PAGE loading ... please wait!

SATA Air Azores Customer Reviews and SATA Air Azores Passenger Trip Reports

SATA Air Azores Business class seat reviews

SATA Air Azores Lounge Reviews

SATA Air Azores Aircraft Seat Plans

SATA Air Azores Economy class seat reviews

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  2 September 2014 by G Golditch    (USA)

August 8 flight from BOS to LIS. Flight left BOS 90 minutes late and no updates were provided while waiting. We fly business class on SATA, however Business class service has go down in quality. In flight meals not as good as they were years ago. Fight was okay, however planes could use some updating. LIS to BOS flight was fine, less than a half-hour delay. Overall, okay.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Linda Sayers    (UK)

I flew Gatwick - Ponta Delgada in June 2014. There was a delay in departing but nothing excessive. However, the in-flight service was poor, painfully slow in fact and to add to this irritation the fact that the food was disgusting. My payment was accepted for an alcoholic drink, however, no change given. It is their policy to reimburse passengers after they have finished the final clear up, but unfortunately we were not told this and I had the embarrassment of having to request my change from E10 as I eventually concluded it must have been an oversight. Rather expensive flights, especially internally. However, there is no option as I understand that they have an agreed fare tariff with TAP! It seems that pets are not allowed to travel from the UK. Upon enquiry I was told that this was UK Government legislation. Having contacted DEFRA regarding this they claim it is down to the airline. Tried customer service for assistance, but no response. However, they have been helpful on other occasions.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Michael McGinnin    (USA)

On a recent flight to Terceira from Logan, plane 4 hours late for departure. No explanation was ever given for delay, warm soda and bags of chips were provided at the last minute for the weary, hungry passengers. On return trip from Terceira I requested a window seat, but was disappointed to find that I was given a center seat instead. Cabin was extremely warm, seats were crowded, overhead air vents were not working, earplug jacks were non- functional. Flight attendants were grumpy. Upon touchdown at Logan, everyone erupted into an applause, must have been because they actually arrived on time for a change. Why is this the only airline allowed into the Azores? They need competition to bring down the prices and improve the service.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Michael McGinnin    (USA)

Recently returned from a one week vacation to Terceira, Azores. Plane was supposed to depart out of Logan at 10.15pm, as soon as I entered the airport I was greeted by a delay until 1.15am, did not take off until 2am. No reason was ever given for the 4 hour delay (weather was perfect), however upon talking to other passengers I found out it was due to mechanical difficulties of the scheduled plane, and a substitute plane had to be sent out. Adding insult to injury, no attempt to give us food vouchers was made. The last hour before departure, the SATA staff dragged out a few cases of warm soda, bags of chips and cookies. On the return flight to Logan (#4231), I had requested a window seat, instead what I got was a center seat. The overhead air vents were broken, and the cabin temperature was very warm. I alerted the flight attendants twice about these conditions, and their response was that we cannot repair the vents now, as the plane was in flight. A movie was provided so I decided to plug in my earphones and check it out; the jack connection was flimsy and kept falling out, all I would get is intermittent static. Both the outside and interior of this plane looked very used and in need of maintenance. To their credit, we did arrive on time.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Eduard Maduro    (USA)

Flew Oakland-Terceira on Aug 5 2014, flight 236. Well aware of the cramped space in economy class, I paid over 2K for an executive seat, extra leg room and supposed extra comfort on an 11 hour flight. Instead, this is what a two thousand dollar "Executive Class”service you get from Oakland to Terceira: 1) The flight had a departure of Aug 4th but it was delayed 27 hours, one vacation day lost! 2) My executive seat was not functioning! From Oakland to Toronto (approx. 5.5 hours) I was unable to recline my seat! 3) In Toronto they made minimal effort to repair the seat but to no avail. I did discover how to manually make my seat recline, however the foot rest never fully opened up. 4) The meal from Oakland to Toronto was substandard, at best, however it was much better than the cold sandwich served us from Toronto to Terceira (approx. 5.5 hour flight). 5) In“Executive”we are supposed to have “ priority” luggage which, supposedly means, our luggage is to be unloaded first -…mine was unloaded 1.5 hours after landing. I was the last person to leave baggage claim in Terceira! Despite SATA touting preferred service for their SATA Plus customers, those flying out of Oakland, have very little preferred service! If this is the best SATA can do in their Executive class, they have no right to charge 3x more for these seats! For the same money, I could’have bought 3 seats in economy class, had the same service and the same comfort as what I got in Executive.” The only positive aspect to my flight over was that I arrived safely.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  21 July 2014 by J Freed    (USA)

