Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Dredge    (UK)

On the return flight from Venice to Gatwick we were prompted by the announcement over the tannoy that we could now purchase hot and cold snacks and drinks as displayed in the flight brochure. We were only about 6 rows from the back of the plane but when we asked for bacon paninis we were told that they didn't have any, or any rolls or any sandwiches. We then asked for muffins only to be told that they had none of these either. When we asked the attendants why they advertised products that they did not sell we were told that "they had a busy outward flight"! We are only average sized people but found the seat spaces to be very cramped, thankfully only for the 2hr flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Mel Draper    (UK)

Flew to Tenerife on 15 June, no delays, cabin crew lovely. Flew home on 25 June, delay due to France air traffic strike, again crew were fab, return flight was on older plane but couldn't fault them at all.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Dorricott    (UK)

Just returned from Fuerteventura on Monarch flight although holiday was with Thomson, never again! This is the 3rd time we've had a very uncomfortable flight, I'm 5ft 5 and was cramped, my husband is a lot taller and he had his knees jammed into the seat in front and couldn't move, if this is a sample of Thomson and Monarch cost cutting we will be making sure we travel with a different operator in future. To be fair the crew were ok and looked after passengers. When we arrived at Birmingham we were on the far side of the tarmac and had to be bussed in at 1am.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Z Temperton    (UK)

Manchester to Palma, ZB533, 03/06/14. Return - Palma to Manchester, ZB534, 12/06/14. I thought Monarch were brilliant! Easy check in, set off bang on time, smooth flight, friendly staff, quick baggage reclaim, all of which was repeated on my return journey! Plus on the way there we got moved to extra leg room seats because the flight was quiet. Would definitely use again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Jones    (UK)

Cramped seats, chocolate sauce on floor from previous flight which I had to cover up with napkins. Aggressive cabin crew - hassling me about a case in the locker which didn't belong to me - telling another passenger to behave because he standing up, when in fact he'd been to the toilet and requested to do this from another crew member - no apology offered. Patronizing lecture about zero-tolerance of bad behaviour - do they think they are the Police force or something? Not a cheap flight either £200 Manchester-Portugal - yet they have the budget Arline mentality that we are cattle and they can be patronising and arrogant with us.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Andrew Wood    (UK)

Extra Legroom

10/6 - 19/6 2014, ZB234 and ZB235. A good flight to Lanzarote, we paid £25 e/w for the front of the aircraft, if like me you are 6ft 6, you like the extra room, the ground staff at both Lanzarote and Gatwick were very smart and helpful. I hope to fly with them again soon.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Whitehead Richard    (UK)

First time I have ever travelled on Monarch from Gatwick to Faro - never again. Outbound flight ZB216 should have arrived at 16.30 but only arrived at 19.00. Return flight ZB217 was also delayed but the seating is deplorable, no leg room and when you fold down the tray you are wedged in your seat with no space at all. Seating also very worn, exposed springs, generally rather "down at heel". Certainly an airline to be avoided.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Roger Taylor    (UK)

On flight ZB932 from B-ham to Tenerife, 10/06/2014, plane had the New seats fitted. Slim line seats give the feel of more room, but the base of the seat is virtually unpadded. Cannot believe these seats have been tested by any senior management, maybe they should have them fitted in the boardroom, I will guarantee the meeting will not last more than 1 hour let alone 4 hours the flight time to Tenerife. Came back on the old seated plane, what a difference, its called comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Peter Wine    (UK)

Extra Legroom

I cannot understand why people complain about Monarch. OK our flight to Tenerife was 3 hours late going and 3 hours late coming back (all our other Monarch flights have been just about on time). However the A330 airbus was one of the best aircraft's we've been on in years. The extra leg room seats in the front compartment were great and it was very quiet compared to other aircraft's we've flown on. But here is your food for thought. While other airlines have come and gone over the years Monarch have been on the scene since 1968.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by A Newman    (UK)

Used Monarch to fly from Lanzarote - Manchester, 2nd June. I am compelled to write a review as the seat quality was the worst I have ever experienced on any form of transport. Literally, old bus seats are better. The seats are narrow, not cushioned, no legroom, nowhere to store anything eg sweets magazines. I am 6" and 13.5 stone. My head was above the seats, my knees touched the seat in front, and there is just no room. The flight was a night - I was with my kids who were trying to sleep - the stewardesses kept waking them up - unforgivable. We travelled to Lanzarote on Thomas Cook - I sincerely regret choosing Monarch for return fight and will Never use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Maybury Andrew    (UK)

Booked on a Monarch flight from Rome to Birmingham on 8th June. Flight was cancelled just prior to boarding time. We received no support or assistance at all. All we were told was to email Monarch customer relations. I did not have the facility to do this. No concern shown as to whether anyone had money to make alternative flight arrangements or obtain food. I am a diabetic so could have been left without any food or medication but luckily had taken my credit card so managed to purchase something to eat and tickets back to Birmingham via Munich. I would never travel with Monarch again as they seem to have no acceptance of any duty of care to their customers. Absolutely inexcusable lack of care for all booked on that flight. Disgrace!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Neil McDougall    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Monarch to Funchal in May. ZB746. Inbound and outbound on time. Plane very clean and staff very friendly with nice smiles. Heavy cross wind at Funchal made for difficult landing (one of the most taxing airports in the world) but the captain did a great job getting us down safely after the first attempt was aborted. Would always choose Monarch ahead of Easyjet and would not contemplate RyanAir.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Hahlo    (UK)

Flight 533 from Majorca to Manchester, 1st June. This flight left Majorca 2 hours later than stated. This in itself is not a major complaint. What was annoying was the failure of the staff and airline to provide information about the delay. The only information that was given was a terse phrase on the flights board. the only information that was given was shortly before the arrival of the delayed flight that it was due to land in 15 minutes. Communication is everything. To neglect it and your customers is a major error of judgement.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Sophie Wogden    (UK)

