Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by R Farn    (UK)

Outward flight to Spain delayed nearly 2 hours. Return flight delayed 1.5 hrs plus another 25 mins to disembark waiting for walkway to be attached. Consequently missed our last train and not only did we lose our return train fare but also had to pay 95 for a taxi. Never will fly with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 October 2013 by C Jones    (UK)

We've just returned from MAN to Tenerife flights, my other half was shocked at the lack of room and we think that these were the smallest seats and aisles we've ever had/seen in flying! There were a few issues with leg room, my other half is 6' 2" tall man and his poor knees were rubbing against the plastic of the chair in front. We had to return early for health reasons and I booked seats over the phone for that day to get back home and insisted that he have an extra leg room seat. Got to the check in and the Spanish lady gave us completely different seats, we didn't realize this until we were in the queue to board and looked at our boarding passes. The plus side of this is we complained to the crew on the plane that we paid for an extra leg room seat, the ladies were fantastic and gave him a seat up front. The flight was much more comfortable for the 3 of us because my daughter and I had the middle 3 seats to ourselves. I do have to say that the crew on both flights were very pleasant. Would I fly with Monarch again? Possibly, but I would know what to expect next time.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 October 2013 by D Harris    (UK)

We are frequent travellers with Monarch Airlines on the Red eye flight out of B/Ham to Faro, of which is not my favourite time of day, but I endure it due to what is normally a good service, (but was insulted by being on wet leased planes) they now have assured me that will never happen again. So with this assurance we booked again, On Tuesday 1st October we boarded a new A320 found our pre-booked seats (Row "7") then left on time only just after the seat belts signs were switch off, and our breakfast was served the woman in the seat in front decide to use all the reclining facility to its full extent, which gave me very little room in fact her head was only 12" from my face, now I pay for the space, so she was invading my space, when I asked the steward for help in politely asking her to leave the seat in the upright position, he immediately took the stance that she has every right to recline her seat, she was in an extra leg room seat and no one else reclined. So if you wish to appease all of your fare paying passengers I would make this suggestion that on a short haul flight that for the comfort of all, that a policy of no seats should be reclined as its only 3 hours max.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 October 2013 by A Gibson    (UK)

Flew to Corfu, August 5. Pleasant and helpful crew. Large section of ceiling trim came lose after very heavy landing. 45 minute delay appx. The return on August 19 was a nightmare. Nine hour delay. Little information from the airline and all of it conflicting, including the reason given by the captain once airborne. No apology of course. After some hours at the airport, most passengers bussed off like livestock to a dismal meal in a barn of a dining hall at a local resort hotel. Back at the airport to be greeted by further delay, they were given pittance tokens for 'dead' sandwich rolls and a soft drink. Once it was obvious the delay was going to be prolonged, we cleared off back into town for a proper meal and refreshments at our own expense. Our tour operator stepped in where the airline failed and kept us in touch with developments while we were away from the airport.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2013 by A Rehm    (UK)

After an 8.5 delay on the Gatwick to Faro flight I am now waiting for my return flight already 4 hours delayed with no prospect of my flight any time soon. We actually boarded only to be told that there was yet another technical fault and no part available in Portugal. Customer services have a couldn't care less attitude, apparently they are waiting for a part from the UK. I know this is not an isolated incident and is pretty much a weekly event in this route. Lack of investment in an ageing fleet is very apparent. I will never use Monarch again and unless you enjoy sitting for hours on end with no information on your flight I would suggest using another airline. Very poor service.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Richard Parrott    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We flew to Lanzarote for a 10 day holiday and I was concerned about legroom due to having MS and also 3 past DVTs in my worst affected leg. They offered myself and my wife free upgrades to extra legroom seats, they made all the difference as I am in constant pain in my legs but being able to move them about and stretch them a bit eases this. We were pulled aside by staff at Manchester airport, who saw that I was on crutches, and given priority baggage check in which meant I didn't have to stay on my legs too long. We also booked a private transfer from the airport to our accommodation which went seamlessly. When we flew with them last November the legroom in my seat was so tight that I could not move my legs at all as they were jammed against the seat in front (I am 6 ft 3") so I ended up standing at the rear of the plane near the toilets for half an hour. When one of the cabin crew asked me if I was ok I explained the situation and she recognised me as having boarded with walking aids and put me in a seat with extra legroom, gave me a litre bottle of water and told me to give her a shout if I needed any more. Although I still find the airports and flights the most difficult aspect of a holiday, Monarch did everything within their power to make things easier.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by B Corteil    (UK)

