Jetstar Airways  Passenger Reviews and Jetstar Airways Customer Trip Reports

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  20 August 2012 by T Roberts    (Australia)

Upon taking advantage of the 'special' deals that Jetstar advertise through the media, I was disappointed to find that there were extra charges for seat, baggage and absolute robbery of credit card fees. Upon checking in, my baggage was one kilo over the 15 kgs I paid for upon checking in, and I got fined $60 for the fault. The line for getting onto the plane was absolutely terrible with only one staff member taking the ticket stubs, it took over 25 mins to get onto the plane.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 August 2012 by H Chatz    (Australia)

Star

Screaming kids all the way Melbourne to Singapore. Staff did nothing about them, toddlers were allowed to run up and down the aisle disturbing other passengers. Bought 3 tickets 6 months ago with assigned seating in row 1. We were all bumped off our seats when we went to check in. Wondering why we were moved from row 1, a very rude staff member barked at me saying "there are babies on this flight so we need the bassinets seats". Well, on boarding there were no babies in row 1. Seats were cramped and no leg room whatsoever once seat in front is reclined. Audio selection was very poor on some strange ipad type of unit. Beware of Jetstar business class, absolutely dreadful.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 August 2012 by K Chinn    (Australia)

MEL-SYD return. Both flights delayed 30 mins. Seat pitch on A320 on the way up very tight. Lucky had empty middle seat. Ok for short flights but for anything longer than 2 hours, very uncomfortable. A321 on flight back. Seat pitch marginally better. Both flights very smooth and cabin crew did their jobs ok.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 August 2012 by I Hanna    (Australia)

SYD-NAN. We were delayed 1 hour. The actual flight itself was reasonable but until someone's bottle of water dripped on my husband and other fellow passengers from the overhead compartment. Cabin crew cleaned up the water and were friendly. The new iPads for inflight entertainment was great. It is great to keep the kids entertained during the flight. Food was nice and the seats were also comfortable. Overall a good flight with Jetstar.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 August 2012 by Peter Booyzen    (Australia)

Travelling domestically and flight was delayed for 3.5 hours. Never once were passengers advised of why flight was delayed or when it could be expected to depart. Constantly changing departure times up on electronic displays. Staff surly and uninformed as to details of delay or when flight was to depart. Customer service and simple communication seriously lacking. 3rd bad experience. Will never fly them again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  13 August 2012 by C Thornton    (Australia)

Having gained my seat allocation and boarding pass online, my partner and I made our way to Brisbane airport. The flight we had booked was JQ487 leaving at 19.55pm. Arrived in plenty of time and heard the first call to get seats. Made our way to the gate where a rather nasty young blonde woman stopped us to say our bags were too big for hand luggage. She insisted we stop and measure my partners bag. Once we boarded, every overhead luggage compartment had luggage identical to mine and my partners, all the same size and shape. I do not appreciate the rudeness of the crew who are paid for customer service. The only thing that saved the flight was the apology made by the steward who gave good service. Your flight staff are great but ground crew a lot to be desired!

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  10 August 2012 by H Wayne    (Australia)

Melbourne - Launceston. Staff rude and not interested in passengers. No boarding call made and had to run to gate after hearing the final boarding call. Plane delayed further as they hadn't fuelled the aircraft. Seat pitch very poor and seat uncomfortable. Hardly any legroom. Food and Beverages ok. Just like any other airline, same old food. I would not recommend Jetstar.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  7 August 2012 by D Swell    (Australia)

Booked and paid for Qantas tickets return SYD-HNL. On arrival at Honolulu airport we found out we were in fact flying Jetstar. After taking our seats we were told that as we were Qantas passengers we would be getting a comfort pack, 2 meals and 2 drinks. Asked for an iPad each to watch movies but were told we needed to pre-book them. There were spare consoles but they were for the passengers who had paid for them, in case they had battery issues! When the meals came around I asked for a water and a juice but was told flatly that I could only have one cold and one hot drink, how ridiculous! Cabin service was non existent, when the steward eventually came to take our order they had run out of Diet Pepsi with 4 hours still to go in the flight. The best thing about the flight was getting off the plane and getting on the Qantas plane back to Brisbane. What a pleasant change in the staff, from glum to cheery. Never again Jetstar!

