PAGE loading ... please wait!

Kulula Passenger Reviews and Kulula Customer Trip Reports

No Star Ranking Awarded

Add your Kulula Review

No Kulula Star Ranking

Kulula
5.4 out of 10  5.4 out of 10

Kulula customer review :  9 April 2014 by Nazreena Khota   (South Africa)

I was booked for a flight at 18.10 on 1/4/2014 giving me sufficient time to be in time for my nieces wedding at 8.00. My flight was delayed 3 times and finally only left ORT at 8.40, needless to say I missed the wedding. Kulula did nothing to compensate us for the inconvenience we suffered. I will never fly with them again.

Kulula customer review :  21 March 2014 by J Ries   (Australia)

Through entirely my own fault, I arrived at the check-in desk 20 minutes before take off, which was clearly too late to drop off my luggage and board. I was expecting to buy entirely new tickets, but instead they only charged me R35 to go on the next plane, 50 minutes later! Service was excellent on the plane too, and we actually arrived 10 minutes early at my destination. Won't hesitate to fly them again!

Kulula customer review :  21 January 2014 by Ridwaan Davids   (South Africa)

We travelled with Kulula as our local flight to ORT for our onward international flight. Flight was on time and the plane was full and a bit stuffy. At the time that we booked the prices were quite expensive. Flight was ok.

Kulula customer review :  9 August 2013 by D Stebeleski   (Uganda)

Just flew Cape Town to Durban and was impressed. When I arrived the computer system was down and was told to return an hour later as they were dealing with the earlier Johannesburg check in manually. When I returned the computers were back and we had usual check in. All staff friendly, plane only 20 mins late, 20kg or free checked luggage, plane clean and new, luggage out right after arrival only gripe was limited seat space, I'm 183cm so its a usual problem. For the price I am happy and would fly them again.

Kulula customer review :  11 January 2013 by A Learmont   (Switzerland)

Cape Town to Johannesburg Lanseria on 03 Jan 2013. Flight was supposed to leave at 15.50. Received an SMS that the flight had been delayed to 18.00, then further delayed to 20.00. When I arrived at the airport to check in, told that the flight was delayed until 00.45. No information coming out of the Kulula desk other than mixed reports. The only compensation we received was a meal voucher. Flight further delayed until 01.30 in the morning. The Kulula desk took our details and assured us there would be a taxi at the other end. When we arrived at Lanseria airport - no taxis in sight. When the 'shuttle' arrived, it was a lone taxi driver. At no point did we receive any apology or plausible explanation. On top of that, the 'quirky' in-flight announcements were not funny (not at 01.30 in the morning). I will never recommend this airline again.

Kulula customer review :  24 September 2012 by Merle Smith   (South Africa)

I had the misfortune of flying on this airline on 31st Aug from Durban to Joburg, where I was catching an International flight. As usual, Kulula were running late, half an hour in this case, with no explanations, and no apologies. I had half an hour when we landed to get my case and run to the international side to book in! Now I have to fly back with them on my return ticket on Monday. I have flown with them before and 9 out of 10 times, they are late. Never again will I fly with them!

Kulula customer review :  16 March 2012 by Lynette Wright   (South Africa)

I took two elderly ladies, one of 80 to Cape Town Airport flying to Lanseria. They had two suitcases and two bags. Firstly told they were only allowed one piece of luggage each and were expected to pay R350 for the other 2 bags. I asked if there was assistance or a shuttle to the plane and was told no. They were not assisted with lifting heavy suitcases and had to walk with these heavy bags. Half way to the departure lounge the one lady was unable to walk any further and had to order a wheelchair which she waited ages for. Their seats were changed, they were assisted, both of them now in wheelchairs. I was disappointed in the lack of care and compassion shown by staff.

Kulula customer review :  11 October 2011 by Peter Blakemore   (UK)

Flew Jo'burg to George with Riviera Travel Tour Group. A typical no frills Airline but Staff were attentive and provided an amusing commentary during the flight which everyone seemed to enjoy.