I recently took my first flight with Monarch Airlines and found the experience was not a good one. Since booking the flight in January, the flight time was changed twice and brought forward by several hours. The first time I received absolutely no notification from Monarch and it was discovered entirely by chance. As we were a large group living 100 miles from the airport this had a big impact on our travel plans. On arrival at the airport we found the check-in staff were rude, unhelpful and altogether unpleasant. This continued whilst on the flight making the whole experience one I would not wish to repeat. I was with a different airline on my return journey and found the opposite - it was a great, friendly service offered for 1/3 of the price. I should also mention that the in-flight food was appalling - overpriced, served at a dangerously high temperature and essentially inedible.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Maria Rosendale    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew 2nd June from Cyprus and had the new style seats. This is the 2nd time as had in October last year as well. They are the most uncomfortable plane seats I have ever had the misfortune to sit in. They are narrower than before and also have virtually no padding. My partner is 6'2" and his head is way above the top of the seat. This means there is no support at al. They have made the aisle wider which means the seating area has to be narrower. Monarch really are not listening to their customers. I would rather travel further to another airport than suffer these seats again. I think if you are short and on a 2 hour flight you can suffer these but for 4 plus hours they really are not acceptable.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Timothy Griffin    (UK)

ZB439 from Fuerteventura to Birmingham, Sat 31st May 2014. Fantastic flight, lovely friendly cabin crew and to top it all off a brand new Airbus A321.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by S Cannon    (UK)

Extra Legroom

ZB546, MAN- ACE. Have travelled on this route numerous times and always been happy with the experience, but was very disappointed with my flight on Thurs. Check in - Bag drop desk manned by member of staff who had started that day, told luggage too heavy and tried to charge £120 excess baggage despite both cases being under allowance printed on our boarding card, obviously not trained very well. Had to get Supervisor to sort out. Boarding at gate 300 at Manchester always means a delay, when using the remote stands why don't they start the process a few minutes earlier. Gate again staffed by obviously new staff, very disorganised and checking of ticket against passport lax to say the least, which is concerning. On board for almost 90 mins before take off as two people checked in bags and not turned up at gate, so quite rightly bags had to be found and removed. Surely however given it took an hour to find the bags the people must of turned up by then, surely common sense should prevail and if people found and bags not let the people fly. I did wonder, given no checks were made on board to double check, if the people had boarded, in the confusion at the gate, if this was just an excuse, as I know this flight has departed over an hour late every week for the past five weeks. Can't wait for my trip later in the summer on the same flight to see if the same people don't turn up again. Flight ok, this was one of the older A321's with new seating which was not comfortable. Our return flight was put back two hours a few weeks before we came away from 8pm to 10pm no discount offered however given it changed from an evening flight to a night flight and I notice that on time performance of this flight is poor to say the least. We shall wait and see.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Hobbins Jeff    (UK)

29 May 2014. Flight ZB547 from ACE. The food, cider sausages and cheesy mash with vegetables was delicious. Clean modern plane but the seats wouldn't recline and I was knackered. I only posted because of the food quality.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by A Scott    (UK)

We booked a holiday to Benidorm with David Urquhart Travel. I specifically booked a flight which was supposed to be leaving Manchester Airport at 2pm on 11th May 2014. A few days before we were due to fly we received a telephone call to say that the flight had been put to 5.30 pm which we were not very happy about. When we arrived at the airport we were informed at check in that the flight would not be leaving until 7.40 pm. We eventually departed at 8.45 pm, 6 hours and 45 minutes after our original time. Most of the other passengers were grumbling and it seemed pretty clear that the original flight of 2pm had been taken off. We finally arrived at our hotel at 2 am local time, after setting off from our home at 2 pm the previous day. The seats were so closely packed together that my knees were up against the seat in front, we could barely get the trays down in front of us and it was impossible to recline the seats, as that would have given no room for the people behind us. To add to this, the stewards wheeling the trolleys met right against our seats and were there for about 20 minutes constantly opening the metal doors to get out items and letting the doors bang against our seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by J Kell    (UK)

Leeds Bradford to Heraklion, Crete. Plane clean and tidy both out and inbound. Sat on row 30 both ways and legroom atrocious for a 6ft male. Journey took four hours and I felt crippled by the end. I usually fly Jet 2 and their legroom is much better. I do not understand why airlines with such poor legroom have seats that recline, this just increases the discomfort of the person behind.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by N Hind    (UK)

Flew EMA to Malaga and back on the same aircraft. Plenty of legroom, new looking seats and generally clean. On time both ways.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Paul Habgood    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote return, planes clean and tidy, cabin crew polite. Leg room okay no different than Easyjet. Flights on time outbound & return, would have no hesitation booking with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by G Carraro    (UK)

I flew with Monarch many times with no major problems - it is a budget airline so expectations are low. However, twice this year I had one of their newly refitted aircraft : the seats are non-reclinable and very hard. I do not usually suffer from back-ache but I had to take a pain killer half away through the flight. For Rome to London a little over 2 hours flight this was bearable, although painful. But for a night 5 hours 40 minutes journey from Hurgada (Egypt) to London it is torture. I will not use them again for longer flights.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Rhys Crompton    (UK)

Flew from Alicante to Luton return. I fly with Monarch once or twice a year on this route and have for over 5 years. Cannot fault the airline, planes are clean, comfortable and more or less new. The cabin crew were very friendly and helpful. About 3 years ago my flight was cancelled due to snow in the UK which is understandable. Monarch dealt with the situation well and put me up in a hotel free of charge for a flight the next morning; brilliant. This is why I fly with Monarch because the likes of Ryanair and easyJet would not have done this to help me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Kai Savage    (UK)

