Jetstar Airways Passenger Reviews and Jetstar Airways Customer Trip Reports

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  24 April 2014 by R Newbigin    (Australia)

Relocating to New Zealand, so had excess luggage. Had called Jetstar twice before travel to check the cost and on both occasions was told $15 per kg. At check-in was charged $25 per kg, and was told that $25 per kg is the international excess baggage charge regardless of destination. The excess baggage cost more than the actual flight ticket. Check-in staff could not care less that we were given incorrect information over the phone (twice!). Poor customer service and unethical business practices in my opinion.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  16 April 2014 by M Richard    (New Zealand)

Flight JQ151, SYD to CHC on 12th March - seats 5 A and B. Great check in at SYD polite and friendly staff no queues and all done with smiles and a minimum of fuss. Two bags checked in and no issues with weight or size though one was on the button and the other just under. Flight on time and the seat next to us was free, bonus. The cabin manager was on his game, polite, friendly, welcoming and very smartly turned out. The other crew equally so and the atmosphere on board was one of calm and professionalism. Smooth take off, not a word from the Captain, but prompt service one we levelled off and again swift, friendly and professional. Given the hour of the flight the Cabin Manager was smart enough to realize that most people were wanting to doze and there was minimum noise and disruption from the crew in respect to announcements or endless trips up and down the aisle as sometimes mysteriously happens on night flights. Arrived early into Christchurch and left the aircraft with a heartfelt thanks from the crew and a cheery good night. Great flight from Jetstar - this is our fifth International service and all are up there with the mainline carriers at about a quarter of the price.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Hilary Craven    (Australia)

Star

When I eventually get into my seat I'll leave another review, but that's not for another 2 hours, just a minor 7.5 hour delay. What is so spectacularly unacceptable was the lack of timely/accurate information, so now we have wasted a day here in Melbourne and lost a precious day of our holiday. We chose Jetstar as it flies direct from Melbourne to Honolulu, rather than Qantas which goes via Sydney, to save 4 hours. Foolish us.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Vane    (Australia)

Yes you may save money on the airfare but it is so not worth the saving to suffer through one of their flights in my opinion. If you get a basic ticket no food or drink apart from a small bottle of water is provided and it was freezing cold in the cabin and cost something like $20 to use a blanket for the trip. Never again will I fly Jetstar I have sworn, except if it is to Phuket which at the moment seems to be the only airline that goes there directly from Sydney. You get what you pay for with Jetstar! I flew Sydney to Bangkok return.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Peter Maloney    (Australia)

Recently travelled from Brisbane to Launceston and over the past 4 months I have made many return trips due to my moving. The flight times are very convenient and all, but one flight, was on time with departure, and sometimes early on arrival. One flight was 25 minutes late due to weather, which is of no consequence. All aircraft's were clean and cabin crew were fine. Several times I had emergency exit seats offered which I accepted and have no complaint with my treatment. I don't usually purchase food as I am sure I can survive for 2.5 hrs. The fares were all cheap, easy to book, and are good value. As always you get what you pay for. I rarely take luggage so the fare structure suits me and I always pay via Direct Debit to save on Credit Card Fees. One of my return trips via Melbourne was actually with Parent Company Qantas and this flight was nowhere near as pleasant as the Jetstar flights. Its just a shame that I see poor behaviour on these flights from fellow passengers over fairly minor problems.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Sterlson Clinton    (Australia)

MEL-SIN-MEL with Jestar along with some intra asia flights. On the outbound it was on a newer A330 which had the seat back AVOD. Had pre-booked meals and the I have to say it was the best inflight meal I have ever had (spicy Chicken with rice). The seat next to me was empty so comfort was quite good as I got to stretch out a bit. All intra Asia flights were pretty good but nothing more than what was expected i.e. got me to where I was going! Inbound flight did not have the seat back AVOD and have to say that I got a sore neck by the end of the flight as the Ipad has to sit on the tray table which is at an uncomfortable height. Flight attendants on all flights were nice and always willing to help. All in all I will be flying again with Jestar as they get me where I am going and at a good price.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Easther Paul    (Australia)

