Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2013 by S Kemp    (UK)

Flight ZB0627 - Lanzarote-Manchester - 12/2/2013. This is the worst flight I have ever been on, can cope with a 2 hour delay but to be informed that there was not enough fuel to return to Manchester, due to winds is a worrying prospect. All in all it turned out most unsatisfactory, luckily I had pre booked meals but other passengers were no so lucky as food quickly ran out. Also because of security checks at Gatwick any duty free liquid purchases were taken, even purchases made on the flight. All in all not very good at all.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2013 by C Alty    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Gatwick to Lanzarote. Flights pretty much on time. Extra legroom seats paid for both ways, so was comfortable on the way out. Aircraft switch on the way back meant no extra leg room, which in reality meant no legroom at all. And no apology or refund either. Ran out of all hot food, stewardess says that's because they want to get you pay for it in advance so they don't waste any and maximise their profits. Upon seeing the slop that was served to those who had pre-paid for food, was glad to go hungry. Not a cheap flight either at nearly 500 per person. Looking forward to BA starting this route and maybe forcing Monarch to up their game.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2013 by S A Forbes    (Norway)

Return flight London Gatwick - Tobago, flight on time both ways. Price was cheap, and so was the 'service'. In-flight meals - 2 served, something that was supposed to be breakfast, and one that was intended to resemble dinner was more a joke than anything else, no complimentary drinks except a cup of tea or coffee after the 'meal', not even water! All drinks had to be purchased. Overhead video screens as inflight entertainment, but you had to purchase headset for 2.50 in order to get any sound. The screens were hard to see from our location. A330 that was used had a seat arrangement of 3-3-3, as opposed to the "standard" 2-4-2 on these planes, making seats and aisles extremely narrow. By far the worst plane I have taken, and sitting in a narrow space, partially sideways, for 9 hours is not a experience I want to repeat. In Tobago we were rushed into the plane by the crew. Be aware also that allowed hand luggage is a joke, with a limit of 5 kg (11 lbs). I was carrying a bag with a laptop + charger and a couple of other items, which lead to a slight overweight. The bag was weighed in by staff at Gatwick, and was grumpily told to remove some items from the bag to be allowed to carry it on the plane. No constructive solution or suggestion offered. Will not recommend a long flight with Monarch to anyone and unless I have absolutely no other choice, I'll stay far away from them in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2013 by M McVeigh    (UK)

Two reasons given for a 7 hrs delay. Captain claimed headwinds forced a landing in Gatwick vs Manchester while stewardesses claimed EU flying directives forced an early termination. We took our luggage off the belt at 00.20am and left stranded in Manchester. Needed to book a hotel and Re-book train next day back to Scarborough. Still no official letter or explanation for delay as promised. We lost all our duty free liquids as we had to disembark and re board through a fresh security check. No food for x12hrs and all that was offered was a glass of water. Very shoddy treatment. ZB627, Lanzarote to Manchester flight on 12 Feb 2013.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  19 February 2013 by J Wilson    (UK)

Gatwick - Grenoble on an Airbus A330 was a very pleasant experience, no doubt assisted by the fact that we upgraded to extra leg room seats for a very modest 15. Unfortunately Monarch switched the aircraft for the inbound journey to one of their ageing Airbus A300's and the experience was much less enjoyable. They squeeze 9 seats across (the aircraft is only designed for 8) and somehow cram in approx 350 passengers, no doubt aided by the non existent leg room. The seats also only support you up to around the upper back, so you cant rest your head at all. Unless you're relatively small or thin you're in for a very uncomfortable flight. There was also an extremely annoying shrill noise which whined constantly both on the ground and in the air. The Cabin crew seemed resigned to the fact that they have their work cut out trying to placate passengers' grievances on these aircraft. It's high time Monarch retired these A300's and replaced them with something newer and more comfortable.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2013 by Ian Atkinson    (UK)

2hr delay flying to Lanzarote from Manchester due to snow. Can live with that but on return we had a 3 hour delay at Arrecife supposedly due to a mobile being left on the plane in Manchester. When we boarded we were told we'd have to land at Gatwick due to low fuel - strong headwind apparently reducing A321's range. So a further 2.5 hours inside Gatwick before a relief crew - yes the originals had done their shift! Got us to Manchester 11 hours after schedule. In all that time what did they offer us - 1 cup of water - disgraceful.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2013 by Lionel Cockayne    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flight ZB626/ZB 627 Manchester - Lanzarote return, 26/01/2013 - 12/02/2013. Outward flight 2 hours delayed. Return flight 6 hours delayed. Unscheduled stop at Gatwick for extra fuel and change of crew due to the original crew being out of hours. All passengers were forced to leave the plane while these activities took place and were told they must take all their hand luggage including purchases from the plane. Having then been escorted around the Gatwick Terminal for at least half a mile we then had to pass through another full security check and were forced to abandon all liquids including the duty free bottles we had just purchased. I have experienced many Monarch Flights over the years but there has been a marked reduction in the quality and experience. I have been delayed on all 6 of my last 6 flights with some of the most bizarre excuses given. I always have to book extra leg room as I am 6' 5" and cannot get into a standard seat. This is discrimination of tall people when adjacent seats are frequently occupied by small children who have only paid the standard rate!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2013 by S J Kennedy    (UK)

