Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by J Bransby    (UK)

We flew on an Airbus A320 from Birmingham to Heraklion (Crete) on 9th August 2013 and returning on 23rd August 2013. Upon boarding the aircraft Heraklion bound (25 mins late due to the late arrival of the aircraft from Rome) we noticed the horrible, fake leather green seats that were pealing. This was not too much of an issue, however. The crew were friendly and we landed on time in Heraklion. The flight times both ways were a little inconvenient, but certainly a lot better than early morning flights. On the return flight, we noticed our Monarch A320 landing 25 mins early from Birmingham much to our surprise. We boarded and were in the air 20 mins early, which was great, and Landed at BHX a full 40 mins ahead of schedule! Unfortunately this was overshadowed by having to wait 25 mins for a bus to the terminal (which was not the fault of the airline I must stress), but nevertheless a pleasant flight. The only reason I haven't awarded higher is because the flights were a little over-priced. Overall I would recommend Monarch, and had the prices not have been so extortionate for next year on the same route we would have flown again. Flying Ryanair instead at £400 cheaper!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Brian Williams    (UK)

We have a home on the Costa Blanca which involves about 5 return trips per year from Liverpool or Manchester to Alicante. Normally using EasyJet we found cheaper flights with Monarch. All was well from Manchester until waiting at Alicante for more than an hour for luggage to appear. Some passengers learned indirectly that the aircraft luggage hatch could not be opened. Nobody told us anything. My wife and family flew back a week earlier than me. We queued for more than an hour at on-line baggage drop. 23 desks were open for hundreds of passengers. No Monarch staff on hand. A lady from Thomson Airlines kept trying to help make some order from chaos but she had her own passengers to attend to. Eventually I left them at security and went off to find the Monarch desk. There is no Monarch presence at Alicante. Their interests are looked after by Iberia. Nobody at Iberia Customer Help Desk. 3 staff at adjoining ticket desk shrugged and said maybe somebody in 1 min or 10 min. Waited 10 min and left. To add insult to injury on return home received text from Monarch to relax, 10.30 flight will be leaving on time. This was 11.10. Have not used Monarch for some years. Tried Ryanair once. Never again. EasyJet always spot on. Scores for customer service? EasyJet 10/10. Ryanair 0/10. Monarch -5.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Vanessa Wager    (UK)

Disgusted with return flight from Cyprus on Sat 21st Oct to Luton. Seats far too cramped. Lady in next aisle complained about lady in front of her who put head rest back. Lady in front was also sitting in extra leg room seat. Her behaviour was awful, she had all the leg room but still put her head rest back and got none of the blame. She stormed off down the front of the plane for the rest of the journey and wouldn't let anybody else sit in her seat. None of this would have happened if there had been more leg room in first place. I had back ache for over a week after returning from being wedged in my seat and believe me it felt like torture being stuck in a seat for nearly 5 hour, it felt more like 10 hours. I am 5ft 10" and my boyfriend is 6ft 2".

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2013 by D Chandler    (UK)

BHX-ACE-BHX, Airbus A321. Seats (row 8 outbound and row 7 inbound) were very comfortable and although looking small were quite spacious and the aircraft interior seemed quite new. The 4hr 15mins flight seemed like 2hrs the flight was that good!! I would fly Monarch again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2013 by J Russell    (UK)

Flew from East Midlands to Alicante. Staff very attentive, plenty of leg room which was great. Food I thought was very good value, tried one of their Cheese and Tomato Bloomers on the way out which was very enjoyable so bought the Cheese and Ham one on the way back. Very good experience all round look forward to flying with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2013 by Philip Edwards    (UK)

Flights 5408, 5409 from Birmingham, UK to Rome, Italy. 1000 miles, 2.5 hour flight. Airbus A320-200 both ways. OK but not the best. Queues for check in at Birmingham long but well managed. Quick check in. Planes OK and fairly new, seats in good condition and fairly comfortable. Armrests comfy. However no IFE or even a foldup screen to show location. Crew friendly and informative, good landings. No circling! But a bit expensive for what service you get at £450 return. Food/drink choice onboard good and menu card in seat folder in front of you, reasonable prices for airline food. They don't try and sell you 10,000 things. Like Ryanair! Slightly more seat recline wanted perhaps. And a better sweet spot on the seat for when reclining/trying to rest. On way back 30 mins late takeoff due to a/c glitch. So no window blinds open until takeoff!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by M Vaughan    (UK)

Leeds Bradford to Rome return. Flew 20th October and returned 27th October. Flight out was on time and very nice A320 which appeared new. Paid for extra seats and well worth the££5 on the day. Crew very pleasant and worked hard. Return on Sunday 27th was on same plane but a horrible journey with bumpy flight all way home and extremely difficult landing at Leeds airport in storm, I have to say we could not have been in better hands as Captain kept us informed throughout flight and coped so well with testing conditions. The cabin crew were a gem. They kept everyone calm and their manner was exceptional. An absolute credit to their company.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by Terence Clark    (UK)

