Malaysia Airlines Customer Reviews and Malaysia Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Arvin    (USA)

KUL-CDG. A380 was good and flight was filled to the brim. I'm not a big fan of the hard seats but it wasn't hard to get a good night sleep. One of the 2 stewardess weren't very attentive and could have done better while the other one was fantastic. Food is great as usual and they offered drinks on several rounds. Check In is done via a kiosk now, so things are faster.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Bazlee Matzain    (Australia)

Flew FRA-MNL-FRA. First leg delayed (3 hrs) because they had to change an tyre. The seats are a bit hard and overused on the 777 but I choose them because of the 34 inch seats and legroom. The food was ok and the cabin crew very professional. Flight to and from MNL was in a new 737/800 and everything was ok. Flight back to FRA was on time, food and crew ok. It is now the 5th consecutive year that I have taken MAS. In future I will still choose MAS because of their service, legroom, good prices and the short stop in KUL.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Pandu Waskito    (Indonesia)

Flew CGK-KUL-CGK on MH710 and MH727 with their brand new B738. both flight departed and arrived on time. Flight service was great with courteous flight attendants and comfortable cabin. However, they seem to cut expenses by offering much smaller inflight meals but still okay for the 2-hour flight. The main highlight of the trip was check in facility in KLIA Express station at KL Central which is really efficient and convenient. I paid MYR 35 for 30-minutes train to KLIA and was able to check in and check my baggage there at the station. Overall, a pleasant experience.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by D Anwar    (Malaysia)

KUL-CDG-KUL seated on A380 upper deck for both legs. Both flights left on time. Service provided by FAs and ground staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous. Never heard a rude word uttered or given any dirty looks as commented by some of the other reviewers. IFE was adequate and contained ample media to listen/read/watch. Late supper and breakfast were served hot on both flights and were quite tasty. Snack boxes were handed out mid flight with FAs serving drinks nearly every hour throughout the flight. Snacks and drinks were also readily available for selection in the rear galley area. On to the minor negative comments. Though there was plenty of legroom, our seats were very stiff and hard on this 388. Hard to sleep on for long haul flights, if you're even able to sleep at all. My previous flights on the MH 772s and 744s had much comfy-er seats than this plane. The seat back pockets and also additional window seat storage had food crumbs and dried "goo" and needed a good vacuum and wipe.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Ali McLeod    (Australia)

Just flown MEL-KUL-CDG in business class. 777 on first leg to KL then A380 to CDG and back then A330 from KL to Mel. 777 is spacious. Business class was pretty busy but economy was so quiet - this leg was a week after MH17. A380 is superb - I was in the front section on the upper deck both ways and it was so quiet. A330 is cramped and uncomfortable to sleep. IFE not the best and I am glad I flew in different months as the movies weren't the best. Food was pretty average but service was, as always, really good. That's always been the standout feature of Malaysian and in the face of everything that has happened their staff are still the most helpful in the skies.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Jack Spencer    (New Zealand)

I flew from Auckland to Kuala Lumpur then to Paris. All nice flights saved up for business class which was nice too. The staff were good. Food and entertainment were good. The seat was excellent. All in all a good flight.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Tarafino Pasquale    (Luxembourg)

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Zielinski    (Thailand)

MH 795, Aug 4th, HKT-KUL, 25F, MH 135, Aug 5th, KUL-BNE, 37F, MH 134, Aug 6th, BNE-KUL, 37F, MH 786, Aug 7th, KUL- HKT, 11A. Positives: Good IFE. Expected on long-haul, above par for regional flights. B738 and A333 both less than 2y old. On-time dep and arr. Food for Economy ok. Price USD 350 less than SIA and even better than most LCC. Good value for money. Negatives: KUL-BNE flight freezing cold cabin. Apprx 70% of passengers were shivering, wearing blankets and jackets. Asked to pls increase temperature. Nothing happened. One particular staff member argumentative, patronizing and confrontational. Took forever to get to speak to Cabin Manager but once he intervened, issue was sorted out amicably. Nevertheless caught a cold since this was 4hrs after initially addressing the issue. On MH 135, AirShow not working, window shades pulled down and no announcements made from cockpit. In light of recent events I find it rather insensitive of MAS not to understand the need to keep passengers informed. Upon request the clearly annoyed First Officer announced we were just passing Alice Springs. Cockpit crew really should communicate more with the cabin, especially if AirShow is INOP.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Robert Jan van Pelt    (Malaysia)

