Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Stevens    (UK)

Extra Legroom

LGW to ACE, 24/7/14 return 8/8/14. Good on time flights in extra legroom seats, well worth the extra cost. In flight meals also very good and much improved. New plane on the way out. Cabin crew very obliging. Overall a good start and finish to our holiday.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by D Lymer    (UK)

Flown twice this year with Monarch - Tenerife in April then Orlando in July. Both times really impressed especially the Orlando flights. We upgraded to the Premier cabin which both being 6ft I'm glad we did. Plenty of leg room. Coming back you are given free entry to the airport lounge with two free beers and free snacks, great way to relax. Boarded first and our luggage was taken off first so no waiting at Gatwick. Better than our BA flight last year to Orlando.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by P Yeomans    (UK)

Birmingham flight to Venice, ZB 5484. 27th July. Local radio warns of delays on busy weekend so arrive 3 hours before take off, takes nearly 3 hours to check in, not because of volume of passengers, but because only 2 of the 10 desks were open! Situation not helped by the fact that 3 desks were open for online check in! After 1 hour, Monarch staff resorted to calling for people whose flights were imminent to go over to the online desks. It was only after this that the online desk opened to everyone else. Flight was delayed for 20 minutes and onboard staff were not aware of check in problems. Not a good start to a holiday, an explanation would be appreciated as to why only 2 desks were open for what was known to be a very busy weekend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Worton    (UK)

Gatwick to Faro, 22/7/2014. Plane due to depart 06.50 finally went 10.10. Accept there are delays and technical problems which need to be resolved before planes take off. The issue is always communication. Having been called to the gate as expected it is the lack of updates to advise what is happening. When will airlines realise that the issue just annoys it's clients. The most infuriating issue is the ground staff do not give frequent enough updates, especially when the updates provided contradict a text you have previously received from the airline text service to say the delay will be longer and this is the true time. It's funny how the staff don't want to tell you truth which is all the passenger wants. Please learn.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Southwell    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch but flight was chartered by Simpson Travel so check in separate therefore am unable to comment on this aspect. Flight itself was excellent in every respect. Friendly, helpful staff who made the journey pleasant. Food some of the best airline food I have had, the larger carriers could learn from their suppliers. We paid for extra legroom, but on the return we were in the new aircraft which has plenty of room in the non extra legroom seats so I would check whether you need to pay for the extra space on short flights. Would definitely fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by C Carney    (UK)

Naples to Luton, 25th July, ZB 3596 0 put on a faulty plane for 3 hours. Taken off spent 5.5 hours corralled in airport with nowhere to sit. Given 12 euro vouchers for refreshments in airport which were refused at the till. Taken to hotel in Naples overnight. Taken back to airport could not check in as computer said no. Eventually boarded plane and took off 2.5 hours late as 18 people had vanished leaving bags on board. These had to be removed. No food on plane. No communication in airport. Eventually got to Luton over 22 hours Late. Disgusting treatment and a whole wasted day. Never again. Spoilt my holiday.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Karen Ostler    (UK)

Recently flew Gatwick to Sanford premium economy, I was very worried as I had read many bad reviews, but there was no need. From the moment we checked in the service was excellent we had no delays, boarding and take off were very quick. The leg room was great, I'm 5 ft 4 and my husband 5 ft 10 and we were very pleased with the spacious comfortable seats we had. We sat in rows A 3,4 and B 3,4, there were TVs in the seat backs, entertainment was great with a good choice of films. We had a continuous service from the air hostesses with drinks and food, and my daughters enjoyed their free blankets. On arrival the airport did keep us waiting to disembark, but this was not Monarch's fault. Premium economy passengers luggage comes off first, so it was a quick get away too. Would definitely fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Catherine Brown    (UK)

Flew on 25 July from Manchester to Majorca then returned back on 1 Aug. First time flying with Monarch, we had a great flight there and back - no delays, cabin crew very nice and friendly. Captain kept us up to date on our travels. Meals on flight very good, great value for money.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Rhys Crompton    (UK)

Travelled on flight MON349 from Gatwick to Orlando Sanford. Flight was delayed by an hour which although it sounds bad we made up time and landed only 5-10 minutes late. The plane although it is old it was perfectly fine and the seats were in brilliant condition. You are supplied with a clean fleecy blanket and pillow which are very comfortable. The flight was good, meal service was served twice and rubbish collections were frequent. The only negative would be the in-flight entertainment as there are no seatback TV's only in the aisle, movies are old and bad quality. But I brought my tablet and watched some movies on there which were perfectly fine. Overall the flight was good and although it's not the likes of Virgin and BA, you get what you pay for which is the cheapest.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by M Docherty    (UK)

