Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by Chew Colin    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We returned on November 7th from Tenerife to Manchester on extra legroom, if there had not been a spare seat next to us, I think we may have had to stand up for the remaining 2 hours of our flight. The new seats are so uncomfortable, we try to fly Monarch as much as we can and, we have always been supportive of the airline, but I am not prepared to subject ourselves to another flight with those seats. They may be ok for short 2/3 hour flights, but now the normal time to Tenerife being 4.5 hours is not acceptable for us.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by J Phillips    (UK)

Gatwick to Sanford, first time flying with Monarch. Outward flight very impressed with check in at Gatwick, baggage check in and cleared customs in half an hour, quite disappointed only 20kg allowance on hold bags and 5kg for cabin luggage which is weighed at check-in. Seating on the outward flight was fine, window and middle seat, seats not bad for comfort and leg room, coming back was in middle aisle row 14 and what a nightmare, right under the drop down TV, and as it was an overnight flight back struggled to sleep because of the flashing of the TV, really wish I had an eye mask with me. Monarch supply blanked and pillow but earphones are charged at £2.50, I always take my own anyway so not a problem. Food - considering its airline food was not bad, roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes/mash on return journey, vegetables and gravy, with bread roll, cheese, crackers and a cake of sorts, water with the dinner and tea or coffee brought along. Breakfast a bit disappointing yoghurt and orange juice any other drinks or snacks can be purchased. We purchased from the airport after clearing customs snacks and drinks to take on board and so glad we did. Staff were friendly and professional. Would I recommend afraid not, even though the value for money with the ticket was good, hold baggage is extra cost, to be seated together is extra cost and even then couldn't pick where we wanted to sit. Return flight was full and unfortunately not enjoyable because of the TV and unruly kids although this is not an airline problem.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by C Sharell    (UK)

Travelled from Gatwick to Alicante and back. On the way there had the new seats. They were comfy with a good amount of leg room for a budget flight. Seats were wide and seat belts were long. It was one of the most comfortable low cost flights I've had in years. On return we had old seats. I was shocked at the difference. There was no legroom, I'm 5,9 and my knees were against the seat in front and were painful when I left the plane. It was also very tight to get the table down fully. I hope by next year all flights have the new seats as this would make me choose Monarch over other airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by A Carter    (UK)

Travelled with my 6 year old granddaughter to Malaga on 27/10/14 (ZB654) returning to Manchester on 31/10/14 (ZB655). Booked through Avros. Because I did not book directly with Monarch I was only allowed 5 kg of luggage per person and could not print boarding passes online. Both flights were on time and the pilot was very informative. I pre-booked seats to ensure that we were able to sit together and had seats 11D and 11E on both flights. It was the same aircraft on both flights, I know this because the seat pocket for seat 11E was hanging off! There was a wodge of paper hankies stuck in the emergency exit door. I am 5 ft 7 inches and the leg room was totally unacceptable, only one inch between my knees and the seat in front. I now realise why, in the safety demonstration, we were not given instruction on the brace position was because it would be physically impossible to do so on this aircraft. I would definitely never choose to fly with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Geoffrey Carver    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our Birmingham to Gran Canaria flight was in an A321. Like many of our flights with this airline it was on time. The flight was a little late arriving thanks to strong headwinds, but everything else was satisfactory in most ways. We paid for extra legroom seats and that was certainly worthwhile.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Noah Simmons    (UK)

DLM to LGW. Normal economy seat. Plane left on time, staff were prompt bringing around food that I had pre ordered (very nice by the way, cumberland sausage with a cider gravy. Mash potato and some roasted veg, very impressive). Seats were comfortable, maybe slightly small in the leg room but I'm only 5'8" and was fine for me. No inflight entertainment which would have been nice for a 4hr flight but had a tablet so can't complain. Staff very helpful, drinks were over priced but can't do much about that.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by A George    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Downgraded this review because of the fact that the "new seats" are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in on an airplane. Getting off the plane after a 4 hr flight - the sole topic of conversation amongst all around us was how bad the seats were. We fly with Monarch about 8 times pa - not anymore unless they do something to improve seat comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Tom Farrow    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Absolutely Brilliant. LPA-BHX. Night flight, staff were very good, though check in was a little slow. Flight was amazingly smooth, paid for legroom upgrade. Upgraded legroom seats had much more legroom than Ryanair's seats. Would fly again. Night flight so great views, and pilot kept us well informed during the flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by John Crispin    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We should have flown on ZB1529 from Enfidha to Gatwick at 19.25 on 24 Sept. We finally flew from Tunis at 02.30 the next day. We were not given any information, no food or drink. Feel totally let down by the airline and no customer service as we were finally moved in busses in the dead of night.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Elspeth Stewart    (UK)

Shocking! Do not use Monarch! We are stuck in Madeira, with a four hour delay so far and absolutely no information so far, flying on a Cosmos package. Likely to be stuck here for the night and will miss our connecting flight. The worst thing is the absolute lack of information. I will never use Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Leslie Percy    (UK)

Flight out ZB1354, MAN-DBV, 14/10 Return ZB1355, 18/10. Easy check in, departed on time arrived 30 minutes early. Return journey on time. We had booked extra leg room seats and meals, ok on outward journey but on return journey allocated standard seats, a word with a flight attendant an on showing our invoice we quickly moved to our correct seats all in all enjoyable flights.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by N King    (UK)

Travelled from London Gatwick to Funchal with Monarch and was pleasantly surprised. Seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room and onboard catering seemed reasonably priced. Would fly Monarch again based on this experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Philip Lee    (UK)

Flight staff great a vast improvement on Ryanair. It felt more like flying 20 years ago, the way it should be. I'm 6,3" and found it impossible to sit comfortably due to the lack of leg room - had we not been lucky to have a spare seat on our row I would have been forced to stand throughout the flight. I will never fly Monarch again because of he leg room issue, so back to Ryanair where the leg room is more than ample.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by D Grant    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Manchester to Sharm El Sheikh return recently (ZB 685). Simply one of the worst flying experiences I've had. We did book extra leg room at the airport for £15, which was a good idea because once on board it was £25! The outbound flight did not serve any refreshments until 2 hours into the flight - but did manage to hand out magazines. The duty free trolley on the way back was empty, and the crew said this was due to it being busy on the other flight! They also didn't inform us that the Duty Free at the airport would be closed when we arrived (on arrival the airport staff told us that the airline should have passed this information to us). The worst part however was absolutely no in-flight entertainment for a 6 hour flight. We were told by the crew that this was because most people took their own entertainment with them. I haven't been lied to like this for a long, long time. If you can't be bothered to show entertainment then at least have the front to be honest about it. I personally didn't see anyone around me with an iPad. Added to this was the screaming child we had for the 6 hours - at the very least a movie would have taken my mind off this. Shocking service on all levels, the crew just appeared to be going through the motions. I won't be flying with Monarch again, and I will certainly be passing this message around all my friends and colleagues (which is extensive).

