SAA South African Airways Passenger Reviews and SAA Customer Trip Reports

South African Airways Customer review :  17 August 2012 by A Jhunjhunwala    (Australia)

Mumbai - Johannesburg return in Economy class. Plane was A330. Flights on time. Decent Indian vegetarian meals. Excellent in flight entertainment. Only complaint is that on arrival in JHB, despite landing early, we could not get off the plane for more than 25 minutes as the aerobridge operator did not show up and did not open the door to allow passengers to deplane!

South African Airways Customer review :  14 August 2012 by H Henning    (South Africa)

Flew from JNB-JFK. Flight was good, but not the SAA it used to be. Called flight attendant and asked kindly for a cool drink, told to come and get it. That is terrible service and does not meet my standards.

South African Airways Customer review :  1 August 2012 by S Marie    (South Africa)

I flew Cape Town - JNB - Livingstone and back. The first two legs were fine, flights on time and service good. However, check-in in Zambia Livingstone was a nightmare. I had one regulation size carry on bag and a purse. I was told by one SAA staffer that I was not allowed to carry on a purse and a suitcase. This was not a large purse, it was a small handbag. I have never in all of my travels been told that I may not carry a purse with my wallet and passport. She actually made me open my suitcase and put the purse inside of it so that I literally had one item to bring on the plane. Utter nonsense. The next leg departing JNB was 1.5 hours late, no explanation was given at all. This despite the fact that later scheduled flights to Cape Town were leaving in the meantime. Generally SAA is decent but the Zambia experience was extremely off putting.

South African Airways Customer review :  23 July 2012 by Phil Anderson    (South Africa)

Johannesburg to New York JFK direct flight. Airbus A340-600. Great plane and pilots. Seats not bad at all, I sat at the row 45 emergency exit. Check in went quickly since we had already got our boarding passes with our connecting domestic flight check in. Ground staff were friendly. After take off we were served drinks, then a nice dinner. Between dinner and breakfast the cabin crew offered refreshments at least 5 times. They stopped at nothing to rectify the few personal entertainment systems that was out of order, even moving passengers to other seats. Smooth flight, took off on time and arrived 45 minutes early.

Johannesburg to Cape town. Boeing 737-800. Very helpful and friendly ground staff. Great pilots and friendly cabin crew. Seats a tad narrow and legroom not great for tall people, I'm 2 meters tall and they moved me to an emergency exit row where the legroom was much better. Took off 10 minutes early and arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

South African Airways Customer review :  27 July 2012 by Phil Anderson    (South Africa)

Washington DC to Johannesburg. Airbus A340-300. Great plane, I found the seat width better than on the A340-600. Sat at the Bulkhead row 35. Great legroom. Ground staff were friendly. Excellent cabin crew. Took off 10 minutes early and arrived 45 minutes ahead of schedule. Very smooth flight. Stop at Dakar was only 50 minutes instead of the scheduled 90 minutes - 2 hours. We were a National team tour group of 105 people and not a single piece of luggage went missing or was damaged.

Cape Town to Johannesburg. 6 July 2012. Airbus A340-600. Great plane and pilots. Sat at the emergency exits row "45". Excellent legroom (I am 2 meters tall). Took off on time and arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Baggage was checked all the way to our New York connecting flight. Ground staff were pleasantly helpful. Cabin crew nice and friendly. Good on board service.

South African Airways Customer review :  27 July 2012 by Pat Cotterill    (Australia)

Johannesburg to Cape Town. Good flight, on time, all good until we arrived. Waited at luggage carousel until no more bags and then visit lost luggage counter. It turns out the pilot ordered 50 bags to be left because of bad weather. Presumably to avoid lodging more fuel since it was only a 2 hour flight on a 737. SAA could have told us when we arrived and not gone through the lost baggage charade. The one guy left to deal with 50 angry people did a fantastic job and bags were delivered next day as promised.

South African Airways Customer review :  23 July 2012 by A Pontes    (South Africa)

Flew back MUN-JHNB SA265. Full flight. Whole in-flight system was in-operative as well as the seats. Meals was good and service is friendly. Was able to sleep on the flat-bed as the seats can be operated manually, but it was a struggle and noisy for the staff to set up. I think the staff service was good in the challenging circumstances but thought poorly of the equipment of the aircraft not being in working order. Despite the apologies from the staff on board I think an apology from head-office is required.