Flew Melbourne to Bangkok in Business class. We've flown Business Class with 5 other much more costly carriers in the past. Got to say, we were very impressed with Jetstar. The cabin staff were the friendliest and most attentive! The service faultless. The food was great, I had a black pepper steak with fried rice and steamed greens. The wines, 4 selections, were acceptable and they weren't stingy about top ups. They give you iPad's for the entertainment which with the superb headphones was good listening. The only downside is that the iPad adds to the limited space available on your tray, come meal time. Would definitely fly with them again and the savings made mean Suite upgrades at the destination.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 March 2014 by E Thomas    (Australia)

Star

Denpasar to SYD, 787 Dreamliner. Was sent an email offering paid upgrade to business class so couldn't refuse. Seats comfortable (although didn't fully recline) entertainment good, service excellent. The 787 Dreamliner is so smooth you hardly feel it take off or land. Will not refuse to take an upgrade to business offer again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 March 2014 by J Carruthers    (Australia)

Our first and definitely last ever flight with Jetstar. I write this as I spend over 12 hours at Changi Airport after Jetstar cancelled a flight from Singapore to Perth, supposedly due to bad weather in Perth. There is no bad weather in Perth today and other airlines are flying there. We and our fellow passengers believe they have given this excuse to avoid responsibility for passenger accommodation. For this reason we simply will not trust them again. We were warned though so the lesson has been learnt.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  24 March 2014 by B Bamkin    (Australia)

Star

Flew the new 787 from MEL to AKL and selected the J seat, although it was only Y service. Very dirty and grubby plane, esp for such a new aircraft (the carpet was appalling). Had flown Jetstar J before and knew what to expect, but the seat seemed less comfy, but maybe it was my imagination. Service wasn't an issue for us as the flight is only 3 hrs, but I have to say that if was crammed into a Y seat for 9 hrs to Asia I would understand how the convicts must have felt coming out to Australia. All in all had low expectations which were met. Did like the 787 as an aircraft and look fwd to seeing them on QF services one day in the future.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  18 March 2014 by J Singh    (Australia)

MEL-HNL return. Return trip was via Sydney. Pre-booked catering and entertainment. Had a spare seat next to me both ways which helped. Seat standard for economy. Ipad entertainment was fine. Food was barely fit for human consumption and not worth a cent - take your own on board. Check in at Melbourne long and arduous, and a bad way to start a holiday! Return flight was delayed in both HNL and SYD making for a very long trip.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 March 2014 by V Blaxell    (Australia)

Star

MEL-HNL-MEL purchased an upgrade to the business class product on outbound. Did not expect anything like business class product on other international carriers, so I was not disappointed with the product overall: it is closer to a premium economy product. Food was pretty good, wines were fine, very limited options on the free iPad, but the noise-reducing headphones were great and no complaints about the amenities packet. However, the leg room and recline were quite limited and the leg rest on my seat did not work. Chief FA looked at it and pronounced the cable broken "like lots of these seats", offered no regrets, but pointed to 2 company non-revs in the bulkhead row and asked if I wanted her to go and roust them out, so I could sit there. I felt very much put on the spot and declined. Miserable night. I suppose I should have been more assertive. On the inbound: execrable vegetarian food in economy and the seats also busted: no reading light, no call bell, no expression of regret from cabin staff (and this was an exit row seat for which I had paid extra). A332 on both flights very dirty and shabby. The toilets on both were simply disgusting even at the start of each flight. Many FAs wore dirty or tattered uniforms with buttons missing and frayed hems and cuffs. Of course, the ticket was relatively cheap and Jetstar is now the only non-stop between MEL and HNL, so one has to hold one's nose and endure. Slipshod, rubbish airline even for an LCC.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 March 2014 by H Williams    (Australia)

Perth to Sydney on A321. Bargain fare, flight on time and crew very pleasant and professional. Only problem was lack of catering. I sat near the front but they had already sold out of most options as passengers on previous flight had bought it. Apparently they do not restock at Perth and the company prefers to sell out (and disappoint customers) rather than carry adequate stocks of food that could be left unsold. Eat before you board!