I have just flown from Manchester to Faro. 1 hour delay on the outbound due to bad weather and heavy traffic, 1/2 hour on the way back too but actually made the time back due to a strong tail wind. Aircraft was a new A321, very clean, quiet and smooth on both sectors with adequate legroom too . Cabin crew very attentive and friendly and very informative updates from the flight deck. The Captain actually came into the cabin on the inbound leg and was making my little boy laugh! Overall very impressed with them and would have no hesitation in flying with this excellent airline in the future. NO IFE on board for reference.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by C Thompson    (UK)

Flew to Dubrovnik from Gatwick. Plane on time on both outward and return leg. On way back the aircraft had the new seats fitted which in spite of their thinness were very comfortable. Staff friendly and very attentive. Definitely a cut above the usual budget airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Wright Suzi    (UK)

Flew from Birmingham to Las Palmas (23/06/14) returned (01/07/14). We flew on the airbus A321 which I believe is one of their newer fleet. Now down to the nitty gritty! 100% would fly with Monarch again.. Take off 15 mins late but arrived 10 mins early, took off on time coming back and was back half an hour early. Check in was good both ways, went smoothly including collecting luggage! Staff both ways were friendly and polite plenty of leg room too! Having flown with Thomson last year, this plane was far better. Food was expensive but nonetheless tasty!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by James Ducker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We have flown with Monarch many times, this time (8/7/14) from East Midlands to Tenerife. As always we had a very pleasant experience! Online check-in meant we didn't have to queue at the airport. There were plenty of baggage drop desks and no problem getting through. The plane was on time and landed early due to a tail wind. The new cabins look very smart and I found the new seats to be very comfortable. I'm glad they've done away with the reclining seats. Who wants to spend 4hours with passenger in front's head inches away from your face? We always pay for extra legroom as my partner is 6'7" and so we have no complaints about legroom. The plane was spotless, I think having a place for your tablet/iPad is a genius idea. The cabin crew were all very efficient. I think the inflight food and drinks are expensive though, but it's up to you if you want to buy or not. I saw one passenger with her packed lunch so I suppose you could always do the same. Having flown with Jet2 and Easyjet recently I find Monarch to be a cut above the usual Budget airlines. As I said, I have flow with Monarch many times, and I still will.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by S Adam    (UK)

Absolutely pleasantly surprised. Flew from Dubrovnik to Gatwick, and despite leaving 15min late, we arrived 10min early. The cabin crew were friendly, attentive and smiling throughout the flight. Well done Monarch, already looking forward to the next holiday flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Maria Riley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Manchester (MAN) - Dalaman (Turkey) (DLM), 5 Jun - 19 Jul 2014. Disgusted with Monarch 3yrs on the trot, now they have changed our flight times. They are still selling the flight we should be going back home on of which should of been a reasonable hr at 11.10 arriving at Manchester at 1.35am, now departing at 1.50 am and landing at 4.05 am. We will not fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Row    (UK)

Flight ZB846, Luton to Alicante - Sunday 13 July 2014 delayed by over 9 hours due to a technical fault. Monarch staff not in attendance. Only had one member of Monarch staff in the airport with an airside pass. Customers got so unhappy that police were called. Menzies, the Monarch handling agents disappeared and refused to help passengers.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by E Patel    (UK)

ZB648 2nd July and ZB649 7th July. Return flight with to Larnaca. Good points, flights on time and UK bag drop was quick and easy. Bad points, was not impressed with the service, not one single member of staff spoke to us. Very budget airline, ok for a 2 hr flight but not for anything longer. The seats were very uncomfortable and no entertainment of any sort provided. Check in process at Larnaca airport was a farce and took over an hour just to drop bags as we had already checked in online to "speed up" the process. I spoke to a member of staff at the airport about poor service and was ignored, I have since emailed them and again have been ignored.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Harry Bratley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Excellent flight from Leeds Bradford to Larnaca. Flight left 15 minutes late but arrived 20 minutes early. Pre- booked extra legroom seats which were very comfortable with lots of space. Almost new A320 very quite and smooth. They had a special offer on pre-booked meals so, took advantage of the offer. I wasn't expecting much in quality but was pleasantly surprised how good and tasty the whole meal was and it even included a free Kenco coffee which would have cost us £2.50 anyway so, for £7.00 excellent value for money. Cabin crew were very attentive and pretty much refrained from the shouting offers that you get on Jet 2 flights. Return flight was affected by ATC strikes but was reassured to receive a text message from Monarch on the morning of departure advising that our flight was still operating although it may be subject to delay. They pulled out all the stops and we returned 2 hours late. This is the first time I have flown with Monarch for quite a few years and they are definitely a cut above other low cost airlines. I just hope that they expand their destinations from Leeds Bradford even more as Jet 2 and their ancient 'planes are becoming too complacent. Well done Monarch and looking forward to flying with you again from LBA to Lanzarote in November.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by J Davis    (UK)

