PAGE loading ... please wait!

PrivatAir Passenger Reviews and PrivatAir Customer Trip Reports

No Ranking Awarded

Add your Privatair Airlines Review

Privatair Unclassified Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : Privatair
6.1 out of 10  6.1 out of 10

PRIVATAIR Customer review :  1 June 2013 by J Dublanin    (Netherlands)

Rating 0/10

In March I flew from Amsterdam to Accra via Frankfurt in economy class. Leg from Frankfurt to Accra was operated by Privatair who employs a Boeing 737-800 on this route. Experience was a nightmare. The seats are wonderful if you are very short. There was no leg room and the width of the seats is banal. The crew were a sourly bunch, unfriendly and unaccommodating. Anything and everything seemed too much for them. The meals were awful and the 6.5 hour flight seemed an eternity. I have flown on all kinds of all airlines all over the world, but the configuration of these Boeing business jets is an act of cruelty. One of the first things I did during my stay in Accra was to book my return on Turkish Airlines. Economy is never anything to rave about, but this experience was tolerable. My advice to you - stay away from Privatair.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  21 August 2012 by P Deo   (Germany)

I flew this Lufthansa owned airline from Pune in India to Frankfurt in Germany. The seats are narrow with little leg space and not very comfortable for an 9 hour flight. In-flight staff are unfriendly and arrogant. The food was inedible. The flight entertainment was defective. I will not recommend this airline. Please note this Pune-Frankfurt sector is probably the most expensive economy sector in the world and for that the service is just plain horrible.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  27 June 2011 by M Phadke   (USA)

USA-Pune; Economy (program wouldn't let me select Economy); United first leg up to Frankfurt and Privatair (Lufthansa) on second leg. Privitair in-flight service is excellent, but there seem to be issues in regard to on-time performance. On the way to Pune our flight was stopped in Bombay for almost 3 hrs (had to stay on the plane) due to a 'technical issue'. Some frequent travellers seemed to hint that this was not uncommon, perhaps due to refuelling needs (the plane is smaller). The delay on the way back forced us to miss our connecting United flight on to the US (this was around the time of the Xmas snowstorms in Franfurt). We were dumped on Lufthansa since they 'caused' the delay - so much for the 'Star Alliance'. This meant an 8 hr delay in Frankfurt and another 8 hrs in JFK since we arrived late at night and there were no connecting flights. 3 hrs in line at JFK to get hotel w/2 young children. The plus was that they even gave us a hotel, but the delays at the transfer desks in FRA and JFK were really bad. Overall, the attraction of this flight is that one can travel to Pune directly without the Bombay-Pune hassle; however, flight timings mean long transfer times and not going non-stop subjects you to the risks of connection related problems. Will probably fly non-stop to Bombay next time.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  16 February 2011 by Brian Moffett   (USA)

FRA-PNQ. The cabin crew could not do enough for passengers, food and wine selection was very good, and inflight entertainment was good. The seat is not true lie flat (had a slope), but was comfortable.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  17 July 2010 by G Varghese   (USA)

FRA-PNQ, first time on PrivatAir as part of a code share with Lufthansa. Boarding a breeze, B737BJ, with business and economy seating and 20 odd rows of seats. As it turns out due to some glitch in their system, I did not have a seat but had a valid ticket and thats when people started running around trying to figure out what had happened. I spent the next one hour standing in the galley talking to a very nice stewardess, who told me that this is first time in her career something like this had happened. What they did in the end to accommodate me was shocking, they moved one passenger (travelling on a lower fare type) from business class into the cockpit and offered to seat me there - since I was travelling with family I gave up that seat to a young student who was sitting next to my wife and was happy to be seated with my family. The inflight service was exceptional, compared to our inbound Continental Airlines flight from Houston and food was great. Toys and coloring books for the kids and the IFE was also very good, seats comfortable. All in all a very good experience.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  25 May 2010 by T McQueary   (USA)

