PAGE loading ... please wait!

Island Air Passenger Reviews and Island Air Customer Trip Reports

PAGE:   1 | 2 |

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  20 April 2014 by C Dunlop    (Australia)

After so many negative comments I believe a positive is in order. Honolulu to Lanai check in a breeze, courteous and friendly we paid $17 per bag but now only $15. Flight basically on time aircraft ATR quite comfortable after all flight is only 24 minutes. 2 Flight attendants very friendly juice and water offered. Bags delivered promptly. Will fly them back to HNL and will only post if flight is any less enjoyable.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Pat Wagner    (USA)

We had reservations on Island Air from Kauai to Honolulu. We would have had 2.5 hours to catch our connecting flight from Honolulu to Spokane on Allegiant. Island Air cancelled the flight due to weather. The next flight an hour later was cancelled due to mechanical issues. They had no other flights that would get us to our connecting flight on time. Island Air could not re-schedule our flight on another airline until they could confirm Allegiant's take off time. Allegiant only flies out of Honolulu once a week so if you miss the flight, you're out of luck. They were putting people on Hawaiian Airlines so they could meet connecting flights but couldn't figure out how to do if for us. They told us we were not priority! We spent 15 hours in the Kauai airport before getting a flight back to Spokane (on Alaska). We will never fly Island Air again.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Mark Fenners    (Hong Kong)

We are at Kahului airport on Maui and have just been told that a runway in Honolulu has been closed and that our 11.19am flight has been cancelled. And so they have merged our flight with the 12.59pm flight which is now delayed to 1.10pm. That's a 2 hour delay on a 45 min flight. They then said that it was due to a 6 lane highway closure in Honolulu which has led to their crew missing the flight to Kahului. So far we have established that the only flight to Kahului prior to our 11.19am departure has arrived, it left Honolulu on time. And Hawaiian airlines have confirmed that they have had no delays due to a runway closure. I recommend that you don't book Island Air for any journey in the Hawaiian islands.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  19 November 2013 by A Blake    (Canada)

This was the worst flying experience of our lives. We were lied to repeatedly by staff on both ends of our flight, they blamed staff in the other location for our flight problems. They held us in the airport for 4 hours and promised repeatedly we would make our 2 connecting flights, meanwhile many flights were going off the island and they held us without putting us on other flights. After telling us our connection would be held for us (11 passengers we making this connection), they rushed us off the plane to tell us our connection was leaving without us. We demanded they take us to the plane and they refused. After hours of deliberation, they offered us flights in lieu that were clearly the lowest in value, with large lay-overs and that got us home over a day later than we had planned to be home. The attendant assured us all mix-ups result in first class flights to our destination. We confirmed this with her twice. After staying in a hotel with $10 compensation voucher for our trouble, we checked in to learn that the flights were lowest price economy. Again, we were lied to. A manager told me he was not responsible for what his staff said to us and could not do anything about the mix-up on our flight class.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  4 October 2013 by Caroline Eagar    (Australia)

I recently flew from Sydney Australia to Honolulu and then had a flight scheduled to fly to Kauai, leaving at 7.05pm, this was altered 6 times before we finally departed at 11.05pm arriving at Lihue at 11.45pm. During the time of waiting we were offered water, nothing was open and we were hungry. I finally asked a "Customer Service" person if they could locate something to eat ie chocolate bars, her response everything is locked up and we don't have the key". It does get better, when we landed a Lihue, because of the lateness of the hour, no taxis were available, leaving women stranded. Finally located a security guard who got a taxi driver and arrived at our accommodation at 1.40pm. The trip back was no better.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  30 August 2013 by D Silvey    (Canada)

Booked a 6.55am flight Molokai - Honolulu. Was called the night before it was cancelled and we were put on 8.10am. Arrive at airport and told we have to fly to Lanaii first. At this point it looks like a 2 hour delay getting to Honolulu. We were 1/2 hour late boarding then sat on the tarmac 1.5 hours waiting for the pilot to do weight calculations. Passengers were removed (as well as luggage). Finally get into Honolulu 4 hours past what originally needed. Standing at luggage pick up waiting for our luggage which doesn't come. Then, there is an announcement some of the luggage is coming on a later flight. We can come back or get it delivered to our hotel. We stood in line to fill in paperwork to have it delivered. I travel quite a bit and have had glitches but this is nuts. This was my first time with Island Air and my last.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  7 August 2013 by David Peterson    (USA)

My wife and I fly inter-island all the time, and back to the mainland every year. We booked a flight 4 months ago, and rec'd an email the night before that our flights (both ends of the round-trip) were cancelled. We were seated on a flight 3 hours later than our original, meaning that we'd lose a day of our vacation and our return trip now had a 2 hour layover. and didn't even return us to the correct island! When we finally got on the plane we sat on the runway, without air conditioning, for half an hour. This happened on every leg of our trip. We're going to pay whatever it takes to avoid flying this airline ever again, and I strongly suggest that you pay the extra few dollars to avoid this terrible experience.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  30 May 2013 by B Selkirk    (Canada)

