PAGE loading ... please wait!

Air Jamaica Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports (now Caribbean Airlines)

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Add your Air Jamaica customer review

Air Jamaica detailed 3-Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : Air Jamaica
3.8 out of 10  3.8 out of 10

1 2

YOU CAN VOTE   HERE  FOR THE AIRLINE OF THE YEAR

Air Jamaica customer review :  17 December 2010 by Andrey Gerasenkov   (USA)

JFK-MBJ-JFK. The outward journey was on a very old, tired-looking and dirty A320. We (a family of 3) were assigned seats in different rows, although we reserved specific seats when we made the reservation. The flight attendants were not cooperative in helping us find seating next to each other, but luckily one of our fellow passengers switched with my wife and at least our 7 year old son got to sit next to her. Took of on time, landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule. No IFE, no food served. The return journey was a refurbished but equally dirty A319. The flight was delayed by more than 1 hour. Two different conflicting explanations were given by Air Jamaica staff at MBJ. Took off 70 minutes behind schedule, landed 45 minutes behind schedule. Only 3 years ago Air Jamaica was a very pleasant airline to fly on, and I was dismayed to discover that the tables have turned so drastically. I will avoid them in the future especially after the merger with Caribbean Airlines is finalized.

Air Jamaica customer review :  22 November 2010 by Steve Bressi   (USA)

I will miss Air Jamaica Flights 040 and 041 between BWI and MBJ. Through last year the flight times were convenient and the Service was good. I have always found the Air Jamaica staff pleasant and they were the last to drop inflight meal service. But most importantly, one could leave Baltimore at 8am and be on a Jamaican beach in the afternoon, and have almost all day on departure day in Jamaica. When Caribbean Airlines took over they decided to kill the Baltimore route by making it unprofitable. When they reversed the schedule to fly to Jamaica in the evening and leave Jamaica in the morning - they may as well hung out a sign stating "Tourists Not Welcome." No one wants to waste two paid Jamaican hotel nights on a crazy flight schedule. Within a few months the route was cancelled due to lack of profitability. No surprise.

Air Jamaica customer review :  30 October 2010 by K Visses   (Norway)

CUR-MBJ-KIN-BGI. Tickets are quite cheap, ground staff friendly, check in goes fast as you can check in online! In jamaica security staff are a bit arrogant, they check manually every single bag! Free snacks and drinks, good legroom, heard that they will become part of Caribbean Airlines, would fly them again.

Air Jamaica customer review :  26 March 2010 by P Green   (USA)

Air Jamaica's service BWI to MBJ was convenient if a bit lackluster. The ground staff was friendly at check-in but cabin crew seemed had a complacent attitude and could hardly muster a smile. They came through with banana chips or coconut cookies after takeoff along with free soft drinks. That was it for service though. A320 had a worn, tired interior. They distributed free headsets and there was a movie but none of the music channels mentioned in the inflight magazine.

Air Jamaica customer review :  2 February 2010 by D Brown   (USA)

Everyone was very friendly and both flights on time. Pillows and blankets supplied both ways. The only issue was the armrest area to plug in the earphones to watch the inflight movie were not working and it wasn't just my seat, I noticed other passengers were having the same problem - there was no charge for earphones but they were collected at the end of the flight. I think they reuse them, not too sanitary. Drinks and your choice of banana chips or cookies were the only thing served, so bring snacks or a sandwich if you want anything of substance to eat. Overall I would fly with again. Flew out of Baltimore, MD on nonstop flight to Jamaica.

AIR JAMAICA customer review :  10 November 2009 by Terry James   (USA)

Chicago to Montego Bay and back. Plane left (and arrived) early on both the outbound and return flights. No problems with check in or with the bags. They served drinks and offered a small bag of dried banana chips or cookies in both directions (nothing hot and nothing to buy). Service okay but nothing special. Only problem was that the entertainment system was not working in either direction. Major reasons to use Air Jamaica are the schedule and the fact that no connection is needed to get to Montego Bay.

AIR JAMAICA customer review :  23 October 2009 by A Sampson   (USA)

Chicago to Montego Bay return. Check-in done very well. Had drinks and a movie on the flight down but no food other than a 'snack box' that was for sale. Service on the flight was ok but rather ho-hum. Check-in in Montego Bay took forever due to the large number of people in line. Flight back was late taking off as the plane did not arrive in Montego Bay on time. Liked the price of the ticket, the schedule, and the fact that they do not charge for the first bag. Did not like the late return departure and the lack of included food on such a long flight. I would rate Air Jamaica slightly (very slightly) better than the low standards of most major US airlines.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 15 September 2009 : by Fred Gross

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

ORD-MBJ-ORD on A320. The best feature of the trip down is the early departure time which gets me to be beach by noon. Air Jamaica has stopped serving food (only drinks) since my last flight. Service fine but nothing special on this trip. Return flight was, as is normal for Air Jamaica, about an hour late in departing MBJ. Had to by dinner at the airport in Montego Bay. Best feature of the return trip is being able to leave the hotel after lunch for the airport. AJ provides good basic transportation to/from Jamaica with a great schedule but thats about it.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 13 August 2009 : by E Armstrong

1 Star Rating

This was the worst airline ever! My husband and I went to Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. We booked our flights through Expedia several months ahead of time. The airline canceled our return flight home and rescheduled it for the next day. No one bothered to even tell us this useful bit of information until we called to confirm our flights. When we asked for a voucher for our having to pay for another hotel night, or some kind of upgrade on our flight they said "no, we don't do that." Your only option is to cancel! By then it was too late to book any reasonable price with another airline. When we boarded they had changed my window seat to a seat in the back of the plane that did not recline and gave me attitude because I wanted a change back to what I had purchased. When I asked for a blanket they rudely told me "there are no blankets for coach". Long wait for drinks and I was ignored when I asked for a snack for my sleeping husband.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 15 July 2009 : by R James

