PAGE loading ... please wait!

Air Southwest Customer Reviews and Air Southwest Passenger Trip Reports

Air Southwest Passenger seat tips

Air Southwest Economy class seat reviews

Air Southwest Aircraft Seat Plans

Destinations & Aircraft Fleet Guide

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  19 January 2011 by Gary Howson (UK)

Booked a flight to Newquay on 30th December - a 2 hour delay, then to be told they only had 1 plane working so had to divert to Leeds/Bradford to drop some passengers off, tried to land but could not because of fog (fair enough). Pilot decides to circle for an hour above Leeds, goes to land again then refuses because of fog - then says we've got to go to Darlington. Half way to Darlington decides to turn back and try to land at Leeds again - but fails and says we are going Darlington this time( bear in mind I'm going to Newquay). Lands at Darlington. Had to refuel there as we've been flying in circle around Leeds for an hour. Newquay here we come - no we don't. We've got to land at Bristol to pick some more passengers up. Tries to land at Bristol but can't because of fog, back up in the air - finally arrive Newquay 4 hours late. Compensation - A pack of 3 shortbread biscuits and carton of orange juice!

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  11 January 2011 by Ian Morley (UK)

MAN-NQY return - this is the first time I have flown with this airline and I won't rush back. What should have been a 2 hour journey turned into 3 on each leg - both times due to technical faults with the aircraft. On Man-NQY leg I was advised the flight would be 50 mins late due to "late arrival of inbound aircraft". When the plane did eventually arrive (70 mins late) the captaina advised they were only flying one plane on the northern routes that evening due to technical issues. And then, after the delay the lady tried to sell refreshments!! With the scheduled stop at Bristol taken up by a "lost" passenger - the ground staff said there should be 18 going to NQY when 17 people were sat on the plane and an argument over lost paperwork we eventually arrived in NQY over an hour late. The poor Plymouth bound passengers then had to take a taxi from NQY. The return leg wasn't any better. Arriving at NQY apt I was told my bag would have to go into the hold as it was a Jetstream aircraft they were using. I then had to pay 5 airport development fee just to get through security. The aircraft turned out to be an Eastern Airways Jetstream 41, With no overhead lockers my other bag had to go into a mini-hold also. We flew to Bristol to be told the Plymouth departure hadn't yet left Plymouth due to a technical fault and we had to wait for it. We then had to sit on the plane for 80 mins in the freezing cold (they left the door open) and the fumes from other aircraft filling the cabin. We finally made it back to MAN to have to wait for people to come and unload the mini-hold - when they did they just threw the bags on the floor in the wet. A further 20 min wait for my other bag at the carousel did nothing to help. Again another hours delay. I took this service to try and speed up my journey to Cornwall - with the train it would have been both faster and cheaper.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  8 November 2010 by Brian Robson (UK)

Newcastle - Newquay. Flight cancelled as 'bad weather at Newquay had prevented aircraft making outward journey'. We were all bumped onto a Flybe flight to Exeter an hour later, which itself was half full. Brussels Airlines staff at Newcastle friendly and helpful. Low numbers of Air Southwest passengers waiting for ground transport at Exeter suggested that there the cancellation might have been economic rather than weather-related. Speaking to regular passengers confirmed this is not an uncommon experience. Would think twice about booking with Air Southwest again.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  14 October 2010 by S Janes (UK)

NQY-LGW-NQY. Cabin crew very efficient, seats comfortable. Would certainly travel with this airline again. One slightly sour note - we arrived early from the US and asked if we could possibly take the 9.05 flight to NQY instead of waiting until the 12.45 flight we were booked on. We were told it would be possible but the cost of changing was just not worth it. I would also add one comment which is not of Air Southwest making and that is regarding the 2 steep flights of stairs which one has to negotiate after leaving the aircraft to enter Gatwick terminal and vice versa. Not easy for the elderly and a ramp or elevetor would be a lot more preferable.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  26 September 2010 by M Haugh (UK)

