Spanair Customer Reviews and Spanair Passenger Trip Reports

Spanair detailed Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : Spanair
3.8 out of 10  3.8 out of 10

1 2

SPANAIR customer review :  28 January 2012 by Eric Albin (Switzerland)

Flew BCN-TFN on A320. Business Class was first 3 rows, total of 7 passengers. Aircraft nice and clean. Comfortable seats. Crew was friendly. The hot meal was served individually, whenever you wanted it on this 3 hr flight. Food was ok. Check-in friendly and efficient and there was pre-boarding for Business Class passengers. Our baggage arrived first. At least the Business Class product on this flight was really good and their fares attractive too.

SPANAIR customer review :  19 January 2012 by J Springthorpe (Spain)

Madrid-Las Palmas. Boarding process in Madrid always seems a bit of a saga! They take ages and are very strict in checking cabin baggage sizes. I am all for controlling hand luggage and stopping people from taking dangerously large bags in the cabin but this causes so much delay its a bit over the top. Aircraft was Airbus A320, some have newer recaro seats, others very old, tatty and uncomfortable. General aircraft state is poor, crew are generally not the best English speakers. Sadly the crew are really letting this airline down, scruffy and chewing gum whilst doing the safety demo. They managed 1 bar run on a 2.5 hr flight with about 5 cabin crew. No inflight sales. They are not cheap to fly with and on time arrivals are a rarity.

SPANAIR customer review :  9 January 2012 by T Saurus (Germany)

FRA-MAD. Aircraft (MD-83, to be retired this year) showed its age, typical budget airline pay-for-food-and- drinks. Safety announcements were a bit muffled, but definitely in all three languages too. However, flight attendants were great, spoke English, German and Spanish and dealt wonderfully with passengers.

SPANAIR customer review :  30 December 2011 by A Kelner (Luxembourg)

BCN-ALC-BCN. Poor service in general. Boarding slow and complicated. Cabin crew looked very tired. No complimentary service onboard. Cramped seats. Bad announcements.

SPANAIR customer review :  17 November 2011 by M Andersen (Denmark)

MAD-TFN-MAD. Both legs on J-class. Bad seats, poor service (the meal looks like a standard economy meal) and FA's that do not speak or understand English. Spanair lounge at MAD is ok, but does not compensate with service onboard.

SPANAIR customer review :  13 October 2011 by G Norris (Canada)

Madrid to Frankfurt on Spanair and not a good experience. At check-in I was told I was "not allowed" to have a second checked-in piece of baggage (2nd piece weighed a total of 2kgms but too oddly shaped for cabin carry-on). After much debate they agreed that I was actually allowed to have the 2nd piece but only if I paid an additional 71 Euros. On the flight itself the seats were extremely cramped (among the smallest space I have ever seen on an aircraft) and there was absolutely no service on a 2 hour and 30 minute flight. I had to request and then pay for a bottle of water! I would never fly Spanair again unless absolutely unavoidable. Not sure how it qualifies to be a Star Alliance member.

SPANAIR customer review :  10 October 2011 by V Rosendahl (Denmark)

BCN-CPH in an almost fully booked A320. Clean cabin and cramped seating! Seat pitch is not for the long legged! Crew efficient, but rather indifferent. Some passengers were busy on the call button, causing delays for the sales cart. Noticed once again some passengers opting for low fare flights seem to forget that 'you get what you pay for.' Ground-service in BCN ok . There isn't much to rave about - I wouldn't mind flying Spanair again, because if you don't expect too much you cannot be disappointed.

SPANAIR customer review :  29 September 2011 by R Cerni (Spain)

BCN-VCE-BCN and BCN-SAW-BCN during the last 2 months. On all flights the cabin crew were professional and friendly. The A320 and A321 were clean. The flights were smooth and without delays. Online booking is easy to use and the boarding procedure at the airports quite good.

SPANAIR customer review :  1 August 2011 by A O'Brien (Spain)

I booked a flight from Mallorca to Madrid with the residents discount. The rules about this are hidden away in small print. I had a copy of my residencia but was then told it had to be the original (which you may then lose on your travels!) or any copy has to be notarized (this is not in the small print). I was forced to pay another full return fare, even though the two trips were written separately, and I would have my residencia for the return trip. The cost was originally 103 euros. I ended up paying 308 euros for an hour's flight. What a scam! Why can't you just pay the discount back?

SPANAIR customer review :  20 July 2011 by Uwe Luedemann   (Germany)

Madrid-Lanzarote MD 83, poor space between the seats. No service - you can buy for a short time some snacks. On a 2hr 20mins flight not even water for free! Safety instructions poor, most of information from crew and pilot only in Spanish. Return flight with newer A320, but same small space and no service. How can Spanair became a member of Star Alliance?

SPANAIR customer review :  12 July 2011 by Miguel Garcia Lopez   (Spain)

I had sufficient miles in my Spanair frequent flyer program to ask an upgrade to Business in ALC-BCN yesterday flight. It was unpleasant to see that their catering service was only a cold beverage, a few crackers and some ham. Really disgusting for a short haul flight. I flew very frequently with AF or LX and their catering service in Business is much more improved.