South African Airways Customer review :  10 July 2012 by C Cygan    (USA)

Our flight from JFK to JNB was delayed 9 hours due to mechanical problems costing us an entire day in Cape Town. Neither my wife or I had a functional entertainment unit for the 14 hour flight. Our connecting flight from JNB to Hoedspruit (near Kruger) was delayed by 4 hours due to another mechanical failure, costing us an entire game drive on Safari. After emailing SAA regarding these issues they offered to provide a small discount on future purchases from their dysfunctional airline. While staff were polite in person they regularly demonstrated no awareness of the reasoning or status of long delay issues. I will never fly SAA again. British Airways is certainly worth the very slight difference in cost.

South African Airways Customer review :  2 July 2012 by Jeff Ison    (UK)

We have always travelled with SAA between LHR and JHB on our visits to family. Our last trip was different, the crew were so much more pleasant this time. In the past, one or two looked as if it was a chore to deal with us. This time there was always a smile and cheery banter. Our only complaint was that in both directions we had problems with the IFE, no sound, or it sounded as if it was under water. Despite re-booting we never did get it right. We've rebooked our next flight already and look forward to it.

South African Airways Customer review :  28 June 2012 by P Ducey    (USA)

JFK-JNB May 20th. I have always enjoyed flying SAA. I have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. This trip was no different. Entertainment, food and drinks were good. I have always had a hard time sleeping on the plane, so I will often go and chat with the crew in the galley while stretching. They have always been so friendly and easy to chat with. The only unpleasant part of this last trip was that I was sitting next to a rather large woman who was not very polite. She raised the arm rest between us and came spilling on to me. Not very pleasant on a 15 hour flight. I still tried to be nice though and make some small talk. I will be flying with SAA again on Sunday July 1st and look forward to their hospitality.

South African Airways Customer review :  25 June 2012 by Banishta Kureeman    (Mauritius)

Flight: In last month. First, we had a very hectic check in and boarding - though we reached the airport 2 hrs before our flight, we had nearly missed our flight because of the slowness in immigration procedures! But I would like to thank to staff at the boarding gate A24 who allowed us in though boarding was closed. Was expecting a wonderful flight in the business class cabin from Johannesburg to Mauritius, but both me and my husband were disappointed. The hostess seemed to be forcing herself to smile at us and we had to wait a long time before being served! Moreover, the vegetarian food was of extremely low quality. Nevertheless, my husband has travelled economy in domestic SA flights, and he was happy with the service. It all depends on the crew.

South African Airways Customer review :  20 June 2012 by G Thompson    (South Africa)

OR Tambo to Accra, Ghana. SA 52 18 June 2012, Airbus 340, bad vibration on take off, the landing at Accra was good. My seat was in class: Y very cramped, difficult to get up out of the seat. Only screens from roof for inflight entertainment on a 6 hours flight. The food is not bad - very spicy curry beef or spicy chicken or vegetarian. The coffee after the meals is cold, no hot milk. The chicken wrap was good, only juice available. You must plastic wrap your suitcase for R50.00 per case.

South African Airways Customer review :  18 June 2012 by T Impson    (China)

DUR-JNB-HKG. Ground staff at Durban were great giving me the emergency exit on a brand new A320, plenty of leg room and friendly staff. Upgraded to business using Voyager miles while in JNB airport for the Hong Kong leg, got row 3.The ground staff in JNB are usually unfriendly and unhelpful but this couldn't be further from the truth on this trip. Awesome service from them. Then from the moment we stepped on board the crew couldn't have been more friendly but as always very safety conscience. Updates from the flight deck are always good on SAA and this trip was no different. We were well informed and warned in advance about bad weather. Food was good and entertainment good. The lie flat seat was great and I slept for 7hrs. Woke for breakfast and landing. The flight crew let me into the cockpit to take photos and went out of their way to explain all the goings on in the flight deck and gave me the weather print out as a souvenir.

South African Airways Customer review :  7 June 2012 by D Mellor    (UK)

My wife and I flew with our 12 month old son from London to Jo'Burg on an overnight and thanks to the wonderful staff it was a brilliant experience, They allocated us the whole centre row so our son could lay down to sleep and we're very attentive throughout in regards to his milk. The food for adults was great as were the drinks, All in all highly recommended.

South African Airways Customer review :  21 May 2012 by D Duncan    (Canada)

We travelled from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls, Victoria Falls to Cape Town, Cape Town to Nelspruit, Nelspruit to Durban and then finally Durban to Johannesburg. We had exceptional flight service on all our flights. Friendly flight attendants and prompt service. Our only complaint would be with the check-in counters where staff were often less than friendly. Please note, this was not on every check-in, but was more memorable at most counters, than not. Overall, excellent service and was pleased with all our flights!