Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2015 by C Nick    (UK)

26/4/15, 1/5/15. LGW-SSH, ZB248. SSH-LGW, ZB249. Good flight LGW-SSH and return. Clean, modern A321. Good comfy seat. Legroom ok. Crew nice.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2015 by C Burgess    (UK)

Extra Legroom

18th April, Manchester to Verona and returned 25th April. Flight ZB1316 and ZB1317. Can't understand the bad reviews, flew out of Manchester on time and landed early in Italy. Pleasant crew, ground staff great, booked extra leg room seats and being 6ft 3inches tall and not a small fella in size I was very surprised that the additional space was fantastic. No need to ask for a extension belt as the seat belts were more than big enough. New style seats are fine for short flights and very comfy indeed. Did not order food, just a wee cup of tea to pass the time. Flight back left early and landed early, all in all no complaints whatsoever.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by David Hooker    (UK)

Overall very happy with the level of service, efficiency and pricing. Modern plane was clean. Seats were comfortable for a 2-3 hours flight. Meal service was at the expected level for a budget operator. Flights operated on time and on board staff dealt with any issues promptly, courteously and efficiently. The main negative issue was the "Luton Airport" experience. Won't comment on the rip off prices as Monarch have no control but check in was a very poor experience - only one desk open for those checked in online - (this compared to four desks at Faro for the return). Not what you want at 5.30 in the morning.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by M Waterfall    (UK)

Extra Legroom

21st March O/B - 28th March I/B - BHX to SSH. Both flights were great, paid 15 each for extra leg room both ways and what a difference for a 5 hour flight it makes. Both Aircraft were clean and the crew friendly yet professional. Flight deck informative on both sectors and departed on time and arrived early both ways. Only gripe was the check-in at Sharm, it was slow and chaotic. But other than that, two great flights, Monarch have my business again for the future, they are way ahead than Thomas Cook and Thomson.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by C Latham    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from AGP to MAN, no problem at all, left early arriving 25 min ahead of schedule. Flight deck very informative during flight cabin crew, very professional. Overall better experience than the flight out with Ryanair in what felt like a shoebox even thought booked extra legroom seat. Would always use Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by N Smith    (UK)

This was the first and last time we will ever fly with Monarch. We have just arrived back from Hurgada - 'Gatwick'. The outbound flight on 13 March was fine, only a few issues namely the severe lack of entertainment on board for a five hour flight and the ever changing price of an extra leg room seat which went from 30 online to 7 in the airport then back up to 15 on board. Our return flight was where the major issues started. Firstly the flight which took 5 hours on the way there was now going to take nearly 7 hours to return. We then sat on the tarmac for around 45 mins before finally taking off. After all of the waiting we then were told rather abruptly that the runway was closed at Gatwick and therefore we had to fly to Luton! We found it hilarious that all other flights managed to land at Gatwick with the 'runway closed' and also that Luton is Monarchs head quarters. We believe they had absolutely no intention of ever landing at Gatwick. Monarch staff were not present once we arrived as I imagine they simply couldn't be bothered to help us in any way. The handing agents Menzies were to organise the coaches. We were made to queue at a check in desk and told two coaches were ordered but that we would be taken to Gatwick on a first come first served basis! Bearing in mind there were 300 people on our flight. At no time were we given any vouchers or even a cup of water and we couldn't leave the queue as this may mean we would miss out on a place on the coach. When the coaches did arrive we had been waiting for over an hour and then had to tolerate the hour and a half coach trip to Gatwick. We were due to arrive at Gatwick at 9pm on Friday we actually arrived at 2am on Saturday. We have never experienced such a thing and we travel up to 7 times a year. We will stick to Norwegian Air and other reputable companies in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by Jean Jacques Ellis    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Just last week flew on Monarch from Gatwick to Sharm. Second time in two years flown with Monarch and generally impressed with standard. On return trip I would say the crew were a little too social sharing conversation with colleagues a bit too openly and snacking drinking during services, before flight etc. On the whole would fly again unless a legacy carrier were to open up a route. Would guarantee my custom if they were to offer a wider seat or separate cabin for a premium.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Sweeney Kathryn    (UK)

I have just returned from Alicante airport with Monarch. I was a saga passenger in my sixties and needed a wheelchair. Normally we are allowed on first when there is more space and time to get seated with help. I was shocked last night when we had to wait till the end and then face no baggage space and a delay being seated. It was very difficult and painful as I had to wait in a queue on the plane. I will have to consider not booking with Monarch if this should happen again. I hope this was a one off. We had no problem flying out from Manchester. I think the lax attitude of some of the staff was the problem.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Julia Saunders    (UK)