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Kevin Taylor    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I am a frequent flyer with Monarch and a holder of a Vantage card and have experienced an overall decline in conditions and standards over the past three years. It seems that departure times are more of an arbitrary suggestion, the cabin staff are certainly not welcoming, the food is of a very low quality and as for the new seats these are simply terrible very cheap low standard and incredibly uncomfortable - certainly not something you would choose to sit on for more ten minutes. The most recent flight I travelled was on October the 14th from Larnaca to London Luton. The flight was 45 minutes late taking off - the seats were awful and several had broken and repaired with duct tape. They ran out of tea and took one hour to get our luggage on to the carousel. Would I use again, no.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Ken Glasby    (UK)

Flew EMA-Faro on 5th and returned on 15th, quick check in at both ends, flights on time, aircraft clean and well presented the staff on board were helpful. There was a lack of legroom between the seats and the new type seats are not all that comfortable, very hard and lack padding but were suffice for a two hour twenty minute trip. Will use again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Nathan Simpson    (UK)

Premium Upgrade to SAN (FL) well worth it, but having travelled on the Dreamliner with Thomson I would not consider flying monarch again. The drink service isn't regular enough on the flight. The entertainment system is poor, not anywhere near Thomson B787. Monarch is definitely cheaper though, but I would rather pay the extra 150GBP each way in future to fly Thomson. I would recommend for short haul. Not long haul.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by K Miles    (UK)

Flew Birmingham to Split and return. Offered half price extra leg room seats on way out as plane only third full which we accepted. Check in took only ten minutes on both flights. Planes took off and returned on time. Took own refreshments so just had tap water on board. Staff were friendly and professional on both flights, they did run out of things for the return journey. Seat comfort was ok for the two and a half hour flights but would not want much longer in them. Our seats on both flights did recline so I presume they were the old planes. Did notice that the extra leg room seats offered a significant difference. Overall good value for money.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by C Potter    (UK)

We travelled from Manchester to Orlando - took 13 hours because it was delayed and then we didn't get moving for hours whilst on the plane. The staff were rude and didn't care. I didn't eat anything and they don't have TVs in the back of the seats. I thought I had solved the problem by taking my iPad with films on however there where no plug sockets so the ipad ran out of battery. Boring is not the word. The flight back was quicker but we were still delayed by an hour. Never again. We thought cheap flight and a better hotel but we quickly realised that this was a mistake. Just booked for next year and we have not booked with Monarch and will not do so again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by L Oliver    (Cyprus)

Extra Legroom

I'm sad to say between our family members we've flown eight times with Monarch in the past 5 months (4 return flights) and all those were an absolute nightmare. None were on time (varied between 3 and 5 hours previously unannounced and uncommunicated delays). We had to fight to get snack vouchers they didn't want to hand out. Their UK ground handlers (at different airports) failed to turn up on time to deliver steps and buses to remote gates, so passengers were left standing on the planes for 45 minutes after landing before they could even get off the planes. That was before they discovered there were no baggage handlers either. So they and other plane loads of passengers were left sat on the floor of arrivals halls with nothing happening, no luggage and no information and screamingly hungry kids to boot with nowhere for parents of babies to get baby formula for bottles. Passengers were finally and insultingly told to go home and go back the next day for luggage. When your destination is hundreds of miles away from the airport you'd actually want to do the round trip again the next day? The food (very poor quality) is as overpriced as the pathetic snack selection. There's no entertainment, there were no blankets or pillows (even if you were willing to pay for them) and they kept a couple with a young baby waiting half of a five hour flight for a baby's bottle to be warmed. Result one screaming kid for three hours. Thank you Monarch. They don't update passengers about flight delays or baggage delays. As a family we all did the honourable thing and gave them a second chance before having to acknowledge they still screwed everything up. Monarch don't apologise and they refuse to pay compensation as required to do under EU law. We'll never ever fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by P Cavell    (UK)

Poor premium economy. Just back from Florida. Aircraft was old, many monitors not working, the guy next to me had no tray table attached at all. He was given an upturned cardboard box on his lap to eat his dinner from. No drinks offered on return leg with dinner. In fairness, food was ok. Overall not what we paid for.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by D Telford    (UK)

Flight from Gatwick to Sanford, Florida (wheelchair user). Check in was efficient but did not have a lower down counter at Gatwick. 40 minute delay but this was made up whilst en route. Retained wheelchair until the gate. Priority boarding which helped a lot. Lots of room in overhead lockers, probably due to the strict one piece of hand luggage rule being applied. Seats felt a bit claustrophobic despite it being in the premium cabin. Could have been because the seat in front kept reclining as it was faulty. Legroom not too bad (I am 6'3", big build, long legs). Access to the aisle was good once I learnt how to raise the arm rest. Cabin crew were fantastic. Lots of food and drink, always served with a smile. Quite a roomy disabled toilet on board (Airbus A330). Easy disembarkation process. Sanford is an easy airport to use. All in all a very reasonable outward flight. The claustrophobic feeling in the seats is the only reason for not awarding top marks.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by D Giles    (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to Sanford Florida with my wife and two daughters, had an excellent flight in premium cabin, meals, seats, and a truly professional and friendly service from the cabin crew of Monarch Airlines and the same is said with our return flight back to London Gatwick. The only issue Monarch need to address is the inflight entertainment and I'm sure I speak for everybody on the aircraft, picture quality, variety, makes a long haul flight a long long flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Ian Gardner    (UK)

We travel on the BHX-Tenerife route frequently and have found the punctuality pretty good, apart from odd blip , in fact most flights land earlier than scheduled, cabin crew always friendly and the on board snacks of good quality and price (especially the bacon panini!), seats are pretty tight however no issue getting and walking around if you want to stretch your legs, new seats don't recline so that sorts out the inconsiderates who recline the seat in front the minute they sit down. Planes always full or close to being full, sorry to see Monarch are struggling financially, hopefully they will sort things out as route and flight times really convenient. No inflight entertainment, but don't most people have Ipods and tablets these days?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Messer David    (UK)

The flights were on time. The outbound flight was an A321 in good condition and the return was the same but a bit older. The flight attendants were well presented in smart uniforms and did there jobs very well. We had booked inflight meals which were of a good standard. The return flight was quite bumpy due to storms and the food service was stopped due to the rough conditions, which I must agree with. Maybe an extra 1 inch of legroom would be good.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by I Haydock    (UK)

28th Sept 2014, ZB 569 flight Tenerife to Manchester 20.55 delayed 16 hours No Monarch staff present to explain - Iberia staff took us to overnight stay in Santa Cruz. Reason given no crew available. On flight home Pilot gave mechanical failure on previous flight resulted in a delay to obtain parts. If you look at previous claims Monarch seem to use Technical problems to avoid compensation claims.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by D Giles    (UK)

Flew Premium from London Gatwick to Sanford Florida with my wife and 2 daughters and had a wonderful flight outbound and inbound, the meals were excellent. Monarch flight crew very professional and friendly and we found the seats comfortable. The only down side was the inflight entertainment poor quality TV screens and no available information on what is showing on the flight, not that it is worth it. Not good if you are on a long haul flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by J Epton    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Have always enjoyed Monarch flights to Turkey, but never again - the new seats do not recline but worse still are cheap, nasty and almost agonisingly uncomfortable. I got back ache within half of take-off. By the end of the flight I had pins and needles in my right leg. One man in front of me decided to sit on the cabin floor with his back to the cabin wall rather than endure his seat anymore! The extra legroom is a joke because Monarch require you to put some bags under the seat in front which negates the benefits of the extra leg room. Now expensive with appalling seats!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by A Butcher    (UK)

We flew back from Dalaman to Manchester on the 22.20 flight. I had seat 22A which meant a window seat for me. My wife had 22B. The seat was fine and the legroom adequate. I am 5'8" tall and 160lbs. The wife is 4'10" and 116lbs. I could stretch my legs out under the seat in front and I slept for 2 hours unaided by alcohol as I was driving at the other end. I didn't recline the seat. Taller and wider people have an advantage in life generally as they tend to look down on smaller people. So the 4 hour flight was a good experience for us. The flight crew were courteous and we would fly with Monarch again. Taller people, who are generally more advantaged, should pay for extra legroom or drive or sail.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Paul Alcock    (UK)

26/05/2014, Luton - Mahon, ZB38. 30/05/2014, Mahon - Luton,  ZB39. Have flown with Monarch many times from Luton airport, the last trip we took as a couple was to Mahon which we found to be very good. Customer service was excellent and the flight was very comfortable. Snacks were very good value for an airline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Lang Helen    (UK)