Honolulu to Lihue return April 2013. Plane was a basic older style aircraft, but comfortable enough for the short 40 min flight. Flight staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. However, Flight to/from Lihue were extremely delayed, with no updates from Island Air staff other than to announce further delays. My observation is that very log delays appear to be the norm for Island Air on all flights. Our extremely delayed flight from Lihue to Honolulu meant we missed our connecting flight, despite Island Air representatives assuring us that we would make the connection. We had to find airport accommodation at our own expense at midnight as there were no Island to staff to assist. Wont fly Island Air again unless we absolutely have to and don't have a connecting flight to make.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  29 May 2013 by L Mae    (USA)

My mother in law and I took a one day trip on Island Air to Molokai. We left a few minutes late. Our flight back to Honolulu was at 6pm. We got there at 4.30pm and were not told that our flight would be delayed until 9.30pm. The only reason we found out that it was delayed was when we asked a TSA agent a question about checking in and that is when he asked if we knew our flight had been delayed. During the 5 hour wait, no one even mentioned about any updates or a repeated message that the flight was delayed. When we did get on at 9.30, the only apology was from the stewardess and that was it. I don't think I would recommend this airline.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  23 May 2013 by Amy Osullivan    (USA)

There has been consistent daily delays to Molokai. I have waited in the commuter terminal for 3-4 hours to get on a 15 minute flight to Molokai. I see that the same aircraft is going back and forth between Honolulu, Lihue and Lanai and Kapalua but when the delays piggyback, the Molokai flight will be pushed back to accommodate the passengers on later flights to other destinations. Customer service podium is empty with no notification of delay until you look at the flight board. We can see the customer service personnel on the ramp laughing and chatting with co-workers, they show no concern for all the passengers in the terminal waiting for someone to come in. When you finally get a hold of someone and ask them what's the delay they say its due to the late arrival of the aircraft. We were delayed 3 times because management changed their mind on where the plane should go. It was announced that when our aircraft comes from Lihue it will continue on to Molokai, however when the plane lands they change their mind and inform us its going to Lanai on time. This causes us to be pushed back 2 more hours. Don't get on the new planes, they cant land on Molokai and Lanai with more than half a load of passengers. It takes 3 times longer to board and unload. I don't recommend Island Air.

ISLAND AIR Customer review :  18 April 2013 by Mike Palmer    (UK)

Island Air got us safely between Honolulu and Molokai and that is where the good news finishes. Chaotic transfer at Honolulu where you wait in a nondescript lobby until an Island Air rep appears and takes you airside, along the apron and back into a domestic lounge to avoid security a second time. 30 mins late O/B with no explanation or apology on a Dash 8 100 which was tatty inside, dirty with defective seats (due to be phased out soon) Water was offered on the 25 min flight with no PAs from the flightdeck. Return was 90 mins late with no explanation or apology on a recently acquired ATR 72. Clean inside though the interior is already worn and tatty despite being a new addition to the fleet. No inflight PAs again and a water or rum punch offered on the 30 min flight. Unlikely to chose them again - the fare wasn't cheap which reflects the limited choice of airline into Molokai.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  12 March 2013 by Grover Harms   (USA)

Scheduled to depart Lanai today at 4pm. We arrived to the airport at 1.30pm. Due to weather, our flight was delayed. After waiting 6 hours, I found out that our scheduled flight was rescheduled for 10.50pm. I went up to the counter and the ticketing agent said there was an earlier flight leaving at 8.30pm but there was only one seat available. Of course this wouldn't work for me and my wife. Allegedly, they made announcements for passengers to get rescheduled to a new flight. I say "allegedly" because I didn't hear any announcement - and - I have been waiting here for 8+ hours. Adding insult to injury, there is no food available at the Lanai airport. By the time we "may" catch a flight back to Honolulu, I will be starving. One would think that the passengers waiting the longest would "automatically" get rescheduled for the next available flight. There is just one gate and barely 50 passengers (total) waiting around. How hard could it be? The least they could do is make food available.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  8 March 2013 by D Mayo   (USA)

Left Honolulu on Island Air, turned back due to a mechanical problem - 3 hour delay. No explanation other than "we'll try to get you there." When we got ready to leave Lanai, the staff at the airport Island Air counter were rude and unprofessional. I realize customer service is an almost dead art form, but, you would think they could do a bit better given the poor service provided. I can understand a delay due to mechanical problems, I can't understand unprofessional and rude employees on top of that. This was the only negative aspect of my trip to Lanai.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  31 January 2013 by L Montgomery   (USA)

We booked 2 flights, one from Maui to Lihue and then a few days later, from Lihue to Kona. Prior to leaving on vacation, I received a call that due to 'equipment issues', my family was reassigned to Go Airlines for the Lihue to Kona leg. We had to check our bags on Go Airlines because the overhead bins only fit purses. The night before we were to leave Maui, I tried to see if I could book a later flight online and my confirmation number 'didn't exist'. I contacted Island Air and after waiting on hold for 20 min, was informed that my family had been reassigned to Hawaiian Airlines and the flight was leaving an hour earlier than our scheduled time. When asked why another flight had been changed, again I was told 'equipment problems'. Had I not called the night before leaving Maui, we would have missed the flight and it would have taken us 12 hours to get from Maui to Lihue, a one-half hour flight. As it was we had to fly through Honolulu, change planes with two hour wait in between flights.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  3 April 2012 by C Krueger   (USA)