Flight from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur. Unfortunately we experienced a delay while already in the plane because of high traffic at HK airport. The FA's immediately started distributing drinks and peanuts. The flight overall was a pleasant one with friendly and pro-active service and good food. I'm not a big fan of the 737-800, though. The older 777's that they also operate on this route are, in my view, much more comfortable.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Sze-Ker Chew    (Malaysia)

KUL-TPE-KUL, outbound on 1st Aug 2014 and inbound on 5 Aug 2014. B737-800 were being used for both sectors, seat pitch was OK, IFE was excellent, food and beverages were great and the crew members were attentive and serve to perfection. Thumbs up for MAS!

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by W Green    (New Zealand)

We all know this airline has had unfortunate problems, however this does not excuse the tardy service, well was it even service, on two sectors London to Kuala Lumpur and Kuala Lumpur to Auckland in July. For a 5 star airline both my wife and I were very disappointed. We flew the day after the Ukraine disaster, the cabin crew on both legs looked for want of a better word 'tired'. We were served very quickly on the London - KL leg, the cabin shut down and then left to our own devices. There was not a crew member to be found a couple of times that I wandered back to the galley. In fact there was not even any water or juice left out for us to help ourselves to nor was there, as with Cathay on our trip over a cabin attendant roughly every hour bringing water, juice and snacks around. The same happened on the KL Auckland flight. I also found the inflight entertainment disappointing especially on the second leg where the screen was not performing well nor would either my wife's or my hand piece retract into the seat arm. If this is 5 star service then it must only be in the front of the aircraft, or did we have an unfortunate couple of flights? I hope the latter!

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Indranil Chakrabarty    (Australia)

MH is superb in the skies and lousy on the ground. SYD-KL-DEL. Excellent FAs and service. Planes neat and tidy. On the ground its a sad story. City offices in Delhi and Sydney seem to consider customers an unwelcome sight and an insufferable burden. Phone calls go unanswered and the ticketing agent in Sydney had a zonked look on her face and hustled me along. There are others waiting. Rude reservations staff in Sydney. in Delhi the doorman answered the phone after a good 2 minute wait to tell me everyone was out at lunch, and I should call later. The call made later were never answered. The next day an over enthusiastic officer who seemed to have been high on something returned my call and was raring to go. I will definitely fly MH and ask my friends to support the airline in these trying times, but MH need to get their act together landside.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Tapani Utunen    (Finland)

Several regional sectors SIN-KUL-DPS-KUL-SIN, KUL-SGN-KUL in Economy as well as KUL-BKK in Business July 2014 on their 737 and 777. All flights full, all flights on time and all flights from pleasant to excellent. MH offered two choices of hot meals with beverages on all flights (more options in Business), the food always tasty, their cabin service good to excellent and the aircraft in good condition. The 777's are clearly showing their age with dated IFE, but the 34-inch seat pitch is wonderful compared to the cramped 737's. Moreover, the generous 30 kg baggage allowance was one good reason for booking MH long haul as well as regional flights. Great value and good service all the way - will surely book MH in the future as well.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by James McIlwraith    (UK)

Flew 787-800 - Colombo to Kuala Lumpur - Return. Good airline with courteous staff. Flight was fine. I found the seats to be surprisingly uncomfortable which is unusual as I am normally happy sitting anywhere. Not a massive problem though as I dropped off to sleep anyway. The 787-800 is a great little aircraft so no problems there. MAS use it regularly around Asia on short haul flights. Great little workhorse. Would I say they were 5 star? Based on just on this trip no, however I would need to fly long haul to have a better opinion. I would recommend them and would fly again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Brian Rockell    (UK)