FRA_BAH. First time on Privatair. Was sold as a code share on Lufthansa. Booked last minute and had a Coach seat. Was surprised to see we were on a 737 (for 7 long hours). Interesting Business Class seating as it takes up two thirds of the plane and the back third is a very cramped coach section. There was only one open middle seat in the entire section (because my partner and I purchased it to have some extra room). Terrible leg room due to the overly intrusive AVOD entertainment system. The entertainment system was first rate with plenty of choices (the only saving grace considering the cramped seating). The crew attitude and service first rate, and they are the main reason I might reconsider Privatair - but only in Business Class.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  15 April 2010 by Jason Wesolowski   (USA)

FRA-BAH. This flight is on a B737. The first half of the plane is business class. I sat in row 10, the first economy row. IFE system had very few choices, but it was on demand. Only 1 movie interested me. There were also no seatback pockets, so I had to hold my book, magazines, and headphones on my lap. As for the food, it was OK. I would have prefered a regular Lufthansa A340 flight.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  26 January 2010 by Mike Holifield

Trip Rating : 1/10

FRA to BAH. Most miserable economy seats I've had to endure. Extremely tight seat made worse by large box taking up more than half of legroom. Could not straighten right leg for entire seven-hour flight. Fortunately, FA's did not hassle me when I had to stand in the galley area for an hour to get the blood flowing in my legs again. Who thought passengers wouldn't mind losing half the legroom in order to have mediocre entertainment options? A bad choice. I changed return flight to another airline. Will avoid at all costs.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  30 March 2009 by Ravi Mene

Trip Rating : 7/10

We flew to PNQ on 11 March and returned on 26 March. It was a pleasant experience overall, the seats are comfortable for relaxing but not sleeping, even though they incline to about 160 one slides of as there are no proper foot rests and the width could be improved by a couple of inches for some more comfort, but this could be due to the narrow bodied aircraft (319). Food was good and punctuality spot on, FAs were friendly and service acceptable. We would use this service again due to hassle free service at PNQ.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  7 February 2009 : by Linda Blinchevsky

Trip Rating : 2/10

Very poor compared to Lufthansa business class. Unpleasant staff, uncomfortable seating, downright shabby interior, the seat had crumbs from the last passenger. Entertainment equipment didn't work - no apologies issued.

PRIVATAIR customer review :  8 November 2008 : by Alexander Petrov

Trip Rating : 9/10

FRA-PNQ-FRA on A319 with 48 seats. Seat next to me was empty and this made everything 100% better! Handheld IFE system is fine, but a pain when meal service comes around - good to set it on the tray table of the side seat. Service/food/drinks are about same as any LH flight, however seems quicker and FA's more attentive. Also flying to PNQ and immigration/customs being the easiest in the world with 48 people at once is possibly good enough reason to repeat this flight.

PRIVATAIR customer review : 18 October 2008 : by C Halvorsen

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

EWR-FRA on 737. Mediocre food, a portable DVD-like IFE, somewhat arrogant cabin crew and old fashioned seats (not lie-flat). If you have a choice (and you do!) choose the regular Lufthansa flight, which leaves a couple of hours later. C-class on Lufthansa A 340 is among the better ones transatlantic (avoid the 747 though, as not all of them have been upgraded).

PRIVATAIR customer review : 5 September 2008 : by D Leman

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

MUC-DXB. As with other comments seating not up to standard, felt like I was sliding the whole flight. IFE was ok, personal player, very cheap headsets though and no noise cancelling which did surprise, you have to put the system away if you want to watch a movie during dinner. Staff on the whole good. Overall would fly again but would never be a first choice, a business class only airline should have truly flat bed seats.

PRIVATAIR customer review : 16 July 2008 : by A McKinnon

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

I flew Privatair on behalf of Lufthansa on their new FRA-PNQ (Pune India) route. The plane was an A319LR. I'd agree with other comments on here about the seats on the 319LR, not brilliant for sleeping on fine for sitting. Food was good. the IFE was a handheld/rest on table on demand unit, not perfect but better than some seatback systems I've used recently. There was a fair selection of movies, certainly enough for the 8 hour flight. Staff were friendly, not your usual Lufthansa experience. Overall I thought the flight was fine and I'll certainly use it in future. Landing in Pune direct from Europe is much better than having to navigate Mumbai.

