OpenSkies Passenger Reviews and OpenSkies Customer Trip Reports

OpenSkies Passenger Trip Reports

OpenSkies Lounge Reviews

OpenSkies Aircraft Seat Plans

OpenSkies Economy class seat reviews

OPENSKIES customer review :  24 June 2014 by Joseph Campis    (USA)

Economy+

I had booked flights last year for a late June to early July 2013, New York to Paris trip. On the outbound to Paris, the flight was delayed 2 hours, mechanical problems, poor communication by Open Skies staff to customers. The return flight to New York was a disaster. The flight was canceled, their Paris staff were clearly overwhelmed and seemed not to know what to do and their communication skills in English were lacking. Finally, after insisting, they gave me a hotel and meal voucher for an Airport Hotel at Orly and put me on a flight the next day on an Air France plane back to NYC from CDG. Please note my hotel was at Orly! A considerable distance from Orly to CDG. To make a long story short, I did not manage to get on an Air France flight until 4pm later that day. I had arrived at Orly the pervious day at 2pm. Would I ever fly this airline again. No. British Airways has their work cut out for them.

OPENSKIES customer review :  13 November 2013 by Tim Farr    (UK)

JFK-ORY on B757-200. We flew in Prem Plus which is a definite premium economy upgrade rather than business downgrade, but a sizeable step up from the Economy seats which looked very tight indeed. We secured 6D and 6F which were the bulkhead seats, wider than BA's new WTP seats and had features like lumbar support, a decent headrest and footrest and good recline - very comfortable although my headrest broke two hours in so I had to fashion one from the pillow. I would recommend exit row seats in row 7 as these have excellent leg room and a bolster cushion for your foot which looked very comfortable, though these seem very difficult to book in advance without silver or gold status. Row 6 was good as no one was reclining into your space, but if you're over 6 foot 2 the bulkhead could actually be a hindrance. The promised glass of bubbles on boarding never materialised (or at any point during the flight) and I was disappointed with the meals which were rather plain - chicken curry or pasta with vegetables - hardly inspiring, and a bag with an apple, muffin and orange juice for breakfast. The flight attendants however were pleasant and attentive throughout and a credit to the airline. The plane really is showing its age and it was extremely noticeable in the general wear and tear, faded windows and the presence of ashtrays at the back of the plane. There was quite a bit of turbulence coming back in the jet stream and you really felt every little bump on this aging machine - I would say it's time for a fleet update. I didn't use the inflight entertainment (personal iPad) much but was disappointed to see it only had 25% charge so I doubt it would have worked for the flight duration anyway. That said it did have the same decent selection of films as the BA flight we flew out on, plus some additional French films which was a nice touch. Arrival in Orly was quick and easy and we spent time in the Iberia codeshare lounge before connecting to LHR. The lounge was quiet and had a reasonable selection of drinks but that's where the benefits end. The lounge is quite a trek as others have noted and the food selection consisted of some plain crisps and plain crackers during the nearly 3 hours we were there, and nothing else was offered. There are no toilets in the lounge, one has to go out although they are close by, and the promised escort to the plane didn't materialise despite the fact that I was on crutches. I requested wheelchair support and they were unable to provide this. If you have elite status I would certainly recommend using an alternative lounge. All in all, Openskies does have its benefits with fewer passengers and a nice wide, comfortable leather seat in Prem Plus. That said, experiencing it once was enough for me personally and I'll be sticking with BA's new WTP product in future and flying UK - USA direct.

OPENSKIES customer review :  17 October 2013 by Morgan Spill    (France)

Economy+

Excellent value for money. Even though the plane was quite old, the flight was very smooth. The old seats were very comfortable. I slept all flight long from NY to Paris. The food is good enough and the service on board from Paris to NY was great. At this price range, it's a very good solution for a comfortable flight to NY or Paris. I will definitely use OpenSkies again.