I have just flown back from Turkey on Monarch. I will never fly with them again. Their new seating is the most uncomfortable airline seating I have experienced. No recline, fair enough. No comfort, just hard plastic. Nowhere to put books etc but they show off about somewhere to put your tablet!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by William Davidson    (UK)

Monarch charter, Manchester to Orlando Sanford, 20th June. Return 4th July. Excellent trip in premium cabin. On time, service by all crew was superb.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Taylor    (UK)

MON349 - 5th June 2014, inbound MON348, 13th June 2014. Recently returned from a weeks holiday to Florida, booked with Monarch. I have absolutely no complaints about them at all. The concierge team are brilliant, answering all our questions in a reasonable amount of time, all staff were friendly and couldn't seem to do enough for you. The plane was an A330 and although I was told by another passenger that it was older than her (she must have been 60), it was really clean and in my opinion had plenty of leg room. The food was plentiful, although I did think the food on the outbound flight was a lot better than the inbound one. All seats had a clean fleece and pillow and if not upgrading to premium seating, all had good views of the overhead TV screens. I wouldn't hesitate to use Monarch/Cosmos again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Bentley    (UK)

Venice to Gatwick on Thursday 3rd July. Never again. The outward flight check-in was disorganised. When we got on the aircraft, it was as cramped as I have ever experienced. At least it got there (to Venice) on time. The return flight was two hours late setting off, and boiling hot. One member of staff was quite unsmiling - perhaps she was as fed up as we were. Water was £1.70 a bottle. When we arrived in Gatwick, we just sat there - the steps were not there, the doors did not open. Eventually we disembarked. The baggage took ages to partly-arrive, and even longer before it arrived in full. We were late, tired and fed up. As I said, never again. The one compensation is that it did at least get us to and from our destination. That's the only positive I can offer.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Griffin    (UK)

I recently travelled from Luton to Sharm El Shiek. I have to say the catering has greatly improved. There was a choice of main course meals which were imaginative and very tasty, I had the Mediterranean beef which was like a Greek Stifardo. Also Monarch have stopped doing teas and coffees in those silly little cups on a tray with the most awful stewed cheap tasting coffee. They now have large PG Tips or Kenco cardboard cups with decent flavoured coffee. I do have a gripe. I really miss having an in-flight film on flights of more than 3 hours. Egypt was over 5 and I think that is long flight with no entertainment. Also seats must be more flimsy as I increasingly feel peoples knees etc digging in.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by D Wolstencroft    (UK)

Manchester to Barcelona and return. Great flights - new plane (Airbus 321), seating ok for 6ft 2" person, flights on time, both ways, cabin crew very helpful to less able passengers (helping with bags etc) and friendly - even though flight was packed. Good control of louder passengers. Good information from the flight deck - no hard sell. Overall - very impressed.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by A Paraskeva    (UK)

Flew twice with Monarch. Outbound and Inbound. My flights were ZB994 and ZB995 20/06/14-27/06/14, Birmingham to Hurghada and back. First time flying Monarch, Hurghada new destination for them. Thought give it a try as they were offering really good prices compared to other airlines. £178 each way per person which is really good for Egypt! Flights on time, cabin crew were really polite and helpful on both flights. Check in staff are really good. We arrived early for check in, and they checked us in early as well as checking in the hand luggage too. Had the old cabin on both flights, G-OZBE on ZB994 and G-OZBG on ZB995. Cabin's are really cramped for a 6 hour flight, but for the price we paid, couldn't really expect first class, no entertainment provided either, which was surprising for a long flight, was prepared anyway bringing my own. Would recommend, would travel again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Topping Ray    (UK)

Extra Legroom

On Friday 28th June we were in Alicante waiting for ZB 682 to arrive, all other Monarch flights were on time. Eventually the flight came up on the board. Passengers assembled waiting to embark on a flight that had at that time not arrived, this lasted for more than 1 hour. On the eventual embarkation the Captain explained that they had experienced a slight technical problem which took a few minutes to resolve. When fixed requested a push back from the handlers Swiss Air who reportedly said their employees where committed elsewhere. 1 hour later the plane was put into service. On arrival the turn around was reasonable. The return journey was good until we reached the flagship Manchester Airport where we waited for 1 hour 20 minutes for the luggage to appear.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by P Harvey    (UK)