We flew from Dalaman to Birmingham on 22nd September 2014. Punctuality was very good in fact we arrived back early. Spacious overhead lockers, very fast baggage reclaim, good legroom because of non reclining seats. Staff were efficient and cheerful. Food not required. The only bad point is the hardness of the seat and the short back of the seat. Would fly with Monarch again but take a neck pillow and something to soften the seat. Information and booking was good. The tablet holder was good but I do not have one. There was good room under the seat for books in a bag.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Alvin Morris    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I travel regularly on the MAN-AGP service and the cabin staff have always been polite and efficient. Flight deck mostly give information of use and sometimes with humour. Time keeping outbound has been good but return from AGP can be frustrating as other low cost airlines appear to shout loudest and depart on schedule. It may be a case of confronting the ground handling agent as to why this happens so often. The new seats are hard and uncomfortable, especially for taller travellers, they have a low back that sticks into your lower should blades. Just about bearable on a 2/3 hour trip but any longer and would be torture. Overall a great airline but a few tweaks by management needed on their operational side. They could give the other low cost airlines a run for their money and worth an extra £5 each way extra on seat cost. Just tell passengers what they are getting for their money, no hidden surprises.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Windsor Andrew    (UK)

We flew with Monday 15th September flying from Gatwick to Alicante. The plane and cabin staff were excellent. We have travelled with lots of different airlines and rate this as one of the best.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by McNamara Sean    (UK)

Recently flew Birmingham to Hurghada. When checking in I asked if we could sit as close to the front of the plane as possible and was allocated row 10. Legroom was ok but seats were of the old variety. I thought Monarch were retrofitting their seats so it was disappointing to get the old armchair seats. Service Onboard was great. Check in at Hurghada was a different story. I again asked if we could be sat quite close to the front but was told that we had to pay for extra legroom seats. Speaking to one check in agent, he said it was £30 per seat but as 5 people were travelling he would do us a deal of 3 seats for the price of 5. I doubt this was company procedure and the monies would have made their way into the check in agents pockets. Appreciate Monarch can't vouch for all those working in behalf of the company but they need to be aware that others are trying to profit from their usual jobs as we have been seated in what are the extra legroom seats on return flights free of charge previously. Service was slow onboard but we landed 40 mins ahead of schedule.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Anita Badwal    (UK)

Monarch airlines are too basic. Although we had issues, Monarch made our 3 hour journey to Corfu in August very dull and boring. No entertainment, no blankets or pillows on night flights and the food had no variety and was a rip off. Whilst sitting on the flight waiting to leave, we saw our luggage being taken off the plane, then later we were told they had put the our luggage in another plane and theirs on ours, so had to wait for the swap! Lovely staff though and great pilots.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by M Anogianakis    (UK)

Monarch informed me in advance of time change of outbound flight due to operational reasons. I understand this is happening to all airlines not just Monarch. I was more annoyed as the inbound flight was delayed 2 hours. Check-in agent didn't inform neither me nor other passengers of the delay. When we checked-in at Manchester, we were met by an unprofessional lady who seemed not to care about customer service. We were given 2 aisle seats, I chose not to pay for online check-in but I asked if there was any chance seating next to my girlfriend, the response was: no I'm sorry plane is full. Once we were aboard the plane was half empty. Monarch cabin crew are really good and professional.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by M Brockie    (UK)

Manchester to Antalya, 4-11th September. Flights 0520 and 0521. Flight on time. Service good but cramped seating and legroom which meant your knees touched the seat in front made the journey most uncomfortable. Impossible to cross legs or stand up to relieve discomfort. Monarch seem to have increased the number of extra legroom seats at the expense of other passengers presumably to make more money. Never again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by W Ryan    (UK)

This was my first time attempting to fly with Monarch and I will never try this again. The date of travel was 8th Sept 2014 when there was a security alert at Luton Airport where the flight was to originate. I will only address my remarks to Monarch rather than the chaos and mayhem which occurred at the airport. The basic problem was their complete lack of communication with passengers and the complete lack of any Monarch representatives at the airport. All the other airlines were decisive even if it meant the cancellation of flights and made some effort to assist their passengers. I could not help noticing that Ryanair were the first back on their feet and giving coherent advise to their passengers. After waiting hours after the other airlines, Monarch cancelled everything giving no guidance as to how we should get out of the departure area, when and where we could get our baggage back, what if anything we were now being offered etc. The screens in the baggage arrival hall were out of action and it appears that Monarch simply put all the bags from their cancelled flights on any carousel where space was available even if these were being used for the now incoming flights as well. I could go on about this airline where unrelated strike action is now forecast which gives me yet another reason not to use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Yates Jeffrey    (UK)

Manchester - Alicante 31st August. Due departure 17.30. Actual departure 21.20. Flying with Monarch is becoming a gamble as far as punctuality is concerned. A later flight was cancelled and I believe consolidated with ours, due to lack of passengers. It's a great shame as we've used them for 10 years, fairly regularly and the flight staff are generally pretty good. However Ryanair are much more punctual! Already suffering financially - if they don't sort these problems, they will not be around much longer! Daughter flew with them last night on same route - 5 hour delay!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Jo Healey    (Australia)

We were involved in last week's Luton evacuation. After a 3 hour flight from Malaga (landed 14:15pm) we were unable to exit the aircraft for another 5 hours. There was no offer of food or beverages, apart from a cup of warm water (self serve). We did not receive regular updates, we could see other people outside on the tarmac. The pilot was obnoxious telling us that "at least we had a seat" and I did not feel he was advocating on our behalf to get us off, given that the news reports advise the airport was reopened shortly after the 5:15pm "controlled explosion" and we did not exit the aircraft until after 6:30pm. The pilot advised that they too were stuck on the aircraft, however as I pointed out, his seats weren't near the toilets, he had a nice view (and I would hazard a guess some refreshments). The crew also felt it was appropriate to eat their wraps and peanuts in front of us, when we were not offered any refreshments. They gave us some story about "customs regulations". Even the Luton Airport staff offered us bottles of water as we exited. The toilets we disgusting after the first 2 hours, with so many people using them, and our seats were just outside. You can really tell the calibre of an organisation in a crisis and Monarch fell well short in my opinion. Absolutely disgraceful!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by T Hall    (UK)

Just flown back from Dalaman Turkey with Monarch Airlines. By far the worst seats I have experienced on a plane. The new seats are fixed back, they do not recline. This wouldn't be so bad if they were actually comfortable however they are not. The seats are covered with only a thin layer of padding, you may as well be sitting on a plastic chair, and they are curved to reflect the curvature of the spine, this is great, however it means the only way to try and sit comfortably is bolt upright! When you do this there is nowhere to rest your head as the seats are quite short. You end up having to rest your head back onto a rock hard edge. Our flight was 05.00am. As you can imagine everyone on board was tired. The whole plane was full of people moaning how bad the seats were. Personally I would rather pay a little extra on another airline than fly with Monarch again because of this. I do hope Monarch read these reviews and take customer complaints seriously as they have lost a customer in me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by D Highton    (UK)

Terrible reliability. We were flying Manchester to Barcelona to meet our cruise ship and were sat on the tarmac for over an hour whilst they tried to fix a technical fault. I think they were on the brink of cancelling the flight as a replacement part could not be found, then it just started working again. On the return flight we landed on time and then stood around for over an hour in baggage reclaim due to another "technical problem" as they couldn't open the door to offload the cases - we certainly wont be flying with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by K Gill    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Antalya in Turkey in September. Flight out was delayed a little but what aren't these days. Seats were so comfortable and the design of them allowed everyone to have so much leg room they thought they had paid for an upgrade. Flight back was bang on time. Service by the crew was excellent. I have flown with Monarch many times to Antalya now and have only ever had positive outcomes.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Crust Giles    (UK)