OPENSKIES customer review :  16 October 2013 by W Baker    (USA)

Economy+

Value for money, this was one of the best airline experiences I've had. Check in on both sides was fine. The premium plus, with an equivalent fair to most airlines economy comfort, was a far better value. Definitely more room, and more comfortable seating than comparable airlines offerings. While their fleet of 757's are not new, and not glamorous, it was better than most international business class of 5 to 10 years ago. Considering you only pay a couple of hundred dollars more then a regular coach (sardine) class and $2-$3000 less in business class, it is hard to beat this airline. Also, the fact that fly to Orly as opposed to Charles de Gaulle, makes transportation into the center of Paris much more economic.

OPENSKIES customer review :  3 September 2013 by Roberto Galli    (Italy)

Economy+

Planes are very old and seats in Premium economy are almost all broken. Paris to NY flight was okay but return flight to Paris was terrible. The meal was served very late and very poor, dry and burnt pasta or dry and burnt curry chicken with rice. Breakfast was a paper bag with an orange juice bottle, a small croissant and an apple. Staff aboard back to Paris with no care compared to flight to NY where staff were nice.

OPENSKIES customer review :  5 August 2013 by K DeLavalle    (USA)

Economy+

Premium Plus direct from Newark to Paris r/t. Not only was the customer service horrible, they didn't have my seat after I booked it 6 months ahead. The plane we took was run down, old, not fresh, nor charming with poor lighting etc. Bathrooms were dirty. The food was poor. The attendants barely offered even water during the flight. That's if you could find them. The lounge is no longer available unless you're a silver/gold member. It used to be available to all premium plus seats and first class.

OPENSKIES customer review :  18 July 2013 by T Clarity    (USA)

Since British Airways assumed operations for Open Skies (previously a start up called L'Avion), the service has really deteriorated. While wholly owned by BA, the staff seem not to co-operate and the Newark/NY (EWR) to Paris/Orly (ORY) route has become the most likely to be cancelled with no notice. We were scheduled (family of five) to depart Orly on July 9. Received no phone call and even registered online the night before. When we arrived at the airport at 8.30 for the 10.45am flight, we were told it was cancelled. We waited 6+ hours in the airport, not offered the lounge, not offered food. Finally, an angry employee ticketed us in Economy (we were Prem Plus customers) and grudgingly gave us vouchers for meals and a stay at the Ibis Orly Airport Hotel. They ticketed us at 5pm for a flight to JFK the following day. We will not fly this airline again.

OPENSKIES customer review :  6 May 2013 by P Thyne    (USA)

EWR-ORY-EWR. Increasingly being branded as BA and not Openskies. The Openskies Prem Plus service is far, far superior to the similar BA Premium Economy offering. Seat comfort, very retro, in old 1980 style business class seats, really found them very comfortable. Small aircraft, the 757, allows for delightfully attentive service from charming, warm, French Cabin Crew. Meals above expectations and really nice wines. Loved the I-Pads for entertainment. Orly West great, small, no long walks, check-in easy and smooth, baggage delivery fast an efficient. Best of all fast and relatively inexpensive cab rides to/from Paris. Let us hope that with the increasing merge of a delightful boutique brand into the monolithic BA, that some of the BA negative attitudes towards passengers do not infect the charming Openskies boutique brand. Will continue to take Openskies in the meantime, if only BA would emulate Openskies for its Premium Economy product, I would consider flying them once again.

OPENSKIES customer review :  22 March 2013 by Jakob Bengt    (France)

Orly to Newark and back. Friendly service and very comfortable flight. Generous food offering and reasonably selection of Entertainment on ipads. New BA lounge at Newark is a great addition - plenty of space and excellent pre dinner option when flying Business. Lounge in Paris is unfortunately too far away from the Openskies gates to make it worth the visit.