On our 50th wedding anniversary despite being notified at check-in and on aircraft - we did not even get a free cup of water from these poor service s- Lufthansa gave us a champagne business class breakfast with so much food we could not eat it all. Avoid Monarch they are appalling and only want to sell meals and duty free! Never again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Dredge    (UK)

On the return flight from Venice to Gatwick we were prompted by the announcement over the tannoy that we could now purchase hot and cold snacks and drinks as displayed in the flight brochure. We were only about 6 rows from the back of the plane but when we asked for bacon paninis we were told that they didn't have any, or any rolls or any sandwiches. We then asked for muffins only to be told that they had none of these either. When we asked the attendants why they advertised products that they did not sell we were told that "they had a busy outward flight"! We are only average sized people but found the seat spaces to be very cramped, thankfully only for the 2hr flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Mel Draper    (UK)

Flew to Tenerife on 15 June, no delays, cabin crew lovely. Flew home on 25 June, delay due to France air traffic strike, again crew were fab, return flight was on older plane but couldn't fault them at all.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Dorricott    (UK)

Just returned from Fuerteventura on Monarch flight although holiday was with Thomson, never again! This is the 3rd time we've had a very uncomfortable flight, I'm 5ft 5 and was cramped, my husband is a lot taller and he had his knees jammed into the seat in front and couldn't move, if this is a sample of Thomson and Monarch cost cutting we will be making sure we travel with a different operator in future. To be fair the crew were ok and looked after passengers. When we arrived at Birmingham we were on the far side of the tarmac and had to be bussed in at 1am.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Z Temperton    (UK)

Manchester to Palma, ZB533, 03/06/14. Return - Palma to Manchester, ZB534, 12/06/14. I thought Monarch were brilliant! Easy check in, set off bang on time, smooth flight, friendly staff, quick baggage reclaim, all of which was repeated on my return journey! Plus on the way there we got moved to extra leg room seats because the flight was quiet. Would definitely use again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Jones    (UK)

Cramped seats, chocolate sauce on floor from previous flight which I had to cover up with napkins. Aggressive cabin crew - hassling me about a case in the locker which didn't belong to me - telling another passenger to behave because he standing up, when in fact he'd been to the toilet and requested to do this from another crew member - no apology offered. Patronizing lecture about zero-tolerance of bad behaviour - do they think they are the Police force or something? Not a cheap flight either £200 Manchester-Portugal - yet they have the budget Arline mentality that we are cattle and they can be patronising and arrogant with us.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Andrew Wood    (UK)

Extra Legroom

10/6 - 19/6 2014, ZB234 and ZB235. A good flight to Lanzarote, we paid £25 e/w for the front of the aircraft, if like me you are 6ft 6, you like the extra room, the ground staff at both Lanzarote and Gatwick were very smart and helpful. I hope to fly with them again soon.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Whitehead Richard    (UK)

First time I have ever travelled on Monarch from Gatwick to Faro - never again. Outbound flight ZB216 should have arrived at 16.30 but only arrived at 19.00. Return flight ZB217 was also delayed but the seating is deplorable, no leg room and when you fold down the tray you are wedged in your seat with no space at all. Seating also very worn, exposed springs, generally rather "down at heel". Certainly an airline to be avoided.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Roger Taylor    (UK)

On flight ZB932 from B-ham to Tenerife, 10/06/2014, plane had the New seats fitted. Slim line seats give the feel of more room, but the base of the seat is virtually unpadded. Cannot believe these seats have been tested by any senior management, maybe they should have them fitted in the boardroom, I will guarantee the meeting will not last more than 1 hour let alone 4 hours the flight time to Tenerife. Came back on the old seated plane, what a difference, its called comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Peter Wine    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I cannot understand why people complain about Monarch. OK our flight to Tenerife was 3 hours late going and 3 hours late coming back (all our other Monarch flights have been just about on time). However the A330 airbus was one of the best aircraft's we've been on in years. The extra leg room seats in the front compartment were great and it was very quiet compared to other aircraft's we've flown on. But here is your food for thought. While other airlines have come and gone over the years Monarch have been on the scene since 1968.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by A Newman    (UK)

Used Monarch to fly from Lanzarote - Manchester, 2nd June. I am compelled to write a review as the seat quality was the worst I have ever experienced on any form of transport. Literally, old bus seats are better. The seats are narrow, not cushioned, no legroom, nowhere to store anything eg sweets magazines. I am 6" and 13.5 stone. My head was above the seats, my knees touched the seat in front, and there is just no room. The flight was a night - I was with my kids who were trying to sleep - the stewardesses kept waking them up - unforgivable. We travelled to Lanzarote on Thomas Cook - I sincerely regret choosing Monarch for return fight and will Never use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Maybury Andrew    (UK)