Kulula customer review :  2 September 2011 by A Langenhoven   (South Africa)

Cape Town to PE, my first time flying with my 11 month old baby. I requested a porter to help push the trolley. At check-in I was not asked if I needed a porter, I did not know that I had to ask. When I boarded the plane they gave me a window seat next to 2 other passengers. Fortunately the flight attendant offered me a seat for myself and my baby alone.

Kulula customer review :  2 March 2011 by Adam Miller   (Australia)

JNB-DUR. Easy check in, friendly staff. Flight left on time and landed early in Durban. Very good value for money .Domestic travel within South Africa has become efficient and very competitive.

Kulula customer review :  9 January 2011 by Irene Hockley   (Australia)

Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth return. Plane was on time, staff was fantastic and my granddaughter had a fantastic time as well. Returning to JNB check in at Port Elizabeth airport was a bit hectic but the flying experience was spotless! Made a short Port Elizabeth vacation exceptional.

Kulula customer review :  31 July 2010 by Yuda Chou   (Germany)

DUR-JNB on Kulula during World Cup. Kulula give you assigned seat numbers. Ground staff and FAs very friendly with their notorious humorous announcements. 737-700 quite new and clean. Flight on time, food and drinks for extra charge, not too expensive though. During our online booking we had already added extra kilos to our baggage allowance, so no hassle with the weight of our luggage at the airport.

Kulula customer review : 16 July 2010 by G Nishihira

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

DUR-JNB Flight initially posted with a 20 minute delay. This kept being updated as the departure was further delayed. Uneasy with the increasing delay - 50 minutes total, but I'll give them credit for constantly keeping pax informed. Being that this was during the World Cup I can accept a 50 minute delay. Fare was most reasonable and no problem with checked bag. Would fly them again.

Kulula customer review : 9 December 2009 by Michael Preston

2 Star Rating

GRJ-JNB. 18 hours before departure I received a text advising that the flight scheduled for the next morning at 10.40 was delayed until 14.30. As this was going to inconvenience me I tried calling them to see if I could reschedule. This is where I saw how abysmal Kulula after sales service is. After listening to 25 minutes of inane drivel (at R2.40 a minute) telling me how wonderful their service is and how all their agents were just waiting to pick up the phone and help me, I gave up. Later I contacted the office at George Airport where the response was unhelpful, and I was offered a refund. The alternative SAA flight would have at that point cost me R800 more. I wish I had booked SAA from the beginning but foolishly thought it was worth saving some money. That said, I understand that flights can be delayed, I was notified in advance, and when I checked in I was given a R250 voucher to use on a future Kulula booking, and the service and flight were satisfactory. I don't like the Kulula 'jokey' approach and the 'funny' announcements - most of the FA's simply can't pull it off and it's just irritating.

KULULA review : 18 September 2009 : by Terry Stokes

Customer Rating : 5/5

Booked on a flight from CPT to5 Star Rating JNB. At check in I was told my flight had been delayed by 2 hours. Without asking they changed me to a British Airways flight at no extra cost. Even though I did not get to fly with them, I'm more than happy to book with them in the future given their excellent customer service.

KULULA review : 21 June 2009 : by Gregory Epps

Customer Rating : 5/5

5 Star Rating

Flew from Lanseria 10 minutes from home, simple check-in in under 30 seconds, flights on time, entertaining crew, overall a pleasant experience. I could not fault Kulula or the airport.

KULULA review : 15 June 2009 : by A Coppola

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

I was delayed 26 hours on a Lanseria (HLA) to Durban flight on 11 June. Departure was initially 17:30. We were first told that we were delayed for 3 hours. Then we were told we were leaving at 23:30. At 23:00 they told us the flight was cancelled. Put up in some lodge and told they would fly us out the next day at 14:40 on a specially chartered plane. This never materialised. I was lied to the following day regarding departure times and the mystery charter plane. Eventually told we were on a 16:20 flight. At 16:00 they told us it was delayed to 18:20! Finally my nightmare ended at 20:00 on 12 June when we finally touched down in Durban. Throughout the ordeal, the staff were unsympathetic and we were made to feel that the problem was ours.