Just returned from Sharm El Sheikh Feb 7th. Outward journey from Birmingham 31st Jan 9am which included an emergency landing in Athens at 12pm due to a smashed windscreen which was dealt with brilliantly by the pilot and cabin crew, unfortunately everything went downhill from there. No communication from any Monarch staff at all, we just followed one another round like sheep. Eventually put up in airport hotel and given a very sub standard meal and forced to pay extortionate prices for drinks in the bar. A message appeared on the television screen in our room telling us to be back at the airport for 9.30pm to continue our journey to Sharm, forced to change boarding gate twice and finally took off again at 2am, 25 hours journey in total. Given a complimentary cup of coffee on the final part of the journey. I have flown with Monarch before but would seriously have to consider another journey with them.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2013 by M Ralph    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Recently flew Gatwick - Sharm return on Monarch ZB scheduled service on an Airbus A321. From the moment we checked in at Gatwick, to the time we arrived back a week later I have to be honest, we received great service! All check-in staff and cabin crew were very friendly and helpful. We paid extra to have Meals on board as well as extra legroom - this was definitely worth every penny. The food was delivered fresh and piping hot, and the extra legroom was very welcome for a comfortable 5hr + flight. We departed 15 mins late on our outward journey, and 45 mins late on the return journey. The pilots expressed their apologies for both delays and kept us well informed throughout the flights. Both aircrafts used for my trip were very clean and tidy. The only gripe I had with my Monarch experience was the seat padding was rather hard on your bottom!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2013 by J Fairclough    (France)

Extra Legroom

Manchester to Barcelona. The A321 is perfectly acceptable for a 2hr flight such as this. I paid for one of the 34" legroom seats at the front, which were quite comfy, but the pitch in the cheap seats behind looked very cramped. Certainly a trip to the Red Sea in one of them would be purgatory. Food and drink was reasonably priced, and flight on time. Only real complaint was the speed of baggage retrieval at BCN, though, to be fair, this seems to be snail-paced whichever airline you use.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2013 by A Eastwood    (UK)

BHX-GCTS, 26/1/2013. Flight on time, pa system from flight deck very poor (much crackling and background noise) returned 4/2/2013, same plane all on time. PA system this time was excellent the captain gave abundant information and was very clear.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2013 by H Kocel    (UK)

Extra Legroom

End of October 2012 Gatwick to Sharm, return a week later. Paid an extra 120 to cover extra legroom for both my wife and myself, within the area called premium economy (what a joke!). My legs could not stretch forward enough so was getting cramp, seat width was pathetic, with old defunct radio controls digging into my thigh. Not enough room even to sit slightly sideways to give respite to constant pain from seat pressure on thighs, spent most of both flights sitting on seat arm - not great for the extra paid! Air con was rubbish, these are tired old aircraft and Monarch should be ashamed of offering extra legroom seats at a premium price that left me in agony.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2013 by Anna Richardson    (UK)

I flew to Goa in premium economy with Monarch, I would recommend to pay for the upgrade as it really made our flight that much more comfortable. The meals are of a good quality and you get a choice of main and a free bar. Seats were comfy and leg room was ample, the entertainment wasn't quite as good as I thought it would have been. The staff couldn't do enough for you, I am a nervous flyer and they were great with me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2013 by A Davies    (UK)

Like the review from T Moss - 14 Jan, we also used this flight from Hurghada to Manchester on 1st Feb with Monarch using an A321, a plane with the least capability for the distance needed or fuel capacity if headwinds are encountered - why is this allowed to happen. On the outward flight we were seated in cattle class at the back with legroom fit for a dwarf, like Mr Moss the cabin crew came round with hot drinks etc, without being informed there was a hot meal being provided later, luckily we had a hot drink/snack, because I could not fold my tray down because of the lack of room. Coming home we booked seats at the front with extra legroom. On arrival at Hurghada airport we were all given a letter telling us we were being diverted to Rome as the plane would encounter very strong headwinds and was incapable of holding enough fuel to get us back to the UK. Had a good flight up to Rome just over 4 hrs, with a nice meal on a tray that we were able to fold down with comfort - paying 40 a couple for the extra legroom. Then informed by the captain that once we landed in Rome there was a standby crew that had been flown from Gatwick waiting for us - Monarch must have known well in advance this was going to happen. Less than 30 mins later we all got back on - the new captain then informed us we would have to get off again because there had been a mess up with the amount of fuel. Eventually got home at 3am.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2013 by Patrick Downes    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our flight was due to take off from Sharm el Sheik at 17.25 on 31st January 2013. After 4 hours at the airport we were taken to a hotel that had no access for my wheelchair. They said the delay was due to a cracked windscreen on the plane coming from Birmingham and had made an emergency landing at Athens. The flight took of 24 hours and 50 minutes late, we were then told we had to land at Athens for refuelling due to prevailing winds. The air hostess told us their was no food on board as the plane had been on the tarmac at Sharm el Sheik for 24 hours. In an 8 hour flight we were given one cup of tea and one small bottle of water. Landed at Birmingham at midnight. Come on Monarch if the plane was there why did it take nearly 25 hours to start the flight home. The total delay was 27.5 hours. I noticed another review from 22nd January also had a 24 hour delay from Sharm el Sheik.