I had the misfortune of travelling back from Venice on a Monarch flight on Saturday. I will never travel with them again. The fiasco started with the baggage deposit and boarding ticket collection in Venice airport at 11am. No quick line for baggage hand-over, the weighing belts failed, general chaos ensued. Finally everyone was processed and flight on time, 12.50 to Gatwick confirmed. 12.30 arrived and we were told boarding on time, proceed to gate 26. By now there were rumours the flight would not take off from Venice till 4pm. Gate 26 showed delay till 1.15, questions asked of Monarch reps and were told French air traffic control problems so new take off time 3pm. Manchester flight just the same. We were told no person from Monarch was in the airport. Vouchers given out for drink and snack but with huge numbers affected cafe could not cope. Take off time now 4pm. 3.30pm told to board at last. Got onboard at 3.45pm then told by captain we would take off shortly as there was a dispute of Italian workers which would end at 4.30pm. 5pm we finally took off, staff would not honour the vouchers of the people who had not been able to redeem them in Venice. The captain then informed passengers that they knew of this strike at 6am, as did most of the world. As far as I and I believe everyone on that flight no longer have faith in the liars from Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by S Shaw    (UK)

We flew from Birmingham airport UK on Tuesday 31st August to Tenerife. We have flown with Monarch many times before and have been pleased each time. However things seem to have changed. The new seats are terrible the fact they don't recline is no problem but the lack of thickness of it makes the seat uncomfortable after an hour. The staff were the worst we have encountered.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Tim Cummins    (UK)

LGW to Skiathos on August 22nd, returning on 29th. Outbound delay of nearly 3 hours, return delay (so far) 4.5 hours. Monarch certainly knows how to undermine your holiday experience. My advice: find an alternative.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Hickey    (UK)

We flew Gatwick to Heraklion. Airbus A321 both ways, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Delayed 2 hours leaving Gatwick, but was no problem as staff kept us well informed. Monarch's newer seats have more legroom than the old ones, but are far less comfortable than the old seats, as the new ones don't recline and they're quite solid. But it's only a short flight, so it's fine. Would fly monarch again and happily recommend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Paul Howgate    (UK)

Just flown back from Gibraltar with them. The flight was delayed, passenger boarding eventually started then stopped. Chaos ensued with very angry ground staff doing their best. Once onboard the loading stopped again as the disabled passengers suddenly arrived for boarding, clearly no liaison with ground. What followed was like a scene from a comedy film, terrible. Eventually and after much delay we got underway. Complete bunch of amateurs. If this is what they call fighting for their jobs, well best of luck, they will need it. Plenty of alternatives out there.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Mark M Clelland    (UK)

5/7/2014 and returned 19/7/2014, flight ZB684 and returning ZB685. MAN-SSH (plane reg GS-MAN) flew also on GS-MAN last year and flight was very good, cabin staff lovely and attentive, boarding was seamless and so was the disembarkation which took place at 12 am midnight. Monarch staff in both airports brilliant.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Stevens    (UK)

Extra Legroom

LGW to ACE, 24/7/14 return 8/8/14. Good on time flights in extra legroom seats, well worth the extra cost. In flight meals also very good and much improved. New plane on the way out. Cabin crew very obliging. Overall a good start and finish to our holiday.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by D Lymer    (UK)

Flown twice this year with Monarch - Tenerife in April then Orlando in July. Both times really impressed especially the Orlando flights. We upgraded to the Premier cabin which both being 6ft I'm glad we did. Plenty of leg room. Coming back you are given free entry to the airport lounge with two free beers and free snacks, great way to relax. Boarded first and our luggage was taken off first so no waiting at Gatwick. Better than our BA flight last year to Orlando.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by P Yeomans    (UK)

Birmingham flight to Venice, ZB 5484. 27th July. Local radio warns of delays on busy weekend so arrive 3 hours before take off, takes nearly 3 hours to check in, not because of volume of passengers, but because only 2 of the 10 desks were open! Situation not helped by the fact that 3 desks were open for online check in! After 1 hour, Monarch staff resorted to calling for people whose flights were imminent to go over to the online desks. It was only after this that the online desk opened to everyone else. Flight was delayed for 20 minutes and onboard staff were not aware of check in problems. Not a good start to a holiday, an explanation would be appreciated as to why only 2 desks were open for what was known to be a very busy weekend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Worton    (UK)

Gatwick to Faro, 22/7/2014. Plane due to depart 06.50 finally went 10.10. Accept there are delays and technical problems which need to be resolved before planes take off. The issue is always communication. Having been called to the gate as expected it is the lack of updates to advise what is happening. When will airlines realise that the issue just annoys it's clients. The most infuriating issue is the ground staff do not give frequent enough updates, especially when the updates provided contradict a text you have previously received from the airline text service to say the delay will be longer and this is the true time. It's funny how the staff don't want to tell you truth which is all the passenger wants. Please learn.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Southwell    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch but flight was chartered by Simpson Travel so check in separate therefore am unable to comment on this aspect. Flight itself was excellent in every respect. Friendly, helpful staff who made the journey pleasant. Food some of the best airline food I have had, the larger carriers could learn from their suppliers. We paid for extra legroom, but on the return we were in the new aircraft which has plenty of room in the non extra legroom seats so I would check whether you need to pay for the extra space on short flights. Would definitely fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by C Carney    (UK)

Naples to Luton, 25th July, ZB 3596 0 put on a faulty plane for 3 hours. Taken off spent 5.5 hours corralled in airport with nowhere to sit. Given 12 euro vouchers for refreshments in airport which were refused at the till. Taken to hotel in Naples overnight. Taken back to airport could not check in as computer said no. Eventually boarded plane and took off 2.5 hours late as 18 people had vanished leaving bags on board. These had to be removed. No food on plane. No communication in airport. Eventually got to Luton over 22 hours Late. Disgusting treatment and a whole wasted day. Never again. Spoilt my holiday.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Karen Ostler    (UK)

Recently flew Gatwick to Sanford premium economy, I was very worried as I had read many bad reviews, but there was no need. From the moment we checked in the service was excellent we had no delays, boarding and take off were very quick. The leg room was great, I'm 5 ft 4 and my husband 5 ft 10 and we were very pleased with the spacious comfortable seats we had. We sat in rows A 3,4 and B 3,4, there were TVs in the seat backs, entertainment was great with a good choice of films. We had a continuous service from the air hostesses with drinks and food, and my daughters enjoyed their free blankets. On arrival the airport did keep us waiting to disembark, but this was not Monarch's fault. Premium economy passengers luggage comes off first, so it was a quick get away too. Would definitely fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Catherine Brown    (UK)

Flew on 25 July from Manchester to Majorca then returned back on 1 Aug. First time flying with Monarch, we had a great flight there and back - no delays, cabin crew very nice and friendly. Captain kept us up to date on our travels. Meals on flight very good, great value for money.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Rhys Crompton    (UK)

Travelled on flight MON349 from Gatwick to Orlando Sanford. Flight was delayed by an hour which although it sounds bad we made up time and landed only 5-10 minutes late. The plane although it is old it was perfectly fine and the seats were in brilliant condition. You are supplied with a clean fleecy blanket and pillow which are very comfortable. The flight was good, meal service was served twice and rubbish collections were frequent. The only negative would be the in-flight entertainment as there are no seatback TV's only in the aisle, movies are old and bad quality. But I brought my tablet and watched some movies on there which were perfectly fine. Overall the flight was good and although it's not the likes of Virgin and BA, you get what you pay for which is the cheapest.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by M Docherty    (UK)

I have just flown from Manchester to Faro. 1 hour delay on the outbound due to bad weather and heavy traffic, 1/2 hour on the way back too but actually made the time back due to a strong tail wind. Aircraft was a new A321, very clean, quiet and smooth on both sectors with adequate legroom too . Cabin crew very attentive and friendly and very informative updates from the flight deck. The Captain actually came into the cabin on the inbound leg and was making my little boy laugh! Overall very impressed with them and would have no hesitation in flying with this excellent airline in the future. NO IFE on board for reference.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by C Thompson    (UK)

Flew to Dubrovnik from Gatwick. Plane on time on both outward and return leg. On way back the aircraft had the new seats fitted which in spite of their thinness were very comfortable. Staff friendly and very attentive. Definitely a cut above the usual budget airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Wright Suzi    (UK)