S4222, 7/5-7/6 and S4201 7/16. Beware when flying low budget airlines overseas. On the plus side, SATA did safely deliver us relatively on time to our destinations both flights. The vintage circa 1983 Airbus 310 added some adventure. Unfortunately it also added a lot of discomfort. The plane was extremely cramped and hot, with bad seats, no inflight entertainment systems, and perhaps the worst food in an industry known for bad food. What was most impressive was the absolute disdain by which SATA staff treated the passengers. I'm pretty convinced they learned to be this way through training, as there's no way so many staff in two separate cities and on one of the two flights could all be this way. The bathroom lacked toilet paper, drink carts brimming with trash and for at least two hours on the Lisbon-Boston flight, the attendants were nowhere to be seen. I loved Portugal, but next time will stick to TAP to get there!

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  6 May 2014 by S Frber    (USA)

Easily the worst airline I've ever flown. Outgoing flight from Boston was cancelled (which seems to be a recurring theme with SATA) so we lost a whole day of vacation. The plane was very old and so cramped that my knees were touching the seat in front of me - and then that person reclined his seat so that it was about a foot from my face. This might be fine for a 2 hour flight, but a flight that is almost 5 hours? It's inhuman. The food was some kind of boiled slop with mystery seafood at the bottom. I've never been picky about airline food but this was disgusting. Most people just ate the roll and left the rest. Lack of personal space made it almost impossible to actually eat. Coming back the plane was delayed an hour, it sounded as though all the SATA planes were delayed as well. People at the next gate started clapping in unison to get the staff to let them board the plane. Clearly SATA's fleet of planes is old and broken down and this causes frequent delays. This is no way to run a business.

SATA Air Azores Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Gerhard Schmid    (Germany)

19 Feb, PDL-TER. 19 Feb, TER-PIX. 24 Feb, PIX-PDL. Very quick response after contact via email. Very friendly and quick responses during the complete procedure. At the airport counters and check-ins we met friendly SATA employees as well. There is only one negative thing to talk about: The food. If I was responsible for the food on the planes - I would change the caterer immediately.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  12 March 2014 by P Borschberg   (Singapore)

Booked a TAP flight from Lisbon to Terceira that turned out to be code shared and operated by SATA. This is an underestimated airline and I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort of the seating as well as the quality of the service. I will book SATA on my next trip to the Azores.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  24 January 2014 by Stewart Walford   (Canada)

FNC-LPA. Friendly check in agent at Funchal was absolutely delightful to deal with. Flight about 15 minutes late leaving but arrived on time. Love the Q400 because it is easy on/easy off.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  16 October 2013 by Jayme Simoes   (USA)

Flew SATA from Boston to Lisbon, and then back via the Azores. All flights were on time. Food was very good. Business class is an excellent deal - just a few hundred dollars for a bigger seat w/ foot rest, departure lounge, nice meal, early boarding, all the extra touches. Inflight staff were great - on the ground staff very helpful. A great trip.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  14 October 2013 by C Diaz   (USA)

We flew from Boston to Ponta Delgada in August round-trip. The service was excellent, they served hot meals and just before landing the flight attendant passed out warm towelettes.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  14 October 2013 by Robert Metcalfe   (Canada)

Toronto to Sao Miguel, Aug 28 and return Sept 18. New alliance with West Jet helps immensely with baggage handling from Edmonton. Service by ground and in-flight staff is excellent and fully bilingual. Pleasant, hard working and highly professional. Meal okay but beverage service with wines and coffee is excellent. Seats are short for a tall person and seats are closer together compared to West Jet. Cabins clean and no apparent repairs needed. Older cabin features. For the money paid for the round trip flight, this was a great value.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  13 August 2013 by D Steegh   (Netherlands)

Amsterdam to Sao Miguel, flight S4 551, May 6. Second from Sao Miguel to Amsterdam on May 13, flight number S4 550. Flew with SATA twice, first time we had a delay of 22 hours and the second time we had a delay of almost 4 hours. Never again. The planes are pretty rickety.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  4 July 2013 by Rajeev Wijesinghe   (Canada)