KULULA review : 23 February 2009 : by Claus Kuhl

2 Star Rating

I flew Cape Town to Lanseria yesterday to be told "we are sorry your flight has been delayed" If this would happen once it would be acceptable but it seems to be almost every time. We plan our meetings, pick ups to the times given to us by Kulula , why not change the times to allow for all the problems you seem to have. When we got on the flight we were told that they have a problem with the catering company and to sort this out, the plane would leave even later, so we rather go without. Next the flight attendant informs us that we cannot use our credit or debit cards as they have a problem. Further more the Kulula comic was not available.

KULULA review : 22 August 2008 : by Rob Abington

2 Star Rating

Having recommended the airline in the previous review, beware bumping. We turned up with our 16 month old and were told that we had been moved to the next flight 4 hours later. They said we had been sent an email the day before (to my work address) - difficult to look at when we are holiday! Eventually they put us on the flight after we explained we had connecting flights to London. They also wouldn't book luggage through to London. My advice would be to fly with BA or SAA if you have connections to outside of SA and only use Kulula if you have time to spare or no connections - I'm not sure the price is worth the stress. Having said all of this, the onboard crew and flight were fine and ontime.

KULULA review : 15 August 2008 : by Rob Abington

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

JNB to Durban. On time and crew were great - loved the comedy in the announcements. Aircraft clean and not too tired. Recommend them to anyone looking for well priced flights in South Africa.

KULULA review : 25 June 2008 : by Ginny Urbaniak

2 Star Rating

We flew to OT on Kulula last week from Cape Town. The initial flight I booked was cancelled by cell phone, and we were placed on the next flight with no apology and great inconvenience to ourselves. On our return flight we were bumped at the last moment having arrived 2 hours early-then told they could actually fit us in? The flight by then was running at least 3/4 an hour late. The couple ahead of us had been bumped twice that day.

KULULA review : 11 May 2008 : by Edwin Engelbrecht

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

LHR-HEJNB-CPT and the flight was delayed - no explanation given. Return to JNB again flight delayed - operational problems as an excuse given. The only "operational problems" I saw in CPT was at 05.30 waiting to book in for the 07.00 flight - only two operators on duty, when another two finally came on duty, a meeting was called by someone I assume to be the supervisor. Surely this can be done before they go on duty? No apologies given just "next" if you were lucky, others got a nod of the head! A case of couldn't care less for customers.

Kulula - by D Campbell

31 January 2008   Customer Trip Rating : 1 Star Rating

Probably the most awful flying experience I have ever had. Complete chaos at check in and ended up being bumped off flight, we were promised compensation but no one could tell us who was to provide this compensation. The 6 hour delay at JNB International with 3 children under 4 was an experience I could have done without. The hostesses were, I am sure, quite funny but at that stage I was in no mood to laugh and found their flippancy annoying and somehow insulting considering the 8 tortuous hours we had just spent because of that airline. Still waiting for their "feedback department" to get back to me 2 months later. My advice is to arrive really early because when it goes wrong its not all fun and games.

Kulula - by Liz Edwards

27 December 2007   Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

We flew from Lanseria to Durban yesterday 26 December. Flight was 2 hours late, we were told once we boarded because one of the escape chutes had expired and a new one had to be fitted! Lanseria is the best way to fly to Durban the extra cost is well worth not having to go via OR Tambo. We were given vouchers to make up for the inconvenience of the delay - a nice touch. Lanseria ran out of food so Kulula organised sandwiches at the airport. One complaint the snacks are very expensive - R9.00 for a 200ml can of Coke! Surely after a delay that long the drinks should be free on the flight?