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  2 August 2012 by M Chan    (New Zealand)

Star

AKL-SIN-KUL return. Flight itself was good. Seat was comfortable though the leg rest on the seat of the return flight was not as adjustable as the outward flight. Meals were ok as airline food goes. Glad we paid the extra to fly business. Only snag we had was the booking we made. Our return flight from K Lumpur to Singapore and onto Auckland, we were told that we had to go through immigration, collect our bags, go through customs, then check in again and go through immigration again to board our flight from Singapore to Auckland! Though we were travelling with Jetstar right through, they couldn't check our bags through to Auckland. Reason given was the booking numbers. Wished that we were told when we booked with Jetstar. Luckily it happened in Changi Airport as they are super efficient that we managed to do that with little stress.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 July 2012 by A Libien    (Australia)

DRW-DPS-DRW. Check-in quick. Staff polite and helpful. Departure slightly delayed due to late arrival of aircraft from southern port. Flight uneventful. Ordered a sandwich and was pleasantly surprised. Check-in at DPS was quick. Counter staff very helpful and polite. Flight left early. Very smooth and quiet. Arrived in DRW early. Baggage available quickly. My major concern is that Jetstar frequently either cancels or delays flights for no apparent reason. Getting to and from anywhere on time seems to be a matter of luck.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 July 2012 by D Ryan    (Australia)

Purchased sale fairs to Japan from Sydney to Tokyo via Cairns. A330 is far better then the single body A320 as the seats recline further and are wider. Seats are comfortable and roomy. Paid food and good and tasty while the paid entertainment is a bit scarce in options. All flights were on time.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  20 July 2012 by Karren McLean    (New Zealand)

Had a flight from Dunedin to Auckland. Scheduled to leave at 1900, left at 2050. Seems they were short of a steward. Classy (not) scanning of boarding passes. I have never heard "OK [giggle] you can all go now." Then, waiting for a shuttle at AKL with a passenger from Wgtn (also on a flight with a long delay). Seems she was told the same story of being short of a steward. Two domestic flights delayed for hours with the same excuse. What is going on?

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  17 July 2012 by B Bennett    (Australia)

Star

Star Class SYD-HNL-SYD, 5/7/2012. Being bumped from the allocated seat I had purchased 6 weeks before my flight. I took my 86 year old mother for a family holiday. Because she is frail, I am 190 cm tall and my wife needs to care for my 8 year old son, we delayed our holiday for several days in order to secure the 3 aisle seats we needed. Can you imagine the humiliation I suffered in front of my mother and other passengers when, after we had taken our seats, the ground staff came into the cabin and demanded I move to a middle seat or else the plane's takeoff would be delayed. In order to avoid a fuss my mother agreed to move to the middle seat. However, as soon as the meal service ended the passenger who demanded my aisle seat fully reclined the two seats in front of my mother so his 3yr old and 6 yr old daughters could relax. Because the armrests on the StarClass seats are fixed in position, mum was trapped in her seat until the next meal service 7 hours later! To be fair, the aircrew were great and handled this unpleasant situation very well. I do not understand how an airline can advertise that you can pay for seat allocation and then not honour the terms of their contract. Let alone humiliating myself and making my mother very uncomfortable during the flight. Unfortunately, because of the limited number of StarClass seats on these long haul flights we were unable to fly StarClass on the return leg or rent an ipad to entertain my son because they only load 47 units on long haul flights from Honolulu, even during school holidays.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  16 July 2012 by B L Chua    (USA)