Flew ZB7414/15 last month on an Airbus A321 with a newly fitted interior. The seats were so comfy and I've never had so much legroom in a non-extra legroom seat (7A/7F). I always fly Monarch when I can because they're staff are outstanding and the biggest delay I've ever had in my 32 flights with them was 25 minutes due to weather. Love Monarch and would recommend them to anyone. Ignore the bad reviews because I've flown with them 32 times and never experienced anything of the sort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by T Mickenson    (UK)

Flight to Rome 1st May from Birmingham - Flight MON 5408 and returned on Fri 2nd May on Flight MON 5409. Have flown with Monarch many, many times, and will do so as often as possible in the future. The Cabin Crew are the company's biggest asset - they are very helpful and give 100% service to everyone on board. My latest trip was to Rome - What a great flight. Always on time as was this flight, but if not only a few minutes late and this is not always down to the airline. Almost always they make up time during the flight. Food on board always of good quality for the price - Fleet is a little old, but understand new planes on order - Looking forward to getting on one of these - All in all a great company to travel with - have been treated like cattle on Easyjet and Ryanair, always try to use Monarch whenever possible.  Well Done to all at Monarch - Keep up the good work.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by S McNamara    (UK)

Flew Hurghada to Gatwick last night and the overwhelming issue is the lack of information at the airport about a delayed flight. All info boards had the flight as 20.05 but the boarding card has it as an hour later. When our supposed original boarding time came and went, the boards then changed to say the flight was delayed. When checking in, no one said the inbound flight was going to be delayed. Onboard, the pilot advised we were going to be late taking off as air traffic control didn't like their flight plan. All in all, we landed 2 hours later then we were scheduled to. Onboard, the flight on the A321 were uncomfortable, leg room was ok for a 6'5" male but you have to remember space is always going to be at a premium on such airlines. My other issue with these flights is that as they are late evening, there are always families travelling with young kids, such as we were, whereby it will be time for the kids to sleep. Constant announcements about duty free, refreshments, charity collections, rubbish collections etc, all add to a difficult sleep for young ones. I appreciate the airlines make a lot of money from selling items in board, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2014 by B Morrison    (UK)

Extra Legroom

My wife and I fly with Monarch as often as possible for the simple reason the flights are usually on time take off and landing, both outward and inbound journeys. My wife is disabled and wheelchair bound and nothing is too much trouble for the flight crew who always seem willing to help. The food is of good quality and Monarch never charge the disabled extra fees for extra leg room seats whereas Jet2 charge almost £25 each both journeys. I've never met a friendlier bunch of people.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Marco De Oliveira    (UK)

25 Apr 14, ZB 274. 27 Apr 14, ZB 275. Very efficient crew members. The plane was also very comfortable and didn't have the nuisance with trying to sell you stuff as most other budget airlines will do.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by R Orson    (UK)

ZB 496. Stag and Hen party on this flight - the stewardess kept saying they would keep the noise and swearing down, they did move the children and families forward, they did threaten to call ahead for the police, they did say they would not serve anymore alcohol to the stag group, they did say that that would take the passports off those me disputing the flight. The singing and swearing continues. The singing and swearing was relentless and the stewardesses continued with they empty threats, whist serving the culprits more alcohol. Weak handling by Monarch. Most left the plane tense and desperate to get off.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by P Chris    (UK)

Monarch is by far the worst airline I have used, just back from 2 weeks in Spain, over 3 hours late going out due to an aircraft fault, it was complete chaos after loading then being coached back to the departure lounge with no Monarch rep to oversee the situation, no food or drink offered. On returning home 2days ago I have yet to see my lost luggage.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Victor Shannon    (Spain)

Flew BCN-LGW on April 16th, departure was on time and arrival slightly early. The aircraft was a 16 year old A321. The cabin seemed a bit old but very tidy nevertheless. Cabin crew did the best they could to help us, they seemed very professional. My only complaint is the seat. It was really old and rather uncomfortable, although for such a short flight I don't consider this a major inconvenience. They were the cheapest from BCN to London on those dates, and I would certainly fly with them again in the future.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D Judge    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham on flight ZB 446 on 1st April, returning to Birmingham on 8th April on Flight ZB447. I have just returned from my first air travel following a debilitating stroke and cannot praise the crews on both my outbound and inbound flights they made this experience one which I will happily repeat. I would therefore like to say a huge thank you for their excellent customer care and delivering a service which others would benefit from following their example.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Tony Harris    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Tenerife 11/4, initially told of 4 hour delay on checking in, this then turned into 6 hours by the time we took off. To compound matters we had to endure a 2 hour wait at Gatwick for our luggage, having landed at 1am! Will do our best not to fly Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by R McVicker    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew Birmingham - Tenerife on 2 April, returning 9 April. Flights on time both ways with good service on board. Do need they extra legroom however.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Bradley Alan    (UK)

Returned from Sharm El Sheik early hours 4th April, should have been evening of 3 April - 5 hours late. Received the usual lies of "yes the plane has left the UK" only to find out it didn't hadn't. Information when available was sketchy at best when it wasn't an outright lie. Whether these issues lie solely with the handling agent or Monarch I am unsure, but it's Monarchs reputation that has hit rock bottom with me.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Robert Johnson    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Our flights to and from Alicante were on time, clean and tidy with good, if a little slow service. Their Car Hire partners (Firefly), however were a complete disaster. I would never use them again. Over an hour to get a hire car.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by W Resalsingh    (UK)

Flight from Tobago to Gatwick on 02/04/14 delayed for 24 hrs due to problems with the plane. Flight takes off, problem still not solved and had to land at Barbados. 2 days more, passengers still stranded in Barbados and Monarch don't even have the decency to issue something on their website informing friends and family what is going on! At the time of writing, all the passengers are still stranded in Barbados with no idea as to when they are going to get home!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by H Binns    (UK)