SPANAIR customer review :  6 July 2011 by J Bochenek   (USA)

BKO-BCN. They cancelled both the departure and return of this flight. I found out that they cancel one in six of theses flights. On the departure I had to wait 4 days to get another flight. Ground staff at Bamako were awful. When I showed up for the rescheduled flight and gave them the ticket they threw my bag at my feet and yelled "your ticket was cancelled" and walked off. It wasn't cancelled, and only after much argument did they actually type in the ticket number and there it was (but they continued to be rude while giving my boarding passes).

SPANAIR customer review :  5 July 2011 by J Boyd   (UK)

Barcelona-Nice. Definitely recommend online check-in as bag-drop queue was quick and efficient, not the case for those checking in at BCN airport. Departure gate changed from 48 to 32 and then to 44, then announced delayed departure due to operational issues. Once on board, assumed ready to go but pilot announces waiting on another crew member as one had called in sick. It was all slightly reminiscent of Air Comet (though nothing could ever come close to being that bad). Rude ground staff except for bag-drop.

SPANAIR customer review :  28 June 2011 by T Kilpatrick   (USA)

Barcelona-Venice. Half way there the plane lost an engine and had to divert to Milan. Upon landing in Milan we were told that another plane was on its way from Barcelona to get us to Venice. Then, later, we were told that there wouldn't be a plane and busses were going to take us (4 hrs) to Venice, but that they weren't sure if or when the busses would be there. We decided to leave the airport and take a train, when we left (based on estimates from the Spanair representative) it would have been 1am in the morning before the busses got us to Venice, if they got us there at all. We took the train (against the advice of Spanair) and got there around 9pm (still 7 hrs later than expected). Since we got home I have been trying to get some sort of refund from Spanair, but they refuse to admit that the plane was even diverted.

SPANAIR customer review :  6 June 2011 by M Gaudinier   (USA)

Our 0730 flight MAD-BCN was cancelled with no explanation given. We were told to get our luggage and go back through to the check in desk (not a short walk in MAD). When I got my luggage, the handle was broken off. We were told we'd be on a flight at 1215. However, at 1220 they told us that flight was cancelled too, still no explanation given. We had to go get all our luggage again and go back to check in again - where we were told we were all going to fly on Air Europa at 1440. Fortunately that flight left on time, but I have a suspicion that the 1215 flight was never even planned (no plane ever arrived at the gate). They seem to have just told us about it to keep us waiting while they found another airline with available seats. Totally unprofessional.

SPANAIR customer review :  5 June 2011 by L Frederic   (Germany)

BCN-MAD Business Class. Book a very cheap economy class fare (approx 40 EUR) and upgraded 1 week prior. Premium check in no line, but rather rude agent which took 15 minutes to get my bags checked through to FRA. Lounge nice, boarding on time. A320 regular economy class seats, but comfy and legroom okay. Was the only traveller in Business Class, but apparently when flight is full they don't keep the middle seat empty on domestic flights. Staff friendly and spoke good English. Newspaper offered, breakfast basic served with croissants and buns. Nothing special but fine for a 50 minutes flight.

SPANAIR customer review :  9 May 2011 by P Herman   (Spain)

Menorca-Barcelona on A320. Crew friendly and professional. Legroom awful for a tall person (a 29 inch pitch I reckon) but bearable for half hour or so we were in the air. Aircraft seems laid out according to fare paid, with the front part of economy class offering more legroom, the back where I sat much less so. Despite the short flight, attendants set up the trolley with food and drink for purchase - no buyers though. Unless I was paying a higher fare or business class, I wouldn't fly with them for any flight longer than 1 hour - the leg room at the back is just too tight.

SPANAIR customer review :  8 May 2011 by S Dahlberg   (Spain)

BCN-ARN-BCN in Economy. I flew with my baby from Barcelona to Stockholm and back. There was a delay on the outbound flight, no explanation was given. The seats were so small. The staff in check-in was nice and aircraft crew very helpful, especially with the baby. They spoke Spanish, Swedish and English. Fortunately there weren't many people on the plane so I had enough space for the child and a close bathroom was free - if it had been full it would surely have been a nightmare. Snacks and drinks on board quite expensive for a Spanish salary The online booking tool on their own wesbite is very quick and efficient, the only downside is they add almost half the price in taxes on the last booking step, just before you enter the card details. I have to say that the price of the ticket was very low, even lower then the LCC option at the time (Ryanair flying from Girona to Skavsta and not from Prat to Arlanda as JK!), so I would say I got what I paid for, except for the delay.

SPANAIR customer review :  28 April 2011 by Soren Rasmussen   (Switzerland)

CPH-BCN on MD87. Legroom cramped and appalling - my wife and I are both 180 cms tall, and we literally couldn't sit straight. Staff completely non-involved and didn't bother about anything but just going home. It's just not good enough, and this airline should be thrown out of Star Alliance. We will never fly this airline again.

1 2

| Home | Airline Reviews | Legal Notice | Advertise | Surveys | Site Search | Editorial Policy | Site Map | Contact Us | Testimonials | Links |