Toronto-Lisbon on 6/21. Lisbon-Ponta Delgada on 6/30. Ponta Delgada - Toronto on 7/2. All of the above flights departed timely. The crew were very friendly, pleasant, and accommodating. In-flight service was excellent, including meals and beverage selections. SATA's widebody aircraft are A310's that are a little older and show some signs of age (though I'm sure they are maintained well), but overall, seats were comfortable and the aircraft cabin was clean. The in-flight entertainment systems were a little intermittent however, with a couple of screens (and several earphone jacks) not functioning properly. Luckily, my longest flight with them was only 6 hours in length. I would recommend passengers bring their own books, magazines, earphones and a smartphone or similar device for entertainment. Overall, I believe SATA provided very good service and good value - better than some 4-star airlines I have flown with.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  7 September 2011 by R Metcalfe   (Canada)

Flew to Sao Miguel from Toronto return on A310. All flights left on time. Flight crew kept passengers informed about progress including southerly route change due to Hurricane Irene. Cabin crew members were friendly, helpful and bilingual. Meal and snack on both flights were above average. Beverages included juices, coffee, tea and good Portuguese wine. On return trip, Audio for the movie (pull down screens) did not work for many seats around our section. Stopped in at SATA office in Ponta Delgada to work out a better seat selection. They were helpful and courteous. Service overall has improved over the last couple of years, disappointed with technical problems onboard but the staff and service were good.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  1 August 2011 by V Rokhlenko   (USA)

Flew Boston to Santa Maria via Ponta Delgada. Check-in in Boston was extremely slow and as a result after TSA searched my bag, there was no time to put it on my plane. Received my bag in Santa Maria 2 days after my arrival. It was impossible to find out if my bag was still in Boston or went to Lisbon. The plane was noisy and was packed with passengers. Seat width/pitch is oriented toward an average Portuguese person so for somebody above 6 feet and/or wide build seats are extremely cramped. Staff was friendly and the food was above average. Entertainment system is dated. Overall the price is pretty high for what you get. But there are no other flights direct to Azores from the US East coast.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  11 July 2011 by G Evans   (UK)

London Gatwick-Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores. The outward flight departed on time, Airbus A320 aircraft looked in an excellent condition very clean and looked brand new. Flying time 3hrs 40 mins, very smooth flight with no turbulence. The crew were very friendly and helpful. A passenger was unwell during the flight and the stewardess was very caring bringing extra drinks, cold towels and checked how she was feeling every so often. The flight was approximately three quarters full. The small complimentary baguette tasted nicer than it looked and there was a chocolate bar with tea and coffee. In addition to this there was two rounds of soft drinks, water, apple juice, orange juice etc all complimentary. Alcoholic drinks were available for a charge. The outbound flight was direct but the return flight was via Manchester. The flight left on time just after 1pm and we arrived in Manchester 10 mins early. Flight was very smooth with the same complimentary drinks and sandwiches as the outbound flight. Cabin crew were friendly and very professional. When we landed in Manchester Airport there was some confusion. We knew before hand that we had to disembark the aircraft at Manchester. Some of the passengers were unaware of this and the crew only mentioned that the Gatwick passengers had to disembark when we landed. When the cabin doors opened all of the passengers for Manchester and Gatwick stood up and the crew announced that the Gatwick passengers should sit down to let the Manchester passengers disembark first. If the crew told us this before hand it would have made life much easier. The Gatwick passengers eventually disembarked (with lots of moans and groans) and the passengers were given an in transit boarding card. Gatwick passengers had to take all of their hand luggage to the security check point, have the bags scanned and then board the same plane back to Gatwick. The whole process was ridiculous but apparently this is due to UK immigration, not SATAs fault. We departed Manchester on the same aircraft 1hr later for the 35 mins flight to Gatwick. We arrived in Gatwick over 20 mins early. Overall, very impressed with SATA. Modern aircraft, excellent timekeeping with a friendly and professional crew. I will definitely fly with them again.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  30 June 2011 by E Reagan   (USA)

Boston-PTA, Delgada-Boston. Boarding process quite good. Flights left on time. Very attentive cabin crews. Food decent. All in all, flights very good. My only complaint is with the US reservation office. Chaotic at best. They do not communicate very well. Don't bother emailing, you get no response.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  8 February 2011 by K Novo   (Toronto)

I had a flight from Toronto to Porto with a stop at Ponta Delegana. The flight was scheduled to leave at 10pm. Before leaving the house I decided to go online and check the departure times to make sure it wasn't delayed. It was delayed 2 hours - after I had got ready to leave, again checked online again and it was delayed to 2pm the following day. This enraged me as I was paying for my rented car, as I was still in Toronto. The following day it was delayed again to 3. I called Sata and it turns out that they divided the Ponta Delegana flight with the Porto flight. This meant that I would be going on a Lisbon airport the day after at 6am. It's not the first time of Sata doing this either.