I've just returned from a trip to Goa with Monarch (flight only) I was apprehensive, having read all the bad reports but decided to give it a try. I can honestly say I couldn't fault it! No, it doesn't compare to Emirates or Qatar - but neither does the price! It does however, compare favourably with other charters. Ok, it wasn't the latest plane but it was clean and comfortable - the only thing lacking was the back of seat screen but I can live without that. Food was average but again, on a par with other charters. The big plus for me (besides the price) was the cabin crew, without exception they were friendly, professional and helpful - far better than I have experienced with other charters. Check-in went smoothly and both flights were more or less on time. Very happy with my experience and would not hesitate to use them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Bishop    (UK)

I fly every week between Spain and England using Ryanair, easyjet, Norwegian and monarch, after 3 years of doing the same trip I can honestly say Monarch are the worst airline by far, what I look for on a short haul flight is on time flying, Ryanair are the best followed by Norwegian then easyjet but Monarch are awful, nearly always a delay with some feeble excuse when we get on the plane!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Mary Middleton    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Just had the same experience as a previous correspondent, Luton - Tenerife. Paid for extra legroom and asked very specifically about seat location and recline. Outward flight fine, A320 with comfortable reclining seat, got 90 mins sleep. Return flight on newer A321 unspeakably uncomfortable, nasty, hard, plastic seat with no recline at all. 4 hours of total discomfort. Cabin staff said Monarch have no seat recline on any seats on new planes. Never, never again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Ron Bagshawe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew from Birmingham, ZB458, Feb 20th 2014 to Lanzarote and returned on March 20th 2014. Cabin Crew on both flights were superb, particularly on return flight to Birmingham where there were 9 disabled passengers on board including myself.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by K Bennett    (UK)

Gatwick to Lanzarote. Outbound journey was alright, the staff were friendly and professional. Inbound journey, firstly our plane was delayed 2.5 hours due to bad weather in Spain earlier in the day. Fair enough you can't help the weather. When we eventually got on the plane it was boiling the air con wasn't working as the back generator had gone. They spent about 30 minutes trying to get both engines to work on just the front generator meanwhile the heat was unbearable. The plane was really shabby and very loud when in flight. You don't get much leg room which is bad for a 4 hour flight. The food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced aswell. Overall it's good for cheap flights but I wouldn't recommend them!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Burnham Tina    (UK)

I will never fly with Monarch again, we had a 14 hour delay from Gatwick. We lost a precious night of our holiday ruined the first day as we were shattered, they didn't provide overnight accommodation so my 5 and 7 year tried to sleep on metal benches in the freezing noisy airport. They didn't even send a member of their own staff to help or give information, the staff on the plane were rude and just couldn't care less.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by S Wood    (UK)

24th Feb, flew to Sharm without a hitch. The seating seemed to be the same as all airlines in economy. Unluckily on the second day of my holiday I suffered a heart attack spending the rest of my holiday in hospital. On my return it was a worry that I was healthy enough to travel. Thankfully after a few questions the decision was made to allow me to travel, The staff were attentive, I was given a seat with extra room and I had a pleasant flight home.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by T Mustoe    (Gibraltar)

My daughter was due to fly today, 5th March but was delayed in traffic getting to Luton. She did however get to check in just 40 minutes before the flight was due to leave (check in was still manned and open). According to the Monarch website 40 minutes is the minimum time allowed for late boarding, she was however refused and had to return home. Last year Monarch left my same daughter stranded in Malaga (the flight was routed the from Gibraltar due to bad weather) the upshot of that was she was left there (during a strike by the Spanish) and I had to pay a small fortune to taxi her into Gibraltar, all this in spite of several fruitless calls to monarch during the several hours she was left there. As she visits me in Gibraltar frequently, as does my other daughter (who experiences no such issues from easyjet) begs the question, do I encourage my daughter to use Gatwick rather than Luton? Never use Monarch unless absolutely no other option is available.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Pearce Eddie    (UK)

Extra Legroom

We flew from Birmingham to Sharm on 25th January. Check in was quick and easy. We had booked extra leg room seats and I'm pleased we did because passengers in economy section looked extremely cramped. Flight departed on time and we actually arrived early. Cabin service was good throughout but if you get hungry I would suggest that you avoid the toasted sandwich - it was like chewing on two pieces of burnt cardboard. Return flight on 4th Feb was delayed by about 40 minutes. Service okay and we would probably use Monarch again - but only if we could get extra leg room seats.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by B Gross    (UK)

Last week I flew from Gatwick to Gambia. I have travelled world-wide in Economy with other airlines for much longer periods of time and although being cramped I have never had a problem. I never recline my seat, however this journey was made extremely uncomfortable not by the person in front of me but the woman behind. For the first few hours of the flight she had had her feet digging into my back. An hour before we were due to land she woke up and I heard her tutting and mumbling, then quite violently, she shoved my seat forward and held it there. I was in a window seat in row 17 and had previously had the full view of my window and a bit of the one behind. Now I had half of my own window which shows how far forward she had rammed my seat. In response she hurled abuse at me saying that I have been squashing her the entire 6.5 hours etc. I was also quite relieved that I had just finished my cup of hot coffee that I was holding only minutes before. This of course, is not a fault of the airline. I do however believe that if they want to reduce the space of the seats then they should not have the seats be able to recline or be moved at all. The plane was old and shabby and not ideal for a flight that long. I have been on shorter flights in Monarch planes that looked a lot better than this one. On the return flight, I was at the back of the plane and nowhere near the group but as we geared up ready for take off suddenly all the power went out and there were a lot of ashen-faced passengers who were no doubt thinking that had better not happen in the air. We were switched to auxiliary power and told by a very apologetic pilot that it would not happen again. I will not be flying with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by T Kavanagh    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Funchal airport in Madeira yesterday and boarding was a farce! I watched several planes land from the open air top floor balcony and passengers got off their planes and walked a very short distance to the terminal building. When we went left the terminal building to board, to the astonishment of virtually everyone, we had to get on a bus to our plane which was parked not an inch more than 30 yards away in front of the terminal building! The flight was ok but the extra legroom seat was very narrow and I am not fat! The food was poor and vastly overpriced, the cabin crew were very good and professional and I felt really sorry for them as on top of their normal duties they had to try and hawk uninteresting lottery tickets that nobody wanted and then they had to try to collect for some minor charity, again with no interest from the passengers.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Craig Bowring    (UK)

