SAA South African Airways Passenger Reviews and SAA Customer Trip Reports

South African Airways Customer review :  19 May 2012 by Kenneth Blackman    (UK)

Heathrow to Johannesburg. Disappointed to find that although I had asked for an aisle seat due to a medical condition, I was put into a window seat both ways. Meals and drinks were ok! Inflight entertainment was fine, but having got to JHB, found that they had sent my luggage to Cape Town I was not amused. Took 3 days to get it back requiring multiple phone calls. When I asked them for another quote for a flight this coming December they couldn't even do that, I'm now comfortably booked with Lufthansa, SAA certainly know how to lose customers.

South African Airways Customer review :  14 May 2012 by Derek Salter    (South Africa)

Economy flight on 11 May New York to Johannesburg - 14 hour flight. Comfortable seats, great entertainment system, reasonable food. But it was the crew that made it. Pleasant, efficient and helpful. Regular visits with water and snacks between the two main meals - and they kept the toilets clean. They were excellent.

South African Airways Customer review :  11 May 2012 by Felicity Nicholls-Andre    (UK)

LHR-JNB, JNB-ELS return. Connection boarding pass issued in London which made it much quicker and less stressful. Staff very attentive throughout the flights, offering plenty of fluids. Food good and nice to be given better cutlery than most other airlines. Touch screen entertainment much better and easier to use. All in all, I was very impressed and will fly SAA as my first choice of airline.

South African Airways Customer review :  9 May 2012 by Derek Salter    (South Africa)

CPT-LHR - 27 April. New airbus plane - very comfortable with great IFE. Cape Town based crew - excellent and far better than the ones I have met recently when flying from Johannesburg. Good food and bar service. On time. A very pleasant 12 hour flight.

South African Airways Customer review :  9 May 2012 by B Jansen    (Australia)

I booked a seat for my wife and a bassinet for son to fly from South Africa to Perth, Australia. We were not given the bassinet as promised and paid for, my wife had to hold my son in her lap for the duration of the flight. Because of this she was not able to enjoy her meals, not able to sleep comfortably and even had to hand my son to a stranger so she could go to the toilet. We were also told that since she had an infant, the pram would be "last on, first off". This was not true, she then still had to carry him for another hour or so, get though customs and only got the pram while collecting her luggage. Staff were absolutely useless and unhelpful.

South African Airways Customer review :  8 May 2012 by C Oelofse    (South Africa)

ORT-JFK - a long tiring flight and I am ashamed of the service that passengers received from cabin staff. All staff had the same bad attitude, could not smile or assist in anyway. At the beginning of the flight, it was mentioned that they were on duty for the duration of the flight, but I have to say, that after the initial meal had been served we did not see them again until an hour or so before they handed out breakfast. My 4 year old grand daughter became hungry during the long interval between the two meals, we were told - sorry there is nothing that they can offer to eat! If I had known this, we would have taken snacks onboard with us.

South African Airways Customer review :  3 May 2012 by M Shah    (Kenya)

NB-JNB-PER Return in Business Class. All 4 flights were excellent. The service was very good, and food was also very good (though many dishes ex. JNB repeat). The lie flat seats are even better now with the mattress pad. Slept a solid 7-8 hours on each long haul flight. The crew were very attentive. In JNB they need fast track for J passengers.

South African Airways Customer review :  3 May 2012 by C Cutts    (UK)

CPT-JNB. Business class seat 2A, 737-800, flight lasting just around 2 hours. Seat comfortable, similar layout to European airlines for short haul business class. Boarding quick although due to luggage offload, flight delayed. Small meal served but nothing like the food served on SAA international flights. Flight arrived on time, however spent another 30 min getting to the remote stand and bussed to the terminal which left little time to make my connection. Perhaps not worth the extra from economy fare!

South African Airways Customer review :  1 May 2012 by C Cutts    (UK)

LHR-CPT A330-200 Business Class. Check-in at Heathrow simple and quick used *A lounge in terminal 1 which was fine. Boarding by class and seat number again very quick, seat was pretty comfortable both for sitting relaxing and sleeping; however the cabin did seem a little cramped! I had dinner and breakfast and I must say both the crew service and food where top notch. Flight arrived 10 min early, baggage was on the belt shortly after immigration! My only real gripe is the VOD for the 3rd time on a SAA flight my monitor did not work. Crew tried to re-boot but nothing.

South African Airways Customer review :  1 May 2012 by C Ciraulo    (USA)

OR JNB to JFK. Airbus A346. Equipment was spotlessly clean and attendants were quite attentive. The food was as good as airline food can be, perhaps a little better. Seats were very comfortable. The flight on time. Check-in was done expeditiously and personnel were efficient. I feel that this is an above-average airline and would not hesitate to fly SAA again.

South African Airways Customer review :  28 April 2012 by Christopher Horrocks    (USA)

J'burg to Washington DC. 18 hours of pure hell squashed into a tiny seat, and could not lower the armrests without cutting into my side. I am not very large or overweight, but could not get the slightest bit comfortable. The aisles were so narrow it was almost impossible to move around without bumping into a seated passenger.

South African Airways Customer review :  26 April 2012 by Gerd Pagel    (Portugal)

Somebody needs to place a warning about SAAs practice to overbook flights. In my case we are a family of 4 and on a flight from Johannesburg to Windhoek we were held by staff at the check-in counter for 45 minutes to ensure that we could not reach the gate in time. Only when the gate was closed we got our boarding pass. Only after many hours of discussion with the transfer desk and the supervisor on duty we got the hotel voucher and a flight the following day. At the hotel we encountered many fellow passengers who were bumped from their flights to London and Frankfurt including families with small children.

South African Airways Customer review :  25 April 2012 by Margaret White    (USA)

Johannesburg-Washington DC through Senegal. This 18 hour flight would have been so much better had there been any leg room at all. I am only 5'3" and my knees were jammed against the seat in front. When the seat in front was reclined, it was only a few inches from my face, so I could not watch the video screen without reclining my seat as well. There was no food left by the time they reached my row for breakfast, so we had bits and pieces put together for us. Flight over from JFK direct to Johannesburg was much better!

South African Airways Customer review :  24 April 2012 by G Slater    (UK)

LHR-JNB-CPT-LHR. Mainly business except domestic flight in economy. Flights were good and service exceptional. Flight out to Johannesburg - very attentive service, each passenger in cabin addressed by surname, flat beds very good with bedding supplied, food good as well with IFE - although could be wider variety. Cabin full but staff and service levels high. Domestic flight JNB-CPT was excellent. Hot meal served and good drinks. CPT-LHR on new A330-200 was also very restful and flat beds too. Excellent IFE and good food with winces. SAA have really upped their service levels and this bodes well for the future.

South African Airways Customer review :  24 April 2012 by S Stegmann    (USA)

The amount of room I had in economy was unbelievable, I could not move my legs or arms without hitting the lady sitting next to me. Flight attendants come around a lot with drinks and food was on time. Food wasn't great. On the return, the inflight entertainment was pretty good. You could select movies/TV shows/games with a touch screen. Seats were so uncomfortable I had to bunch up my blanket and sit on that to make it not hurt so much.

South African Airways Customer review :  23 April 2012 by B Whittingham    (Australia)

Perth to Cape Town. Characterised by IFE not working on some seats. Unfriendly staff. Not possible to pre- book seat even if booking was done on Qantas. The long 6 hour wait for connecting flights in Johannesburg means that you might as well use another carrier that flies into Cape Town such as Singapore, Emirates or Malaysia from Perth.