I have been using Monarch Airlines for me and my family for many years, and once again we are waiting for our daughter on yet another delayed flight, this is now happening far too often. When can we expect improvements. Does this mean I will have to look at an alternative airline. Of 5 flights so far this year one almost landed on time. Waiting for flight ZB 252.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Alan Dinnie-Weall    (UK)

Our planned trip from Gatwick to Florida for next May has (I understand others as well) already been cancelled due a short-fall in passenger numbers! It is very rare for me to have a holiday let alone fly. I have been told by friends that they have never heard of this situation before, seven months before the planned flights. I have been told due to lack of demand but am worried why so far ahead.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Joanne Holt    (UK)

Flying from Manchester to Malaga, 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 weeks and one 9 years old. We were scheduled to fly at 7.45, we boarded the flight, my son was near the window then myself with my 9 week old daughter then my husband, we all fastened our seat belts ready for take of when my son smelt burning from under his seat, we alerted the cabin crew who said that we needed to remain seated. At this point other passengers became aware of this problem when the plane started to fill with smoke. The cabin crew would not let anyone leave the plane, everyone became frantic, eventually after about an hour we were allowed to disembark, and were taken back to the terminal. Told that due to a leak from the air conditioning unit that had leaked onto the engine this is what had caused the smell and smoke. We flew later at 4 and were given a £5 food voucher. Will not be flying with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by K Taylor    (UK)

From Mallorca to Birmingham, row 6. The worst seat ever, was like sitting on a plank, it felt like the foam was half an inch thick. Have travelled with this airline approx twenty times and seating is getting worse. I will try to avoid using them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by H Miller    (UK)

Travelling from Istanbul to London Gatwick last night an inconsiderate passenger fully reclined her seat in to my face, her seat was gently pushed up in to the upright position and she was asked to be more considerate. She demanded that the stewardess confirm her right to recline in to my space, the stewardess confirmed her right, I had to accept this. The reclined seat now obstructed the light from my overhead reading light meaning I could not read comfortably, having to hold my book up in to the limited light passing the back of the reclined seat. If the use of reclining seats is to be continued the reading lights will require to be shifted to a position where their beam is not obstructed by reclined seat backs. Is it too much to ask that one can read in comfort during a flight?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by P Young    (UK)

Flight ZB751 from Dalaman, 7th October. Not much fun being on board with a drunk who had consumed a whole bottle of his own duty free vodka. Stewardess did enquire if he was drinking his own alcohol, of course he lied! Was disappointed that they did not contact security ahead of landing and have an official to greet him. I felt very anxious in a confined space, Monarch staff were aware of the situation but chose to ignore. As we wanted to distance ourselves from this man, this resulted in my leaving my handbag on board I realised once through Passport control. Nobody wanted to help. Trying to actually speak to someone at Monarch is appalling.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Ian Robinson    (UK)

Gatwick to Tobago leaving on 2nd October returning the following week. Disappointing check in at Gatwick with unclear and misleading signs. We were told that we were unable to have a window and aisle seat (pre booking was not available) as a section of the Premium Economy cabin had been 'blocked out' and as a result, these seats were not free. However with the help of the supervisor, this was sorted out and we were given the seats that we had asked for. Once on board, the cabin was only one third full, so not sure what all the fuss was about. Very impressed with the level of service and helpfulness of the staff through out the complete flight (BA and Virgin could learn a lot from this crew). The food was excellent and drinks were available through out. The seats were a little narrow and the IFE was just OK but considering the cost of the holiday, it was fantastic value. Exactly the same crew flew us home and the level of service was equally as good. Based on this flight and despite the problems at check in, we would have no hesitation in recommending Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Nigel Pictor    (UK)

Absolute minimum of seat space, this being less than acceptable, I consider it almost tortuous. Flight was a scheduled 3 hours ex Gibraltar, being from approx 8pm local arriving UK approx 10pm local. Add 1 hour for baggage, customs, getting to car etc bringing it round to 11pm. This was followed by a planned 3+ hour drive home. No opportunity to sleep on flight. Continual announcements + Stewardess intrusions regarding: 1) meals + 2) drinks + 3) duty free sales + 4) gift purchase + 5) sales of airline's lottery tickets + 6) airline's favoured charity + 7) collection of unwanted currency. I may not have recalled here some other sales intrusion. Staff were doing their job, but in future would rather pay more, get food straight away, and be left to get the needed sleep, in space and comfort.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Jackie Willett    (UK)

I travel to Dalaman 3 times a year and mostly end up with Monarch as they come out cheapest. As I am flight only, I can check in online and choose my seat for a small fee. Mostly the flights leave on time, in my experience, and the cabin crew are excellent. I do wish we had in flight entertainment, as 4 hours is plenty of time to watch a film or something! Over the last few years, I do think the legroom is less, I feel £22 each way is too much for extra legroom. The best for legroom is the centre block on a bigger plane when I flew to Egypt. I would not hesitate to recommend Monarch and will continue to fly with them.