OPENSKIES customer review :  20 December 2012 by Robert Woodruff    (USA)

Economy Plus

We have twice now flown the Newark / Orly route on Open Skies-- originally in April 2012, then again in December. The first time the flight was described as Biz Seat, and the entire airplane was configured with their biz seats. These are good but not great seats, adequately sized for the most part, but just not quite long enough for a 6 ft individual, and 100% manual recline and leg rests. The portable a/v systems were in many ways superior to the typical major carrier central a/v systems, but on both outbound and inbound legs, the batteries were not adequately charged and it ran out before arrival. No backup, so I was out of luck. The all biz seat arrangement meant fast loading, fast unloading, and relatively rapid bag delivery. Food and wine were not bad, but nothing special. On time for the most part. Good enough to do it again in December. By December, the offering had morphed a bit. Same seats, but now the plane was a 757, and was configured as 'biz bed - business class', Prem Plus premium economy (the prior Biz Seat) config, and regular (6 across) economy. The seats were the same. The food/wine in Prem Plus were strictly economy sub mediocre, and the baggage delivery horrible at ORY. The a/v systems had been upgraded to new ipads, which worked well, but still needed more management of battery charging. The prior rapid boarding was lost with the larger plane and 3 class seating. Bottom line, at 1250 per person r/t it's a lot more comfortable than economy, but you no longer get a biz lounge invitation, and the food was really bottom of the barrel. I'd do it again, because the itinerary is perfect for my needs, but don't do it if you're expecting business class at economy pricing.

OPENSKIES customer review :  21 August 2012 by J Pickett    (USA)

Flew June 29, 2012 in new ECO service. 3x3 for last 11 rows of plane. This would be difficult travel for strangers in same row. Very much domestic type economy seats. Unusual policies also. Asked if I could buy an upgrade and they said I could have but it would have been only at the ticket counter. At the ticket counter I was told to ask at the gate. Difficult to get checked in with contract service handling flight. The gate area was chaotic and that is being generous. Had to ask about lounge pass which as Sapphire One World, they were to recognize. They gave it and told me to use priority security lines, but the boarding pass and code would not work as it needed to be generated at time of boarding pass. From the time I booked the flight to when we took it, they instituted ECO class. When booked I thought I was coming back through EWR and would be worth the trouble because I would have economy plus. 2 weeks before the scheduled flight, they changed config to add 3rd class of service. I would not do that again. We were fortunate to have 3 seats for 2 of us but had the class been full, it would have been a nightmare for 8 hours. Nice cabin crew. Lousy food. Ipads for entertainment were a plus.

OPENSKIES customer review :  23 July 2012 by C Durban    (France)

Economy Plus

Travelling Paris-Newark in October and I fear I'm about to be very disappointed (a pity, because I've flown this route with OpenSkies in the past and had good service). A phone call today informed me that my flight has been cancelled, with three options available: leave the previous day (impossible as connecting flights are built around this one), fly BA through London (non-direct flight that adds 3.5 hours to an already long trip; I chose OS to avoid this sort of thing), or refund. The customer service agent was courteous but had no explanation other than "operational issues" (3 months out?). My answers to the other rating questions in this review would be "it depends" (on the outcome of the current situation), but that option is not available.

OPENSKIES customer review :  31 May 2012 by S Levy    (USA)

Economy Plus

Flew OpenSkies in a Biz Seat from EWR to ORY and back. Comfortable seats, on time departure, early arrival, decent food, and very nice crew. Having only a small number of people on the aircraft, and using ORY instead of CDG, make a world of difference. This really is one of the most pleasant ways to fly.

OPENSKIES customer review :  18 May 2012 by E Gottdenker    (USA)

Open Skies makes the waiting and boarding process very relaxed. In Newark, we were treated to the British Airways Lounge as we were flying BizBed to Paris. Security was even easier with all the little perks you get by flying this "boutique" airline. The bed was okay but the configuration of the BizBed cabin was atrocious. Once everyone reclines their bed, you can not get out if you in the window seat. Each bed unfolds to the edge of the seat in front and in back of them. Coming home we were in the BizSeat cabin. Orly Airport was excellent. Security was set up so you bypass the masses and enter through a private line. The lounge was quite comfortable and extremely relaxing. For the comparative price to business class/first class on other airlines, this is a great bargain.

