SATA Internacional Passenger Reviews and SATA International Customer Trip Reports

SATA International passenger guide

SATA International Passenger Trip Reports

SATA International Lounge Reviews

SATA International Aircraft Seat Plans

SATA International Economy class seat reviews

SATA Internacional Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Campagnolo Steve    (Canada)

Toronto-Portugal. Checked in on time at YYZ. Went to the gate, flight boarded but we sat for almost 3 hours on board. No water etc or care. Disembarked and informed the flight was cancelled. Hotel and meal vouchers provided. Forced to make my own way to hotel and arrived there at 0530hrs, no other alternatives offered, no rebooking etc. Went back to airport the next night for a 2200hrs departure. Two flights from SATA forced confusion. Police called to the gate so deal with distraught passengers. In the air finally at 2300hrs. Landed at 0600hrs in Ponta Delgado. No connections until 1830hrs, no hotel offered, no meals. Finally arrived in Porto on Sunday at 2200hrss having meant to arrive on Saturday 1100hrs. In total a 36 hour delay. Never again. The planes were old, the food almost inedible.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  31 March 2014 by S Walford    (Canada)

SATA Internacional Customer review :  23 October 2013 by John Sao Marcos    (USA)

Recently flew Lisbon to Boston on SATA - flight crew (cabin crew) were courteous, helpful and highly respectful of all ages, especially a large number of elderly aboard! The aircraft was exceptional in that it was clean and comfortable, having flown to Europe a number of times on other flagged aircraft - none equalled the quality of SATA!

SATA Internacional Customer review :  16 October 2013 by P Salomons    (Canada)

Our family of 2 adults and two small children had a huge problem with the crew on SATA. It started once we passed security, we sat down at the gate and I looked at our boarding passes and I realized both kids both under 4 were seated together at the back of the plane while my husband and I were seated at bulk head seating, I tried to explain the situation and was rudely told "you can figure it out once you board". Once onboard I spoke to the crew about the situation, they told us the flight was full and there was nothing they could do and we weren't allowed to switch with anyone. Eventually a group of wonderful people helped us. Not a good start to our flight. Never again.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  20 September 2013 by B Matos    (Canada)

We travelled recently with SATA from Toronto to Sao Miguel during the flooding in Toronto. It was obviously quite a challenge getting to the airport and once we got there the Terminal was in complete Chaos. The SATA staff were wonderful and helped us in getting our friends teenager from a connecting flight in term 1 to term 3 and onto the flight as expediently as possible.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  2 August 2013 by M Jason    (Canada)

Toronto to Lisbon. Left Toronto on time, although aircraft seemed old and run down. Once in the air leg space and distance between seats was unacceptable for an international flight with no air conditioning. Air crew made the flight even more miserable with all of them being miserable. On the return flight everything turned into a nightmare, arriving in Lisbon, flight had been delayed to 8.00 pm rather than our 1pm departure. Given food vouchers and told we would have a hotel upon arrival in Toronto. Once at the gate our flight changed to 11pm departure, then back to 8. Finally departed at 11.30pm from Lisbon. The crew were very nice and helpful during the flight. Our connecting flight carrier, Westjet had clearly seen this with SATA in the past of connections not being met because of lateness, the Westjet check in staff member in Pearson said it was a common sight. I will refuse to take SATA again.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  25 July 2013 by M Grapnel    (Canada)

2 bad experiences. Toronto to Lisbon return in March 2013. Seats extremely close together. No leg room. Seat ahead of me was able to be reclined far back so the rude passenger in front of me had her head in my lap for the entire daytime return trip to Toronto. Flight attendants took the position that if the seat reclined that far, she had every right to sit in it that way. Seats were broken down and upholstery very worn out so that the seat was uncomfortable in the extreme and caused back ache. There was a big mix up with my luggage during flight change in Lisbon. They claimed that my luggage was not indicated as being on the plane. I spent the 3 hours in Lisbon airport trying to solve this problem with no solution available. In the end, they let me onto the Toronto bound flight and my luggage was there on arrival. Obviously the luggage count was wrong! So much for luggage security.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  9 July 2013 by S Whelan    (Canada)

Terrible Customer Service. Supposed to leave Toronto on 14 June 2013 at 6.40 pm.- instead we left on 15 June at 11.00 am due to a work refusal by the cabin crew. On the return, we were supposed to leave Lisbon at 6.40pm on 28 June - but finally left at 11.30 pm. The Duty Free in Toronto was removed 1 hour before they announced that the flight was delayed - and only 1 hour later did they decide to start to prepare for hotels etc. They knew for several hours that we were not going to leave yet no one from SATA was around - just local ground employees. When we arrived in Lisbon, there was no one to help us - after midnight. The SATA booth was closed when we arrived.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  28 May 2013 by Jani Jansen    (Netherlands)