Flew LHR to KUL and on to BKK. LHR leg on MH3. A wonderful flight on spacious A380 upper deck, forward section, plenty of open space around seats, rather than pod like structures. Toilet was the only airline toilet I can comfortably fit in. Staff attentive and Captain announced there were 2 flight crews. Flight fully booked, and they were offering economy passengers €600 to travel on the later flight that day, interconnects taken care of, and a day hotel too. A great bargain. The check in desk told me the flight is always full. Lounge not wonderful though. Food just ok but cramped when carrying hand baggage and seats that do not move. Poor uk newspaper selection and none on the plane. Aircraft certainly recommended. Food on flight and wines really good. The entertainment system had a great screen but quirky interface. If you want in flight info, you have to use a mouse cursor, hard to see and imprecise whereas all other screens do not. The movies were not as up to date as some airlines but certainly plenty of choice and adequate. My wife's screen hung a couple of times but later reverted to where it left off. The staff were superb. Change at KUL was a shuttle train away and somewhat complex with plenty of walking and having been given no information on the plane, you were left to your own devices looking for info screens, the first a distance from getting off and with only an hour between flights, the luggage did not make it to BKK. An hour was a bare minimum gap between flights for me, let alone my luggage. There were no complications such as going through security, beyond a hand baggage X-ray at the gate. I guess unloading a plane the size of an A380 takes longer and priority luggage seemed not to help its passage. However, a Thai air rep approached us as at the baggage carousel in BKK so we did not have to wait until the last bag came off. We were told the luggage would follow 4 hours later and it was efficiently delivered to our hotel that evening, fully wrapped and sealed. The hotel knew the process so presumably commonplace. By comparison the leg to BKK felt dated and so small and we had another breakfast. This time the toilet was so small, I did not even attempt it. All in all, despite the snags detailed, I recommend Malaysia and especially the A380. It is very quiet, spacious and felt new (which of course it is).

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Debra Donald    (Australia)

Flew BNE-KL-BOM. A330 from BNE-KL - fairly empty flight. Staff were a little older, very pleasant. So much food. Seats were comfortable enough. It was a late PM flight so I was keen to sleep. I couldn't get comfortable on the lie flat bed - I felt like I was slipping down. I managed a few hours and then got woken up for a really early breakfast (again, lots of food). Plane was new and fresh. It was an old plane between KL/Mumbai - and delayed due to an electronics issue. It was like a domestic business seat. Not much space! From Mumbai - KL it was a 777-200 - much better with much more space! KL-BNE was A330 again. Pretty much the same experience except it was a daytime flight so ZERO chance of any sleep. Again, food was good and abundant. Won't fly them again, despite my good experience. I was pretty uptight on the flight home - watching us move past all the volcanic ash by flying right down the west coast of Australia (safety first).

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Lim Carolina    (Indonesia)

Jakarta-KL-Guangzhou on 22/07/2014 went smoothly. Cabin, food, and staff were good, average. On the way back we flew from Hong Kong to KL, morning flight at 8.45am. It was on time. Entered the cabin and was met by a very sullen, tired, and bored looking stewardess. Cabin looked filthy. Pillows were scattered on my seat and on the floor. Table had some sort of dried stain. The seat cover in front of us was dirty. Nothing babywipes couldn't wipe clean, so why didn't whoever was in charge of cleaning the cabin do so? A child tried to go to toilet while a stewardess was distributing food. Blocked by her cart, the boy waited for her to move. Immediately she barked, "Where do you want to go?" The boy looked surprised and pointed at the toilet behind her. She then moved the cart to the side a bit with a terribly bored look on her face and signed for the boy to squeeze through. Not even a smile, or the kindness and patience expected from FA. From KL we flew connecting flight to Jakarta. Aircraft looked old and tired. No IFE at all. We had IFE on the flight from Jakarta to KL two weeks before, but not today. It was a 1 hour and 45 mins flight, with nothing to do but eat and sleep. Needless to say, in the future, I will try my best to avoid this airline. The cheaper price doesn't justify their bad attitude.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by D Speer    (Singapore)

Flown from Singapore to Frankfurt with stop over in KL on July 20th. The flight was the most uncomfortable I have had for a long haul flight. The crews were not the happiest, the plane was old with the smallest screen I have seen with a small selection of movies. The seat was uncomfortable, run down toilets and dirty. I don't think I will fly MH again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by M H Lee    (Malaysia)