Booked our flights to Goa. Checking in was a breeze so a great start, boarding the airbus A330 I was pleasantly surprised, yes this is classed as a "budget" airline and yes you do get what you pay for but even though we went for the "budget" airline the seats for us were great. The leg room was good and the food was as all airplane food is but still nonetheless was a good meal and the cabin crew were lovely. Return flight was also the same. You do get what you pay for so if your expecting to fly like royalty then choose a different airline, but if you are like the average holiday maker and cant afford all those luxury's then this is a great airline to choose.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by C Thomas    (UK)

We have just returned from Goa, on the outbound journey we were disappointed not to have received the seats that Flight from Gatwick to Malaga in October. I wasn't expecting luxury but when the lady in front of me reclined her seat immediately after take off my journey became very uncomfortable. This wasn't helped by the seat pitch being very small in the first place and the pocket on the seat being bent and broken and digging into my knees for the whole flight. This was a morning flight so there was no need to recline. I would suggest to Monarch if they insist on packing so many people in and having small seat pitches, to follow in the steps of EasyJet and have seats that don't recline as unfortunately it seems that many people can't get to grips with good manners and common decency. Just think would you be happy if somebody did that to you! Easy really. I would use Monarch again but only for a flight of a maximum of 2 to 2.5 hours and only if they were a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by C Hague    (UK)

We have just returned from Goa, on the outbound journey we were disappointed not to have received the seats that we had asked for on medical grounds as stated on our tickets. When we arrived at the resort at 5.15 am we where told that we could not check in until 11.30am. During our stay we decided to upgrade our return seats to premium class, we paid £300 for the pair, on arrival at check in they had to search for our names which took up time, when we took our seats, a cabin crew member told us that because we had booked the premium return seats less than 48hrs before our flight we would not be getting the full premium service i.e. The food would be of a lower standard. We told the crew member that we had actually booked it a week ago, every time that we have travelled with Monarch we have had problems. We only booked this time because the hotel we wanted use Monarch. Never again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 January 2014 by L Eastwood    (UK)

Manchester - Goa on A330. We have just returned from Goa and were very disappointed with pretty much everything on the flight, the only good things were the Monarch staff at Manchester (check in and help desk) and that the flights actually left on time! But apart from that the seating was cramped, the plane was very dated, the entertainment very basic and unreliable for an 11 hour flight. The air crew were miserable and more interested in selling you earphones, expensive drinks and snacks before providing the inflight meals that were ok on the way there (two in 8 hrs) but totally inadequate on the return journey (one meal in 11hrs). After comparing these to previous flights with other companies we will not be using Monarch again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by A Luffman    (UK)

Just returned from Tenerife to Luton on 11th Jan and outward flight no problems at all as on A320 with extra leg room and older type seats (cloth) which reclined. Service and comfort fine. However return flight was on a A321 which looked as if it had just been refitted with leather type seats with no recline action and despite again having extra leg room turned out to be the most uncomfortable flight I have been on. Virtually no padding anywhere on the seat, arm rest shorter than the norm and seat squab appeared to be shorter as well which added to the discomfort. I wasn't the only one to complain to on board staff and by the response they have had many more! I would say 2 hours is about the limit that one could endure so 4- 5 hours is really a pain in the butt! Flown with Ryanair and Easyjet to same place and they were much better for the comfort factor. Just hope Monarch do not refit all planes with same seats! Apart from this aspect staff and food etc fine and not constantly pestered.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by A Sillett    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Travelled from Luton to Rome in January 2014. Aircrew where very polite and helpful. Plane seats were comfortable, we'd booked extra leg room which was adequate for my tall husband. Flew on time and arrived early in Rome.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by G Hussey    (UK)

Just got back from Goa. Was ill during flight, so 11 hours of torture! Cabin crew were really nice, but let down by under-investment in the aircraft. These are really old planes, so old fashioned drop down TVs (that kept breaking) and noise levels etc all the norm for older planes. Per comments here, seat pitch and width is terrible, so restful flight impossible. It wasn't that cheap, so no "get what you pay for" nonsense. Overall, great crew. Real shame let down by poor planes/flying experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Andy McGuinness    (UK)

Flew to Egypt and back (Sharm el Sheik) December 2013. Return flight delayed by about 2 hrs due to weather problems in Grenoble, so travelled much later than anticipated. Seat pitch is appalling, I would suggest that it may have safety issues if rapid disembarkation is required and leg room so appalling it invites DVT. Even though the 5.5 hr flight took off some time after 22.00 instead of 20.20, the cabin crew still kept up their incessant sales pitch for inedible food, undrinkable wine and 2 for 1 offers for duty free tat throughout the flight making relaxation - what there was of it, considering the lack of personal space - even more difficult. The seats were worn out, hard and many would not recline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by K Glasby    (UK)