PRIVATAIR customer review : 28 April 2008 : by Tracy Miller

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Flew Lufthansa Privatair all business class ORD to DUS (A319) and then regular Lufthansa business FRA to DFW (A340-300). If you have a choice between the two, do not do the Privatair, horrible seats, antiquated handheld entertainment with very little selection, mediocre food and rushed economy like service, all in all not worth the business class fare at all. In comparison, the return flight from Frankfurt was a dream, great seats, pretty good food, in flight entertainment, and a really top notch crew.

PRIVATAIR customer review : 12 April 2008 : by M Ludolf

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

DUS-EWR return: A319LR on both legs, C class only. The cabin staff was friendly and professional, both flights on time and food what can be expected of airlines in this class - nothing exciting but not all bad. Seats do not recline to a full 180 degrees which makes sleeping a bit of a problem. IFE was a handheld system with a limited choice. If possible I recommend to keep an empty seat next to you to have room to store pillows, blankets, the IFE. If there is someone next to you space is limited despite the few number of seats in the aircraft. All in all I had better LH flights with other carriers.

PrivatAir - by K Mandrysz

8 January 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 4 Star Rating

FRA to Newark. Seats and IFE old fashioned but still comfortable. Food prepared by Lufthansa and was ok. The service was very courteous, and liked the special check in area and the quick boarding.

PrivatAir - by Stefan Rustscheff

28 October 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 4 Star Rating

ORD-DUS. Easy booking at First Counter, miserable wait in grubby Red Carpet Club. Seat 1a. Lovely looking staff which served adequate champers and drinks as well as wine, but exactly the same food as Lufthansa. Access to Senator lounge in DUS in spite of flying business and not first. Angled lie seat was old, not particularly wide (the extra 1.5 inches are eaten up by a hard edge which is 1 inch on every side), had quite a remarkable angle downwards and was easily the worst of the following: BA; SAS; KLM; SWISS in order of excellence. IFE is on demand, but as others have pointed out, with one half of the ordinary LH programme (and the same, which makes the availability even less if You choose to go Private for just one lap as I did. Breakfast omelette was inedible. All in all a fair to good experience but with drawbacks for the chair. I suggest You sleep on your side. That worked for me. In any case flying Privatair is not flying your private jet. It is flying in a small Airbus with kind air hostesses, fast checkin, superior lounge access but a bad seat, and due to the tiny aircraft, actually a bumpy flight, something I have never experienced before. I will consider flying them again, but LH as such was actually more comfortable and just as friendly, 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

PrivatAir - by Juan Vargas

5 October 2007  Customer Trip Rating : n/a

I flew Privatair (on behalf of Swiss International) for the first time and hope to do so again in the foreseeable future. The flight was booked to capacity (when isn’t?) but the flight attendants on both flight to and from Europe handled everything with such a breeze. Immediately upon settling to our seats not 10 seconds go by and we are offered water, juice, wine, or champagne (all served in glass not plastic) and provided with menus for the evening’s meal. The outbound flight had a two hours dely but not the fault of the airline; all nyc airports were shut down to both incoming and outgoing traffic as it was the same day the General Assembly convened and all the delegates began to depart New York. Once we were airborne the meal service began; it was very impressive seeing how friendly and professional a five course meal could be handed out with a smile; this truly is a lost art among air carriers here in the US (regardless of the cabin booked in my opinion). The meal itself was quite tasty and filling and everyone seemed to get what they wanted. After the final morsel of food was presented, coffee poured, the lights dimmed and as if almost on queue everyone settled in for the remaining 5 ¾ hours of the flight. The seats themselves are pretty comfortable and they do the “lie flat thing” that everyone seems to be so enamored with but at a slight angle. I myself do not care for the lie flat type of seat whether it be angle or no angle, (I have flown Singapore, Cathay, British to name a few) but that’s another story, I just positioned my seat into recliner mode and I was good. The pillows were comfortable if not just a bit small but there were plenty to go around; the blanket was well just that; a blanket that did its job. With the delay in departure in-flight entertainment was on a request basis as the crew I’m sure was aware that the majority of the passengers just wanted to go to sleep, and that was the case as no one requested one of the hand-held personal DVD player. If there is one negative thing I’d have to say about Privatair it would have to do with the IFE; it’s not that good, plain and simple. It gets a bit tiresome having to hold the dvd player on your lap or having to take out the tray table. In addition the available movies handed out on discs are somewhat dated, and are not the films listed in the Swiss in-flight magazine. This was not an issue as I had a good book and my Mp3 player (and the window to look out of) with me so I really didn’t mind the poor inflight entertainment . I am sure Privatair has heard this complaint before and they will address this issue soon. If anyone has the chance to fly Privatair in the future please do not think twice about doing so, you will be most pleasantly surprised.