Travelled 21/09/13, Paphos to LGW, 0787. The Cabin Crew were excellent, the Flight/Landing was smooth, all spoilt by most uncomfortable seats I've ever known, 4.5 hours flight time leaving Paphos at 23.20 could have done with some sleep at that time of night however despite being 5'4" I found it impossible to get comfortable, the seat didn't recline more than half an inch, the head restraint was not adjustable (pillows were not provided), leg room was very restricted the food tray was badly angled, elbow room was poor, luckily I am quite a small guy, average build 152lbs. Also the onboard food and drink is overpriced. If I have to fly again I will be putting Monarch at the bottom of my list. FYI I have flown with many different airlines.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by P Cotterell    (UK)

Flight was 45 minutes late leaving Dalaman. Four hours of being stuck on a flight where the heat was unbearable and despite Monarch telling you they give you more leg room - rubbish. Very cramped!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by B Hazeldine    (UK)

Flew out on a A300 from Manchester to Palma on flight ZB532 and I can honestly say this was the most hassle free and quiet flight I have been on. The flight was full and departed 20 mins late but we arrived on time at Palma thanks to a strong tail wind. The Airbus A300 is a bit dated now but the steward told me that the A300's were being retired from the fleet and being replaced with new A320 and A321 aircraft in the not too distant future. The flight itself was quite fast and no turbulence. The inflight service was excellent, the cabin crew were friendly, helpful and professional. The inflight snacks where good although a little on the expensive side, 4 for a cheese and tomato toastie but you come to expect the high inflight prices with all airlines. I would recommend Monarch and will defiantly be using them for the next trip to Majorca next year.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by David Birtle    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Return flight from Leeds Bradford to Faro, 31 August 2013 and Faro to Leeds Bradford, 14 September. Monarch Airlines are brilliant, comfortable, pleasant crew, very comfortable seats and most of all, no drunks.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2013 by L Bailey    (UK)

Outbound Journey 3rd Sep from Birmingham Airport to Tenerife South and Return Journey Friday 13th Sep. Could not fault it from start to finish, brilliant service, cabin crew were exceptionally pleasant and very friendly, seating arrangement were fantastic, comfortable seats and seemed to be more leg room. All in all a fabulous airline, also no hassle with the weight of luggage. Would highly recommend and definitely travel with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2013 by Julie Weller    (UK)

We flew from Gatwick to Hurgada which was delayed by an hour because of a problem with the navigation equipment which was being looked at while we were sitting on the aircraft hoping it could be repaired. On the return journey half the passengers were returning to Gatwick, the rest to Manchester. The flight was delayed 45 mins when we boarded. Then the aircraft had to stop at Paris to refuel. We sat there for an hour before the tanker arrived. On landing 2 hours late the poor Manchester passengers had to take their hand luggage get off the aircraft go through security then re board the same aircraft? We have flown with Monarch twice and both times it hasn't been a pleasant experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2013 by E Broome    (UK)

Well Monarch don't really get good press but I thought flight was fine. I have flown British Airways, Qantas, AA, and Emirates and boy don't you pay for it! At the end of the day the flight came with the holiday deal and the end result was getting to Goa. The seat was fine, the pitch was fine, the food was good. The entertainment was not the best but was ok. For the price it was really good. A lot of people were moaning saying they'll go via Qatar next time or Delhi but that cost nearly double and is an extra 6-7 hours. All in all flight was fine. People moan too much about things, If the legroom isn't good enough cough up and go first class or another airline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Scott Richard    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Usual chaos at Manchester airport. Not enough staff for pax volume, it gets worse each flight. Checked in online and tried to find end of line for express baggage drop. Three monarch staff walking the crowd who gave conflicting information, probably better having two of them actually on check-in desks! At one point five staff just huddled talking to each other. It took 55 mins to bag drop. Flight boarded okay in fact early but nearly fifty mins before we took off again no explanation. So late arriving. Flight itself was fine. Dreading the usual queues at Alicante to check bag in, normally an hour plus in line. Their ground service is poor but flights generally okay.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by B Hodgson    (UK)