Flew EMA to Faro 19/12, flight more or less left on time, aircraft clean and very presentable, cabin crew good with regular updates from the flight deck. Returned on 26th, late on departure, an air traffic control issue, made up time into EMA again cabin crew very smart and attentive even though flight was less then half full. Only problem with this airline is the lack of leg room, same as other charter airlines. It was almost acceptable for the flight distance.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by James Fitch    (UK)

Tenerife to Luton on 27 December 2013. The plane was delayed by approximately one hour. I was seated in 17A (allocated) and the space between the front of the seat and the back of 16A was 10.5 inches which is absolutely absurd. I had the most uncomfortable flight ever and considering I fly on average 18-20 times a year and have been doing so for 50 years that is some claim.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Beryl Hatton    (UK)

I flew on a Monarch plane chartered by Saga in January from Los Angeles to London Gatwick and endured a long delay at LA with no help from anyone regarding food or reasons for delay. Eventually sweltering customers were boarded on just one set of steps for the whole jumbo planeload. The seats were very cramped and the aisles very narrow. I am 5ft 2ins and very slim but had to walk sideways breathing in to pass down the aisles towards the rear of the plane. I could see well built passengers overflowing into the aisles from their seats and also on to the unfortunate person sitting next to them. This is not the service or comfort that Monarch offered a few years ago. The food was sparse and awful but the crew blamed it on Saga. Worse still, we had to make an emergency landing at Santiago due to a sick passenger and when airborne again, an announcement was made that there would be no hot drinks served as they had run out of hot water. Never heard such an excuse and all we could have were cold drinks. Completely unacceptable and never explained to us. Now worried that Fred Olsen are using Monarch to connect us to a cruise starting from Tenerife on 17th January 2014. Wonder what will be in store for hapless passengers on that flight?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Jack Alexander    (UK)

ZB96, 14th December, 0900, Luton to Sharm el Sheik. So we got onto the airplane as usual nothing special about that, after a short time we took off, all seemed well until about an hour into the flight to Egypt we were told there was a technical difficulty with the plane and we had to travel another hour back to Luton airport. We were then kept waiting on the airplane at the airport for 2.5 hours waiting for them to fix the problem a large majority of this time was without air conditioning and we were told we cannot leave the plane, so all in all we have been sat on this plane for 4.5 hours and we are right back where we started. Worst airline I've ever experienced, don't ever use Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 December 2013 by Kevin Tunnicliffe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Arrived at airport and saw huge queues for check in. Approached by staff member and asked if we would like extra legroom seats at extra cost of £26.95 each. Said "yes" and were taken straight to a desk reserved for premium flyers and were then told we would get complimentary upgrades coming back. Cabin crew very pleasant and efficient. Monarch if a sort of hybrid airline between low cost and full service models. They have both charter and scheduled operations. 20kg baggage pus 10kg hand luggage included but all food and drinks are paid for as required. Both flights on time and as this was a four and a half hour flight the extra legroom seats were well worth the money. On board they announced spare extra legroom seats for sale at £30 one way, so we were doubly pleased.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Neil Harvey    (UK)

Manchester to Tenerife 5th December. Flight on time and crew friendly and efficient. Seats could be better in terms of legroom and width for a 4 1/2 hour flight . 10 kg cabin baggage adequate though paying £15 for online check in is a bit steep but maybe worth it to avoid the 30 minute queue at Manchester airport.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by A Kyprianou    (UK)

Luton to Larnaca. OK as expected. Larnaca to Luton - different aircraft - non reclining seats on 5 hour night flight. Completely crazy? Non-reclining seats may be acceptable for a 1-2 hour flight, but a plane load of passengers dying for some sleep, many of whom have a long drive when they arrive back in the UK is nuts. Couldn't see that they had got anymore seats onto the plane because of it. If you want to save weight stick to the 10kg cabin bag limit and not let people into the cabin with full size 20kg suitcases.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Paul Brown    (UK)

Got on the plane from Sharm, Egypt, 28th Nov. Boarding time was 17.25, waited on plane for over 2 hours as there was supposed to be a problem with the air conditioning. Staff didn't offer drinks to people, they needed to be asked. The flight then to Birmingham was diverted to Luton, we arrived in Luton at 23.15 local time, and was told there would be coaches to meet us there, at 02.00 the coaches turned up, only two of them. There were no Monarch staff there to assist any passengers, I finally got home at 05.00 and was suppose to be at work at 07.30. Will never use Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by P Matt    (UK)

Luton to Lanzarote. Very good. Pre ordered food and was excellent would do that again. Flights were 125 pounds. I would use them again over Ryanair. Much more straight forward and less in your face. Hardly any legroom at all even worse than easyjet but I'm only 5'9 and it was only a 4 hour flight so for the money I was happy. Extra legroom seats could be worth it but would have put and extra 50 odd pounds on each ticket so we put up with the lack of legroom.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by J Bartley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew return flights to Egypt, 11/11/13-25/11/13. When checking in asked for extra leg room, charge for this was £ £10 per seat, well worth it. On the way back from Egypt they wanted £30 per seat, same plane etc? Staff were good and friendly, disappointed with the return charge for extra leg room as I am over 6 foot the "normal" seating space was very cramped! Another thing was we couldn't check in online which was a bit of a pain.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2013 by Busby David    (UK)

My main grudge is with the seating. I am 6ft 3ins and therefore usually, when flying economy airlines, ask for, and pay for, extra leg room, and usually in advance. I have not flown Monarch for some years now but when I used to fly Monarch, I recall a superior charter airline with more seating space and better food and service than other charter airlines. This time (14/11/13 Leeds/Bradford to Lanzarote) booked through Sunseekers, I had no opportunity to book extra legroom in advance. Monarchs confirmation to me, through Sunseekers, advertised extra legroom seats "from £6.99 per single flight". Extra legroom seats were offered to me on the outbound trip for £10 each. On the return trip, at the airport, I asked for seats with extra legroom and was told the price, one way, was £31, vastly more than either £10, or £6.99 come to that. Obviously this price was grossly too expensive as the seats were offered on the plane at £20 each, still a lot but hugely annoying to anyone who had paid £31 in the terminal. I found both of these prices to be unacceptable as I would have needed two seats. As a result I spent a very unhappy and cramped 4 and 1/4 hours and will not choose Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by Helen Tyson    (UK)