OPENSKIES customer review :  12 May 2012 by D Ryan    (USA)

Check-in is smooth, the seats very comfortable, and I find Newark in the US and Orly in Paris both more reasonable options than JFK and Charles De Gaulle for city access. I am not a big consumer of inflight entertainment, but they gave out iPads that seemed to have a large range of movies and TV and even some games. The food is pretty horrible, but does anyone really expect great cuisine on a plane? We flew BizBed over and it was a treat to actually recline all the way and arrive semi-rested, as opposed to uncomfortable United and Delta Business seats on previous flights. I would definitely fly them again and hope that they can stay in business.

OPENSKIES customer review :  21 February 2012 by K Allen    (USA)

On our outbound flight to Paris, my seat did not work properly. The light panels for reading did not work on our side of the plane, nor did my hand-held remote for the movie. Attendants were polite but unapologetic. On our return flight to DC, we were delayed at the airport for over 3 hours because of a strike situation and our flight sent to Newark. Again, no apologies. Save your money and take a different airline!

OPENSKIES customer review :  27 October 2011 by James Krengel    (USA)

Dulles-Orly return. Checked in online, used American Airlines Admirals Club, boarded on time and surprised at condition of aircraft and seats. Flight attendants were helpful and during a delay served additional beverages - meal was good. Our return flight was no different. ICare Lounge was spacious with food and beverages to choose from. The main meal on the return was lovely. Audio Visual system, it may not have been state of the art, but worked well with much to view.

OPENSKIES customer review :  13 October 2011 by S Lans    (USA)

The actual flying and airport experience is that of an average Economy Plus with access to mediocre airport lounges. Onboard the seats are a little better than economy plus, much less good than business class. No bells and whistles, poor entertainment. Food ok, wine quite nice, no hard liquor. What kills the Open Skies experience is their sales and reservations practices and procedures. They reschedule and cancel without notification and on minimal notice. If you need to change, it's a nightmare. The "archive" or "purge" your records which then have to be "researched", a lengthy and extraordinarily aggravating experience. We cancelled a trip for last week and they have twice either archived or purged our records so that once again they are not able to rebook our travel til further "research". This has gone on for 10 days and is beginning to feel like an overt attempt to convert our monies. We would only fly this airline if were for a last minute booking and only if they were significantly less expensive than Air France Premium Economy. Having to deal with Open Skies on this rescheduling has been the most difficult experience of our highly traveled lives.

OPENSKIES customer review :  16 September 2011 by M Lombardini    (USA)

Extremely thoughtful and helpful service. Dulles-Orly roundtrip, we traveled with a dog, and on both check-ins the staff could not have been more helpful reassembling the cage for us, providing water for the animal, assisting us personally through security. The same attentive help was provided with our luggage, which had been unloaded from the belt and assembled in one location when completed immigration procedures. During the flight, we found the overall attention to details surprising, food was good, the selection of wine refreshing, the absence of duty free sales, commercial pitches and interruptions by the captain most welcome. Overall a pleasant experience, further enhanced by the small number of passenger, which made both departure and arrival a breeze, compared to even preferential treatment, when you are part of a crowd 500+ strong.

OPENSKIES customer review :  6 September 2011 by M Boudrey    (France)

ORY to EWR. Plane departed on time , cabin was clean and crew in our zone friendly and efficient. No more food choice. All the dishes on a single tray like in Economy Class. Food was cold and main course choice not available and being seated in row 8 this is not understandable. Inflight Entertainment system was, as usual not working, replaced 3 times without luck. Landed in EWR on time and luggage delivered quickly.

OPENSKIES customer review :  26 August 2011 by Tom Dichter    (USA)

757-200 all Business Class from ORY-EWR return. Check-in at both airports and onboard service slow, food choices limited and poor quality. Cabin attendants are 'correct' but unsmiling. DVD players handed out well over an hour after take-off and collected 40 mins before landing. Cheaper than regular C class on other carriers, but one might as well go Economy - the experience is not much different.