PrivatAir - by René van Zijl

11 December 2006

Had flights between Dusseldorf and Newark recently in Airbus 319. In a way I like the concept of having a limited number of paasengers, 48 in my case. The service is adequate and so is the food and the wine. Not good are the seats with a sliding down effect. Why not directly horizontally, a trend that cannot be avoided! The IFE is a personal DVD player, which is quite unpractical. An integrated system into the seat would have been much better, as there is hardly room to place the device and the extra cables are a pain in the neck. The movies on the way to Newark were the same as on the way back. A Swiss lack of fantasy I presume. All in all I give them three stars as a maximum, since seating is the most important point to me, besides flying on time!

PrivatAir - by Andreas Calatzis

6 September 2006

IAH-AMS 737 - regarding the other comments the 319 LR seems to be more comfortable than the 737 they use on this route. The plane is quite loud inside, seats were less comfortable than the Air France 777 to paris that goes IAH-CDG. Food OK, good service. Next time I will fly over Paris with Air France on this route.

PrivatAir - by Johannes Boecker

21 February 2006

MUC to EWR. The new seats are quite good: fully flat and lots of space. The flight attendants are friendly (much better than Lufthansa) and tried very hard to satisfy every customer. The meals are standard Lufthansa business class meals and really nothing to write home about. The light meal before landing was horrible. There were frequent drink patrols and a water bottle in every seat pocket (unlike on Lufthansa). The amenity bag is also much nicer than Lufthansa's normal bag and actually contains ear plugs and moisturizing cream (which are much needed in the standard Lufthansa bag). The only downside is the lack of personal entertainment. You do get a dvd-player but there is only a choice of 5 movies (Lufthansa advertises on their website about 20 movies but they only carry a selection of these on the Privatair flights). After having finished one movie, the dvd-player was taken away and my request for another movie was gently declined. There is also no audio entertainment. This is okay for a night flight when you want to sleep but not really acceptable for a day flight. Arriving in EWR is a real treat: no waiting times anywhere, you usually get out of the airport 20 minutes after landing.

PrivatAir - by Thorkild Lykke

2 October 2005

MUC-EWR. I chose it as transfer in MUC is much easier than in FRA and I also flew the same route in 2004. Again the service given by the PrivatAir cabin crew was excellent. Boarding started early and the crew had good time to seat the passengers, take the coats etc. Meals are the usual Lufthansa C-class meals. Normally I never choose LH for the culinary experience, but this time it was really good. The selection of wine was very much to my liking and the crew let you have a taste of the wine first before having the glass filled up. The pitch is generous, but the seats are a bit old-fashioned considering what is getting to be the standard for long-haul flights these days. To keep up with the competition I would suggest they get new IFE instead of the oldfashioned individual video players (though you have the same selection as LH F- class) and also in-seat power for laptops. Still, the service level from the crew and hazzlefree transfer in Munich as well as the fact that you arrive EWR with only 48 pax and therefore shorter waitinglines for immigration would make me choose them again - and also this routing was appx EUR1.000 less than the direct SK-flight from CPH to EWR on a return ticket!

PrivatAir - by Majed Koleilat

11 July 2005

Flew with them from Newark to Dusseldorf. They use an Airbus 319 LR, all business class seating. Comfortable seat recline well and very wide, excellent legroom. Cabin crew very attentive and spoke french german and english. Food very good. As for audiovisuals, they use small LCD players somewhat old. Overall very good to excellent.