KLM Customer Reviews and KLM Passenger Trip Reports

KLM 4-Star Airline rating

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

WATCH the KLM Videos to Experience the KLM Product and Service

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Buck LaFontaine     (USA)

Was booked for a flight to Denmark on KLM. The initial leg was on Delta and I was worried about that part, but I had to transfer in Amsterdam with only a 1 hour layover and almost didn't make it. Amsterdam airport is something of a mess - long, long terminals and long, long lines. The flight back was KLM all the way. We left Amsterdam 1/2 hr late, but looked to be landing in LA on time. Then the pilots got waived off and had to go around again. Result? We were 1/2 hr late. Sat in the hot plane on the tarmac at both LAX and Amsterdam as they were having gate issues combined with AC issues. Probably won't fly them again.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Jeremy Chesney     (USA)

JFK to AMS and then AMS to ATH. First the JFK flight: We flew on the lovely, new Boeing 777-300ER on this extremely short transatlantic flight from New York to Amsterdam, around 6 hours flight time. After boarding, it felt very clean and new, just as an airplane should be. After sitting down, it was obvious the seats were incredibly small, about 17.5" wide. Luckily I had an aisle seat, allowing me to stretch out a little. The crew acted calm and professional and wanted to help anyone in any way possible. After takeoff, I watched a quick film, and then was presented with dinner. Just before, they served us hot towels, which was a nice touch. In my case I ordered the vegetarian pasta dish, served with rolls. The flight attendant serving the food was very engaging and personable and wanted to know nearly anything about our trip. My fellow students who came on the trip were sure to ask him questions to which he responded politely. After dinner, I settled down for a small nap, and just about four hours later the cabin lights were turned back on in preparation for landing. A hot towel was once again given to us which helped us clean up for arrival. Upon landing, the flight attendants gave a very polite goodbye, and sent us on our way very quickly. Afterwards, I was sure to thank the gracious flight attendant who had been so polite, to which he wished me luck and great fun in my final destination. Then the flight from AMS-ATH: This flight was conducted on board a Boeing 737-800. The seats again were very similar, in that they were small. I was stuck with a middle seat in this case, but slept soundly. A sandwich was served, which doesn't happen on flights domestically in the U.S, which gave me a sense of that European spirit. After landing in Athens, the flight attendants once again wished us goodbye. All in all, this is one of my favorite airlines, and I have not ever had a better flight attendant than the one on the flight from JFK. I look forward to my next flight on KLM!

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by L Roestad     (Norway)

OSL-AMS-HAV. KLM is a really good, reliable and above all friendly airline. A330-200 for AMS-HAV means much better seat-width than sister-airline Air France's 777-300 used on CDG-HAV, a far more comfortable 2-4-2 seating than the 777`s 3-4-3 and, of course, only half the amount of passengers, making arriving formalities in HAV much faster. Still, the success-key is the cabin crew and the in-flight service standard. First pre lunch drinks with pringles, then a hot towel followed by a good, hot lunch (choice of main) and, after collecting meal trays: coffee/tea with cognac/liqueur. Ice cream was offered with coffee (and/or drinks) mid-way + several offerings of water/coke/juice through flight, and a hot towel again before a new hot snack/meal in good time before landing. All this offered by crew members who seem to enjoy their work. Who can ask for more in economy? (Have flown KLM several times on long hauls and this seems to be their standard service program in economy). Hopefully some day in the future KLM/AirFrance will lean totally on KLM`s service standards.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Kral Martin     (Slovakia)

2 days ago we took a flight from Panama to Amsterdam with KLM: what a terrible experience! Half of the employees appeared bored. The highlight was the situation when employees began discharging passengers, who were waiting at the gate and forced us to pass the security check again. No more KLM!