Flew from Birmingham to Las Palmas (23/06/14) returned (01/07/14). We flew on the airbus A321 which I believe is one of their newer fleet. Now down to the nitty gritty! 100% would fly with Monarch again.. Take off 15 mins late but arrived 10 mins early, took off on time coming back and was back half an hour early. Check in was good both ways, went smoothly including collecting luggage! Staff both ways were friendly and polite plenty of leg room too! Having flown with Thomson last year, this plane was far better. Food was expensive but nonetheless tasty!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by James Ducker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We have flown with Monarch many times, this time (8/7/14) from East Midlands to Tenerife. As always we had a very pleasant experience! Online check-in meant we didn't have to queue at the airport. There were plenty of baggage drop desks and no problem getting through. The plane was on time and landed early due to a tail wind. The new cabins look very smart and I found the new seats to be very comfortable. I'm glad they've done away with the reclining seats. Who wants to spend 4hours with passenger in front's head inches away from your face? We always pay for extra legroom as my partner is 6'7" and so we have no complaints about legroom. The plane was spotless, I think having a place for your tablet/iPad is a genius idea. The cabin crew were all very efficient. I think the inflight food and drinks are expensive though, but it's up to you if you want to buy or not. I saw one passenger with her packed lunch so I suppose you could always do the same. Having flown with Jet2 and Easyjet recently I find Monarch to be a cut above the usual Budget airlines. As I said, I have flow with Monarch many times, and I still will.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by S Adam    (UK)

Absolutely pleasantly surprised. Flew from Dubrovnik to Gatwick, and despite leaving 15min late, we arrived 10min early. The cabin crew were friendly, attentive and smiling throughout the flight. Well done Monarch, already looking forward to the next holiday flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Maria Riley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Manchester (MAN) - Dalaman (Turkey) (DLM), 5 Jun - 19 Jul 2014. Disgusted with Monarch 3yrs on the trot, now they have changed our flight times. They are still selling the flight we should be going back home on of which should of been a reasonable hr at 11.10 arriving at Manchester at 1.35am, now departing at 1.50 am and landing at 4.05 am. We will not fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Row    (UK)

Flight ZB846, Luton to Alicante - Sunday 13 July 2014 delayed by over 9 hours due to a technical fault. Monarch staff not in attendance. Only had one member of Monarch staff in the airport with an airside pass. Customers got so unhappy that police were called. Menzies, the Monarch handling agents disappeared and refused to help passengers.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by E Patel    (UK)

ZB648 2nd July and ZB649 7th July. Return flight with to Larnaca. Good points, flights on time and UK bag drop was quick and easy. Bad points, was not impressed with the service, not one single member of staff spoke to us. Very budget airline, ok for a 2 hr flight but not for anything longer. The seats were very uncomfortable and no entertainment of any sort provided. Check in process at Larnaca airport was a farce and took over an hour just to drop bags as we had already checked in online to "speed up" the process. I spoke to a member of staff at the airport about poor service and was ignored, I have since emailed them and again have been ignored.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Harry Bratley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Excellent flight from Leeds Bradford to Larnaca. Flight left 15 minutes late but arrived 20 minutes early. Pre- booked extra legroom seats which were very comfortable with lots of space. Almost new A320 very quite and smooth. They had a special offer on pre-booked meals so, took advantage of the offer. I wasn't expecting much in quality but was pleasantly surprised how good and tasty the whole meal was and it even included a free Kenco coffee which would have cost us £2.50 anyway so, for £7.00 excellent value for money. Cabin crew were very attentive and pretty much refrained from the shouting offers that you get on Jet 2 flights. Return flight was affected by ATC strikes but was reassured to receive a text message from Monarch on the morning of departure advising that our flight was still operating although it may be subject to delay. They pulled out all the stops and we returned 2 hours late. This is the first time I have flown with Monarch for quite a few years and they are definitely a cut above other low cost airlines. I just hope that they expand their destinations from Leeds Bradford even more as Jet 2 and their ancient 'planes are becoming too complacent. Well done Monarch and looking forward to flying with you again from LBA to Lanzarote in November.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by J Davis    (UK)

I have just flown back from Turkey on Monarch. I will never fly with them again. Their new seating is the most uncomfortable airline seating I have experienced. No recline, fair enough. No comfort, just hard plastic. Nowhere to put books etc but they show off about somewhere to put your tablet!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by William Davidson    (UK)

Monarch charter, Manchester to Orlando Sanford, 20th June. Return 4th July. Excellent trip in premium cabin. On time, service by all crew was superb.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Taylor    (UK)

MON349 - 5th June 2014, inbound MON348, 13th June 2014. Recently returned from a weeks holiday to Florida, booked with Monarch. I have absolutely no complaints about them at all. The concierge team are brilliant, answering all our questions in a reasonable amount of time, all staff were friendly and couldn't seem to do enough for you. The plane was an A330 and although I was told by another passenger that it was older than her (she must have been 60), it was really clean and in my opinion had plenty of leg room. The food was plentiful, although I did think the food on the outbound flight was a lot better than the inbound one. All seats had a clean fleece and pillow and if not upgrading to premium seating, all had good views of the overhead TV screens. I wouldn't hesitate to use Monarch/Cosmos again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Bentley    (UK)

Venice to Gatwick on Thursday 3rd July. Never again. The outward flight check-in was disorganised. When we got on the aircraft, it was as cramped as I have ever experienced. At least it got there (to Venice) on time. The return flight was two hours late setting off, and boiling hot. One member of staff was quite unsmiling - perhaps she was as fed up as we were. Water was £1.70 a bottle. When we arrived in Gatwick, we just sat there - the steps were not there, the doors did not open. Eventually we disembarked. The baggage took ages to partly-arrive, and even longer before it arrived in full. We were late, tired and fed up. As I said, never again. The one compensation is that it did at least get us to and from our destination. That's the only positive I can offer.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Griffin    (UK)

I recently travelled from Luton to Sharm El Shiek. I have to say the catering has greatly improved. There was a choice of main course meals which were imaginative and very tasty, I had the Mediterranean beef which was like a Greek Stifardo. Also Monarch have stopped doing teas and coffees in those silly little cups on a tray with the most awful stewed cheap tasting coffee. They now have large PG Tips or Kenco cardboard cups with decent flavoured coffee. I do have a gripe. I really miss having an in-flight film on flights of more than 3 hours. Egypt was over 5 and I think that is long flight with no entertainment. Also seats must be more flimsy as I increasingly feel peoples knees etc digging in.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by D Wolstencroft    (UK)

Manchester to Barcelona and return. Great flights - new plane (Airbus 321), seating ok for 6ft 2" person, flights on time, both ways, cabin crew very helpful to less able passengers (helping with bags etc) and friendly - even though flight was packed. Good control of louder passengers. Good information from the flight deck - no hard sell. Overall - very impressed.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by A Paraskeva    (UK)

Flew twice with Monarch. Outbound and Inbound. My flights were ZB994 and ZB995 20/06/14-27/06/14, Birmingham to Hurghada and back. First time flying Monarch, Hurghada new destination for them. Thought give it a try as they were offering really good prices compared to other airlines. £178 each way per person which is really good for Egypt! Flights on time, cabin crew were really polite and helpful on both flights. Check in staff are really good. We arrived early for check in, and they checked us in early as well as checking in the hand luggage too. Had the old cabin on both flights, G-OZBE on ZB994 and G-OZBG on ZB995. Cabin's are really cramped for a 6 hour flight, but for the price we paid, couldn't really expect first class, no entertainment provided either, which was surprising for a long flight, was prepared anyway bringing my own. Would recommend, would travel again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Topping Ray    (UK)