Worst 2 flights, with an overall 26 hour delay. Only informed about the delay (on both flights) at the time of departure. Fully checked in and waiting at the airport for hours before they told us the plane was delayed. On the flight from Amsterdam to Sao Miguel, after waiting for 3 hours at the airport, we were told at boarding time at the gate that the plane hadn't even left the island yet, so that it wasn't coming until the next day. Add to that that the planes were old, the seats were uncomfortable, the flight attendants hardly spoke English (although they were friendly - albeit not helpful) and the food was terrible. I fly a lot, and the SATA flights seemed like a good deal, but I'll never fly SATA again.

SATA Internacional Customer review :  5 May 2013 by Chris Triggs    (Canada)

Worst airline I have flown. Online check-in requires entry of visa information, even where a visa is not required. I called to inquire about this, and was told to just enter a string of zeros to complete check-in. Plane is tired and very uncomfortable. We ended up caught by SATA's April 23-25, 2013 airline strike. The airline confirmed us (I have the printed confirmation sheets) on a new return flight on April 26, and we changed our (separately booked) connecting flights, at our cost, on the basis of that information. SATA subsequently, without any notice, changed the return flight to April 27, requiring us to again change our connecting flights at further cost. SATA was entirely unsympathetic. Our return flight which should have been Ponta Delgada direct to Toronto, was routed through Boston, requiring us to re-check bags, go through US customs, etc. (and adding 4 hours travel time). In Boston, apparently SATA had neglected to inform security of our flight, so security initially refused to allow us through with Ponta Delgada-Toronto tickets; this took over half an hour to resolve. When we reboarded the plane, it was a mess, as no cleaning was done while it was on the ground. Terrible airline.

SATA Internacional customer review :  26 September 2012 by Michael Stetter   (Germany)

LIS-PDL: Funny enough we had to claim and re-check our bags in LIS (arriving from MUC with TP) even so the SATA Flight operated on a TP code y1px.gif" width="736" height="1">

SATA Internacional customer review :  24 September 2012 by Alexios Doukas   (Germany)

SATA Internacional customer review :  4 September 2012 by D Andrade   (USA)

Munich - Ponta Delgada and return; stop-over in Porto. Both flights departed on time and arrived slightly ahead of schedule. The crews were caring, friendly and professional. Basic in-flight entertainment (music, film/short videos and information regarding the Azores) which is more than enough for the time one spends on-board. Full meap: 0; margin-bottom: 8px"> Recommended:

Our trip from Boston to P.Delgada was ok except for the cramped seating and rude service from flight attendants. On the way back to Boston from P.Delgada was a nightmare for any parent travelling with a 5 yr old boy. They boarded us on time, we took our seats and then waited and waited! Finally after an hour and no take off, SATA informed us that we were waiting on 30 passengers that were still in Santa Maria. My son had started to become inpatient after about an hour and a half so I asked if we could go back into the airport with my child to stretch a little and the attendant told me no. They didn't even play a movie for us. After about 2 agonizing hours the 30 passengers arrived. Finally after boarding us 2.5 hours early the plane was finally ready to take of. Employees are unprofessional and disorganized.

SATA Internacional customer review :  29 August 2012 by Linda Silveira   (USA)

We flew from Faial to Ponta Delaga for a connecting flight into Boston on 08/18/2012. We arrived in Ponta Delgada at 11.45 am and was to board a plane for Boston at 2 pm. Flight S4221 was delayed out of Lisbon and 12 hours later SATA cancelled the flight. Me, my husband and 4 year old daughter helplessly sat at the airport for 12 uneventful and agonizing hours waiting for news! At 12.30 am, they finally informed us that the flight was cancelled and they didn't have enough rooms for everyone. SATA staff should have offered vouchers to families with children first, similar to how airlines handle boarding. SATA was very little help and we were on our own. The next day, other travelers who were lucky enough to get a voucher told us that hotels didn't accept SATA's voucher and that they would have to pay the hotel and the traveller needed to get reimbursed from SATA. At the airport, SATA staff gave some of the travellers a difficult time about getting reimbursed. It was complete and utter chaos.

SATA Internacional customer review :  15 May 2012 by James Rice   (USA)

Boston to Lisbon, their version of business/first class. Unacceptable. We booked this flight as it met our needs and paid the extra for the premium seats so that we could sleep. Our seats row 3 A and C were the only ones that did not recline due to the placement of a closet. We were not allowed to move as they had given the extra seats to non revenue [employees] passengers. I have written to the company many times to complain about this issue but so far no reply.