Booked on a Monarch flight from Rome to Birmingham on 8th June. Flight was cancelled just prior to boarding time. We received no support or assistance at all. All we were told was to email Monarch customer relations. I did not have the facility to do this. No concern shown as to whether anyone had money to make alternative flight arrangements or obtain food. I am a diabetic so could have been left without any food or medication but luckily had taken my credit card so managed to purchase something to eat and tickets back to Birmingham via Munich. I would never travel with Monarch again as they seem to have no acceptance of any duty of care to their customers. Absolutely inexcusable lack of care for all booked on that flight. Disgrace!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Neil McDougall    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch to Funchal in May. ZB746. Inbound and outbound on time. Plane very clean and staff very friendly with nice smiles. Heavy cross wind at Funchal made for difficult landing (one of the most taxing airports in the world) but the captain did a great job getting us down safely after the first attempt was aborted. Would always choose Monarch ahead of Easyjet and would not contemplate RyanAir.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Hahlo    (UK)

Flight 533 from Majorca to Manchester, 1st June. This flight left Majorca 2 hours later than stated. This in itself is not a major complaint. What was annoying was the failure of the staff and airline to provide information about the delay. The only information that was given was a terse phrase on the flights board. the only information that was given was shortly before the arrival of the delayed flight that it was due to land in 15 minutes. Communication is everything. To neglect it and your customers is a major error of judgement.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Sophie Wogden    (UK)

I recently took my first flight with Monarch Airlines and found the experience was not a good one. Since booking the flight in January, the flight time was changed twice and brought forward by several hours. The first time I received absolutely no notification from Monarch and it was discovered entirely by chance. As we were a large group living 100 miles from the airport this had a big impact on our travel plans. On arrival at the airport we found the check-in staff were rude, unhelpful and altogether unpleasant. This continued whilst on the flight making the whole experience one I would not wish to repeat. I was with a different airline on my return journey and found the opposite - it was a great, friendly service offered for 1/3 of the price. I should also mention that the in-flight food was appalling - overpriced, served at a dangerously high temperature and essentially inedible.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Maria Rosendale    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew 2nd June from Cyprus and had the new style seats. This is the 2nd time as had in October last year as well. They are the most uncomfortable plane seats I have ever had the misfortune to sit in. They are narrower than before and also have virtually no padding. My partner is 6'2" and his head is way above the top of the seat. This means there is no support at al. They have made the aisle wider which means the seating area has to be narrower. Monarch really are not listening to their customers. I would rather travel further to another airport than suffer these seats again. I think if you are short and on a 2 hour flight you can suffer these but for 4 plus hours they really are not acceptable.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Timothy Griffin    (UK)

ZB439 from Fuerteventura to Birmingham, Sat 31st May 2014. Fantastic flight, lovely friendly cabin crew and to top it all off a brand new Airbus A321.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by S Cannon    (UK)

Extra Legroom

ZB546, MAN- ACE. Have travelled on this route numerous times and always been happy with the experience, but was very disappointed with my flight on Thurs. Check in - Bag drop desk manned by member of staff who had started that day, told luggage too heavy and tried to charge £120 excess baggage despite both cases being under allowance printed on our boarding card, obviously not trained very well. Had to get Supervisor to sort out. Boarding at gate 300 at Manchester always means a delay, when using the remote stands why don't they start the process a few minutes earlier. Gate again staffed by obviously new staff, very disorganised and checking of ticket against passport lax to say the least, which is concerning. On board for almost 90 mins before take off as two people checked in bags and not turned up at gate, so quite rightly bags had to be found and removed. Surely however given it took an hour to find the bags the people must of turned up by then, surely common sense should prevail and if people found and bags not let the people fly. I did wonder, given no checks were made on board to double check, if the people had boarded, in the confusion at the gate, if this was just an excuse, as I know this flight has departed over an hour late every week for the past five weeks. Can't wait for my trip later in the summer on the same flight to see if the same people don't turn up again. Flight ok, this was one of the older A321's with new seating which was not comfortable. Our return flight was put back two hours a few weeks before we came away from 8pm to 10pm no discount offered however given it changed from an evening flight to a night flight and I notice that on time performance of this flight is poor to say the least. We shall wait and see.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Hobbins Jeff    (UK)

29 May 2014. Flight ZB547 from ACE. The food, cider sausages and cheesy mash with vegetables was delicious. Clean modern plane but the seats wouldn't recline and I was knackered. I only posted because of the food quality.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by A Scott    (UK)

