ever had the misfortune of traveling on. The customer service was non existent.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by S Carver    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled from Denver to Houston after being delayed and making us wait in the airport for 8 hours. Have $7 voucher which doesn't cover anything and the next flight out they had to offer was a week down the road. Try booking a next day flight for $118, they didn't even refund bag fees! With fees and everything and the negative 4 inches of leg room and dirtiness of the cabin, pay extra.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by B Jones    (USA)

Standard

Terrible - 4.5 hour delay leaving Atlanta, they offered food vouchers while we waited, they ran out of them by the time I got to the counter. The Gate people were low end, not professional. Flight home from Ft. Lauderdale was better but not good. Pay the small extra and avoid this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by C Sheldon    (USA)

Standard

Tried Spirit Airlines for the first time and it will definitely be the last time. Flew to Las Vegas and the flight was late 3 hours to and from and the lateness was not due to weather related issues. The extra charge for bags was outrageous. Couldn't believe they charged for carryon as well as checked bags. If you have a carry on and it will fit under the seat there should not be a charge. I also couldn't believe the charges for drinks and snacks! $7.00 for a pillow and blanket! Next thing you know, they will be charging you to use the bathroom. The extra charge to reserve your seat? Ridiculous. They say they are a cheap airlines but after you add all the extra charges you can forget the value for money. If an airline is going to be 3 hours late they should at least offer you food reimbursement. While waiting for our flight home to Portland, the flight next to us was late two hours waiting for an airline attendant to show up. That is unacceptable. So bottom line, if you want to sit in an airport hours on end and you feel your time is not valuable, then fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Y Quinones    (USA)

Standard

There was just too many things wrong with this airline. I wanted to bring my dog, they told me that would cost $100 to and from San Juan ($200 total). Then they said that there were already 4 pets on the plane and I couldn't bring my pet. Changing our flight would cost $125. Thankfully we didn't change our flight because when we got on, there was only one pet. Then of course the extra charge. I simply do not want anything to do with this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by John Molani    (USA)

Standard

Dallas Ft Worth to Atlanta, Flight 403, 13 July 13. Baggage (carry on and check in) are at sky high rates, several seats on-board are always missing the button to recline your seat (brought it up to the stewardess and she could not do anything, or even move me to seats above due to them being "special paid seats"). Had pictures and spoke to Customer Representatives at Spirit but they did not do anything either. Recommend to anyone to think about these issues before coming on-board or purchasing your ticket. If you would like a small cup of water, you've got to pay several dollars for it. Not to mention that in every seat or overhead there's an advertisement for their credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Elenie Davis    (USA)

Standard

Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL). Dec 26, 2013 and return Dec 29 2013. The last seat on the plane shouldn't even exist. My husband and I flew to Miami struggling with smallest seat we have ever sat in. On top of that they charged for water, snacks, and everything else they could think of. They don't offer any free snacks! Also they charged $45.00 per bag! This was our first time flying with Spirit Airlines, and it will definitely be are last time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by J Brentwood    (USA)

Standard

Flight 345, MSP to PHX on 12/22/13 and Flight 342, PHX to MSP on 12/26/13. My 9 month old puppy and I had a great experience flying Spirit this past Christmas season! The airport staff, check-in staff and security were extremely helpful and friendly in getting me through the process with my pet. Flight attendants were pleasant! The room under the seat was sufficient for my pets carrier. Although I did think the $100 each way price for my pet was a little steep, I will look at Spirit first for my future flights.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by D Porter    (USA)

Standard

We (family of 4) used Spirit round trip Phoenix to Minneapolis over the holiday and were very satisfied. We saved considerable amount even with the various charges. As with anything you do need to read and understand the fees. Even so it was far cheaper. The check in person in both cities was extremely polite as was the flight crew. Yes, the leg room is tight, but for what we saved I can deal with that. We fly a lot and I can't say any other airline has better service. Service goes a long way and if this airline maintains low fairs and good service they should succeed in my opinion.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Richard Dow    (USA)

Standard

Dec 23rd from FLL to LGA and back on Dec 28th from LGA to FLL. This was the worst airline I have ever flown with. The charge for carry on baggage is outrageous. The customer service was terrible and the flight out was delayed. I fly a lot, and this will be the one and only time I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by J Hardee    (USA)

Standard

We arrived 2 hours prior to board a flight to Myrtle Beach from Ft. Lauderdale on January 1. We experienced complete chaos in the check in and bag drop area. The Spirit Representative said they did not anticipate "such a busy day". We were finally "expedited" by the Spirit representative, but still missed our flight due to the extreme delay in check-in and baggage drop. According to the very rude and unhelpful gate agent, no one from Spirit Check-in notified her of the delay. 20+ people missed their flight to Myrtle Beach and Boston due to incompetent Spirit Airlines staff. The plane was still at the gate. The gate agent advised the gate could not be reopened. 20+ people missed the flight. There were only 3 available seats for January 2nd travel to Myrtle Beach.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by D Potter    (USA)

Standard

If Spirit Airlines were the last remaining airline on the planet, I would not fly them. After booking a flight on Kayak.com that appeared to show a very good fare, I arrived at the airport and discovered Spirit was going to gouge my travelling companion and me for $90 each way simply for checking or carrying on a bag - something that was never disclosed prior to reaching the airport. The plane was late, cramped and customer service was awful - the only informative thing the flight attendant had to say was "don't worry, the seats don't recline". This dreadful airline is the worst flying experience I've ever had and from the conversations other passengers on the flights had, it doesn't appear anyone will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Trisha Piccone    (USA)

Big

Going out of Atlantic City no real problems except additional baggage charges. Return trip from Ft. Lauderdale Florida a complete nightmare. The lines, the extra charges, the service rude, and uncalled for! Change your ways, it is really unfair.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by D Schmidt    (USA)

Standard

We flew to Costa Rica and it was terrible there and back. Both flights late, boarding a mess. People in the lines were not aware of bag charges, so that caused delays at check in. You can't even get a cup of water on board without paying for it either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by M Shoemaker    (USA)

Let me start by saying I fly a lot and have had my share of frustrating travel situations but never in my life have I seen anything as maddening as the Spirit Airlines "fast bag drop" at FLL. Hours in line just to drop off your bag. Another 30-45 mins in security before they finally call your destination along with 2-3 others to come to a designated line for flights that are about to depart. Still, I saw many people running through the airport, others who missed their flights and still others who were just very frustrated with the whole process. There is no amount of money that I could have saved to make this experience worth it (and I am frugal). Save yourself a lot of frustration and possibly a missed flight with heaps of other associated fees and fly another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by A Lightbody    (USA)

Standard

DTW to RSW, 12/24, #605. RSW to DTW, 678. We will never fly Spirit again. Cramped seats going to Florida and so far, 1.5 hr delay in clear weather. All other carriers can get me to my destination on time, but I have to buy a new ticket. Spirit has no relationships since they are a local low class carrier.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax