Merpati Air Passenger Reviews and Merpati Air Customer Trip Reports

Add your Merpati Air Review

Merpati Air 2-Star Airline Ranking

Customer Review scoring : Merpati Air
5.5 out of 10  5.5 out of 10

Merpati Air customer review :  4 July 2013 by F Montung (Indonesia)

Denpasar to Jakarta in high season, flight was full, surprisingly check in and boarding process were fast and effective, flight left before schedule, got snack box (bread & mineral water) and 20 kg free check in baggage. Onboard service was ok and FA were attentive. Last but not least ticket price was very reasonable. Definitely will use this airline again.

Merpati Air customer review :  4 July 2013 by Dedy Asdiawan (Indonesia)

Denpasar to Jakarta. Ground staff and flight attendants were very nice. although the plane was old but cabin was clean and comfortable. What surprised me was the cheap ticket and I got a snack box. Recommended for backpackers.

Merpati Air customer review :  28 December 2012 by Lingga Permana (Indonesia)

Surabaya - Jakarta. The flight was on time, the service was nice and the important thing, the toilet is clean. I like to travel more with Merpati.

Merpati Air customer review :  1 May 2012 by F Montung (Indonesia)

DPS-CGK with an old B737 400, cheap ticket, friendly ground staff, smooth check-in. Push back 10 minutes before schedule. Very attentive FA, got snack box contains 3 pieces of bread and cake with tea, coffee and mineral water. Drinks were offered throughout the flight.

Merpati Air customer review :  13 September 2011 by T Lim (Singapore)

Makassar-Sorong. Boarded the old aircraft painted fully white without Merpati logo or name. Did not take off and passengers started to leave the aircraft after 45 mins. No announcement. Waited at boarding gate until an announcement notified flight delay until 13.30. I approached the counter and asked them to transfer me to another airline via MDC, however staff took an extremely long time on purpose and pretended to source for alternative and replied there want any. I asked to view their screen and found a connection that departed 5mins ago. Found out from executive lounge reception at 2pm that flight was cancelled and will depart 10am next day. When questioned, again they said all other airlines were full. Being forceful in such situation is necessary. Eventually I got myself a seat on Sriwijaya 4.30am next morning and made them pay for it. Being a frequent traveller, I find Merpati extremely irresponsible and unreliable.

Merpati Air customer review :  31 July 2011 by Christopher Chua (Singapore)

We were supposed to fly from Bali to Dili. We waited at the airport in Bali before we were officially told that the flight would be cancelled until the next day, staff arranged hotel accommodation. The whole day there was no one from Merpati who came to see us to explain the delay or to even inform us what was happening. We were told we would be on the same flight the following day but when we went to the airport we were told to wait and again there were no Merpati staff around. What was most unacceptable was that at no time did any Merpati staff appear to explain to us about the delay.

Merpati Air customer review :  30 June 2011 by John Wilson (Australia)

We have flown Merpati to and from Lombok about 20 trips in all. By the time you look at scenery and eat your pastry you have arrived. We have had smooth and Bumpy flights but we are still here. Arriving early for a flight is a good idea. Sometimes you can catch an earlier flight instead if they have spare seats.

Merpati Air customer review :  27 April 2010 by A Kumar (Australia)

DPS-TMC Fokker 100 starting to show age however relatively clean. Flights left on time, received a snack box. Would recommend for short trips.

Merpati Air customer review :  21 April 2010 by Peter Fischer (Germany)

Bali-Surabaya. Excellent promo tariff, on-time departure, experienced and age-mixed cabin crew, lunch box, older plane but clean and looked after. All in all, a very satisfying flying experience!

MERPATI AIR review : 9 February 2009 : by R Tielman

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

BDO-SUB. Everything was still paper based and hand written. The flight used B737-200 and the cabin looked very tired and outdated. The flight left on time, and received breakfast in a box. For the amount we paid the journey was an expensive journey, as I believe this is because of lack of competition on the route.

Merpati Air - by Ken Westmoreland
23 April 2008

Merpati's problem is that it still doesn't do online booking or e-ticketing - what century are its managers living in? I have tried to book a ticket through a travel agent in the UK, but been told that it is not a "ticketable" airline. Its website is a complete mess - the online reservation section is still "under construction". Wake up, Merpati - people want the convenience of beng able to book online.

Merpati Air - by Trevor Hollinshead
27 July 2007

My wife and I booked with Merpati for a day trip from Bali to Lombok. The flight was 0930 and return was 1700. A pleasant day in Lombok was planned. On arrival at Denpasar airport we were informed that the 0930 flight would not depart until 1335, which would drastically reduced the impact of sightseeing in Lombok. We decided not to travel and asked for a refund. The airline refused to refund and said we could fly via Java (the opposite direction) with connecting flight that would add at least 90 minutes onto the journey assuming they would depart on time. So we wrote off the money and advise anyone to allow more than a day for a Bali Lombok journey, or use the ferry.

Merpati Air - by Mitch Wilson
3 January 2007

Manado (North Sulewesi) to Kao (North Halmahera) return on a 20 seat CASA 212. Very old, noisy, unpressurized but seemingly reliable aircraft? First flight was on time and smooth although the pilots light up their "cloves" cigarettes after they reach cruising altitude. This wafts thru the whole aircraft as only a curtain separates the cabin from the pilots. The passenger area has "no smoking" signs though! Flight took 1.25 hours and would recommend ear plugs for the drone of the noisy engines. Return journey was not so good. Delayed by almost 3 hours! Again the cloves smokes! Got a box of Indo snacks (not bad) & mineral water on the way over but nothing going back. The difference seemed to be that we had a few government officials and important people on the flight over but not on the return. I would say give another airline a try but no one else flies there! The other alternative is a boat a couple of times a week but it takes about 22 hours!

Merpati Air - by G Coc
5 October 2006

We flew Bali to Lombok (round trip) . On the way to go to Lombok everything was perfect, we even landed 10 mn before the normal time . But on the return, just before boarding (we were waiting for 2 hours in the lounge ) the Tvs displayed the flight cancelled. There was another flight afterwards which has been cancelled too. THey told us that the next flight was the day afterwards at 11:00 am . They put us in a good hotel in Sengiggi which was nice, but I couldn't sleep as I was too anxious whether the flight would be flying or not the following day because we had our flight back to Paris at 3:00 pm! We finally flew the morning after and landed 3 hours before taking off with Cathay to Paris ( ia HKG). People told me afterwards that it's often like that with Merpati - cancelling flights when there are not enough people on the flight. There are 4 flights flying daily between Bali and Lombok but you have to know that there's hardly 1 flying everyday , often 0 at low season. Watch out to take your flight back to Bali at least 2 days before your international flight ! But there are apparently better airlines like Lion air. Frankly I'll never fly again with Merpati - "mal parti" as we say in French !

Merpati Air - by Ian Brooks
5 October 2006

I have flown to Lombok several times with this airline as well as other destinations. While the planes are a bit tatty and you seem to be delayed by 15 minutes every time, who cares when it is a 20 minute flight. The main thing is the amazing value for money which allows you to see all parts of the Indonesia on a modest budget. 2 star looks but 5 star value.

Merpati Air - by Matthias Reisinger
21 December 2005

Maumere (Flores) - Denpasar (Bali). Check-in at the provincial airport was without computer assistance but rather efficient. The personel also told us about a delay. In lack of monitors we kept asking them frequently as the delay was getting close to 2 hours. Anyway the plane arrived well before dark and we could leave Flores on the same evening. Service was okay and the airpane (a Fokker 26) appeared to be in good shape. The flight was smooth although we have passed several thunderstorms on our way. Baggage handling was satisfactory and to sum it up: it is not the airline with the best service and punctuality reputation but I would fly with them again.

Merpati Air - by Josh Newmark
29 August 2005

I flew Merpati from Bali to Lombok. The plane was delayed for fifteen minutes and nobody on the ground spoke a word of English. The plane wasn’t ancient but not exactly new either. A friendly welcome on board. 5 minutes into the flight a banana roll and juice were served. Both were fairly good. Safety procedures were thorough. The seats were a little cramped. I would travel Merpati again but not for international flights.

Merpati Air - by George Barker

21 March 2005

I have flown lots of different airline companies around asia, and I can say that Merpati have always been very efficient and punctual. The staff are friendly and the food pretty good in business class (but terrible in economy class). Leg room in economy class is also very cramped if you are a westerner.

Merpati Air - by T Szee

15 November 2004

Sorry but Mr Ljunberg, you are missing Mr Kavanaugh's point completely. He is saying about the very long delay, and upon landing and missing his connection received no assistance and treated badly. You are talking about the flight journey only. I think you should consider yourself lucky your flight was on time. I wonder how you would react if the delay happened to you.

Merpati Air - by Jens Ljungberg

5 January 2004

Sorry to disagree Mr. Kavanaugh. I flew Jakarta to Denpasar with Merpati and found the service good. The airline is clean, restrooms too, inflight catering was OK, disadvantage is the IFE but its only a 1,5hr flight. The FA's were nice and very friendly, typical Indonesian hospitality. I will fly Merpati again as its a good airline company!

Merpati Air - by Kevin Kavanaugh

4 August 2003

I flew from Dili to Bali. the flight was six and a half hours late out of Dili - no reason was given - the plane was truly showing its age. Upon arrival I missed my connection due to the delay - the staff refused to provide accommodation or assistance in helping to arrange new flight. the staff was very very unfriendly - I have never been treated like this in all my years of travel all over the world - truly a new low. Please for your own safety - take another airline.

Merpati Air - by B Hooley

15 July 2003

I flew Lombok to Bali on Merpati Air. I brought an online ticket and this caused much problems. I spent at least 30 mins trying to get my ticket from the ticket officer as they didn't believe I paid for the flight! Anyway they eventually gave me my ticket and checked my luggage in. I boarded the plane and it was showing its age. My window was so scratched i couldn't see out of it properly, the tray in front of my seat was broken and didn't fix up properly. The staff were friendly and pleasant and gave us a box with a drink and snacks in it even though it was a very short flight about 30mins.

Merpati Air - by Robert Thomas

16 June 2002

I was expecting the worst when flying with them but am still alive to tell the world they are not as bad as their reputation! The planes on my four flights were old Fokker 28's - and were showing their age. Everything on these flights goes on as hand luggage and the overhead lockers were full to bursting. In days past, it was said you were lucky to depart on the correct day - never mind the same time, but things must have changed. All four flights which made up our round trip from Bali to Semarang and back all departed and arrived on time with the minimum of fuss. Connections both on the outbound and inbound flights were pretty seamless and professional. The flights themselves were good fun - I didn't feel in any danger (it was just on the turns to landing it was like the pilot was having a few stabs at lining up). Straight after take off, a box with a snack and drink was served - not to my liking, but that is not to say there was anything wrong with it. Indeed most passengers seemed to enjoy it. The flight attendants appeared to be enjoying their work - although forty minute flights all day can't be a lot of fun. Like Garuda they are a credit to their country.