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  3 March 2014 by I Selkirk    (Australia)

Melbourne to Hobart. Flight was 2 hours late and then left us at the luggage carousel for 45 min waiting for luggage to be unloaded, a completely unacceptable performance that caused us to miss the wedding we travelled for and incur additional transport costs. Information flow throughout was poor and inaccurate.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  3 March 2014 by G Bassett    (Australia)

Last month was my second flight on Jetstar from Melbourne to Bangkok, return. Food and drink both have to be purchased on board or online during booking which is fair enough as it is a cheap airline fare. Leaving Melbourne we were aware of this and took our own sandwiches and bottled water purchased in the Duty Free area at Tullamarine - no problem. On both return journeys - at Bangkok airport - our bags were searched before boarding and all water was confiscated from passengers. Although we could purchase drinks and snacks using a credit card on-board we did not. Surely Jetstar could at least provide free bottled water to dehydrated passengers. Maybe I just expect too much.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 February 2014 by M Satish    (India)

Flew them between Brisbane - Sydney and Sydney - Gold Coast. Clean aircraft, on-time departure. Cabin crew were quite mechanical in their duties. Food items and beverages were available for sale. Their web-site is also quiet user friendly for making reservations. Overall good experience.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Adrian Pich    (Australia)

Flew Jetstar JQ960 from Adelaide to Cairns on February 3. For a (by Australian standards) lengthy domestic flight, it was well worth the saving to fly Jetstar. Incredibly attentive crew, comfortable seats and iPads available to hire, along with the usual food and drink for purchase.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  24 February 2014 by I Sampson    (Australia)

Travelled for the first time with Jetstar in January to Launceston. Check in took 50 minutes at Sydney (just as well we were early). When on the plane I had to sit sideways as there was not enough leg room, my teenage sons also had the same problem. The lady in front of me tried to recline her seat during the flight but could not because my knee was jammed up against the back of her seat. I had to ask her to stop trying to recline as it was hurting my knees. I Think Jetstar are greedy as they are understaffed and there are too many rows of seats on the plane for people of average size. Next holiday it will be back to Virgin.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Seguy Christian    (Japan)

Jetstar is a low-cost carrier but still, they could do a little better in some specific areas to avoid disappointing their customers. For example: I was flying 3K764, KIX-MNL and they offer online check in. But when you get to the airport, the special line for online checked in passengers is closed and you have to queue with the regular passengers. The local Jetstar staff doesn't seem to understand the concept of on-line check in and frequent travelers would agree with me that it's quite annoying. The overall friendliness of the onboard staff is average or below average.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Andrei Niculae    (Australia)

Perth to Brisbane. Flight cancelled after waiting in the airplane from midnight to 3.30am. Rescheduled for the following day and new delay. Attendants tired and not offering support.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Kevin Tunnicliffe    (UK)

SYD to MEL and back. The flight was fine, you don't expect too much on such a short flight. No IFE and food and drink prices were reasonable. I had a coffee which was surprisingly good. The bugbear was the check in. Massive queues at Sydney but moving quickly due to the fully manned bag drops. However in Melbourne for the return two "jobsworths" asked where passengers were travelling to and only allowed certain flights to join the queue. Consequently when they did finally condescend to allow us in it was an almighty scramble to get the bag dropped and to the gate before the flight. Really let the airline sown. It wasn't that they were busy, just two women exercising their power! That is reason I downmarked the staff service option because cabin crew were great.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Greer Stephens    (Australia)

Star

Flew Melbourne to Phuket on new Dreamliner in Business Class on 9/2/2014. This was such a nice surprise to be on this plane. Even the staff seemed happier. Also the food was of a higher standard than I have had on previous flights. After saying all this there are two areas that need me. One is the cleanliness of the seats. Many were stained and the other is that they do need more choice on the entertainment side.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  12 February 2014 by C Mcgarnicle    (Canada)