OPENSKIES customer review :  17 August 2011 by B Cramell (USA)

Economy Plus

IAD to Orly was diverted to Newark without explanation. Passengers special meal requests were not honoured and our flight arrived more than 3 hrs late. Orly is an unpleasant environment, the ticket areas are not even staffed at all times by OpenSkies. Customer service is lacking. The only thing it can honestly sell is extra legroom between seats in the Business Seat area on old, reconfigured planes. This is not a business class experience.

OPENSKIES customer review :  10 August 2011 by C Minota (USA)

Paris to Newark. Roomy seats that recline allowing you to get a comfortable rest. Lots of space between rows. You can have up to 3 pieces of luggage up to 23 kg. However, worn out seats and old, noisy plane. Flight attendants weren't very attentive. There was no duty free on board. They give you an old handheld screen with a limited choice of films. The meal took a very long time, with a 1 hour wait between dishes. Food was average. Do not book the aisle seat on the first row of Business seats as there is less leg room because of the emergency exit door.

OPENSKIES customer review :  10 August 2011 by James Stewart (USA)

I flew roundtrip from Newark to Paris and was very pleased with the flight. Quick and easy check in, the lounge in Newark is pretty well hidden, but was fine once there. Very easy clearing security in both airports. I cleared customs in both cities within about 30mins and was on my way. More importantly for me was the extra room- which was what I paid the extra money for. You could tell the plane was old, but the service was good, and the meal we had was certainly well above normal Economy fare. Not being a business traveler, I can't really comment about comparisons but the price was definitely worth it for my comfort.

OPENSKIES customer review :  3 August 2011 by Fabrice de Gans-Riberi (France)

I am extremely disappointed by the service we got. I had booked an Orly-Dulles flight which got cancelled due to a gas leak. We got told that we would be on the next day flight or, at worse, on an extra flight they were adding on their schedule. We were then sent to a hotel and told they would contact us either later in the evening or morning. The following day, with still no news from OpenSkies, some of us went directly to the airport to find out what was going on. We were received very rudely by OpenSkies who actually tried their best to make us cancel our ticket. The supposed extra flight actually never existed and they were still trying to sell tickets for the DC flight of the day for EUR 6000 while we were told to wait. In the end, I had to go through British Airways in the other terminal of Orly airport who called OpenSkies and told them to stop selling tickets for the NY flight and book us instead. We then got taken in charge directly by BA at Newark who got us tickets to DC in the evening. OpenSkies does not care about their customers, only about turning max profit, I am very disappointed especially for a BA brand.

OPENSKIES customer review :  15 July 2011 by J Haight (USA)

Newark-Orly return. For travellers who don't usually fly Business class this was a treat. Yes, seats and interior of plane were a bit worn. Service and food was great Best of all you could stretch out and be comfortable during the flight. I wish they flew more places. We would use them again.

OPENSKIES customer review :  11 June 2011 by S Bennett (USA)

Economy Plus

Newark-Paris return. The planes are very old and seats and hand held A/V are 1970's, restrooms very worn, etc. This is not a premium Business Class service that one is used to on major carriers. Having said that, it is a great value for your travel dollar - 78 seats on a 757, very acceptable lounges with free drinks and snacks at both Newark and Orly, plenty of room between seat rows, etc. It is really more of a Premium Economy service on old equipment with slightly upgraded economy class meals in flight, but at a price of under $2,000 versus a Business Class ticket to Europe on a major carrier of $5,000+ it does represent a good value for a relatively short flight (7 hrs).

OPENSKIES customer review :  15 May 2011 by Sean Mckeown (USA)

My wife and I flew to Paris at the end of April, experience was great and we got lucky and the flights there and back were only about one-third full. The seats are older business class seats, and on the way over I noticed that one of our seats wouldn't recline - we switched because the flight was mostly empty. Service great, and flight attendants were very professional and courteous. Flying business class means you get to skip the security lines and immigration lines. The lounge (British Airways) while waiting, means you can connect to wifi and have a drink/snack. So, nothing special about the plane itself, other than you get a big seat.