SATA Air Azores customer review :  10 November 2010 by Gary Babcock   (Canada)

Toronto to Porto, then Lisbon to Ponta Delgada and Ponta Delgada to Toronto. All three flights left and arrived within a few minutes of scheduled times and flight crews were very courteous. Meals as good as any other airlines and wine was probably better. The aircraft were clean and appeared to be well maintained. They had movies during the flight, but the plane had the old style drop down TVs. The only real complaint was the flight from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada was originally scheduled for 1250, but was changed to 1630 without anyone notifying us - even though we had provided both cell phone numbers and email. As a result, we had to sit around the Lisbon airport for an extra three hours. The seats are also very close together and don't provide a lot of legroom for a long flight. Otherwise, everything else was great and we are planning to travel with SATA again.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 8 July 2010 : by Dan Gleasac

4 Star Rating

Toronto to Ponta Delgada and back, and flight was exceptional. Service on board was good, staff polite. Economy food was okay, but I bring my own food anyway. The interior seemed a bit dated, legroom was good and there were tv's with movies.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 8 June 2010 : by D Gordon

Customer Rating :  2/5

2 Star Rating

Manchester to Ponta Delgado on San Miguel in the Azores. Got no food or drink for about 3 hours (around 22.00). Had to get off in Gatwick for 1.5 hours while the plane was being cleaned and food put on. Baggage lost for 3 days for self and friend. Trying to get compensation. They won't accept receipts unless the item is named. Now I have to search for the Iban code and BIC/Swift code before we can receive anything. Another member of our crew lost his baggage the next day and 30 other bags had been lost at the same time!

SATA AIR AZORES review : 17 May 2010 : by J Evans

4 Star Rating

Manchester-Ponta Delgada return, avoiding dust situation fortunately. Preferable in-flight service to most, crew pleasant, meal and wine agreeable. Most satisfied - would look forward to further flights SATA Azores.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 26 April 2010 : by Chris Shaw

Customer Rating :  5/5

5 Star Rating

We recently travelled to Sao Miguel with 10 members of my family and had a good flight there from the UK. Unfortunately we couldn't fly back to the UK as planned due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland. SATA booked us all into a hotel and provided meals for 5 days at their expense until we could be repatriated. A First class service! Well done.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 17 June 2009 : by James Giles

1 Star Rating

Boston to Azores was on time and a fine flight, but the way back was a disaster. Our flight was supposed to take off at 5:45, got delayed to 7:45, delayed again until 8:30 and we finally took off round 10:30pm. This was not due to weather or any unforeseen circumstances, it was all SATA's doing. The flight was half full, so we think they were trying to get another feeder flight into the flight from Lisbon to make the flight more profitable. Apparently, the same thing happened to the flight earlier in the week. They covered dinner at the Ponta Delgada Airport, which was nice, but they did not cover anything else. We missed our connection in Boston, had to stay overnight (at our own cost) and pay higher fees for new tickets the next morning. They said that is was not their policy to cover any other travel issues for any of their customers, even if the issues were caused by SATA. Interesting that they promised to upgrade us to Business Class if it was available, but when the time came, they said they could not - even though seats were available. They said that there were not enough Business Class dinners and as a result, they could not let anyone sit in those seats (even if the passengers didn't care to have dinner or were OK with a Coach Class dinner). We were both surprised and astonished, but could do nothing, since they are the only carrier that goes to the Azores. We will try to avoid this airline at all costs. You should do the same, they clearly do not understand the meaning of basic customer service.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 5 June 2009 : by R Badwal

4 Star Rating

Boston to Lisbon and back. The flights were on time. Pleasant crew and food great. Felt very relaxed all the way. The price is the best you could find for this time of the year. I would recommend SATA airlines.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 1 June 2009 : by Adeline Phillips

4 Star Rating

SATA have just reduced their two weekly flights from London to PDL to one per week from June 2009, and will not be offering Winter 2009/10 flights. The situation occurred due to the excessive flight prices on average 280-350 return and is so uncompetitive that flights are running half empty. You can fly to Asia or Canada for the same price. The service on board SATA I found to be very good and quite relaxed but not reflective of the price. With a bit of foresight and good marketing this could be a very successful route. There is currently no other competition except for a code share with TAP which offers the same expensive fare. What a great shame for everyone especially the islands which are beautiful but trapped with only one uncompetitive airline living in a bygone era of state control.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 27 May 2009 : by D Freitas