Extra Legroom

23 Jan and returned the evening of 30 Jan from BHX to Hurghada. Excellent flight and crew from Birmingham to Hurghada. Faultless and professional staff both ways especially on return journey when I suffered a nose bleed half way through the flight. All staff were fantastic, above and beyond the call of duty in making me comfortable.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by P McCarthy    (UK)

LGW-INN return for ski holiday charter. Both directions had an A321 with older, clean seats. Given exits without asking on the way out and standard seats on the return. It would have been nice to be able to check-in online but on charters this isn't possible apparently. Queues at both airports no more than 15 minutes. I noticed the cabin crew taking time with all customers and being friendly and professional. In my opinion the on-board menu is rather dull and I can't figure out why airlines can't sell stuff of the quality of high street coffee shops either heated or fresh? Both flights were on time, and the return flight was in fact early to leave and arrive. Monarch is distinct because of it's high quality cabin staff and characterful identity. No problems experienced, but nothing amazing about it all either. Would use again with no problem.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Andrew Malins    (UK)

Flew ZB286 London Gatwick to Tenerife on 2nd February 2015. Flight on time. Excellent unobtrusive service from cabin crew. The best thing about Monarch now is the new slimline seating. They are comfortable enough for a 4 hour flight and would be OK for longer flights. The fixed angle of seat back is good (a compromise between fully upright and reclined) so there are no hassles with the passenger in front depriving you of your legroom. I am 6ft 3ins and there were a full 2 inches spare in front of my knees so I could sit comfortably and there is space for your tablet in the seat back in front. This is such an improvement on other budget airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Attewell Johanna    (UK)

Flight from Luton to Alicante last July. 9 hour delay, minimal information. No staff on the ground. Arrived in the dark to collect my rental car. Return flight delayed although only 2/3 hours so felt lucky! No stairs to disembark at other end so had to wait half an hour for them to arrive then luggage didn't arrive for a further hour. Would never use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J Springthorpe    (UK)

Flew to Sharm and back this January with Monarch on 9 month old G-ZBAM. Aircraft immaculate, crew professional and friendly. Informative announcements from cabin and cockpit, no endless sales announcements. Arrived early on both flights. Aircraft had cloth seats and not the new slimline ones - leg room was perfectly fine - only criticism was thin seat backs so you could even feel the person behind you removing a magazine for example. Sixth journey with Monarch in the last 3 years, consistently good.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Malcolm Wright    (UK)

I travelled from Birmingham to Alicante on 10 January, returning on 17 January. I was very satisfied with the service received, the cabin crew were friendly and the flight crew kept us informed of our progress. The seating was surprisingly comfortable for a budget airline and leg room seemed ample even without an extra legroom seat - I am 6 foot 1 inch tall so can be an issue!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by N Burnett    (UK)

ZB238/239, 3rd-10th January. I have flown Monarch 4x times this year and have to write as they have improved immensely in the past 12 months. The check-in facility at Gatwick is now excellent. The standard of the refurbished cabins with the new slim back seating is so much better than any comparable airline - there is a real sense of space and no need to pay for extra legroom (I am 6ft+). The food/snack choice is more than acceptable and for the first time in a long time their crew seem to be genuinely trained in customer service. What's more - no delays this year! I hope these new changes are here to stay.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by K Footman    (UK)

Travelled last night from Sharm El Sheikh to Birmingham. ZB0473. It was a total fiasco. Diverted to Venice for 30 min refuelling 'hop', only to discover crew out of hours. No replacement available and when it was, the flight would not land at Birmingham but Luton. The result was a 7 hour delay overnight. Disgraceful service and 'suck it up people, these things happen' attitude by Monarch pilots, who couldn't tell a straight story between them. Have loved Monarch in the past but given them the benefit of the doubt now too many times. This airline doesn't deserve the loyalty of customers because it doesn't see them as people, rather as 'bums on seats', and takes every opportunity to avoid responsibility. Would not recommend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by M Allan    (UK)

Manchester to Arrecife on 3rd January. Left pretty much on time. Clean tidy cabin and sufficient legroom for me (5ft 9). Pilot announcements were very informative and the crew were attentive and professional. Good selection of drinks/snacks. Flew return leg to Liverpool on 8th January with Easyjet. Monarch out-stripped them in every regard - particularly regarding the cabin crew - Easyjet need some lessons from Monarch going off this experience. Hadn't flown Monarch for some years, but will certainly do so in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by P Wood    (UK)

