PAGE loading ... please wait!

Air Southwest Customer Reviews and Air Southwest Passenger Trip Reports

Air Southwest Passenger seat tips

Air Southwest Economy class seat reviews

Air Southwest Aircraft Seat Plans

Destinations & Aircraft Fleet Guide

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  5 October 2009 : by Jon Earnshaw (UK)

LCY-NQY-PLH-LBA. London City to Newquay, took just 1hr 30mins (15min touchdown in Plymouth). Crew great, bubbly and helpful, even booking a taxi to meet me at Newquay - snack and drinks very reasonable. Plymouth to Leeds very different - chaotic check in at Plymouth, the wrong seat plan had been used so everyone had to be checked in again - nightmare. Check in staff lacked warmth and didn't smile. I was then told I would need to change at Bristol. Onboard the flight, crew disappeared for the 30min flight to Bristol - no drinks service and they chatted at the back of the plane. Switching planes was easy - the plane was sub-chartered from Aer Aarran - the crew were friendly and polite and drinks were served on this 1hr hop to Leeds. Reasonable cost, shame the journey to Bristol took the edge of the experience.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  20 July 2009 : by Nic Hallett (UK)

NQY-LCY-NQY. Very comfortable seats, great cabin staff. A perfect little service, able to be in London for 9.30, meeting, went to the British Museum and back home in Falmouth by 21.30, and all for 58! this service was mostly full of business people but I would recommend the service for anyone. Reasonable drinks and snack costs.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  14 July 2009 : by Suzanne Griffin (UK)

Newquay to Gatwick return. I was carrying a lot of medication for the trip and stated this. Still my cabin luggage was examined in detail - something that did not occur either with my cross channel airline or domestic flight in Canada. On the return journey we were about 3kg overweight and were gleefully told we had to pay excess - even though another passenger stepped forward and said she had no luggage and we could use her allowance. Flight missed slot so had to wait 10 minutes on the runway. Much time spent at Plymouth to change crews. New pilot refused to take off as ground crew overfilled with fuel. We had to then wait while another plane was fueled and then transfer. My first trip with Air South West - but not much choice in Cornwall. No complaints about cabin crew - polite and helpful.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  8 July 2009 : by Dan Ross (UK)

LCY-NQY-LCY via PLY. Great little airline, with a great crew. Ontime out of LCY. About 10 mins late out of Newquay due to storms in Plymouth. Very reasonable buy on board food prices. Very fun and bubbly flight attendants who seem to enjoy their jobs and it shows. Great journey that made the trip to Cornwall very easy! Would do it again.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  13 June 2009 : by R Anderson (UK)

Newquay to London City return. Both flights 90 minutes late due to earlier technical problems. Check in staff at LCY not good - lack of smiles and no seat selection. Cabin crew and service on both sectors good. This is the second time I have used this service and was delayed before. I wonder if Air Southwest are doing too many flights with too little aircraft ?

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  5 May 2009 : by Steve Garrett

3 Star Rating

Plymouth to LGW - we had boarded the aircraft which then suffered a pump failure as engines were being started. Sat on board as various engineers tinkered with the aircraft to be then told by the Captain that the aircraft was out of service. Luckily for us, there was a spare aircraft at Plymouth and we flew on to Gatwick via Newquay arriving less than one hour late. I do wonder if the fleet of DASH 8's is getting on a bit and suffering more technical problems than it should?

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  1 May 2009 : by P Dyer

1 Star Rating

Booked to Newquay from Bristol, but flown to Plymouth, then road transport. I paid for an onward rail-journey out of my own pocket in order to escape the ensuing chaos. Communication by ground staff wasn't poor - it was non-existent! Cabin-crew rather curt ("what are we supposed to do if aircraft goes tech in LBA etc"). Answer - pPerhaps maintain your aircraft better or get some more reliable ones. Preferably both. First flight with Air Southwest - possibly the last.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  28 April 2009 : by R Anderson

3 Star Rating

Sunday evening flight from Newquay to London City via Plymouth. The flight was delayed one hour due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft. Check in not asked if I would like a window or aisle, given a seat at the front. Had to ask for a seat of my choice near the back of the cabin. This was not the fault of the airline as they use a handling agent at Newquay and they seem to lack experience. Usual friendly and efficient cabin crew but due to the delay and the ground handling I can only give three stars at this time.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  15 April 2009 : by R Anderson

5 Star Rating

0720 departure from Newquay to Gatwick left on time and arrived fifteen minutes early. Had a coffee and a cereal bar. Reasonable priced at 2.70. Cabin crew friendly and proffesional. You are not charged for extras, when you book this includes 20kg checked baggage and seat selection at check in. Now that BA have pulled off the route Air Southwest is the best between Newquay and Gatwick.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  16 March 2009 : by E Ferguson

