SAA South African Airways Passenger Reviews and SAA Customer Trip Reports

South African Airways Customer review :  2 July 2013 by K Roebl    (Taiwan)

Flew from Hong Kong To Johannesburg. The cabin crew entered the terminal passenger area prior to boarding to check boarding passes and passports. They were rude in their manner. On the plane they were rude and noisy. On my return from Johannesburg to Hong Kong, I found the staff at Johannesburg airport to be slow and unhelpful. There was a long queue at the security counter and only two checking lines were operational, this was in spite of the fact that people were arriving for a number of international flights. My flight was also delayed and eventually left nearly an hour late. I find the service for SAA, formally one of the world's best airlines to be one of the poorest, and although Johannesburg International Airport has improved since the World Cup Football, it still has a long way to go to become the international hub it once was.

South African Airways Customer review :  26 June 2013 by P Bonfanti    (USA)

On a recent round trip JFK to Johannesburg in Business class we found SAA to be excellent in every way. Business class seats are very good. Entertainment is more than any human could need and the cabin crew was professional and friendly. The Business class club in Johannesburg was OK if not outstanding. We were pleasantly surprised at the overall experience.

South African Airways Customer review :  27 May 2013 by A Du Preez    (South Africa)

I am currently in Entebbe (Uganda) and awaiting to board the delayed flight SA161 to JNB. It was scheduled to take off at 07.25 in Uganda but we have been informed that it will only take off by 10am today (25 May 2013). My concern is that I have a connection flight to PE scheduled to take off from JNB by 13.10pm (SA417). My incoming flight will then literally arrive minutes before SA417 will depart for PE. I am therefore looking forward in anticipation to see how SAA will deal with and co-ordinate linking myself up with the flight to PE later today. If SAA can pull this one off without a passenger having to be inconvenienced it will be great. Time will tell as it is currently impossible to inquire about this at the Entebbe Airport and having cleared customs already.

South African Airways Customer review :  22 May 2013 by E Cloete    (South Africa)

CPT-JNB return. Both flights on B737-800. Cabin crew very friendly. I sat at the emergency exit and cabin crew member explained what I should do in case of an emergency in a professional and friendly manner. IFE could use some work, but I suppose its acceptable for a 1hr 45min flight. Food was great. Liked the announcements from the pilots, they were regular and very informative. Both landings were greasers (smooth landings). SAA pilots are definitely amongst the best in the world. Overall a great experience and great value for money.

South African Airways Customer review :  20 May 2013 by G Ames    (Australia)

Flew PER-JNB return on A340 and was appalled by this service. In flight entertainment was almost non existent. Channels were interfering with one another so nothing made sense. Food was poor and on the way to JNB it was cold. Will avoid flying SAA in the future regardless of the cost.

South African Airways Customer review :  20 May 2013 by Adam McLane    (USA)

JFK-JNB return. This was my first long haul flight and first trip to Africa. (Many transatlantic flights though) I found everything about the trip to be professional and meeting my expectations. The seats reclined sufficiently for the level of service. Food and food options were good. Lots of snacks, good portion sizes, etc. The wine was decent and did the trick. The in-flight entertainment really helped pass the time. I watched more TV and movies on those two flights than I've watched in months. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the flight attendants. The return flight was only about 40% full so I was able to fully lay down and sleep 10+ hours straight. An overall great experience, I'd fly with them again.

South African Airways Customer review :  17 May 2013 by D Olsson    (Australia)

Domestic flight CPT-JNB was fine - good staff, decent plane, no hassles. Be aware though that passengers bring enormous amounts of hand luggage - big bags or multiple bags (I even saw two guys who each had a medium-sized box in addition to their carry-on bags. All the bins were full when there were still 20 people left to board.

South African Airways Customer review :  15 May 2013 by A Chan-Tidemann    (USA)

When attempting to travel to Cape Town from New York City for Cape Town Jazz Festival, flight got cancelled due to engine failure. Took 3.5 hrs to get rebooked onto an Emirates Flight departing 12 hrs later, which would have 8 hr layover in Dubai. Got day rooms at JFK after some discussion. When returning to airport to check into Emirates flight we were told SAA had never made the reservation in the system, there would be no meals and there was no connection out of Dubai. We went home. As compensation they "offered" us 25% off a new ticket.