Malaga to Manchester on 19th October. At 6 months pregnant and with a 14 month old toddler, I was worried and apprehensive about the flight. My son became distressed during the flight which turned out to be an ear infection and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Staff came to give some support and discussed ways to soothe my son without being condescending and didn't make a scene.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Sophia Kaganovich    (UK)

Flew MAN-TFS a few weeks ago. On arrival we were informed of a 5 hour delay and received a mere £5 food voucher that could only be used in selected places-and it just and no more got me a meal deal. We were scheduled to leave at 14.55 and ended up leaving at 20.05, so delayed by over 5 hours. We were then herded onto the plane like cattle and once in the air bombarded every 10 mins with offers of food. The cabin crew were more interested in selling you something than your actual well being. On the return we were late taking off yet again by around half an hour. Be warned, no Monarch Airlines flight ever takes off on time, so never use them for a connecting flight or when you have to be somewhere prompt. Would certainly not recommend, even after a 5 hour display with a distance over 3.500km they refused to cough up and pay compensation. Will certainly avoid Monarch in the future and would never recommend them.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by J Bransby    (UK)

We flew on an Airbus A320 from Birmingham to Heraklion (Crete) on 9th August 2013 and returning on 23rd August 2013. Upon boarding the aircraft Heraklion bound (25 mins late due to the late arrival of the aircraft from Rome) we noticed the horrible, fake leather green seats that were pealing. This was not too much of an issue, however. The crew were friendly and we landed on time in Heraklion. The flight times both ways were a little inconvenient, but certainly a lot better than early morning flights. On the return flight, we noticed our Monarch A320 landing 25 mins early from Birmingham much to our surprise. We boarded and were in the air 20 mins early, which was great, and Landed at BHX a full 40 mins ahead of schedule! Unfortunately this was overshadowed by having to wait 25 mins for a bus to the terminal (which was not the fault of the airline I must stress), but nevertheless a pleasant flight. The only reason I haven't awarded higher is because the flights were a little over-priced. Overall I would recommend Monarch, and had the prices not have been so extortionate for next year on the same route we would have flown again. Flying Ryanair instead at £400 cheaper!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Brian Williams    (UK)

We have a home on the Costa Blanca which involves about 5 return trips per year from Liverpool or Manchester to Alicante. Normally using EasyJet we found cheaper flights with Monarch. All was well from Manchester until waiting at Alicante for more than an hour for luggage to appear. Some passengers learned indirectly that the aircraft luggage hatch could not be opened. Nobody told us anything. My wife and family flew back a week earlier than me. We queued for more than an hour at on-line baggage drop. 23 desks were open for hundreds of passengers. No Monarch staff on hand. A lady from Thomson Airlines kept trying to help make some order from chaos but she had her own passengers to attend to. Eventually I left them at security and went off to find the Monarch desk. There is no Monarch presence at Alicante. Their interests are looked after by Iberia. Nobody at Iberia Customer Help Desk. 3 staff at adjoining ticket desk shrugged and said maybe somebody in 1 min or 10 min. Waited 10 min and left. To add insult to injury on return home received text from Monarch to relax, 10.30 flight will be leaving on time. This was 11.10. Have not used Monarch for some years. Tried Ryanair once. Never again. EasyJet always spot on. Scores for customer service? EasyJet 10/10. Ryanair 0/10. Monarch -5.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Vanessa Wager    (UK)

Disgusted with return flight from Cyprus on Sat 21st Oct to Luton. Seats far too cramped. Lady in next aisle complained about lady in front of her who put head rest back. Lady in front was also sitting in extra leg room seat. Her behaviour was awful, she had all the leg room but still put her head rest back and got none of the blame. She stormed off down the front of the plane for the rest of the journey and wouldn't let anybody else sit in her seat. None of this would have happened if there had been more leg room in first place. I had back ache for over a week after returning from being wedged in my seat and believe me it felt like torture being stuck in a seat for nearly 5 hour, it felt more like 10 hours. I am 5ft 10" and my boyfriend is 6ft 2".

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2013 by D Chandler    (UK)

BHX-ACE-BHX, Airbus A321. Seats (row 8 outbound and row 7 inbound) were very comfortable and although looking small were quite spacious and the aircraft interior seemed quite new. The 4hr 15mins flight seemed like 2hrs the flight was that good!! I would fly Monarch again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2013 by J Russell    (UK)

Flew from East Midlands to Alicante. Staff very attentive, plenty of leg room which was great. Food I thought was very good value, tried one of their Cheese and Tomato Bloomers on the way out which was very enjoyable so bought the Cheese and Ham one on the way back. Very good experience all round look forward to flying with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2013 by Philip Edwards    (UK)

Flights 5408, 5409 from Birmingham, UK to Rome, Italy. 1000 miles, 2.5 hour flight. Airbus A320-200 both ways. OK but not the best. Queues for check in at Birmingham long but well managed. Quick check in. Planes OK and fairly new, seats in good condition and fairly comfortable. Armrests comfy. However no IFE or even a foldup screen to show location. Crew friendly and informative, good landings. No circling! But a bit expensive for what service you get at £450 return. Food/drink choice onboard good and menu card in seat folder in front of you, reasonable prices for airline food. They don't try and sell you 10,000 things. Like Ryanair! Slightly more seat recline wanted perhaps. And a better sweet spot on the seat for when reclining/trying to rest. On way back 30 mins late takeoff due to a/c glitch. So no window blinds open until takeoff!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by M Vaughan    (UK)