HNL-MKK roundtrip. Late both ways, 3 hours late MKK-HNL. Surly staff, especially in Molokai. Two-thirds of our group missed their mainland connection home. Very little help and it took them more then 36 extra hours to get home.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  8 March 2012 by John Wilson   (Hawaii)

They get you there but with old turboprops and often delays. Just now they announced flight HON to Kapalua would be 90 min late. They don't do text or email updates either. Wish they would just pay a little more attention.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  29 December 2011 by T Kaehlert   (Japan)

Had online booking for family of 4 for 9.35 am service from Honolulu to Kapalua (Maui). Check-in was average and the expected 45 $ fee for 3 pieces of checked in luggage. No mention of a potential delay. After security noticed all earlier flights were significantly delayed and that the displays in the departure hall did not display the situation fully. At 9.20 they gave the first indication of a 90 min delay. This ended up being 3.5 hrs delay. Two planes were in Honolulu and both needed repairs, which led to significant delays of all flights that day. Once we got going the inflight entertainment by the flight attendant was quite amusing and the views nice. This was certainly not enough to forget the dismal performance in terms of delay and customer performance.

ISLAND AIR customer review :  7 January 2010 by O Alcantara   (Mexico)

HNL-JHM I dint have many things to expect from this airline. When I first saw the planes in the Honolulu InterIsland Terminal, which I can say they take you a while for security, I thought it was not bad. And well first thing I notice is that they dont give you seat numbers. And also that the seat doesn't go back , but really for 30 min. flights is not so necessary. My destination was Kapalua, and one reason of why should I fly with them again is the altitude the plane flies. Is not so high and it let you see all the islands and oceans. The only beverage they gave me was water but its ok. The punctuality was not perfect, we arrived 7 minutes late but for the baggage is very fast. I recommend you this airline. The only thing is that I flew with them is because the other airport in Maui that also goes Hawaiian Airlines, is 1 hour by car from my hotel, so maybe if I would been to a nearer place of the other airport I have been used Hawaiian Airlines because is about 30 dollars the ticket, cheaper, I don't think they charge u for baggage, Island Air charges you 10 per piece and the aircraft is a little better.

Island Air - by C Warsh

26 October 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 5 Star Rating

HNL to ITO. I must say that after flying Hawaiian Interisland several times the Dash 8-100 aircraft are different.In flight service was good - the flight attendant gave us a standard safety briefing and served coffee, water, or juice. The planes arent as quiet as the B717's but certainly nothing to fret about- the engines gave a nice low hum and nothing too ear shattering. The nice part of the Dash-8's is that each window seat has a view of below, however your upper view plane is blocked by the engine pylon unless you are sitting in the first two rows. Another nice part of the Dash-8 is no middle seat. The interesting parts of flying with Island Air is the open seating policy and then the fact that you might be requested to change seats in order to balance the plane. Island Air's main weaknesses are competitive pricing and schedules- I had to pay about $8 more to fly Island Air over Aloha and their only HNL-ITO flight fit my schedule well, but the only return flight leaves too early for my planned return, hence I have to fly one of the other three carriers (tonight it will be Aloha Airlines). Also the Dash-8's are showing their age big time- they have clean cabins but very worn out and in need of repair/replacement. The seats are small in width but generous with the leg room. As far as Inter- Island travel goes I would travel with Island Air again. Friendly staff, efficient check-in, safe and clean planes, and true aloha spirit. Also Island Air is very much on-time. Give them a try if your schedule and finances permit it - you will not be disappointed

Island Air - by Stephane Gallon

20 April 2007   Customer Trip Rating : n/a

HNL-LNY-HNL-MKK-HNL (island hopping) in Hawaii. All flights on time. All flights short (30 minutes). Fast and efficient service on all legs. One drink - water or juice - offered per flight. Only complaint is "open" seat policy : no set assignment so everybody fights to board first and secure best seats (front rows, especially since wing prevents from watching magnificent seas and lands flown over).

Island Air- by Robert Clark

18 May 2006

Island Air is a great way to island hop through Hawaii. It uses much smaller aircraft therefore able to depart quicker if everyone shows. I flew Island Air HNL-ITO, ITO-OGG, and OGG-HNL in Feb 06. The longest flight is maybe 1 hour, so it leaves little time for something bad to happen. Honolulu terminal has free coffee, a very nice staff. On board, one flight attendant. A drink is served, your choice of water, juice or coffee. The male attendant would take everyones order, then get the drinks. Island Air is also very good about pointing out landmarks, historical facts, and when you could see whales in the water. The attendant on board the OGG-HNL, an older American female was bilingual in English and Japanese. The service was good everywhere, but a little irritating at ITO with a person handing out customer surveys, and sharing the same gate as an Aloha Airlines, confusing many passengers on when to board being that both flights were headed to OGG. The flights were all error free and enjoyable, and on the Star Alliance program for those with United FF miles.

PAGE:   1 | 2 |