1 Star Rating

This airline is one to avoid. Broken seats, lazy crew, no inflight meal and only 1 small drink on our 3.5 hour flight from Jamaica to New York. Arrived to find our luggage had gone missing. Then 48 hours later, still no luggage and the insult of being offered $25 to compensate us. The bag cost more than that, let alone the contents! We are disgusted.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 15 May 2009 : by T Potter

1 Star Rating

During a recent trip to Negril Jamaica we had a major medical problem and had to delay for one day. The reservations clerk told us it would be $150 each to reschedule - then the clerk said no, this is a one way (it was our original booking) it will be $280 for each, a total of $560. This is a rip-off pure and simple. A terrible airline and I will never fly it again.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 13 January 2009 : by D Dunn

1 Star Rating

Original plan to fly JFK to Grenada. Air Jamaica with short notice cancelled the return flight and replaced it 1 day later. We were lucky to have a room available for the extra day during our hotel's busy season. I tried to contact customer service to express my complaint and was told to send e-mail. After several messages stating that e-mail could not be delivered I finally got one to go through but no one responded. I tried to pre-register on- line within the 4-24 hours prior to the flight but I was unable to. We were told to arrive three hours prior to our departure time of 0630 but the ticket counter was not staffed until 0500. They started to board the plane which had been at the gate all night and then had to stop due to a maintenance issue. After the three hour delay we boarded and taxied to the runway but was then told one of the generators would not start and had to return to the gate. It took 2.5 hours to make the repairs during which time many passengers became edgy and the pilot was slow in keeping the passengers informed of the progress. Finally we were off and arrived 6 hours later than scheduled (total of 7.5 hours on the plane). I again tried to pre-register on-line within the 4-24 hours prior to the return flight but I was unable to. On our return flight which was stated as nonstop, some but not all of the passengers were informed that we needed to stop in Kingston Jamaica to refuel the plane which had just arrived from Montego Bay. This made a nonstop flight of 5 hours last an additional 2 hours for a total of 7 hours on the plane which is not great when you have back pain as I do. AJ makes this flight several times per week so they should have known that refueling would be necessary and should not advertise the flight as nonstop which is the main reason for selecting them. It would appear more logical to refuel the plane while it was at Montego Bay or while it was in Grenada but maybe there is a difference in the fuel cost. It seems that Air Jamaica has a reputation of being late, I will not use them again.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 22 December 2008 : by C Charles

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

I fly with Air Jamaica twice annually from Grenada to New York aboard the Airbus 320/321. Their food is above average for airline food, they offer movies for the inflight entertainment. Flight Attendants are courteous, friendly and cooperative. They offer champagne inflight which is complimentary. The obstacle hindering them is their punctuality, they just cant seem to have one week of operation without delays.

AIR JAMAICA customer review : 1 December 2008 : by Paul Shindelus

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

While it wasn't the worst flight experience I've ever had, it left a poor first impression and I will think twice before flying them again. The first leg, LAX to Montego Bay left 45 minutes late because the crew was so slow cleaning the cabin. It was almost comical: they announced 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time that they were about to begin boarding, and by departure time we were all still standing there waiting to board and listening to our third or fourth "We're sorry for the delay but the crew is still in the process of cleaning the cabin" announcement. Naturally the flight arrived late to Jamaica as a consequence. The onboard service was below average: the flight attendants were not rude, but seemed indifferent to the passengers and unenthused about their jobs. Two of them even got into a minor argument in the middle of the aisle because one didn't think the other was being aggressive enough in telling people to raise their seatbacks before landing. So while the flight to MBJ wasn't without problems, it wasn't anything I couldn't forgive. However, the flight back to LAX was a nightmare and likely sealed my fate as a "one-and-done" Air Jamaica customer. We arrived at the airport 3 hours early, and it's a good thing, because we spent a ridiculous 1 hour, 45 minutes in the ticket line! I don't know if they didn't have enough check-in people or the ones they had were too slow, but if we'd arrived 2 hours early as the airline industry recommends for international flights, we'd likely have missed our flight. We had the same problem with late boarding that we'd incurred at LAX, they announced they were about to begin boarding and then it took 20 minutes to actually begin. Then we get on the plane and they told us our non-stop flight had been changed to include a stop in Miami. The reasons they gave were the direct MBJ-LAX route was experiencing turbulence (although the MIA/LAX route we ended up taking turned out to be awfully turbulent); and (2) with a full flight and headwinds, the plane would not make it all the way to LAX. Honestly, what kind of airline schedules a non-stop flight that can't make it to its destination non-stop? Full flights and headwinds can and should be anticipated when airline schedules are being made. So we flew to Miami, spent more than an hour on the tarmac getting refueled, and continued on to LAX. Once again we had an indifferent, unenthusiastic flight crew that provided service that was average at best. We arrived about an hour-and-a-half late because of the Miami fiasco. Not only was that a major inconvenience for us, but as the plane was immediately returning to MBJ on a red-eye, a huge inconvenience for the passengers of that flight as well. If there were positives, they didn't lose our luggage, they didn't cancel our flight (I've read Air Jamaica is notorious for last-minute cancelations), they served free champagne in coach, the meals were free (unlike some carriers) and were actually not bad for airline food. But overall it was a difficult and disappointing experience, especially on the return flight.

1 2