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Alexander Mokretsov     (Russia)

Flight from Amsterdam to Moscow. The flight was on time, the plane was clean, although not very new. The food was fine. Attentive and helpful flight attendants. Overall a good experience.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Hendrik Oberbeckmann     (Germany)

Flight from JFK to AMS was on time and we had a really good stay on board. Meals were very good for Economy Class, only inflight entertainment was a little old. Service was friendly and good.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by D Marriott     (UK)

Overall an enjoyable experience. Flying BHX-AMS-IAD and cabin crew were delightful and attentive. Food was good and drinks were served regularly. Flying IAD-AMS-BHX was good and bad in some respects. Much more room to relax as the flight was only about 1/3 full, but felt slightly neglected by crew and had to ask for refreshments rather than have them brought to me regularly (perhaps because it was a red eye flight? who knows). Crew also somewhat less enthusiastic on this return but not rude or unprofessional.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by F Hampton     (UK)

My problem is that we paid 3 months in advance for premium economy seats but we did not get them. It is evident from our dealings with the airline that they can only provide about 20% of the seats they sell. Therefore they lull passengers like me into booking with them when we could in fact book a comfort seat with another more reliable airline. Offering me a refund is not acceptable in view of the fact I could have booked with someone else and had a much more pleasant trip.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by F Benmergui     (Canada)

Flew economy class on airbus 330-200 to Madrid from Vancouver. Both flights departed on time. The food was pretty good on both flights and staff was friendly and helpful. The entertainment wasn't so good. The TV screens are small, and on my way to Madrid, the system did not work well. Overall, a good experience, and I plan to use them again.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Kuhan Kandiah     (Malaysia)

Flew KUL-CGK-KUL recently on their B772 outbound and the B77W inbound. Both sectors were pleasant and KLM has a very distinct image and branding of the colour blue. Cabin crew were pleasant and friendly and the aircraft was impeccable. Departure on time and early arrival. Food was fantastic for a two hour flight. Entertainment or IFE was easy to use and useful for the short hop. I will find another excuse to fly with them again.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by J Kell     (UK)

Flew AMS-YUL and return on KLM on 14th and 21st February respectively. On the first leg, our original plane developed a fault, which resulted in a delay of 3 hours. However, arrangements were swiftly made to bring in a replacement aircraft (even the same type, MD-11, allowing us to keep our original seating assignments). Despite the delay, the cabin crew were not grumpy, in fact they were very friendly, the seats were comfortable and the food delicious - KLM economy class desserts are certainly a cut above the rest. A wide range of in-flight entertainment kept us entertained throughout the flight. Return flight was even better than the first - Cabin crew were brilliant - the food quality was, again, high, all of which contributed to a very enjoyable flight. The plane itself was in good shape - the whole point of the trip was to fly on the MD-11, and we were able to accomplish this with pleasure. We have used KLM in the past and will continue to use and recommend them in future, as they can be relied upon to provide superb, reliable service and to find solutions to problems swiftly when things go wrong.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Jesperi Lauhio     (Finland)

Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur - Amsterdam - Helsinki in economy class. In general a very enjoyable experience. Only thing to complain about is the economy seat on the B777-300ER planes. Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur was a short hop of 1.5 hrs. Everything ran smoothly: check in at Jakarta was hassle free. Onboard a warm meal was served, not the best but really good for airplane food. The salad and cake were far too cold. The cabin crew were very welcoming, friendly and smiling. Overall the service was very good. I had booked myself a preferred seat (30€) from KLM website in advance. Stop over in Kuala Lumpur was very smooth. Clear announcements made onboard in Dutch and English. Arrival announcements were also made in Indonesian and Malaysian, although these were not that comprehensive. Kuala Lumpur - Amsterdam was a 12 hour leg. The cabin crew were excellent. A hot meal and breakfast was served on the flight. After the meal I slept for 7 hours, even though the seat was uncomfortable. Economy seats onboard the 777-300ER plane just ruins the day. The seat pitch is 32" and seat width 17.5". The seat is a little too hard in my opinion, and the recline is just ridiculous. Even the 737 I flew to Helsinki had a superior economy seat compared to the long haul plane. Transfer in Amsterdam was very simple and easy, no problems whatsoever. Nice and friendly staff on ground as well, even though a little colder service. Amsterdam - Helsinki was a very pleasant flight. Packed flight. The cabin crew were once again very warm and smiling. The food served was two pieces of sandwich which I liked. Seat onboard this B737-800 aircraft was really comfortable, and reclined more than onboard the 777. All flights were on time, all the transfers were hassle free, the food served onboard was tasty, my bags arrived in Helsinki and the service provided by the cabin crew was excellent.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Wodkiewicz Piotr     (Germany)

I flew on February 22nd from TXL to GRU via Amsterdam. It was a very nice trip. Very good service, the AVOD is quite outdated, the food was quite good. TXL-AMS was on a 737-700 and on the transatlantic route was a 777-300. I really enjoyed the transfer in Amsterdam and quite happy with the variety of shops.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by P Aidan     (USA)

