Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Victor Shannon    (Spain)

Flew BCN-LGW on April 16th, departure was on time and arrival slightly early. The aircraft was a 16 year old A321. The cabin seemed a bit old but very tidy nevertheless. Cabin crew did the best they could to help us, they seemed very professional. My only complaint is the seat. It was really old and rather uncomfortable, although for such a short flight I don't consider this a major inconvenience. They were the cheapest from BCN to London on those dates, and I would certainly fly with them again in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D Judge    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham on flight ZB 446 on 1st April, returning to Birmingham on 8th April on Flight ZB447. I have just returned from my first air travel following a debilitating stroke and cannot praise the crews on both my outbound and inbound flights they made this experience one which I will happily repeat. I would therefore like to say a huge thank you for their excellent customer care and delivering a service which others would benefit from following their example.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Tony Harris    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Tenerife 11/4, initially told of 4 hour delay on checking in, this then turned into 6 hours by the time we took off. To compound matters we had to endure a 2 hour wait at Gatwick for our luggage, having landed at 1am! Will do our best not to fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by R McVicker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Birmingham - Tenerife on 2 April, returning 9 April. Flights on time both ways with good service on board. Do need they extra legroom however.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Bradley Alan    (UK)

Returned from Sharm El Sheik early hours 4th April, should have been evening of 3 April - 5 hours late. Received the usual lies of "yes the plane has left the UK" only to find out it didn't hadn't. Information when available was sketchy at best when it wasn't an outright lie. Whether these issues lie solely with the handling agent or Monarch I am unsure, but it's Monarchs reputation that has hit rock bottom with me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Robert Johnson    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our flights to and from Alicante were on time, clean and tidy with good, if a little slow service. Their Car Hire partners (Firefly), however were a complete disaster. I would never use them again. Over an hour to get a hire car.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by W Resalsingh    (UK)

Flight from Tobago to Gatwick on 02/04/14 delayed for 24 hrs due to problems with the plane. Flight takes off, problem still not solved and had to land at Barbados. 2 days more, passengers still stranded in Barbados and Monarch don't even have the decency to issue something on their website informing friends and family what is going on! At the time of writing, all the passengers are still stranded in Barbados with no idea as to when they are going to get home!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by H Binns    (UK)

I've just returned from a trip to Goa with Monarch (flight only) I was apprehensive, having read all the bad reports but decided to give it a try. I can honestly say I couldn't fault it! No, it doesn't compare to Emirates or Qatar - but neither does the price! It does however, compare favourably with other charters. Ok, it wasn't the latest plane but it was clean and comfortable - the only thing lacking was the back of seat screen but I can live without that. Food was average but again, on a par with other charters. The big plus for me (besides the price) was the cabin crew, without exception they were friendly, professional and helpful - far better than I have experienced with other charters. Check-in went smoothly and both flights were more or less on time. Very happy with my experience and would not hesitate to use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Bishop    (UK)

I fly every week between Spain and England using Ryanair, easyjet, Norwegian and monarch, after 3 years of doing the same trip I can honestly say Monarch are the worst airline by far, what I look for on a short haul flight is on time flying, Ryanair are the best followed by Norwegian then easyjet but Monarch are awful, nearly always a delay with some feeble excuse when we get on the plane!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Mary Middleton    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Just had the same experience as a previous correspondent, Luton - Tenerife. Paid for extra legroom and asked very specifically about seat location and recline. Outward flight fine, A320 with comfortable reclining seat, got 90 mins sleep. Return flight on newer A321 unspeakably uncomfortable, nasty, hard, plastic seat with no recline at all. 4 hours of total discomfort. Cabin staff said Monarch have no seat recline on any seats on new planes. Never, never again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Ron Bagshawe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham, ZB458, Feb 20th 2014 to Lanzarote and returned on March 20th 2014. Cabin Crew on both flights were superb, particularly on return flight to Birmingham where there were 9 disabled passengers on board including myself.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by K Bennett    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote. Outbound journey was alright, the staff were friendly and professional. Inbound journey, firstly our plane was delayed 2.5 hours due to bad weather in Spain earlier in the day. Fair enough you can't help the weather. When we eventually got on the plane it was boiling the air con wasn't working as the back generator had gone. They spent about 30 minutes trying to get both engines to work on just the front generator meanwhile the heat was unbearable. The plane was really shabby and very loud when in flight. You don't get much leg room which is bad for a 4 hour flight. The food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced aswell. Overall it's good for cheap flights but I wouldn't recommend them!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Burnham Tina    (UK)