Leeds Bradford to Rome return. Flew 20th October and returned 27th October. Flight out was on time and very nice A320 which appeared new. Paid for extra seats and well worth the££5 on the day. Crew very pleasant and worked hard. Return on Sunday 27th was on same plane but a horrible journey with bumpy flight all way home and extremely difficult landing at Leeds airport in storm, I have to say we could not have been in better hands as Captain kept us informed throughout flight and coped so well with testing conditions. The cabin crew were a gem. They kept everyone calm and their manner was exceptional. An absolute credit to their company.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by Terence Clark    (UK)

I have been using Monarch Airlines for me and my family for many years, and once again we are waiting for our daughter on yet another delayed flight, this is now happening far too often. When can we expect improvements. Does this mean I will have to look at an alternative airline. Of 5 flights so far this year one almost landed on time. Waiting for flight ZB 252.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Alan Dinnie-Weall    (UK)

Our planned trip from Gatwick to Florida for next May has (I understand others as well) already been cancelled due a short-fall in passenger numbers! It is very rare for me to have a holiday let alone fly. I have been told by friends that they have never heard of this situation before, seven months before the planned flights. I have been told due to lack of demand but am worried why so far ahead.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Joanne Holt    (UK)

Flying from Manchester to Malaga, 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 weeks and one 9 years old. We were scheduled to fly at 7.45, we boarded the flight, my son was near the window then myself with my 9 week old daughter then my husband, we all fastened our seat belts ready for take of when my son smelt burning from under his seat, we alerted the cabin crew who said that we needed to remain seated. At this point other passengers became aware of this problem when the plane started to fill with smoke. The cabin crew would not let anyone leave the plane, everyone became frantic, eventually after about an hour we were allowed to disembark, and were taken back to the terminal. Told that due to a leak from the air conditioning unit that had leaked onto the engine this is what had caused the smell and smoke. We flew later at 4 and were given a £5 food voucher. Will not be flying with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by K Taylor    (UK)

From Mallorca to Birmingham, row 6. The worst seat ever, was like sitting on a plank, it felt like the foam was half an inch thick. Have travelled with this airline approx twenty times and seating is getting worse. I will try to avoid using them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by H Miller    (UK)

Travelling from Istanbul to London Gatwick last night an inconsiderate passenger fully reclined her seat in to my face, her seat was gently pushed up in to the upright position and she was asked to be more considerate. She demanded that the stewardess confirm her right to recline in to my space, the stewardess confirmed her right, I had to accept this. The reclined seat now obstructed the light from my overhead reading light meaning I could not read comfortably, having to hold my book up in to the limited light passing the back of the reclined seat. If the use of reclining seats is to be continued the reading lights will require to be shifted to a position where their beam is not obstructed by reclined seat backs. Is it too much to ask that one can read in comfort during a flight?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by P Young    (UK)

Flight ZB751 from Dalaman, 7th October. Not much fun being on board with a drunk who had consumed a whole bottle of his own duty free vodka. Stewardess did enquire if he was drinking his own alcohol, of course he lied! Was disappointed that they did not contact security ahead of landing and have an official to greet him. I felt very anxious in a confined space, Monarch staff were aware of the situation but chose to ignore. As we wanted to distance ourselves from this man, this resulted in my leaving my handbag on board I realised once through Passport control. Nobody wanted to help. Trying to actually speak to someone at Monarch is appalling.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Ian Robinson    (UK)

Gatwick to Tobago leaving on 2nd October returning the following week. Disappointing check in at Gatwick with unclear and misleading signs. We were told that we were unable to have a window and aisle seat (pre booking was not available) as a section of the Premium Economy cabin had been 'blocked out' and as a result, these seats were not free. However with the help of the supervisor, this was sorted out and we were given the seats that we had asked for. Once on board, the cabin was only one third full, so not sure what all the fuss was about. Very impressed with the level of service and helpfulness of the staff through out the complete flight (BA and Virgin could learn a lot from this crew). The food was excellent and drinks were available through out. The seats were a little narrow and the IFE was just OK but considering the cost of the holiday, it was fantastic value. Exactly the same crew flew us home and the level of service was equally as good. Based on this flight and despite the problems at check in, we would have no hesitation in recommending Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Nigel Pictor    (UK)

Absolute minimum of seat space, this being less than acceptable, I consider it almost tortuous. Flight was a scheduled 3 hours ex Gibraltar, being from approx 8pm local arriving UK approx 10pm local. Add 1 hour for baggage, customs, getting to car etc bringing it round to 11pm. This was followed by a planned 3+ hour drive home. No opportunity to sleep on flight. Continual announcements + Stewardess intrusions regarding: 1) meals + 2) drinks + 3) duty free sales + 4) gift purchase + 5) sales of airline's lottery tickets + 6) airline's favoured charity + 7) collection of unwanted currency. I may not have recalled here some other sales intrusion. Staff were doing their job, but in future would rather pay more, get food straight away, and be left to get the needed sleep, in space and comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Jackie Willett    (UK)

I travel to Dalaman 3 times a year and mostly end up with Monarch as they come out cheapest. As I am flight only, I can check in online and choose my seat for a small fee. Mostly the flights leave on time, in my experience, and the cabin crew are excellent. I do wish we had in flight entertainment, as 4 hours is plenty of time to watch a film or something! Over the last few years, I do think the legroom is less, I feel £22 each way is too much for extra legroom. The best for legroom is the centre block on a bigger plane when I flew to Egypt. I would not hesitate to recommend Monarch and will continue to fly with them.