OPENSKIES customer review :  6 May 2011 by R Bunn (USA)

IAD-ORY return. Dulles lounge was satisfactory and Orly quite good. The crews on both legs were very attentive and pleasant. Food and drinks very good by airline standards. I like Orly as an arriving destination to Paris and connecting to other cities in Europe, finding it more convenient and less crowded than other major airports. We took flat beds from IAD to ORY and biz seats back and were satisfied with the choice. From a price perspective, alone, we feel this is an excellent choice and with the experiences on both legs and at the lounges, are very pleased and will repeat.

OPENSKIES customer review :  18 March 2011 by C Smith (USA)

My first trip with OpenSkies was excellent. The lounge at Dulles is very nice, the plane was spacious, food and wine were good. The return was fine as well. My next trip, the first leg went very smoothly, but now as I approach the final part I am terribly frustrated and disappointed with OpenSkies. Unfortunately, I had to book my return flight for this summer in November, when my schedule was still a bit up in the air. About 3 weeks ago, however, I finalized my schedule and saw, to my dismay, that I would need to change my ticket by about two months. I was bracing myself for a ticket change fee - but was shocked to find out that in order to change my ticket (giving them months notice) I will need to pay $450 in addition to about $150 extra for increased gas prices - that's $600 extra for a flight change, with months notice! I emailed and called and spoke with many people - all said that same thing - that's policy, no way around it. Now, I don't expect a big cooperation to just change their policy for me, but I do expect some sort of help or at least a little sympathy when I pay thousands of dollars for a ticket. The lack of care or sympathy from those I spoke and emailed with astonished me! Not only did they not give me a break at all, but they didn't even put out the effort to seem sorry for my circumstances. Perhaps most people who use this airline are wealthy, but I am not. I used them this year as a special treat, and now I am absolutely paying for it. As of today, I can buy a round trip ticket with British Airways from Paris to NY for less than $600. And unless a miracle happens, soon I'll be paying $600 just to switch the day of my flight. I think it is ridiculous that I have to pay such an extravagant fee to change a flight with months of notice!

OPENSKIES customer review :  15 March 2011 by L Furlong (USA)

Open Skies cancelled my departure flight (booked 3 months in advance) without notifying me. I found out three days before departure when I tried to choose my seats on line. They only offered cancellation or a move of departure flight one day later (no options earlier). Changing the return flight was not possible. Very inconvenient, very disappointing.

OPENSKIES customer review :  10 March 2011 by Paul O'Carroll    (UK)

Economy Plus

ORY-EWR return. Lounge at ORY is pretty minimal, with everyone crowded at one end to avoid the noise of the building work going on at the other end. The plane struck me as having seen better days; the fittings are a bit scuffed around the edges and several people, including me, had seats that either didn't recline or wouldn't stay upright! Luckily there were few people on the outbound flight and there were a multitude of alternative seats to choose from. IFE is terrible - handheld devices that keep crashing, requiring the user to re-start whatever they're watching and presenting all sorts of logistical problems when the tray you've just set it up on is required for the meal. Take a laptop or similar to entertain yourself. Lounge in EWR is poor; wrong side of security and looks like a large waiting room. I jumped ship and headed for the BA Terraces lounge past security and right beside the Openskies departure gate. Overnight return flight was more populated but the almost lie-flat beds provided a good night's kip. Overall, a nice sense of space and the FAs are attentive, generous with their time and drinks and even though there's a Biz beds and Biz seats segregation going on, you still feel as if you're enjoying something a little unknown and exclusive. Personally, I wouldn't make the effort of travelling to Paris just to fly Openskies again - not without checking the difference between this and Premium Economy on BA first - but if you're there already, it's worth a look.

1 2

Read OPENSKIES customer reviews, compare Passenger reviews, OpenSkies Product Service standards reviews