I flew a KLM B737-900ER twice, and I was very impressed. This is my first time flying KLM, (AMS-VCE-AMS) and it was excellent. The flight was on-time and check-in staff were very nice. I am a Skyteam "elite plus" member so I got to enter the KLM Crown Lounge, once again, very impressed. The seats were amazing for a European flight, and they had tasty food for a 3 hour flight. The flight had a map of the flight on the screens, and the FA's were all smiles, and a funny safety demo on the first fight too! When we arrived, almost all the baggage was off the plane before the jetway got to us! This airline was one of the best I have flown and will definitely fly KLM again.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Pierre-Jean Trebuchet     (UAE)

BCN-AMS-GIG (Rio de Janeiro), March 10th. Had to fly KLM because no other option was left. In fact, I did not expect anything but a bad flight. KLM went beyond its fame: just a horrific experience. BCN-AMS was delayed, no explanation. Ground staff and cabin crew were both rude and ignorant: no lounge invitation despite of Premium Economy Ticket, no respect of priority boarding. BCN-AMS was full of noisy Chinese passengers who left the plane extremely dirty after 30 minutes of flight. "Breakfast" was a single Edam cheese sandwich, no other choice so I could not eat at all. Transfer at AMS was extremely short and we had to run. Ground staff at Schiphol are just good-for-nothings. AMS-GIG: old tired Boeing 777-200. My Premium Economy ticket has been not taken into consideration and I found myself in Economy, in the middle of the plane. Only one choice for meal again, small portions, food inedible. "Snack" served prior to landing was laughable, pizza OR crisps and when the trolley came to my row, no pizza available. Cabin crew rude and impolite, they spent all the time playing with their phones in the galley. Plane landed late at GIG, luggage delivery took 1hr. Never again.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by B Millet     (France)

I flew on KL682 from Vancouver to Amsterdam two days ago. The seat pitch in Economy is too narrow (31") for a 10 hours flight. As headrests are not adjustable, most passengers fumble with their pillow, trying to squeeze it between themselves and the seat. It's quite pathetic to see actually. Results? Poor sleep and back pain. Otherwise service and IE are good.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Ardhi Hidayat     (Malaysia)

KL809, KUL-CGK. Rude check-in counter crew at KUL, flight delayed one hour because of late arrival from AMS. After one hour, we boarded the aircraft, then when we were near the runway suddenly the aircraft was stopped. Around 20 mins later the captain made an announcement saying that there were 2 passengers that were double booked and they were contacting ground staff regarding that matter. After a one hour wait, finally the plane took off. Arrived in CGK 2 hours later than STA. I did not manage to catch my connection flight to DPS because of that. After 2 hours waiting, we expected that they would serve us a hot dinner on board, however they only served a vegetarian pie.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by B Ricketts     (Netherlands)

KL1477 on Feb 26th. After having issues with the booking, the KLM customer service support staff were very slow to respond (certainly not within 24 hrs as claimed) and the responses were unhelpful. The actual flight was ok and close to on time (slightly delayed), in flight beverage/snack service was good. However, the KLM website stopped recognizing my frequent flyer code (and all partner airline codes from what KLM tells me) and I have not been able to select my seats for 1.5 years since they had a website change in Nov 2012. To select a seat I must contact KLM directly for each flight, which has proven problematic repeatedly. I found the customer support to be something that needs improvement both with the level of service and the consistency.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by T Ayakam     (UK)

First and last time flying KLM. Terrible outbound and inbound experience. 8 day round trip. Outbound flight from Heathrow cancelled and I had to be rebooked onto an alternative airline with a 12 hour delay. Due to fly out on 15/02/12 on flight KL1000. Due to fly back on KL523 leaving Lusaka on 25/02/14, inbound flight grounded in Lusaka (Lusaka-AMS) for 24 hours! Poor communication from staff. I had paid for Economy Comfort seats, lost them at connection in AMS. Terrible food service AMS to LHR - only egg sandwich served. My daughter doesn't eat egg and when asked for a biscuit or something else we were completely ignored. Supposed to connect from AMS to LHR on flight KL1017 on 25/02/14 but ended up on flight KL1007 on 26/02/24. Absolutely awful experience start to finish.