We flew from Melbourne to Denpasar and needed to check one bag. I went to ask how much it would cost at the counter and they said to do it online asap. To book it online, the cost is $54, if you didn't see the fine print on the website which only said the cost would be greater at the counter, you would have to pay $165. For one bag! On top of that absolutely everything else cost money as well. I had to ask for water. I would rather pay the extra $100 and fly in comfort with a regular airline.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  7 February 2014 by J Greenhorn    (Australia)

Flew BNE to TSV. travelling with special needs passenger, boarded first with 3 seats between 2 of us. check in staff were quite rude, we had overweight baggage and I was fine with paying this without complaint. Check in lady wrote ticket and just pointed, when I ask what the pointing meant was quite rude. The inflight staff were fantastic fun, its just the people on the ground who give Jetstar a bad wrap. Flight left on time and arrived early.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  23 January 2014 by K Piddick    (Australia)

NTL to MEL, 13 Jan. Full aircraft. Counter check-in friendly and accommodating granting 3 of us exit row seats upon request. Aircraft clean, seats comfortable for 1.5 hr flight which departed on time. Very smooth flight. Advance purchase of tickets meant that the flight was good value.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  22 January 2014 by C Stewart    (Australia)

Melbourne to Singapore. Having read over and over again how bad the budget internationals were I was amazed at the value for money you get when traveling with Jetstar. Sure the food was not 5 star but it was edible, the seats were comfortable, staff friendly and overall for the price I paid ($324 return) how could you expect more. It amazes me that people whinge about budget airlines and compare them to full cost airlines. Overall very happy.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  20 January 2014 by A Cilia    (Australia)

Flew MEL-MCY return on JQ794, 11th Jan and JQ793, 18th Jan. JQ794 - 11th Jan 2014. Aircraft: A320 VH-VGT. Seat 20F. We had carry on only and we used web check in so we could go straight to the gate no queuing or anything. Flight was on time and aircraft was clean. Seat was adequately comfortable, however the legroom was limited, it would be a bit uncomfortable on a longer flight. Crew were especially good on this flight, very welcoming and helpful. Didn't purchase any food onboard or entertainment onboard - no need to spend the extra $$ on a short flight. Arrived early. JQ793 - 18th Jan 2014. Aircraft A320 VH-VQQ. Seat: 28F. Flight was good, seat pretty comfortable more legroom on this older and differently configured aircraft. Once again didn't purchase any food or entertainment. Crew were helpful. Arrived on time. Overall I was very pleased with the service. We just wanted the cheapest fare, so we don't care about extras like luggage, entertainment, food. There was nothing to complain about - Jetstar excelled in every area and I would definitely fly with them again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 January 2014 by A Tucker    (Australia)

Hobart - Melbourne - Perth. Hobart to Tullamarine on a fairly new A320. Aircraft was pretty clean and tidy, and me and my wife got our allocated seats. Flight was on time, happy to say. JQ968, Tullamarine to Perth was a different story. Check in manager very rude, even after I produced my ASIC and advised her that I was fully aware of the conditions of being in an exit row. Inexcusable behaviour. Flight was out on time on a new A320, but I cannot understand the cabin crew. A person should not do a job like this if they are not cut out to do it. Sure, the flight was a "red eye", and as a frequent flyer I can accept that this can affect your moods. But the fact that one staff member (Cabin Manager) was putting meals on the floor, another male member of staff (who conveniently wore no name tag) was slamming around and making as much noise as he possibly could. He was on a mission not to let passengers sleep. And then the lot of them standing there and complaining about their jobs - well, you get the picture. Paid a full fare for this flight, and in my view, if this is the way Jetstar operates their business, they do not deserve any of the domestic market. Will never use them again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 January 2014 by M Potter    (Japan)

Flew Jetstar Tokyo to Sydney via gold coast. Flight was delayed by an hour. I tried to buy drinks on the plane and staff rudely informed me that they don't take cash (AUD or JPY) and only credit cards, which I didn't have. To be fair, the flight was a lot cheaper than any of the other full service airlines but you get what you pay for. Flew back to Tokyo on Air NZ a few weeks later and was amazed at the difference. Chalk and cheese. Seats are uncomfortable and have minimum legroom (even on a large aircraft such as the A330). Cabin crew are rude (and their polyester polo shirt uniforms are awful). Check in staff appear to be overworked. For short haul flights Jetstar are OK, but for anything longer than 4 hours your better off going with a full service airline.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  16 January 2014 by B Le Quesne    (Australia)