SATA Internacional customer review :  7 February 2012 by William Nelson   (Canada)

Ponta Delgada to Toronto. As always, the crew were pleasant and helpful but dinner was terrible with no choice and very tough steaks - most were returned uneaten. Club class lounge at Ponta Delgada is poor - one step up from the past couple of years. The use of KLM in Toronto is very pleasant and Lisbon's lounge is lovely.

SATA Internacional customer review :  12 October 2011 by Rita Girzone   (Switzerland)

I flew with Sata Airlines this summer while traveling in the Azores. As there was some difficulty with the online booking of my flight, I called the airline and was assisted by a very kind and helpful representative. Unfortunately, I became ill during my trip and needed to change several flights. All customer service representatives were very courteous, attentive and helpful. The supervisor involved was also very understanding, and flexible waiving the penalties for a flight change due to illness. I very much appreciated these positive experiences with Sata Airlines.

SATA Internacional customer review :  24 August 2011 by Hannah Bale   (UK)

Flights to and from Punta Delgada, 2.5 hr delay outbound should have merited some explanation/apology from ground staff at Gatwick. New plane was comfortable and flight crew friendly and efficient. A shame then that ground handling at Manchester was so awful. Given that this is a weekly flight there should be a better system for dealing with transit passengers.

SATA Internacional customer review :  26 July 2011 by F Stein   (USA)

We found SATA to be better than the major international carriers from the US to Europe. New planes, comfortable seats, good food and excellent friendly service. We took off and landed on time.

SATA Internacional customer review :  21 July 2011 by S Rasmussen   (Denmark)

CPH-FNC return. All flights on time with no delays. Food service was not bad, but certainly not of a good standard. You must pay for alcoholic drinks, this is OK, but prices are unfair. Cabin Attendants were uninterested and not enthusiastic about service. Security procedures in focus.

SATA Internacional customer review :  18 September 2010 by A Medeiros   (USA)

I flew through Lisbon to S. Miguel. The flight from Lisbon was delayed for hours with no reasonable explanation given. However, the most disturbing thing was the attitude of the SATA staff in Lisbon - the most unprofessional personnel I've come across. It was like they were doing passengers a favor by answering our questions and doing their jobs. If they dislike customers and customer service so much, they should find another job. Wish there was another airline flying to the Azores. SATA is unjustifiably expensive, but in order to avoid these guys, I'd be willing to pay a little extra.

SATA Internacional customer review :  15 August 2010 by A Silva   (Canada)

YYZ-PDL-YYZ on old A310. SATA use KLM Airlines Lounge in YYZ which is a top notch facility. Outbound flight was clean and uneventful. FA staff on executive class was friendly and interactive. Meals good and service excellent. We were the third flight arriving on PDL within minutes of each other, two of which from YYZ. PDL is undergoing extensive renovations, passengers were bussed to the terminal. The nightmare began when only two custom officials were available to handle three flights, whilst the automatic digital passport reader on the express lane was out of order. Custom officials did their best to expedite procedures, but SATA ground crew were totally worthless. SATA older A310s are configured to carry 222 passengers, with only 18 on executive class. Although one pays CND$200 extra for the privilege of traveling first class, there is nothing executive about the more spacious 2-2-2 seating arrangement. Upholstery is old and uncomfortable and the entertainment systems (TV and audio) did not work, nor did the inflight map. SATA Executive Lounge in PDL is a little room with few couches with a tiny bar without an attendant and a padlocked refrigerator. I asked one the two attendants at the reception desk if she had cold beer, to with she replied yes. And that was that. FA was the same as two weeks earlier.

SATA Internacional customer review :  22 July 2010 by L Silva   (Canada)

Poor value for the money paid. Two out of three flights taken on the trip were late. Check-in staff in Lisbon were slow. Inadequate meals for transatlantic flights - one hot meal and a muffin. Staff in Ponta Delgada rude and uninformed. I had a question regarding Tax- free claims and was directed to a counter in the SATA lounge. The girl in the lounge then said this was not the spot to go and had no idea about Tax Free program. In the end, the customs agent came in and told her it was her responsibility to call customs to come over and assist in the matter. During the transatlantic flight to Toronto, a male flight attendant was trying to pick up one of the passengers for an evening flight. He would stop and talk to these ladies sitting behind me every 10 mins and spent 20mins talking to them while the other attendants worked. During a 7 hr flight they show 1 movie and the remainder of the time self promoting ads run on the ancient overhead TVs. The only bonus was I got to my destination safely.