KUL-ICN-KUL, A330, economy. Overall, satisfied. Most of the crews were helpful and professional yet it seems like some crews need further improvement. In flight meals were quite good on both flights. IFE system was better than I expected. There was a wide range of music and movies. Comfortable seat with decent leg room for medium-haul flight.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Dulcie Lehtonen    (Australia)

3/7/2014,MH 134. 4/7/2014, MH 072. 14/7/2014, MH 433. 15/7/2014, MH 135. The food on the flight from Brisbane to KL was very disappointing, also the drink selection was very limited on all legs of our trip to Hong Kong. Overall the experience was fair.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by H Jayasinghe    (Australia)

Let me say that passengers who don't have infants and toddlers should not have these problems. We (my wife, my 2yr old son, and my 6 month old daughter) travelled to Asia from Australia. Everything went fairly well on our way from Australia to Malaysia. We were allowed 3 pieces of hand luggage and 4 pieces of main luggage. Almost all of our hand luggage was full of essential items. When we land in Malaysia for the transit and are about to board the connecting flight we were told that we cannot take 3 pieces of hand luggage onboard as its a smaller flight. We had paid for 3 seats and a bassinet. However after arguing with the ground staff for 10 minutes, they still would not let us take the last hand luggage in with us. When we got onboard, the flight wasn't full. To add to the misery, they had allocated seats for us in completely different places, leaving my 2 year old by himself, my wife in a completely different section by herself, and me with my 6 month old in another section! When I complained to the on-board crew, they said that they were unable to help, and that I'd have to speak to the passengers of the area where I wished to be seated, and swap seats with them. Our return flight wasn't the best either. No bassinet for the complete journey, although we had fully paid and confirmed a month ahead of our journey. The excuse was that there were 9 infants on board and only 5 bassinets. My poor wife had to hold our 6 month old for over 12 hours in a cramped seat! At one point, my 2 year old was getting unsettled, so I asked one of the stewardesses if they have any toys or kids activity books to keep my son occupied/entertained. She disappeared for about 15 minutes and came back with 4 packets of peanuts! Never again will I fly Malaysia Airlines.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J Hock    (UK)

Flew with MAS from LHR to SYD and back. First on A380 which was cosy, then on B747 which was old and dated. Seats were uncomfortable and staff were really rude. Nothing compared to SQ. Food was woeful and not enough cabin staff to serve. Won't fly with them again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Hang Zhang    (Australia)

Perth - Kuala Lumpur - Beijong return, June 28, flew back July 12. Last minute upgrades to business class (Maximum 2 hours before flight, you can book for most flights if they have seats), at a 66% discount was well worth the money. My champagne glass was never empty, Head stewardess personally greeted me by name at the start of the flight, and thanked me for flying with Malaysia Airlines just before landing. Was asked whether I wanted to be woken for breakfast which I appreciated. Meals and entertainment was first Class. Could not sleep well on the angled flat seats but others slept fine. 22 hour layover in KL on way out, and 8 hours on way in. Airport Hotel for both layovers were given without having to ask.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by A Gautam    (Nepal)

KTM-KUL-MNL return. The cost cutting is evident and so is the total lack of service from the FA's. The 737-800 operated in all the sectors were fine so was the IFE. As soon as the sub standard meals were served the lights dimmed and the crew disappeared happy to chat and laugh out loud amongst themselves. For a 4 hrs 30 mins flight after the first hour I did not notice any crew before the captain announced it was time for touchdown. This appalling service is simply not acceptable.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by J Yong    (Australia)

Flew SYD-KUL-SYD. We have flown MH a few times over the years. Sadly service levels have declined. The disposable covers on the pillows looked like they haven't been changed in months. They are meant to be white but were actually yellow. My daughters tray was dirty and all staff could say was 'that's not our issue, that's a cleaning issue so just complain when you get there'! Food was very average on both flights and much less food served than normal. My kids were very hungry. I do not recommend ordering children's meals. IFE was OK but could improve. Faulty headphones both flights. Seat did not recline on SYD/KUL flight. There were less cabin crew than usual and they were not very attentive. Definitely not on par with SQ or CX anymore. Only good thing were the seats which made for a comfortable flight.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by P Moran    (Lao PDR)