Extra Legroom

On Friday 28th June we were in Alicante waiting for ZB 682 to arrive, all other Monarch flights were on time. Eventually the flight came up on the board. Passengers assembled waiting to embark on a flight that had at that time not arrived, this lasted for more than 1 hour. On the eventual embarkation the Captain explained that they had experienced a slight technical problem which took a few minutes to resolve. When fixed requested a push back from the handlers Swiss Air who reportedly said their employees where committed elsewhere. 1 hour later the plane was put into service. On arrival the turn around was reasonable. The return journey was good until we reached the flagship Manchester Airport where we waited for 1 hour 20 minutes for the luggage to appear.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by P Harvey    (UK)

On our 50th wedding anniversary despite being notified at check-in and on aircraft - we did not even get a free cup of water from these poor service s- Lufthansa gave us a champagne business class breakfast with so much food we could not eat it all. Avoid Monarch they are appalling and only want to sell meals and duty free! Never again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Dredge    (UK)

On the return flight from Venice to Gatwick we were prompted by the announcement over the tannoy that we could now purchase hot and cold snacks and drinks as displayed in the flight brochure. We were only about 6 rows from the back of the plane but when we asked for bacon paninis we were told that they didn't have any, or any rolls or any sandwiches. We then asked for muffins only to be told that they had none of these either. When we asked the attendants why they advertised products that they did not sell we were told that "they had a busy outward flight"! We are only average sized people but found the seat spaces to be very cramped, thankfully only for the 2hr flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Mel Draper    (UK)

Flew to Tenerife on 15 June, no delays, cabin crew lovely. Flew home on 25 June, delay due to France air traffic strike, again crew were fab, return flight was on older plane but couldn't fault them at all.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Dorricott    (UK)

Just returned from Fuerteventura on Monarch flight although holiday was with Thomson, never again! This is the 3rd time we've had a very uncomfortable flight, I'm 5ft 5 and was cramped, my husband is a lot taller and he had his knees jammed into the seat in front and couldn't move, if this is a sample of Thomson and Monarch cost cutting we will be making sure we travel with a different operator in future. To be fair the crew were ok and looked after passengers. When we arrived at Birmingham we were on the far side of the tarmac and had to be bussed in at 1am.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Z Temperton    (UK)

Manchester to Palma, ZB533, 03/06/14. Return - Palma to Manchester, ZB534, 12/06/14. I thought Monarch were brilliant! Easy check in, set off bang on time, smooth flight, friendly staff, quick baggage reclaim, all of which was repeated on my return journey! Plus on the way there we got moved to extra leg room seats because the flight was quiet. Would definitely use again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Jones    (UK)

Cramped seats, chocolate sauce on floor from previous flight which I had to cover up with napkins. Aggressive cabin crew - hassling me about a case in the locker which didn't belong to me - telling another passenger to behave because he standing up, when in fact he'd been to the toilet and requested to do this from another crew member - no apology offered. Patronizing lecture about zero-tolerance of bad behaviour - do they think they are the Police force or something? Not a cheap flight either £200 Manchester-Portugal - yet they have the budget Arline mentality that we are cattle and they can be patronising and arrogant with us.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Andrew Wood    (UK)

Extra Legroom

10/6 - 19/6 2014, ZB234 and ZB235. A good flight to Lanzarote, we paid £25 e/w for the front of the aircraft, if like me you are 6ft 6, you like the extra room, the ground staff at both Lanzarote and Gatwick were very smart and helpful. I hope to fly with them again soon.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Whitehead Richard    (UK)

First time I have ever travelled on Monarch from Gatwick to Faro - never again. Outbound flight ZB216 should have arrived at 16.30 but only arrived at 19.00. Return flight ZB217 was also delayed but the seating is deplorable, no leg room and when you fold down the tray you are wedged in your seat with no space at all. Seating also very worn, exposed springs, generally rather "down at heel". Certainly an airline to be avoided.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Roger Taylor    (UK)

On flight ZB932 from B-ham to Tenerife, 10/06/2014, plane had the New seats fitted. Slim line seats give the feel of more room, but the base of the seat is virtually unpadded. Cannot believe these seats have been tested by any senior management, maybe they should have them fitted in the boardroom, I will guarantee the meeting will not last more than 1 hour let alone 4 hours the flight time to Tenerife. Came back on the old seated plane, what a difference, its called comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Peter Wine    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I cannot understand why people complain about Monarch. OK our flight to Tenerife was 3 hours late going and 3 hours late coming back (all our other Monarch flights have been just about on time). However the A330 airbus was one of the best aircraft's we've been on in years. The extra leg room seats in the front compartment were great and it was very quiet compared to other aircraft's we've flown on. But here is your food for thought. While other airlines have come and gone over the years Monarch have been on the scene since 1968.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by A Newman    (UK)

Used Monarch to fly from Lanzarote - Manchester, 2nd June. I am compelled to write a review as the seat quality was the worst I have ever experienced on any form of transport. Literally, old bus seats are better. The seats are narrow, not cushioned, no legroom, nowhere to store anything eg sweets magazines. I am 6" and 13.5 stone. My head was above the seats, my knees touched the seat in front, and there is just no room. The flight was a night - I was with my kids who were trying to sleep - the stewardesses kept waking them up - unforgivable. We travelled to Lanzarote on Thomas Cook - I sincerely regret choosing Monarch for return fight and will Never use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Maybury Andrew    (UK)

Booked on a Monarch flight from Rome to Birmingham on 8th June. Flight was cancelled just prior to boarding time. We received no support or assistance at all. All we were told was to email Monarch customer relations. I did not have the facility to do this. No concern shown as to whether anyone had money to make alternative flight arrangements or obtain food. I am a diabetic so could have been left without any food or medication but luckily had taken my credit card so managed to purchase something to eat and tickets back to Birmingham via Munich. I would never travel with Monarch again as they seem to have no acceptance of any duty of care to their customers. Absolutely inexcusable lack of care for all booked on that flight. Disgrace!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Neil McDougall    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch to Funchal in May. ZB746. Inbound and outbound on time. Plane very clean and staff very friendly with nice smiles. Heavy cross wind at Funchal made for difficult landing (one of the most taxing airports in the world) but the captain did a great job getting us down safely after the first attempt was aborted. Would always choose Monarch ahead of Easyjet and would not contemplate RyanAir.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Hahlo    (UK)

Flight 533 from Majorca to Manchester, 1st June. This flight left Majorca 2 hours later than stated. This in itself is not a major complaint. What was annoying was the failure of the staff and airline to provide information about the delay. The only information that was given was a terse phrase on the flights board. the only information that was given was shortly before the arrival of the delayed flight that it was due to land in 15 minutes. Communication is everything. To neglect it and your customers is a major error of judgement.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Sophie Wogden    (UK)

I recently took my first flight with Monarch Airlines and found the experience was not a good one. Since booking the flight in January, the flight time was changed twice and brought forward by several hours. The first time I received absolutely no notification from Monarch and it was discovered entirely by chance. As we were a large group living 100 miles from the airport this had a big impact on our travel plans. On arrival at the airport we found the check-in staff were rude, unhelpful and altogether unpleasant. This continued whilst on the flight making the whole experience one I would not wish to repeat. I was with a different airline on my return journey and found the opposite - it was a great, friendly service offered for 1/3 of the price. I should also mention that the in-flight food was appalling - overpriced, served at a dangerously high temperature and essentially inedible.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Maria Rosendale    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew 2nd June from Cyprus and had the new style seats. This is the 2nd time as had in October last year as well. They are the most uncomfortable plane seats I have ever had the misfortune to sit in. They are narrower than before and also have virtually no padding. My partner is 6'2" and his head is way above the top of the seat. This means there is no support at al. They have made the aisle wider which means the seating area has to be narrower. Monarch really are not listening to their customers. I would rather travel further to another airport than suffer these seats again. I think if you are short and on a 2 hour flight you can suffer these but for 4 plus hours they really are not acceptable.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Timothy Griffin    (UK)