Customer Rating :  2/5

2 Star Rating

I used them when travelling between Madeira and Las Palmas/Gran Canaria. Plane was a BAe, quite old and uncomfortable, although they are currently renovating their fleet. Absolutely no food except water or juices in 1.5hrs and paying a considerable expensive price. Not value for money at all.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 6 May 2009 : by David Stickland

Customer Rating :  5/5

5 Star Rating

Manchester to Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel. Sadly the plane was less than one-fifth full. They deserve better. The crew were attentive, very pleasant and very helpful with a never-ending supply of free drinks as well as an adequate meal. I would definitely travel with SATA again.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 6 April 2009 : by C Rowland

4 Star Rating

Manchester to Ponta Delgada via Gatwick. Crew friendly and onboard service was excellent. Newspapers, meals and drinks all included in the price of 175 return. I had a nice Portuguese wine and was offered a second drink. On the return, the chicken was a bit overcooked but other than that, 2 enjoyable flights - something that is rare these days.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 21 November 2008 : by M Assis

4 Star Rating

SATA My husband & I flew to the Acores return. The flight crews were helpful and pleasant and food was what you would expect on a flight. When winds did not allow our flight from Faial to Flores to depart, we were put up in and excellent hotel where SATA paid for all meals and accommodation. Outstanding service!

SATA AIR AZORES review : 10 October 2008 : by Augustine Camara

4 Star Rating

I fly to San Miguel a minimum of two times a year. Overall, I find the service good. However, pricing of the fare is substantial given the distance, 4.5 hour flight and summer rates averaging in access of $800. Winter rates are within the affordable range. If the Azorean government is serious about promoting tourism in the Azores, it needs to aggressively address the monopolistic status it grants Azores Express. By having another airline share this lucrative route, travelers will have selection of service and potentialy enjoy lower airfares. This could translate in increase tourism to the Azores.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 6 October 2008 : by Patrick Tierney

4 Star Rating

Several years ago I made a very negative submission about this airline. I now travel monthly with them from London Gatwick direct to Ponta Delgada. The service is now good and a great improvement. The only negative is with reference to the price of tickets which are still outrageously high. Another curious experience is the use of Christmas music being played even in high summer? If you send an e-mail with reference to an enquiry they can take up to a month to reply in awful cut and paste English, with little comment on the initial complaint or request - call them instead!

SATA AIR AZORES review : 18 September 2008 : by J van den Berg

4 Star Rating

Recently flew Sata Internacional from Amsterdam tot Ponta Delegada and return and the experience was very good. On time, clean and modern A320 aircraft and friendly staff. Free newspapers, headsets, hot meal and bar service. Inter island flights with SATA Air Azores were mostly slightly delayed and are basic with free seating and no inflight service whatsoever (except for the occasional local newspaper), but got us from A to B safely.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 18 September 2008 : by Sandro Parranca

1 Star Rating

Me and my wife went on a trip from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada. Our experience was poor. For a 346 Euros (one-way) each person on a 2 hours flight a bad sandwich was served, the flight attendants made a big effort on smiling and the planes are very old. The bad news is that they are the only airline that flies to S.Miguel.

SATA AIR AZORES review : 12 September 2008 : by M Vanderhorst

1 Star Rating

Flew out of Toronto direct flight to Sao Miguel- three hours late. Gate change occurred due to late takeoff. When announcement was made for passengers to board, there were no Sata personnel to board the passengers. Much confusion was evident. Onboard, the cabin crew were miserable and rude to passengers. Little attempt was made to speak English to those passengers who did not speak Portuguese. The meal was not hot, nor tasty, best part of the meal was the dinner roll and the wine. Most likely will be the last time I fly Sata. There are other airlines who fly direct.

SATA Air Azores review - by E Silva

16 April 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

I've flown recently from Horta to Ponta Delgada and Terceira. All flights were on time. The onboard service is great but ground service is terrible. The check in service is slow, staff in Ponta Delgada are the rudest ever.

SATA Air Azores review - by A Isaacman

11 April 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

Toronto - Faro round trip for third time. Even though 2-4-2 seating, it was cramped. Meals can be good or terrible (not heated properly) - it seems to depend on cabin crew. The snack of a meal bar is a joke - alternative seems to be a ham and cheese sandwich. The return flight this year was through Porto. SATA justs dumps you there for 1 hour or so.