Flew with Monarch for the first time to Sharm on 25/8/13 from Manchester. Arrived at the airport at 08.00 to find that the plane was already delayed due to technical problems and would not fly until 14.00 - given a 5 voucher each. When we arrived at Sharm airport two other planes had landed also which led to arguments pushing shoving and nearly fighting due to no one being there to organise a queue and there only being 3 desks open we were in the airport for 2.5 hrs and with a 4 yr old who was already scared and tired. Will not fly with them again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by B Pridding    (UK)

We have just returned from Egypt with Monarch. Outbound journey, staff etc good, two drink rounds, but the return trip was a different matter! The extra leg room seats were free, by the toilets and I happened to sit in one (as had other people) whilst waiting for the toilet to be free and the airsteward said to me 'that's 35 if you stay there!" When I got out of the toilet there were trays on the seats to block them! One drink round on a 6 hr flight, ridiculous and the seats are very cramped and uncomfortable!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Ron Wakley    (UK)

Paphos to Manchester on 01/09/13. It appears Monarch have introduced more leg room seats at the expense of all other seats. They have moved the other seats closer together, for me there was not a problem with leg room but the table hit me on the chest and would go no further down. The tables should be reduced to suit the closer together seats, it would have been impossible if we had ordered a meal. As a result I will in future go out of my way to avoid Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by D Pearce    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch LGW to PMI, 31st August and returned PMI to LGW, 7th September. Aircraft used was airbus A320. Could not find fault with Monarch in any way, the flight was on time both ways, cabin was clean, cabin staff excellent. I did pay for the extra legroom seats and these appear to be well worth it, I have not had such great legroom in years. Would certainly fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by S McNamara    (UK)

Luton to Corfu on A320 both ways. Outbound flight had a few empty seats which enabled passengers to move around. Legroom was acceptable for a 6 footer like myself. Service was ok and we arrived earlier than planned. The return leg was much better as we were allocated row 6 which had substantially more leg room, which was better than long haul leg room I have had with other airlines. I disagree with the leaving on of lights for a night flight to enable the selling of refreshments and duty free, especially as there wasn't much demand for it. Arrived back into Luton early which was pleasantly surprising.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by E Garlick    (UK)

Flew to Alicante. Seats very cramped and uncomfortable. Not even acknowledged by cabin staff. Luggage slow to unload on arrival. On return flight, check in opened over 35 mins late. Gate changed without notice, plane boarded late, no explanation until we were on board. Booked seat already occupied. Had to abort first attempt at landing at Gatwick, so arrived even later. Luggage eventually arrived soaking wet and clothes ruined. I've flown regularly all over the world, certainly won't fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 September 2013 by L Bond    (UK)

Flew to Cyprus Larnaca on 20th August and returned on 4th September to London Luton. Planes were ok, very basic and small (one aisle). Cabin crew were pleasant. Drinks and snacks over priced. Flight was smooth. Overall rather good. I would advise everyone to check-in online both ways as the queue to check-in was very long. Much easier to just go to the bag-drop desk. In addition, don't bother pre-booking meals unless you like the taste of awful food, I would have rather bought a toastie on board instead. Also zero onboard entertainment.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 August 2013 by P Barcoe    (UK)

I flew back from Egypt on 18 August 2013. Firstly we wanted to pay for extra leg room as my partner is 6ft 4 so sitting for 5.5 hours cramped is no fun but at the airport they wanted 98 for the two of us - we flatly refused. When on our journey home it took 1.5 hours to get to us with the drinks and snacks trolley and then there was no flat drinks left apart from lemonade and tomato juice. There was no inflight entertainment which even shorter flights offer. By far the worst airline I have flown with.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2013 by Sharon Taylor    (UK)

We flew to Dalaman 09/08/2013 and returned to Gatwick today. I was very dubious about booking with Monarch after reading the reviews. However the flight and staff fantastic. We have always flown with Thomas Cook until now and will certainly be using Monarch for our trips in the future.