Kulula - by Giannis Liberopoulos

13 May 2007   Customer Trip Rating : n/a

Cape Town to Johannesburg. Very cheap ticket, was actually waiting for a bad experience as I don't particularly trust the low cost carriers. What a surprise to experience the opposite! BA check in staff polite and cheerful. Flight on a MD-80 departed on time. Cabin interior funny with that light green and blue colors! Cabin crew fantastic!!! Great sense of humor and extremely helpful. While selling food, they were out of the vegetarian sandwich, so they offered me free snacks and one cabin crew staff gave me her own vegetarian meal! I felt so well treated! Big carriers should learn something from Kulula!

Kulula - by Juerg Grossenbacher

22 November 2006   Customer Trip Rating : n/a

It was really a new experience flying Kulula. Our flights from DUR-PLZ and from CPT to JNB were absolutely perfect for a so called low-price carrier. Friendly and nice staff and safe and clean aircraft. (B732 and MD 80). Check-in was fast and correct and the flights were relaxing and full of good sense of humor. Back in SA, we would fly Kulula again and again. Best choice!

Kulula - by Mark Tufts

24 September 2006

Durban to Cape Town. Checked in 2 hours before the flight and was told that there were no window seats left. Had to settle for the aisle. The flight was OK, but I kept getting bumped by the drinks trolley. Seats were an ugly green and very tatty on this MD 80 aircraft. On the return I was early so decided to check in. I was told I was too early and I should come back 2 hours before check-in. Sorry, if that is your policy, you have lost a customer. I promptly left your check-in and checked in with a competitor and could check-in early. Incidentally, Kulula prices are no longer that competitive and I find better prices elsewhere.

Kulula - by Simon Crockford

11 September 2006

Great airline with its excellent prices and cabin crew very professional but still had a sense of humour and pride in the service offered. Good to feel a valued customer again and not just a number. Both flights on very clean MD80's on time and comfortable

Kulula - by Barry Carlino

10 June 2006

JNB-CPT return for less than ZAR1,000. Both flights were on time, the cabin crew were friendly and helpful. Check-in was efficient and at JNB they had a separate line for passengers with hand luggage only. The only point of complaint is the choice of colours for the seats. Lime green and blue is not a happy combination in my opinion.

Kulula - by Sascha Krone

15 March 2006

On our honeymoon to SA, we flew Kulula from Durban to Cape Town. Friendly and very helpful BA-staff in Durban, asking if I'd like to have an exit seat, being 6'7ft, this is usually the seat I am sitting in. It takes a while to get used to the bright green interior and the green shirts and blue jeans of the cabin crew, but service was friendly, sandwiches were tasty and prices for the snacks were moderate. Flight took almost two hours and crew offered trolley services twice. Baggage was delivered within five minutes after arrival in CPT. I would choose that "cool" airline again next time, it is refreshingly different!

Kulula - by Casper van der Walt

29 August 2005

I took 2 Kulula flights on my recent trip to South Africa and must say I had mixed feelings about the airline. Although both flight (JNB-CPT and George-JNB) were dirt cheap, you could see that it is a low-cost airline. I mean, I don't want to complain, there is nothing to complain about, it is just that I was watching the cabin crew who were VERY young. On my way from George to JNB, 3 of the young girls who were suppose to help passengers with boarding procedures, were flirting with one guy! They were standing at his seat, one with her foot on the empty seat, chatting with him! They were unfriendly to the other passengers or totally ignored us, standing in the way so that it was difficult for us to reach our seats. The snacks were also not that cheap as stated below. Then, the cockpit door was open during the whole flight from George to JNB!!! What about safety? Talking about safety instructions, I know they are trying to make it a bit funny, but I just couldn't get myself to laugh. All in all it was OK, but next time I will try the other low cost airline 1Time first before flying with Kulula again.