Do Monarch not read their reviews? I note several where the lack of information is the complaint. Ours was not too bad but we were sat on the plane for 45 mins after our take off time with no information. Eventually one of the cabin staff showed herself so I asked why we hadn't left yet and was told it was due to air traffic control and our route was congested. Fine! Why did no-one bother to tell us? I suggested this to the stewardess who said "I will pass it up." Apart from that both flights were fine and the holiday/hotel through Monarch was excellent.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Gary Ellison    (UK)

I have just returned from Sharm el Sheik. The seats are terrible you can feel peoples knees in your back constantly because seats are so thin, we had 3 children with us and had nothing but complaints from people in front because are kids were accidentally touching the seat in front it was a nightmare. also the hot snacks were awful, I will never travel with Monarch again because of the new seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Michael Shoesmith    (UK)

Birmingham to Sharm El Sheikh on an A321. The plane was immaculately new, the staff were lovely and professional, but the leg room is so bad. There are other budget airlines out there with much better leg room. All in all a quick 4 hour 50 minute trip down and an okay 5 hours 40 minutes on the way back, but I am nearly 6 foot and it is quite trying on a near 6 hour flight with no entertainment and a 3 x 3 layout on a rather long medium haul flight. I like Monarch for the price and flexible flight times, and I know they have suffered recently with the economy and cut backs, it is a huge shame that Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada and Banjul is not served by bigger planes. I loved the Airbus A300 when they had it, 3x4x3 configuration in the 90's. I would fly Monarch again, but preferably Canaries or Cyprus would be my maximum range. Monarch are now your budget, average, low cost airline now and there are other competitive airlines out there.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Larry Evans    (UK)

Flew to Hurghada from Gatwick, 02/12/2014 on ZB770. Return flight ZB771, 30/12/2014. Check in at Gatwick took less than 5 minutes. We were granted our extra 5 kilos of hold baggage on production of our dive licences with out any problems. We departed on time had a superb Flight Crew and First Class Cabin Crew who were superb from take off to landing. Extra length seat pitch well worth fee. Return flight ditto, only query, in my flying days pax were fed the meal related to time zone of destination. We had breakfast at Gatwick hotel at 0500, a second breakfast in airport lounge (only meal available) and then to our amazement, rotate wheels up then the most disgusting inflight breakfast we have seen. Meal on return awful! I felt so sorry for the Cabin Crew who had to serve in our opinion food not fit for purpose. Returning to review, fantastic flight out/return.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Rhys Cromptom    (UK)

Flew Alicante-Luton. Check in a breeze at Alicante and boarding was very quick. We took off 10 minutes early from Alicante which was great. Flight itself was full on an A321 and service was good as always. Cabin crew very friendly and captain kept us informed at all times. Great flight, looking forward to the return.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by M Farhat    (UK)

ZB684, 14th Dec from Manchester. ZB685, 21st from SSH. Flew with Monarch this past week and got to say they were fantastic. Travelling with two under 5's isn't easy and it was our first time. On this particular flight you had to purchase meals from a trolley and provide your own inflight entertainment (iPad comes in handy). Hospitality and service was excellent. Would recommend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by C Andrews    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Returned home from Innsbruck yesterday on a Ski flight that was delayed by 3.5 hours due to bad weather. Whilst waiting for our flight we spent the morning watching Thomas Cook, easyJet and lots of other airlines coping with the conditions. Why not Monarch? We were given food vouchers, but by the time they were handed out there was no food left in the cafes. We all queued whilst staff tried to cope making extra rolls, only to grab the food and dash for the flight. The pilot told us the flight would be 1hr 40 mins. We finally landed after 2hours 10 minutes after spending at least 30 minutes circling Gatwick, pity there was no communication from any of the crew. How difficult is it to keep the fare paying passengers informed. If only you had a choice of airline with package holidays.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by D Bean    (UK)