HKG-SIN on July 13 2012. Almost four hour delay. Seats cramped, no inflight entertainment. I paid for checked in luggage, seat selection and even food. For the price I paid for a meal, I got two drinks and a plastic box of heated junk. I expected a tray like a normal airline meal. With all the add ons, it was no longer "low fare". Value was non-existent. We had to take the bus at the terminal to the far end of the airport. Since many people don't want to pay for checked-in luggage, overhead bins overflowed. By the time we got into the cabin, it was past the time for taking off. I have a roundtrip ticket and I dread using the return portion from Singapore to HKG and go through another 4 hours of sheer misery and utter discomfort.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  16 July 2012 by Ingo Reisch    (Australia)

Sydney-Honolulu-Sydney in Business class! We selected Jetstar as Hawaiian and Qantas both use 767's versus the A330 Jetstar operates. No airline offers full flat bed seats, so it made sense. Maybe Jetstar changed from Star class to business as they were not able to make us feel like stars. The all leather seats give you no support, no pillows are provided, all you get is a DIY blow up neck ring. The crew was running through the cabin with the attempt to avoid any eye contact with passengers. Coming back we had a great crew, a vastly improved experience which made the poor seating and lack of room not as bad after all. For extra comfort we purchased our own pillows and did not bother blowing up the neck ring! Departure and arrival times where spot on. The I-pad tablets are just OK, can't wait for the 767's to retire and the 787 coming into service!

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 July 2012 by Michael Robinson    (Australia)

Star

Star Class SYD-HNL-SYD, 11/6/2012 return 21/06/2102. Check in easy, crew fantastic. I'm 6ft 4in, plenty of legroom, better than Qantas 747 Premium Economy. Enjoyed Qantas club both in Sydney and Honolulu, food was good.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 July 2012 by Chris Bell    (Australia)

Perth to Bali. This must be the worst airline that I have ever travelled with and I have not even left the ground yet! I make the booking for a pleasant time of day and even pay extra for the privilege, then within a week they reschedule it to a horrible time. After four phone calls and several weeks of aggravation they finally manage get a booking on a flight leaving at 9 am - OK not a bad time. Then we arrive at the airport to be told that they have transferred our Aircraft to a domestic route and we are rescheduled from 9 am to 4 pm - OK Bali at 8 pm hotel at 10, not bad. Then an hour later they reschedule to 7 pm departure! Midnight at the hotel and a days leave wasted and I have not left home yet!

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 July 2012 by B Vincent    (Australia)

I flew PER-MEL on 1st July. The flight boarded well ahead of the departure time, but sat at the gate for 45 minutes probably because the Qantas systems were down that day and Qantas passengers were being shuffled onto our flight. We made up time and arrived early. Cabin crew were led by a Staff Development Manager so were on best behaviour. A reviewer below mentioned that all other Australian airlines have 30-33" seat pitch - I'm not sure this is quite true (Tiger run the same aircraft type with the same number of seats, and some Virgin seating is very tight these days), but some seats are definitely better than others. What I don't understand is why they only run A320's to Perth - these are the longest domestic flights and according to the website their A321s and A330s have more generous seat pitch.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  9 July 2012 by Haskie Hitchcock    (USA)

JQ926 BNE-CNS. The flight had no entertainment which I knew so I just brought my own food on the plane for my entertainment and to eat. The flight, with your own entertainment is great.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  6 July 2012 by D Smith    (Australia)

Myself and partner flew Sydney to Cairns return. From the international terminals we could purchase sandwiches and muffins on the forward trip but they only had Mars bars or crisps on the return trip at 7am in the morning. Pretty ordinary for a 3 hour flight. The seat in economy on the A330 are very tight, my knees were on the seat in front, flight attendants never smile. Never again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  5 July 2012 by Ron West    (Australia)

MEL-HNL via SYD. Jetstar insist that their own international passengers claim their bags at Sydney domestic and then carry them across to International, although they will check bags through for American Airlines passengers! In fact, nowhere on the ticket is it mentioned that passengers have to make their own way from the domestic terminal in Sydney to the international - either a bus or a train fare away. The only oblique reference I could find on the Jetstar website was that passengers with a Qantas segment on their tickets could use the Qantas shuttle bus without charge. On the SYD-HNL leg, I had an empty seat beside me, which was fortunate as there wasn't much legroom. A330 economy seats are hard and uncomfortable on a long flight. I had paid in advance for meals - food was OK, and the bottle of drink was fine. The flight wasn't great value for the fare I paid. I would suggest that elderly passengers in particular stay away from Jetstar International if their flight involves a domestic connection because Jetstar will require them to claim their own luggage and check in again at the connection point.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  4 July 2012 by Stephen Emmett    (Australia)