We booked a holiday to Benidorm with David Urquhart Travel. I specifically booked a flight which was supposed to be leaving Manchester Airport at 2pm on 11th May 2014. A few days before we were due to fly we received a telephone call to say that the flight had been put to 5.30 pm which we were not very happy about. When we arrived at the airport we were informed at check in that the flight would not be leaving until 7.40 pm. We eventually departed at 8.45 pm, 6 hours and 45 minutes after our original time. Most of the other passengers were grumbling and it seemed pretty clear that the original flight of 2pm had been taken off. We finally arrived at our hotel at 2 am local time, after setting off from our home at 2 pm the previous day. The seats were so closely packed together that my knees were up against the seat in front, we could barely get the trays down in front of us and it was impossible to recline the seats, as that would have given no room for the people behind us. To add to this, the stewards wheeling the trolleys met right against our seats and were there for about 20 minutes constantly opening the metal doors to get out items and letting the doors bang against our seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by J Kell    (UK)

Leeds Bradford to Heraklion, Crete. Plane clean and tidy both out and inbound. Sat on row 30 both ways and legroom atrocious for a 6ft male. Journey took four hours and I felt crippled by the end. I usually fly Jet 2 and their legroom is much better. I do not understand why airlines with such poor legroom have seats that recline, this just increases the discomfort of the person behind.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by N Hind    (UK)

Flew EMA to Malaga and back on the same aircraft. Plenty of legroom, new looking seats and generally clean. On time both ways.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Paul Habgood    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote return, planes clean and tidy, cabin crew polite. Leg room okay no different than Easyjet. Flights on time outbound & return, would have no hesitation booking with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by G Carraro    (UK)

I flew with Monarch many times with no major problems - it is a budget airline so expectations are low. However, twice this year I had one of their newly refitted aircraft : the seats are non-reclinable and very hard. I do not usually suffer from back-ache but I had to take a pain killer half away through the flight. For Rome to London a little over 2 hours flight this was bearable, although painful. But for a night 5 hours 40 minutes journey from Hurgada (Egypt) to London it is torture. I will not use them again for longer flights.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Rhys Crompton    (UK)

Flew from Alicante to Luton return. I fly with Monarch once or twice a year on this route and have for over 5 years. Cannot fault the airline, planes are clean, comfortable and more or less new. The cabin crew were very friendly and helpful. About 3 years ago my flight was cancelled due to snow in the UK which is understandable. Monarch dealt with the situation well and put me up in a hotel free of charge for a flight the next morning; brilliant. This is why I fly with Monarch because the likes of Ryanair and easyJet would not have done this to help me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Kai Savage    (UK)

Flew ZB7414/15 last month on an Airbus A321 with a newly fitted interior. The seats were so comfy and I've never had so much legroom in a non-extra legroom seat (7A/7F). I always fly Monarch when I can because they're staff are outstanding and the biggest delay I've ever had in my 32 flights with them was 25 minutes due to weather. Love Monarch and would recommend them to anyone. Ignore the bad reviews because I've flown with them 32 times and never experienced anything of the sort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by T Mickenson    (UK)

Flight to Rome 1st May from Birmingham - Flight MON 5408 and returned on Fri 2nd May on Flight MON 5409. Have flown with Monarch many, many times, and will do so as often as possible in the future. The Cabin Crew are the company's biggest asset - they are very helpful and give 100% service to everyone on board. My latest trip was to Rome - What a great flight. Always on time as was this flight, but if not only a few minutes late and this is not always down to the airline. Almost always they make up time during the flight. Food on board always of good quality for the price - Fleet is a little old, but understand new planes on order - Looking forward to getting on one of these - All in all a great company to travel with - have been treated like cattle on Easyjet and Ryanair, always try to use Monarch whenever possible.  Well Done to all at Monarch - Keep up the good work.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by S McNamara    (UK)

Flew Hurghada to Gatwick last night and the overwhelming issue is the lack of information at the airport about a delayed flight. All info boards had the flight as 20.05 but the boarding card has it as an hour later. When our supposed original boarding time came and went, the boards then changed to say the flight was delayed. When checking in, no one said the inbound flight was going to be delayed. Onboard, the pilot advised we were going to be late taking off as air traffic control didn't like their flight plan. All in all, we landed 2 hours later then we were scheduled to. Onboard, the flight on the A321 were uncomfortable, leg room was ok for a 6'5" male but you have to remember space is always going to be at a premium on such airlines. My other issue with these flights is that as they are late evening, there are always families travelling with young kids, such as we were, whereby it will be time for the kids to sleep. Constant announcements about duty free, refreshments, charity collections, rubbish collections etc, all add to a difficult sleep for young ones. I appreciate the airlines make a lot of money from selling items in board, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by B Morrison    (UK)