1 Star Rating

I booked a return trip Newquay to Gatwick when travelling from Heathrow to Australia, because my travelling companion wanted to do this, but my opinion was that the train would be less hassle. The outward trip was successful, although I had worries about whether it would fly if the weather was bad, as so many people told me they had had problems regarding this. On the return journey, I travelled all the way with other airlines with no problems regarding my baggage, until I reached Gatwick and checked in with Air Southwest. I had 3 bottles of wine in my hold baggage which put me a bit overweight, so they insisted I paid excess baggage even though the plane was not full. We waited a long time to board with no communication as to when we were taking off, and then once up in the air, the pilot said we would go to Plymouth, but we would then have to have a coach to Newquay because of fog. So I was charged excess baggage, which none of the other airlines did, and only flew for part of the journey. It would have been worse if it had happened on the outward journey with a longhaul flight to catch, but I just wish I had gone by train now, and I certainly won't fly Air Southwest again.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  6 January 2009 : by Stephen Garrett

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

I have not always been kind to this airline, especially after having been dumped at Gatwick last summer due to a cancelled flight. But, I have flown with them a couple of times since and have had no problems whatsoever. You even get to see the same flight crew occasionally which is sort of comforting. However, flyBe are soon to fly Newquay to Gatwick and the fare is one third of that from Air Southwest. I know the prices will creep up in time but in this day and age, one has to seek the best deal from LGW to the West Country. I will be interested to see if Air Southwest respond and bring their prices down to match flyBe.

AIR SOUTHWEST customer review :  28 October 2008 : by S Baxter

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

Newquay to Gatwick. Pleasant flight, and arrived 25 minutes early. Friendly, experienced cabin crew. Plenty of legroom on board Dash 8 aircraft, though main problem is that this small aircraft is extremely noisy on board - you need earplugs to concentrate on what you are reading! Nevertheles

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  11 October 2008 : by P Jamieson

1 Star Rating

I checked in to the flight at Glasgow airport at approximately 1600, bound for Plymouth. Upon boarding the aircraft at 1730 the Pilot informed us that there would be a change to the route for ‘Operational Reasons’. The flight would now be routed via Leeds Bradford, Bristol and Newquay before eventually landing in Plymouth approximately one hour later then scheduled. Prior to arrival in Bristol the Pilot informed us that those passengers bound for Plymouth would have to change aircraft, as a direct flight to Plymouth was available. Passengers scheduled to fly to Newquay were to remain on the aircraft. Upon landing at Bristol we were moved from the aircraft to the departures lounge. Immediately on arrival in the departures lounge we were told that we would now be boarding a new flight that would depart Bristol at 2135 (one hour later) and would operate via Newquay. Prior to boarding the new aircraft at 2135 it was announced that the aircraft would only stop at Newquay due to adverse weather conditions and that ground transportation would take us the remainder of the journey to Plymouth. The flight itself to Newquay was far from comfortable, with the Pilot himself admitting that we may have to divert to Exeter if he could not land successfully in Newquay, owing to the poor weather. Furthermore the condition inside the plane was poor, my overhead light was cracked and held together by sellotape and the seat pocket was filled with rubbish. The flight eventually landed in Newquay, we were transferred to a coach and finally arrived in Plymouth at approximately midnight. (4 hours later then scheduled)

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  29 September 2008 : by A Loveday

5 Star Rating

Bristol to Leeds Bradford. I was impressed and flight crew are some of the nicest I have come across. Both outbound and return flights were on time, despite thick fog in Leeds. Few more routes and you got it cracked - just hope with the current gloomy economy Air Southwest manage to keep flying.

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  23 September 2008 : by T Jeans

5 Star Rating

MAN-NQY. Can't fault this flight. On this route, you are transferred at Bristol to a Leeds originating flight. Very well handled, but not great for the mobility-impaired. Excellent cabin crew who genuinely took an interest in their passengers, and more than made up for the basic drinks service. Flights to NQY always seem full, and you can see why.

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  28 August 2008 : by A Bailey

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to Newquay - check in to after security in lounge 6 minutes! Departed on time arrived on time, full flight, reasonable buy on board, friendly and smart crew. Another good flight on Air Southwest.

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  13 August 2008 : by James Fox

3 Star Rating

I have made several flights on Air Southwest in the last year. None have left on time, which has been inconvenient but not disastrous, but the feature on every flight has been the complete lack of communication from the airline. No guidance has been given as to whether the delay would be half an hour or four hours. On one occasion we were boarded on to a plane flown by a different airline, Titan, a 737 which was unable to land at Plymouth. The good news was that the crews were all pleasant and could speak English, unlike Ryanair.

AIR SOUTHWEST review :  7 August 2008 : by David Perman

5 Star Rating

LGW-NQY-LGW I fly this route on a regular commute to and from work on Monday mornings and Friday evenings and in 3 months have had little difficulty. Dash 8 aircraft used on this route are excellent, plenty of leg room. Cabin crew friendly and helpful.

1 2