Excellent airline travelled a number of times with them and never had any problems. Latest flight ZB7504 on 28/11/14 return ZB7505 on 12/12/14 34 mins early at TFS and 25 mins early on return to LBA. Great cabin staff and flight crew. Awaiting to book our next flight with Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by J Martin    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Round trip to Malaga. We have always liked the staff - generally more 'mature' not like the 'kids' employed by other carriers. What happened to your wonderful staff? Our recent flights were organised chaos, crew were running round like unmanaged headless chickens. Admittedly they all seem very young and inexperienced, including the person who seemed to be in charge. The cabin staff conversation quality was awful and most unprofessional. As for the new seats, my extra leg room seat included was like sitting on a park bench and also narrower. The inflight book seems to bang on about the comfort and service offered - realistically it must be just Monarch's management that believe this. I don't think we will be gold card holders much longer, sorry Monarch but you need to sort your product. You used to do it so well.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by S Bass    (UK)

Just flown LGW - Malaga - LGW. Planes (A321) were both on time, clean and best of all the non recline seats. Cabin crew very friendly, all in all a very positive experience, will certainly use them on all future Malaga trips.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by D Smith    (UK)

Just come back from Cyprus with this airline, I am 6 foot 4 and the seat leg room is unacceptable for a 5 hour plus flight. I spent most of the way standing at the back of the aircraft. How anyone should have to put up with seats with very little leg room and have to stand most of the journey speaks volumes about the bean counters at Monarch. Also the new seat design is very thin and you can feel the person behind you placing their water bottles in the seat holders which then stick in your back. This day and age travel should not be uncomfortable for 5 hour plus flights or any flights. Flew with Jet Blue last month on an internal flight to Boston and the leg room on a 40 minute flight form JFK was superior with room between my knees and the seat in front.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by I Wise    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I am a gold member and fly very regularly from Spain to UK to visit my family. In the past 3 weeks alone I have taken 6 flights. New seats are awful. Although I am only 5ft. I find them very uncomfortable. Worst feature is they do not recline so it's impossible to change seating position. They also feel narrower than the old style seats. It would be helpful if cabin crew helped to put my bag in the overhead storage. I am a senior citizen and have to do an acrobatic act of climbing on the seat to reach to store my hand baggage and retrieve it at the end of the flight! Not many perks now for frequent, loyal customers as once a year customers can now purchase priority boarding/check in for very little money.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by R Williams    (UK)

Flew to Mallorca in October and the seating was horrendous. Had to squeeze in and then felt trapped as the seat in front was just a few inches away, heaven help us if the person in front reclines the seat! So cramped that we were unable to lower the tray fully. For seat comfort, space and leg room, this was the second worst flight we have experienced. The flight back was so much better - comfortable seats, sufficient room, and we could lower the tray. No one had told us, and we were not charged, but it seems that they had upgraded us to seats with extra leg room. We have travelled extensively and this flight outward bound was quite appalling. My wife has some mobility problems and was developing leg cramps as we were coming into land. Despite the good flight back and the fact that Monarch did reply to our complaints, I would still give them the lowest possible rating as we both feel we will never fly with Monarch again while their seating is so atrocious. The term "cattle truck" comes to mind!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by P Reetham    (UK)

ZB7428, 18/11/14. Brilliant flight, seating and staff. We have flown several times business to Perth and would have been happy with the level of comfort on our flight from East Midland to Malta. Home on 25th, even looking forward to the return flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by Chew Colin    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We returned on November 7th from Tenerife to Manchester on extra legroom, if there had not been a spare seat next to us, I think we may have had to stand up for the remaining 2 hours of our flight. The new seats are so uncomfortable, we try to fly Monarch as much as we can and, we have always been supportive of the airline, but I am not prepared to subject ourselves to another flight with those seats. They may be ok for short 2/3 hour flights, but now the normal time to Tenerife being 4.5 hours is not acceptable for us.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by J Phillips    (UK)

Gatwick to Sanford, first time flying with Monarch. Outward flight very impressed with check in at Gatwick, baggage check in and cleared customs in half an hour, quite disappointed only 20kg allowance on hold bags and 5kg for cabin luggage which is weighed at check-in. Seating on the outward flight was fine, window and middle seat, seats not bad for comfort and leg room, coming back was in middle aisle row 14 and what a nightmare, right under the drop down TV, and as it was an overnight flight back struggled to sleep because of the flashing of the TV, really wish I had an eye mask with me. Monarch supply blanked and pillow but earphones are charged at 2.50, I always take my own anyway so not a problem. Food - considering its airline food was not bad, roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes/mash on return journey, vegetables and gravy, with bread roll, cheese, crackers and a cake of sorts, water with the dinner and tea or coffee brought along. Breakfast a bit disappointing yoghurt and orange juice any other drinks or snacks can be purchased. We purchased from the airport after clearing customs snacks and drinks to take on board and so glad we did. Staff were friendly and professional. Would I recommend afraid not, even though the value for money with the ticket was good, hold baggage is extra cost, to be seated together is extra cost and even then couldn't pick where we wanted to sit. Return flight was full and unfortunately not enjoyable because of the TV and unruly kids although this is not an airline problem.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by C Sharell    (UK)