ZB439 from Fuerteventura to Birmingham, Sat 31st May 2014. Fantastic flight, lovely friendly cabin crew and to top it all off a brand new Airbus A321.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by S Cannon    (UK)

Extra Legroom

ZB546, MAN- ACE. Have travelled on this route numerous times and always been happy with the experience, but was very disappointed with my flight on Thurs. Check in - Bag drop desk manned by member of staff who had started that day, told luggage too heavy and tried to charge £120 excess baggage despite both cases being under allowance printed on our boarding card, obviously not trained very well. Had to get Supervisor to sort out. Boarding at gate 300 at Manchester always means a delay, when using the remote stands why don't they start the process a few minutes earlier. Gate again staffed by obviously new staff, very disorganised and checking of ticket against passport lax to say the least, which is concerning. On board for almost 90 mins before take off as two people checked in bags and not turned up at gate, so quite rightly bags had to be found and removed. Surely however given it took an hour to find the bags the people must of turned up by then, surely common sense should prevail and if people found and bags not let the people fly. I did wonder, given no checks were made on board to double check, if the people had boarded, in the confusion at the gate, if this was just an excuse, as I know this flight has departed over an hour late every week for the past five weeks. Can't wait for my trip later in the summer on the same flight to see if the same people don't turn up again. Flight ok, this was one of the older A321's with new seating which was not comfortable. Our return flight was put back two hours a few weeks before we came away from 8pm to 10pm no discount offered however given it changed from an evening flight to a night flight and I notice that on time performance of this flight is poor to say the least. We shall wait and see.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Hobbins Jeff    (UK)

29 May 2014. Flight ZB547 from ACE. The food, cider sausages and cheesy mash with vegetables was delicious. Clean modern plane but the seats wouldn't recline and I was knackered. I only posted because of the food quality.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by A Scott    (UK)

We booked a holiday to Benidorm with David Urquhart Travel. I specifically booked a flight which was supposed to be leaving Manchester Airport at 2pm on 11th May 2014. A few days before we were due to fly we received a telephone call to say that the flight had been put to 5.30 pm which we were not very happy about. When we arrived at the airport we were informed at check in that the flight would not be leaving until 7.40 pm. We eventually departed at 8.45 pm, 6 hours and 45 minutes after our original time. Most of the other passengers were grumbling and it seemed pretty clear that the original flight of 2pm had been taken off. We finally arrived at our hotel at 2 am local time, after setting off from our home at 2 pm the previous day. The seats were so closely packed together that my knees were up against the seat in front, we could barely get the trays down in front of us and it was impossible to recline the seats, as that would have given no room for the people behind us. To add to this, the stewards wheeling the trolleys met right against our seats and were there for about 20 minutes constantly opening the metal doors to get out items and letting the doors bang against our seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by J Kell    (UK)

Leeds Bradford to Heraklion, Crete. Plane clean and tidy both out and inbound. Sat on row 30 both ways and legroom atrocious for a 6ft male. Journey took four hours and I felt crippled by the end. I usually fly Jet 2 and their legroom is much better. I do not understand why airlines with such poor legroom have seats that recline, this just increases the discomfort of the person behind.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by N Hind    (UK)

Flew EMA to Malaga and back on the same aircraft. Plenty of legroom, new looking seats and generally clean. On time both ways.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Paul Habgood    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote return, planes clean and tidy, cabin crew polite. Leg room okay no different than Easyjet. Flights on time outbound & return, would have no hesitation booking with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by G Carraro    (UK)

I flew with Monarch many times with no major problems - it is a budget airline so expectations are low. However, twice this year I had one of their newly refitted aircraft : the seats are non-reclinable and very hard. I do not usually suffer from back-ache but I had to take a pain killer half away through the flight. For Rome to London a little over 2 hours flight this was bearable, although painful. But for a night 5 hours 40 minutes journey from Hurgada (Egypt) to London it is torture. I will not use them again for longer flights.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Rhys Crompton    (UK)

Flew from Alicante to Luton return. I fly with Monarch once or twice a year on this route and have for over 5 years. Cannot fault the airline, planes are clean, comfortable and more or less new. The cabin crew were very friendly and helpful. About 3 years ago my flight was cancelled due to snow in the UK which is understandable. Monarch dealt with the situation well and put me up in a hotel free of charge for a flight the next morning; brilliant. This is why I fly with Monarch because the likes of Ryanair and easyJet would not have done this to help me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Kai Savage    (UK)

Flew ZB7414/15 last month on an Airbus A321 with a newly fitted interior. The seats were so comfy and I've never had so much legroom in a non-extra legroom seat (7A/7F). I always fly Monarch when I can because they're staff are outstanding and the biggest delay I've ever had in my 32 flights with them was 25 minutes due to weather. Love Monarch and would recommend them to anyone. Ignore the bad reviews because I've flown with them 32 times and never experienced anything of the sort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by T Mickenson    (UK)

Flight to Rome 1st May from Birmingham - Flight MON 5408 and returned on Fri 2nd May on Flight MON 5409. Have flown with Monarch many, many times, and will do so as often as possible in the future. The Cabin Crew are the company's biggest asset - they are very helpful and give 100% service to everyone on board. My latest trip was to Rome - What a great flight. Always on time as was this flight, but if not only a few minutes late and this is not always down to the airline. Almost always they make up time during the flight. Food on board always of good quality for the price - Fleet is a little old, but understand new planes on order - Looking forward to getting on one of these - All in all a great company to travel with - have been treated like cattle on Easyjet and Ryanair, always try to use Monarch whenever possible.  Well Done to all at Monarch - Keep up the good work.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by S McNamara    (UK)

Flew Hurghada to Gatwick last night and the overwhelming issue is the lack of information at the airport about a delayed flight. All info boards had the flight as 20.05 but the boarding card has it as an hour later. When our supposed original boarding time came and went, the boards then changed to say the flight was delayed. When checking in, no one said the inbound flight was going to be delayed. Onboard, the pilot advised we were going to be late taking off as air traffic control didn't like their flight plan. All in all, we landed 2 hours later then we were scheduled to. Onboard, the flight on the A321 were uncomfortable, leg room was ok for a 6'5" male but you have to remember space is always going to be at a premium on such airlines. My other issue with these flights is that as they are late evening, there are always families travelling with young kids, such as we were, whereby it will be time for the kids to sleep. Constant announcements about duty free, refreshments, charity collections, rubbish collections etc, all add to a difficult sleep for young ones. I appreciate the airlines make a lot of money from selling items in board, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by B Morrison    (UK)

Extra Legroom

My wife and I fly with Monarch as often as possible for the simple reason the flights are usually on time take off and landing, both outward and inbound journeys. My wife is disabled and wheelchair bound and nothing is too much trouble for the flight crew who always seem willing to help. The food is of good quality and Monarch never charge the disabled extra fees for extra leg room seats whereas Jet2 charge almost £25 each both journeys. I've never met a friendlier bunch of people.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Marco De Oliveira    (UK)

25 Apr 14, ZB 274. 27 Apr 14, ZB 275. Very efficient crew members. The plane was also very comfortable and didn't have the nuisance with trying to sell you stuff as most other budget airlines will do.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by R Orson    (UK)

ZB 496. Stag and Hen party on this flight - the stewardess kept saying they would keep the noise and swearing down, they did move the children and families forward, they did threaten to call ahead for the police, they did say they would not serve anymore alcohol to the stag group, they did say that that would take the passports off those me disputing the flight. The singing and swearing continues. The singing and swearing was relentless and the stewardesses continued with they empty threats, whist serving the culprits more alcohol. Weak handling by Monarch. Most left the plane tense and desperate to get off.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by P Chris    (UK)

Monarch is by far the worst airline I have used, just back from 2 weeks in Spain, over 3 hours late going out due to an aircraft fault, it was complete chaos after loading then being coached back to the departure lounge with no Monarch rep to oversee the situation, no food or drink offered. On returning home 2days ago I have yet to see my lost luggage.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Victor Shannon    (Spain)