SATA Internacional customer review :  21 April 2010 by Maria Pinto   (UK)

My flight to Manchester from Ponta Delgada was cancelled at short notice and staff at the airport in Ponta Delgada were rude, unhelpful and quite arrogant and literally abandoned the passengers. As others have stated, as soon as there is a problem they refuse to help, their website is not good. Customer Service call centre promises to call you back within 48 hours? This is the only airline flying in and out of the islands to the UK (TAP codeshare - which is a convenient joke). You feel trapped as there is no sense of justice trying to deal with an airline which has a monopoly. When you do get to speak with a senior member of staff as I did with several other passengers they laugh in your face and are not at all sincere or interested. All in all very disappointing and I am still grounded with no support or help after five days.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  21 January 2010 : by D Freitas   (Portugal)

I think their service has been getting better. Crew are sympathetic and attentive One thing they could improve is food. The website is very accessible, easy to use and you can book your own seat on their planes - although you can't book it in code-share flights with TAP.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  30 November 2009 : by David Linhares   (UK)

NoEconomy

I also have complained to SATA with reference to the cancellation at short notice of my flight London / Manchester to Ponta Delgada and they also have failed to reply to me, even although i have called them several times. This airline has a Customer Service department which really is not good at dealing with issues which inconvenience passengers. Whborder="0">

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  18 November 2009 : by Patrick Tierney   (UK)

Yet again SATA has cancelled its London / Manchester to Ponta Delgada flights with little notice and making no effort to assist passengers who have had to either cancel their plans completely, or alternatively book expensive last minute flights between London via Lisbon which means they fully benefit from the ticket between Lisbon and Ponta Delgada. I have complained about the situation to Customer Services (they don't know the meaning of the word) and the European Commission as have my friends, and no one as usual receives a reply from the airline. Please be aware that this company has a complete monopoly on certain routes in and out of these islands (sometimes with a TAP codeshare) and you are at their mercy. They do not respond to complaints properly (or at all in many cases) particularly if something is serious. Open competition will come to these routes soon and maybe then this airline will have to treat its customers with respect. If you do actually fly with them on a flight you will find service standards to be good.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  14 October 2009 : by W Gordon   (UK)

LGW-PDL-LGW. One flight a week from Gatwick to Ponta Delgada. Very friendly crew on outbound and return, meals adequate, drinks adequate. Staff in Ponta Delgada very helpful. Good value flights, shame that their Euro 50 last minute upgrade didn't apply to London legs. Business was empty both ways.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  1 September 2009 : by Francisco Alves   (USA)

A310-300 flight from PDL to BOS. The aircraft had to detour to Santa Maria because fuel in PDL was contaminated. The flight to BOS was torture : cabin was very hot and there was no effort to cool it down. There are no individual air blowers for each passenger so things became miserable. Passengers were using magazines to try and cool off and turning the light fixtures thinking that they were air controls. The pitch between seats was very small (I was unable to read a book when the passenger in front pushed back their seat). On a long flight from the Azores to Boston there was one meal and one beverage service in economy. The sound systems for passengers was not working so no one was able to listen to the movie not tune in audio channels. The crew sat in the back and chatted.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  17 August 2009 : by A O'Mahoney   (Ireland)

YesEconomy

Dublin to Faro return on a charter flight with SATA and was impressed. The staff were professional and service very good. Seats were reasonably comfortable and plane was modern. There was even a complimentary food and drink service onboard which was a pleasant surprise.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  13 July 2009 : by Dário Serrão   (Portugal)

FNC-LPA-FNC economy. The checkin was pleasant and efficient at both ends and the inflight service perfectly acceptable. The seats gave me enough room even though I am over 6ft. Crew professional. All in all the experience was better than I expected and I would be happy to fly SATA again.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  27 June 2009 : by Sergio Soares   (Portugal)

I have travelled between Lisbon and Punta Cana and both trips were ok. The crew was quite sympathetic. The seats were comfortable and the movies that were played during both flights were good. Both flights were on time.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  26 May 2009 : by D Freitas  (Portugal)

I use them frequently between Madeira Island and Lisbon. Their product is better than TAP or SATA Internacional. Food better than standard, attentive cabin crew, confortable chairs and generally on time. Only thing they can improve is by making some renovations in their planes as they are already showing their age.

SATA INTERNACIONAL  review :  17 March 2009 : by Paul Turner  (UK)

Manchester to Ponta Delgada return. We were pleasantly surprised. Both flights left and arrived on time. Although there was no choice, the food was good and tasty. The cabin crew were excellent and looked as though they enjoyed their jobs. Seat pitch was better than many European carriers I have used. IFE a dead loss. If entertainment is important to you, bring your own.