I have traveled with Jetstar from Perth to Bali and return twice in the last 2 years. Both times were on an Airbus A320. Personally I found the seats in economy class quite OK compared to the economy seats on Qantas and Virgin who use Boeing 737's. Being a low cost carrier I made sure I read the fine print and terms and conditions. Once again as is so true in life you get what you pay for. Budget Airline means no frills and the bare basics unless you want to pay extra. As it is only a 3.5 hour flight I was more than happy to forgo the full services offered in exchange for a much cheaper fare. Both times Jetstar have provided a realistic service for the price paid. Aircraft was clean, flight on time and fairly smooth. No real complaints. What I expected was met and I would much rather have the money I saved to spend on my holiday than enjoying all the perks of a full service carrier. Realistically it is only 3.5 hours out of your life! Will happily fly Jetstar again in the future on short haul flights.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 January 2014 by J Catolico    (Philippines)

My flight to Tokyo from MNL, Jan 6 was canceled due to hydraulic problem as mentioned by the captain when we are already onboard the plane. They said we will be delayed for an hour but eventually it was canceled and rescheduled the next day. Jetstar accommodated all pax in a five star hotel with free meals, so for a budget airline it was very good.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  10 January 2014 by K Le Quang    (New Zealand)

In my trip to Japan, I decided to fly back to Tokyo from Osaka on Jetstar Japan. Staff at the check-in counter were helpful and friendly. The flight however was delayed for about 20-30 minutes but without any announcement. It was generally good for a short-haul flight domestically in Japan.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  9 January 2014 by D Ryan    (Australia)

Flew Sydney to Hobart for a Christmas break. Flights were cheap to buy and they turned out to both be on time, so no complaints. Legroom is a bit cramped but for a two hour flight it's reasonable.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  8 January 2014 by C Macleod    (Australia)

Star

Flew JQ944 from Melbourne to Cairns then onto Osaka (JQ15 Business class), then Osaka to Fukuoka the next day. Returned on 6th January, Fukuoka to Osaka (GK550) then Osaka to Cairns (JQ16 Business Class) Cairns to Melbourne (JQ947). The Japanese legs were fine as was the outbound flights to Japan. Though the return flight from Osaka was average. They forgot my sons meal during dinner service (I had to ask them for it), they did apologise, though he ordered chicken and got beef and I said nothing as I figured it was all to much trouble for them. Then the girl going through the cabin offering desert, tea and coffee missed us completely. Once again I had to ask. The fight from Cairns started good with a very helpful girl at the counter. Some of the crew were terrible. Then a rather rude women on the crew ordering people to sit down, marching up and down the plane and the two crew members sitting down the back during the whole trip gossiping in loud voices. As an Australian it was embarrassing. As a regular flyer I've got to say the service is pretty average and it really is hit or miss. Some staff members are very good while some are woeful. But I guess you pay for what you get.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  7 January 2014 by A Sadler    (Australia)

Flew JQ91, ADL-DRW on 25th Dec 2013 and returned on JQ92, DRW-ADL on 29th Dec 2013. Both flights were on time and seats were fine. Entertainment and food were ok - you have to pay for it, but for the 3.5 hour flight it is worth it. What really impressed me was the cabin staff, especially from DRW to ADL. Our cabin manager was the best I have experienced. Nothing was too much trouble. I have found Jetstar hit and miss in the past. Sydney and Melbourne based crew are generally lifeless and disinterested, however Darwin based crew are excellent.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Cathy Hayes    (Australia)

Travelled with Jetstar to Phuket because they flew direct. They were not cheaper than other airlines available at the time just the flight times were good. Everything on this flight came with an extra cost. Food, drinks, entertainment and even a blanket for our daughter who was feeling cold came at an additional cost. I think Jetstar have poor service and are a rip off. I will not fly again or recommend this airline to others.