Extra Legroom

My wife and I fly with Monarch as often as possible for the simple reason the flights are usually on time take off and landing, both outward and inbound journeys. My wife is disabled and wheelchair bound and nothing is too much trouble for the flight crew who always seem willing to help. The food is of good quality and Monarch never charge the disabled extra fees for extra leg room seats whereas Jet2 charge almost £25 each both journeys. I've never met a friendlier bunch of people.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Marco De Oliveira    (UK)

25 Apr 14, ZB 274. 27 Apr 14, ZB 275. Very efficient crew members. The plane was also very comfortable and didn't have the nuisance with trying to sell you stuff as most other budget airlines will do.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by R Orson    (UK)

ZB 496. Stag and Hen party on this flight - the stewardess kept saying they would keep the noise and swearing down, they did move the children and families forward, they did threaten to call ahead for the police, they did say they would not serve anymore alcohol to the stag group, they did say that that would take the passports off those me disputing the flight. The singing and swearing continues. The singing and swearing was relentless and the stewardesses continued with they empty threats, whist serving the culprits more alcohol. Weak handling by Monarch. Most left the plane tense and desperate to get off.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by P Chris    (UK)

Monarch is by far the worst airline I have used, just back from 2 weeks in Spain, over 3 hours late going out due to an aircraft fault, it was complete chaos after loading then being coached back to the departure lounge with no Monarch rep to oversee the situation, no food or drink offered. On returning home 2days ago I have yet to see my lost luggage.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Victor Shannon    (Spain)

Flew BCN-LGW on April 16th, departure was on time and arrival slightly early. The aircraft was a 16 year old A321. The cabin seemed a bit old but very tidy nevertheless. Cabin crew did the best they could to help us, they seemed very professional. My only complaint is the seat. It was really old and rather uncomfortable, although for such a short flight I don't consider this a major inconvenience. They were the cheapest from BCN to London on those dates, and I would certainly fly with them again in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D Judge    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham on flight ZB 446 on 1st April, returning to Birmingham on 8th April on Flight ZB447. I have just returned from my first air travel following a debilitating stroke and cannot praise the crews on both my outbound and inbound flights they made this experience one which I will happily repeat. I would therefore like to say a huge thank you for their excellent customer care and delivering a service which others would benefit from following their example.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Tony Harris    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Tenerife 11/4, initially told of 4 hour delay on checking in, this then turned into 6 hours by the time we took off. To compound matters we had to endure a 2 hour wait at Gatwick for our luggage, having landed at 1am! Will do our best not to fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by R McVicker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Birmingham - Tenerife on 2 April, returning 9 April. Flights on time both ways with good service on board. Do need they extra legroom however.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Bradley Alan    (UK)

Returned from Sharm El Sheik early hours 4th April, should have been evening of 3 April - 5 hours late. Received the usual lies of "yes the plane has left the UK" only to find out it didn't hadn't. Information when available was sketchy at best when it wasn't an outright lie. Whether these issues lie solely with the handling agent or Monarch I am unsure, but it's Monarchs reputation that has hit rock bottom with me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Robert Johnson    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our flights to and from Alicante were on time, clean and tidy with good, if a little slow service. Their Car Hire partners (Firefly), however were a complete disaster. I would never use them again. Over an hour to get a hire car.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by W Resalsingh    (UK)

Flight from Tobago to Gatwick on 02/04/14 delayed for 24 hrs due to problems with the plane. Flight takes off, problem still not solved and had to land at Barbados. 2 days more, passengers still stranded in Barbados and Monarch don't even have the decency to issue something on their website informing friends and family what is going on! At the time of writing, all the passengers are still stranded in Barbados with no idea as to when they are going to get home!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by H Binns    (UK)

I've just returned from a trip to Goa with Monarch (flight only) I was apprehensive, having read all the bad reports but decided to give it a try. I can honestly say I couldn't fault it! No, it doesn't compare to Emirates or Qatar - but neither does the price! It does however, compare favourably with other charters. Ok, it wasn't the latest plane but it was clean and comfortable - the only thing lacking was the back of seat screen but I can live without that. Food was average but again, on a par with other charters. The big plus for me (besides the price) was the cabin crew, without exception they were friendly, professional and helpful - far better than I have experienced with other charters. Check-in went smoothly and both flights were more or less on time. Very happy with my experience and would not hesitate to use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Bishop    (UK)