JQ038 to Bali and Back. The seats were awful. They are so tight once the person in front reclines you have to recline your seat. We paid for all the extras, the food was very limited so we had to buy food anyway, they forgot our comfort pack and in fact we found later into the flight they gave it to someone else who hadn't paid for it. The entertainment was very limited and the sound quality was terrible. The staff were non existent and inattentive.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  2 July 2012 by P Bancroft    (Australia)

I just returned from Hawaii on jq3/4 and would like to say what a good flight both ways. The crew were delightful and the seating very comfortable. There were long lines at the check in, and there were long lines at the other airline check in counters but they moved along and were very efficient. The biggest problem I observed was the minority demanding public that seem to think it was their right to have everything go their own way. I can only imagine that it was this mob that left their seating space like a tip once we had disembarked.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  29 June 2012 by D Swanson    (Australia)

My wife just booked flights, and made a mistake, booked flights on the right dates but the wrong way round. I rang jetstar to see if they could help me out to change these flights around to the right departure and arrival. I have flown with them for 4 years, and when I speak to someone to get it changed, they try to charge me $150 more than what it would cost me to rebook and lose the money I first booked with. All I got was "it's policy" nothing we can do, but we are helping you the best way we can. It's ok when they change my flights, have flights late, with no word of a sorry or explanation.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 June 2012 by MJ Ryan    (Australia)

Star

I've flown Jetstar many times and over the last half dozen flights, have opted for business class seats. On 11th June we returned from Phuket to Sydney, once again in business class. I have to say, the food provided on this flight was very disappointing. Very little difference to what companions were given in economy class. Bland, tasteless muck. We did have metal cutlery! Once the meal was served, the attendants seamed to disappear and even getting a fresh bottled water was a chore. I'm not convinced the extra cost over economy is actually good value. The seats are comfortable if you're above average height and you do get off the flight first upon arrival, making it quicker at immigration. overall though, I think they need to lift their game. In their favour, I did think the food quality was better on the Sydney to Thailand leg, maybe they need to look at the suppliers in Thailand?

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 June 2012 by Darren Tee    (Australia)

You can't check-in until 2hrs before flight. But you must check in at least 1/2 hr before - no exceptions - or then you lose your ticket. This means check-in counter staff are idle until each flight opens - then bombarded - by the people who are all waiting just outside the check in queue anyway. They usually don't use air- bridges, so you have to walk in the weather across the tarmac. You kind of expect that on a little Dash-8 at a regional airport - but not on a big jet in a capital city. As per Jetstar website, seat pitch on the A320 is 28" - not 30". All other Aussie airlines have 30-33". That makes a big difference on a 5.2hr flight BNE-PER. Seats only recline about 4 degrees back as a result. You can't even get a drink of water for less than $3.50. No room in overhead lockers, because they're full of carry-on luggage, from those who won't pay $18 for checked luggage - but will happily pay for numerous $7 bourbons en-route. You can't move to spare seats, because they are sold to someone. The worst aspect: You can't check your bags through on multiple domestic flights (only on some international). You have to get your bags after each flight and then re-check for the next flight and re-clear security. A pain when there's 5 hrs between flights (remember - can't check in until 2hrs before) but worse if your flights are close & first flight is late. For inflight entertainment, you do have the option of paying $10 for an iPad, but these are limited.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  25 June 2012 by B Harris    (Australia)