Travelled from Gatwick to Alicante and back. On the way there had the new seats. They were comfy with a good amount of leg room for a budget flight. Seats were wide and seat belts were long. It was one of the most comfortable low cost flights I've had in years. On return we had old seats. I was shocked at the difference. There was no legroom, I'm 5,9 and my knees were against the seat in front and were painful when I left the plane. It was also very tight to get the table down fully. I hope by next year all flights have the new seats as this would make me choose Monarch over other airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by A Carter    (UK)

Travelled with my 6 year old granddaughter to Malaga on 27/10/14 (ZB654) returning to Manchester on 31/10/14 (ZB655). Booked through Avros. Because I did not book directly with Monarch I was only allowed 5 kg of luggage per person and could not print boarding passes online. Both flights were on time and the pilot was very informative. I pre-booked seats to ensure that we were able to sit together and had seats 11D and 11E on both flights. It was the same aircraft on both flights, I know this because the seat pocket for seat 11E was hanging off! There was a wodge of paper hankies stuck in the emergency exit door. I am 5 ft 7 inches and the leg room was totally unacceptable, only one inch between my knees and the seat in front. I now realise why, in the safety demonstration, we were not given instruction on the brace position was because it would be physically impossible to do so on this aircraft. I would definitely never choose to fly with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Geoffrey Carver    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our Birmingham to Gran Canaria flight was in an A321. Like many of our flights with this airline it was on time. The flight was a little late arriving thanks to strong headwinds, but everything else was satisfactory in most ways. We paid for extra legroom seats and that was certainly worthwhile.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Noah Simmons    (UK)

DLM to LGW. Normal economy seat. Plane left on time, staff were prompt bringing around food that I had pre ordered (very nice by the way, cumberland sausage with a cider gravy. Mash potato and some roasted veg, very impressive). Seats were comfortable, maybe slightly small in the leg room but I'm only 5'8" and was fine for me. No inflight entertainment which would have been nice for a 4hr flight but had a tablet so can't complain. Staff very helpful, drinks were over priced but can't do much about that.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by A George    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Downgraded this review because of the fact that the "new seats" are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in on an airplane. Getting off the plane after a 4 hr flight - the sole topic of conversation amongst all around us was how bad the seats were. We fly with Monarch about 8 times pa - not anymore unless they do something to improve seat comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Tom Farrow    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Absolutely Brilliant. LPA-BHX. Night flight, staff were very good, though check in was a little slow. Flight was amazingly smooth, paid for legroom upgrade. Upgraded legroom seats had much more legroom than Ryanair's seats. Would fly again. Night flight so great views, and pilot kept us well informed during the flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by John Crispin    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We should have flown on ZB1529 from Enfidha to Gatwick at 19.25 on 24 Sept. We finally flew from Tunis at 02.30 the next day. We were not given any information, no food or drink. Feel totally let down by the airline and no customer service as we were finally moved in busses in the dead of night.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Elspeth Stewart    (UK)

Shocking! Do not use Monarch! We are stuck in Madeira, with a four hour delay so far and absolutely no information so far, flying on a Cosmos package. Likely to be stuck here for the night and will miss our connecting flight. The worst thing is the absolute lack of information. I will never use Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Leslie Percy    (UK)

Flight out ZB1354, MAN-DBV, 14/10 Return ZB1355, 18/10. Easy check in, departed on time arrived 30 minutes early. Return journey on time. We had booked extra leg room seats and meals, ok on outward journey but on return journey allocated standard seats, a word with a flight attendant an on showing our invoice we quickly moved to our correct seats all in all enjoyable flights.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by N King    (UK)

Travelled from London Gatwick to Funchal with Monarch and was pleasantly surprised. Seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room and onboard catering seemed reasonably priced. Would fly Monarch again based on this experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Philip Lee    (UK)

Flight staff great a vast improvement on Ryanair. It felt more like flying 20 years ago, the way it should be. I'm 6,3" and found it impossible to sit comfortably due to the lack of leg room - had we not been lucky to have a spare seat on our row I would have been forced to stand throughout the flight. I will never fly Monarch again because of he leg room issue, so back to Ryanair where the leg room is more than ample.