I fly every week between Spain and England using Ryanair, easyjet, Norwegian and monarch, after 3 years of doing the same trip I can honestly say Monarch are the worst airline by far, what I look for on a short haul flight is on time flying, Ryanair are the best followed by Norwegian then easyjet but Monarch are awful, nearly always a delay with some feeble excuse when we get on the plane!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Mary Middleton    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Just had the same experience as a previous correspondent, Luton - Tenerife. Paid for extra legroom and asked very specifically about seat location and recline. Outward flight fine, A320 with comfortable reclining seat, got 90 mins sleep. Return flight on newer A321 unspeakably uncomfortable, nasty, hard, plastic seat with no recline at all. 4 hours of total discomfort. Cabin staff said Monarch have no seat recline on any seats on new planes. Never, never again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Ron Bagshawe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham, ZB458, Feb 20th 2014 to Lanzarote and returned on March 20th 2014. Cabin Crew on both flights were superb, particularly on return flight to Birmingham where there were 9 disabled passengers on board including myself.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by K Bennett    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote. Outbound journey was alright, the staff were friendly and professional. Inbound journey, firstly our plane was delayed 2.5 hours due to bad weather in Spain earlier in the day. Fair enough you can't help the weather. When we eventually got on the plane it was boiling the air con wasn't working as the back generator had gone. They spent about 30 minutes trying to get both engines to work on just the front generator meanwhile the heat was unbearable. The plane was really shabby and very loud when in flight. You don't get much leg room which is bad for a 4 hour flight. The food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced aswell. Overall it's good for cheap flights but I wouldn't recommend them!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Burnham Tina    (UK)

I will never fly with Monarch again, we had a 14 hour delay from Gatwick. We lost a precious night of our holiday ruined the first day as we were shattered, they didn't provide overnight accommodation so my 5 and 7 year tried to sleep on metal benches in the freezing noisy airport. They didn't even send a member of their own staff to help or give information, the staff on the plane were rude and just couldn't care less.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by S Wood    (UK)

24th Feb, flew to Sharm without a hitch. The seating seemed to be the same as all airlines in economy. Unluckily on the second day of my holiday I suffered a heart attack spending the rest of my holiday in hospital. On my return it was a worry that I was healthy enough to travel. Thankfully after a few questions the decision was made to allow me to travel, The staff were attentive, I was given a seat with extra room and I had a pleasant flight home.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by T Mustoe    (Gibraltar)

My daughter was due to fly today, 5th March but was delayed in traffic getting to Luton. She did however get to check in just 40 minutes before the flight was due to leave (check in was still manned and open). According to the Monarch website 40 minutes is the minimum time allowed for late boarding, she was however refused and had to return home. Last year Monarch left my same daughter stranded in Malaga (the flight was routed the from Gibraltar due to bad weather) the upshot of that was she was left there (during a strike by the Spanish) and I had to pay a small fortune to taxi her into Gibraltar, all this in spite of several fruitless calls to monarch during the several hours she was left there. As she visits me in Gibraltar frequently, as does my other daughter (who experiences no such issues from easyjet) begs the question, do I encourage my daughter to use Gatwick rather than Luton? Never use Monarch unless absolutely no other option is available.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Pearce Eddie    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We flew from Birmingham to Sharm on 25th January. Check in was quick and easy. We had booked extra leg room seats and I'm pleased we did because passengers in economy section looked extremely cramped. Flight departed on time and we actually arrived early. Cabin service was good throughout but if you get hungry I would suggest that you avoid the toasted sandwich - it was like chewing on two pieces of burnt cardboard. Return flight on 4th Feb was delayed by about 40 minutes. Service okay and we would probably use Monarch again - but only if we could get extra leg room seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by B Gross    (UK)

Last week I flew from Gatwick to Gambia. I have travelled world-wide in Economy with other airlines for much longer periods of time and although being cramped I have never had a problem. I never recline my seat, however this journey was made extremely uncomfortable not by the person in front of me but the woman behind. For the first few hours of the flight she had had her feet digging into my back. An hour before we were due to land she woke up and I heard her tutting and mumbling, then quite violently, she shoved my seat forward and held it there. I was in a window seat in row 17 and had previously had the full view of my window and a bit of the one behind. Now I had half of my own window which shows how far forward she had rammed my seat. In response she hurled abuse at me saying that I have been squashing her the entire 6.5 hours etc. I was also quite relieved that I had just finished my cup of hot coffee that I was holding only minutes before. This of course, is not a fault of the airline. I do however believe that if they want to reduce the space of the seats then they should not have the seats be able to recline or be moved at all. The plane was old and shabby and not ideal for a flight that long. I have been on shorter flights in Monarch planes that looked a lot better than this one. On the return flight, I was at the back of the plane and nowhere near the group but as we geared up ready for take off suddenly all the power went out and there were a lot of ashen-faced passengers who were no doubt thinking that had better not happen in the air. We were switched to auxiliary power and told by a very apologetic pilot that it would not happen again. I will not be flying with Monarch again.