MIAT Mongolian Airlines Customer Reviews and MIAT Mongolian Trip Reports

Add your MIAT Mongolian Airlines Review

MIAT Mongolian Airlines 3-Star Airline Ranking

Customer Review scoring : MIAT Mongolian Airlines
3.5 Star Rating: Fair

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES Customer review :  15 August 2013 by Laran Bucharan    (Canada)

I have been flying with MIAT for the past 6 years, and was quite eager to jump at the chance to avoid flying through China (PEK) while en-route to UB. HKG-ULN service is good (for Northern Asia standards). The lounge at HKG is the same one used by Air China and it sucks big time (they routinely serve sardines in cold tomato sauce and the liquor selection leaves much to be desired). MIAT flight attendants are very good.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES Customer review :  3 April 2013 by Shanaka Gooneratne    (Australia)

Flew HKG-ULN-HKG. Both flights operated by B738. Check in process good and painless. Flights on time. Boarding was done efficiently. Cabin attendants fantastic and friendly. Food was good quality and quantity for Y class. Seat pitch a bit tight and there was zero entertainment on the B738 flown on board sectors. A good and improving airline. Have got much worse from airlines with better rankings. Definitely an airline to consider and watch for once they receive the state of the art B767-300 ER shortly.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES Customer review :  25 February 2013 by M Hine    (Australia)

Flew Hong Kong to UB return June-August 2012. Planes a little old but very comfortable. They played a recent movie for inflight entertainment and the seats were nicely spaced. Food on the way there was authentic Chinese which is fine for adults but my 3 kids only ate the rice. My only other complaint was they decided to cancel our return flight due to lack of passengers which meant we had to stay longer in Hong Kong on the return. We have flown with MIAT on a number of occasions over the last ten years and they are improving all the time. Will really benefit when/if the new airport project ever gets off the ground.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  29 June 2012 by P Weemaes   (Australia)

HKG-ULN round trip. We had no problems with our flights, and based on our round trip I think the two star rating is a bit harsh, have certainly flown 3 star airlines which were considerably worse than Miat. Our flights left on time. The service was certainly above average, exceptionally friendly cabin crew. The food was fine. The planes were a only a little bit aged, and the seats were comfortable. No personal entertainment systems in the seats, but for a regional flight we didn't expect any either. Overall we were very pleased with our experience and given the fact that they were $300 cheaper for the round trip than the next cheapest airline servicing the route, they were definitely value for money.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  23 May 2012 by Jenny Smitters   (Russia)

The worst customer service I have ever come across. I bought a return Moscow-Berlin because they were cheap and the flight times convenient. Outward flight went fine, however on the return the plane was delayed overnight - they put us up in a hotel (no food though) and told us to return at 5 am for a 7 am flight. However once there, we were told the flight was again delayed a further 15 hours. Not a MIAT representative in sight, I had to get home so bought a ticket with another airline. The food is also bad but that didn't bother me too much. Only giving them 1 out of 10 because they did get me to my destination before messing me around on the return trip.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  28 December 2011 by R Stanley   (USA)

HKG-ULN round trip, first flight was delayed by 8 hours due to weather. Onboard service was above average, ahead of American carriers. Seat pitch average, was decent, coffee was horrible. The return flight was better. Attentive service, better meals, clean aircraft, and surprisingly modern facilities in ULN.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  24 August 2011 by B Hayward   (Australia)

HKG-ULN return on the B738. Business class cabin, service and comfort was perfectly adequate for medium range sectors. Seat and legroom were equal to domestic Australian Business Class. Both flights departed and arrived close to schedule. Catering on board was simple but effective, and cabin service fine. A small airline with a limited but varied network.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  24 August 2011 by David Nico   (Germany)

Berlin to Ulaanbaatar return. First leg was nonstop on the large Boeing and return on a smaller plane that needed to be refueled in Ekaterinburg, Russia. We had ordered vegetarian meals for both flights, but on the first, they did not have them. First flight was not fully booked and had lots of space at the back of the plane. The Boeing had good leg space and recline of the seats was good. Staff were attentive and replied to all requests. Food appeared to be cheap and was not tasty. The return flight had a refuel stop, it took over 1.5 hrs longer. Plane was smaller, had a 3-3 seat configuration and was nearly full. It had only 2 toilets for the whole Economy Class, so there were queues in the corridor. However, staff were helpful.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  7 November 2010 by René Engesser   (Switzerland)

TXL-SVO. Very attentive service on board, fine food, a perfect flight.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  12 July 2010 by A Tiagonce   (USA)

ICN to ULN business class. The plane was a newer B737-800 which appeared to be in good shape. The seats were comfortable, good food and very attentive FA's. Check in at ICN was relatively easy and ULN also fine. Why can't American carriers come anywhere near the level of service and civility found on Asian carriers?