Flew BCN-LGW on April 16th, departure was on time and arrival slightly early. The aircraft was a 16 year old A321. The cabin seemed a bit old but very tidy nevertheless. Cabin crew did the best they could to help us, they seemed very professional. My only complaint is the seat. It was really old and rather uncomfortable, although for such a short flight I don't consider this a major inconvenience. They were the cheapest from BCN to London on those dates, and I would certainly fly with them again in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D Judge    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham on flight ZB 446 on 1st April, returning to Birmingham on 8th April on Flight ZB447. I have just returned from my first air travel following a debilitating stroke and cannot praise the crews on both my outbound and inbound flights they made this experience one which I will happily repeat. I would therefore like to say a huge thank you for their excellent customer care and delivering a service which others would benefit from following their example.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Tony Harris    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Tenerife 11/4, initially told of 4 hour delay on checking in, this then turned into 6 hours by the time we took off. To compound matters we had to endure a 2 hour wait at Gatwick for our luggage, having landed at 1am! Will do our best not to fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by R McVicker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Birmingham - Tenerife on 2 April, returning 9 April. Flights on time both ways with good service on board. Do need they extra legroom however.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Bradley Alan    (UK)

Returned from Sharm El Sheik early hours 4th April, should have been evening of 3 April - 5 hours late. Received the usual lies of "yes the plane has left the UK" only to find out it didn't hadn't. Information when available was sketchy at best when it wasn't an outright lie. Whether these issues lie solely with the handling agent or Monarch I am unsure, but it's Monarchs reputation that has hit rock bottom with me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Robert Johnson    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our flights to and from Alicante were on time, clean and tidy with good, if a little slow service. Their Car Hire partners (Firefly), however were a complete disaster. I would never use them again. Over an hour to get a hire car.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by W Resalsingh    (UK)

Flight from Tobago to Gatwick on 02/04/14 delayed for 24 hrs due to problems with the plane. Flight takes off, problem still not solved and had to land at Barbados. 2 days more, passengers still stranded in Barbados and Monarch don't even have the decency to issue something on their website informing friends and family what is going on! At the time of writing, all the passengers are still stranded in Barbados with no idea as to when they are going to get home!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by H Binns    (UK)

I've just returned from a trip to Goa with Monarch (flight only) I was apprehensive, having read all the bad reports but decided to give it a try. I can honestly say I couldn't fault it! No, it doesn't compare to Emirates or Qatar - but neither does the price! It does however, compare favourably with other charters. Ok, it wasn't the latest plane but it was clean and comfortable - the only thing lacking was the back of seat screen but I can live without that. Food was average but again, on a par with other charters. The big plus for me (besides the price) was the cabin crew, without exception they were friendly, professional and helpful - far better than I have experienced with other charters. Check-in went smoothly and both flights were more or less on time. Very happy with my experience and would not hesitate to use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Bishop    (UK)

I fly every week between Spain and England using Ryanair, easyjet, Norwegian and monarch, after 3 years of doing the same trip I can honestly say Monarch are the worst airline by far, what I look for on a short haul flight is on time flying, Ryanair are the best followed by Norwegian then easyjet but Monarch are awful, nearly always a delay with some feeble excuse when we get on the plane!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Mary Middleton    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Just had the same experience as a previous correspondent, Luton - Tenerife. Paid for extra legroom and asked very specifically about seat location and recline. Outward flight fine, A320 with comfortable reclining seat, got 90 mins sleep. Return flight on newer A321 unspeakably uncomfortable, nasty, hard, plastic seat with no recline at all. 4 hours of total discomfort. Cabin staff said Monarch have no seat recline on any seats on new planes. Never, never again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Ron Bagshawe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham, ZB458, Feb 20th 2014 to Lanzarote and returned on March 20th 2014. Cabin Crew on both flights were superb, particularly on return flight to Birmingham where there were 9 disabled passengers on board including myself.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by K Bennett    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote. Outbound journey was alright, the staff were friendly and professional. Inbound journey, firstly our plane was delayed 2.5 hours due to bad weather in Spain earlier in the day. Fair enough you can't help the weather. When we eventually got on the plane it was boiling the air con wasn't working as the back generator had gone. They spent about 30 minutes trying to get both engines to work on just the front generator meanwhile the heat was unbearable. The plane was really shabby and very loud when in flight. You don't get much leg room which is bad for a 4 hour flight. The food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced aswell. Overall it's good for cheap flights but I wouldn't recommend them!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Burnham Tina    (UK)

I will never fly with Monarch again, we had a 14 hour delay from Gatwick. We lost a precious night of our holiday ruined the first day as we were shattered, they didn't provide overnight accommodation so my 5 and 7 year tried to sleep on metal benches in the freezing noisy airport. They didn't even send a member of their own staff to help or give information, the staff on the plane were rude and just couldn't care less.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by S Wood    (UK)

24th Feb, flew to Sharm without a hitch. The seating seemed to be the same as all airlines in economy. Unluckily on the second day of my holiday I suffered a heart attack spending the rest of my holiday in hospital. On my return it was a worry that I was healthy enough to travel. Thankfully after a few questions the decision was made to allow me to travel, The staff were attentive, I was given a seat with extra room and I had a pleasant flight home.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by T Mustoe    (Gibraltar)

My daughter was due to fly today, 5th March but was delayed in traffic getting to Luton. She did however get to check in just 40 minutes before the flight was due to leave (check in was still manned and open). According to the Monarch website 40 minutes is the minimum time allowed for late boarding, she was however refused and had to return home. Last year Monarch left my same daughter stranded in Malaga (the flight was routed the from Gibraltar due to bad weather) the upshot of that was she was left there (during a strike by the Spanish) and I had to pay a small fortune to taxi her into Gibraltar, all this in spite of several fruitless calls to monarch during the several hours she was left there. As she visits me in Gibraltar frequently, as does my other daughter (who experiences no such issues from easyjet) begs the question, do I encourage my daughter to use Gatwick rather than Luton? Never use Monarch unless absolutely no other option is available.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Pearce Eddie    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We flew from Birmingham to Sharm on 25th January. Check in was quick and easy. We had booked extra leg room seats and I'm pleased we did because passengers in economy section looked extremely cramped. Flight departed on time and we actually arrived early. Cabin service was good throughout but if you get hungry I would suggest that you avoid the toasted sandwich - it was like chewing on two pieces of burnt cardboard. Return flight on 4th Feb was delayed by about 40 minutes. Service okay and we would probably use Monarch again - but only if we could get extra leg room seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by B Gross    (UK)

Last week I flew from Gatwick to Gambia. I have travelled world-wide in Economy with other airlines for much longer periods of time and although being cramped I have never had a problem. I never recline my seat, however this journey was made extremely uncomfortable not by the person in front of me but the woman behind. For the first few hours of the flight she had had her feet digging into my back. An hour before we were due to land she woke up and I heard her tutting and mumbling, then quite violently, she shoved my seat forward and held it there. I was in a window seat in row 17 and had previously had the full view of my window and a bit of the one behind. Now I had half of my own window which shows how far forward she had rammed my seat. In response she hurled abuse at me saying that I have been squashing her the entire 6.5 hours etc. I was also quite relieved that I had just finished my cup of hot coffee that I was holding only minutes before. This of course, is not a fault of the airline. I do however believe that if they want to reduce the space of the seats then they should not have the seats be able to recline or be moved at all. The plane was old and shabby and not ideal for a flight that long. I have been on shorter flights in Monarch planes that looked a lot better than this one. On the return flight, I was at the back of the plane and nowhere near the group but as we geared up ready for take off suddenly all the power went out and there were a lot of ashen-faced passengers who were no doubt thinking that had better not happen in the air. We were switched to auxiliary power and told by a very apologetic pilot that it would not happen again. I will not be flying with Monarch again.