South African Airways Customer review :  13 May 2013 by B Amayun    (Benin)

May 3, SA 083, COO-JNB Economy. SAA offer the only direct flights between COO and JNB twice a week. Tried checking in online, but the response from the system was always "error - We could not find that reservation". Even called the SAA office to get it corrected, but did not get any relief. Fortunately, there was no problem checking in at the airport. Delayed on take-off for about one hour. Not a single word of explanation or apology came from the crew. Aircraft was Airbus 319, and the flight was full. The food was meagre and awful - almost inedible. Again delayed taking off after the stopover in Pointe Noire, it was already dark when we arrived in Johannesburg, making me miss my meeting of the evening. Only on arrival at OR Tambo airport that someone apologized for the delay. When the aircraft had parked at the terminal, they could not get the gangway to open, and we had to wait some more. Mechanics were called, but still they could not open it. The buses came to the rescue to take us to the terminal. We had to descend down the stairs with all our hand luggage. With all the above missteps, it was a disappointing experience. I did not find any reason for assigning four stars to this airline.

South African Airways Customer review :  29 April 2013 by W Morgan    (USA)

EZE-JNB-CPT-JNB-EZE. Business Class. Airbus A340-300. Remains a solid product with a friendly professional crew. Seats: comfortable enough, suggest centre aisle. Good duvet and real feather pillow so able to get some sleep. Meals: excellent quality for airline food and adequate portions and complementing wines. Movies: Did JFK-JNB-JFK in the same month so I was hard pressed by the end of March but it is a good on demand system. Value for money: SAA has monopoly on the routes to South America from SA so they can and do charge what they like. Worst Part: SAA continues to use low grade cheap instant coffee in Business class which is not acceptable when so much attention has been paid to other aspects of the product. Additionally, JNB-EZE is day time flying during comparatively 'normal' hours either side of the south Atlantic yet SAA insists on blacking out the cabin with all window shades down. 11 hours is too long to sit in artificial blackout especially since I have never been in SA226/7 when Business class is more than half empty. Rows 15/16 in their own 'cabin' are very nice to sit in if the crew are not using it as a bedroom.

South African Airways Customer review :  25 April 2013 by Lars Gaebler    (Thailand)

HKG-JNB-WVB and back two weeks later LVI-JNB-HKG. Long Haul flights from and to HKG were on time. SAA connect operates to WVB and we got delayed by 1 hour due to technical defect. Have never experienced that the pilot would come to departure hall and explain about the delay and later gave a very detailed explanation before take off. Well done. Food was alright nothing special really same with IFE. Very quiet flight. Contacted Call Centre for seat reservation which was carried out promptly.

South African Airways Customer review :  24 April 2013 by J Heinrich    (Australia)

Booked on Flight 359 from Jo'burg to Cape Town on 12 April, 2013. One of our bags was the last off Flight 7701 from Sydney even though it was tagged "Business". Staff at the desks were more interested in chatting to each other than booking us through to the Cape Town flight. Finally joined other people at the boarding gate only to be told a couple of minutes later that the gate was being closed, leaving 28 of us stranded there! Had to head downstairs again to find another flight which ended up being 3 hours later, even though our luggage left on the original flight.

South African Airways Customer review :  22 April 2013 by S Thomson    (New Zealand)

Onboard an international flight (Cape Town to New Zealand). Just before Johannesburg we were diverted to Bloemfontein "due to bad weather". We had to wait 3+ hours for the plane to be refuelled - in which we did not get much updates or any food or water! Then majority of people on the plane missed their connecting flights. When we were finally on our way back to Johannesburg, we were told that the ground staff will meet us and tell us exactly where to go. But there were no ground staff meeting us, instead we had to run up and down (with a baby) to find out where to go. Hours later someone finally helped us and we were put up in a hotel for the night. We were told to go back to the airport the next morning to re-book our connecting flights, which we did. The worst service I have experienced, especially travelling with a baby. Not recommended to anyone travelling with kids.