Flight: In last month. Travelled CNS to KIX return in Business Class. Service was ok. However the cabin team leader had a bit of an attitude problem. My wife's side of the plane go to choose bread types etc while I had the team leader giving service and you got what you were given. After meal was served crew were scarce and spent time gossiping in galley. The thing that irritated me the most was the fact people were allowed children on their knee in business, who screamed thru the whole trip. As far as I'm concerned you pay the extra for piece and quiet. I have travelled this service 6 months previously and thought the service had dropped since then. Although the fares were very cheap I would rather pay more and receive superior child free service.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  25 June 2012 by B Madison    (Australia)

Flight: In last month. Brisbane-Cairns. Check in desk forgot to give boarding passes to two elderly passengers sitting nearby us. They had to walk outside security and re check in. The plane arrived into Brisbane 30 minutes late and we sat on the tarmac for an extra thirty minutes awaiting "paperwork". It is a budget airline after all so I did not expect much on board service and my expectations were met. Would only book this airline if it is significantly less expensive than the competitor airlines.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Pascal Languillon    (New Zealand)

AKL-SIN. Auckland-Singapore on A330. Plane is clean and new. Seats are not the most comfortable though. Since you have to pay for food and for the inflight entertainment system, we brought our own food and entertainment, so this proved to an enjoyable flight, and for a good price. Recommended if you want to save money and don't expect spectacular service.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Mike Stringfellow    (Australia)

Star

Sydney-Denpasar return Business class. Was glad it was only a 6 hour flight each way. The cabin crew tried hard, but it seems to lack the refinement of other airlines. Crew really helpful. Seats comfortable. Avoid window seats because once the row in front reclines, it's a big effort to get out. Food and wine okay. Entertainment limited with personal sets. I guess you get what you pay for. For the short trip it was worth it.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Brian Wood    (New Zealand)

Star

I recently tried Star Class fom Auckland to Singapore. It was either that or travelling Singapore Airlines in economy class for the same price. I have to say that Star Class was much better value. The seats were fine. The meal service choice was good - had a delicious lamb casserole. The staff were attentive and I had trouble getting extra drinks. The on demand entertainment system worked fine and the choice was okay. Overall, I found the experience was good. The only gripe I had was the unseat power failed halfway during the journey. Overall the experience was good I will certainly fly Jetstar Star Class again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 June 2012 by Eddie Longley    (New Zealand)

Auckland to Singapore return. Check-in was quick, easy and staff were friendly. Plane was ok, seats were uncomfortable, crew were friendly and helpful. Did not use any services onboard. Brought my own food and crew removed my rubbish. People need to realise that you get what you pay for, as a budget airline I think they did very well. Will fly with them again.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  14 June 2012 by R Wilson    (Australia)

Star

Flew the Jetstar equivalent of business class this week (SIN-MEL) and was very disappointed, hardly any leg room, hard uncomfortable seats which do no recline much, food quality was poor and selection of on demand movies and TV shows was also severely limited. I asked for a pillow and was told there was a 'blow up one' in the amenities bag. It was an extremely uncomfortable neck pillow and the expected duvet was in fact an old grey blanket. The overall offering from Jetstar just does not come anywhere close to competing with Air Asia's lay flat beds in their Premium Class with pillows and duvets. Jetstar does not even given priority baggage to business class passengers! Definitely not worth paying the extra money, stick to economy if flying Jetstar.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  12 June 2012 by P Maloney    (Australia)

Launceston-Melbourne return 7th June. Both flights on time or early. A320 clean and flights uneventful. Check-in quick and easy and as usual this is strictly a no frills method of travel one step up from coach travel. Crew friendly to Melbourne but on return trip crew was abrupt and a little rude. I have a disability and they offered me no assistance with my bag in the overhead compartment and seem to avoid me when I am lifting and holding a walking stick. On the flight from Launceston one male crew member was a little more sympathetic but they always seem to go out of their way to avoid dealing with anything other than the norm. I use the airline regularly and the fares are usually reasonable but I am mindful that the crew are usually not interested and do the bare minimum.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  12 June 2012 by J Rose    (USA)