Plymouth to Cork - very pleasant flight. The ground crew at Plymouth very helpful and the flight itself comfortable. The stop in Newquay was no big deal. We were on our way quickly and arrived into Cork on time. Overall a stress free trip.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  19 May 2010 by A Billing (UK)

PLY-JER for overnight stay and returned the following day. Dash plane used seemed older and a bit noisier to Flybe, but seating was reasonably comfortable for the short hop, if a bit narrow. No catering service on the way out as the flight was so quick (under 30 mins) but a service was offered on the way back. Staff fairly friendly and we arrived on time both ways. On the return journey those travelling onwards to Bristol were advised that they would have bus transport arranged due to the volcanic ash situation. Would fly with them again if I could get a similar rate, but their fares seem to be a bit more expensive in comparison with Flybe and Exeter airport is more convenient for me. I like how their fares include check-in luggage allowance automatically within the cost, in comparison to other low cost airlines.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  28 March 2010 by David Leston (UK)

Was booked to fly LGW-PLH-LCY at the weekend. The outbound flight diverted to NQY due to poor weather - with a minibus service provided to take passengers to PLH (over an hour away). The return LCY flight was amalgamated with the return LGW flight and flew into city with a 30mins hour delay (this time it was the Gatwick passengers who got bussed to their destination). Seems there are some difficulties sticking to the schedule at Air Southwest (although I appreciate that weather can cause unexpected diversions).

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  10 March 2010 by R Anderson (UK)

Newquay to Gatwick. New menu not expensive, with the addition of Cornish gifts and London Oyster travel cards. Debit and credit cards accepted - before it was cash only. Today it was cash only as the machine was not working. Cabin crew were friendly and efficient.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  23 January 2010 by Alex Hope (Australia)

Although their e-ticket explicitly advises about taking out travel insurance in case of inability to get to the airport, and they take no liability for this, they promptly processed a refund for 4 return tickets Newquay-Cork. We were booked on 7/1/09, and were worried that we may not be able to get to the airport, or to our Irish destination safely, because of the icy road conditions. I checked the flight 2 hours before departure, hoping one or other airport would be closed, however both were open. I rang to cancel and was spontaneously offered a refund because of the general disruption to travel in the UK that day. Since this was outside the strict terms and conditions of the fare, I am very impressed with the effort to maintain good customer relations.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  30 December 2009 : by Tony Pinckard (UK)

I decided to give them a try and booked a flight to Plymouth from Gatwick on Dec 23rd. I called them at noon to check that the flight was ok and told it was fine, there were up to one hour delays at Gatwick because of the weather there, but it was hoped this would have gone by the time of my 4.25pm flight. So I go to Gatwick. There I am told that the flight could not go to Plymouth, only Newquay, and there would be a minibus from Newquay to Plymouth. I found out it was because of ice at Plymouth airport. From others I found out that the morning ASW flights form Plymouth had also been cancelled (as they lack runway de-icing equipment there). Why was I not told this at noon? If I had known, I would have taken the train and made my appointment. Instead my evening was ruined.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  23 November 2009 : by Glen Rennie (UK)

London City-Plymouth-London City. Check in at London City was quick, but the check in agent from KLM demanded photo ID even though domestic flights on Air Southwest do not require this. It was just luck that I had a work ID card with me. Security a non-event and even though it's very small the departure lounge is sufficient. The aircraft was clean and in good order but the sole member of cabin crew looked scared stiff and on the verge of bursting into tears! Departed on time and arrived on time. The return flight was much the same with quick check in, no issues at security and a clean and well maintained aircraft. Again, the flight departed on time and arrived on time. Once more though, the crew did not appear too comfortable. Overall my trips were ok but the happy, smiley, cheerful faces that used to greet you onboard this airline seem to have given way to stressed, overworked, wound up and quite uneasy faces. This maybe down to a reduction in staffing levels (there used to be two cabin crew members on Air Southwest flights) or something more, I don't know, but the atmosphere change onboard was noticeable!

1 2