BKK (Bangkok)2 to SYD (Sydney) via KUL (Kuala Lumpur). Travelled on a whim as the flights were so cheap. Used to travel on MH a lot, 20 years ago and they used to be excellent. BKK to KUL on 737 had surly staff, a tiny croissant and no coffee. IFE guide featured latest Hollywood releases, but the system only had Bollywood movies. Seat was OK. Flight on time. KUL to SYD on A330 was only 30% capacity, yet the service was still very slow and not very friendly. No drink rounds were offered. Food was reasonable, but on the small side. Seat had plenty of room and many customers had 4 seats to lie on. SYD to KUL, 100% full, A330. Service was as good as the earlier virtually empty flight. Staff looked harried, as if they had to meet a deadline, yet they were so slow, One flight attendant looked as if she were about to cry. Food again reasonable. KUL to BKK on 737. Faster service and friendly staff. With very good fares and a 30kg baggage allowance, I will fly MH again, But they fall short on this run compared to Qantas or Emirates.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Gavin Ong    (Singapore)

SIN-KUL-NARITA (MH 610, MH 88). NARITA-KUL-SIN (MH 89, MH 607). I travelled solo for this return trip on 16 July and 26 July. Boarding was organized and smooth. Throughout my flights, the cabin maintained cool conditions, smelt great and it also helped that the seats were comfortable which allowed me to catch needful sleep, especially on my red-eye flight in MH 88. I must commend the cabin crew on my flights as they were nothing less than professional and friendly, ensuring I got what I wanted, although I noticed that one had to ask for beverages and they don't do rounds along the aisle to check on passengers during off-service times. The food wasn't the best I have tasted inflight but that was fine with me - had the Nasi Lemak on MH 88 and seafood pasta on MH 89. I wouldn't hesitate to travel on Malaysia Airlines again!

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by Sarah King    (UK)

LHR-KUL-Bali and return. Part on A380. My husband and I fly long haul regularly with close family living in Australia. This is the first time we have flown Malaysian and sadly will be the last. I was led to believe they were a good quality airline, however the only positive I can say is the comfort of the seat with the fact they have a 34" pitch. Everything else was either satisfactory or poor. The food compared to other airlines was awful and the service wasn't much better. There didn't appear to be enough cabin crew to do what they needed, so when I dared to ask for another blanket because I'd spilt water on mine the stewardess was extremely rude to me stating she was too busy and I'd have to wait. When she did bring over she threw it at me and walked off! I don't expect to be treated like that when I had been nothing other than polite. It wasn't as if we had used the call button for anything else.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by M Fewster    (Australia)

KL to Chennai. Paris Malaysia air staff had effectively through booked us from KL to Chennai. Very smooth transit and luggage transferred for us. KL to Chennai and return economy class. Very efficient service. Food average. Just OK. IFE didn't work on return trip. Happy enough with flight at the price.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by J Tydeman    (UK)

Flew Malaysian back from Bali to KL and then KL to London. Both flights good. Ground crew friendly. Food very good and air crew excellent apart from one rather surly chap who obviously thought my asking for my mid flight snack was a huge inconvenience for him! Both flights choc full despite all of the recent events. Seats terribly uncomfortable on the A380 and IFE too limited for an airline of this standard.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  26 July 2014 by D Loganathan    (Australia)

I flew them in June. Unfortunately my travel experience was really bad. I say this mostly as the staff were unfriendly, unapproachable and disdainful. The food/entertainment/seat etc were all pretty standard although I thought it might be better than average. The rudeness of the flight attendants was sadly on each of the 4 flights I took - Melbourne-KL-Manila and return. I asked for water and eyes were rolled, I told them about the headphones not working and the lady argued with me. All staff appeared tired, flustered and not happy to be there.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C Ellis    (Australia)

PER-KUL-AMS. Another great flight on Malaysian. Service great, food good, so glad they now give you mattresses for a better sleep. Only complaint - the IFE needs to be improved but who really remembers what they have watched.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Scholfield    (UK)

KUL-DPS, 737. DPS-KUL, 777. Very odd seat layout on the 777, 2x5x2 which I've never seen before. Sandwiches looked revolting both ways, didn't even unwrap them. Rudest stewardesses I've ever seen, surly, abrupt and when the people opposite me requested blankets they were practically thrown at them. I can only assume their long haul product is in a different league.