SYD-HNL Star Class. Typically poor experience on Jetstar. Exceedingly long queue for business class check-in of 45 minutes, they were checking in 3 flights using only one counter for business class. Several agents standing around doing nothing. Inflight experience leaves a lot to be desired. Star class bears no resemblance to international business class standards. Seats are much more akin to US domestic airlines first class seats with limited recline, limited legroom and a worthless footrest. When the passenger in front of me reclined, my knees were jammed against the seat. I measured 6 inches of space between the seatback and the front edge of my seat. Do not be fooled into thinking this class is a bargain at any price. Cabin service was cool and indifferent. Cabin attendants served meals, and disappeared for the rest of the flight. Certainly not worth the money, and extremely poor value.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  7 June 2012 by John O'Grady    (Australia)

My wife and myself flew return Brisbane-Darwin on the new A320. What a joke. The seats are flat and hard, and the seat backs uncomfortable. Seat pitch is 28 inches. So if you like the seat back in front of you less than a A4 page away, just wait until the passenger in front reclines. Trying very hard to be Australia's Ryanair.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  7 June 2012 by Terry Wrist    (New Zealand)

Flew from AKL-CHC and had a very nice flight. Our plane had relatively new seating which was comfortable. Legroom was acceptable and the crew were friendly and efficient. Online Check-In worked well and allowed us to avoid the queues to drop off our bags. Overall I highly recommend.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  31 May 2012 by Ron West    (Australia)

Melbourne-Newcastle return, JQ477 29th May and 474, 30th May. Both flights were on time. Tight legroom made a bit more bearable for short flights by having magazines etc behind the headrests, rather than jammed up against one's knees. On the forward journey, I observed the cabin manager briefing a passenger with mobility issues about safety aspects of the flight. She displayed a truly caring and professional approach, and I was impressed. On both flights, most people were fairly obviously leisure flyers - I am happy to travel Jetstar when flying for leisure, but would not recommend it for business travellers.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  29 May 2012 by Jo Bank    (Australia)

SYD-OOL. Arrived at the airport on time. Flight delayed 40 mins because crew had to come from a different aircraft. After crew arrived they did a quick check and started boarding the flight. However, cabin crew were very rude. Crew virtually ran down the cabin serving food (I had my wallet out ready to buy something) "any food, would anyone like any food". Then right in front of my face, a massive high five.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  26 May 2012 by M Morrison    (Australia)

Star

Cairns-Sydney-Phuket in Business class. Was not allowed to sit in business class on the 3 hour domestic flight but was allocated an exit row on the A330. Not sure why we could not be seated in business like on the other A330 sector. No food or drinks offered on domestic sector. Seats in business are really premium economy and the only inflight entertainment option was an ipad that was only given out after the meal service. Crew were clearly disinterested and one almost barked at me when I dare go to the galley to ask for an apple juice as there were no drinks runs between the services on this 9.5 hour flight.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  22 May 2012 by C Reid    (Australia)

Star

Had the misfortune of flying Business class from Brisbane to Phuket. Booked to fly out of Brisbane at 8am and arrive in Phuket at 10.30pm the same day. We checked our bags in the morning and by 11am the following day Jetstar had managed to get us to Melbourne with no luggage. I understand that issues with delayed and cancelled flights can and do happen but the total lack of communication was unacceptable. Staff basically didn't want to know us and we were left stranded. Totally unacceptable, especially for a business class customer.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  16 May 2012 by N Woolfe    (Australia)

I have just flown from Melbourne to Sydney and it was the most dreadful airline I have ever flown. The check- in procedure at Melbourne Airport was appalling and I waited over 1 hour just to drop my bags off despite having an e-ticket. Staff were rude and abrupt and when I complained I was told "this is only your opinion". The planes are small and cramped and onboard staff were just as rude and treat you like a sheep not customers. The plane was delayed and very dirty as well. Save your money and book another airline even if it's slightly more expensive.

Jetstar Airways Customer review :  15 May 2012 by D Greenway    (Australia)

Star

I have flown Jetstar for a while now, and to be honest you get what you pay for. Gold Coast to Tokyo was great, staff good, seats fine in star class. Manila to Singapore - no star class on that flight but paid the extra for legroom.