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  26 February 2010 by G Davis   (USA)

ULN to ICN on B737-800. On the plane the service is fantastic. Comfortable seats, good meal, attentive FA's, modern and clean plane. Seats 1A and 1B have tons of leg room. Checking in at ULN is another story. Complete chaos. No questions about where you want to sit. Unable to check back through to the US, so had to exit the terminal at ICN, pick up bag at ICN, then recheck in on flight to US. Boarding chaotic because of multiple planes leaving from the same gate. I wasn't sure I was on the right plane till I actually saw us landing in ICN.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review :  14 January 2010 by R Dinu   (Netherlands)

Several flights with MIAT on the routes TXL-ULN-TXL and PEK-ULN-PEK. Service is always good. Flights are most of the times on time (experienced only one delay in PEK due to bad weather conditions). Planes are ok. The Airbus 310 is getting older but performs good and is more comfortable than many of the newer planes. All in all, I would choose MIAT over AirChina or Aeroflot also due to the fact that they have "almost direct" flights from TXL to ULN. Prices could get a bit lower though, especially in the Summer season tickets can get quite expensive.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer review : 8 August 2009 by B Jones

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Many times was flying with Mongolian Airlines on route ULN-PEK-ULN. The fleet is aging especially A310-300. But the service, food is fine.

MIAT MONGOLIAN AIRLINES customer  review : 24 June 2008 : by I Martius

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

I got stuck in ICN for 12 hours. The delay was weather related (not MIAT fault), but the airline failed to inform us what was going on. While traveling on the pricier "Business" class, I ended up spending the night sleeping in the airport terminal. Airline would not even issue meal vouchers (then again, everything shuts down at Incheon after 900 pm) or statements of what was going on. Finally the flight took off at 500 am. Meals are OK. If I had to choose between Korean Air and MIAT, I would stick to MIAT - they will take off no matter what (unlike Korean).

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by C Dunigan

30 September 2007  Customer Trip Rating : n/a

Seoul - UB round trip. Flight out okay, bumped to business class. Attentive staff. Food good. Plane clearly very old -- ashtrays, old dial-type volume and channel controls, video unwatchable. Return trip, flight delayed 13+ hours because of a broken window. We had to wait for another plane. They did provide a bus to take us back downtown so we could sightsee, picked us up again. Stored our bulky luggage for us. So for a struggling airline, they're trying to keep the customers happy but don't have much of a fleet yet to work with.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by D John

13 August 2007

Seoul to Ulaanbataar Business Class - a short 3 hour flight. The crew were attentive. The meal was excellent, but the aircraft they used seems to be aging a bit. The seats are below standard for business class compared to other airliners. The inflight entertainment was also outdated.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by J Arnold

7 August 2007

Economy from Berlin-Tegel to Ulaanbataar and back and Ulaanbataar to Irkutsk. All flights on time. Good service, especially from Berlin to Ulanbataar and back with a modern A 310-300. But even the flight to Irkutsk with an old Antonov An 26 was quite comfortable. Very quick check-in in UB!

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by C Barnes

9 February 2007

I am amazed to hear everyone commenting on flights leaving on time. In four years I have never been on a MIAT flight to or from Mongolia that has left on time. Time delays range from 20 minutes to 20 hours and have tended to lean towards an hour or so. I always allow a good delay for my connecting flights on the other end and more than once I have had to reschedule those flights anyway. Admittedly the service, food and aircraft are improving in recent years, but I still don't count on "on- time" departures.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by Rick Sharp

19 January 2007

Beijing to UB many times on MIAT Mongolian. The flights were, fine food was good and they were on time. The equal to or better than Air China.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by L Nunn

27 October 2006

I recently flew with MIAT from Berlin Tegel (TXL) to Ulaanbaator (ULN) and then the return leg with a transfer in Moscow (SVO). Outbound flight (Thursday) was only a third full so there plenty of room to spread out, however inbound flight (Sunday) was full. Flights were on time, aircraft clean, cabin crew polite, food above average and service good. In-flight magazine was excellent - interesting and informative articles. Landings were very unsteady! Leave plenty of time for check- in though.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by George Sharpe

3 May 2005

There is, from my experience a huge difference between C and Y class on MIAT and believe me, the difference is well worth it, if you enjoy getting truly "Royal" treatment, this is the way to do it. For sure in "Y" class you get treated like cattle in a feedlot.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by J Bliss

24 September 2004

MIAT from Incheon to UB (an return) in mid-September on a weekday. Good service flying a modern and clean 737-400. Departures and Arrivals were on time. I was seated in the economy section. Seating was rather close and the flights were full. I was especially impress with the in flight magazine; very good articles, informative and well written. Good food service. the landing approach to UB was a bit unsteady, not due to weather, rather (I suspect) that a manual approach was flown due to lower quality of ILS. Arrival was late night in clear weather. Runways are quite narrow (wing tips extend over the edges!). None the less, I felt safe with this a/c and crew.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by M Wilson

8 February 2004

MIAT Business Class back in September 2003: Beijing to ULN, then ULN to Narita - Tokyo. While flight options to and from ULN are limited to a handful of airlines, MIAT flys a brand new 737-800 with clean seats, simple but good food, friendly F/As and was on-time.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines - by Paul Rex

24 October 2003

I have not seen any reviews to date for MIAT Mongolian Airlines, who I think provide an excellent connection from Western Europe (Berlin) to Ulaanbaatar. My colleagues and I have used them several times over the past three years - they fly an Airbus 310 twice weekly from TXL to ULN via SVO. Business Class seating is 2-3-2, legroom OK, food and drink good, service very friendly and attentive. We've looked at various flight options and this one gets our preference almost every time