I will never fly with Monarch again, we had a 14 hour delay from Gatwick. We lost a precious night of our holiday ruined the first day as we were shattered, they didn't provide overnight accommodation so my 5 and 7 year tried to sleep on metal benches in the freezing noisy airport. They didn't even send a member of their own staff to help or give information, the staff on the plane were rude and just couldn't care less.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by S Wood    (UK)

24th Feb, flew to Sharm without a hitch. The seating seemed to be the same as all airlines in economy. Unluckily on the second day of my holiday I suffered a heart attack spending the rest of my holiday in hospital. On my return it was a worry that I was healthy enough to travel. Thankfully after a few questions the decision was made to allow me to travel, The staff were attentive, I was given a seat with extra room and I had a pleasant flight home.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by T Mustoe    (Gibraltar)

My daughter was due to fly today, 5th March but was delayed in traffic getting to Luton. She did however get to check in just 40 minutes before the flight was due to leave (check in was still manned and open). According to the Monarch website 40 minutes is the minimum time allowed for late boarding, she was however refused and had to return home. Last year Monarch left my same daughter stranded in Malaga (the flight was routed the from Gibraltar due to bad weather) the upshot of that was she was left there (during a strike by the Spanish) and I had to pay a small fortune to taxi her into Gibraltar, all this in spite of several fruitless calls to monarch during the several hours she was left there. As she visits me in Gibraltar frequently, as does my other daughter (who experiences no such issues from easyjet) begs the question, do I encourage my daughter to use Gatwick rather than Luton? Never use Monarch unless absolutely no other option is available.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Pearce Eddie    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We flew from Birmingham to Sharm on 25th January. Check in was quick and easy. We had booked extra leg room seats and I'm pleased we did because passengers in economy section looked extremely cramped. Flight departed on time and we actually arrived early. Cabin service was good throughout but if you get hungry I would suggest that you avoid the toasted sandwich - it was like chewing on two pieces of burnt cardboard. Return flight on 4th Feb was delayed by about 40 minutes. Service okay and we would probably use Monarch again - but only if we could get extra leg room seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by B Gross    (UK)

Last week I flew from Gatwick to Gambia. I have travelled world-wide in Economy with other airlines for much longer periods of time and although being cramped I have never had a problem. I never recline my seat, however this journey was made extremely uncomfortable not by the person in front of me but the woman behind. For the first few hours of the flight she had had her feet digging into my back. An hour before we were due to land she woke up and I heard her tutting and mumbling, then quite violently, she shoved my seat forward and held it there. I was in a window seat in row 17 and had previously had the full view of my window and a bit of the one behind. Now I had half of my own window which shows how far forward she had rammed my seat. In response she hurled abuse at me saying that I have been squashing her the entire 6.5 hours etc. I was also quite relieved that I had just finished my cup of hot coffee that I was holding only minutes before. This of course, is not a fault of the airline. I do however believe that if they want to reduce the space of the seats then they should not have the seats be able to recline or be moved at all. The plane was old and shabby and not ideal for a flight that long. I have been on shorter flights in Monarch planes that looked a lot better than this one. On the return flight, I was at the back of the plane and nowhere near the group but as we geared up ready for take off suddenly all the power went out and there were a lot of ashen-faced passengers who were no doubt thinking that had better not happen in the air. We were switched to auxiliary power and told by a very apologetic pilot that it would not happen again. I will not be flying with Monarch again.